Forum Settings
Forums

Does watching sad anime affect your health?

New
Dec 21, 2018 1:43 AM
Mar 2016
Years ago I watched Kanon 2006, and I admit I was crying almost the whole time!
Although it has a good ending, but it didn't wipe out my depression and I felt really empty.. I couldn't eat that day!

I watched School Days too. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I didn't cry but I was so angry, and it did teach me a tough real life lesson.
The thing is, I was depressed and felt sick again!

Now I look for spoilers before watching romance, I look only for Vanilla romance.. man I still feel the sweetness of Ore Monogatari like it's honey in my mouth!
It makes me happy and alive!
It was really strange when I cried in episode 3 because that scene was too sweet, I felt like my heart was melting.. I was like "Aww! Aww!" the whole time!

So what do you think, guys? Is it a matter of taste, or it does affect anyone's health and/or mind.
Of course, you might not be a doctor, but at least you may have a personal experience.

If it has bad side effects, is it a good idea to keep producing unhealthy shows?!
ShaDanDanFeb 4, 2019 1:33 AM
Dec 21, 2018 1:47 AM

Jul 2013
Mental health, perhaps. Depends on the person and quantity of these types of anime watched. Of course, some stronger people probably won't be affected at all (me :D).

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Dec 21, 2018 1:47 AM
Sep 2017
It doesn't affect my health but it does affect my studies, I can't keep my mind off of a sad anime when studying :P
Dec 21, 2018 1:48 AM

Jan 2018
Nah not really, School Days did make me physically angry, though so that's about it. A few deaths have really screwed me up, but nothing more than a show leaving me with a void feeling.
What a beautiful Duwang
Dec 21, 2018 1:49 AM

Nov 2018
I can see that they do you alot and doctor says take moderation. I think you're just easy being emotional. Personally I didn't cry when I finished watching Clannad. It moved my heart though.
Dec 21, 2018 1:50 AM

Jul 2014
I've been emotionally affected by tons of anime. However, I don't think I've ever consumed a piece of media that actually affected my health or mental state. It seems to be a rather inconceivable effect to me. Not that that means it can't happen to you or anyone else. Of course it can.

All that said, if watching these shows is negatively affecting your health then you should probably either take a break or watch something with a totally different feel. You should probably also go see a doctor or therapist.
Dec 21, 2018 2:06 AM
Sep 2017
I know watching bad anime affects my health.
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
Dec 21, 2018 2:12 AM

Feb 2013
sad anime improves health making you more resistent to sadness
Dec 21, 2018 2:43 AM
May 2016
i think it has postively affected my mental health, making me much more compassionate. i can't say for sure, but i think it's changed me for the better. it can also sometimes make me feel pretty sad, empty, and a lot of other emotions, not so sure if those are good or not. it can happen regardless of whether or not it's a 'sad' anime though, i've cried to plenty of cutesy, upbeat and happy shows, like yuyushiki and new game, which can also make me sad. it's not the anime, it's me
ShiroanonDec 21, 2018 4:42 AM
Dec 21, 2018 2:48 AM

Nov 2016
They usually make me cry, that's good for releasing tension and reduces the build up stress, thus they must be good for my health.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 21, 2018 3:06 AM

Oct 2014
If you're inadvertently implying that because anime can elicit specific emotions that it means it COULD be harmful to someone, and that's a bad thing, the problem is the person not the anime. Especially if you're so easily swayed in your mental health.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Dec 21, 2018 3:08 AM
Sep 2018
I get emotional in hype moment's, deaths, endings etc. But nothing has really made me empty for longer than a hour or two after the moment happens, then again I'm not really a emotional or not mentally stable person, I can defiantly see how people get depressed and what not over anime or any media for that fact
Dec 21, 2018 3:08 AM

Dec 2018
No!
Sadness in Animes are just weird.
{Like that mother scene in Attack on Titan.}
I am One Punch Girl!
Nude
Dec 21, 2018 3:12 AM
Jul 2018
It makes me sad and empty for the rest of the day but that's about it.
Dec 21, 2018 3:16 AM

Jun 2016
I already have clinical depression (among other things), so Your Lie In April, Serial Experiments: Lain, White Album 2, etc. don't do wonders for my mental health.
Dec 21, 2018 3:22 AM

Sep 2016
I don't think that it's bad for physical health but for some people it might be bad for their mental health.

