Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 24, 2022 5:11 PM

Jul 2019

I listen to Yuki Kajiura's music and legit anything she makes is automatically based and remarkably exquisite. It is truly a blessing someone like her exists. But I just think to myself sometimes. Is she the best? Like is that it? You've reached the peak and no one can outmatch? no complaints from me tho.

Some ppl I think are very good are Sawano but he doesn't have the same emit the same EMOTION as that. At least, not always. There's also Clannad OST which I think is ridiculously good but still no Kajiura :(

Oh, Lilium is very amazing too but it is a one-hit wonder 💀💀.

What do you think tho??
Aug 24, 2022 5:19 PM

Jun 2016
Kajiura on Kara no Kyoukai and Gundam SEED was top tier stuff. But as a Jeremy Soule fanboy I'm not allowed to consider her the best composer.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 24, 2022 5:28 PM

Jul 2015
She is objectively THE best composer in anime.
Her work in Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero and Demon Slayer are absolutely phenomenal.
She even made SAO palatable and it's saying A LOT.

Aug 24, 2022 5:40 PM

Aug 2022
Are we talking musicians within anime? or like musicians in the entirety of music? cause like those are two very different questions. I'm going to asume you mean within anime music since the second question would be insanely broad and very difficult to answer.

I would say the best for me is a toss-up between Yoko Kanno of Cowboy Bebop, Darker than Black, Macross Plus, Turn A Gundam, The Vision of Escaflowne, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Wolf's Rain, Kids on the Slope, Genesis of Aquarion and Terror in Resonance fame

and Susumu Hirasawa of Berserk, Millenium Actress, Paprika, and Paranoia Agent fame

Aug 24, 2022 6:11 PM

Jul 2016
Since you mentioned Clannad,Jun Maeda and Shinji Orito composed the soundtrack for Clannad and for all of the Key Visual Novels like Air,Kanon,Planetarian,Little Busters etc..Maeda also composed the music for Angel Beats which he also created,he also has composed music for artists like yanaginagi,LiSA,Lia,Anri Kumaki. I'd say he's one of the best composers from Japan along with Yuki Kanno and Shiro Sagisu but his style is more towards sentimental/drama type of music instead of epic style like Sawano.
Aug 24, 2022 6:50 PM

Apr 2022
Yeah Kajiura’s the best. I’ve only listened to Clannad and Madoka Magica’s OST’s tho and I’m not familiar with Sawano’s work so my opinion could easily change.

But speaking as somebody who has played a lot of music in my life the quality of the Madoka Magica soundtrack is completely absurd and I’m willing to opine she’s the best as a semi-accurate first approximation. I guess I’ve watched SAO too and the music was damn good there as well.

Jun Maeda and Joe Hisaishi material definitely laudable as well.

Oh, whoever’s behind Made in Abyss OST deserves some recognition, though I only watched one episode and I’m not familiar with the name. Might go do some research when I’m back at desktop.
ScionOfCyanAug 24, 2022 6:55 PM
Aug 24, 2022 8:49 PM

Feb 2016
The 2 composers who worked on Yuri On Ice are better.
https://myanimelist.net/people/40876/Tarou_Umebayashi
https://myanimelist.net/people/40877/Taku_Matsushiba
その目だれの目?
Aug 24, 2022 11:52 PM

Apr 2022
ScionOfCyan said:
Yeah Kajiura’s the best. I’ve only listened to Clannad and Madoka Magica’s OST’s tho and I’m not familiar with Sawano’s work so my opinion could easily change.

But speaking as somebody who has played a lot of music in my life the quality of the Madoka Magica soundtrack is completely absurd and I’m willing to opine she’s the best as a semi-accurate first approximation. I guess I’ve watched SAO too and the music was damn good there as well.

Jun Maeda and Joe Hisaishi material definitely laudable as well.

Oh, whoever’s behind Made in Abyss OST deserves some recognition, though I only watched one episode and I’m not familiar with the name. Might go do some research when I’m back at desktop.

https://myanimelist.net/people/40530/Kevin_Penkin

Yeah, this guy. 30 yrs old. I might go watch Rising of the Shield Hero purely because of him, I wasn't planning to. Maybe my read was wrong but he seems like he has a lot of potential.
Aug 25, 2022 12:04 AM

Jun 2022
What about Kenji Kawai? He did absolutely amazing work on Mamoru Oshiis works and other great stuff like Mob Psycho, Eden of the East, Fate Stay/Night, Moribito, and few of Rumikos anime
I'd like to make myself believe that Planet Earth turns slowly
Aug 25, 2022 12:11 AM

Oct 2018
Yoko Kanno, Akira Senju, Hirayuki Sawano, Jun Maeda, and Yuki Hayashi left the Earth.
Natsuki_SanJuanAug 25, 2022 12:15 AM

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Aug 25, 2022 12:34 AM

Jun 2017
She is top 3 for sure... I would put Sawano Hiroyuki and Yamamoto Kohta above her
Aug 25, 2022 1:21 AM

Jul 2021
Yuki Kajiura - very specific soundscape especially with chorus of Kalafina and FictionJunction.
I like OSTs such as Noir, Fate Zero and Pandora Hearts.

