Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 10, 2009 11:56 AM

Mar 2009
Oosran said:
robbydesu said:
TokyoNeonLight said:
BTW since I'm from Canada, it was funny how yet again somebody builds a log house in Canada. lol
Ditto that! I was like, the hell? LOG houses?! Since when do we have those o__o;;;..

..Unless it's like in some unknown location far up where there's less people XD
don't they have log houses in Canada!? : O NO WAY o/ I thought Canada was made out of logs >.<

I mean you can make a log house, just as you can make a glass house, but i haven't seen a single log house here, unless you go to a gift shop :P
Jul 10, 2009 11:58 AM

Jan 2009
TokyoNeonLight said:
Oosran said:
robbydesu said:
TokyoNeonLight said:
BTW since I'm from Canada, it was funny how yet again somebody builds a log house in Canada. lol
Ditto that! I was like, the hell? LOG houses?! Since when do we have those o__o;;;..

don't they have log houses in Canada!? : O NO WAY o/ I thought Canada was made out of logs >.<

I mean you can make a log house, just as you can make a glass house, but i haven't seen a single log house here, unless you go to a gift shop :P
Oh, so at least they DO have log houses, although only in the gift shops : 3
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 10, 2009 12:06 PM
Oct 2007
All I could think of was "Be careful of what you wish for."
Jul 10, 2009 12:18 PM

Jun 2009
That was good and realistic intro episode, we get to know characters and their situations before the earthquake well. Can't wait for the next one.
Jul 10, 2009 12:26 PM

Feb 2008
That Prologue looked really interesting. The backgrounds and charakter design are kinda nice.
OP & ED song are good as well. The ED reminds me a bit of the OP of Natsu no Sora.

Looking forward to more.
Jul 10, 2009 12:38 PM

Feb 2009
Wow, nice to see a show with realistic characters and interactions between them, that's not something you see in every anime these days. The family can be any one of those millions of families in Tokyo and the setting just seems believable for once. Even though I still think Mirai, being all emo, is kind of cliche. I mean she seems to be the typical teenager who hates life and I don't remember everyone around me being like that when I was her age.

Technically this show is pretty good, as expected from Bones. The character design is Bones style with some variations (funny the way they smile ^^) and it's still quite refreshing compared to other shows this season. And since it's Bones, I expect top notch animation and seeing the last scene with the earthquake, I'm not worried.

The music is nice too. I liked the one in the ED, probably my favorite this season.

Can't wait to see how this will turn out.
Jul 10, 2009 12:45 PM
Dec 2007
That was some impressive first episode. Very realistic and insightful characters with some nice developments already. And it seems like BONES found some scriptwriters for this one ;) I didn't want to watch it at all since the catactrophy series/movies most of the time end up being extremely bad, but this one certainly is not. First surprise of the season for me, I will watch the rest for sure.

On a side note, Mirai is the perfect incarnation of today's teenagers, so it's good we get to see real characters for once.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 10, 2009 1:47 PM

Apr 2009
"hmm should I watch this?"

Search: Tokyo Magnitude
Producers: Bones

yea im gonna watch all 11 episodes.

objectively tho, its very well done, realistic and very interesting.
The chick's attitude isn't exactly normal but considering the environment she grows up in, it's perfect.

looking forward to watching this and seeing how she matures (or not)
I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. It's the honest ones you have to watch out for. Honestly.
Jul 10, 2009 1:53 PM

Mar 2009
Be careful what you wish for...
Jul 10, 2009 2:06 PM

Mar 2009
Come on. Character design is not great. Everything else is pretty much perfect but not the characters.
Jul 10, 2009 3:16 PM

Aug 2008
That was awesome!! I liked the part when they were eating Cake at the table, the characters seem so natural and realistic. Everyone in town is a jerk though... I don't think I can wait till next week!
Jul 10, 2009 3:18 PM

Dec 2007
Hkizzler said:
"hmm should I watch this?"

