Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 22, 2007 12:01 PM

Jun 2007
This episode was amazing, I just want to show it to everybody. I love how artistic and powerful it was. I still like Clannad better because it has more comedy and I like the Fuko arc, (never seen Kanon.)

Nov 22, 2007 12:46 PM
Oct 2007
wow, someone went off the deep end straight into crazy bitch land
Nov 22, 2007 1:20 PM

Jun 2007
hmm, this episode was really amazing, like always
but it made me kind of sad seeing miyako suffer...

the first half with renji and chihiro kinda touched me too, but not that much.
seeing chihiro be forgetting about renji little by little (yeah, because of the memory disease, but renji felt like she wasnt paying that much attention to him anymore) the animation for renji's mind breakdown was really awesome. cant wait till i see the next episode.

for the second half, i think it was really well made, miya's past reveals a lot of why she was acting that way when kei told her about she dissapearing from hiro's heart.
the way they did it was extremely brilliant, and hearing miya cry was probably one of the things that hit me the hardest...

by the end... i pretty much agree with whoever said that kei is officially a b**tch for me... since she really acted that way....

gomen kei fans, but i really disliked her a lot... what she did was just wrong...
Nov 22, 2007 3:02 PM

Oct 2007
Wow, a very deeply emotional episode. I loved how all the artwork and emotions were depicted. It was soo painful though both with Renji and with Miyako. It almost felt like pins were being driven into your heart, one-by-one, as the episode progress, until it made you feel like breaking down yourself.

As for Miyako, I guess some of my earlier hypothesizes were correct. I knew there was something wrong with her family. Just watching that scene was so painful though. It felt so empty....so void of life, even to the point where all color and sounds disappeared. The scene with the messages was the most intense of all. As message after message, you began feeling from sadness and despair to pent up anger and rage. Damn that Hiro, damn Kei. Perhaps it's wrong to blame either of them for anything, but you can't help but want to direct your rage somewhere. It was just too sad watching Miyako breaking down like that.

As for those who say how this anime tops Clannad, sadly to say, I have to agree. I am a big KyoAni fan, but this entire series is something else. So far the plot, the music, the artwork, all of it is at the top of its ranks. Pure 10's. I have never seen such an innovation of artwork before. The colors, the sounds, the emotion...purely gorgeous.
Nov 22, 2007 3:17 PM

Oct 2007
I personally thought this was the worst episode so far and even though I said that, this still was an amazing episode. I didn't like it that much due to the lack of effort put into it however the different methods in which the character's emotions were portrayed were on a completely different level.

Well I need to start considering whether I should increase my score from 8/10 to 9/10 ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 22, 2007 5:31 PM

Jul 2007
This episode was just wow. Watching it made me speechless because of all the emotion and feeling it sent.
I really understand how Miyako feels now. It has made me extremely sympathetic for her. The way her family broke down, and now she was breaking down with every message. And even though it was all stills, the effect was amazing.
Watching Renji breakdown really pierced my heart. I want him and Chihiro to just be together, but the possibility of that happening as she continues writing her own story just goes down. The breakdown was done incredibly well, and made me almost cry.
This is definetly the best show of the season in every category. Music, animation, plot, characters, everything is just total win.
Nov 22, 2007 6:12 PM

Jun 2007
This episode was AMAZING! That totally took me off guard and also left me with allot of wtfs. The whole part with the "camera static" scene was weird and confusing. Every time that happened I lost my train of thought and couldn't comprehend what was being said lol. Although there was one part where it was like the tables where turned and Renji was the one who had the memory problem. I'm still trying to figure out what the fuck happened lol.

I hope Miyako doesn't kill her self. At the end of the whole messages it sounded like she was starting to get desperate and to the point of suicide. If would suck if the next ep we don't see her come to school and then after a few days whats his face goes to visit her and finds her dead. That would totally be fucked up.
Nov 22, 2007 10:12 PM
Oct 2007
Strangely enough, I found myself comparing ef to the later episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion (and The End of Evangelion).

As for what I think of the ef series so far/this episode: Wow.
moo
Nov 23, 2007 1:52 PM

Nov 2007
great episode, but i didnt understand why renji-kun didnt kiss chihiro and freaked out when chihiro asked him to. why? what was going on?? and i really hope miyako doesnt get hurt even more on the next episode...

ef vs clannad?
hmm well i love everything from kyoAni, and clannad is really a masterpiece, but i think i am enjoying ef more than clannad right now, ive never seen anything like ef before, its just amazing. i cant say for sure which 1 is better untill i complete both series
yuichii2Nov 23, 2007 2:09 PM

Nov 23, 2007 2:11 PM

Jul 2007
I think it's been explained already,but to reiterate the short story is that Renji has realised that Chihiro's feelings don't fit the traditional mold, and he feels that it is just wrong (the romantic viewpoint). He wants to work it out with Chihiro rather than scare her away, but in the end he scares her away anyways, (perhaps because of a misunderstanding or because Chihiro doesn't want to face the truth, or just an over-reaction at Renji's hesitations).

