Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
School-Live!
Available on Manga Store
New
Do you think this anime would be better if there are male protagonists?
Sep 15, 2015 3:41 AM

Jun 2015
THIS IS MY FIRST TOPIC POSTED, PLZ DON'T HATE

I'm wondering why there are no male characters in this anime that doesn't die within the minute they are revealed.
  • Is it because it's fan-service bait?
  • Is it because the author's don't want to bother with dudes?
  • If there is an answer, I don't know.

I'm wondering what you guys/gals think? would a male protagonist make the anime better?

I know that the authors probably just didn't bother, since the manga/anime is supposed to appeal to young male audiences, but I like to think deeper into story sometimes(no I am not drunk or high)

If there is a reason why there's no guys in the manga (In-story reason) then I would just like to throw in a random theory, you don't have to read it, I just want to say what's in my mind.

Sep 15, 2015 3:49 AM

Aug 2012
There are plenty of anime like this without a male protagonist. Out of the two episodes I saw it didn't seem like it needed one.
NecromiaSep 15, 2015 4:16 AM
Sep 15, 2015 4:25 AM

Jan 2015
I think it's better without a male characters, this is just a my opinion.
[spoiler]
From chapter 37-38 appear some boys.
Sep 15, 2015 4:27 AM

Jul 2013
Because this is a moe slice of life anime about girls spending their time at school, why would you need boys?
Sep 15, 2015 6:00 AM
Oct 2014
No idea. Sound of the Sky and K-on don't have any important male character either. Perhaps it's the genre.
Sep 15, 2015 6:07 AM
Jul 2018
That way the writer don't have the need to worry about romance
Sep 15, 2015 1:01 PM

Aug 2015
As of now my vote is no since the anime and manga have done a pretty good job without one. Each of the girls fill their rolls well and their personalities fit for the setting of this anime.
With the introduction of a male character joining the group it may change the theme of the anime completely. If the male characters is competent the story might become more like HotD.

If the male character is your typical wuss or maybe have problems similar to what the girls have (delusions or trauma) then I can see viewers not liking him and be less sympathetic for him.

This is just my own personal thoughts but I think maybe having just a side male character would be okay.
Kind of like a guy who shows up, helps the girls out a little, and then leaves because he has his own agenda, not joining the school living club (viewers tend to like these type of characters).
This would allow viewers to see that there are at least some competent males in the world, and he wouldn't take any credit away from the four girls efforts.
Make the male character funny/witty, but serious and realistic when crap hits the fan and I think a male character could work.

But again as I said before, right now I think "Gakkou Gurashi" is fine without any male protagonists.

IncubusknightSep 15, 2015 5:23 PM
Sep 15, 2015 1:04 PM

Aug 2015
RodrikZen said:
That way the writer don't have the need to worry about romance

Romance sells, but then again adding male characters could make people angry if they try to pick up their favorite girl.
Sep 15, 2015 1:18 PM

Sep 2012
HiImJay7 said:
[list][*]Is it because it's fan-service bait?
yes
Sep 15, 2015 4:47 PM

Apr 2015
No, because the format completely changes once a male protagonist is there.

Also, the main point of the series(the manga) is to show the gap between the relatively bright (moe?) atmosphere the girls make at first and their mental degradation and plight. A male character would reduce that impact.
Sep 16, 2015 8:11 AM

Jan 2015
Red_Keys said:
HiImJay7 said:
[list][*]Is it because it's fan-service bait?
yes

You don't even have Gakkou Gurashi on your list, lol. You must be a random hater i guess
Sep 16, 2015 9:29 AM
Apr 2015
Male characters yes male protagonist no. I don't want harem in every anime.

With male characters it would have been more realistic. It is still fine anyway.
Sep 16, 2015 9:46 AM

Sep 2012
Xenocrisi said:
Red_Keys said:
yes

You don't even have Gakkou Gurashi on your list, lol. You must be a random hater i guess
Nah, just somebody who knows to avoid shows in which the basic premise relies on pandering to an audience I'm not part of.
Sep 16, 2015 9:50 AM

Apr 2015
Red_Keys said:
Xenocrisi said:

Nah, just somebody who knows to avoid shows in which the basic premise relies on pandering to an audience I'm not part of.

