Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 8, 2017 8:53 AM

Apr 2015
Ah yes, another 'term' topic. Hopefully this shuts the masses up for a week or so.

Over my time at MAL, it seems that these terms often get tossed around. But what do these terms mean, and when is an accurate time to use them? Well Ladies, Gentlemen, and Pedophiles, allow me to give a general explanation:

The tricky part is where the lines blur. Like a graph set on the X and Y planes, Casual and Elitists are opposite of each other much like beginner and veterans are also opposites of each other. However, it would be possible for two non-opposing categories to overlap.

An example of a Casual Beginner would be a person who has recently discovered anime through the likes of DBZ, Seven Deadly Sins, SAO, etc. They find the medium 'fun' in some way, but are unlikely to begin any active pursuit of the medium.
An example of an Elitist Beginner would be someone who fully believes that what little they have seen thus far is the best, and are unwilling to explore further. For instance, diehard fans of the Big 3 who never attempted to progress farther into the medium.
An example of a Casual veteran, while extremely rare, would likely be someone who has watched anime off and on over a long period of time. Maybe in the past, they watched Speedracer, the Robotech version of Macross, DBZ, and will occasionally watch anime with their kids today. They likely don't even realize some of these shows are anime.
An Elitist veteran would be the likes of someone who has seen several hundred titles, but has a disproportionately high amount of low-rated titles and is very insistent on 'proving' that creativity in anime is dead and uses his strikingly low MAL scores to 'prove' this point.

Naturally, not everyone is going to fall into an absolutely category or category hybrid. And just because someone disagrees with your opinions does not make you, or them, an elitist. And just because someone is fresh to the medium doesn't make them a "Filthy fucking casual".

Thank you for letting me waste your time.

Sincerely: Mutated Elitist.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Feb 8, 2017 8:59 AM

Jan 2017
Not sure if your are ignorant or just trolling.
Insert deep quote here
Feb 8, 2017 9:02 AM

Feb 2016
cool story bro this post greatly expanded my mental capacity
Feb 8, 2017 9:05 AM

Oct 2013
@InsaneLeader13 I appreciate all the effort you went in with to make this post
typing all of that must of been time consuming as hell after all
Feb 8, 2017 9:06 AM

Jul 2013
I don't get it why you need to categorize anime watchers. It doesn't really matter imo.
Feb 8, 2017 9:07 AM

Jan 2016
I am enlightened. Thank you very much Mutated Elitist.

Lines
Feb 8, 2017 9:10 AM

Feb 2013
Anneli said:
I don't get it why you need to categorize anime watchers. It doesn't really matter imo.
ah i see a pseudocasual quasiveteran intp aquarius type 4w5
how typical ;ddd
Feb 8, 2017 9:11 AM

Feb 2010
InsaneLeader13 said:
Ah yes, another 'term' topic. Hopefully this shuts the masses up for a week or so.

Over my time at MAL, it seems that these terms often get tossed around. But what do these terms mean, and when is an accurate time to use them? Well Ladies, Gentlemen, and Pedophiles, allow me to give a general explanation:

The tricky part is where the lines blur. Like a graph set on the X and Y planes, Casual and Elitists are opposite of each other much like beginner and veterans are also opposites of each other. However, it would be possible for two non-opposing categories to overlap.

An example of a Casual Beginner would be a person who has recently discovered anime through the likes of DBZ, Seven Deadly Sins, SAO, etc. They find the medium 'fun' in some way, but are unlikely to begin any active pursuit of the medium.
An example of an Elitist Beginner would be someone who fully believes that what little they have seen thus far is the best, and are unwilling to explore further. For instance, diehard fans of the Big 3 who never attempted to progress farther into the medium.
An example of a Casual veteran, while extremely rare, would likely be someone who has watched anime off and on over a long period of time. Maybe in the past, they watched Speedracer, the Robotech version of Macross, DBZ, and will occasionally watch anime with their kids today. They likely don't even realize some of these shows are anime.
An Elitist veteran would be the likes of someone who has seen several hundred titles, but has a disproportionately high amount of low-rated titles and is very insistent on 'proving' that creativity in anime is dead and uses his strikingly low MAL scores to 'prove' this point.

