Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 4, 2023 5:15 AM
May 2015
because most weebs can of course relate to mc.
show isn't for me, too boring
Jan 4, 2023 5:27 AM

Apr 2012
RBTHE1ST said:
RobertBobert said:
Because it's a classic case where the show, for its own reasons, hyped up among a very young audience and they're took it to the point of logical absurdity. Most of this anime's only-anime fanbase is made up of teenagers, for whom this is one of the very first anime. As a result, they greatly overestimate this show, considering it revolutionary, unusual, etc. Considering something an incredible masterpiece just because you have little experience is quite common these days.
that is way too much of a generalization. I have seen at least 10-15 people with 500-1000 completed anime put bocchi in their favs on both this site and anilist.and i am not even active on other sites 
It does not interfere. The Bocchi discussion threads are still full of people with a registration date no later than 2020.
Jan 4, 2023 7:52 AM

Apr 2012
HoklS said:
CGDCT  is a theme not a genre though.
This is a Western word for the Japanese genre, which the Japanese themselves call Girls Zoo.
Jan 4, 2023 8:05 AM

Jun 2015
@RobertBobert

Taste and experience are two different things that are not necessarily related to each other. You just have a mess in your head, because of which you yourself do not know what to say, but really want to.

This is what he wanted to say:

Kaguya-sama is a classic case where the show, for its own reasons, is hyped up among a very young audience and they're took it to the point of logical absurdity. Most of this anime's only-anime fanbase is made up of teenagers, for whom this is one of the very first anime. As a result, they greatly overestimate this show, considering it revolutionary, unusual, etc. Considering something an incredible masterpiece just because you have little experience is quite common these days.

Re:Zero is a classic case where the show, for its own reasons, is hyped up among a very young audience and they're took it to the point of logical absurdity. Most of this anime's only-anime fanbase is made up of teenagers, for whom this is one of the very first anime. As a result, they greatly overestimate this show, considering it revolutionary, unusual, etc. Considering something an incredible masterpiece just because you have little experience is quite common these days.

Boku no Hero Academia is a classic case where the show, for its own reasons, is hyped up among a very young audience and they're took it to the point of logical absurdity. Most of this anime's only-anime fanbase is made up of teenagers, for whom this is one of the very first anime. As a result, they greatly overestimate this show, considering it revolutionary, unusual, etc. Considering something an incredible masterpiece just because you have little experience is quite common these days.
Jan 4, 2023 8:08 AM

Apr 2012
Unowen said:
@RobertBobert

Taste and experience are two different things that are not necessarily related to each other. You just have a mess in your head, because of which you yourself do not know what to say, but really want to.

Kaguya-sama is a classic case where the show, for its own reasons, is hyped up among a very young audience and they're took it to the point of logical absurdity. Most of this anime's only-anime fanbase is made up of teenagers, for whom this is one of the very first anime. As a result, they greatly overestimate this show, considering it revolutionary, unusual, etc. Considering something an incredible masterpiece just because you have little experience is quite common these days.

Re:Zero is a classic case where the show, for its own reasons, is hyped up among a very young audience and they're took it to the point of logical absurdity. Most of this anime's only-anime fanbase is made up of teenagers, for whom this is one of the very first anime. As a result, they greatly overestimate this show, considering it revolutionary, unusual, etc. Considering something an incredible masterpiece just because you have little experience is quite common these days.

Boku no Hero Academia is a classic case where the show, for its own reasons, is hyped up among a very young audience and they're took it to the point of logical absurdity. Most of this anime's only-anime fanbase is made up of teenagers, for whom this is one of the very first anime. As a result, they greatly overestimate this show, considering it revolutionary, unusual, etc. Considering something an incredible masterpiece just because you have little experience is quite common these days.
I can also copy the text randomly, ignoring any nuances and context of the original remark. But this will not be a cool argument, rather a very lazy trolling instead of answering my argument in essence, sorry.  And yes, a lot of people will tell you that MHA is a big trend just because most of the younger fans are unaware of the earlier shonens.
Jan 4, 2023 8:12 AM

