Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Drifting Dragons
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2020 1:03 PM

Dec 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
and just like that it ends with an epic finale. returning the baby dragon back to its pack and looking forward to next dragon hunting adventures

overall the show was mediocre to say the least. it could've been much better animated in 2d, but guess there's nothing you can do now anyways. still greatly prefer the manga look and feel

Jan 12, 2020 8:08 AM

Dec 2017
FF0000 said:
Ummm how and where did you find all 12 episodes of only 1 is out?

the whole batch came out on the premiere day. raws are out, jp subs are out, chinese subs are out, various dubs are already out. the only thing that it taking its time are eng subs, so gotta wait for those a little bit
Feb 10, 2020 11:15 PM

Oct 2017
Takita's reunion was pretty emotional and the parting of the baby dragon was touching. Good to see Takita's back to her normal life.

Overall pretty decent anime, liked some of the characters. I really ship Vannie and Mika, they really suit each other.
Feb 11, 2020 11:29 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Some beautiful scenes for the finale episode, it was good, like the anime overall.
Feb 11, 2020 6:37 PM
Jan 2017
After 12 episodes, Drifting Dragons comes to an end. This was an explosive finale, we got an incredible action setpiece as the drakers step into a full-scale dragon battle and Takita finally finds her resolve to become a draker by ironically, saving a baby dragon and returning it to its pod.

Overall, this was a fine TV show; not great, just fine. I don't hate it, I had a quite a bit of fun watching it and I definitely recommend it, but fair warning, you must be really patient with it. The show ends with the possibility for a second season open, and hopefully, we'll get one sooner rather than later.
Feb 15, 2020 2:00 PM

May 2009
Good series, would be great if it was with hand-drawn animation. But still Polygon improved compared to Sidonia and Ajin.
Feb 27, 2020 5:10 AM

May 2012
Meh. I surprised that this is rated 7.18
It is even worse than Mushikago no Cagaster
Feb 27, 2020 2:07 PM

Dec 2017
thepath said:

wow, really? i pre-dropped cagaster after watching the trailer, it looked much worse than this one
Feb 27, 2020 2:26 PM

May 2012
uninstallthegame said:
thepath said:

wow, really? i pre-dropped cagaster after watching the trailer, it looked much worse than this one

Are you talking about anime visuals/graphics ?? I don't give damn about this.

Cagaster has story, villains, objects etc.

This one just dragons and a orange girl get lost. Boring and noting interesting about it, and very simple story. I'm not big fan of Cagaster, but it was better for me out of the two

7 Seeds is much better than both of these anime. myanimelsit rating are big joke for me. A lot of people just give scores based on animation/visuals or adaptation (for example if anime does not follow manga then it is automatically given bad score by some people even if the anime is entertaining if you judge it alone without comparing to the manga)

thepathFeb 27, 2020 2:31 PM
Feb 28, 2020 8:28 PM

Dec 2015
Not the best thing ever, but definitely underrated. Story is meh, characters are cliched, but I'm really intrigued by the world setting and want to see more of it. 8/10, I might check out the manga.
Mar 3, 2020 9:48 AM
Sep 2015
3D is the only way to go because it'd cost 10 times for 2D for this kind of Ghibli visual.

Overall I'm not sold on this 'eco-hunting', maybe its politcal message is to support whaling by trying to justify the hunting as a 'way of life' for Japanese people.

But what I like is that Jiro is a virgin, and probably Mika too! I can't decide if I want to ship Mika with Jiro or with a big male dragon.
Mar 8, 2020 8:25 PM
Jun 2013
great episode, and I'd have to say it was a pretty good series, 7/10 for me. the animation is what really got me though. the only thing i would have wanted more would be romance, i know something could happen with Mika and Takita or Vannie. overall i enjoy most of the episodes and the different types of dragons they shown lol
Mar 25, 2020 9:25 PM

Nov 2010
Although the show was full of cliche, imitations, forced drama and illogical developments, it was not so bad for killing time. By the way, dragon's meat never seemed delicious and gourmet setting didn't work at all.

3D CG was not good, especially the facial expression was poor: eyes were too big and always open wide.
Apr 10, 2020 3:53 PM

May 2012
Quite liked this series and the last couple of episodes as they were quite intense and very impressive. Really oved the unique traits of the characters and the global setting of hunting dragons with a blimp compared to hunting whales with a ship!

A really lovely last episode as well I must say and all in all a lovely watch!
May 6, 2020 11:52 AM

Dec 2018
Does anyone know where I can find the amazing OSTs? Please!

Edit: Nevermind that was on spotify
Absolute god tier OST
Yugao_May 6, 2020 3:08 PM
May 18, 2020 11:39 AM

Jun 2013
I love steampunk fantasy settings but "What is the plot?" and "Do any of the characters have any goals or ambitions apart from being a dragon hunter till the day they die?" were some of the questions that came to my mind after watching this show halfway. And even towards those question felt unanswered to some extent.

Now the characters are quite likeable but apart from Takita and Jiro the others don't have much development. Mika's unhealthy obsession with eating dragon meat was funny at first but felt boring and redundant as the episodes progressed. Vanabelle never express herself so there is that. It's the author paid more attention on hunting and butchering a dragon rather than the character development.

