Forum Settings
Forums

Has a "Kids" Anime ever truly impressed you?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 2, 2015 8:00 AM

Aug 2015
Yes, it impressed me when I was a child tho xD. These days I can't laugh about it anymore or take it seriously. But that doesn't mean I think they are bad or good either. I'm a bit neutral on this topic.

Oct 2, 2015 8:32 AM
Jun 2015
The way they handled one of the side characters darker conflicts in the final arc in Digimon Tamers was pretty impressive for a low budget toy advertising kids show. The show as a whole though is not amazing, but that one aspect of the show is impressive and not something I would expect in a childs toy advertising cartoon. The most impressive modern anime I can think of for kids is probably Dennou Coil.
Oct 2, 2015 8:53 AM

Mar 2012
Cardcaptor Sakura is basically one of my favourite anime ever.

Also certain seasons of Precure (Which may or may not be known as 'the lost episodes of Glitter Force' in a few years time).
Oct 2, 2015 9:12 AM

Dec 2011
Praland said:
Tamers
Oct 2, 2015 9:23 AM

Nov 2007
Nintama Rantarou is easily one of my all-time favorites.
Oct 2, 2015 10:00 AM
Jul 2018
absentminded said:
most of doraemon movie extreamly repetative. but each of them give feels in their own way and it's really well done job. i don't understand how they do it. that's why each doraemon movie will aired in my local television, i always watch it. too many movie to list TBH.

Agreed. I still watch Doraemon and enjoy it ^^
Oct 2, 2015 10:09 AM
Feb 2015
I've heard that Digimon Tamers is great.
Oct 2, 2015 10:21 AM

May 2012
2weeaboo4u said:
As for Dennou Coil, what was its timeslot?

NHK-E aired Coil twice. Both runs were carried on Saturday evenings around 6:30 pm.

The site mahou.org was a great resource that reported the time slots for every anime over quite a number of years. Unfortunately it's no longer available. There is also an archive of ratings data at http://www.geocities.jp/animesityouritu/. Push the pages through Google Translate. Sadly these data are also not maintained, but they are still available.
SeijiSenseiOct 2, 2015 10:27 AM
Oct 2, 2015 10:38 AM
Dec 2012
SeijiSensei said:
The site mahou.org was a great resource that reported the time slots for every anime over quite a number of years. Unfortunately it's no longer available. There is also an archive of ratings data at http://www.geocities.jp/animesityouritu/. Push the pages through Google Translate. Sadly these data are also not maintained, but they are still available.

That's really useful. I've been looking for some historical information on timeslots because they say a lot about who a show was meant for. Too bad that site doesn't go back further than 2000.
Oct 2, 2015 10:39 AM

May 2013
Digimon Adventure. I watched it just few years ago. The last episode almost put me to tears.
Pokemon Latios and Latias movie. Will rewatch to refresh my memory. I last watched it very long time ago but I was impressed back then.
Oct 2, 2015 10:40 AM

Jan 2013
galimx said:
Ie Naki Ko. A "children" show or so they say. But when you watch it, it slowly tears your heart apart. Its very sad and depressing. Dunno how could a kid watch this.
What, that's called a kid's show? Who retartd came to this conclusion
Oct 2, 2015 11:07 AM
Jul 2018
Yugioh 5ds, a bit underrated. That Fortune Cup arc hurt it slightly and then the last 2 arcs were just meh. It went from social and economic disparity and pretty good character backstories to just another yugioh. Still, pretty enjoyable.
Oct 2, 2015 11:57 AM

May 2012
2weeaboo4u said:
That's really useful. I've been looking for some historical information on timeslots because they say a lot about who a show was meant for. Too bad that site doesn't go back further than 2000.

It also doesn't include shows that aired on pay-TV satellite channels because ratings data aren't published for them. For instance, I don't think shows carried exclusively on AT-X appear in those reports.