Kanno Yoko - covering so huge range of genres from electronic to jazz and blues.
Cowboy Bebop, Ghost In The Shell (TV series) and Darker Than Black are my favourites.

Kenji Kawai - So melodic. Sometimes strange sound with a bit of Japanese elements?
Fate Stay Night(Studio Deen ver.), Ghost In The Shell (movie), Higashi No Eden are great examples.
Aug 25, 2022 1:29 AM

May 2020
She is probably the best music producer in anime.
Kara no Kyoukai, Madoka Magica and Heaven's Feel are all top tier.
Aug 25, 2022 7:47 AM

May 2020
As a Madoka fan,

Yep!!!
She is definitely the best musician that is related to anime.

@NextUniverse

I love your signature!!!
Hitagi__FurudeAug 25, 2022 8:52 AM
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Aug 25, 2022 7:47 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
One of the best, there're other underrated musicians who also produce banger tracks.
Aug 25, 2022 8:05 AM

May 2011
Chances are that 99,9% of the people here (me included) are too musically illiterate and not enough familiar with music theory to bluntly answer such question with a yes or no.
There are waaay too many skilled composers in the medium for me to tell who's the best of them all.
Aug 25, 2022 8:44 AM

Jul 2019
She's on the top certainly, but i don't think she's the best one. I put sawano ahead of her, his work on guilty crown still in my head.
Aug 25, 2022 8:51 AM

Oct 2018
Yoko Kanno is my favourite, her work in Wolf's Rain is one of my favourite soundtracks ever. I think Madoka OST took inspiration from Suspiria's soundtrack, I might be crazy here, I'm not sure
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Aug 25, 2022 1:30 PM

Apr 2022
sorcery said:
Chances are that 99,9% of the people here (me included) are too musically illiterate and not enough familiar with music theory to bluntly answer such question with a yes or no.
There are waaay too many skilled composers in the medium for me to tell who's the best of them all.

I don't have an opinion to express here other than my desire to share this meme
Aug 25, 2022 2:02 PM

May 2018
Dir En Grey are the best musicians.

Well, if talking about women, I'll name Yoko Kanno as a writer and Maaya Sakamoto and Origa as singers.

Nemo_NiemandAug 25, 2022 2:08 PM

Aug 25, 2022 2:07 PM

Apr 2022
(It’s me, by the way. I’m the one in here who has studied a lot of music theory. I could have waxed lyrical about Penkin’s work in Made in Abyss being reminiscent of Glass’s minimalism or the Mahlerian feel of Kajiura’s vocals in Madoka Magica but I just wanted to chill and vibe. There’s always gotta be that one person who tells everyone their opinions are worthless because they don’t have credentials though, doesn’t there. Well, I disagree with that opinion. People without formal training have something to teach me, too.)
Aug 25, 2022 4:41 PM

May 2011
ScionOfCyan said:
(It’s me, by the way. I’m the one in here who has studied a lot of music theory. I could have waxed lyrical about Penkin’s work in Made in Abyss being reminiscent of Glass’s minimalism or the Mahlerian feel of Kajiura’s vocals in Madoka Magica but I just wanted to chill and vibe. There’s always gotta be that one person who tells everyone their opinions are worthless because they don’t have credentials though, doesn’t there. Well, I disagree with that opinion. People without formal training have something to teach me, too.)

Thanks for reminding me to listen to Phillip Glass's music again, I love his Akhnaten opera. Majestic and yet so pared-down stylistically.
Aug 25, 2022 5:24 PM
Jul 2018
I don't want to call anyone "the best" since there are a lot of good ones, but I really love most of her osts so much.
Aug 25, 2022 5:56 PM

Apr 2011
She's good but I prefer Hiroyuki Sawano.
Aug 26, 2022 8:31 AM
Jul 2018
It's between her and Yoko Kanno in my opinion.
Aug 26, 2022 8:31 AM
Jul 2018
It's between her and Yoko Kanno in my opinion.
Aug 29, 2022 9:51 PM
Dec 2017
By far one of the best composers certainly.

Aug 30, 2022 6:37 AM
Aug 2021
She is the best and peak. Truly goated.

More topics from this board

» What is the superior Anime format? TV, Film, OVA, ONA, Shorts?

Dragevard - 9 hours ago

14 by Zarutaku »»
1 minute ago

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts?

Thy-Veseveia - 8 hours ago

13 by kvandrada »»
2 minutes ago

» ➢Is there an anime that you liked when you first watched it, but hate it when you look back?

Gashadokur0 - 9 hours ago

12 by kvandrada »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Best part of Fate Franchise?

Diamtheroad - Yesterday

26 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you find immoral anime fun to watch?

LenRea - 12 hours ago

21 by alshu »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.