Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 16, 2023 11:30 AM
Apr 2017
My surefire foolproof way to better this website is to instantly ban anyone that gives Death Note a score exceeding 7/10. 
TheFireNinja said:
The community is the main thing. We got too many couch potatoes on this site trying to appear like scholars and criticizing others for how they watch and rate anime rather than enjoying it for the leisure activity that it is. Virtue signalers are also annoying. They devote a lot of energy into complaining about things in anime they find problematic. They criticize members of the community for not being as emotional about things that bother them. But at the same time, you never know if these people are actually doing anything of substance to better the world or people in it beyond getting on soapboxes to complain about events or people in a show that don't even exist.
I'm deeply confused by your reply mate, since it's not an answer to the OP's question? This is basically you venting about people whose opinions you don't agree with, just because you aren't privy to the ignore function of this website? Is that it? You seem to have quite a few grievances about how people consume the media, maybe you should try to enjoy it for the leisure activity that it is?
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Jul 16, 2023 11:33 AM

Dec 2018
Upgrade the forums to xenforo instead of conversation/reddit view, which would at least make the forums more usable and stable.

Jul 16, 2023 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
Kurgo said:
My surefire foolproof way to better this website is to instantly ban anyone that gives Death Note a score exceeding 7/10. 
TheFireNinja said:
The community is the main thing. We got too many couch potatoes on this site trying to appear like scholars and criticizing others for how they watch and rate anime rather than enjoying it for the leisure activity that it is. Virtue signalers are also annoying. They devote a lot of energy into complaining about things in anime they find problematic. They criticize members of the community for not being as emotional about things that bother them. But at the same time, you never know if these people are actually doing anything of substance to better the world or people in it beyond getting on soapboxes to complain about events or people in a show that don't even exist.
I'm deeply confused by your reply mate, since it's not an answer to the OP's question? This is basically you venting about people whose opinions you don't agree with, just because you aren't privy to the ignore function of this website? Is that it? You seem to have quite a few grievances about how people consume the media, maybe you should try to enjoy it for the leisure activity that it is?
Do you have a problem with my opinion? Because that seems to be the only reason why you would bother replying to me in a thread about people's opinions about how to make the site better. And I don't see how what I said in my post has no relevance to the topic when the community and the forums are a part of what make up this site. Do I have some strong feelings about the points that I made? Yes. And that's because of my own personal experience using the site and what I feel that makes the site not as good as it could be for users. So, I would maybe re-evaluate who needs to use the ignore function since you obviously have no awareness or understanding of what an opinion is.
removed-userJul 16, 2023 12:08 PM
Jul 16, 2023 12:04 PM

Aug 2018
we should be able to react to posts the same way people react to reviews. Well not quite like that, but better.
Jul 16, 2023 12:18 PM

Aug 2020
Being a more accurate database should be everybody's number 1....
Keep scrolling
Jul 16, 2023 12:22 PM

Jun 2023
Besides many thoughts and opinions about the community......

Being able to categorize your anime list into sub-lists would be great; something like the shelving system on Goodreads.
What have you done today to deserve your eyes?

Jul 16, 2023 12:22 PM

Jul 2015
Cracking down on abundance of trolls on this forum. Ishinashi did like 500+ accounts already and for some reason is not getting bored.
Also, giving us an option to block/ignore someone with one push of a button, not requiring going through dozens of tabs in settings page and then manually typing in a name would be a good idea.

Also, fix the reviews.
Just because there is only one negative review, that all haters flocked to in order to validate their shit take, doesn't mean the review is good.
When an author has an argument in their head (which they lose) and hyperfixiates on one subjectively negative aspect of the show and completely disregards entire rest, then the reviews is rather bad, but people will have an impression that this is what this show is about, because that review is "top rated". This applies to almost every popular and critically acclaimed show.

Also, it's been three years, so I'm not sure if Discord mods are still do damn insensitive and powertripping, but droping a banhammer over literally anything, even when it's not even controversial, nor problematic is rather petty.
PiromyslJul 16, 2023 12:54 PM

Jul 16, 2023 12:36 PM

Jun 2016
If I could list my plan to watch list by scores ascending and desccending.

If we could have stats like VAs average score by anime watched. 

If there could be more accurate recommendations.

If we could show show anime by coutries they're made in.

Some of these things I feel like I'm getting them through other sites that work with MAL like anime.plus and that just feel weird because I wouldn't have too if MAL had them. Also, it seems that some of these suggestion have already been made but aren't implemented.
Jul 16, 2023 12:40 PM

Jan 2013
Piromysl said:
Cracking down on abundance of trolls on this forum. Ishinashi did like 500+ accounts already and for some reason is not getting bored.
Also, giving us an option to block/ignore someone with one push of a button, not requiring going through dozens of tabs in settings page and then manually typing in a name would be a good idea.