None of the major databases at MAL, ANN, or AniDB have timeslot information either.
SeijiSenseiOct 2, 2015 12:02 PM
Oct 2, 2015 12:05 PM

Aug 2015
I've tried watching kids anime. It's bad. It's just not interesting. I only enjoy the most refined anime, such as Highschool DxD, Maken-ki, and KissxSis.
Oct 2, 2015 12:11 PM
Apr 2014
I forgot to mention Ie Naki Ko and The Mysterious Cities of Gold. This one is also supposedly a anime, but i can't find a MAL page for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time..._Man
"Chinese cartoons was a mistake"

Hayao Miyazaki
Oct 2, 2015 1:52 PM

Dec 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Kruszer said:

True, I forgot to check the ratings for all the Ghibli stuff (That and Nausicaa are PG-13). Fixed.
Did you use MAL to check for the age ratings? Because those are decided by MAL 's mods and is not an actual representation of whether they are considered a children's anime in Japan. Even the American releases's rating wouldn't be good enough.

Yeah I ordered my list by Age-rating and picked the highest rated "G" titles. Too much of a pain in the ass to get any more specific than that. Plus my list isn't full of that many titles that are "appropriate" for kids (even less that I liked) so they were pretty easy to pick out. I don't have any kids and I don't generally enjoy children's works so I don't usually watch them.
KruszerOct 2, 2015 2:18 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 2, 2015 9:10 PM
Jul 2015
layfonkun said:
Yugioh 5ds, a bit underrated. That Fortune Cup arc hurt it slightly and then the last 2 arcs were just meh. It went from social and economic disparity and pretty good character backstories to just another yugioh. Still, pretty enjoyable.

I still think Yu Gi Oh 5Ds is the best Yu Gi Oh.
Also Case Closed and Kiki's Delivery Service still make me smile when I watch them.
Oct 2, 2015 10:09 PM

Oct 2013
Does the Ghost Stories dub count? lol
Oct 2, 2015 10:24 PM

May 2013
I recently finished Little Battlers Experience and it had some of the most well written villains I have seen in a long time. Thoroughly enjoyable even though it was trying to sell me toys.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Oct 3, 2015 1:36 AM

May 2015
I watched 3 episodes of Dennou Coil and it looks great.

How can a G-rated anime have so much imagination and sense of wonder? You'd think that without age restriction, we will have more creativity.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 3, 2015 7:14 AM

May 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:

How can a G-rated anime have so much imagination and sense of wonder? You'd think that without age restriction, we will have more creativity.

Wait until you get to episode twelve.

As for your question, it took Iso seven years to find someone willing to produce Coil. What does that say about openness to creativity in the anime industry?
Oct 3, 2015 4:54 PM

May 2015
SeijiSensei said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Wait until you get to episode twelve.

As for your question, it took Iso seven years to find someone willing to produce Coil. What does that say about openness to creativity in the anime industry?

I'm asking how can for-adults have so much less creativity than kids' show, like this one and Tamers.
Oct 3, 2015 4:56 PM
Dec 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
I'm asking how can for-adults have so much less creativity than kids' show, like this one and Tamers.

I don't like being a broken record about this, but you have completed twelve shows. You are in no position to be making this comparison. Why do you keep making statements about things you're completely unqualified to talk about?
Oct 3, 2015 4:58 PM
Mar 2011
2weeaboo4u said:
DateYutaka said:
most anime is listed in this topic are for kids by legal deferntion of kid ie amied at under 20 years of age

By this logic, any R-rated movie is for kids too.

seinen and josei and amined at 20 and above here
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 3, 2015 5:05 PM

Aug 2015
2weeaboo4u said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I don't like being a broken record about this, but you have completed twelve shows. You are in no position to be making this comparison. Why do you keep making statements about things you're completely unqualified to talk about?

Can't your superior mind imagine he hasn't updated all the shows he has seen??
Oct 3, 2015 5:26 PM
Dec 2012
DateYutaka said:
seinen and josei and amined at 20 and above here

Those are target demographics, not age ratings.

megamachine said:
Can't your superior mind imagine he hasn't updated all the shows he has seen??

