Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone has ever heard of subgenre of isekai genre known as 'Otome Isekai'?

New
Dec 27, 2023 7:17 PM

Aug 2021
Recently, we've been getting these types of isekai that are supposed to be targeted towards women. For those of you who do not know, Otome Isekai is a subgenre of isekai where a female MC gets transported to a world resembling dating sims made for women.

Isekai fans, if you consume any anime from this genre, what do you think about this subgenre and the anime you have consumed from this specific genre?

Dec 27, 2023 7:43 PM
Sep 2022
The anime title, "My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!" was actually pretty good. Though set in a magical fantasy world, the scenery in the backgrounds bore a rather conspicuous resemblance to depictions of 19th Century Vienna in historic period pieces.
Dec 27, 2023 8:04 PM
Oct 2019
So far very few been produced around 5 titles the sub genre is more popular in manga/LN the anime industry might take a few years to come overlapping with the scene. Just like the previous comments of all those produced so far only one was really good and it's the only one with two seasons and a movie coming up all the rest range from mediocre to plain awful.
Dec 27, 2023 8:14 PM

Feb 2016
I've played a few otome games and even watched adaptations of otome games. I haven't watched anything from this new genre of isekai, however, because they do not resemble any of my favorite games.
その目だれの目?
Dec 27, 2023 9:27 PM

Feb 2020
Never heard of this one before, I guess.
Dec 27, 2023 10:55 PM

May 2021
I just watched one of those this last season called I’m in Love With the Villainess, which I only picked up for the yuri aspect, and I ended up really enjoying it! It was ridiculous and fun and I liked the transported to a dating sim angle which was all very surprising to me (not something I’d ever imagine liking)

I might just give some others a try now lol
Dec 27, 2023 11:32 PM
Jul 2017
I know the genre originated in Japan, but the genre has gained a lot of popularity in Korea, so there are tons of Korean otome isekai manhwa and novels.
Dec 27, 2023 11:39 PM

May 2019
From this fall season, Watashi no Oshi wa Akuyaku Rekijou / I'm in Love with the Villainess. This is also my first exposure to the genre. I see there are so many titles with villainess in it but this one just hits different. I love the series not only for it's slowburn girls' love between Rae and Claire but also for how overt the story on homosexuality and queer struggles. These past two months have been a blessing ever since I completed the LNs, it's so good. I remember checking out this show because of its yuri element. So I'm not entirely sure if I want to see more from this genre but I think I'll watch one if there is other otome that catch my interest.

Dec 28, 2023 12:00 AM

May 2018
"Anyone has ever heard of subgenre of isekai genre known as 'Otome Isekai'?"

Wow, OP is like years late noticing those...and we are talking about the modern incarnations like Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei Shiteshimatta, which even name drops the whole "otome game" thing.
Some of the earlier isekai were shoujo targeted too, like Fushigi Yuugi, Magic Knight Rayearth, Juuni Kokuki ect,
Dec 28, 2023 12:47 AM

Sep 2018
It's even more repetitive than standard isekai.
Dec 28, 2023 4:45 AM

Mar 2012
Except for WataOshi I have liked every otome isekai I've watched so far. Gaming elements like levels and popup screens are what make me hate isekai which are rarely present in otome isekai so far.
Dec 28, 2023 4:53 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
personally, i find them enjoyable and a bit more appealing than regular isekai, but i would struggle to think of one that i would actually recommend another human being, due to them usualy being mediocre or bad in regards to most elements from production qualities to writing.
Dec 28, 2023 11:08 PM

Jun 2016
It's been my favourite genre of manga for a while, but I feel the adaptations usually aren't very good. Hamefura aside. Specifically I like the villainess ones.

The anime adaptations tend to get the pacing wrong for webtoons and the resources they poor into these series tends to be on the low side. There's also the choice of manga to adapt, Raeliana for example was a webtoon that I entirely forgot the contents of once I finished reading it.

There are a lot of dud manga in the genre though. My favourites ranked would be.

• Isn't the Villainess' Punishment to Enter Into a Political Marriage With an Autocrat Too Lenient!? (Only read 7 chapters, but these dweebs are just so delightful).
  • With One Day Left I'll Break All the Destruction Flags: "Serves You Right!" RTA 24 Hour Record
  • Prison Life is Easy for a Villainess (The manga was great, but it's incomplete. The web novel source was very much not great. Poorly written and paced).
  • Naturally, I Demand Restitution!, The Cost of a Broken Heart (Chapter 17 was so satisfying).
  • Villains Are Destined to Die
  • Villainess Level 99: I May Be the Hidden Boss but I'm Not the Demon Lord (Being adapted this season, I haven't checked out the adaptation yet).
  • Endo and Kobayashi Live! The Latest on Tsundere Villainess Lieselotte (The manga had better reaction faces than the anime, but I ended up watching the anime anyway because it was ahead of the manga).
  • I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss (The generic Disney music alone was enough to disqualify the adaptation, or I assume. All I know is that it was boring).

(I'm not considering The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady as Otome Isekai)
(I'm also treating certain noblewoman fantasy series as Otome Isekai, I think hardly any of what I listed are actualy Isekai).
Tenderizer79Dec 29, 2023 3:58 PM
Dec 28, 2023 11:49 PM

Jun 2021
Not all of them are targeted towards women. Trapped in a Dating Sim is my favorite Otome Isakei. In this anime, the MC is a "background mob" character trapped in a super shittily designed dating sim. The premise can appeal equally regardless since the idea is more about being stuck in a shitty, unfair, and horrid world rather than being involved with a reverse dating sim. There's also Endo and Kobayashi Live!... but I guess that's not really an Isakei. Regardless, I think it's just a simple RomCom that anyone could potentially enjoy. It's only certain shows like My Next Life as the Villainess or I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss that are more towards the female audience since one of the big selling points is whether the female MC can find romantic success with a dating sim character.
I like apple pie. I also like gaming. Man's two greatest inventions.

Dec 29, 2023 12:00 AM

Jan 2023
I've heard about it (quite a lot these last couple of years actually), but I did not have the curiosity/desire to watch one so far :)

More topics from this board

» What is an "ironic weeaboo"?

IdeDial - 5 hours ago

7 by TheMechaManiac »»
3 seconds ago

» What are some shows/movies that anime fans would like?

APolygons2 - Yesterday

36 by APolygons2 »»
3 minutes ago

» How accurate is your country and countrymen portrayed in Anime?

Dragevard - May 28

18 by RudeRedis »»
11 minutes ago

» Has a canon ship ever ruined a show for you? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 24

50 by bucciest »»
20 minutes ago

» Misconceptions about anime in general or specific titles that continue to spread despite everything

RobertBobert - May 26

27 by bucciest »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.