Naturally, not everyone is going to fall into an absolutely category or category hybrid. And just because someone disagrees with your opinions does not make you, or them, an elitist. And just because someone is fresh to the medium doesn't make them a "Filthy fucking casual".

Thank you for letting me waste your time.

Sincerely: Mutated Elitist.

Brother, you are one of the good ones.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 8, 2017 9:48 AM
Jul 2018
Why is the anime community so obsessed with collectivism? Why should I give a shit if you're a 'casual' or a 'veteran'?
Feb 8, 2017 9:52 AM

Apr 2013
HikariJake said:
Why is the anime community so obsessed with collectivism?
Maybe 'cause weebs don't fit into any real collective and these made up categorical ones give them that much needed sense of identity.
Feb 8, 2017 10:03 AM

May 2014
I don't understand the whole labelling thing, especially when half the time the labels are used as insults or slurs.
It sounds pretty silly to me, I mean who even wants to label themselves as a "veteran" at watching anime?

I've seen a lot of anime, but I'd feel ridiculous calling myself a veteran...I just feel like that term should be reserved for the achievement of some astounding feat or special skill, I guess XD

The exception ofc would be if you're using the terms ironically...in which case, I kinda get it...but jokes about casuals, elitists and weebs got old time ago.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 8, 2017 10:06 AM

Feb 2010
Strawberrycake48 said:
I don't understand the whole labelling thing, especially when half the time the labels are used as insults or slurs.
It sounds pretty silly to me, I mean who even wants to label themselves as a "veteran" at watching anime?

I've seen a lot of anime, but I'd feel ridiculous calling myself a veteran...I just feel like that term should be reserved for the achievement of some astounding feat or special skill, I guess XD

They use the term for war cripples so it's not really that special. It just means you experienced something, a lot. It's not really a braggy term at all, but rather pretty neutral if you ask me. Easily the least offensive label out of the 4 that were discussed imo. It's like the only one I would not mind being called.
Feb 8, 2017 10:33 AM

Feb 2016
Omg, why do we need to categorize anime watchers, were all equal living human beans and should treat each other with respect!!1!1
We all love <3anime<3 and thats all that counts, right??

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 8, 2017 10:35 AM

Apr 2015
@Goldfischglas
Trolling, but sincere enough that it would help those who need it.

@Deknijff
Not nearly as hard as you'd think.

@Anneli @hnnmilam
So it is easier to round up the ones you don't like into the Concentration Camps. *Smirk*

@Pullman
I'm actually one of the worst ones, considering that the secondary goal of this post was to get a flame war going.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Feb 8, 2017 10:43 AM

Feb 2010
InsaneLeader13 said:
@Goldfischglas
Trolling, but sincere enough that it would help those who need it.

@Deknijff
Not nearly as hard as you'd think.

@Anneli @hnnmilam
So it is easier to round up the ones you don't like into the Concentration Camps. *Smirk*

@Pullman
I'm actually one of the worst ones, considering that the secondary goal of this post was to get a flame war going.

If that's the case, considering 16 posts in 2 hours, this is indeed one of the worst attempts are creating a flame war ^^. You can do better than that.
But hey, I had fun reading your OP and not many people would write that much for pretty much any purpose so that alone gets you a thumbs up from me. More walls of text are always appreciated.
Feb 8, 2017 10:47 AM

Dec 2012
I think most people here would be Veterans , I am not sure why ...

Feb 8, 2017 10:49 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
awe man do these threads never stop

@sasalx.. you know what to do
Feb 8, 2017 11:28 AM

Nov 2009
Strawberrycake48 said:

The exception ofc would be if you're using the terms ironically...in which case, I kinda get it...but jokes about casuals, elitists and weebs got old time ago.

Well, I often describe myself as "veteran" when I want to describe myself as an anime watcher.
I've been watching it for a very long time, and I have seen quite a lot, both highs and lows of it. And it's taking a toll on me. I often find myself skipping an anime saying "I've seen something like that just last season". I often find myself rejoicing at an anime just for it being unique. I often find myself arguing the merits of some anime while other people are metaphorically running away, because my views of morality were completely eroded.
Maybe I'm just growing old.