Jun 2015
RobertBobert said:
Unowen said:
@RobertBobert

I can also copy the text randomly, ignoring any nuances and context of the original remark. But this will not be a cool argument, rather a very lazy trolling instead of answering my argument in essence, sorry.  And yes, a lot of people will tell you that MHA is a big trend just because most of the younger fans are unaware of the earlier shonens.
Would buy the nuance part if that was an excerpt of a longer message but your #74 comment is literally just that, which can be literally said about any recent and popular show, not only Bocchi.
Jan 4, 2023 8:14 AM

Apr 2012
Unowen said:
RobertBobert said:
Would buy the nuance part if that was an excerpt of a longer message but your #74 comment is literally just that, which can be literally said about any recent and popular show, not only Bocchi.
If it is just as rude to pull it out of context, ignoring any nuances and my further explanations why I think so, then it is possible. Once again, sarcasm and bait are not arguments, they only show that you are salty and passive-aggressive because of the skeptical opinion about the anime you like.
Jan 4, 2023 8:50 AM

Oct 2021
RobertBobert said:
It does not interfere. The Bocchi discussion threads are still full of people with a registration date no later than 2020.
general mainstream audience of anime are teenagers and young people so any show that gains mainstream popularity would have a large amount of young audience. this excuse can be given about any popular show.  and the people who replied to your comment and their anime numbers literally prove that your point is too generalized. i personally don't think bocchi is revolutionary .it just does its job perfectly. people can like different stuff. your statement is like saying only men like gundam because they are the vocal ones although according to surveys and reports it has always had a huge female fanbase.
Jan 4, 2023 9:25 AM

May 2015
Kinda weird to care about the age of people watching a show that you haven't even seen yet, but ok. Like why do you give a fuck? It literally doesn't matter. Saying only teenagers enjoy it isn't even accurate to begin with.

Jan 4, 2023 11:34 AM

Nov 2018
It doesn't force cuteness(like k-on).
It doesn't try to seem deeper than it is(like Aria), yet it is painfully relatable and somewhat serious in unserious tone.
Also production is great and characters are not annoying archetypes with no development.
I've watch tons of stuff like this, yet it's the first time I want to rewatch it instantly in years. Bocchi just really makes me feel stuff.
I hate everyone equally
Jan 4, 2023 1:25 PM

Jun 2009
RobertBobert said:
RBTHE1ST said:
that is way too much of a generalization. I have seen at least 10-15 people with 500-1000 completed anime put bocchi in their favs on both this site and anilist.and i am not even active on other sites 
And so? i gave 10/10 to Bocchi, and look at my registration date and completed anime (by the way actual number is past 4k, at some point i just got lazy, so i just add random series that i enjoyed watching nowadays instead of adding everything). if i am to lazy to write comments does not mean that i do not exist.

Bocchi is a really good, (as someone who picked up guitar thanx to "Beck" and who was deathly bored and annoyed by "Musical Tea" K-on) and really a breath of fresh ait in both animation quality and portrayal of Band life. It have lot of Heart, and easy to connect to. It brings a lot of enjoyment to me as a viewer that's why 10/10
TalmerJan 4, 2023 1:31 PM
Jan 4, 2023 1:48 PM

Apr 2012
Talmer said:
RobertBobert said:
And so? i gave 10/10 to Bocchi, and look at my registration date and completed anime (by the way actual number is past 4k, at some point i just got lazy, so i just add random series that i enjoyed watching nowadays instead of adding everything). if i am to lazy to write comments does not mean that i do not exist.

Bocchi is a really good, (as someone who picked up guitar thanx to "Beck" and who was deathly bored and annoyed by "Musical Tea" K-on) and really a breath of fresh ait in both animation quality and portrayal of Band life. It have lot of Heart, and easy to connect to. It brings a lot of enjoyment to me as a viewer that's why 10/10
I'm glad you like it. But do you really think that 1-2 people who have signed up for a long time somehow disprove the fact that in general the show is mainly popular among teenagers and young anime fans? I really get the impression that people here write the first thing that comes to their mind just to respond at least something to an opinion that is unpleasant for them. 
Jan 4, 2023 1:50 PM
Aug 2020
Lincompoop said:
Z3R0-THR33 said:
I haven't even watched the show yet but the fact that k-on fans are mad about it means it must be pretty good
I don't think most k-on fans are mad. They simply think that Bocchi is not as good as k-on. I for one liked Bocchi but still prefer k-on by a long shot.