And then how do you know if it's fan-service bait, then?
Sep 16, 2015 10:57 AM

Jan 2015
Man_Lanz said:
Red_Keys said:

Because he knows everything.
Sep 16, 2015 11:05 AM

Jan 2013
apparently there are males in that hardcore survivors group

but who knows how long till the mains connect with them
Sep 16, 2015 12:08 PM

Dec 2014
I agree with the fan service bait remark, but I also think that all the absurdly-placed fanservice doesn't take away from the fact that this is an incredible survival tale. The storytelling is very good and each character is interesting in her own right. I would like to see a few males in the story (maybe in a second season?) but you can't have it all. Either way, I'm enjoying the show.
Sep 16, 2015 12:11 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
...because it isn't necessary? =_=
Sep 16, 2015 8:38 PM

Jan 2012
Man_Lanz said:

come on man do you need to sniff poo to know it's poo? Various ways to judge.

Ehh doesn't need males. I came for the softcore zombie and panty/boob shots. I am satisfied.
you sound poor
Sep 16, 2015 10:02 PM

Apr 2015
MetalxSoldier said:
Man_Lanz said:

come on man do you need to sniff poo to know it's poo? Various ways to judge.

Ehh doesn't need males. I came for the softcore zombie and panty/boob shots. I am satisfied.

No I'm not satisfied, because I gave the lowest episode score to the arguably fan-service swimsuit episode. Various ways to judge, eh? No way and no right to judge other peoples' minds.

This really doesn't need males. Read my post above.
Oct 18, 2015 10:31 AM

Nov 2008
Mii-kun is partly male: http://twicolle.com/P225824/
Oct 18, 2015 2:39 PM

Mar 2012
Sadly all the male MC in animes tend to be idiots with no sense of anything so I think it probably would end in a disaster.
If we have a male MC who is a "hero" then the girls would never go outside, so no adventures, so no Miki, in the other hand, if the male MC is the average idiots from any slice of life we'll loose all the mood created by a group of "fragile" but at the same time strong girls doing their best to survive.

In the manga we can see that men are the reason larger groups die, like Miki's.
Also there are new people in the manga and a male that looks like a true leader shows with them.
Waifus only represent ideals
Jan 9, 2016 3:45 PM

Jun 2015
I think male characters would have screwed with the dynamics of the cast, it's better this way.
Jan 9, 2016 3:50 PM

May 2015
Kruzy said:
Because this is a moe slice of life anime about girls spending their time at school, why would you need boys?

This exactly....

Jan 11, 2016 11:05 AM
Oct 2014
There is no significant male character in K-on, Sound of the Sky, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, so why here? Not all anime need a male character, you know.
Jan 11, 2016 11:12 AM

Mar 2015
I could never watch an anime without boys. An all-boys anime is nice, though.
Jan 30, 2016 10:35 PM

Feb 2012
I think this anime was focused on depicting the psychological state of young female adolescents exposed to severe trauma and hardship, and what their reactions would be in survival situations.

It was a bit refreshing to not have a male protagonist - Otherwise, this would've turned into a survival-romcom like HSotD where the women begin to harem around the male protagonist.

This anime, instead, explored an all-female survival relationship and I could almost say it'll be quite similar to how Final Fantasy XV handles in relation to an all-male cast.
"The speck of fear grows in your eyes
You'll meet your death in no disguise
It may come as a small surprise
There will be no compromise for you"

- Nikopol Lyrics, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Oct 14, 2019 7:11 PM

Nov 2008
Well...I wish Kurumi's boyfriend had survived somehow. :( Cute boys can always make an anime better.

FunkyNano said:
Because this anime is pedo bait and they want to flaunt flat girls in bikinis

"Flat".........

Um

THOSE ARE BIGGER THAN MINE AND I'M TWICE HER AGE.

