Forum Settings
Forums

"YOU DON'T NEED TO READ WHOLE SOURCE METERIAL TO KNOW IF THE STORY IS GOOD OR BAD".....how much correct the statement is ??

New
Aug 25, 2022 4:01 AM

Jun 2021
So for giving the context.....me and my friend were arguing over an perticular anime... basically he was ranting over how that anime is full of plot Holes and how the storyline is garbage...but funny thing is he was only on episode 5....I had read ahead on manga...so my first initial reaction was like "bro the points u have said literally gonna get explained in next few episodes...and story line is actually pretty good.....u would know if u had read the manga..."
And his first reply quote to quote was...

"YOU DON'T NEED TO READ THE WHOLE SOURCE METERIAL TO KNOW IF THE STORY IS GOOD OR BAD"

I just wanna know
what do u guys think how much correct his statement is ???

And even if it's correct is it valid to say "storyline " is bad even though anime didn't complete it's 10% ??
Aug 25, 2022 4:09 AM

Oct 2018
I don't need more than 1 page or 1 episode to see how good it'll be.

What's the anime you guys were talking about? Also, manga =/= anime, if the anime failed, it's the anime's fault.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Aug 25, 2022 4:12 AM

Aug 2020
Even first few minutes or pages is enough at most cases but still there are some anime/manga which get better by the time so it's not a good thing to decide so quickly
Aug 25, 2022 4:16 AM

Feb 2020
Well you can call the anime bad and the manga good if the anime made a bad adaption with the source being good. If it's a good adaptation with good source and the person finds the anime bad then there is no point in reading the source material. If his/her complaints are about plot points that have yet to be explained then that's on the viewer and how much time they want to invest into it.
Aug 25, 2022 4:22 AM

Oct 2010
100% correct, anime is its own, manga doesn't matter.
Explaining plot points that weren't revealed at all in the anime by manga logic is useless (cause they aren't in the anime)
hope I made myself understood
CatalanoAug 25, 2022 4:28 AM
Aug 25, 2022 4:29 AM
Dec 2020
Ajoymurmu123 said:

"YOU DON'T NEED TO READ THE WHOLE SOURCE METERIAL TO KNOW IF THE STORY IS GOOD OR BAD"

I just wanna know

And even if it's correct is it valid to say "storyline " is bad even though anime didn't complete it's 10% ??

This is just a lack of patience from your friend
Aug 25, 2022 4:31 AM

Feb 2021
i think he makes a fair point. referring to source materials only become necessary when artistic licenses create a distinctive change in the story between the anime and manga. that's assuming they do this to make certain events seem more accessible, or change the narrative to streamline the amount of chapters needed to be covered.

that being said, i almost never compare adaptation to their source material. while it's made to promote the manga, it should still stand on its own to properly reenact the events derived from the original source.
Aug 25, 2022 4:35 AM
Mar 2017
You shouldn't have to read manga/LN to know if the anime is good or not, however calling something bad because of unexplained points of the story is stupid because you don't know if they are gonna be explained later or not (it's especially stupid if the season isn't over)
Aug 25, 2022 5:07 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
For me it's true, I don't know about others but it varies from anime to anime

Aug 25, 2022 5:39 AM

Jan 2009
first impression lasts as they say so if the first few episodes did not made you hook to a show then sure your friend is right

but your friend is talking about plot holes than first impressions though which means you are more correct here
Aug 25, 2022 5:41 AM

Dec 2015
It is unfathomably ridiculous to complain about unsolved plot points or holes in the story until you have finished the series/arc. How in the hell can you even know what is a plot hole until you have seen the full story? Another thing is when the story starts contradicting itself, but even then, you cannot be sure whether or not it is the choice of the writer to confuse viewer/reader. Every plot point always has a chance to be solved by the end. Though, your friend is in the right that you should not need knowledge of the source to judge the show. Adaptation stands as its' own work and comparing it to the source should not be necessary.
Aug 25, 2022 5:55 AM

Oct 2019
depends, if it is bad enough, you can tell almost instantly from the writing alone.

you can't really know exactly how good something is without finishing it, but you very well can tell how much potential something has with a few chapters or a single episode.

now there is a chance that the story may be long enough for the author to get good while writing it, but that almost never happens, and even if does, you will have a good story built on a weak foundation at best.

Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Aug 25, 2022 6:08 AM

Sep 2019
From the perspective of an anime only watcher, manga/source material should not be included in the discussion since both are different mediums to begin with. Anime adaptation from source material is not synonymous with source material. Though if like 5 episodes in and your friend isn't really invested in the show, he/she can just drop it. Your friend has a valid point, but in my opinion, it is too early to judge a show when he/she haven't finished the series, unless he/she already know where the show is going, and even then, I'd say he/she should finish it before giving his/her opinion (An initial assessment is fine; however, don't be too quick to judge and say X show is bad or X show is good unless the story itself is repetitive.).
Aug 25, 2022 6:25 AM

May 2011
Ajoymurmu123 said:
I just wanna know

Let's say like, you watch a predictable show with the sameish storyline structure. You take a look at it, and its arcs basically dumbs down to a basic formula. You can take at a look at a single one and think "oh well, this is X in a nutshell". Then yeah, you don't need the source material to tell that a show isn't worth your time, as it will stay very derivative at core, no matter what. They're generally shows never taking any risks to develop their premise beyond what they already are. They stay very true to themselves, but in return they get stale over time.
They're not necessarily bad, per se, but you will notice very little overall evolution. Unless you really, really love the show's formula, the characters and the way they interact, you will probably be compelled to drop it as it goes nowhere.

