Forum Settings
Forums

What's with the hate towards people who prefer dubbed anime?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 14, 2020 7:35 AM

Sep 2017
Damn, all these people have some really weird priorities trying to change how you watch anime

I watch dubs when I can! Funimation sub has been great. For me it has to do with like established voices, where in my head, Lelouch will always be Johnny Yong Bosch so I couldn't watch any new Code Geass stuff til it's out in dub. But with new shows that have a couple week dub delay, I'm okay watching sub to stay ahead.

People just gotta accept that there's dubs that are legitimately just as good, or even better than, watching the sub! The only reason so many people are like "its cringe" is because they dont know Japanese and they don't know if the JP actor was putting on a cringey performance in the first place.
Mar 14, 2020 12:47 PM

Dec 2010
nanimeanswhat said:
drstonefan said:

I think you are wrong about voice actors expressing emotion english dub voice actors can do it just as well if not better than seiyuu like for example the emotions of the characters that the voice actors play in these dubs MHA especially episode 14 of the 4th season also all of the emotional moments in FMA:B/ and Shield Hero and many more.

Yet none of them are on the same level as god-tier VAs like the ones I mentioned (Miyano Mamoru and Kaji Yuki)

will say only a couple words yes they are you are just biased.
Mar 14, 2020 6:25 PM

Jul 2016
I have been watching subs for years now and when I wanted to watch a dub, it sounds just so retarded to me all the characters sound so dumb and kinda cringy, but like others have said you do you, I don't hate dub watchers I just find it a little weird
Mar 15, 2020 6:25 PM
Jul 2018
Watching dubs is perfectly fine, why do people feel the need to look down on people who do so. They have this mindset where they believe subs is the only correct way, dubs are beyond lame and watching dubs means you're actually not watching anime and so on. It's ridiculous. There is no right or wrong version, it's just your preference.
Mar 15, 2020 7:57 PM

Sep 2014
We will stop hating when you'll finally watch your anime subbed.
Mar 15, 2020 8:00 PM

Jun 2015
Because people apparently have nothing better to do. They're total scrubs and will take any chance at appearing superior to someone else. Or at least that's the only thing I can think of, since it's such a sad and meaningless argument.

Watch Yu Yu Hakusho dubbed or die.

💖 𝐼'𝓂 𝒽𝒶𝓎𝒹𝑒𝓃❣ 💖

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚ 💝 𝒯𝓌𝒾𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇 💝 𝒴𝑜𝓊𝒯𝓊𝒷𝑒 💝 ˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆
💝 𝑀𝓎𝐹𝒾𝑔𝓊𝓇𝑒𝒞𝑜𝓁𝓁𝑒𝒸𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃 💝
Mar 15, 2020 8:03 PM

May 2019
Just ignore those people. Funny thing is on a subreddit I used romanji title form attack on titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) and a guy got mad at me saying that onky shitty weebs use Japanese Titles. There are stupid people on both sides.
Don't be a self pretentious that is the most gayest thing ever
English Dubs are better than subs
You all have anime profile pic so you opinion doesn't count
Your Waifu is trash
Cory in the house is the best anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFQQALduhzA
Japanese are one of the most xenophobic nations
My Anime List looks like a website from 1990s
Mar 15, 2020 9:11 PM

Dec 2017
Elitists know that many western anime viewers begin with dubbed anime before switching to subbed. To them, switching to subbed anime means they have graduated from being a beginner anime fan and are now a part of the cool kids club. The easiest way to show others that they are in fact in the cool kids club is to speak poorly of the club which they are now above. This cements their status as a cool kid.
Some choose a less explicit approach where they can avoid criticism while still earning their monthly quota of cool kid points. They might devise literature along the lines of:

"haha, there's nothing wrong with dubbed, it's just that after I switched to subbed, dubs seem kinda cringy to me now lol, but I don't understand the hate tbh!"