It's absolutely valid to think k-on is better than this. It's just that, when people start saying stuff like 'if you like Bocchi you're immature and new to anime', you come off as an overly sensitive k-on fan who is jealous of this show's success. I can only laugh at people like that
Jan 4, 2023 2:15 PM
Dec 2017
Talmer said:

I'm glad you like it. But do you really think that 1-2 people who have signed up for a long time somehow disprove the fact that in general the show is mainly popular among teenagers and young anime fans? I really get the impression that people here write the first thing that comes to their mind just to respond at least something to an opinion that is unpleasant for them. 
headcanons and strawman aren't facts.
Imagine whining about "teen anime", when all your favorites are the epitome of mainstream anime for teens. Are you sure you're not just begging for attention at this point?
Jan 4, 2023 2:27 PM

Aug 2018
NiteRaving said:
It doesn't try to seem deeper than it is(like Aria), yet it is painfully relatable and somewhat serious in unserious tone.
Also production is great and characters are not annoying archetypes with no development.
I've watch tons of stuff like this, yet it's the first time I want to rewatch it instantly in years. Bocchi just really makes me feel stuff.

I always thought the cute factor of K-On was massively overstated. The keions are just kinda normal, everyday girls who are cute sometimes. Then you have shows like is the order a rabbit where they're all like rainbow-colored giant toddlers.

I definitely never got any try hard vibes from Aria. In fact, it's the polar opposite. Aria is the definition of easy going. You just don't get it.

Watamote is is the definition of painfully relatable. Oregairu is too, sometimes. The mains chars of those shows are despised by the anime community at large because it hits too close to home. Bocchi is child's play in comparison.

Also about Bocchi not having any annoying stereotypes. What about the drunk lady? Is she not annoying? Is she not the same ridiculous parody of what it's like to be drunk that pretty much every anime with a drunk person has?
Jan 4, 2023 5:09 PM

Jan 2021
NiteRaving said:
>forced cuteness.
Idk that Kita-aura stuff really seemed forced. Only time I remember when cuteness was kinda forced in k-on was during maid episode maybe.
>yet it is painfully relatable
Probably to some social anxious introvert who hasn't touched grass in years. I didn't relate to any characters whatsoever. (also why do people think something being relatable makes it better)
>characters are not annoying archetypes
Bocchi is literally pillar of a character with annoying archetype. Everyone would've hated her if it wasn't for that direction and animation.
Lunan1caJan 4, 2023 5:13 PM
Jan 4, 2023 6:36 PM

Aug 2020
It is based. What can we say...

Jan 4, 2023 8:12 PM

Jan 2015
Yeah, just finished, only really found Ryo to be a standout. I don't think the show does much special in its story at all honestly.
Jan 4, 2023 8:26 PM
Dec 2017
Lunan1ca said:
NiteRaving said:
>forced cuteness.
Idk that Kita-aura stuff really seemed forced. Only time I remember when cuteness was kinda forced in k-on was during maid episode maybe.
Probably to some social anxious introvert who hasn't touched grass in years. I didn't relate to any characters whatsoever. (also why do people think something being relatable makes it better)
Bocchi is literally pillar of a character with annoying archetype. Everyone would've hated her if it wasn't for that direction and animation.

-Kita's fuwa fuwa scene is the only one I can think of, and it still had a fun comedic payoff. K-On! focuses on a cute feel-good vibe and the random comedy is mostly a tool for it, especially in Season 2 where the comedy was weaker in favor of some random sappy drama. Live performances have a different vibe as well, K-On! is all about the girls being overly cute, Bocchi takes lives more seriously and focuses on the girls being natural and cool instead.
-Even if you don't like her she still is a more detailed character than any keyon.
VludiJan 5, 2023 1:09 AM
Jan 5, 2023 2:41 AM
Oct 2014
Lunan1ca said:
NiteRaving said:
>forced cuteness.
Kita aura isn't forced cuteness, more like big extrovert energy (or maybe i got it wrong?)
Jan 5, 2023 2:53 AM

