Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2009 2:23 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty damn good episode. Aside from episode 6,probably the best yet. Though the episode was funny, it actually had some rather dramatic parts. Godai's fear of Kyoko's dead husband seems, to me, to be a very real concern in situations such as this. The fear that you could never live up to the man that came before.

I've also done some pretty stupid stuff like Godai did while drunk, so I can relate to that as well. But, possibly the most interesting scene is Kyoko in the park implying that she would have slept with him. After all, as she said, she is still a woman ultimately.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 3, 2011 3:41 AM

Feb 2010
Godai is a human character yet watching him makes me cringe. I get it, he's a loser. But I dread watching him run into one awkward situation after another. This episode was full of 'em.

Kyoko reacted like most would: dazing off, awkward silence, etc.
Nov 20, 2011 5:25 AM

Sep 2008
That was a really good episode. Takahashi has pretty skillfully woven comedy in with 'romance' and drama.

insan3soldiern said:
I've also done some pretty stupid stuff like Godai did while drunk, so I can relate to that as well.

I don't drink so I've never had the experience of being drunk... :P So I can't relate. (Fortunately?)

It was definitely fairly intriguing, what Kyoko was implying... and her getting upset at the end. Godai still has a chance, hey? Ahh, who am I kidding? There are over 80 episodes left; he's got plenty of time left.
Mar 10, 2012 7:29 AM
Dec 2010
No matter how much ever got drunk i don't think i would ever yell like that though i would take Kyoko in arms anyway xD
those co-tenants drag their jokes too far without carrying about anyone else.
I'd like to see something with good things to happen for change, some progress.

Sent with Mal Updater
greenmartyMar 10, 2012 9:06 AM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
May 25, 2012 8:42 AM

Jan 2010
Why ? :D
Why did you not finish this :D
Jan 29, 2013 5:52 PM

Apr 2012
I was pretty impressed with this episode but, man, that misunderstanding at the end was hard to watch. But, I guess if Godai made his feelings known this early on in the series, I have a hard time imagining what they would do with the remaining 88 episodes.
May 29, 2013 12:49 PM

Sep 2012
Wow, the people he lives with are really giant assholes.
Sep 30, 2015 10:50 AM
May 2015
So much feeling
Nov 14, 2015 11:41 PM
Jun 2013
Man this is getting good.
Feb 10, 2016 9:04 AM

Jun 2013
the most suckers neighbors of all time in animes...
Apr 22, 2016 5:33 PM

Jun 2014
Can this show go even one episode without showing someone getting drunk? This show is annoying and boring.

Jul 20, 2016 4:52 AM

Feb 2014
I really hope those assholes living with him at least try to redeem themselves in the next episode. And that was some dark comedy towards the very end. Probably the best episode yet.
Aug 5, 2016 9:58 PM

Jan 2013
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not this major misunderstanding. I can't handle it. This will take many epiosdes to make right.
Apr 10, 2017 6:45 PM

May 2009
When misunderstandings cause an even bigger problem! Now Kyoko and Godai are hurt and what's even worse is that a possible love rival is arriving in the next episode! :(
Apr 12, 2017 9:09 AM
Dec 2016
narulovesramen said:
When misunderstandings cause an even bigger problem! Now Kyoko and Godai are hurt and what's even worse is that a possible love rival is arriving in the next episode! :(

In order to survive Maison Ikkoku, you must learn to accept that this is a way of life :).
Sep 27, 2017 2:10 PM

May 2015
Sad ending :((( KYOKO!!!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 19, 2018 12:42 AM

Oct 2009
Here lies Godai.
He never scored.
Jun 1, 2019 8:42 PM
Feb 2018
Awesome episode! It was funny seeing him loaded drunk being stupid. The tenants are dicks for doing that to him, making him feel as if he did horrible things when he was drunk, only for it to completely backfire on him in the end. Even though Kyoko is mourning still, she took serious offence to Godai saying everything he said was a joke meaning that him saying,"I love you" was him joking around, but he didn't know he said that when he was drunk in the first place. So obviously Kyoko has some little form of interest in Godai, nothing major, very minor interest in him since she isn't over her deceased husband. Gonna be hard for him to fix things now that next episode, a new guy is there to catch the eye of Kyoko.
Sep 16, 2019 10:24 AM

Jul 2015
I love the aspect of them being adults, unlike most romance anime where the charactors are highschool kids

Didn't expect him to confess so early on... but to do it in a drunk way is definitely something Godai would do

Jan 8, 2020 11:22 PM

Jun 2016
LMAO Godai is so fucking stupid lol. Man almost got laid tho and manager was about to gave in as she hasn't done anything in years.

Good shit,dope episode.
Dec 22, 2020 11:32 PM
Jul 2018
DUB 21:54 to 22:12

As far as English dubs go, that’s some gorgeous voice acting. From Godai’s confused mumbles to Kyoko’s outburst.

“Are you saying that what you told me was a joke?”

What!?

“You told me that you LOVED me as a joke?”

“I.. wha—?”