If you prefer dubbed anime, just remember that this is the average mindset of a person preaching about subbed.
Mar 15, 2020 9:54 PM

Sep 2019
People just see their own preferences as superior, or at the very least, "seeing it as right" from their own perspectives. What really takes a brain is realising that other brains don't operate like your own.

For example, I likes subs; but hot damn, do I have a preference for the DBZ dub. Personally, I think the people who say that are just a vocal minority while most people just think to themselves "yeah, that's fine" and carry on without voicing it.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Mar 15, 2020 9:56 PM

Apr 2015
drstonefan said:
nanimeanswhat said:

Yet none of them are on the same level as god-tier VAs like the ones I mentioned (Miyano Mamoru and Kaji Yuki)

That describes half the anti-dub people in this thread tbh. I like dubs as much as I do subs. It's nice to not always have to look at subtitles.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Mar 15, 2020 10:16 PM
Sep 2017
I only like the original language cause that is how the people that made the anime/movie/game made it out to be. Companies that dub are usually separeted from the original company that made the final product, that measn that some things like how a scene has to play out, what emotions wanted the creator to transmit are a lot of times lost in dubs.

Im a spanish speaker, and I always watch/read/play in the OL.

Examples on how a character can change only by his voice actor: Goku JVA (japanese voice actress) makes goku to be kinda like a childish person which is the point of goku character he doesn't care about anything he just wants to fight.

but with the SVA(spanish voice actor) they give him this badass voice making him look a lot more serious and smart, at some extend the same with the english dub.

Im not saying that theres no dub anime good (Code Geass and Cowboy Bebop are great dubs that understand how the creators of those series wanted the characters to be)

Let me ask you a question why we dislike some manga adaptations? why we like more FMAB than FMA 2003? cause brotherhood is how the creator of FMA wanted the story to be. Dub anime is basically the same
Mar 16, 2020 9:39 AM

Dec 2010
Tropisch said:
drstonefan said:

That describes half the anti-dub people in this thread tbh. I like dubs as much as I do subs. It's nice to not always have to look at subtitles.

Yes for sure I actually only watch subbed when there are no other options.
Mar 16, 2020 9:47 AM

Sep 2009
Not hating but I'm getting triggered when someone says American voice acting is superior to Japanese voice acting or humiliating the original content in the YouTube comments.
VargnattMar 16, 2020 9:51 AM

Mar 16, 2020 9:54 AM

Oct 2019
I prefer subs over dubs because a) I have become used to it and b) I prefer subtitles. Even on non-cartoon/non-anime shows, I keep subtitles on. Dubs and subs differs from person to person. I find many subs better than their dub counter parts but there are dubs that are on equal or better terms.
For example, I am not a fan of Dragonball but whenever I hear JP VA for Goku, it sounds like a grown man has a childlike voice whereas the EN VA has a more adult voice for Goku.
But another contributing factor is that many seasonals do not have a dubbed version and seasonals that do have a dubbed, there is like a few days or a week difference between subbed and dubbed. If the subbed comes out first, Imma watch it first.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Nov 15, 2020 4:01 PM

Oct 2018
Because people on are dickheads. There is no problem with liking dubs. I personally like both equally and can enjoy either. Just ignore those pretentious chucklefucks and continue to enjoy anime.

However regardless of what side of The Sub V. Dub you're on can we all that this debate is dumb and should have died a long time a ago. Since no one switches side because of the debate.
Nov 15, 2020 4:10 PM
Nov 2019
If u like generic voices without any effort watch dubs.
if u like robot voices for some reason watch dub.
If u like comedy genre watch every anime in dub and it will become comedy,
because the voices are so funny.
if u wanna upset normal ppl tell them you watch anime in dub.
if u wanna insult Japanese culture watch dub.

Ngl dubs are pretty much trash and big garbage.