Jul 2007
This show is great because it is a CGDCT that is actually funny. And the sweet cherry on top is that it puts K-On fans in their place. K-On was never good, and now that we get an amazing CGDCT like Bocchi, people are finally starting to wake up.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 5, 2023 3:28 AM

Mar 2021
Yuru camp way better unfortunately
Jan 5, 2023 4:50 AM
Jun 2020
Rimusimp said:
Yeah I agree the comedy was stale and generic with not much effort aside from animation put into it. The music had a few highlights but mostly generic. The characters were hella generic and unoriginal. Animation was the hardest carry and the only reason this show is liked by anyone. 6/10 adaptation

Also to anyone who’s saying Bocchi used cgi for comedic effect and it’s revolutionary, go watch romantic killer, it aired the same season and did it first and better.
"did it first and better," when the first episode aired almost an entire 3 weeks after the first episode of Bocchi? wot...
Jan 5, 2023 8:04 AM

Jan 2018
They're not, it's just bait. It seems like the only actual non bait takes they have is that it's genuinely funny, which isn't the case anyway.
Jan 5, 2023 8:46 AM

Sep 2014
TsukuyomiREKT said:
Lunan1ca said:

I am talking about "painfully relatable" shit not about liking the show dumbass.
You’re also wrong on that, since there’s nothing wrong with people finding the show relatable.
It's kind of wrong given how exaggerated social anxiety was portrayed in the anime. It makes it looks like it's fine to breakdown in public space because people will find it cute and amusing. Introvert are supposed to avoid getting the spotlight, yet Bocchi always managed to gather attention from everyone around here. Which is supposed to be a nightmare for introvert, but the show makes it seems like that's what she wants. That's not a show introvert are supposed to want to relate to.
Jan 5, 2023 9:02 AM

May 2015
KryzakamiHrybami said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:
You’re also wrong on that, since there’s nothing wrong with people finding the show relatable.
It's kind of wrong given how exaggerated social anxiety was portrayed in the anime. It makes it looks like it's fine to breakdown in public space because people will find it cute and amusing. Introvert are supposed to avoid getting the spotlight, yet Bocchi always managed to gather attention from everyone around here. Which is supposed to be a nightmare for introvert, but the show makes it seems like that's what she wants. That's not a show introvert are supposed to want to relate to.
It’s a comedy. You’re not supposed to take it that seriously and I’m sure even people with social issues know that having breakdowns in public is something they should try to avoid, probably from personal experience. The show is relatable in the sense that some people have the same social hangups and mindset about the world as Bocchi does. It’s not supposed to be sone introvert guide book on how to act in real life lol.

Jan 5, 2023 9:14 AM
Apr 2022
TsukuyomiREKT said:

Rimusimp said:

Except guess what romantic killer still did it first. And it did it better. The cgi used in romantic killer is much funnier and much more creative
What you’re saying makes no sense whatsoever. Anime doesn’t start being made when it airs. Both shows would have been worked on well before they started airing. Which came first means jack shit. Bocchi didn’t copy RK just because RK happened to air a little before Bocchi lol. Also, CGI isn’t a focus for either show so I don’t know why you care this about it. 

Never said it copied I’m just saying that romantic killer was a better and more creative use of cgi. And I’m also saying it deserves more recognition which is why I’m spreading its greatness here
Jan 5, 2023 9:20 AM

Sep 2014
TsukuyomiREKT said:
KryzakamiHrybami said:
It’s a comedy. You’re not supposed to take it that seriously and I’m sure even people with social issues know that having breakdowns in public is something they should try to avoid, probably from personal experience. The show is relatable in the sense that some people have the same social hangups and mindset about the world as Bocchi does. It’s not supposed to be sone introvert guide book on how to act in real life lol.