These 80’s and 90’s anime can be very corny — especially dubs — but something about this scene/dialogue felt SO right. SO well executed. And I think it had a bit to do with character design: Kyoko had a well proportioned face. No gigantic eyes or forehead or lack of a nose or puny mouth. A regular, expressive face, with perfect tears (not too much, not too little). And the voice acting, the voice acting, the voice acting. Sometimes Kyoko misses the mark, sometimes she hits the nail on the head. It’s hit or miss, and this scene was a homerun.

………. I WILL say this, though, 23:00 was a BIT strange for me… the one of Godai just screaming Kyoko into the night. For roughly thirty seconds up to around 23:35. Something about that part really rubbed me the wrong way. I haven’t seen the Japanese-VA version, maybe it worked better there. But it just got tedious and repetitive—Godai’s chanting—and the whininess of it seemed very uncharacteristic. I know in these eight episodes Godai has begun to develop some mental stress due to a somewhat unrequited love, but geez, it’s like he’s lost it here. This is the most he’s wept. Over what? Well, the premise…

Realistically speaking, it’s kind of dumb how Kyoko is confused by Godai’s message. He was clearly drunk. And he was definitely NOT joking when he said he loved her (which she takes for the truth when Godai tells her it was a joke).
How could Kyoko believe that? That someone acting so uncharacteristically such as Godai was sober and joking when he told Kyoko he loved her. Idiot.. and then, before she broke out into tears, how could she not perceive Godai’s cluelessness? I just think she’s being a bit impulsive So the overall premise of the scene rubbed me the wrong way… I can think of a hundred ways it could’ve been better executed. Which totally contradicts the first paragraph… but my initial point was that the voice acting was absolutely spot on for about 20 seconds or so. Which was the highlight (audibly).
Feb 4, 2021 3:59 AM
Jul 2019
Seiya said:
Can this show go even one episode without showing someone getting drunk? This show is annoying and boring.
you shouldn't force yourself to watch if you don't like the show,really...🤦‍♀
Feb 4, 2021 7:44 AM

Jun 2014
CatLoverMoshi said:
Seiya said:

I didn't think that someone would quote a post that I made 5 years ago. :P

The only reason I was forcing myself to watch it, was because all my friends nagged me to watch it, claiming that it was the best romance anime, but I hated it. I permanently quit watching it after 20 episodes, and I don't know why I made myself suffer that long.

Feb 7, 2021 3:13 AM
Jul 2019
Seiya said:
CatLoverMoshi said:

I didn't think that someone would quote a post that I made 5 years ago. :P

The only reason I was forcing myself to watch it, was because all my friends nagged me to watch it, claiming that it was the best romance anime, but I hated it. I permanently quit watching it after 20 episodes, and I don't know why I made myself suffer that long.

Lol, good thing you stopped... Was the nagging really that much that you forced yourself to watch it?🤔 Anyways, I'm kinda impressed that you managed to watch it through 20 episodes even though you hated it...
May 25, 2021 12:36 AM

Jan 2018
This show really could've ended before it even started. Technically it's thanks to the tenants of Maison Ikkoku that this show is as long as it is, which is a good thing.
May 25, 2021 12:47 AM
May 2021
I really loved watching it!

Truly amazing!
Sep 3, 2022 9:17 PM

Apr 2016
With the neighbours being the worst and Yuusaku being an idiot I can only expect the other guy is going to be some sort of asshole.
Feb 22, 2023 8:43 PM
Mar 2019
Damn this episode went from being hilarious to dramatic and sad at the end.

I notice some background characters when Gadai is meeting up with Sakamoto look like Ataru, Onson Mark and Megane.

When Godai is imagining himself running naked with Kyoko screaming 'eek a man' that was a reference to Kyoko voice actress who voiced Asuka in Urusei Yatsura. That made me laugh so hard.

Why does Sakamoto sound a little like Ataru from Urusei Yatsura. I look it up he's voiced by Toshio Furukawa, Wow I would of never guessed it. He sounded different in the previous episodes
Oct 28, 2023 3:10 AM

Jul 2022
wow epic fail confession, you could've chased her and tell her how you feel then and there!!!!!!!!!
Jan 31, 1:36 PM

May 2022
Kyoko san didn't seem too fazed about Godai san's confession at first, or she was just surprised, dunno.
Classic MI misunderstanding in the end.

Trains
EPs 6/96
In total 16 (+5)
Apr 21, 8:47 AM

Nov 2022
I love how the graphic details like Godai's fantasies and Yotsuya's comedic timings are improved in the anime to fit the anime experience. Godai's juvenile love and Kyoko's prevailing resentment, it's beautifully laid out for the viewer to ponder upon. And my favorite attention-to-detail is Wakamoto casted as the Chachamaru bartender, which is a great improvement from the manga ones, given the bartenders' role as a seasoned bystander aside Akemi, fits Wakamoto's style very well.

Overall, I am having a great time and the ending always gives me a lump in my throat.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 38 Discussion

meneope - Jul 1, 2011

23 by Lethal_Rabbit »»
May 29, 4:09 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 2 Discussion

hellogoodbye - May 30, 2011

27 by gannoncannon55 »»
May 28, 11:27 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 1 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 25, 2009

39 by gannoncannon55 »»
May 28, 12:19 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 36 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 31, 2009

24 by Lethal_Rabbit »»
May 27, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 53 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 4, 2009

32 by Safrichh »»
May 26, 9:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.