Overall I feel the show could've been more likeable if the story had an actual plot and the characters were fleshed out.
May 28, 2020 5:13 AM

Jul 2015
One of the worst episoded of the serie, in terms of narrative and argumentation.

It is clear that throughout the series there are many gaps and cliches, but the ending is tremendous. Things can be very little credible. Just a few examples:

--Vannie and Mika fall into the void but are rescued with a rope in the air, which is not fixed to anything, how is it possible?

--They are in the middle of thousands of dragons, some very dangerous, none of them attack or collide? The giant dragon appears, does nothing.

--Takita returns the baby to the herd but, wait, the purple water did not burn? Wasn't burning the giraud rope? Without commenting on how it is possible for Takita to see the head of the command thousands of kilometers away, and then simply submerge, find her and return the baby. Everything very fast, for no reason, poorly executed.

The only reason I liked this episode is because the wonderful dragons that appear, being the last and biggest just amazing. With a head that looks like a human skeleton and lots of teeth, it's reminiscent of a Hollow from Bleach. Too bad that nothing was taken of it, that creature deserved a couple of episodes.
Aug 2, 2020 7:27 PM
Mar 2016
thepath said:
uninstallthegame said:

This one just dragons and a orange girl get lost. Boring and noting interesting about it, and very simple story. I'm not big fan of Cagaster, but it was better for me out of the two

7 Seeds is much better than both of these anime. myanimelsit rating are big joke for me. A lot of people just give scores based on animation/visuals or adaptation (for example if anime does not follow manga then it is automatically given bad score by some people even if the anime is entertaining if you judge it alone without comparing to the manga)

7 Seeds was pretty bad. Way too many pacing/plot issues for me. Out of all of them, I definitely liked Cagaster the most. It had the most compelling story.
Aug 2, 2020 7:32 PM
Mar 2016
Belsel said:
One of the worst episoded of the serie, in terms of narrative and argumentation.

It is clear that throughout the series there are many gaps and cliches, but the ending is tremendous. Things can be very little credible. Just a few examples:

--Vannie and Mika fall into the void but are rescued with a rope in the air, which is not fixed to anything, how is it possible?

--They are in the middle of thousands of dragons, some very dangerous, none of them attack or collide? The giant dragon appears, does nothing.

--Takita returns the baby to the herd but, wait, the purple water did not burn? Wasn't burning the giraud rope? Without commenting on how it is possible for Takita to see the head of the command thousands of kilometers away, and then simply submerge, find her and return the baby. Everything very fast, for no reason, poorly executed.

The only reason I liked this episode is because the wonderful dragons that appear, being the last and biggest just amazing. With a head that looks like a human skeleton and lots of teeth, it's reminiscent of a Hollow from Bleach. Too bad that nothing was taken of it, that creature deserved a couple of episodes.

- Rope was attached to the harpoon gun. That's how harpoons work. Throw it out and reel back.

- The dragons were clearly more focused on feeding. Think of the ship as a giant fishing lure. Fish just don't ram into it.

- I'm pretty sure it was the dragon's venom that was burning the rope. The whole ship was in the purple sphere at one point. My concern is how they didn't bump into the queen back then if she was that big, but I assume it's just difficulty scaling the image on the part of the artists.
Aug 4, 2020 7:52 AM

Jul 2015
Darkdaxter said:
Belsel said:

- Rope was attached to the harpoon gun. That's how harpoons work. Throw it out and reel back.

- The dragons were clearly more focused on feeding. Think of the ship as a giant fishing lure. Fish just don't ram into it.

- I'm pretty sure it was the dragon's venom that was burning the rope. The whole ship was in the purple sphere at one point. My concern is how they didn't bump into the queen back then if she was that big, but I assume it's just difficulty scaling the image on the part of the artists.

-- The rope was not attached to the harpoon gun, look at 17:35 min (aprox). The man shoots the harpon, but if you look closely, the rope is no longer attached to the weapon, so...there is nothing to reel back XD the rope is lost in the air and is not attached to anything anymore.

-- Ok, I get it, but some dragon might have gotten a little interested in "the lure" or gotten closer to "smelling it". If they are focused on food, some might have "wrongly" become interested in the lure thinking that it could be food. Anyway, when the giant dragon is attacked, it could have taken some small retaliation.

-- I checked again about the burning rope. It is in episode 10, at 8:50 min (approx). I have already realized why it burned the rope, I thought it was for some substance of which the purple sphere is composed, but no ... XD the rope simply burns because it is passing at a high speed between the hands and then the character complains about it XD
BelselAug 4, 2020 7:58 AM
Aug 24, 2020 4:28 AM

Jul 2015
Farewell little dragon, may you live a healthy life and die of old age instead of being hunted and eaten by some crude draker *cough* Mika *cough*.
Pretty good sorta slice-of-life adventure on dragon hunting. Kinda wished they went into more depth on the characters (since Giraud and somewhat Takita felt like the only ones properly developed) and doing some more with the dragons (sorta like hese last few episodes or specific hunting methods or something).