Aren't the people who say it's relatable the ones who are more likely to take the show seriously? There must be something that they take seriously if they feel it' relatable to them. And given how exaggerated the social anxiety was portrayed in the anime, it's safe to assume there's something wrong with them.
Jan 5, 2023 9:21 AM

Dec 2018
i mean some of the comedy is decent or even great from time to time but 9 episodes in i feel like it's a far cry from K-On! or Zombieland Saga. It's really quite boring mostly right now. K-On! actually moved my feelings and Zombieland Saga was more entertaining. Hell, even Do It Yourself was more exciting than this so far. Two full length movies worth of content (at 9 episodes) and only 2 songs played. I was interested at first but the wind is quickly being sucked away from my sails.
Jan 5, 2023 9:31 AM

May 2015
KryzakamiHrybami said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

Aren't the people who say it's relatable the ones who are more likely to take the show seriously? There must be something that they take seriously if they feel it' relatable to them. And given how exaggerated the social anxiety was portrayed in the anime, it's safe to assume there's something wrong with them.
There’s nothing wrong with people relating to the show or Bocchi herself. There just isn’t.

Jan 5, 2023 9:33 AM

Sep 2014
TsukuyomiREKT said:
KryzakamiHrybami said:

There’s nothing wrong with people relating to the show or Bocchi herself. There just isn’t.

That's just your opinion and you're not someone whose opinion would be reliable to me.
Jan 5, 2023 9:34 AM

May 2015
KryzakamiHrybami said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

That's just your opinion and you're not someone whose opinion would be reliable to me.
Not really, but ok.

Jan 5, 2023 10:22 AM

Sep 2018
As someone who thought it was just slightly above average at first, but now I'm rewatching it and loving it: the execution makes all the difference in the world; the writing isn't groundbreaking but good enough to be a solid foundation (for example, I prefer CGDCT focusing on activities like camping, fishing or building a music band from scratch over lazy girls loafing around all day). Style vs substance, how important are they? My answer is: personal enjoyment tips the scale towards one or the other, depending on the case. 

I still don't think it excels at comedy or music (otherwise it would have been one of my all time favorites), but it excels at being a CGDCT and that's enough to be among my top 10 anime of 2022. 
Jan 5, 2023 2:05 PM
Dec 2017
KryzakamiHrybami said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

Nah you're in the wrong if you think comedy and character development should be mutually exclusive, dark comedy and tragicomedy can be a great basis for good characters. Bocchi's breakdowns are amped for expressiveness and laughs, but the reasoning behind these are on-point and develop on social anxiety quite well. 
Jan 5, 2023 2:53 PM

Sep 2014
Vludi said:
KryzakamiHrybami said:

Nah you're in the wrong if you think comedy and character development should be mutually exclusive, dark comedy and tragicomedy can be a great basis for good characters. Bocchi's breakdowns are amped for expressiveness and laughs, but the reasoning behind these are on-point and develop on social anxiety quite well.

I think you quoted the wrong person. I have no idea what you're talking about.
Jan 5, 2023 4:09 PM

Jan 2021
TsukuyomiREKT said:
Lunan1ca said:

I am talking about "painfully relatable" shit not about liking the show dumbass.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with finding a show good because an extremely socially anxious introvert who can't complete a sentence without stuttering and half of the time is in their own delusion being extremely relatable.
Jan 5, 2023 4:47 PM
Sep 2021
All the people that say that probably only rarely watch CGDCT. Still better than Chainsaw Man btw.
Jan 5, 2023 5:09 PM

May 2015
Lunan1ca said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

I suppose there's nothing wrong with finding a show good because an extremely socially anxious introvert who can't complete a sentence without stuttering and half of the time is in their own delusion being extremely relatable.
Yeah, there isn’t anything wrong with it. They play up her social awkwardness for the comedy.

Jan 5, 2023 5:30 PM
Dec 2017
KryzakamiHrybami said:
Vludi said:

Read again then. You complained that Bocchi is too "exaggerated" to be relatable, yet these elements never really hurt her as a character nor her being relatable. They may even be a good thing because the amped expressivity makes her easier to understand, without neglecting her core character traits. You guys taking everything so seriously and literally is the only thing that's wrong here.
VludiJan 5, 2023 5:36 PM
Jan 5, 2023 6:27 PM

Sep 2014
Vludi said:
KryzakamiHrybami said:

Read again then. You complained that Bocchi is too "exaggerated" to be relatable, yet these elements never really hurt her as a character nor her being relatable. They may even be a good thing because the amped expressivity makes her easier to understand, without neglecting her core character traits. You guys taking everything so seriously and literally is the only thing that's wrong here.