Search: Tokyo Magnitude
Producers: Bones

yea im gonna watch all 11 episodes.

my thoughts exactly.
Jul 10, 2009 3:24 PM

Dec 2008
wow...I think i'm going to be hooked on this. Already liked the genre and this episode sealed the deal.
Jul 10, 2009 3:26 PM

Jun 2009
i think I'm gonna enjoy this series! XD
Jul 10, 2009 3:54 PM

Aug 2008
wow, that's really the kind of anime that i love. it's realistic and touching. omg, i LOVE this! AWESOME! :D
Jul 10, 2009 4:08 PM

Sep 2008
Well...
Mirai is annoying, and her "how good would it be if the world was destroyed" just before the earthquake starts was extremely cheesy and cliched. They probably did that to make her future "development" more evident, but it would've been much better if she was just a normal girl, not an emo kid. Good writers would be able to make any kind of development with any characters...too bad Bones apparently have no good writers left, judging by the crappy shows they made recently.
Though, it wasn't that bad actually. Mirai's brother is a much better character, so I hope to see more of him. The character designs are simple but nice, and the animation is decent too.

PS: I advise everyone who think this anime is great to watch Taiyo no Mokushiroku. That's a really good anime about an earthquake.
seishi-samaJul 10, 2009 4:14 PM
Jul 10, 2009 4:18 PM

Aug 2007
Jul 10, 2009 4:20 PM

Dec 2008
seishi-sama said:
PS: I advise everyone who think this anime is great to watch Taiyo no Mokushiroku. That's a really good anime about an earthquake.
I don't think people are liking this anime because it's about earthquakes per se...atleast not for me. I really like the anime so far because of the realistic characters and interactions :P But thanks for the recommendation anyways~
Jul 10, 2009 4:41 PM

Oct 2007
The show I've been looking forward the most this seasn. I love this kind of story/ movie/ situation. I enjoyed this first episode, hope it'll keep interesting.

Gunther15 said:
aero said:
I'm hooked. I like seemingly realistic character interactions.

Main girl seems kinda like a bitch though :

Pretty normal for a girl her age, I'd say.

Jul 10, 2009 4:46 PM

Jan 2009
Sawa said:
The show I've been looking forward the most this seasn. I love this kind of story/ movie/ situation. I enjoyed this first episode, hope it'll keep interesting.
hopefully, it will get interesting, didn't find much of value in the first : ( (as I DID mention before, but anyways~ : D)
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 10, 2009 4:55 PM

May 2009
That was actually pretty amazing, I was so impressed I feel exactly the same way towards the people of Earth. :D
Jul 10, 2009 5:49 PM

Dec 2007
As I was hoping, definitely a good start. Like the realism in the characters, although Mirai does get on my nerves. Looking forward to more.
Jul 10, 2009 6:13 PM

Aug 2008
I almost loved it. It's definitely the best first episode I've seen so far, with Mirai and Yuuki being really well characterized.

To those who call the characters two dimensional, I'd like to point these things out.
-Notice the look on Yuuki's face when he comes into the bedroom after his parents get home. This is clearly a little boy aware of his parents' dynamics and like any other kid, doing what he can to hold everything together.
-Notice Mirai's reaction to seeing the bridge she visited when she was little. We basically saw the icy teenage heart melt for a good bit there. Then we have her interactions with the robots and the blushing at the lady when she and Yuuki were picking out presents.

This is all very well developed writing, and a very thoughtful approach. It's wonderful to see this for a change.
Jul 10, 2009 6:14 PM

Sep 2008
I have had very high expectations for this, and i love Bones so much. And this sure delivered.

It was obvious they were going to have a calm, natural first episode. To give the realism and introduce us to the characters. But also just make it feel like it's a normal day in their lives. I think they really pulled it off. I think that this is very promising and will easily be one of (if not) the best this season. I can't wait to see the next episode.

One thing i quite enjoyed about this was that I have actually been to Odaiba. I have been to all the places they went to :). And they were well, all exactly the same as they are in real life :P. Sadly the most awesome theme park is next to that mall, and that means it will be destroyed :(!!
Jul 10, 2009 6:35 PM

Apr 2009
wow is all I can say. Compared to everything else this season, this is quite a refreshing change.

I was kinda half expecting 10 episodes of "before the quake" with the way it started out and than flashed backed. But wow right into it at the end... Can't wait to see how this develops. GO BONES!
Jul 10, 2009 6:37 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
noteDhero said:
I almost loved it. It's definitely the best first episode I've seen so far, with Mirai and Yuuki being really well characterized.