Edited for typos, and grammar.
asandariNov 24, 2007 9:54 AM
Nov 24, 2007 7:20 AM

Apr 2007
yuichii2 said:
great episode, but i didnt understand why renji-kun didnt kiss chihiro and freaked out when chihiro asked him to. why? what was going on?? and i really hope miyako doesnt get hurt even more on the next episode...

Chihiro doesn't really show signs of liking him back. From the beginning up to now, Chihiro has remained static in regards to her feelings towards Renji, who ended up falling in love with her. He even felt hurt about the fact that she can't even remember something important that he had told her before. Although he understands the situation she's in, living it is a completely different thing. Of course he wanted to kiss her, but she said it like it was just something that 'should happen', and not because she shared his feelings. "We've gone through a lot, so I think it's time for us to be lovers." Although Renji's helping her and spending time with her, Chihiro is still "the only remaining human in an island."
Nov 24, 2007 4:28 PM

Aug 2007
I believe Renji freaked out because he finally realized why he was warned about having a relationship with Chihiro. Himura told Renji not to get too involved with Chihiro, which Renji just ignored. Then enter episode 7 in which she makes her 'confession' to him.

The confession had just as much emotion as a robot. His reaction (more like internal monologue) was a bit exaggerated, but I guess that's what he gets when his naiveness of the situation comes crashing down on him.

Love the fact that he was hoping Chihiro wouldn't write what happened in her diary. I'm not smart enough to illiterate the whole thing, but the folks at animesuki are having a heated debate over this and the MiyaMiya thing =P
Nov 25, 2007 6:19 AM

Apr 2007
PimpToad said:
I'm not smart enough to illiterate the whole thing, but the folks at animesuki are having a heated debate over this and the MiyaMiya thing =P

I saw that, I felt a little bit stupid while reading it XD
Nov 25, 2007 8:03 AM

Jul 2007
If only I still had time to read animesuki debates :(
Nov 25, 2007 10:36 AM

Jun 2007
Holly crap i hope Kei DIEEEES!!!
Poor Miyako! her msg's made me feel so sad T__T

Nov 25, 2007 10:48 AM

Jun 2007
This episode was amazing! I just watched it and almost started crying out of frustration for Miyako because he wasn't picking up! Right now, I have a feeling of hatred for Kei because she deleted all of the voicemails! This episode was so psychological and I have to say it scared me a bit. I usually don't pick up my phone, but now, hand on heart, I will answer calls as much as possible!!!!
Nov 26, 2007 9:43 AM

Sep 2007
I really liked how they showed Renji's thoughts with that kind of animation; it just made the situation that much more heartwrenching. And same for Miyako too. I'm really not liking Kei because she deleted all that. Sure she said she was going to erase Miyako from Hiro's heart but this is quite the vicious way. I hope ep 8 comes out subbed really soon.
Nov 26, 2007 12:50 PM

Aug 2007
AngelLily said:
PimpToad said:
I'm not smart enough to illiterate the whole thing, but the folks at animesuki are having a heated debate over this and the MiyaMiya thing =P

I saw that, I felt a little bit stupid while reading it XD

Basic gist of the whole thing comes down to people comparing anime situations to real life ones, which is a no-no when it comes to the world of fiction.

*patiently waiting for ef episode 8*
Nov 26, 2007 4:21 PM

Dec 2006
having lived through something very similar to the kei/miyako thing i'm really getting into this anime now. i noticed miyako's seiyuu hasn't done much other stuff which surprised me. i'm sure she will be getting plenty of offers for work now. added miyako to faves, first new addition since nia (watched gl while it was airing for the most part).

edit: i just remembered ... while watching the second half i kept thinking "everyone else is going to hate this," so i was really surprised to see that most everyone else loved it, too.
Nov 26, 2007 5:15 PM

Jul 2007
protoman96 said:
having lived through something very similar to the kei/miyako thing i'm really getting into this anime now. i noticed miyako's seiyuu hasn't done much other stuff which surprised me. i'm sure she will be getting plenty of offers for work now. added miyako to faves, first new addition since nia (watched gl while it was airing for the most part).

edit: i just remembered ... while watching the second half i kept thinking "everyone else is going to hate this," so i was really surprised to see that most everyone else loved it, too.

