Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 28, 2013 11:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
INTENSE.

I knew two Fog Battleships would of been hard to deal with but damn. The CGI felt a bit awkward to watch but the impact was intense. Haruna was pretty badass.

That was some battle though.
Oct 28, 2013 1:06 PM

Aug 2010
Wow! That was so awesome! :D
The action and tactics were intense!! ^^
Loved Dem strategic counterattacks. Gunzou and the crew are really fun ^^

Dat Kirishima!! Dat Body *A*...HOT! She had quite a few personality issues though lol. Too bad she's gone :(
And damn! Haruna was hiding such a Dynamite body under her dress XD...I thought she was a loli but boy was I wrong XD
Oct 28, 2013 1:15 PM

Mar 2012
Oh man that was epic the fight scenes were terrific and the Cgi Has improved a lot from the first ep

Although i recon some of people are going to be disappointed because of a certain important ship and important characters were not shown from the manga. me being one as well although for some strange reason it is not affecting me as such as i thought it would

Cmon Funimation, Sentai anybody license this show already its one i defiantly want for my collection pls :(
-ShadowClaw-Oct 28, 2013 1:19 PM
Oct 28, 2013 1:27 PM

Oct 2008
yeaaa.... it just seemed like they were too lazy to animate the hakugei. other wise great episode.

Oct 28, 2013 1:50 PM

May 2012
Intense battle! So much explosions and strategies. Like how the battle played out. Just when you think it's over. Boom. A missile comes out of no where. Loved how the battled ships blew up. Very realistic. Haruna reminds me of Golden Darkness and Kirishima. She had a body and an ass. To bad she's dead. Wonder how Kongou will take the news. Hope the crew get some down time after this.

Haruna has great taste in underwear.
Oct 28, 2013 2:03 PM
Dec 2012
It was fresh to see a submarine running through a town. I chuckled when Kirishima dodged missiles by hand. Looked like Haruna learned about a fear of death. Is kirishima dead?

It's fun to see their character development episode by episode.
Oct 28, 2013 2:06 PM
Nov 2012
Bill-Oddie Internet problems means I have to resort to a lower screen resolution for my viewing (360p vs my usual 1080p.....and its 4 in the morning!!!). So we have more or less at this point established the fact that it wont be loyaly following the manga, which I find it good as it will raise my anticipation higher, but I will get to that.

Awesome episode.....back in World War II and periods before, Battleship was the ultimate symbol of military might like how the Nuclear Bomb is today, and we see here a fine demonstration on what two Battlecruiser-modded-to-Fast Battleship can really do, well with much more sci-fi. But it does really demonstrate the fear of this big masses of steel and fire.

So Hakugei(human SuperSub in the manga) is not showing, it became apperent in the middle of the episode as in the manga, it was absobelutely vital to the sinking of the two Kongou's sisters. It put me back into anticipation mode to see how I-401 can survive that piece of crap storm it got into. Made me laugh how Gunzou was staring at the what is the final ccount sequence of a point blank shot by Aperggio's very own Death Starcan remain so optimistic

Animation, cant tell much(with 360p), but looks to me that the battleship's transformation looks awesome, espacially the way the BIG 14" turns into a railgun. The BGM is definitely awesome and so is the sound effect(could be anime sound effect of the year). All in all a very awesome and thrilling episode, and they even thrown in pre-dreadnought Mikasa there for the touch (wonder if there is a Fog ship rresembling it?), yeah Mikasa is in Real live, a Battleship museume in Yokosuka.
(10/10)

So no Hakugei, kinda piss me off, but now in episode 4, there is a large majority of the cast(certainly human cast missing) I don't mind that, most of them have politics in mind and too much politics is kinda bad and confusing, a problem I have with the Manga. But if there is no Yamato, and I swear there will be a Corrosive Torpedo on the directors house, she and her sister are vital components to the original story(Chihaya Gunzou's life, but this part already deviates from the manga since ep1) and them not showing will be a blesphemy, you missed out on two of the biggest Super-Battleship ever existed, not cool. And since there is deviation from the manga and no Hakugei, can we see a certain Heavy cruiser surviving a certain U-boat wolf pack....PLEASE I want that to happen.
Jyuu-niDesuOct 28, 2013 2:13 PM
Oct 28, 2013 2:23 PM

Jan 2013
This episode was amazing!
Oct 28, 2013 2:42 PM

Sep 2013
Well that wall didn't last long.

Whenever the super gravity canons are used the fights get really strange.

So the little girl found Haruna who managed to save Kirishima's mental core. I'm surprised Haruna is still alive even though her body was destroyed.