Also, fix the reviews.
Just because there is only one negative review, that all haters flocked to in order to validate their shit take, doesn't mean the review is good.
When an author has an argument in their head (which they lose) and hyperfixiates on one subjectively negative aspect of the show and completely disregards entire rest, then the reviews is rather bad, but people will have an impression that this is what this show is about, because that review is "top rated". This applies to almost every popular and critically acclaimed show.
Don't forget reviews that are on top because they're 90% "confusing" votes, but it's still the first thing people are going to see and read.  
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 16, 2023 1:54 PM

Aug 2014
For me, increasing the favorites number to at least 15 for free and the 20 can just stay the same. Or another option that'd be cool is to have 20 for free and 30 if you pay. Also I'd love to see a separation between Light Novels and Manga since they are very different things. It feels a tad unfair if I have a favorite LN (series), but it gets mixed with my favorite manga.
Jul 16, 2023 8:11 PM

Feb 2023
offjv said:
I've been using the site for 5 months and I'm really enjoying it

I suppose we're the same in that regard seeing how both of us joined in February this year and have Subaru in our avatars and profile pics, except I'm not exactly enjoying the site all that much these days.

Hitagi__Furude said:
First thing that come to mind is increasing the number of favorites to 20 for each category & not turn that feature into a DLC!!!

I second this.

Jengamouse said:
Fix the damn reviews. Add a dislike button, because whenever there's a terrible review it still gets tons of interaction with "confusing" and gets boosted to the top anyway. There are so many anime pages where the top review is some contrarian bullshit.

And this too. The current review system is garbage and in need of a revamp. Also, get rid of the 30 character rules while you're at it.
StyxParadiseAug 1, 2023 4:01 PM
Jul 16, 2023 8:13 PM
Aug 2015
Maybe they could get rid of the bot scores on the anime?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2023 8:21 PM

Dec 2021
By not having pointless subscriptions.
Rosa Umineko Drip

The Witch of Badassery.
Jul 16, 2023 9:02 PM

Apr 2023
OiantakuYT said:
Combine separated seasons into one entry and allow export/import to/from imdb.

And change the terrible review system already.
I disagree with the first point - I'm relatively new but I've already found that being able to rate seasons seperately helps a lot. If they were combined, would I have to decide between lumping the so-so seasons in with a higher rating, or lumping the better seasons in to a lower rating? What if a different studio picks up an anime a season or two later, and just totally sh*ts the bed?
In my mind it definitely helps differentiate.
Jul 16, 2023 10:30 PM

Oct 2021
Add an actual advanced anime search like anime planet has where you can pick or mix and match genres, themes, demographics and anything else to find very specific anime and get good detailed results for it. 

If you use the current search, you can only pick one genre or theme at a time to find the big display list and use the filters like series not in my list. If you select multiple genres and themes it turns into a messy unordered wordy list I don't even want to look at.. why doesn't mal have a better advanced search despite being the biggest a & m database? I want to conveniently find whatever specific anime I'm craving as efficiently as possible and mal's current advanced search isn't efficient (unless there's a secret feature everyone but me knows of)

tldr;

I want this for my advanced search: 

Instead of this:

Mal can take some inspiration from how neat and efficient aniplanet's search is:

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Don't try and get me to cook
I can take care of anything
else but not that

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Jul 16, 2023 10:58 PM

Jul 2022
- being able to react to posts (sometimes you just really wanna agree without posting "I agree!" reply) 
- decimals (I am a Libra, ok, decisions are hard) 
- reviews (being able to see the new ones and the most popular ones, a choice is always nice) 
- I don´t understand why you have to pay to add more favourite characters; I get you need to introduce some features worth paying, but this is just dumb and certainly not enough to make me pay anyway. 
- light novels should definitely have their own category 
- being able to see all the seasons under "sequels" on the main page of the anime 
- not allowing people to rate the show until it has officially started 
- being able to customize your profile better and simpler 

I am surprised to see so many people complaining about reviews and yet no one is ever taking this into consideration :D. 
I was ashamed of myself when I realized life was a costume party, and I attended with my real face. - franz kafka

Jul 16, 2023 11:10 PM

Oct 2021
Making the account customizing easier and adding more manhwa/hua to the lists
Inside of me you’re still living
Each time I think of you pain, suffering, sorrow, despair
You’re just an emotional decay, the one who took my life away
Jul 17, 2023 12:02 AM

May 2015
For starters improving the dark mode.

Remove the stupid ass 30 character limit.

Allow people to have more than 10 favorites of everything for free like normal people, this is one of the things alongside the one above it which I like so much about Anilist that greedy MAL sucks at.