I was also surprised at the support it received... xD
I still wonder why everyone dislikes the NGE series ending so much...
Nov 29, 2007 10:02 PM

Apr 2007
candelina said:
MM805 said:
I only have two words to say...

Holy, shit. O_O
and now i'm left with nothing to say O_O
Censored_Vagina said:
Episode 7 brought this from "one of the best this season" to "one of the best this year". Hopefully the drama keeps coming. It really hits the fan in this episode.
Orb said:
After this episode, I went and added this anime to favorites.

I don't do it very often. :)

Holy Shit!. So in my top 5, heck, if it keeps up like this it could even break into the almighty godly top 3 anime of mine. This was a complete masterpiece, beyond even... It was just amazing
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2007 7:09 AM

Aug 2007
WTF ?!

o.O

Dec 12, 2007 8:11 PM

Nov 2007
Wow.. I'm just moved. This form of storytelling, unafraid of criticism or censorship ... deserves tons of praise.

Someone posted earlier about how Miyako's successive calls do reflect natural human reaction to those kinds of situations. Humor to confusion to anger to concern to doubt to confusion again to panic to fear to despair.

Goodness, I'm supposed to be watching anime to feel happy after finishing my finals, but yet I want more of this.
Dec 16, 2007 4:31 AM

Oct 2007
The last 8 minutes were just fucking amazing, I take my hat of to SHAFT.
Dec 17, 2007 10:51 PM

Feb 2007
SHAFT are gods. Episode 7's final 8 minutes was the most intense drama scene I have seen. EVER. I've still got Episodes 8-10 left to watch today, as well.
Dec 29, 2007 10:57 AM

Jul 2007
asandari said:
Simply, amazing...

I also now have a reason to believe miyako may deserve him. xD

i SOOO fucking agree... Simply A-M-A-Z-I-N-G
Dec 30, 2007 8:41 PM

Oct 2007
okay so i usually read all the posts in these threads but there are too many.. haha

like everyone has said, this episode was just downright amazing. The breakdown of renji was heartbreaking (for me, since i love renji and chihiro, and i really was hoping he would be able to 'save' her)

but then miyako's breakdown was just fantastic. i thought that miyako was an annoying girl but this episode changed my opinion of her entirely. i like her so much better than kei now, and her breakdown was so intense it gave me the chills (i loved how they did it with the text and everything. so intense)

oh, and keis a bitch. first she tries to steal hiro away from chihiro because she's 'jealous' and then erasing all of miyakos messages? ahhh.. she doesnt even deserve to end up with the movie filming guy at this point.
Jan 6, 2008 3:53 PM

Jul 2007
Wow great episode, I felt bad for Renji and Chihiro since things seemed to be progressing with their relationship up until this episode.
And Miyako's emotional breakdown at the end with all those calls was freaky and intense.
Jan 11, 2008 2:52 PM

Nov 2007
Wow......that was tense. Almost cried. When she deleted the messages I told myself "god damn that was mean......really mean"
Jan 24, 2008 9:56 AM

Mar 2005
...i hate being the guy who has to disagree with everyone especially when we're talking about a romantic drama of eroge roots like ef since I'm the type of guy who likes this kind of show but...

This episode came out across to me as fake more than anything. I really hate to say it and I really tried to "get" this show, and I do get it and what it's trying to get across. I dunno though I think something may have been lost in adaptation from the game but anyway...

the most serious gripe I have is Miyako's breakdown. I agree that SHAFT did do a great job of getting the desperation across, and actually created quite a chilly tone showing that entire scene. However, here's the problem. We STILL don't have much of a background on Miyako other than the fact that she's somehow "disappeared" before. We don't know why it's happening, or why it happened. As far as Hirono standing her up, it's not like he didn't do it to Kei before either but Kei didn't exactly go berserk. And jeez come on, I can't believe people are saying they can actually relate to Miyako's situation! Who the hell leaves 99 messages?! If you call someone a few times and they don't pick up, who in their right mind would keep on calling them in a span of a few hours (and it was a few hours, how long could it have taken to pick up Kei anyway?). Any reasonable person would just assume the other guy turned his phone off or left it lying around somewhere, no one would be like "you're ignoring me! ZOMG!" so yea, seriously I don't know what Miyako's situation is but I can't exactly sympathize because THEY HAVEN'T SHOWED WHAT THE DEAL IS! You can't just inject a desperate situation here where desperation was not called for like ef did and expect me to sympathize with Miyako (oh, how sad...no wait, this is stupid, it's a voicemail box dammit). And yea, that was really lame of Kei to delete the messages, but I really don't hate Kei as much as everyone else seems to be because I think what she does is understandable in her situation for the most part.