Dude what are you on? The portrayal of social anxiety is too exaggerated to relate to, not Bocchi's expressivity. People are saying they relate to this as an introvert, not for the expression Bocchi makes. This show is not only about Bocchi gazing to the void while people have fun around here. The part around social anxiety is what makes it wrong to relate to since it's portraying an introvert nightmare as something beneficial for Bocchi.
Jan 5, 2023 7:45 PM
Dec 2017
Wanting to improve yourself and gain some validation isn't a rare thing for people with social anxiety at all, big part of social anxiety comes from being too self-aware about your introverted short-comings, and just like Bocchi you need to step outside of your comfort zone little by little to improve yourself.
Maybe the kind of introvert you refer to are the ones that have enough social skills and are confident with themselves like Ryo, that kind of character allows for less conflict/drama overall, which is why she isn't the MC.
Jan 5, 2023 9:27 PM
Jan 2015
At first, I'm actually not interested at all in watching this certain anime, but after I listened to the songs (which YouTube randomly recommended to me on autoplay), I thought "Hey, this anime got some good music, feels kind of indie-rock, been a while since the last time I found an anime with this kind of music" (which, in my opinion kind of differs from K-On!! which is more Pop-py than Indie-Rock). It is kinda rare to see an anime production that invest a great deal of effort in the music unlike most of the current anime which just slaps "Popular VA" singing the OP/ED to get more attention from the VA's fans.
Only after that I tried watching the first Episode. And guess what, I didn't expect the anime to be this good. The jokes are funny, the scenes are interesting and the story of the anime is great as well. And not to mention, each of the main characters traits are just so appealing.

I feel refreshed after watching each of the episodes.
Sure, it might not be the best of all times, but for me Bocchi The Rock! is the best anime of the season.
Loved it
Jan 9, 2023 9:11 AM

Dec 2016
epidemia78 said:
good luck finding a CGDCT anime that is not also SOL and comedy. It's not as if finding these three elements working in concert is so rare. And the music sure as hell isn't something I will ever be adding to a playlist.

Right right. Oh wait, who are you? And why anyone in here including me should give 2 shits on what YOU would put in a playlist? If you were someone with a rep in the music industry you'd have some sort of credibility, but you're no better than the common instagram/twitter hipster that would diss on others for not listening to their poser music. This isn't some sort of proper rebutal, it's the most basic and nothing burger kind of child pettyness for the minimal attention on the internet.

epidemia78 said:

I'm glad you mentioned dishes. Because Bocchi is like a vanilla cake with elaborate designs on it. The designs sure are nice to look at but cakes are made to be eaten and at the end of the day, it's just a damn vanilla cake.

Vanilla is the most sold flavor in pretty much any kind of desserts. Why is that? simply because it's the most acceptable flavor people like to degust. Your whole rant is based on nothing more than expecting a flavor that's not vanilla. vanilla can also be quite amazing and outstanding with right dressing, it doesn't have to be some hipster mix of exotic flavors just a small group of people need to think as the king of flavor.

epidemia78 said:
Well for one thing the personalities of K-On's cast are much better developed. Bocchi seems to me a very shallow character and her band-mates are even worse off since Bocchi gets the majority of the screentime. K-On manages to flesh out the entire band plus their club advisor in the same number of episodes. That's 5 main characters plus a very important supporting cast member compared to Bocchi's 4 main cast.

If were taking just the first season of K-ON!! as a benchmark, the characters aren't really that fleshed out. They are very much just walking archtypes, Yui being a moeblob dojiko, Ritsu being the group prankster, Mio the moe-wh*re, Tsumugi the out of touch rich girl and Asuza the nagging girl. Heck you're claiming that even Sawa was fleshed out when she's the walking stereotype of a xmas cake used for the bottom of the barrel weebs to oogle on her. It takes 2 whole season to actually get more out of their basic traits and ambitions and even then characters like Tsumugi just fill in as supporting characters not actual lead ones that make the story move forward.

