Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 7, 2023 9:03 AM

Apr 2012
I don't know if I should be delighted or awkwardly surprised that people say so little about the fact that this show has a neutrally depicted trans character and doesn't even try to make it political or a joke. A couple of years ago, this would have been a big topic of debate if you remember how people attacked one show just because one of the characters was a non-binary biological guy with a crush on one of the male protagonists. Are people just getting better, or is it too subtle for people to complain?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 7, 2023 9:13 AM

Apr 2012
Cestlavie_ said:
the latter, it's too subtle for people to complain
Do you think not everyone even understood that this is a man? Though on second thought, I wouldn't be surprised if the English translation removed the reference to her aunt's biological sex.
Apr 7, 2023 9:15 AM
Jul 2022
I think it’s never been a problem in the anime community precisely because when anime does it it is usually subtle and not down-your-throat as western media.

Take for example Sailor Moon. Yes, it was insanely censored in the west, but for the majority of weebs, who actually went out of their ways to consume the original product, no one ever said anything.

Imo that’s how representation should be and I think anime has mostly done it right. Take for example Lycoris Recoil which became insanely popular and it had actual gay characters and Yuri(bait) and a very VERY minority complain about it but no one gave them attention ๐Ÿ˜‚
Apr 7, 2023 9:20 AM

Aug 2020
tAb0 said:
I think it’s never been a problem in the anime community precisely because when anime does it it is usually subtle and not down-your-throat as western media.

Take for example Sailor Moon. Yes, it was insanely censored in the west, but for the majority of weebs, who actually went out of their ways to consume the original product, no one ever said anything.

Imo that’s how representation should be and I think anime has mostly done it right. Take for example Lycoris Recoil which became insanely popular and it had actual gay characters and Yuri(bait) and a very VERY minority complain about it but no one gave them attention ๐Ÿ˜‚

you're funny. anime fans are notorious for being bigoted, though I think if tends to just be more the younger more mainstream audience, I personally find that in the more slice of life fan base people are much more chill about it.
Call me Ren
Apr 7, 2023 9:23 AM

Jun 2016
I think there are a few factors. 

1. They aren't a main, poster character and may not get a good chunk of screen time overall. Though this could change later depending on the story if they have their own arc

2. Advertisement for the show isn't as big as others. From the pages I personally follow, and the fact Crunchyroll has it, there are just bigger shows this season. Again, this could change later, but they're bound to push the bigger shows more, especially Demon Slayer

3. I feel like the genre overall isn't very popular. It's a seinen drama. People, at least outside Japan, are kind of over school anime as well. I feel fans of the show and people who watch the show, are more open to representation in shows, along with it possibly being normal to them

When I first watched the show and saw the character, I didn't think anything of it and just thought it was cool. They may get a storyline later about it, but I doubt it because it is what it is
Apr 7, 2023 9:24 AM
Dec 2020
tAb0 said:

This. The down-your-throat shit is why I am not watching Western cartoons anymore. Subtleness is the way to go with trans-characters or any type of representation.

Blue Period, Gurenn Lagann (does queer count as trans? Idk), Komi Can't Communicate and Zombieland Saga are great examples of this.

Though, I hope Japan keeps it subtle and doesn't eventually go overboard like the West.
InfernalizationApr 7, 2023 9:28 AM
Apr 7, 2023 9:25 AM
Jul 2022
Render_1 said:
tAb0 said:

you're funny. anime fans are notorious for being bigoted, though I think if tends to just be more the younger more mainstream audience, I personally find that in the more slice of life fan base people are much more chill about it.