As for Renji's situation, all of could think of was "wow, you idiot you didn't realize this until the worst possible moment? now you made Chihiro cry, gg. You deserve to have her write you out of her diary." I mean seriously Chihiro cried, so her feelings weren't completely empty, she's doing the best she could with the memory she has, and I was just pissed at Renji for having his "epiphany" at Chihiro's expense right there.

Well, all this aside the episode was very well done anyway, got a lot of creepy overtones across. So bumping up the score to a 6 for now (yea yea boo at me).
Jan 25, 2008 4:48 PM

Dec 2007
DAMN! This episode is NOT for the weak of heart. I'm actually feeling uneasy when I recall Miyako's voice halfway through the final scene and beyond: I get a shivery sensation on the sides of my face and down my spine. This certainly is the first time I've felt this O_O
Maybe I unwillingly accentuated the shock because I didn't see it coming at all. I thought she would only become sadder and quieter until she gave up calling him, but instead she only became more and more desperate and unstably alternated shouting and speaking quietly yet just as desperately. The music escalated undescribably well with the messages. There were so many negative emotions at once... her sadness, anger, confusion, loneliness and hopelessness added up in a way that I'm still a bit overwhelmed. Even after all that, there were the images of her state of mind in the ending... the damn part where she tries to open the door finally made me crack T_T

This is certainly something unique... I got caught by suprise and now I feel scared >_<

Kemonomimi Shoujo, a site dedicated to beautiful nekomimis, inumimis, kitsunemimis, usagimimis and more! Check out the club, too!
Feb 8, 2008 10:42 AM

Oct 2007
Kei is a Bitc... um curse word for female dog.
Feb 16, 2008 12:41 PM

Feb 2008
Oh my God, this episode so damn good. The part with Miyako's phone calls was so intense (yet, I think they shouldn't have putted so many).
At first I thought this anime was going to be one of the best from the Fall Season, but after this episode, I think it might run for Best Anime of the year.
Feb 16, 2008 6:41 PM
Oct 2007
Hang in there Miyako...
Feb 29, 2008 4:24 AM

Feb 2008
It is freaking sick!!!!!! It is a hard anime!!! It is strong awesome anime!!!! Ive realized that I love it!!! after first episode 7, now 10 out of 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 15, 2008 5:52 PM

Feb 2008
Hehehehe! I'll just laugh with enjoyment in this episode. It's really BRILLIANT! I'm making it now to my fave anime. Although, I've just put 3 animes.
Apr 6, 2008 7:07 AM

Apr 2007
Best episode by far. As many people have said, I also felt chills while watching. Renji's rejection of Chihiro came at such a horrible moment. How she'll react from here on out should be interesting due to her memory. If she writes anything negative in her diary he could end up screwed from this.

And as for Miyako's scene, wow. I don't think I can say much more that hasn't been already covered. Bravo SHAFT, bravo.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Apr 6, 2008 11:24 AM

Jan 2008
I've seen the whole series twice now, and both times, this episode hit me the most.

The first time watching, Miyako's scene really hit me, but not Renji's.

The second time, I noticed that just before Renji's breakdown, it showed Chihori standing there telling him without a book, and then it changed to her just reading it all out of the diary, and I understood what the breakdown actually meant. I hadn't noticed this first time round, and I was just confused.

And then I was hit again in Miyako's! Even though I knew it was coming...

This episode is so damn powerful!
<3
Apr 18, 2008 2:44 PM

Nov 2007
OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Worst mental breakdown ever. This show manages to get worse and worse with each episode. Terrible, emotionally unrealistic otakubait.
May 13, 2008 1:06 AM

Mar 2007
This episode was pure FAIL. The thing with the 90+ phone messages was the most annoying thing I've ever seen. Seriously, I was so relieved when it was finally over. This episode made the rating go from an 8 to a 4. Even after seeing this horrible episode I managed to complete this seris(about a few months ago). This is what I have to say now: the animation is the only good thing about this seris.
kirAth-shiAueMay 13, 2008 11:37 AM
May 13, 2008 8:23 AM

May 2008
I am up to episode 9 right now, but form what i have seen so far it is magnificent. I think there is lots of in depth themes and in order to understand this anime you must analyze it very carefully. This anime is not for people who wants pure action and wants everything spelled out for them like an open book.