Allow custom fav lists, like for example top favorite anime directors or top favorite OP/ED or split top favorite anime based on the type like fav anime(TV series) favorite movies, favorite OVAs and so on. It's honestly frustrating and annoying we can't split favorite anime based on type, I HATE mixing them all in one favorites list.

Remove BBCode, I don't know if they were experimenting or not but just a week or more ago if you try to make a word bold it would literally become bold not show you something like [ b ] word [ /b ] without space of course, I'm not sure what happened or why they defaulted back to this but they seriously need to end it.

EDIT: Allowing Chinese and Korean animation, webtoons and manhwa/manhua is fine and I would even say needs serious improvement but don't call them or consider them manga and anime or mix them in anything of such sorts like top 50 anime for example because they're not. Custom favorite lists like I mentioned, say top favorite Korean webtoons would be nice too.

Make it possible to log all seasons of one anime as one entry with one unified mean/average score across all seasons, what I'm saying is both options of logging seasons separately or all as one anime should both be possible + seasons of every anime should have 2 scores, the first is the main one and is the season ONLY score and the 2nd should be the mean/average score of the entire anime with all it seasons.

IMPROVE THE DAMN RELATED ANIME, IT'S SERIOUSLY A BIG CONFUSING ANNOYING MESS, ESPECIALLY FOR ANIME WITH BAZILLION ENTRIES.
TheBerserkerJul 17, 2023 12:12 AM
Jul 17, 2023 1:05 AM

Dec 2019
Change profile pictures of some certain characters and increase the space for favorite sections (this one need to).
Jul 17, 2023 1:38 AM

May 2012
Some changes that myanimelist need to do

1- Stop using separated entry for anime that has part 1, part 2

2- Start using official episode number for discussions thread titles.....  Attack on titan The Final Season Part 2 Episode 6 is officially called episode 81 (according to episode itself (after op) and Crunchyroll).........  Iif you watch anime on Crunchyroll (or use Subsplease release) it will be easier for people to find discussion page if use official number
thepathJul 17, 2023 1:41 AM
Jul 17, 2023 5:05 AM

Mar 2018
I would want a better scoring system. Maybe having 0.25 points would be too much but even hahing like half points would be great (For example i had to put an eight in many anime because i thought they deserved better than a seven but not quite like an eight). 
Jul 17, 2023 5:17 AM
Jul 2018
I would like it if you could choose the thumbnail for each character on your profile. Even if it's just from the image pool of them. Some default images are not that great.
Otherwise it would be nice if profile pictures also supported gifs.
Jul 17, 2023 5:49 AM

Apr 2018
Fixing review first of all. Put 2 separated cases like Amazon. One Column : Recommended reviews, One Column : Not recommended 

fixing reviews : Why in hell do we need to put 1000000 words to be on top ? Force to resume, the synopsis etc.. Like who the hell have time to read an essay about an anime that they aren't sure they want to watch ? Like reading 2 reviews takes more time than watching an episode of that anime. 
Have a part of : Art, Characters, Main story, enjoyment is the main thing i read to know if it's good or not. Because i don't want to spend 1 hour to know if an anime is good to watch or not. 
Just take a look on a back page of book. This is summarising. 

Rates : IMO Rates on /20 or /100 might be better. Overall I have lot of 8/10. Mean that they are very good. But some of them is more 7.5 or 8.5. 
Idk maybe i'm the only one struggling ?

Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes.
It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo.
Jul 17, 2023 6:03 AM

Oct 2016
1. Adding more manga to the database.
2. Have a database of visual novels.
3. Have a database of Japanese games.
4. Have a database of Japanese movies and TV shows.
5. Have a database of Japanese magazines.
6. Have a database of Japanese books and novels.

I am a bit tired of using multiple websites.

「鳴な雁, どつこも同じ, うき世ぞや」"Don't cry wild geese, it's the same everywhere - this floating world. ~ Kobayashi Issa" (1763-1828)
Jul 17, 2023 6:07 AM

Jan 2020
Bringing back the fansubs section under an anime
Jul 17, 2023 8:03 AM

Nov 2020
Adding Visual Novels (character count)
Jul 17, 2023 8:16 AM

Nov 2020
APolygons2 said:
drop scale: the affect of one's score when they have dropped the show, should match the amount of the show they have seen. for example, if someone dropped a 20episode long show 2 episodes in and gave it a 1/10, their score should count as "10%" of one normal vote. that way, the bias mal has towards slow burners can go away. it will also lessen the sequel bias by giving an advantage to first seasons.
I think anime that are difficult to get into deserve a penalty 
Jul 17, 2023 8:31 AM

Nov 2019
epidemia78 said:
we should be able to react to posts the same way people react to reviews. Well not quite like that, but better.