Sep 24, 2020 5:56 PM

Jul 2012
Mika was definitely the worst character in the show for me most of the time with his annoying obsession for eating dragon food. Not too bad at first but too overused, he had his moments but seriously annoyed me 90% of the time ngl.. not too much to say about anyone else sadly, they were ok.

I'm just glad the second half of the show caught my attention much more. It was a struggle to get through those first episodes but I managed to binge the last 6.

Definitely could have done a lot more but the setting itself was interesting I would have liked to know a bit more about it.
I'm fine with the CG, there are much worse shows out there and this had some really great imagerie. Polygon does it just fine but well, when it comes to this type of animation prefference matters a lot.

Overall turned into a decent show I think. Had it 5/10 for most of the time but these last mini arcs managed to rise it to a 6/10. Surprised me tbh
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Sep 27, 2020 6:47 AM

Sep 2018
This last episode while not special in some ways, because in the end it narrated another chapter in the life of the protagonists and their profession, has the advantage of having better outlined the character of Takita on a purely psychological level and to close the circle giving space not only to the relationship between hunter and hunted, but that between living beings. An anime series started to pass the time, as already said in the past, which however has been able to keep me company until the end without ever getting bored for all the time of its vision, who knows if there will ever be a second season, I would watch it with pleasure after all even if I don't like the CG I appreciated the characters and the story as it was told. However I must warn the possible users here on MAL who would like to see this anime series, not to expect much in terms of the overall growth of the cast and not to have any hope of having a very articulated story, in fact it will offer very few opportunities for development, and it will be very focused on a slice of life. For now I have only given a quick view to this TV series, in the future I will review it and study the various episodes with much more attention, to give more pertinent comments.

For now my vote is 7/10
Jan 30, 2021 4:55 PM

Feb 2012
I surprisingly liked this one especially the world setting.
Can't complain about the characters and their bond aswell despite some cliché.
Overall a solid 7/10 for me

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

Mar 31, 2021 11:51 AM
Jul 2018
That was good show overall. Backgrounds and soundtrack was solid. CG felt weak, especially considering Dorohedoro came out the same season and Beastars came out a season before, still looks like Polygon's best output. 7/10
Sep 8, 2021 4:00 AM
Aug 2017
thepath said:
uninstallthegame said:

I quite liked drifting dragons, it wasn't a master piece but for what it was I would put it at a firm 6.5 if I had the option. It's definitely not your standard shounen action adventure, well since it is label'd as seinen for one thing. But as a leisurely watch for something akin to a slice-of-life fantasy this show definitely satisfies. And it has what I enjoy in my slice of life shows, stories of people who are just trying their best. Japanese story telling doesn't rely on the western style of writing with the hero's journey or rising/falling climax or having the need to blame all of the tragedy in the world on some 'evil' entity. I've gone bored of repeated plots like those...
...so basically the tl:dr : Drifting dragons was a breath of fresh air from tired old evil vs good troupes.
Nov 4, 2021 4:09 AM
Jan 2020
This felt abrupt tbh.. I was expecting this to leave in a cliffhanger, the amount of potential this arc could've had.

I think I'll check the manga. I'll give this a 7/10, on how this is probably the best looking show by Polygon Picture for now. Well... Souten no Ken was kind of a disaster and Levius didn't get the adaptation it deserves
Jan 27, 2023 2:16 AM

Sep 2018
I enjoyed that, and it looked a lot better than what I anticipated.

Some gorgeous backgrounds and CGI work at times, especially the dragons. Obviously compared to the whaling industry, but doesn't really romanticize the life style, like some people say it does.

It's simply a story of a ship and it's sailors living their life, which just so happens to be hunting dragons. Gourmet, slice of life and a bit of action, fun little series overall. Never gets morally ambiguous, although a couple of characters show ambivalence at times. 8/10.
Oct 6, 2023 4:56 PM

Jun 2019
My 246th series completed chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 6/10 rating.
Apr 18, 1:54 AM

Nov 2012
horrendous anime.
none of the characters are charming or endearing, they're not relatable or to be revered in any way. The main characters personality is just "I want to kill and eat dragons, all the time both of these things, I think of nothing else". So lazy in how it addresses the morality of what they're doing too, but it still wants you to root for them.
It's actually among the worst anime I've ever seen I think, I would've dropped midway if it wasn't on netflix.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
May 7, 2:40 AM

Nov 2019
What was the point? The story felt so awry so the characters were left with the job of making this series interesting. The flashbacks stopped after episode 10 and none of the thrills of adventuring were provoked after the initial 6 episode. This episode managed to recover with the visuals but nothing else, it lacked a lot of substance.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuutei Dragons Episode 11 Discussion

uninstallthegame - Jan 9, 2020

10 by ST63LTH »»
May 7, 2:01 AM

Poll: » Kuutei Dragons Episode 9 Discussion

11 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Kuutei Dragons Episode 8 Discussion

9 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 6:43 PM

Poll: » Kuutei Dragons Episode 7 Discussion

10 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Kuutei Dragons Episode 6 Discussion

10 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 6:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.