Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 14, 2019 4:32 PM

Feb 2019
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode 20 on Crunchy Roll
Nov 14, 2019 6:09 PM

Mar 2016
maybe the next empire episode will reveal more of reinhard's thought process but for now it seems as if he just ok'd the nuking from a few sentences spoken by oberstein and wasn't too shaken by it. the ova gave more lines and had reinhard saying that he'll delay the decision to the last minute while being tricked as to how much time he had, and the novels gave a stronger reaction from reinhard to the nukings themselves, so hopefully we'll see something a bit more substantial soon since all this episode gives is the impression that reinhard is some callous opportunist who barely even tries to look considerate.
this episode by itself should've had more. even something as small as reinhard saying "take a seat oberstein, you haven't convinced me yet" at the end to indicate more discussion would've gone a long way.

also wtf no "if only kircheis were here," did they omit that line on purpose
Aure0linNov 16, 2019 2:50 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Nov 14, 2019 8:04 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Oberstein is such a well-written character, he really wants Reinhard to grow as an individual without relying on anybody else, like a true Monarch.

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Nov 14, 2019 10:05 PM

Jun 2013
This episode managed to compress what is already a very fast-paced episode in the OVA, just to incorporate the Westerland Massacre (which in the OVA took place in the subsequent episode instead). And I have to say the result is less than satisfactory, because it cuts away Reinhard's attempts to reason with Oberstein. Of course, they are probably saving that scene for the next Empire-centred episode, but by that time it won't have the same impact than if it was aired together in the same episode.
Nov 14, 2019 10:22 PM
Mar 2015
"The peasants are revolting
'They certainly are "
In the end Reinhard could have prevented the tragedy and did not
Nov 15, 2019 2:03 AM

Dec 2015
Ah yes this episode

#ObersteinDidNothingWrong

On a side note, I still found Annerose (and to some extent, Reinhard) eyelashes(?) looks weird until this day
Nov 15, 2019 2:38 AM

Apr 2010
landofthekwt said:
'They certainly are "

I think strategically if he saved them, it would have more impact, so it feels kinda stupid.

Nov 15, 2019 5:13 AM

Mar 2013
Oberstein is a sociopath am I right?? but I think it's a small price to pay for good of the galaxy
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Nov 15, 2019 6:02 AM

Nov 2016
I'm kinda surprised that Reinhard went along with Oberstein's suggestion without putting up much of a counterargument.

EfiChan said:
landofthekwt said:
'They certainly are "

I think strategically if he saved them, it would have more impact, so it feels kinda stupid.

Exactly, instead of just exposing the sick side of Braunschweig and his fraction he could've improved his own standing too.

Well, It's a twisted situation to be in and I have to digest this whole incident first and see what the next episodes and aftermath have in store. Great episode again, tho.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 15, 2019 6:45 AM

Mar 2015
Yeah, can't argue that scene with Reinhardt and Oberstein was too short/quick...

And yes, maybe from pure logic it seems right to sacrifice some people to save everyone else, but is it in reality? We will never know how things might've turned out, the only thing we sure of is that it will haunt Reinhardt his whole life...

And for what it's worth world itself is not driven only by logic and calculations. Huh, caught myself trying to repeat Tanya's speech, from the last episode of 1st season of Youjo Senki (aka The Saga of Tanya the Evil), when she tried to reason with another specimen of a 'man of logic' that his logic might not work simply because its not the only thing that drives people, or sometimes there's no logic at all...
Nov 15, 2019 9:00 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Aure0lin said:
maybe the next empire episode will reveal more of reinhard's thought process but for now it seems as if he just ok'd the nuking from a few sentences spoken by oberstein and wasn't too shaken by it. the ova gave more lines and had reinhard saying that he'll delay the decision to the last minute while being tricked as to how much time he had, and the novels gave a stronger reaction from reinhard to the nukings themselves, so hopefully we'll see something a bit more substantial soon.
still, this episode by itself could've had more. even something as small as reinhard saying "take a seat oberstein, you haven't convinced me yet" to indicate that there would be more discussion would've gone a long way.

Yeah, that was an interesting omission. They're playing that down perhaps? Or maybe they handle it differently in the episodes to come.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 15, 2019 9:55 AM

Jul 2015
The pacing is too fast. It feels like a recap episode.

Nov 15, 2019 12:42 PM

Feb 2019
The way they left that scene between Oberstein and Reinhardt, zoomed in on Reinhardt's reaction to Oberstein's suggestion, makes me think there is more of that scene to come. If that is true then I think it will have less of an impact over the original. If that is not the case, if we do not get much of anything else that would actually be worse.
Aure0lin said:
The lack of inclusion of this line, or at least something similar, threw me off too.

The episode was certainly more condensed than the OVA though I am not really complaining.