Oct 28, 2019 11:55 PM
May 2019
FunkyNano said:
Because this anime is pedo bait and they want to flaunt flat girls in bikinis
the anime but not the manga the manga is amazing i was disappointed when i heard about the anime from my friend after reading the manga. When i first found the manga i was about to just throw it away cus the synopsis made it sound like any trashy bad manga butt then i saw the psychological horror tag and read it was amazing but sad to hear the anime one sucked
Apr 12, 2020 3:20 AM

Jun 2017
old thread no one will read but idc

re:op somehow shoving in a guy into the cast would change the dynamic entirely. the fact there isn't guy is obviously deliberate, and probably a bit more (but lol probably not entirely discluding) than just 'fan-service bait'

so i don't think shoving a guy in stories like these that make deliberate use of all-girl casts necessarily makes anything better, but i do appreciate it when anime that align themselves much closer to this kinda dynamic takes the tad bit of effort and acknowledges the opposite sex

K-ON while great i think sins the most here in having an utter absence of males

bibotot said:
There is no significant male character in K-on, Sound of the Sky, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, so why here? Not all anime need a male character, you know.

i think madoka gets away with it in my book because
1) it's a MAGICAL GIRL show and a very fleshed out one at that
2) there are several relevant male characters, including violin boi.

Gakkou here I'm also willing to accept partly because of the setting and the situation of the story. I mean obviously putting aside the nonsensical way the zombie apocalypse started and the fact that these handful of girls are for some reason or another the only ones that survived - you only have these select few characters in the first place, and they're isolated and stuck in a school building. not having an important guy makes enough sense once you're willing to accept the premise
and it's not like there isn't a single relevant guy in the show. shovel girl's dead bf was a nice little touch, even though the story doesn't really touch on it all that well (I mean, better than K-ON's situation where ritsu's little bro is literally irrelevant unless you're reading nsfw doujinshi)

idk what happens in the manga, but i'd probably be less OK with a complete lack of living relevant male characters once they're going around the open world exploring and everything
Dec 10, 2020 11:08 AM
Mar 2016
There is no male characters inthis anime. But I like this. If there is one male character. This anime will definitely turn into a harem. Or maybe like the anime Highschool Of The Dead
Dec 24, 2020 12:56 PM

Nov 2013
I think the male character would've inevitably added sexual tension - sex jokes, love triangles, harem - considering this all happens in High school, things would've been much different. Also, less cuteness and more zombie-killing-related action scenes that are unnecessary for psychological-horror type of anime - would've happened. Female characters are more fragile (not being sexist here!), cute and vulnerable (even Kurumi), so the viewers feel more emotionally attached towards them as they are in trouble, are hurt, in danger. We don't like when cute "things" get hurt/depressed. Males are not cute. Unless u gay/female. So, it makes us more happy to see them happy. Who gives two shits if a male is not happy...

For this very reason, in wars for instance, males are seen as expendable "by default" and people don't really feel much about them when they die. Humans are so used to this fact that most of us don't give two shits when males get blown up to shreds by the hundreds, on the battlefield. Yet, put a single woman there and when she gets hurt, people lose their shit!

In other words, all-female-crew makes us more emotional (even if some of us are here for boobs/waifu material and shit). We care more about females than males. Gakkougurashi has this feminine charm, and I would've liked it less if males were involved. After all, males would've DOMINATED the stage. Sorry feminists reading this, but male/females are different - they were, and always will be. A male character would've taken Kurumi's role and upgraded it to a next level - by going outside more often, killing more, doing more "heroic" shit and most likely dying "heroically" in the end.

For the same reason, I'm glad there are no males in Madoka magica.
Jul 16, 12:30 PM
Jan 2024
A male protagonist would change the whole story, at some point people would ask which of the girls he should date; the story is focused on the psychological issues of the characters and their journey of self-discovery, by adding a male character, romance would also be subject to being added, deviating the story from the original proposal!

Fan service is not for the male protagonist, but for the viewer, usually the male audience!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2015

216 by MrList »»
Jul 5, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2015

322 by MrList »»
Jul 5, 8:44 PM

Poll: » Gakkou Gurashi! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2015

235 by MrList »»
Jun 26, 12:07 PM

Poll: » Gakkou Gurashi! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2015

329 by MrList »»
Jun 23, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Gakkou Gurashi! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2015

290 by MrList »»
Jun 21, 12:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.