Back to Bocchi the Rock! the show is called Bocchi the Rock! (just making the obvious statement that someone like you couldn't figure out) Obviously Bocchi is going to have way more pressence than the rest of the cast because it's her story and her comedical struggles in life. Even then characters like Nijika have a really strong role in the series pulling out Bocchi out of her comfort zone. Kita goes the whole 11 yards for Bocchi too and just like Nijika they have their personal purpouses in the story. Ryo is probably the weakest one acting as a the "tsukomi" character, but that's just fine because the other ones fill in surplus on their roles.

epidemia78 said:

Drama? In Bocchi? Nah... that's my main complaint with the show is lack of drama. I expected more sadness from a show about a socially anxious teen. Bocchi is 90% comedy. Episode 13 of K-On has more drama than the entirety of Bocchi. Not to mention episode 11 when Ritsu, jealous of Mio finding a new friend, starts behaving obnoxiously trying to be the center of attention. Ritsu is a AAA character. Nobody in Bocchi the Rock has that level of nuance.

Nuance is the new "hipster" word for people that want to make their personal stuff look like they are something avobe the rest but it's quite the opposite and it's just blent in not to be noticed and not to be something that pops out. I'm quite confused since your past rants are about Bocchi the rock being vanilla, but you're basically praising Ritsu's very basic human actions exactly for being vanilla.

The drama in Bocchi the Rock doesn't need to be some crybait show, I even think you have a very wrong misconception about drama as a whole if you think that tears are supposed to be incorporated in it. Bocchi's drama is incorporated in their performances, the vexing sensation when the group is underperforming in their first live due to a small audience that barely made it thru the typhoon is a really well crafted setup for her to come out of her comfort zone and shred her guitar to inspire the rest of her band and get them out of their funk. Same for her perfomance in the cultural festival concert when on of her strings poped out. Great drama is defined by how the characters come out of a dire situation of their regular lives, not by cheap tears or pouty jealousy acts.

epidemia78 said:

Watamote is is the definition of painfully relatable. Oregairu is too, sometimes. The mains chars of those shows are despised by the anime community at large because it hits too close to home. Bocchi is child's play in comparison.

This isn't some sort of "pissing contest". The second hand embarrasment parts of coming of age stories doesn't have to be portrayed on screen with a checklist, everyone can have their own you know "flavor". Heck, most of Hachman's screwups are about telling the audience not to be like Hachiman rather than make it relatable. Kinda similar with Tomoko in Watamote too. Bocchi mixes quite well the "cringe" with really out of the box comedy and great use of different art media without the necessity to "preach" to the audience like Oregairu does.
KimurahJan 9, 2023 9:26 AM
Jan 9, 2023 12:25 PM

Aug 2018
@Kimurah I wish you had quoted me properly to make it easier to remind myself what my out of context comments were in response to exactly.

Anyway I admit I was intentionally being just a bit abrasive in an effort to bait replies. It started getting annoying, seeing all the "bocchi is a masterpiece" commentary after the show failed to life up to the hype. But you are pretty late to the party and I'm kinda over it now. Since you put so much effort into your post the least I could do is reply, I guess.

Kimurah said:
Right right. Oh wait, who are you? And why anyone in here including me should give 2 shits on what YOU would put in a playlist? If you were someone with a rep in the music industry you'd have some sort of credibility

lol, I didn't know I had to be a corporate music exec to be allowed to have an opinion on music... Bocchi's music isn't terrible or anything. It's just... uninteresting. It's not a selling point. it neither detracts nor does it add to my enjoyment of the show. If bocchi music started playing right now I probably wouldn't even recognize it. I refuse to pretend like I care about it and no I won't waste a single kilobyte of hard drive space adding it to my anime music folder. Sorry!

Kimurah said:
If were taking just the first season of K-ON!! as a benchmark, the characters aren't really that fleshed out.

I'm not too sure about this. After rewatching it so many times, when it comes to the overall impression I have of the characters, it's basically impossible at this point for me to isolate K-On season 1 from 2.  Although I do remember, back when I first watched K-On, being impressed at how much they were able to do in only 12 episodes. I actually hold the genre in high regard because of that. The keions (and the casts of many other less popular 12 episode SOL) feel like old friends. Bocchi feels like barely an acquaintance. Bocchi failed to live up to that standard and I can't pretend that it does.

