Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 6, 2023 5:12 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
JaniSIr said:
Just what sort of answer did you expect when you straight up linked a blog post of someone else?
YOU started this conversation extremely condescending, but as I see my good will to actually address some of your points respectfully was wasted.

bruh why are you asking something too obvious? Somebody has already written what I wanted to say in a better form of presentation. If anything, you could either said things like agree, disagree or rather elaborate your points concretely by providing examples like I did above. Have you done any of that? No, all things you have said are one-dimension opinions without any research. What do you think of non-Anime fans when they state something like "Anime is for kid", "'Anime is an inferior medium to western media"?, can you take their argument seriously?
Jan 6, 2023 5:16 AM
Oct 2022
Kinda weired but I see most people saying that they "can't read"
Jan 6, 2023 5:17 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Cause so many people have an issue with reading. Which is funny cause majority of y'all are reading subtitles anyways.

Jan 6, 2023 5:45 AM

Feb 2018
points for Manga format;

* plenty of lovely Clothing details that gets lost in translation from Manga to Anime.

* Chara Design often suffers to a greater or lesser degree.

* Story/misc. details often get altered, often for the worse
Jan 6, 2023 5:58 AM

Jul 2021
kizumi91 said:
JaniSIr said:
Just what sort of answer did you expect when you straight up linked a blog post of someone else?
YOU started this conversation extremely condescending, but as I see my good will to actually address some of your points respectfully was wasted.

bruh why are you asking something too obvious? Somebody has already written what I wanted to say in a better form of presentation. If anything, you could either said things like agree, disagree or rather elaborate your points concretely by providing examples like I did above. Have you done any of that? No, all things you have said are one-dimension opinions without any research. What do you think of non-Anime fans when they state something like "Anime is for kid", "'Anime is an inferior medium to western media"?, can you take their argument seriously?

The majority of anime is actually for kids, and it's rather hard work to find the unpopular ones worth watching.
And why do I need to have a arts PhD to comment on manga being less fun to read than the webtoon format?
Jan 6, 2023 7:05 AM

Jun 2019
For me it's mainly because I don't read much fiction in general and haven't in years. It honestly peaked for me in primary school and most of the bulk of that content was required reading. Even in middle school and high school, I used to prefer taking history textbooks home to read or do so during downtime in class and reading far head of the sections we were actually on for its own sake and pure pleasure. I have an incredible amount of free time on my hands due to various lifestyle factors - undoubtedly more than the average person, but I'm also an extraordinarily slow-paced person. I like to really, rather than just fly through and devour content, think and rethink, muse on it, pause, then ruminate some more. Even for anime series it outwardly appears like I consumed quickly by completing in a few days, I many times will rewatch at least episodes or different parts and even individual scenes of it after the fact down the line, read about it, sometimes write about it, and ponder.

And as a result, even with this huge amount of free time, I just don't feel like there's really enough time in the day or a lifetime for it for my exact interests and purposes. I would rather watch a TV series or an hour and a half to four hour film in one morning, afternoon, or evening than take weeks to read a fictional novel or comic/manga/other material. Watching a TV series or film will almost always be quicker because the amount of time it takes to actually watch is set, defined, and the same for everyone. You can pause or rewind, rewatch, etc., but the actual length of the whole content's running time is concrete and established. How long it takes to read fictional material is entirely a different matter and much more up to the individual, and for someone like me who gets lost in thought and goes down endless rabbit holes, it's just not usually a judicious use of my time.

It would be fine if I didn't consume much and only wanted to take in a limited amount of fictional works on one hand, and I read little to no non-fiction on the other, but the precise opposite is actually the case. I've seen in a lifetime up to now (and logged) thousands of live action and cartoon films, hundreds of live action and cartoon TV series, and over 200 anime series by now after stepping into this world, and expect on that last one to watch at least hundreds more. I'd rather spend the time doing this. And my other time reading non-fiction in other subjects I'm interested in beyond experiencing art firsthand, like history, international affairs and geopolitics, historiography, comparative religious studies, evolutionary biology, neurology and neuropharmacology, other areas of medical science, philosophy, etc.
WatchTillTandavaJan 6, 2023 7:11 AM
Jan 6, 2023 8:20 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
JaniSIr said:
And why do I need to have a arts PhD to comment on manga being less fun to read than the webtoon format?
But the matter here is you were acting like a Manga PhD in the first place by saying things like "Manga is a straight downgrade of webtoon" and "Movement is lost in still images" while you have only read Manhwa at most. I respect everybody's taste and their personal bias but will never approve any superifical opinions towards things they don't fully understand.
Jan 6, 2023 8:59 AM
Jan 2023
Fario-P said:
iHaveAmazinTaste said:

No thank you books are boring I'll stick to anime thank you
Why on earth are you quoting a lazy post from me from over a year ago when you clearly don't want to discuss in any meaningful way?