That is one odd end card.
Oct 28, 2013 2:49 PM

Aug 2008
Wow, I'm really curious what kind of a mess will come out of the story later if they decided to remove Hakugei. I guess they can just make up rest of the story already and wrap this up in these 12 episodes.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 28, 2013 3:19 PM

Apr 2010
A battle against two battle cruisers and a very exciting one at that it was also different from the manga this time and i really liked it, there where many similarities tho.
Kirishima took to much rusk and Haruna followed despite her calm judgement, it was obvious Kisishima did most of the fighting here and let herself be tempted most by Chihiya's tactics.
The ending of the fight was surprising.

The ending of the episode was like in the manga and looking forward to next week already with the things that are to come.
Oct 28, 2013 3:26 PM

Aug 2013
So thats whats under that coat....
My Candies:
Oct 28, 2013 3:30 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Even after all that Evangelion, I don't think I've seen an explosion like this before.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 28, 2013 3:33 PM

May 2011
That was pretty epic CG there. I knew what was under coat but Haruna body animated was nice ^^ so no Hakugei this episode? but the rest was awesome so I can forgive. Need MOAR Takao!
Oct 28, 2013 3:42 PM

Feb 2013
I thought that was spectacular. cgi use getting better and better since first episode. Getting a little interested in reading the manga too, after this episode.
Oct 28, 2013 3:45 PM

Apr 2013
Shame about Kirishima. She was a total babe.
Oct 28, 2013 3:50 PM

May 2011
It was an Epic fight. I'm loving these fight sequences. CG graphics don't bother me at all. Actually i think they make the battles scenes more fluid and robust.

In one respect it was nice of them to change the story a bit. Outside of the final outcome i didn't know what was going to happen. It deviated greatly from the manga.

The down side of the is that the anime is cutting out a lot of the manga storyline. Otaku really don't like it when you do that. I don't know why they're doing this. save money perhaps.

I highly recommend the anime watcher to read the manga. I think the plot has a lot more substance the anime is showing.

Even though i think the manga storyline is better I'm still enjoying the anime.
Oct 28, 2013 4:16 PM

May 2013
Nice battle. Caught me off guard a bit seeing Haruna half naked in the end.
Oct 28, 2013 5:19 PM

Jul 2009
haha why is she in her undies in the end. how does that even make any sense.
man i wish the chars werent in 3d models. shouldve did it like the machine doll anime - a mixture of 3d/animation.
Oct 28, 2013 5:33 PM

Aug 2012
Submarine harem was awesome this weak again. I'm loving the fight sequences.

Oct 28, 2013 5:40 PM

Feb 2008
its really unfortunate that they changed so much. i think they are humanizing the fog too much. but this works too.
Oct 28, 2013 5:52 PM
Aug 2013
Good episode I really enjoyed all the plans the captain had to make.
Oct 28, 2013 6:33 PM

Jan 2011
cyruz said:
Even after all that Evangelion, I don't think I've seen an explosion like this before.

aaahahahaha, now that you have mentioned it. xD

pretty good cgi btw. most of the time i didnt really notice it or better say i didnt care about that its cgi. there are far worse cgi movies and stuff out there i think.
Oct 28, 2013 6:34 PM

May 2012
Intense episode.. love it.
Oct 28, 2013 6:49 PM
Oct 2012
kisami said:
its really unfortunate that they changed so much. i think they are humanizing the fog too much. but this works too.

I actually like the way they have dealt with this. From what I have gathered the Fog Ships had been floating through space without form or substance, needing someone to give them direction. The have been given this, and in doing so have adopted human form to carry out their mission. However from being pure intellect the addition of bodies has also caused them to develop emotions, which comes out in different ways.

In this episode Haruna had an interest in learning new words in order to gleam the meaning behind them, though she could not understand. She did notice though that Kirishima couldn't control her own emotions, and though Kirishima berated Iona for "joining the humans" in may ways she had already corrupted herself (which led to her defeat).