Fair enough, maybe because I’ve been watching anime for a long time.
I’m also not native english speaker so I don’t usually interact with the community outside of MAL and couple of sites so maybe that also contributes.
But I think you’re right, there are people who are more chill about it, and specifically for the series it can be the both a combination of it being a slice of life and the subtle representation
Apr 7, 2023 9:26 AM

Aug 2020
tAb0 said:
Render_1 said:

Fair enough, maybe because I’ve been watching anime for a long time.
I’m also not native english speaker so I don’t usually interact with the community outside of MAL and couple of sites so maybe that also contributes.
But I think you’re right, there are people who are more chill about it, and specifically for the series it can be the both a combination of it being a slice of life and the subtle representation

yeah I'm not trying to entirely deny your idea its because its subtle, I honestly didn't notice at first, and I knew going into it to expect representation, so it definitely could be a part of it.
Call me Ren
Apr 7, 2023 9:27 AM
Jul 2022
Infernalization said:
tAb0 said:

This. The down-your-throat shit is why I am not watching Western cartoons anymore. Subtleness is the way to go with trans-characters.

Blue Period, Gurenn Lagann (does queer count as trans? Idk), Komi Can't Communicate and Zombieland Saga are great examples of this.

Agreed. Like I personally don’t find anything harmful about well, everything.

But western media really is annoying
Apr 7, 2023 9:27 AM

Apr 2012
tAb0 said:

People really didn't care about gay people in LR. But I think the main controversy around yuri in the show was mostly about whether it's canon or not, not good or bad.

Render_1 said:
tAb0 said:

I belong to the second wave of western anime fans and thus the middle generation of fans. I don't know about their attitude in general, but personally I find these characters intriguing, but not annoying, much less worth complaining about. It all depends on how and why it is written. I mean, CCS or Sailor Moon are perfect at writing token gay characters and most of the complaints are more likely to be directed to not always normal audience reactions than to the content itself (like when people are obsessed with declaring Sakura bisexual just because they're disappointed that she didn't choose Tomyo).
RobertBobertApr 7, 2023 9:32 AM
Apr 7, 2023 9:31 AM
Jul 2022
RobertBobert said:
tAb0 said:

People really didn't care about gay people in LR. But I think the main controversy around yuri in the show was mostly about whether it's canon or not, not good or bad.

Render_1 said:

I belong to the second wave of western anime fans and thus the middle generation of fans. I don't know about their attitude in general, but personally I find these characters intriguing, but not annoying, much less worth complaining about. It all depends on how and why it is written. I mean, CCS or Sailor Moon are perfect at writing token gay characters and most of the complaints are more likely to be directed to not always normal audience reactions than to the content itself (like when people are obsessed with declaring Sakura bisexual just because they're disappointed that she didn't choose Tomyo).

Yes, totally. I think that anime as a whole has explored representation in an actual intriguing way by giving characters depth, and personality beyond their sexuality or identity.

Plus putting them in shonen/shoujo settings helps with the subtleness in the handling of this characters.
Apr 7, 2023 9:32 AM
Apr 2020
Honestly didn't notice it at all....
he/she was very tall which was weird but we have been having a lot of tall female characters lately so i didn't think too much about it until people pointed it out online
Apr 7, 2023 9:35 AM

Apr 2012
tAb0 said:
RobertBobert said:

Yes, totally. I think that anime as a whole has explored representation in an actual intriguing way by giving characters depth, and personality beyond their sexuality or identity.

Plus putting them in shonen/shoujo settings helps with the subtleness in the handling of this characters.
Personally, I like the whole idea that this character is not portrayed as a queer token or serves as a constant surprise joke. Her aunt is just queer and that's it, an ordinary character and person.
Apr 7, 2023 10:01 AM
Jul 2020
bruh i always wonder myself why trans and gay people live so rent free in your head is this another american thing?
Apr 7, 2023 10:09 AM

Feb 2021
This show is co-produced by Crunchyroll unfortunately 

I knew the wokies and sjws were gonna ruin it 
Apr 7, 2023 10:12 AM

Mar 2021
Who are u talking about?
Apr 7, 2023 11:34 AM
Jun 2022
In the manga Nao has an entire arc where we learn about her transition. Skip and loafer is on it’s first episode, give it some time.