What, in like two years?
Oct 3, 2015 5:35 PM
Jun 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:

It is because most of the people that worked on the shows are veterans in the industry that have worked on some of the best anime to come out in twenty years. The lead writer of Tamers also did Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Ghost Hound, etc. A lot of his Sci-fi/cyberpunk shows like tamers has a lot of world building behind its concepts. The original creator of Dennou coil worked on Evangelion, FLCL, Ghost in the Shell, etc. If you are looking for the best anime in general it probably was done by big time veterans of the industry although it doesn't mean everything they make is going to be gold. It is hard to believe but the person responsible for creating Legend of Galactic Heroes also got the horrible adaptation that is Arslan Senki.
Oct 3, 2015 5:36 PM

Aug 2013
Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away really impressed me. Loved everything about them.
Oct 3, 2015 5:58 PM

Aug 2014
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

Click here to join our club Discord. Member or not, feel free to join. We are active everyday.
Oct 4, 2015 5:45 AM

May 2015
2weeaboo4u said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I know I'm ignorant. Even if I'll watch 100 shows I'll remain ignorant. That's why I'm putting my opinions here, so people will challenge them.

You provide no argument to make me reconsider my opinion. You just told me not to be too sure of myself, which I know.

15poundfish said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

It is because most of the people that worked on the shows are veterans in the industry that have worked on some of the best anime to come out in twenty years. The lead writer of Tamers also did Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Ghost Hound, etc. A lot of his Sci-fi/cyberpunk shows like tamers has a lot of world building behind its concepts. The original creator of Dennou coil worked on Evangelion, FLCL, Ghost in the Shell, etc. If you are looking for the best anime in general it probably was done by big time veterans of the industry although it doesn't mean everything they make is going to be gold. It is hard to believe but the person responsible for creating Legend of Galactic Heroes also got the horrible adaptation that is Arslan Senki.

I noticed that. It's interesting when makers of mature-and-deep stuff like Texhnolyze/NGE make a kids anime. They're forced to take these ideas and make them understandable to kids. If you also add the feat of not dumbing down the material, then it's a huge challenge. We are at our most creative when we're challenged, though.
Oct 4, 2015 6:27 AM
Dec 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
You provide no argument to make me reconsider my opinion.

The argument is that you should watch more anime.
Oct 4, 2015 6:38 AM

May 2012
Modest_Kuudere said:
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

I noticed that this was the top pick in ANN's list of shows that take place on the ocean that came out today, and apparently Anno was involved. Sounds like it's worth a watch. Thanks for the suggestion.
Oct 4, 2015 7:02 AM

Jul 2015
Hotaru no Haka is supposed to be for kids (I think). It left a profound impact on me.
Oct 4, 2015 8:17 AM
Aug 2015
Most of kid animes I watched are supported by the classical nostalgia goggle.

However, pokemon series do impress me. I mean, it supposed to end on 1999, with the Chosen One movie as the endgame. 15 odd years later, it still aired. Admittedly, Doraemon and Nintama Rantarou eclipse Pokemon, but I never thought a game-based anime can survived this long.

Even Yugioh changed the gameplay and characters so often. But, not with Pokemon. Ash still the pimpin' master, changing girl every continent he went.
Oct 4, 2015 8:50 AM

Jul 2013
Yes, it's called Idaten Jump and for a kid's anime, it's well written. It is also more mature than some shounen manga adaptations, like Suzuka which is melodramatic and cheesy as hell. Most cartoons/animation were made for younger audiences, anyway. Btw, Cardcaptor Sakura is aimed at teenage girls and not something that a pre-schooler or a third grader would normally watch.
Kurt_IrvingOct 4, 2015 9:00 AM
Oct 4, 2015 9:57 AM
Mar 2011
Dimethylanime said:
Hotaru no Haka is supposed to be for kids (I think). It left a profound impact on me.

true it is is
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Oct 4, 2015 9:59 AM
Mar 2011
Kurt_Irving said:
Yes, it's called Idaten Jump and for a kid's anime, it's well written. It is also more mature than some shounen manga adaptations, like Suzuka which is melodramatic and cheesy as hell. Most cartoons/animation were made for younger audiences, anyway. Btw, Cardcaptor Sakura is aimed at teenage girls and not something that a pre-schooler or a third grader would normally watch.

the only anime maied for aduts are seinen and josei [ thats 20 plus in Japan]

so CCS is a kids anime

anime labled kodomo are for the really young and in some cases adults watch them too

Nov 29, 2021 12:33 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Benienma said:
I've seen a few different Anime series aimed for children, and some have managed to remain very enjoyable despite containing simple or less mature subject matter. I'm curious if anyone has ever been impressed by a children's anime to the same level and with similar feelings as anime focused for older audiences.
Of course there's been some amazing kids anime out there!