This adaption has great source material, which has yet to be horribly butchered, and the visual update was sorely needed.
Nov 16, 2019 1:20 AM
Apr 2016
Where is my Fahrenheit??? :(

Well, it feels like a recap of episode 22-23 OVA version that lack of surprise like Merkatz's help for Braunschweig. Also, I think that Modell's design in OVA version is better than this remake.
Hope Kircheis get more line in his debate with Reinhard after Coalition defeated.
Bambang_Tri_WNov 16, 2019 1:25 AM
Nov 16, 2019 6:36 AM
Jun 2016
AdrianRubinsky said:
The pacing is too fast. It feels like a recap episode.

I completely agree with you. The pacing for this particular episode was just too fast.
Nov 16, 2019 7:11 AM

May 2014
If Reinhard had stopped the missiles, it would have been more difficult to demonstrate to the people of the Empire that Braunschweig launched them in the first place. Now that the planet's population was annihilated, everyone can see it for themselves. Otherwise, many people might think that Reinhard fabricated the whole thing. And the footage of mushroom clouds catches people's attention better anyway.
TheDeedsOfMenNov 16, 2019 7:19 AM
Nov 16, 2019 9:11 AM

Sep 2014
Great episode, action was good and pacing felt great. The new adaption really matured, still dislike some character designs.

Kircheis continues to be the bestes of boys.

And the Westerland incident happened. I think they should have given it a bit more focus, time for Reinhard to overthink it as its a very impactfull decision. But they will certainly explore it in the next episodes and I guess they wanted to finish this now.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 16, 2019 9:20 AM

Nov 2018
The one thing I liked better in this episode compared to the OVA is the visuals (just like the rest of DNT as well), they did a much better job of animating the nukes and their explosions, which looked like actual explosions and not just plain balls of white light.

This episode does feel a bit fast, just like what a few people are saying, but I guess that time flies when you're enjoying the show, and that the re-adaptation is closer to the novels which have a lot more info that isn't able to be adapted into a 24-minute episode

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Nov 16, 2019 10:34 AM

Dec 2015
Close to the novel but very fast paced at some important points. The battle vs. Littenheim was over pretty fast. Had a bit more explanation in the novel. Then again here we had a bit more explanation for the explosion in the anime. (Guards shooting the guy that dropped the body while there were Seffle particles. That wasn't explained in the novel I think. Just switched back to Kircheis where they noticed the explosion and it could have been the guards guards bombing Littenheim instead of helping to shoot the other guy. :D)

Battle Reuenthal/Mittermeyer vs. Merkatz was a bit fast as well. (The novel explained their thoughts and how it wouldn't be that bad since it helps Reinhard when he can prove his superir abilities while making up for the failures of his subordinates and striking back later taking the sector back from Merkatz.)

Fahrenheit was there in the novel ... expecting a trap - when Mittermeyer baited the nobles. This was explained a bit better. Here we saw Reinhard's speech and Mittermeyer retreating. Novel explained it a bit more in detail. They really thought they were stronger cause he acted incompetent (with the goal to lure out Braunschweig).

Ansbach didn't mention the thing that got him arrested directly to Braunschweig - but somewhere else where an "informant" gave the info to Braunschweig leading to the arrest. This was better here in the anime to have it directly. Shorter and easier to explain.

The thought process (inner monologue and stuff) about the nuclear strike ... was really a bit short. Weakest part so far - since this was important to the char development. Maybe they'll bring this later - when we have more scenes with Kircheis and Reinhard. Could have explained better that the fact that the camera drones recording the video were placed carefully was an indication that Reinhard knew about the attack. (It was explained that the video was proof. In the novel the explanation was that you'd need good placement - and therefore information beforehand ... not just some random camera accidentally filming.)
Nov 16, 2019 1:30 PM

Feb 2008
The beautiful lights...

Nobles were as disgusting as they were in the OVA, but the nuking itself had some more visual impact. Merkatz's words had just as much weight as they did decades ago.
Nov 17, 2019 6:07 AM

Jun 2017
Damn, that planet turned into a fireworks display alright, but Oberstein's reasoning was factual, because, the death of those people weighs more rather than if they saved them. Meaning, it would've been less shocking if they were saved because "We saved them from attempted massacre from their lord" is not as cruel as the footage shown. It worked right, the people were shocked, I would argue that people of the empire would've just said "Oh that's good" or reacted in a similar manner if those people were saved. But with all that said, knowing that they could've saved all those people and then decided to do nothing was cruel.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Jan 4, 2020 5:31 AM

Dec 2013
I feel bad for Merkatz for having to work with the nobles.