To those who call the characters two dimensional, I'd like to point these things out.
-Notice the look on Yuuki's face when he comes into the bedroom after his parents get home. This is clearly a little boy aware of his parents' dynamics and like any other kid, doing what he can to hold everything together.
-Notice Mirai's reaction to seeing the bridge she visited when she was little. We basically saw the icy teenage heart melt for a good bit there. Then we have her interactions with the robots and the blushing at the lady when she and Yuuki were picking out presents.

This is all very well developed writing, and a very thoughtful approach. It's wonderful to see this for a change.

Couldn't have agreed more. The characterization are the most realistic and I felt every dialogue was carefully written to portray the characters....

I just BEG they will keep up the good work because many series have gone downhill after the first episodes.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 10, 2009 6:41 PM

Aug 2008
Me too, Wakka.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot...I hope to all that is good that it doesn't go down the terribly melodramatic, Grave of the Fireflies route and not bother to develop Mirai.
Jul 10, 2009 6:52 PM

Apr 2009
noteDhero said:

Oh yeah, I totally forgot...I hope to all that is good that it doesn't go down the terribly melodramatic, Grave of the Fireflies route and not bother to develop Mirai.

I was just thinking the Grave of the Fireflies route... This series however has the potential to be a great drama even if it is only 11 episodes long. Given the record of Bones so far (aside from Soul Eater's ending) I think this will turn out to be a very good series.
Jul 10, 2009 7:04 PM

Jun 2007
FUCK YEAH OP song by A.b.s.!! *_* with that said...

Great first episode, loving the realistic tone it has. I sense some 'top favorite' potential :D
Jul 10, 2009 7:08 PM

Aug 2008
Omegaoveride said:
noteDhero said:

I was just thinking the Grave of the Fireflies route... This series however has the potential to be a great drama even if it is only 11 episodes long. Given the record of Bones so far (aside from Soul Eater's ending) I think this will turn out to be a very good series.

Yeah, I think 11 episodes is enough if they just want to explore Mirai's coming of age, family and loss. But if it gets a little episodic, exploring other characters, it could get a little wonky.
Jul 10, 2009 7:23 PM

May 2009
I think that it's about time that we get to see a disaster anime out now! :D So far its good.
Jul 10, 2009 7:23 PM
Oct 2007
noteDhero said:
Omegaoveride said:
noteDhero said:

Yeah, I think 11 episodes is enough if they just want to explore Mirai's coming of age, family and loss. But if it gets a little episodic, exploring other characters, it could get a little wonky.

Since you guys mention Grave of the Fireflies, I just started thinking this is somewhat similar to the beginning of A Spirited Away. (Minus the fantasy element.) Mirai is similar to Chihiro, almost the same age with a boredom and "dislike" for many things happening around her. They go somewhere "unknown", or maybe I should say somewhere away from "home", and experience something dramatic. By the end, I'm sure they'll both grow a lot.

By the way, no VA is listed for Mirai. Anyone know who voices her? She sounds a lot like Nobue from Ichigo Mashimaro. Could it be Nabatame Hitomi?
Jul 10, 2009 8:08 PM

Jan 2009
Really interesting for being a first episode, and the fact that Koh Ohtani is in the music staff makes me exited, the characters are splendid, very realistic. But Mirai pisses me off hardly, i guess shes on "that" age.

Looking forward to the next one and lol @ the tripodes.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jul 10, 2009 8:17 PM

Dec 2007
Wow. What a fantastic first episode. The characters were so real, and that included everyone down to the sniffly little kid with the ice cream.
The mouths freaked me out a little (they're huge!), but when the emphasis is on the human aspect and done so well, a little qualm about the animation is nothing. I hope the series continues to be so great.