May 14, 2008 3:45 AM

Mar 2008
hey88 said:
I am up to episode 9 right now, but form what i have seen so far it is magnificent. I think there is lots of in depth themes and in order to understand this anime you must analyze it very carefully. This anime is not for people who wants pure action and wants everything spelled out for them like an open book.

Yeah, it's a series that actually requires you to think, which obviously isn't for everyone.
kei-clone said:
We STILL don't have much of a background on Miyako other than the fact that she's somehow "disappeared" before. We don't know why it's happening, or why it happened.

I'm sorry, but I lol'd.
Just about everything one would need to know about Miyako's past

was explained in this episode.
May 14, 2008 11:35 AM

Nov 2007
qtipbrit92 said:
hey88 said:

Yeah, it's a series that actually requires you to think, which obviously isn't for everyone.

LOL, yea ef~ sure is some DEEP stuff.
May 14, 2008 12:08 PM

Nov 2007
No. It's the worst attempt at serious romantic drama I've ever seen. It's no depth and all pretense, and has zero actual emotional realism.

Go watch some quality French films or something.
May 14, 2008 6:44 PM

Mar 2008
Astaroth said:
LOL, yea ef~ sure is some DEEP stuff.

Most of the symbolism and allegories are pretty blatant: the rooftop, colour tones, the basketball, the diary, the novel, the manga, books of any sort, etc.
Or my personal favourite:

kasumisama said:
No. It's the worst attempt at serious romantic drama I've ever seen. It's no depth and all pretense, and has zero actual emotional realism. (let's not start with the chains and the circle.)

Go watch some quality French films or something.

Oh yeah, I watched Elfen Lied for the gore and nudity, too!
: D
May 14, 2008 10:18 PM

Nov 2007
qtipbrit92 said:
mbolism and allegories are pretty blatant: the rooftop, colour tones, the basketball, the diary, the novel, the manga, books of any sort, etc.

PROTIP: When attempting to integrate symbolism into your visual media, make sure that you're not doing it with all the subtlety and grace of a wrecking ball. Also make sure that your characters are well-constructed and don't have development based entirely on shopworn cliche.
May 14, 2008 11:08 PM

Mar 2008
kasumisama said:
PROTIP: When attempting to integrate symbolism into your visual media, make sure that you're not doing it with all the subtlety and grace of a wrecking ball. Also make sure that your characters are well-constructed and don't have development based entirely on shopworn cliche.

qtipbrit92 said:
Most of the symbolism and allegories are pretty blatant:
: D

Methinks you missed something.

Of course, most people watch anime on a superficial level, so they don't even catch most of the stuff SHAFT just laid out in front of them.
It makes me lol @ how well recognised the anime is with only half of the people actually paying attention.

I agree that if it was just a typical romance VN adaptation, it would have just been a failed experiment on SHAFT's part.
May 21, 2008 2:56 PM

Dec 2007
Brilliant, Renji is finally realizing that a relationship with Chihiro is pretty much impossible. She's no different than a character from a book, she just goes by what the written story tells her to do. The part with Miyako making all of the phone calls was a little longer than it should have been but it did a good job of showing her break down as time went on.

#NBHNC
May 23, 2008 12:19 AM

Jul 2007
I've been greatly enjoying this series over the past few days, but this just threw it over the top for me. If it can stay at this pace the rest of the way throught or possibly excel it, this is easily going to be one of my top 25.

Though I haven't felt the need to comment on other episodes, this one is special. Miyako's 99 messages was a terrific blend of sadness and terror and one of the most wholly uncomfortable moments for me watching anime. The visuals of the text piling and overlapping until the entire screen went black, Miyako's increasing paranoia and resulting mood swings. This is the stuff that storywriters dream of writing.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
May 26, 2008 6:43 PM

Jan 2008
The message rant was really intense... somewhat long but intense
I went from feeling sorry for her to being frightened along with her
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Popularity of this show?? For people who watched when it came out

kcvthewrld - Sep 8, 2023

6 by flomu »»
Nov 27, 2023 12:52 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

radiantfire - Dec 22, 2007

332 by salarx »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:59 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

dancu - Dec 12, 2007

196 by AaronPvP »»
Aug 19, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

radiantfire - Dec 17, 2007

195 by FarCritical »»
May 5, 2023 8:08 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Dec 4, 2007

185 by FarCritical »»
May 5, 2023 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.