Because I feel like it :) do you have a problem with that?
Jan 6, 2023 11:37 AM

Jul 2021
kizumi91 said:
JaniSIr said:
But the matter here is you were acting like a Manga PhD in the first place by saying things like "Manga is a straight downgrade of webtoon" and "Movement is lost in still images" while you have only read Manhwa at most. I respect everybody's taste and their personal bias but will never approve any superifical opinions towards things they don't fully understand.

I don't think I made claims that are that hard to substantiate. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Like come on, a still image does not move by definition...
Jan 6, 2023 11:40 AM

Dec 2022
Anime has animation, sound and colours.
Manga does not have these, barring colours (sometimes).

If someone didn't read manga, then I guess that would be the reason.

Shaded Horizon

Jan 6, 2023 12:00 PM

Jul 2016
personally, i have the attention span of a potato so it's hard for me to read manga XD 
when i try i either a) i read too fast and i don't pay attention to what's happening or b) i end up open a new browser tab while reading and i start doing literally any other thing

with anime it's more easy to pay attention since it has animation, music and voices and it helps me to pay attention properly. :s
Jan 6, 2023 1:55 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
JaniSIr said:
I don't think I made claims that are that hard to substantiate. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Like come on, a still image does not move by definition...

Your sentence is semantically not wrong but it's just the typical trait of Manga, using it as a mean to undermine Manga especially action Manga is just nah.
For example, I believe even anyone who have never read Manga can also conceive this CSM scene. That's what makes Manga rich here. Things Manga needs only 2 or 3 panels to present, Manhwa needs like.20 or 30 pages.

Well, if you can come up with any better argument to prove your point I'd glad to continue this conversation.
Jan 6, 2023 2:16 PM

Jul 2021
kizumi91 said:
Your sentence is semantically not wrong but it's just the typical trait of Manga, using it as a mean to undermine Manga especially action Manga is just nah.
For example, I believe even anyone who have never read Manga can also conceive this CSM scene. That's what makes Manga rich here. Things Manga needs only 2 or 3 panels to present, Manhwa needs like.20 or 30 pages.

You picked a scene where I actually know what's happening, having seen the anime...

But that comment of mine wasn't made in the context of manhwa vs manga, just that you dissed the romance genre.
I read this recently, and it had great comedy, but the action was significantly less enjoyable.
It even has more details than the CSM page you linked, and it was still sometimes really hard to tell what's going on.
And you have those panels, where they draw lines to signify what was the movement, which I really hate.
Jan 6, 2023 8:00 PM

Jul 2022
Anime has so much more than manga. I just don't get much engaged when reading. 

Kek

Jan 6, 2023 9:58 PM
Jul 2018
Manga is older, therefore less cheesy, than newer mainstream adaptations.
Jan 6, 2023 10:25 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
JaniSIr said:
You picked a scene where I actually know what's happening, having seen the anime...
Do you just read? I'm taking a CSM scene as a general example for anyone who have no experience with CSM. If anything, you should put yourself in their shoes to understand what I mean. Oh well, if you want something new, here're some of them.

JaniSIr said:
But that comment of mine wasn't made in the context of manhwa vs manga, just that you dissed the romance genre.
And my comment also doesn't have any mean to dis romance like you said. I'm only trying to point out your words "Movement is lost in still images" make no sense and "Manga is best for romannce genre" is also wrong.

JaniSIr said:
I read this recently, and it had great comedy, but the action was significantly less enjoyable.
It even has more details than the CSM page you linked, and it was still sometimes really hard to tell what's going on.
Then pls gives me some panels or pages, I really want to see how detail it is. Note that it's just a random action page from CSM not one of those best ones.

JaniSIr said:
And you have those panels, where they draw lines to signify what was the movement, which I really hate.
So you hate Manga for being a Manga? Same for non-Anime fans who hate Anime because they can't stand the moe and big eyes.
Jan 7, 2023 3:28 AM

Dec 2008
You tell me, you’re the one who doesn’t like manga reading, you should be able to figure it out.
Jan 7, 2023 6:41 AM

Jul 2021
kizumi91 said:
So you hate Manga for being a Manga? Same for non-Anime fans who hate Anime because they can't stand the moe and big eyes.

Yea, action manga in particular can be borderline illegible.
And bug eyes is a very valid complaint, anime does in fact have lots of oddities that you have to get used to...
kizumi91 said:
Then pls gives me some panels or pages, I really want to see how detail it is. Note that it's just a random action page from CSM not one of those best ones.

Okay, I have over sold that a bit. Also for some reason MAL doesn't want to eat my image links.
Apr 30, 2023 7:55 AM
Jul 2018
I just completed Tokyo ghoul manga . I know anime adaptation was trash and honestly manga is good but I couldn't connect to characters in manga when I was connected in anime so it's like you get spoiled but and then you can't enjoy anime adaption:(
Apr 30, 2023 8:15 AM

Jun 2015
Reading managa is not more time consuming than watching as some people are saying, unless you read extremely slow. But reading is definitely more energy consuming than simply watching.
Apr 30, 2023 6:16 PM

Jan 2023
Not really sure other than they don't have the time to read manga.
Apr 30, 2023 6:23 PM

Mar 2017
Manga can be a little bit tricky to get into if you're not used to the format. Personally, I enjoy reading manga and find it easy to just pick up and read if I ever want to, but I can understand that someone wouldn't want to learn how to read it or find it inaccessible because of the lack of color, poor quality releases, or lack of a reading device/local library.