When the earthquake hit it really did scare me. As I live in Tokyo and everything about the art was so accurate, seeing it all get destroyed like that made me gasp. They say we're long overdue the "big one"...
Jul 10, 2009 8:25 PM

Jul 2009
Finally Disaster Animes. It looks pretty interesting so I'm gonna continue watching. A bit of a cliff hanger though. I wish the quake started somewhere in the middle of the episode so we can see just a little more of what happened
Jul 10, 2009 8:27 PM

May 2008
Yuuki is a nice kid hehe, first time i got agitated at an earthquake

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jul 10, 2009 8:42 PM

Sep 2008
robbydesu said:
TokyoNeonLight said:

anime and their references..

although if they were all true that would be kinda funny... :P
Jul 10, 2009 9:06 PM

Jul 2008
I don't like the girl but I don't think you're supposed to like her at first.
She probably changes or something.
Her brother, Yuuki, is my favorite.
He has a niiiice laugh.
Jul 10, 2009 9:21 PM

Sep 2008
This was the only series I was looking forward to this season.

Solid start, also needs to be called 'Death Phone.'

p.s. judging from the ED looks like the little brother makes it and so does the Tiger motorcycle lady, they're a new family!
melJul 10, 2009 9:24 PM
Jul 10, 2009 9:21 PM

Mar 2008
cyruz said:
That was refreshingly different and realistic. Love it how people complain about unrealistic characters and then complain even more when they're given some. Gotta love the anime community.

Lol very true. Cheers for realism and yes! disaster animes, hopefully without degenerating into mechafests

Jul 10, 2009 9:52 PM

Jul 2008
I live in California. I'm scared. Great episode, probably will be the best of the season.

Yuuki is so cute! I hope he doesn't die.
Jul 10, 2009 10:00 PM
Jan 2009
:/ It seems people are mixed on Mirai's un/realistic personality... I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't act much different at that age, especially when I was made to take my younger brothers somewhere. 'I refuse to have fun doing something I was made to do. So there.' XD So while it was annoying, I could understand it.

I'm neutral on the OP and Ed songs, but I have high hopes for this~ (I can't wait to see more of the earthquake in action~)
Jul 10, 2009 10:17 PM

Oct 2007
slightly boring but it was a nice setup, this show has a lot of potential depending on what route it takes
Jul 10, 2009 10:37 PM

Jun 2007
Great first episode, I really enjoyed it! Mirai is an interesting character; it's nice to see a realistic teenager (especially since she almost doesn't quite seem to understand why she's so angry at everyone), and I'm looking forward to seeing her develop.
Jul 11, 2009 12:40 AM

May 2008
cyruz said:
That was refreshingly different and realistic. Love it how people complain about unrealistic characters and then complain even more when they're given some. Gotta love the anime community.

Anyway, this should be really interesting. Looking forward to the next episode.

Funny how they named her Mirai. As if she could influence what happens, with her little blog. :D
This exactly.

I am interesting in this series i liked how it started.
Jul 11, 2009 12:48 AM

Sep 2008
robbydesu said:
seishi-sama said:
I don't think people are liking this anime because it's about earthquakes per se...atleast not for me. I really like the anime so far because of the realistic characters and interactions :P But thanks for the recommendation anyways~

I recommend it not just because it's an anime about an earthquake, but because it's over 9000 times better anime about an earthquake than Tokyo Magnitude.
Jul 11, 2009 2:02 AM

Dec 2008
seishi-sama said:
robbydesu said:
seishi-sama said:

I recommend it not just because it's an anime about an earthquake, but because it's over 9000 times better anime about an earthquake than Tokyo Magnitude.
You're comparing an OVA to the first episode of an anime o___o;;;....
Jul 11, 2009 2:05 AM

Jan 2008
OMG.. when the earthquake started the first thing came to my mind "i don't want to be in her place"
it seems pretty scary.. and very realistic..
Love this anime.. hope it keeps on on the good side..

Jul 11, 2009 2:21 AM

Jan 2008
Hope his little brother didn't die. The OP was terrible, but the ED was really good.
Jul 11, 2009 2:47 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
ntHai said:
Hope his little brother didn't die.

*her brother (:

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

wakka9ca - Aug 7, 2009

144 by hafizo_kurosaki »»
Jan 25, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kashim - Sep 17, 2009

506 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 11:11 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Sporkness - Sep 10, 2009

214 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:42 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UnknownFact - Sep 4, 2009

134 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:05 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Aug 27, 2009

180 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.