Conversely, there are shows which are way more versatile in a narrative standpoint, the ones which makes me tell that the review format of MAL isn't fitted at all since their arcs are very different from one another.
Aug 25, 2022 6:40 AM

Jul 2021
Your friend's complain about plot holes that early would require a big blunder from the author, since the plot can go anywhere with enough development. He's probably using the wrong term to show his disliking.

But he may have a point for it being garbage. Bad presentation of characters, poorly written dialogues/interactions, weak world building for what have been presented, lazy premise, abuse of tropes, etc, can be noted early. The author has to build up to a satisfying conclusion. They cant just half-ass the early portions on the promise that it will be good eventually. Or throw shit out of nowhere because one day down the line it will be useful for the plot. Or hold development until a decisive moment unfolds everything. Keeping your audience engaged, decent progression and the moment-to-moment enjoyment is part of good storytelling.
Aug 25, 2022 6:46 AM

Mar 2021
You can usually get a gist of what a show is trying to be by the first 5 eps but yeah complaining about plotholes 5 eps in is a little too impatient. Makes me wonder if the person has even watched a decent number of shows whether they're anime or not.
Aug 25, 2022 1:18 PM

Sep 2020
Phosphophyllita said:
I don't need more than 1 page or 1 episode to see how good it'll be.

What's the anime you guys were talking about? Also, manga =/= anime, if the anime failed, it's the anime's fault.
Looks at Peachboy Riverside's anime adaptation...

Yep you're absolutely right.
Lost my old account in the hacking accountpocalypse
Aug 25, 2022 1:19 PM

Sep 2020
GG-WP said:
From the perspective of an anime only watcher, manga/source material should not be included in the discussion since both are different mediums to begin with. Anime adaptation from source material is not synonymous with source material. Though if like 5 episodes in and your friend isn't really invested in the show, he/she can just drop it. Your friend has a valid point, but in my opinion, it is too early to judge a show when he/she haven't finished the series, unless he/she already know where the show is going, and even then, I'd say he/she should finish it before giving his/her opinion (An initial assessment is fine; however, don't be too quick to judge and say X show is bad or X show is good unless the story itself is repetitive.).
Yeah that type of person would not go well with animes with mayor shifts midway like Madoka or Kill la Kill
Lost my old account in the hacking accountpocalypse
Aug 25, 2022 3:35 PM

Mar 2020
Your friend is, overall, right. If I watch 5 episodes of a show and it's still boring af I'm gonna drop it. You don't even need to finish a 90 minute movie to decide if its good or bad. If the first half is bad, then the second half aint gonna redeem that.
💀😭😂🙏
Aug 25, 2022 6:27 PM

Feb 2021
I would have to agree with your friend on this one. If I have to read the manga to know an anime is good then the anime isn't doing a very good job at adapting the manga. Also, if an anime doesn't interest me after 3 episodes, I drop it.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Aug 25, 2022 6:55 PM

Aug 2020
If you're gonna throw comments like "plot holes" around, you actually need to have seen the whole thing. It's ridiculous to claim something doesn't make sense/isn't explained if you refuse to watch the explanation.

That said, there are a lot of other complaints that are perfectly valid without the need to finish it. Usually I know within an episode or two whether I'll like a show or not, and what it is doing "wrong".
Aug 25, 2022 7:38 PM

Feb 2021
LN readers will always be superior to manga peasants who can't read a book without pictures.
Aug 25, 2022 7:45 PM

Jun 2017
My thinking is the anime should stand on it's own and if yu need the manga to get anything good out of it, it's probably a bad story. Like how a movie based on a book can suck if it screws up the book.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Aug 25, 2022 7:59 PM
Nov 2020
You don't need to watch the entire anime for your criticism to be valid, but how much you've watched places some cap on how credible your criticism is. If you dropped it an anime at episode 1, your criticism is generally bound by that episode alone. If you just watched the first episode, looked up the ending, then attacked the entire story's narrative and writing, your criticism of the entire narrative doesn't hold much water as say somebody who watched the entire thing.
Aug 25, 2022 8:23 PM

Apr 2018
He's wrong, but I feel it's just wrong to compare the story in an anime to a story in the source, they're 2 different experiences. This is a medium thing, anime has only so much it can adapt as it takes more effort/time/money to adapt everything from its source. That's kinda a different topic in itself but generally you'd come across a lot of stories that were 'butchered'. I see the goal of an anime to be increasing the sales of its source. If that makes sense to you, you should be ready to excuse a few things here and there. If the anime manages to get you invested in the story, just go read the entire story and shit on it more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Isekai for the brain, CGDCT for the heart
Yuri for the pain and seiyuus for the soul.