InsaneLeader13 said:

Casual-Elitist dichotomy:
A) I understand my tastes well. I'd like to think I'm not pushing them on others, but I really dislike being pushed around on this ground. - elitist?
B) Well, maybe I don't know everything, but there are very few people who can teach me new things on these forums. I always appreciate it when they do. - neutral.
C) I take other people's recommendations, and put them in my never-ending "plan to watch" list. Will I ever see all the anime that should be watched? I think not. - neutral.
D) I'm not willing to find wrong things with a show. I prefer finding good things. The glass is half full. - casual!

In short, it's easy to fall in-between on this dichotomy.
Feb 8, 2017 12:19 PM

Jul 2014
Yeh I'm an elitist, conform to my taste dammit!
Feb 8, 2017 12:26 PM

Mar 2014
Why are there so many threads on this. Why are there levels to watching anime.
Feb 8, 2017 1:16 PM

Jul 2012
Can't say I'm a fan of the example for casual veteran. Just because all of the other variations tend to have some distinct measurement or behavioral pattern that can be relatively noticed with ease.
Like I assume a person who has watched anime over a period of many years at some point would be able to recognize series as anime even with minimal knowledge of the medium.
That and if we were to say it is a variant of veteran then compared to elitist veterans they should have disproportionately high amounts of high rated titles and be very optimistic about the medium.
Feb 8, 2017 1:39 PM
Aug 2016
Those threads are like plague.
Are people really that lazy and can't think of more interesting topic? :(
Feb 8, 2017 4:51 PM

Sep 2012
But where is the most important one?

But there is also one group who like to bitch about others preferences. Oh wait.
Feb 8, 2017 4:53 PM
Feb 2014
>still caring about what type of anime fan people are
>Current Year
>5 years after SAO aired

Feb 8, 2017 4:57 PM

Apr 2016
Great explanation, though i don't really care much about their debate over trival matters, but good to know how people "rate" other users LOL.
Feb 8, 2017 5:10 PM

Feb 2009
Wow, that was very helpfull. Not that I use those terms, but I see them so much around here that I was about to ask their meaning on a random topic. XD
Feb 8, 2017 5:20 PM

Feb 2015
>Ah yes, another 'term' topic. Hopefully this shuts the masses up for a week or so.

more like will keep it fanning the threads about elitist and casuals more...

InsaneLeader13 said:

Naturally, not everyone is going to fall into an absolutely category or category hybrid. And just because someone disagrees with your opinions does not make you, or them, an elitist..

Well, well, I guess you say that too...

Deknijff said:
@InsaneLeader13 I appreciate all the effort you went in with to make this post
typing all of that must of been time consuming as hell after all

Lol... I guess, it would just take ppl roughly about 30 mins or so.
_Ako_Feb 8, 2017 5:24 PM
Feb 8, 2017 5:38 PM
Jul 2018
You are making things complicated.Not many people can understand all these so why don't you simplify these? For example:
Animefan:- who likes most anime and have mean score 8+

Animefriend:-who likes and care anime,and give critics to most anime with reasoning.

By the way, I am noticing that users are ran out of their ideas and creating new thread with TRICKY synonyms!
Feb 8, 2017 11:19 PM

Jan 2014
Anneli said:

I don't too, but it seems that it's needed.
Everybody wants to be special, in this case have a rank, the higher ''rank'' you are the more respected you are, or so it seems to be.
that is my assumption.
am i wrong or right?
Feb 8, 2017 11:23 PM

Mar 2016
I want to relate them all in one medium..

Feb 8, 2017 11:27 PM

Jul 2016
See some weakness in your category. What if the user don't remember what did they have watch? or just lazy or tired to put them in their list? or some user don't just update their list?
Feb 8, 2017 11:56 PM

May 2009
Say, @InsaneLeader13, how about we actually run a little test of your classification system.

With me.

Which category or categories would you say I fall into?