I brought this up an episode or two ago with Takao. Fog ships worship one thing, efficiency (through victory), coming up against someone who shatters their world view is transformational. I am sure you have know teenagers who, when they encounter something outside of their narrow world view (usually at university), all of a sudden change from being straight laced kids to one's who join cults/communes, or get into drugs, or whatever. That is what is happening to the Fog ships. The one's who lose have it happen faster since they have had their reality stripped from them so suddenly.
Oct 28, 2013 7:05 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Kirishima was a pretty crazy one, and in the end she was afraid of being destroyed. They all underestimated the humans, or how Iona has a captain, and it's unfortunate for them :/ That was a great battle to watch, and especially seeing the mental models and their views on things. And that last scene...Haruna in her underwear?
Oct 28, 2013 7:12 PM

Nov 2012
Not because of how good she looked in her underwear at the end, but I really like Haruna, she is quite an interesting character.
Oct 28, 2013 7:23 PM

Sep 2013
I wished both of them would join Gunzou's submarine D:
-

I've always... always been watching you... This whole time... Because you were there... That's why I was able to try hard. So you could have some balance! So you wouldn't treat me like a kid! So you would see me as an actual girl! Even while you were gone... You were right here! You were right here in my heart!
Oct 28, 2013 7:33 PM
Oct 2012
Damn, I missed a brilliant piece of writing. When both battleships were tracking 401, just after Kirishima did her great "we are only weapon speech" (looking awesome I should add), when they were attacked by the first torpedo, they did an image scan ahead to what they thought was 401, they thought this because the sonar read "nano material" (in reverse mirror image). They were about to destroy it, but that was when 401 surprised them from attacking from the rear.

The short of it is 8 minutes later when 401 launched the winning blow against both ships, it was from that "nano material" (i.e. the launcher). Perfect foreshadowing there. They showed that 401 had left something behind, but because there was so much excitement immediately after (not to mention 1st class fanservice), we forgot about this detail when the final attack occurred. That is good writing. i's dotted and t's crossed. Excellent.
Oct 28, 2013 7:50 PM

Jun 2013
The CG really makes the battle scenes look and feel amazing. I can't get enough of all the tactics that Gunzou comes up with in such a short amount of time.

Also, random fan service at the end lol.
Oct 28, 2013 8:14 PM

Aug 2013
That was really good. I feel bad for Hakugei haha. Well we only have 12 episodes so I guess they want to just focus the action on 1 ship.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 28, 2013 8:53 PM

May 2012
This show is so good
It was almost biblical when Haruna and Kirishima split open the sea
Only to get totally pumped by that sly missile
Totally awesome episode, even better than the battle with Takao
Oct 28, 2013 9:15 PM
Nov 2010
I was bit disappointed that they didn't follow the manga here but overall the battle was intense. That ending....

The anime's cg seems like it's getting better and better. It did seem like star wars. xD THe music and the cataclysmic explosion was awesome.
Oct 28, 2013 9:27 PM

Aug 2010
Disappointing how it didn't follow the manga properly, really would have liked to see the Hakugei.

Other than that pretty decent
Oct 28, 2013 9:28 PM
Oct 2012
yngtadpole said:
I was bit disappointed that they didn't follow the manga here but overall the battle was intense. That ending....

The anime's cg seems like it's getting better and better. It did seem like star wars. xD THe music and the cataclysmic explosion was awesome.

I haven't read the manga, but from what people here have hinted at, I think they shuffled the episodes to allow for a simpler, linear, story line, which over all, is a good idea to introduce people who are watching the animation as an introduction. We see the MC's skills up front, the development of Fog ships before getting too deep into the background, plus some awesome battle scenes to drag us laggards into the show. Now they can spend a couple of episodes doing characters because we have been sated by this episodes battle scenes.
Oct 28, 2013 9:42 PM

Jul 2010
Why is Kirishima so perfect? Also, dat ass. Really a shame she had to die.

I really like Gonzou and his smart choices for the fights, that's why this show is so good. Btw, it's quite strange but I fairly enjoyed the fanservice.

NEED MORE TAKAO
TAKAO
WHERE ARE YOU TAKAO
Oct 28, 2013 9:52 PM

Apr 2012
These battles are pretty damn nice, I'll tell you that much! I'm having a blast with this anime and I didn't expect this at all.

Haruna has a pretty nice body and her choice of underwear is pretty good too, what I did find a little weird was that she had no other clothes under that coat of hers.
"Rejoice! We are humans— we are the most talented people! Precisely because we were born without any ability— we can achieve anything— this is the will of the weakest race!" – Sora, ‘No game No life Vol.01’
Oct 28, 2013 10:32 PM

Mar 2012
I remain very impressed by this series, and it's sad to think I almost didn't pick it up. Even though the strategy itself wasn't terribly complex (at the end, it was one sneak attack that made the difference), they way they presented the execution makes it fairly convincing whereas in other series this type of strategizing might seem forced.