Aug 25, 2022 8:30 PM

Sep 2019
I'd say your friend is wrong. SOunds like he's calling something a plothole at a point where he just hasnt reached the explanation yet. Though in general I would say you don't need to be familiar with the source material to know if something is bad or good. Unless its a really bad adaptation, it's probably just not something your friend is a fan of.
Aug 25, 2022 8:30 PM

Aug 2013
Totally true?

I mean, yeah, he can't say anything of the manga, but he's experiencing the anime first hand. He may be wrong in his statement but an anime adaptation is a different thing entirely from its source material.
Aug 25, 2022 11:11 PM

Oct 2008
I predominantly watch anime. Taking visuals, setting, characters and other stuff in to consideration. After watching one or more episodes, I decide if an anime is worth continuing or not.

Aug 25, 2022 11:13 PM

Nov 2021
I just need to watch the first episode(in some cases 5 or 6) to know if the story is good or bad
Aug 28, 2022 3:11 AM

Aug 2020
Firstly, in regards to your conversation their reply was actually a red herring bcoz your original topic was about plot holes not "is the story good/bad".

Secondly, the statement itself is wrong bcoz you'll never know whether the whole thing stays bad or not unless you experience it yourself.
Aug 28, 2022 3:27 AM

Aug 2018
Your argument against him is only valid as long as the anime stays faithful to its source material. Personally, I try to avoid using the source material in an argument, because the anime adaptation will always be different, however the degree to which it differs can vary greatly.
Poyo.
Aug 28, 2022 3:29 AM
Jul 2020
Well, I tend to give anime shows one or two episodes before deciding if the show is garbage or not. Usually, my hunch tends to be correct. However, this becomes more difficult in case of shows like Bleach and Gintama. I repeatedly put off watching Gintama because of that horrible 1st episode. My friends told me to keep watching the show. And it is a good thing that I did cause after 10 episodes or so, the show became fire. And incase of Bleach, I gave around 13 episodes and concluded that this show was garbage. And it has remained true for me ever since. Bleach is garbage.
Aug 28, 2022 3:37 AM

Oct 2013
This sounds like someone who dropped steins gate on eps 5 because plot hole lmao
Jan 31, 11:06 PM

Jul 2017
Hmm, I guess it depends on what your friend is basing that statement off of, and also how he would define “storyline.” Some people consider the storyline to be more like the plot rather than the story, whereas others believe it’s the other way around. Also, if he's saying that he knows what's going to happen in the entire story just from seeing the first five episodes of the anime, and he has no knowledge of the source material, then I believe there's a pretty good chance that he's just jumping to some major conclusions lol.

But, one thing that I believe he's definitely wrong about is his point about plot holes. It doesn’t make much sense to complain about plot holes if he’s only completed the first five episodes of the anime. He would have to complete the whole anime or source material first before being able to bring up plot holes.
Feb 1, 2:09 AM

Dec 2022
If a "plot hole" can be explained by further content, then it was never a plot hole in the first place - it was merely some parts of the story being left as a mystery that would be answered later. I see a lot of people get annoyed if they're not told why something happens immediately. These people can only tolerate very linear stories with a lot of exposition.

That being said, it's perfectly valid to not like something after only a few episodes and decide to drop it. It is everyone's right to decide if they feel like continuing something and I don't think they should be criticized for that. If you get the feeling that you aren't gonna enjoy the rest of the show much, it's fine to cut your losses and instead watch something that seems to be more enjoyable for you.
Feb 1, 2:59 AM

Apr 2012
It's a lot easier to tell that something is bad based on a small sample than it is to tell that something is good. With something that starts off well, it's usually possible to mess it up later, unless we're talking something like slice of life where the overall story isn't very significant. But it's very easy to be bad in an immediately obvious way, like your hero is a terrible person but the narrative clearly thinks they're great.
Feb 1, 3:51 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Eh, maybe an unpopular opinion, but story doesn't make an anime good.
What makes a show good is what kind of emotions it makes you feel, and what kind of long-term taste it leaves in your mouth.
I've seen plenty of animes with generic, simple stories that were very enjoyable because of characters and the emotional response the show generated with its execution, voice acting, music, etc. I've never felt attached to a story.

And no, you can't really judge an anime based on a small portion of it. You can have an early impression, but you can't have an opinion on it as a whole. You can say that the story was confusing or didn't feel enjoyable at the beginning. There's plenty of shows that spend too much time "building up" to the point where the audience loses interest before the big plot twist happens.
BigBoyAdvanceFeb 1, 3:56 AM

More topics from this board

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 )

Old_School_Akira - Yesterday

66 by Lucifrost »»
3 minutes ago

» What is the greatest disguise ever?

SgtBateMan - 6 hours ago

7 by SgtBateMan »»
7 minutes ago

» Who is your first and second favorite Jujutsu Kaisen character and why?

Inner_Dragon - 1 hour ago

7 by Jahra »»
9 minutes ago

» Old OVAs

JoeChip - 54 minutes ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
46 minutes ago

» Do you like seeing girls getting beaten in battle shouen training arcs?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
49 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.