* Feel free to look at my profile and anime lists. I've not seen a number of famous long-runners or frequently-recommended series, but I have seen an assortment of things that I find interesting. Curiously, I find myself able to recall important points from most of them. I watch rather slowly, at most a few episodes a day, and irregularly, and sometimes going weeks without watching anything. I pretty much watch only when I can think up a specific series I want to watch -- to me, it's basically never about "watching anime" as a general activity.
* Regarding my tastes/preferences: I have identified that they tend to be fantasy and sci-fi settings, drama storylines, shows with prominent accompanying music, and shows that inspire interesting and/or intense emotions. Is this sufficiently specific or not? Feel free to also comment on whether this assessment seems true based on my lists, if you wish.
* I do not believe I know everything noteworthy about a medium, rather I tend to be curious about trends, even though I rarely participate in them.
* I choose what to watch for sometimes arbitrary and unpredictable reasons, which may include such reasons as "I just want a show that has an RPG adventuring party", "the cover looked cool", "the main character looks attractive", "the theme song is awesome", and "I saw it in an AMV and it inspired me to watch it".
* I don't follow currently-airing shows, nor do I pay much attention to recommendations from others, except when they stem from shows that I've already seen and liked.
* I am...well, put it this way: I'm willing to overlook the purported "flaws" in a storytelling experience, if doing so enhances my own enjoyment of it. For example, after watching something that I overall enjoyed but didn't like parts of, the parts I did enjoy come to mind far more easily. You can remind me that there were parts I didn't enjoy, but I don't care to dwell on them if my overall experience was positive.
* I enjoy being able to watch something with isolation from a social scene shaping my opinion. (Alternatively, I don't like dealing with other people telling me what to think of something.) Though ironically I sometimes end up arguing with people about it after I watch it, if I happen to have formed a different opinion.
* I used to rate things but lately I've stopped since I'm not really sure what I want to use the ratings for.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 8, 2017 11:57 PM
Jan 2017
DeplorableNico said:
>still caring about what type of anime fan people are
>Current Year
>5 years after SAO aired

We need to know what animu types everyone is so we can add them to our pokedex.

I just added a new Love Liver type. Thank you! :)
Feb 9, 2017 12:19 AM

Nov 2009
JopaFish said:
Anneli said:

Everybody wants to be special, in this case have a rank, the higher ''rank'' you are the more respected you are, or so it seems to be.
that is my assumption.
am i wrong or right?

1) Rank does not matter much. Specialness is worth a lot more.
2) Sometimes things become easier when you classify people.
Feb 9, 2017 12:44 AM
Jan 2017
flannan said:
JopaFish said:

that is my assumption.
am i wrong or right?

1) Rank does not matter much. Specialness is worth a lot more.
2) Sometimes things become easier when you classify people.

there is no rank, just types. like ecchi types are weak to normie types, normie types are weak to casuals, casuals are weak to elitists, etc.
Feb 9, 2017 2:13 AM

Sep 2015
I guess I;d consider myself a causal, I don't really know
Feb 9, 2017 2:25 AM

Aug 2008
Elitist=people who think they are superior because of taste in anime
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Feb 9, 2017 1:21 PM

Jun 2016
I'm not sure to take this seriously or not but it was an interesting read anyway. I guess by this line up makes me an anime veteran.
Feb 9, 2017 2:01 PM

Oct 2014
always nice to have analitical essays explaining the terms we use in anime discussions
i will take lots of notes out of this to make sure i do not use this terms wrongly again
Feb 9, 2017 2:04 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Imo, these titles mean nothing, no matter how you categorize them. We all have different tastes but we're no different than anyone who would relatively be new to anime in the 1st place.

Threads like these make me smh sometimes tbh.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7213 by AnimonyListano »»
3 seconds ago

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts?

Thy-Veseveia - 8 hours ago

15 by pk8list »»
6 minutes ago

» What is the superior Anime format? TV, Film, OVA, ONA, Shorts?

Dragevard - 9 hours ago

14 by Zarutaku »»
12 minutes ago

» ➢Is there an anime that you liked when you first watched it, but hate it when you look back?

Gashadokur0 - 9 hours ago

12 by kvandrada »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Best part of Fate Franchise?

Diamtheroad - Yesterday

26 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.