Kimurah said:
Nuance is the new "hipster" word for people that want to make their personal stuff look like they are something avobe the rest but it's quite the opposite and it's just blent in not to be noticed and not to be something that pops out. I'm quite confused since your past rants are about Bocchi the rock being vanilla, but you're basically praising Ritsu's very basic human actions exactly for being vanilla.

Nuance is a hipster word, huh? Well I do wear a weird hat and have a big ass curly mustache but that's beside the point. I just can't think of any other way to describe it. It's always bugged me that Ritsu always loses best girl votes when she is actually the most human one of the bunch. She doesn't get the respect she deserves because her personality traits aren't super exaggerated. Much like how people always say Nagisa from Clannad has no personality. Anime fans apparently suck at noticing subtlety.

Kimurah said:
drama doesn't need to be crybait

I never said it does. When I said the show lacks sadness I don't mean tragic plot twists. It would have went a long way towards making Bocchi an endearing character if she ever seemed sad about her situation in life. But since everyone around her is always so nice and supportive so it's not like she has any reason to be sad.

Kimurah said:
This isn't some sort of "pissing contest". The second hand embarrasment parts of coming of age stories doesn't have to be portrayed on screen with a checklist, everyone can have their own you know "flavor".

Yep. everyone has their own flavor. Bocchi, the most relatable character to ever exist? Bocchi, that incredibly talented, super cute high school kid who has a ton of friends and a popular youtube channel...? Yeah...I can't relate. Tomoko and Hachiman on the other hand? ...It hurts to even think about.
epidemia78Jan 9, 2023 12:53 PM
Jan 10, 2023 2:55 AM

Jul 2020
TsukuyomiREKT said:
KryzakamiHrybami said:

I'm not sure how someone who has social anxiety is something to be used for comedic purposes. Every time the topic of something related to youth/high school/friendship Bocchi starts to have a meltdown and starts drifting to her own world which is used for comedy. I'm sure as hell not amused by it, and many others as well, her reactions are way to exaggerated, and you mean to tell me that you can't even talk to your own parents? This just goes on to another level of stupid and absurd. Her own parents also don't help much at all, trying to communicate with their own child, her friends make fun of her when she can't handle a specific situation, how is this supposed to be funny? I had a friend like Bocchi, but we never laughed at him for being an introvert and having a hard time talking to people. If you like it good for you, but I and many other people just didn't like it, way to exaggerated and unfunny.
Someone said it perfectly, the anime ended, in a couple of seasons it won't be even remembered and it will fade into obscurity like 95% of anime. 
zera_scarletJan 10, 2023 3:00 AM
Jan 10, 2023 9:13 AM

May 2015
zera_scarlet said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

I'm not sure how someone who has social anxiety is something to be used for comedic purposes. Every time the topic of something related to youth/high school/friendship Bocchi starts to have a meltdown and starts drifting to her own world which is used for comedy. I'm sure as hell not amused by it, and many others as well, her reactions are way to exaggerated, and you mean to tell me that you can't even talk to your own parents? This just goes on to another level of stupid and absurd. Her own parents also don't help much at all, trying to communicate with their own child, her friends make fun of her when she can't handle a specific situation, how is this supposed to be funny? I had a friend like Bocchi, but we never laughed at him for being an introvert and having a hard time talking to people. If you like it good for you, but I and many other people just didn't like it, way to exaggerated and unfunny.
Someone said it perfectly, the anime ended, in a couple of seasons it won't be even remembered and it will fade into obscurity like 95% of anime. 
Ya'll take this shit way too seriously lmao. 

Jan 12, 2023 6:20 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Thread cleaned and locked due to various rule violations such as, spam, offt-topic and uncivil posts.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bocchi the Rock! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Dec 24, 2022

751 by CowPoKEJAcK »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Bocchi the Rock! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Nov 26, 2022

515 by CowPoKEJAcK »»
8 hours ago

» Kessoku Band released new music!

imjayhime - Jun 9

15 by Menternor »»
9 hours ago

» Kessoku Band on The First Take!!!

Dbagas8 - Jun 7

15 by Hitagi__Furude »»
Jun 9, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Bocchi the Rock! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Oct 22, 2022

283 by japN1k »»
Jun 8, 8:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.