Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2011 11:57 PM

Feb 2010
A Veoh user made a remark that had me laughing:
johnvideo said:
What is she DOING ON THAT ROOF! -- You DON'T WALK ON TILES, you must spread weight over several with padded plywood, and you don't lean a ladder on the tiles. You don't put your toolbox directly on the tiles (it can chip them) and you DON'T WORK IN THE RAIN or on a wet roof! ... It does not look like she has the right tools and is she using COPPER nails? ... If she does not know what she is doing, she will break more tiles than she replaces! ... ... KIDS - DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME - GET A PRO!

Otherwise, the show seems to be taking its time. So far we've been introduced to the residents of Ikkoku. Godai is so hesitant it's pathetic. I sympathize with him, but argh, watching him makes me cringe.
May 31, 2011 12:02 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, that comment was pretty damn funny. And, Godai hit to close to home for me many times throughout the series as..he seems alot like me at times. But, believe me, he does grow throughout the series.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 9, 2012 4:30 PM
Dec 2010
oh yeah there's reason for all of those 96 eps , this is not gonna be exactly rushed story will be ? I just hope it's worthy to watch all of those.
Sent with Mal Updater
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
May 25, 2012 4:26 AM

Jan 2010
Akemi is cool character :D
Jul 7, 2012 5:59 PM

Oct 2009
My gawd the main character is a pansy!
hellogoodbye said:
Godai is so hesitant it's pathetic. I sympathize with him, but argh, watching him makes me cringe.

Agreed, I'm questioning if I'm gonna enjoy this series, but I believe in giving all anime a fair chance, hopefully this series proves worthwhile.
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Oct 29, 2012 4:37 PM

Dec 2011
Kentaro is the cutest thing. =3
Jul 25, 2013 12:30 PM
Aug 2007
Hmmm.. a fairly slow start, it seems like this'll be the sort of anime where any romantic progress will be "blocked" by last second intrusions (like Kentaro showing up every single time Godai was about to make a move).

But I trust MAL's ratings and this is highly rated, so I'm expecting good things from it...
Sep 29, 2015 9:47 AM
May 2015
This show is amazing!
Apr 21, 2016 8:52 PM

Jun 2014
This show is painful to watch, and very boring. There's not one interesting character so far, and the soundtrack isn't even any good.

Aug 4, 2016 8:20 PM

Jan 2013
Soooooooooooooo frustrating he doesn't give her the gift.
This is going to be a long 96 episodes.
Dec 13, 2016 6:32 PM

Aug 2016
Should have done the same as the kid and just give the present, bit disappointed he diden't give the present at the end of the episode i hope he does give it in the next one.

Getting thrown out of your own room lmao.
Apr 4, 2017 8:06 PM

May 2009
I sympathize with Godai, this is his first love ( I assume?)! Of course a hesitant guy like him is gonna fail trying to give a gift to Kyoko. I just think he needs more confidence...and less sarcasm and intrusion from his neighbors lol. Well, it's still the beginning of the series so I'll be rooting for Godai and his journey to win Kyoko's heart <3
Sep 27, 2017 6:27 AM

May 2015
Dog is my favourite character so far.

"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 15, 2018 6:36 PM

Nov 2011
Eh. I think this needs to be given more episodes to grow on me. It could very well be a great series, but I don’t think I’m in the mood for this type of slow-burn romance right now. Initial impressions didn’t grab me well enough; the comedy didn’t hit hard enough and the characters are pretty uninteresting so far.

So yeah, again, it really might be a great series, but for now I think I’d be better off shelving this and waiting until I’m in a better frame of mind for it.
Nov 11, 2018 5:35 PM

Nov 2016
Seeing how many episodes there are left, Godai has still plenty of chances. Guess this show is watched best in small portions.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 11, 2018 7:04 PM

Dec 2008
Having watched MI about 5 times I can say it's #1 on my list of alltime favorite anime. The ending makes all the setups very well worth the time invested watching it. It does lend itself to marathon watching, the word "great" doesn't come close to describing how good the series is. It's just too bad I can't say that about any of Rumiko Takahashi's other series, though.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Mar 10, 2019 2:36 PM

Jul 2014
Sometimes I feel like I relate to Godai and he's experiences. I'm enjoying it so far, it's pretty laied back.
"That smile was like the sun on a hot summer day...with eyes like ice."
May 31, 2019 8:27 AM
Feb 2018
I enjoyed this episode alot! I'm liking the slow story building/character building. The soundtrack when they were walking down the street at night was very nice (Saxophone suited the mood). So we see that Godai hears Kyoko saying "Souichiro", so Godai jumps to action to find out more about her supposed boyfriend only to find out while at the bar that, Kyoko is single! He keeps failing his attempt to give her a piece of jewelry he purchased for her.
Sep 16, 2019 7:27 AM

Jul 2015
I wonder how the heck those tenants earn their keep, no wonder the old manager was tired, he has to deal with idiots on a daily basis

Feb 4, 2020 1:06 PM

Oct 2012
Let's all take a moment to thank anime god for finally killing off the boy-touch-boob-girl-hit-boy scene for the most part. One of the good things about modern anime.

Real glad he didnt kiss her in her sleep. Godai is kind of creepy and pathetic so far. Judging by the response I'm not alone in thinking this episode was a bit lacking. It's good to see, judging from how positive people seem to be about this show I imagine itll start to pick up steam as it goes on. godai will probably mature over the course of the show, hopefully hell be more likeable then.

Also yeah that ladder, lol this motherfucker is gonna get herself killed climbing around on the roof like that.
ChromephoneFeb 4, 2020 5:33 PM
Jan 28, 2021 6:23 AM
Oct 2019
Kentaro is really annoying
May 19, 2021 7:50 PM

Jan 2021
Godai You creep....
Aug 7, 2022 9:12 PM

Apr 2016
Good to know Kyouko is more than just being nice; this episode was more entertaining than the first one.

Godai is one dull creep.
Jan 5, 2023 8:58 PM
Mar 2019
The set of Kyouko preparing to slap Godai with the lighting in the background as she raises her hand made me laugh so hard. It was like you are gonna feel the fury of this woman. Kyouko reminds me of Sakura from Urusei Yatsura if Sakura was much nicer. I can definitely see her influence in her design with her hair

I really wish Godai would of given her that present.   
Dec 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Nov 2022
Man, the OST used is pretty good, and the adaptation from the manga, especially those comedic moments and silent, aesthetic panels are expressed here pretty well. Let's see how good they are adapting the manga.
Jan 29, 10:43 AM

May 2022
No trains, count stands
EPs 1/96
In total 3
Apr 1, 2:33 AM

Jun 2021
Just 2 episodes in, and a c-word winter holiday season episode already? Well, at least the theme was sort of underplayed and faced quickly, wishing it will be the first and last time. Poor Godai, accidental pervert on the roof (into a situation that could have ended so much worse) and into a situation more relatable than it seems when it comes to wanting to do something but something or someone else always interferes at the last moment. Akemi should apologize for throwing him out of his own room, but totally don't expect it will happen. At least, he spent some precious time with Kyoko.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 63 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 9, 2009

31 by Inter_anime »»
Apr 21, 12:20 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 9 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 26, 2009

24 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 21, 10:49 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 8 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 26, 2009

30 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 21, 8:47 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 7 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 2, 2011

20 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 14, 9:31 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 6 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 25, 2009

28 by _untitled »»
Apr 2, 5:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.