I genuinely think a couple of the Pokémon movies are really good and Ojamajo Doremi totally deserves more love.
Nov 29, 2021 12:36 PM

Mar 2017
cardcaptor sakura for sure. a mix of magic and real world topics with great character development really pulled it together. it's also amazing that it managed to have canon gay characters in it without any stereotyping.
Nov 29, 2021 1:15 PM
Mar 2021
I've only seen a few episodes of Digimon Tamers (I will watch more when the stars align and I feel the mood strike me) but what I saw was really, really good. definitely a kids show, but the sense of lived in place, the character conflicts set up, the background worldbuilding, and the galaxy brain idea of having it set in a world where Digimon are fictional and the multimedia franchise exists, that's all pretty cool.

in terms of what I've completed, gotta give it up for Little Witch Academia. just a really solid series start to finish, kinda like if Harry Potter was written by people with good moral character instead and with all girls (not getting into it but the Potter series is full of bad moral lessons and the author is straight up an awful person IRL). also it's Trigger's most consistently written series, lmao. tbh it kinda has the same vibe as some contemporary Western cartoons, and was heavily inspired by Western fiction.

also it's pretty subtextually gay, lol. there's no way the tension between Akko and Diane that develops into a friendship wasn't purposefully yuri-coded. it's not, you know, quite Flip Flappers level, but it's there. and it's barely subtext with Chariot and Croix, hehehe.
Nov 29, 2021 9:03 PM

Jan 2020
OMG, YES! I was impressed as a kid, and I'm still impressed now by some of the stories those kids anime offered. Romeo no Aoi Sora for example is one that I cannot forget. It really does "power of friendship" better than most shounen. I loved the takeaway of the anime and how easily attached you get to the characters. The Secret Garden is another one that makes me more impressed the more I think about the different aspects of the story. Really some of these shows convey the most meaningful messages ever, and they can be very sad, but they manage to still put a smile on your face.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Nov 29, 2021 9:11 PM
Jul 2021
Yes beyblade and some shin-Chan movies😂
Nov 29, 2021 9:26 PM

Aug 2021
doraemon is my childhood in a nutshell so I love it beyond anything
Stawberry Milk Supremacy
Nov 29, 2021 9:51 PM
Mar 2017
The 'obvious' kids anime I have never seen or care to but I assume are good. Sure I've seen the first Digimon movie but I didn't realise it was anime at the time and not like I've seen the rest of that IP, Pokemon, Cardcaptors or otherwise usual kids shows.

I haven't seen many 'kids' age range anime other than mostly highschool stuff, less so Middle School or lower. I guess other than maybe Summer Wars which I just randomly watched and was a fine film.

The one I always think of and was impressed with when I saw it was Hitori Bochi.

While I'd seen Cute Girls Doing Cute Things shows/mostly female cast before (even though the guys in the class are only in the manga's final chapters and are just for a few panels so are basically non-existent so it's mostly a CGDCT show) I enjoyed what it did do even for it's basic story, middle school gags that I felt were enjoyable enough and fairly varied characters.
Suntanned_Duck2Nov 29, 2021 10:02 PM
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Anime ops you never skip

Mattenan - 1 hour ago

8 by ShatteredSans »»
11 minutes ago

» When did the term “Japanimation” started to become “anime” and what was the cause of that?

funtime43_tr - Today

21 by Adnash »»
31 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9120 by appledude1221 »»
59 minutes ago

Poll: » Choose one and give your reason for doing so. [NO SPOILERS]

TsutanaiFuun - Today

8 by TsutanaiFuun »»
1 hour ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7196 by Hikinekomori »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.