I like to break my heart with Anime like your lie in april/clannad/plastic memories and stuff like that, i always end up crying but i like it.
Dec 21, 2018 3:41 AM
Jul 2017
Well, of you are crying and gets a stuffy nose because of that then there are some health benefits. Crying cleanses your eyes of any potentioal foreign objects and keeps them moist (fuck of nine year olds) and a stuffy nose may decrease the risk of any bacterias entering your nose canals and infecting them. And having a runny nose may clean it?
Dec 21, 2018 3:56 AM

Jul 2017
it affects my emotions certainly
in a way it negatively impacts my mental health
so yes but its really subtle
Dec 21, 2018 4:00 AM

Aug 2018
9 Ways Crying May Benefit Your Health.
Thanks for all the help, White Album 2!
Dec 21, 2018 4:28 AM
Nov 2013
Not really, I just feel sad for a couple days at most and it goes away. I was watching The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya again just the other day and it hit me pretty hard, I forgot about it shortly after though. Feels are short-lived for me I guess, I just go about my day and I’m soon to be interested in something else before long.
Dec 21, 2018 4:33 AM

Jan 2016
yes. undirectly.
Lately, i always try to avoid sad anime and drama, because i know that i could get a lonely or unsatisfied feeling which is quite annoying. How? When i got those feelings, i tend to overthink about it- making me cannot concetrate about anything i currently doing, but that's not really the big deal. The big deal is when i try to sleep, i cannot sleep deeply or even cannot sleep at all because i always got thoughts about the anime. Then when i just try to focus on sleeping, i won't sleep. This has happend few times, when i only got 2 hours 'bad' sleep on very busy days. Affecting my health and my life. I think it happen when i've just watched Tari-Tari or whatever that is. That were such a terrible day i've ever experienced.

But either way around, some anime with warm or nostalgic feeling is like a sleeping pills for me.
Dec 21, 2018 4:44 AM

Jun 2017
Well i get depressed a little but the next day i am all good so i dont think it affects my health
Dec 21, 2018 9:03 AM

Jul 2015
There are certain moments in a bunch of series that I still think about, but they don’t affect my health. Just my feelz.
Dec 21, 2018 9:17 AM

Aug 2018
Yes, it does... but after 20 minutes and a sandwich I'm good as new hahaha.

So basically no, I love sad or bittersweet endings (if they are well done) because most of the time the stories they tell are a lot more interesting and well fleshed to me.
Dec 21, 2018 11:31 PM

Aug 2018
I've seen a ton and they don't seem to affect me
Dec 21, 2018 11:35 PM

Nov 2016
yes, watching sad animes makes me want to jump off a bridge

Dec 22, 2018 5:54 PM

Aug 2017
No. I don't think so. Indeed, it makes me so healthy.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 22, 2018 8:37 PM

May 2013
Sad animes that have the capability to make me cry are godsent. They provide a sense of surreal catharsis and boost my mental well-being.

Dec 26, 2018 1:07 PM
Mar 2016
Just finished watching "Tsuki ga Kirei".. and man!
It was so emotional and powerful.
Although it has a happy ending, but the way it was handled is really too emotional.. I lost it, I couldn't handle it!

Now, a day later, I'm still sad and feeling empty.. !
I'm certain now I have a serious problem, I can only watch PURE VANILLA romance without any small amount of drama.

I'm not taking anime too seriously when I watch, but a good story always find its way no matter what!
ShaDanDanFeb 4, 2019 1:42 AM
Dec 26, 2018 1:11 PM

May 2016
Nah, only lack of sleep could do that to me

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
MAL Graph

Dec 26, 2018 1:59 PM

Apr 2017
I don't know, I don't think it particularly affects me mentally nor physically. What I would imagine affects me more is anime that makes me angry due to overuse of stupid stereotypes, but I drop those reasonably fast. They say that laughing affects one's immunity system positively, so maybe watching comedy anime is good for one's health. Watching sad shows wouldn't necessarily have the opposite effect though. But if it makes you depressed then yes, it probably has some negative health impact, since that's what depression does regardless of cause. But it's probably rather negligible unless it's the only thing that one would watch.

Still, I don't see reason to watch something one doesn't like, regardless of any health impact. One should watch anime to enjoy it, and choose genres accordingly. I do enjoy some sad shows myself, some shows specifically because they are sad. But I don't feel negative feelings while watching them, which is important part, imo. I do feel some sadness obviously, but I don't count sadness as negative feeling, unless it's the only thing that person feels. And I do feel plenty of enjoyment too with those. I can enjoy anime of all genres.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Dec 26, 2018 2:02 PM

May 2016
Watching sad anime makes me melancholy, sometimes for a day or two if it was really good.

Dec 30, 2018 11:18 AM

Apr 2010
Maybe, I tend to avoid sad things. But... despite watching sad things in my life... I think I'm fine... even if I took a week where I watched every day the same movie, which has a sad ending. I think after the 5th time, I started crying less.

More topics from this board

» Anime genres that declined in popularity or lost relevance and with time ?

tchitchouan - 7 minutes ago

0 by tchitchouan »»
7 minutes ago

» Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

93 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » How important is sound design in Anime

ST63LTH - Yesterday

12 by TRC_Randy »»
12 minutes ago

» Is Fall 2024 Shoujo/Josei season?! 😲

Dauphine - 2 hours ago

2 by JaniSIr »»
13 minutes ago

» Who would win?

kiyoto99 - 9 hours ago

6 by Pages_Pages »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.