You know we have those places called Reddit and 4chan, right?
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jul 17, 2023 8:42 AM
Sep 2021
sort/filter animes by % of 'Recommended' reviews
Jul 17, 2023 9:05 AM

Oct 2019
MarkVijet said:
APolygons2 said:
drop scale: the affect of one's score when they have dropped the show, should match the amount of the show they have seen. for example, if someone dropped a 20episode long show 2 episodes in and gave it a 1/10, their score should count as "10%" of one normal vote. that way, the bias mal has towards slow burners can go away. it will also lessen the sequel bias by giving an advantage to first seasons.
I think anime that are difficult to get into deserve a penalty 
yes, that's why I said scale the drop rate, not remove it.

there should be a bigger difference between a "show that starts slow or is harder to get into" vs " a show that is just bad". 

As it is now, we live in a world where this: https://myanimelist.net/anime/52830/Isekai_de_Cheat_Skill_wo_Te_ni_Shita_Ore_wa_Genjitsu_Sekai_wo_mo_Musou_Suru__Level_Up_wa_Jinsei_wo_Kaeta

has about the same score as: https://myanimelist.net/anime/37522/Pet?q=pet&cat=anime

even though if you look at the reviews of the people who actually finished the shows, one is infinitely more positively received than the other.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jul 17, 2023 10:21 AM

Feb 2022
Honestly a feature I've wanted for a while is being able to choose which image appears for the series/characters in your profile, similarly to how you can change it in interest stacks.

Jul 17, 2023 12:58 PM

Dec 2019
Having competent site developers and mods that actually listen to community feedback and don't give us retarded updates that no one asked for that worsen the site.
Jul 17, 2023 4:18 PM

Feb 2022
probably a place to see how many replies each forum has. Just the formating in general could be much better. I get it though, this is an old school website.But still, why cant I just see how many comments/replies this forum (or is this an "interest stack"?) has. 
So far, So good... So what?
In my darkest hour, ho, you were not there. 
Loneliness is not only felt by fools!
Jul 17, 2023 6:35 PM
Jul 2018
I agree with many aforementioned suggestions, particularly that we need a proper block feature. If I block someone, I don't want them to be able to even see my posts or profile at all. It would be so nice if I could truly have certain users out of sight, out of mind, but it's hard to ignore them when the block feature is weak. Otherwise, I just want to leave MAL if they're still here and I can't truly get away from them.

Also, I think people need to stop acting like they're the arbiters of taste just because they watch "high-tier" or "elitist" anime. It's pretentious and annoying.

If people could understand simply that taste is subjective, discussions here would be a lot nicer. But it's just going to keep going in circles.

People should stop worrying too much about what others like and simply enjoy what they like.
removed-userJul 17, 2023 6:44 PM
Jul 17, 2023 6:44 PM
Mar 2022
0.5 rating system, I cannot decide whether an anime is 6 or 7, or 7 or 8, so a midpoint would be ideal
Jul 18, 2023 4:16 AM

Apr 2023
SimpleSutpdi said:
0.5 rating system, I cannot decide whether an anime is 6 or 7, or 7 or 8, so a midpoint would be ideal

That would be easily solved by using the other 5 numbers on the current scale.
Jul 18, 2023 4:33 AM

Aug 2012
I think giving votes to characters and studios would be a pretty neat option. AniDB already has that fature.
Jul 18, 2023 12:33 PM

Nov 2013
Ignore everyone complaining about "muh ratings." Its incredibly unimportant.

Whatll make the aite better is:

1) Actually taking suggestions
2) Fixing genre tags. Just look at this: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2106919
3) Improving advanced search.
4) Just make the database more accurate please.
Jul 18, 2023 12:54 PM

Mar 2022
What could make MyAnimeList a better site?

Well, obviously a new fucking site. This one is so obsolete compered to other competitors. 
But honestly, the only thing I want from this site is what it is created for to do in the first place.

GIVE ME NORMAL ANIME DATABASE! 
-No bs splits
-No wrong titles
-No wrong nor outdated pictures
-No fucking censorship

That is all I ask.
Jul 20, 2023 1:45 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Forums shouldn't be moderated.. Anything goes..

Jul 20, 2023 1:56 AM

Mar 2023
Unlimited favorites would be great.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why are the characters in your favorite character list your favorite? ( 1 2 )

Samu-tan - Feb 24, 2010

53 by FanofAction »»
55 seconds ago

» your most favorited favorite character vs. your least favorited favorite character ( 1 2 )

bucciest - Oct 26, 2022

99 by Daviljoe193 »»
1 minute ago

» Is it possible to recommend 2000s Anime to kids nowadays?

Dragevard - 48 minutes ago

6 by WatchTillTandava »»
14 minutes ago

» How did the (first 10) anime end up on your favorites list?

JaaShooUhh - 8 hours ago

24 by Swyzen »»
15 minutes ago

» What makes an ISEKAI enjoyable for ya?

JaaShooUhh - Yesterday

27 by rohan121 »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.