Nov 15, 2020 4:12 PM
Jul 2018
People like that think the "true" way to watch anime and appreciate it is through watching anime subbed or raw. But you can enjoy the anime in either dub or sub. I watch a lot of sub lately because I find that the voice actors sound better in Japanese. But I understand watching it in English since it makes the viewing experience easier. It can be hard to follow the subtitles while paying attention to the story sometimes. I wouldn't pay those people who say that you should watch shows in sub any mind. I would do what makes the viewing experience easiest for you.
Nov 15, 2020 4:16 PM

Jul 2020
I think its because of how dubs usually sound. For me anyway, it just seems unnatural with all the yelling and high voices that makes it hard to take seriously. When it's in sub though, I don't think of it as unnatural since the language is foreign to me anyway. I just accept the yelling and high voices as silly Japanese things and enjoy the show.
Jun 28, 2021 12:19 AM

Jun 2021
4Kids dub of One Piece. That tells you everything you need to know about horrible dubbed anime
Jun 28, 2021 12:35 AM

Oct 2017
Cause english dub is bad a lot of the times.
Jun 28, 2021 12:38 AM

Feb 2016
MegamiRem said:

Yes and most modern dubs tend to remove the original Japanese line (Dragon Maid)
Jun 28, 2021 1:04 AM

Oct 2017
Artifiyings said:
MegamiRem said:

Yes and most modern dubs tend to remove the original Japanese line (Dragon Maid)
Yeah they change dialogues/lines/honorifics etc.
Jun 28, 2021 1:06 AM

Dec 2020
i think there is such an disagreement because people feel superior when they are able to understand or do something that isn't the "usual" it is an an ego thing. i watch anime sub and dub, just based on which one i prefer.

people like feeling that they are better than the people around them because they don't feel enough or want to feel important. maybe that is harsh but that is how i see it. it is idiotic and it honestly is such a stupid thing to fight about! we all watch anime, its the same storyline ૮₍ ˃ ⤙ ˂ ₎ა
ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭ have a good day
Jun 28, 2021 1:08 AM

Jul 2020
The community has become more calmer now compared to back then.Now sub preferes don't really hate those who prefer dub but the dub hate still exist.
ccbestgirl1411 said:
I dunno man, I've never understood the hate towards people who prefer dubbed anime. Most of them say that it's got the same VA's but the same thing could be said for the sub VA's as well. They should understand that people have preferences, stop ewwing us :/

Exactly.I'm planning to watch Fruits Basket in dub because I can't stand the Va of the main character.It's annoying as hell even though I'm usually the one who prefers sub.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jun 28, 2021 1:12 AM
Nov 2013
The reason I started watching subbed was that when I was in middle or early high school the dub for naruto came out way later than the subbed. It also took longer to find shows in dubbed so it just became convenient to watch in subbed, now it's what I prefer. However, I will throw some shade because I have friends who will only watch shows in dubbed and it's annoying trying to show them new shows because they refuse unless the dub is out and for example, Vinland Saga didn't have a dub and it was a literal fight to get my best friend to watch it with me. So I think it goes both ways if I can respect you like dubbed and I try to watch stuff with you in dubbed because it's your preference then please grow up when it's not an option.
Aug 11, 2021 6:28 PM

Jan 2020
CuteAssTiger said:
Dubs have been getting better over time as the industry gets bigger in the West and gets better VA but usually the original is just better.

Anime is a very extreme medium where you get a bunch of emotional scenes where people yell Into microphones and the dubs often fail to reach that extreme .

That's why so many people don't like the dubs .
Although the times of truly awful dubs are pretty much over