Damn he actually let them kill all those civilians. Oberstein's argument made sense but it was still extremely cold. Let’s see what will happen when Kircheis next sees Reinhard.
Jan 27, 2020 2:11 AM

Jul 2012
That was truly depressing. Surprised this ended off at a cliffhanger. Makes me wanna watch the next episode ASAP.
Feb 13, 2020 3:25 AM

Jun 2009
Mar 1, 2020 11:01 AM

Apr 2009
Luthandorius said:
Close to the novel but very fast paced at some important points. The battle vs. Littenheim was over pretty fast. Had a bit more explanation in the novel. Then again here we had a bit more explanation for the explosion in the anime. (Guards shooting the guy that dropped the body while there were Seffle particles. That wasn't explained in the novel I think. Just switched back to Kircheis where they noticed the explosion and it could have been the guards guards bombing Littenheim instead of helping to shoot the other guy. :D)

Battle Reuenthal/Mittermeyer vs. Merkatz was a bit fast as well. (The novel explained their thoughts and how it wouldn't be that bad since it helps Reinhard when he can prove his superir abilities while making up for the failures of his subordinates and striking back later taking the sector back from Merkatz.)

Fahrenheit was there in the novel ... expecting a trap - when Mittermeyer baited the nobles. This was explained a bit better. Here we saw Reinhard's speech and Mittermeyer retreating. Novel explained it a bit more in detail. They really thought they were stronger cause he acted incompetent (with the goal to lure out Braunschweig).

Ansbach didn't mention the thing that got him arrested directly to Braunschweig - but somewhere else where an "informant" gave the info to Braunschweig leading to the arrest. This was better here in the anime to have it directly. Shorter and easier to explain.

The thought process (inner monologue and stuff) about the nuclear strike ... was really a bit short. Weakest part so far - since this was important to the char development. Maybe they'll bring this later - when we have more scenes with Kircheis and Reinhard. Could have explained better that the fact that the camera drones recording the video were placed carefully was an indication that Reinhard knew about the attack. (It was explained that the video was proof. In the novel the explanation was that you'd need good placement - and therefore information beforehand ... not just some random camera accidentally filming.)

I have a question, since you've read the novels. In the original OVA Reinhard was clearly tricked and he wanted to wait till the last minute to decide whether to let the nuking happen. But in these movie series we don't get to see all that. Was Reinhard tricked in the novel too, or did he agree to Obersteins idea as this new adaption is apparently telling us?
Mar 1, 2020 11:32 AM

Dec 2015
If I remember correctly he didn't like it but he saw Oberstein's point and agreed in the end.
Jan 8, 2021 1:12 AM

Jan 2009
Oberstein is making Reinhard join the dark side lol the end justify the means can be so cruel
Jun 16, 2021 10:24 PM

Jul 2012
Oh dear, that was WAY too fast... Plus, there was a very important part about the nuking and Reinhard's choice that was left out. I hope this is addressed in the next episode.
May 4, 2022 8:31 PM

Aug 2014
These 4 episodes were very enjoyable. Outstanding English dub

But man oh man, this anime still suffers from predictable animation, meaning, the handsome guys/non-ugly guys/calm-looking guys are the noble-respected-smart people who will never coward no matter what,

And on the other hand, the ugly guys/guys with hostile-looking faces, are evil bastards who will coward at the first sign of trouble.

For an anime that prides itself in dealing with transparency, this is an eye-sore
oooo3333May 4, 2022 8:37 PM
May 15, 2022 5:37 PM

Apr 2016
The nukes are thus far the only change to the story I like. In the OVA, Reinhard was indecisive and was contemplating what to do, but Oberstein took the decision away from him. It would have been more impactful if (later events)
So in this show, having Reinhard actually allow it to happen is more interesting.
May 18, 2023 4:24 AM

May 2015
Still not feeling this adaptation. I'm mostly just reminded of the emotions I had while watching the ova, while this anime itself isn't as impactful. The nuanced changes baffle me, and I still don't appreciate the artstyle.
Jul 19, 2023 11:54 PM

Aug 2019
Interesting, so Oberstein allowed the "genocide" to happen in order to show how cruel the nobles are. However, this could have a long-term impact on him.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Seiran 2 Episode 3 Discussion

Aure0lin - Nov 7, 2019

28 by MegamiRem »»
Nov 25, 2023 6:22 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Seiran 2 Episode 2 Discussion

TheCommoner - Oct 31, 2019

25 by Sun_Chan »»
Jul 19, 2023 11:02 PM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Seiran 2 Episode 1 Discussion

TheCommoner - Oct 24, 2019

20 by Sun_Chan »»
Jul 19, 2023 10:30 PM

» It's now a series, not movie

removed-user - Oct 8, 2019

6 by smatos21 »»
Nov 21, 2019 10:46 PM

» PV/Trailer vid

Aure0lin - Oct 7, 2019

0 by Aure0lin »»
Oct 7, 2019 9:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.