Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 23, 2015 7:15 PM

Jun 2015
FUCK DOFLAMINGO, I hope luffy beat the shit out of him.
Jun 22, 2016 3:26 AM

Jan 2015
This episode was interesting and so sad for the King ;3
Doflamingo is so badass and a awesome villain :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Aug 6, 2016 1:40 AM

Mar 2015
No wonder they all hate King Riku.. but I didn't expect that it was the puppet master who was the reason for his downfall!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 14, 2016 12:06 AM

May 2013
Doffy, you are such an ass >:(
Sep 8, 2016 9:07 PM
Jul 2009
Let's hope King Riku doesn't rule our country. It would be a mess!

The thing about One Piece is that we started to watch as shounens and fifteen years later we are not young anymore but it still a shounen and some shounen cliches bores with maturity.

And of course the pace does not help either.

I'm sad to admit that because I really grew up loving this story with my guts.
Nov 26, 2016 3:08 PM
May 2013
Joker is too great , a royal villain , the way he used this whole situation to destroy 800 years of trust in just 1 night is brilliant .
Feb 21, 2017 3:00 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The dark story between the King Riku and Doflamingo ten years ago!!!
May 2, 2017 2:28 AM

May 2014
Oh, Doffy you absolute menace.

Good plan though, tbh...better to play hero than to usurp the throne through invasion and the fear of the people.
Poor Riku though, he's being forced to kill all of his citizens.

I know Doffy's a creepy psycho and all, but that throne is technically his, so uh, yeah.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 15, 2017 1:23 PM

Dec 2014
Riku a little too quick to trust his word... especially when he knew he was a pirate and have enough power to blackmail the world gov...
May 3, 2018 11:26 AM

Feb 2016
Mingo's plan only worked because the king is a moron and ideologue (also means he is a moron).

Either:
A. Mingo was a honourable person and is the rightful king.
B. He was a 'pirate' and tyrant who would ruin the country.

If the king believed (A) was true, the right thing to do would be to abdicate and hand the crown to Mingo.
If the king believed (B) then the only options would be to fight or surrender.

The king did neither and allowed; tons of meaningless deaths and suffering.

Natural selection I guess -dumb kings and their dumb countries get rekt eventually.
Dec 26, 2019 8:52 AM

Jun 2016
There were many parallels drawn between Don Quixote Doflamingo and king Riku. Whereas Doflamingo is a warmonger, the Riku family is an 800 year pacifistic group. Where Doflamingo says “every human has a cruel side, death is entertainment”, Riku says “we are not beasts, humans should not kill each other”. Doflamingo tapped into the cruel side of humanity and shaped his people to be bestial as Cavendish described the colosseum. But Riku was able to shape his people to be loyal and loving.

At first I didn’t think I’d like this too much. Riku is doing the Cobra and Doflamingo is doing the Crocodile. We’ve seen this before. As I was comparing Riku with Cobra’s mentality that the country is the people, that both want to preserve their people's lives no matter what, we saw Riku was just as selfless as Cobra. He was sincerely prostrating for his people and did as Cobra, planned to sacrifice himself with faith that the country will live on without him. Then, like with Bon Clay impersonating the king to ruin his reputation, we had Doflamingo puppet the king to ruin his reputation. Both Crocodile and Doflamingo ruining a country while hiding in the sidelines. The similarities are strong here even if the motivations of Crocodile and Doflamingo were much different. Further, One Piece’s tendency to somehow be wonderfully morally ambiguous by creating this distinction between freedom and structure and having injustice seep in both while having both ideas of justice clash even amongst themselves is impressive, but I can be peeved by the fact that some characters are made too picture perfect. Sure, not many people in the One Piece world are absolutely evil but there are certainly the undeniably morally wonderful people to contrast with the bad people and I like my characters to feel slightly more human. Like Fisher Tiger was for instance.

Yet, despite these “criticisms” I was absolutely hooked and emotional in the end. Firstly, despite the goody two shoes aura of our man Riku, he was made quite believable to me. It wasn’t on the level of someone like Whitebeard, but to be a king who prostrates to his people, crying as he promises his sincerity in this awful action. To suggest cutting off his own limbs to prove himself. To win the people over despite the questionable order. To cry in pain as he slaughters his own people. To share so much respect and faith with Tank. He came off as real to me through these actions, I believed a man like him could exist. He felt human. Which makes for the puppeting of an entire kingdoms beloved soldiers to be actually puke-worthy. Doflamingo has immense power to puppet a field of people like this and absolutely no sympathy for anyone outside of his men from what we’ve seen. He made them slaughter and burn down their own kingdom and it looked horrible through the eyes of the citizens, even giving us implicit child murder. To have them show absolute faith in their leader and then have it betrayed in the most disgusting manner ever is sure to shatter all trust they had in him. What a bastard Doflamingo is.

And speaking of Doflamingo, I love how he does things! Flying into the king's window and immediately telling him not to call for help, every time he’s on scream we know we know to expect something. He’s got connections, he’s got a diehard loyal family, he’s got immense power, and he’s a schemer with no sympathy. Put those together and you get one diabolical, cackling, and intimidating villain who is always putting people in a tight spot. It’s interesting that toy soldier mentioned Monet, I’m eager to see more of her.
May 1, 2020 5:08 AM
Jul 2018
Wow, this was a really dark episode. Probably the most tragic thing to happen in all of post-timeskip One Piece up until this very point. Idrgaf about Fishman Island because it was presented so poorly, and Punk Hazard was troubling but not to this extent. Rebecca’s story and current circumstances are pretty sad, but now we have to realize what a Hellishly agonizing feeling the king and his men must have succumbed to. As for Doflamingo… thus far, he has been shown to be wicked but at the same time had a certain amount of levelheadedness. This episode really just took the cruelty to the extreme though and alleviated any kinda humanity I thought he might’ve had. Not only did he betray Law but he straight up lied to the King after his initial pay-me-10-billion barter -- so he's NOT a man of word, and no one should ever have any reason to trust him.