"better va"
hard disagree
jamieson price,wendee lee,steve blum,crispin freeman and richard epcar are actually good voice actors (starred in good dubs you don't care to know exist because you think "new good old bad" is a good mindset which is bs) and much better these generic nobodies they hire nowadays lol and dubs got worse in variety and casting choices
and no bad dubs will always exist and there's more of them than back then because funimation dubs became the norm and these imo just suck and sentai dubs the second most common dubs are mostly done by chris ayres who always sucks as a dub director and that makes most sentai dubs bad
at least back then you had consistently good dubs with actually good casting choices from studios like bang zoom,ocean group,media concepts,pcb productuions,animaze (1995 and afterwards) and new generation pictures
you could a random anime they did and 9/10 it's a really good dub
nachomaxo1Aug 11, 2021 6:37 PM
Aug 11, 2021 10:49 PM
Feb 2020
I really didnt know about this issue until the early 2000s when I started learning English more but from a person that is Japanese myself I think it's more of just something to argue about. I've seen some clips of dubs and they arent bad but japanese is my first language and just I'd rather hear it in my own language. I'd assume English people would want to do the same. The only thing that I can think of currently is some of the politically charged mistranslations in some of the newer anime I guess. I've seen some clips of those but never understood it because I don't know or pay attention to any countries politics.

If were talking back in the day dubs or dubs that weren't politically charged I'm going with people just like to argue in general. I dont think a lot of anime in english is like that I've only seen a handful but it would be annoying to me if it was like japanese politics in anime as in currently happening events. That's my take but yeah I dont watch dubs so take this with some salt.

Edit: just so we are on the same page I know some people watch japanese version to keep up instead of waiting and some dont get a dub. I'm aware of that I just dont get why people criticize another person for wanting to hear it in their language if available. Watch whatever version you want.
tasairentoAug 11, 2021 10:53 PM
Aug 11, 2021 11:43 PM

Jan 2018
nachomaxo1 said:
CuteAssTiger said:
Dubs have been getting better over time as the industry gets bigger in the West and gets better VA but usually the original is just better.

Anime is a very extreme medium where you get a bunch of emotional scenes where people yell Into microphones and the dubs often fail to reach that extreme .

That's why so many people don't like the dubs .
Although the times of truly awful dubs are pretty much over

"better va"
hard disagree
jamieson price,wendee lee,steve blum,crispin freeman and richard epcar are actually good voice actors (starred in good dubs you don't care to know exist because you think "new good old bad" is a good mindset which is bs) and much better these generic nobodies they hire nowadays lol and dubs got worse in variety and casting choices
and no bad dubs will always exist and there's more of them than back then because funimation dubs became the norm and these imo just suck and sentai dubs the second most common dubs are mostly done by chris ayres who always sucks as a dub director and that makes most sentai dubs bad
at least back then you had consistently good dubs with actually good casting choices from studios like bang zoom,ocean group,media concepts,pcb productuions,animaze (1995 and afterwards) and new generation pictures

And in how many anime do those appear out of all the older anime ?

The reason dubs have been getting better over time is because the industry over time has gotten more popular and thus has more money and recources to get better VAS . This is a totally logical reality and has nothing to do with the ignorant generelation you just pulled out of nowhere.

Growing up I've seen more German dubs then English ones ( and those definitely used to be absolutely awful) but from what I've gathered over the years people have observed the same development in other languages.

After all an easy explanation for why the original japanese Dub tends to be the better version in almost all cases is simply because they put more focus on making anime then any other region.

A region that is focused on playing soccer really well will find,cultivate,train a lot of good soccer players

A region that does those things for anime will likely produce the best anime voice actors.

I suppose English dubs in particular have a good chance to pull from many actor careers as there might be an easy correlation between people striving to be actors and people who are voice actors

Maybe you shouldn't tell people what they think while you inject some ignorant BS into what they are actully thinking .I've never even remotely implied that something that is new automatically has to be better then something that is old.
GG
Aug 11, 2021 11:50 PM

Aug 2016
I'd watch dubbed if there were competent VA's involved, but there's no real money in dubbing anime so it's never going to happen. Japanese VA work seems to always be really good I've literally never had a complaint for VA work in anything I've ever watched. Although I will say when I start Pokemon I'm 100% watching the dub, but I'll be listening to the japanese OPs and EDs because they are way better.
Aug 12, 2021 1:23 AM

Jan 2020
CuteAssTiger said:
nachomaxo1 said:

"better va"
hard disagree

And in how many anime do those appear out of all the older anime ?