Also, Yuka from Blue Period didn’t suffer crippling depression to be ignored like this ๐Ÿ˜”
Apr 7, 2023 12:03 PM
Dec 2020
kiyxzii said:
RobertBobert said:
Do you think not everyone even understood that this is a man? Though on second thought, I wouldn't be surprised if the English translation removed the reference to her aunt's biological sex.

i think its too subtle, i have literally no idea which character everyone is talking about :')

It's Nao-chan, Mitsumi's uncle (or aunt if you want to refer him by his gender identity).
Apr 7, 2023 12:24 PM
Jan 2023
MadanielFL said:

Huh... this is adapted from the manga. Nao being trans has nothing to do with crunchyroll so what are you on about... nothing to do w "sjws" but go off ๐Ÿ’€
Apr 7, 2023 12:27 PM
Jan 2023
yall would stay referring to nao by she/her if you weren't told she was trans so why not just continue to refer to her as such...? like you're going out you way not to... and ppl complaining abt her being trans r weird lol like it hasnt even been mentioned once in the anime yet for you to be gettinf your panties in such a bunch.
Apr 7, 2023 12:35 PM

Feb 2021
5050foxhound said:
MadanielFL said:

Huh... this is adapted from the manga. Nao being trans has nothing to do with crunchyroll so what are you on about... nothing to do w "sjws" but go off ๐Ÿ’€
Nah bro the sjws at Cringyroll ruin anything they touch.
You know it's all trash when Cr is headquartered in commiefornia.

This is why I pirate all my anime...
Apr 7, 2023 1:02 PM

Jul 2015
It is totally possible to even not notice, that there was a trans character in this episode.
And this is representation done right. Because trans people are like any other and are just living their lives among us.
That character and being trans wasn't their entire identity and personality, unlike in the most woke, western bullshit we usually see. It was subtle, not crucial and wasn't unnecessarily brought up.
Anyway, Blue Period set the bar in terms of LGBT character writing kinda high.

Apr 7, 2023 1:37 PM

Apr 2012
squeegee-c said:
In the manga Nao has an entire arc where we learn about her transition. Skip and loafer is on it’s first episode, give it some time.

Also, Yuka from Blue Period didn’t suffer crippling depression to be ignored like this ๐Ÿ˜”
Yuka is non-binary, bluntly saying that he identified as a woman in order to satisfy expectations of his sexuality, but eventually became non-binary, also not denying his biological sex. This is somewhat confusing. But anyway, Nao legally changed gender, doesn't just identify as a woman?

vitor03 said:
bruh i always wonder myself why trans and gay people live so rent free in your head is this another american thing?
If your America is in Eastern Europe, where I live, then maybe.
Apr 7, 2023 1:44 PM
Sep 2020
wait there is an lgbt character in this anime? which one ? I don't remember seeing one in the first ep
Apr 7, 2023 1:54 PM

Apr 2012
Ilhan391 said:
wait there is an lgbt character in this anime? which one ? I don't remember seeing one in the first ep
The main character's aunt is a transgender woman.
Apr 7, 2023 2:07 PM
Jun 2022
I think it’s because trans-characters aren’t that rare a sighting in anime - as a lead role they are, but as for side characters there’s plenty of shows out there with LGBTQI+ characters and has been the case for a long time
Apr 7, 2023 3:36 PM
Nov 2018
meh, this anime was good but this uncle made me drop it, so annoying
Apr 7, 2023 5:16 PM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
Thread locked for breaking the Anime Discussion Guidelines:
5.ใ€€Please refrain from creating threads which extend beyond the discussion of anime/manga as an entertainment medium to highly-debated and/or sensitive issues liable to incite rule violations (trolling, flaming, abuse).
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Skip to Loafer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2023

236 by anii_squid »»
Sep 4, 10:42 AM

Poll: » Skip to Loafer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 9, 2023

135 by EsieEyen »»
Jul 21, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Skip to Loafer Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 23, 2023

140 by addictedtoliving »»
Jul 20, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Skip to Loafer Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2023

174 by addictedtoliving »»
Jul 19, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Skip to Loafer Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2023

210 by addictedtoliving »»
Jul 19, 8:14 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.