Overall, this was *one* of the grimmest episodes I’ve seen out of One Piece in nearly 100-200+ episodes.
May 3, 2020 5:22 AM
Apr 2020
Doffy is despicable af yet we all can't deny he is a fucking badass.. he is like the legit dangerous villain and that's how you do things.. trick, trap, brainwash.. that moment when he opened the King's room window and sitting there under the moon light.. he was so coolll.. i know i sounds like some fangirl but idc xD
Nov 14, 2020 5:20 AM

Sep 2019
Just love this guy, doflamingo is my kinda guy smart and pure evil.
Nov 14, 2020 5:22 AM

Sep 2019
tzmmindaeyo said:
Doffy is despicable af yet we all can't deny he is a fucking badass.. he is like the legit dangerous villain and that's how you do things.. trick, trap, brainwash.. that moment when he opened the King's room window and sitting there under the moon light.. he was so coolll.. i know i sounds like some fangirl but idc xD
I know what you mean it's same for me too.
Jan 25, 2021 8:08 PM

May 2016
I never realised how evil Doffy is! I hope Luffy kicks his ass in this arc!
Mar 1, 2021 7:53 PM

Jan 2010
So the king was threatened by Doflamingo, forced to give 10 billion berries or have his kingdom massacred by his pirate crew? The king, treasuring the kingdom's 800 years of no wars, refuses to fight back and just goes with it, eventually playing into Doflamingo's whole scheme?

I get that Doflamingo is incredibly powerful, has his whole character history to back him up, and claims a birthright to rule Dressrosa, but...I just don't know. This coup required the king to just roll over and submit to Doflamingo's orders initially, asking money from the country. Also, what's the range on Doflamingo's Devil Fruit ability? He's controlling an entire army to go on a massacre across the country, controlling individual actions everywhere. I know power scaling and such is more of a suggestion than anything actually measurable in One Piece, but it's still pretty crazy.

Lastly, I don't get Rebecca's bit about trying to play the pacifist, using dodges and attack redirection instead of landing any actual blows. She's still causing fighters to occasionally strike each other, as well as knocking people into the water filled with those violent fish.
Apr 1, 2021 10:25 PM

May 2016
Doflamingo was shown to be the mastermind behind so many horrible things throughout the series but only now, in this episode, have I felt so much outright hatred for him. Seeing him actually do the dirty work himself along with how much devastation and chaos his power can bring made him a lot more terrifying than he already is.

It was absolutely heart-shattering to see King Riku and his soldiers being manipulated into cutting down their own people and burning down their towns. He was just a benevolent ruler stuck between a rock and a hard place trying his best to help his country... Seeing his descendants being killed off or being called devils by the now-depraved, violence-loving people of Dressrosa must've been heartbreaking for him.

Aug 8, 2021 11:50 AM

Jun 2019
I hate him but I love him. A great villain indeed.
Aug 26, 2021 11:27 AM

Aug 2021
Now I realize why doffy's name was in a top antagonist list that I read once
He's too evil D:
Oct 21, 2021 3:30 AM
Feb 2020
Doflamingo is a demon among men. Hold on, let's get this shit, let's get this shit, let's get this shit, let's, hmm. Top of the mornin', top of the mornin', top of the mornin', top of the mornin', top of the mornin', top of the mornin', top of the mornin'.
Apr 25, 2022 4:05 PM

Dec 2012
That was horrifying. It's very reminiscent to what happened in Alabasta, except this is significantly darker because of the undeniable bloodbath & its decade long ramifications. Crocodile was cruel, but nowhere near as sadistic as Doflamingo, who wants to be intimately involved in his treacherous ambitions instead of calculating who to use for the master plan.

Perhaps the most nefarious part of Doflamingo usurping Dressrosa is how he warped the nation into the antithesis of everything that defined it for 800 years.
ZekkenshinApr 25, 2022 4:12 PM
May 6, 2022 3:47 AM
Jul 2018
Great episode doflamingo seems like a true villain now
Aug 18, 2022 5:08 AM

Dec 2018
skipped as all hell. I DON'T CARE.
Feb 27, 2023 1:19 PM
Sep 2017
Doffy is the scum of the earth
Aug 19, 2023 2:04 AM
Oct 2019
Damn King Riku got set up like that..

Fck you Doflamingo 🤬
Oct 19, 2023 6:29 PM
Feb 2022
Maldito Doflamingo.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Longer running comedy gag than Sanji's "fall for every girl he sees" shtick?

GakutoDeathGlare - 8 hours ago

17 by One_Ordinary_Man »»
2 hours ago

» What is the most Over Powered DF combination (might contain spoilers if you haven't reached Dressrosa)

A1ex_Ryder - Yesterday

4 by egosumjohn »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1107 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Jun 1

43 by Eoussama »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 723 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FeelSide - Dec 19, 2015

68 by disaznstyping »»
Yesterday, 7:20 PM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 722 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LunyRem - Dec 12, 2015

53 by disaznstyping »»
Yesterday, 7:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.