I think manga is very worth giving a shot, though, as it usually saves you time since I find it faster to read a chapter of a manga than to sit down and dedicate 25 minutes of my life to a full episode. It's also a good way to find something you like since you're not wasting much time if you read a couple chapters and decide you're not into the story being told.
Apr 30, 2023 6:41 PM
Jul 2013
who is "most people"?  would love to see where you're getting your statistics from
Apr 30, 2023 7:59 PM
Mar 2021
If anime can make me feel so good, then I'll read manga too.
May 1, 2023 11:34 PM

Apr 2023
Anime has more ways for stimulation.
May 2, 2023 1:46 AM

Aug 2020
For me, it's just that I find them too expensive for the most part. If I'm gonna shill out the equivalent of 15 dollars per volume, you better give me at least 5+ hours of reading time out of it, but I finish a manga volume in 20 min, so that's just not worth spending so much money on, compared to a regular book 🤷‍♀️

As for digital manga, I do read them occasionally, but they're just kinda...annoying, a bit? Like, they require so much scrolling/swiping. I can watch anime while I eat or do chores because I can use my hands for something else while watching, but for reading manga, I need to swipe every few seconds, it's really inconvenient.
May 2, 2023 2:14 AM

Oct 2020
daathly said:
who is "most people"?  would love to see where you're getting your statistics from
The most popular anime on MAL which is Shingeki no Kyojin has 3,7 million members, The most popular manga (which is also SNK) has no more than 700k members, I'd say that's some statistic.
To answer the question; it's not that people dont read manga, it's that people dont read in general, mostly because social media has fried their attention span :/
May 3, 2023 12:55 AM

Dec 2013
It's a different kind of commitment, compared to watching anime. It takes patience, effort and the right mood. With anime it's easier, since just one of those three is enough.
May 3, 2023 1:34 AM

Jul 2012
I like to read books and comics, but I don't read manga. 

I guess my reason is because I don't know the Japanese language. Which means that when i'm watching an anime, I'm also reading as well (subtitles). 
So I guess reading a show feels like it fulfills both areas for me.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.

May 3, 2023 4:35 AM

Aug 2020
I created a thread related to this topic, and the results were interesting. Most anime-only prefer voice, animation and colors; and some feel their eyes tired due to reading in (mostly) a screen.

My opinion is that it takes a little more effort and doesn't have the flow anime has.

May 3, 2023 5:14 AM

Mar 2020
People are allergic to reading in general
May 3, 2023 11:17 AM

Mar 2008
Setting aside any possible adaptation changes, certain genres just arent as good in that form. Like action isnt quite action when everything is still images. Some forms of comedy are better delivered where there is a fixed timing.
May 3, 2023 12:25 PM

Jan 2021
The way I enjoy manga is the same way I enjoy regular books and novels. While I can read on a screen, I hate it. I don't know what it is, but something about reading manga on a screen makes it a slog to get through. I much prefer to read physical manga, but the issue is that you have to pay out the ass to get them, and two volumes are often at least $20, something I don't readily have, and finding manga at my local thrift or secondhand stores is damn near impossible.

May 3, 2023 12:30 PM

Sep 2007
TheAsterNaut said:
I happen to think it's as simple as the fact that watching anime is a passive activity, and reading is a more active activity. You can veg out watching something, but reading requires you to hold it and turn the pages (or scroll with online reading.)  People will just be lazy and wait for manga to just get an anime or never check out the series.
Pretty much this for me and I don't mind reading , but I  just can't really get into manga much even though I can tolerate spoiler to a degree
May 3, 2023 2:36 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Most people can't even read letters and alphabets..

May 3, 2023 3:05 PM

Apr 2023
For the same reason people don't read books. People do not adapt to media that involve more interaction or creativity. For example, there are people who limit themselves to watching movies, and they don't enjoy reading because they find it complicated, boring, etc., to have to imagine the scenario, something that doesn't happen in a movie; that is, you need more creativity for reading. In the case of manga, you have to interact; on the other hand, in anime you just watch, listen and read. You also have to take into account that manga lacks sound, which can discourage anyone who wants to get into the medium.
Maybe I'm just overthinking it, though, and it's a simple matter of taste.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Are there any anime that you think should have ended sooner?

Anjuro - May 26

28 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

» Which female anime character has the best drip?

Anjuro - 43 minutes ago

5 by Anjuro »»
11 minutes ago

» Which anime character would you most like to have a philosophical debate with?

Wendoka - 39 minutes ago

3 by Serafos »»
13 minutes ago

» Is Shojo Anime making a comeback?

RedTea33 - 5 hours ago

9 by alshu »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » How dominant is anime in the content you consume?

RobertBobert - 12 hours ago

29 by MeguSae38 »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.