The reason dubs have been getting better over time is because the industry over time has gotten more popular and thus has more money and recources to get better VAS . This is a totally logical reality and has nothing to do with the ignorant generelation you just pulled out of nowhere.

Growing up I've seen more German dubs then English ones ( and those definitely used to be absolutely awful) but from what I've gathered over the years people have observed the same development in other languages.

After all an easy explanation for why the original japanese Dub tends to be the better version in almost all cases is simply because they put more focus on making anime then any other region.

A region that is focused on playing soccer really well will find,cultivate,train a lot of good soccer players

A region that does those things for anime will likely produce the best anime voice actors.

I suppose English dubs in particular have a good chance to pull from many actor careers as there might be an easy correlation between people striving to be actors and people who are voice actors

Maybe you shouldn't tell people what they think while you inject some ignorant BS into what they are actully thinking .I've never even remotely implied that something that is new automatically has to be better then something that is old.
GG

let's see
ruroni kenshin (bang zoom dub),code geass,ghost in the shell,outlaw star,cowboy bebop,trigun,gurren lagaan,monster,helllsing,paranoia agent,the big o,perfect blue,s cry ed,naruto,bleach,chobits,wolf's rain,haruhi suzumiya,gundam f91,gundam war in the pocket,metropolis and way more
and no just because it got "bigger" doesn't mean it's better (in fact it's almost a monopoly unlike back then where there was good companies like central park media,geneon/pioneer,bandai and media blasters)
imo I would say it's worse
at least monstly consitent high quality dubs (well if you count censored tv dubs by saban and 4kids like pokemon you're an ahole since those are always bad no matter when they are made) from bang zoom,the ocean group,nyav post,media concepts and pcb productions with actually good casting choices
unlike now since most dubs are done by funimation (they treated like they were the worst back then and weren't as big for a reason butchered scripts and really bad voice acting and it's still the same),sentai's directed chris ayres aka most of their dubs and netflix's vsi and all these dubs suck
once in a while you get a good dub from by people like kyle jones or john swasey but it's not much
and the good dubs nowadays mostly from la studios like bang zoom and studiopolis (since the ocean group or true new york dubs even though the few that exist are some of the best dubs of the 2010s) have very poor casting choices and they simply decided to get rid of the talented people like steve blum and bridget hoffman in favor of new,boring and oversaturated actors who just not as good as these old actors
and you're the one who's ignorant for the fact you deny good old dubs exists you pos
nachomaxo1Aug 12, 2021 1:34 AM
Aug 12, 2021 1:37 AM

Oct 2008
I am one of those people, the example Catra_Fangirl gave was pretty on point. It's like I don't hate the eng Dub guys, I've also watched dub. But there's good dub and bad dub. In the last 10 years any anime that came out had dub that made me cringe.

For me anime had good dub in the 2000s and previous decades. My first language isn't eng, or jap, so having both featured in anime is ideal for me. That's only possible however when it's Japanese dub and eng sub.
Jan 18, 11:50 AM
Aug 2023
Reply to AquaMailman
It's the same kind of thing as when people look down on others for drinking good whisky from the "wrong kind of glass." They feel you're missing out on the full experience and thus assume you have less authority to offer your opinion on it. Who cares what they think? You do you.
@AquaMailman dub haters are so biased they dont think anything sound better than sub.
And i am a 99% dub watcher and i love dub.
So fuck off dub haters
Jan 18, 11:54 AM
Aug 2023
Reply to _Minnie
I'm the same way. If there is an English dub at my fingertips I'm gonna watch it. Some people usually think the sub is better because there are things that are like... left out of the dub or something so they prefer to watch the direct translation because when people make the scripts for dub they can't go off of like the subtitles in sub because they don't always fit, or they aren't the best translation ect ect. I hope this answers your question?? lol
@_Minnie so true
But dub haters cant just accept that.
They are so toxic
Jan 18, 12:01 PM

Aug 2018
true legends watch anime in russian

Jan 18, 12:06 PM
Feb 2016
I have always been more of a sub person than a dub person, it's just what I am used to and I don't really feel the need to switch over. English voice actors are often really good but hearing some lines in more over the top anime (especially shounen) in a language I understand be it english or german tends to make me cringe. That's more of a me problem though and I still do occasionally watch dubs. Mostly when I watch anime with my mother because she prefers dubs. I guess it's just a thing of personal taste and what you are used to, no reason to hate on any one side, though I think those days are mostly over.

Side note: I also tend to prefer watching / reading things in their original language. I read english books in their original version and am currently trying to learn french and russian so I can reread some of their classics in the original language. That can also be a factor in prefering subs over dubs so I thought I'd mention it.
AtlantaRiddleJan 18, 12:11 PM
Jan 18, 12:25 PM

Sep 2016
I was like that too, but then I realized how much better the Japanese voice actors and actresses are.

This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jan 18, 12:35 PM

Sep 2023
It's not like I hate people who watch dub anime, some dubs are good but the main feeling and emotions you get from sub cannot be recreated, I always prefer watching shows in their original language and not dubbed, I just don't want to miss out on whats actually happening
Jan 18, 4:22 PM

Apr 2014
Personally I enjoy them both. I love subbed a little more because there's much more emotion. Take the same dramatic or intense scene on subbed and dubbed, and you'll see a difference. However, there should never be any hate towards dubbed or subbed anime or the people who watch either. I understand both sides and why they like them. You watch what makes you happy and comfortable. Anyone who throws shade or insults at you for watching dubbed or subbed is a child.

There was a time where people were bullied and picked on for even liking anime. We stuck together and not look at us.. insulting each other? No better than the people who bullied the anime fans years ago.

At the end of the day, whether you're watching subbed or dubbed, YOU'RE supporting that anime by watching it and that is all that ever matters.
Jan 18, 4:53 PM
Dec 2015
Wild how out of touch everyone is. The reality is the English voice acting is just bad. It's that simple. There are VERY FEW cases where it's not and then it's enjoyable, gurren lagann being a great example. Attack on titan is a case where the dub voice actors never reach the emotional levels the Japanese voice actors do, and shit voice acting leads to worse immersion.
Don't worry if none of this applies to you though. Unironically most anime watchers just throw on literally anything and just watch it while doing something else, they don't care about immersion at all and dub works for them.
Jan 18, 5:08 PM

Oct 2009
Dubs have gotten a lot better in recent years so the whole dubs are awful carries less validity than it once did. Is every dub good? No. But taking things across the board the standard has improved and there are even some series when I feel the dub is superior to the native version. I do also think some of this talk about dubs being bad is just gatekeeping by certain anime fans i.e. you are not a real anime fan if you watch anime dubs you are just a tourist. The real anime viewers will watch the subs! Forget all this nonsense and just watch the anime whatever format takes your fancy. Dubs, subs or even raw. It does not matter. It is not like we are earning a living watching anime!
monsta666Jan 18, 5:15 PM
Jan 18, 5:10 PM

Aug 2018
how dare you not like what I like? I'm offended!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What's a scene from an anime that you wish you could re-experience for the first time?

bucciest - 6 hours ago

9 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Eiichiro Oda and Toei Animation have been keeping a huge secret.

Gashadokur0 - 31 minutes ago

2 by Gashadokur0 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Lolis

Jackof-allspades - 1 hour ago

4 by Anjuro »»
4 minutes ago

» Imagine you're an anime seiyuu (voice actor). Which character would you want to voice?

Wendoka - 10 hours ago

11 by Vampire_Lord »»
5 minutes ago

» When did the term “Japanimation” started to become “anime” and what was the cause of that? ( 1 2 )

funtime43_tr - May 23

51 by TransferUser »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.