I'm also pretty glad that both Haruna and Kirishima are alive, although I'm not quite sure how "alive" Kirishima is after she's reduced to a core. This was an epic battle. I don't know how they're going to top that. Given how things have worked out so far though there's much to be hopeful for.
Oct 28, 2013 10:50 PM

Dec 2011
That was another great tactical battle. They shut down two Fog ships this time. Damn. I wonder how can they make the other battles more interesting now.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2013 12:02 AM

Dec 2007
Kurogashi said:
haha why is she in her undies in the end. how does that even make any sense.
man i wish the chars werent in 3d models. shouldve did it like the machine doll anime - a mixture of 3d/animation.
Basically, that's all that she was wearing under the coat. They should explain next episode.

As for the ep, I guess I can accept the cast (and ship) reduction they appear to be doing here, but it may also affect some later battles, so there's a big question of what they'll do then.
Well, at least it'll be harder for anyone to harp about harems when there aren't enough members . . .
Oct 29, 2013 12:15 AM
Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
yngtadpole said:

I haven't read the manga, but from what people here have hinted at, I think they shuffled the episodes to allow for a simpler, linear, story line, which over all, is a good idea to introduce people who are watching the animation as an introduction. We see the MC's skills up front, the development of Fog ships before getting too deep into the background, plus some awesome battle scenes to drag us laggards into the show. Now they can spend a couple of episodes doing characters because we have been sated by this episodes battle scenes.

True, the Manga showed a heavily politicize world which I think for casual viewer will find too complicated to follow(power struggle between political powers within humans). The current format at least allow us to follow with it more easily, the tactics that Gunzou used in the anime is also differ from the manga, where I find it hard to comprehend whats going on in all the battles. Also it seems that the main anti-villain of the fog is the Battleship Kongou, this is where I hope the anime will follow the manga, where the main anti-villain is a ship far more powerful, both in Aperggio and real life.

Come to think of it, we are now at episode 4, barely half-way through the series, this is at about the halfway point in the manga and with so many character missing, I'am both curious and worried what the director plan to fill the remaining episode with.
Oct 29, 2013 1:23 AM

Apr 2011
I was realy sceptical about this batttle as Hakugei was key for Gunzou strategy, but having him use that wreck as replacement... Not bad thinking at all. I don't mind changes as long as it's well handled, which definitely happened here.

Sexy Kirishima was also nice suprise.
Oct 29, 2013 2:07 AM

Apr 2013
Man, I didn't know Submarines were so good. I gotta start saluting them.
Oct 29, 2013 2:31 AM

Jul 2013
Can't help but be reminded of Lelouch because of that epic strategist of an MC.. nice episode.
Oct 29, 2013 4:36 AM

Apr 2008
Kirishima is great.
Now lets hope she can turn into this design in the manga soon :D
The author put her with this costume in the cover, yet she never actually wear it in the story.

And up to this point, probably the comparison with manga is pointless and better to start thinking of it as alternative retelling.

Seeing the transformation in animation is a lot easier, not to mention the clear distinction between blue, green and yellow marking on the ships. Can't see that in B&W print.

BTW, backtracking to previous episode. Is Maya located closer to Kongou ?
Oct 29, 2013 5:24 AM

Jul 2013
In a way this series is amazing.. making battleship war so boring and bland. Maybe it's because of the flat, boring, and pretty much gary stu characters. The fog battleships are disappointing me, it's like they are really, really dumb. Without the superior technology they'd be nothing but pretty faces. I can't believe humanity lost to such a disorganized, easily deceived enemies.
Oct 29, 2013 5:40 AM

Aug 2012
I just love it when crazy, overconfident and over the top characters like Kirishima get owned. I also found it funny how she admonished human emotions then went "I don't want to die yet!" herself. Overconfidence became her downfall to say the least, I hope she's not coming back.
But Haruna survived and that makes me glad! I like Haruna. And dayum! I did NOT expect her to have such a bomb-ass body.

I'm curious as to why Kirishima turned into that object while Haruna still has her body (I'm not complaining though!). Both ships were destroyed right? Shouldn't Haruna have turned into one of those things aswell?

Another great episode with awesome tactics. I've finally gotten used to the CG.
Oct 29, 2013 6:09 AM

Nov 2011
I really don't like the idea of Mental Models having such defined personalities. But maybe that's why they're called "mental" models - models of a way of thinking.

Anyone notice Haruna's "interface" is written in C? XD
Oct 29, 2013 7:04 AM

Apr 2008
Obihiro said:
I really don't like the idea of Mental Models having such defined personalities. But maybe that's why they're called "mental" models - models of a way of thinking.

Anyone notice Haruna's "interface" is written in C? XD

There is actually a very good explanation for that later in the manga though it does open up a whole new mystery
Oct 29, 2013 7:16 AM

Nov 2010
Impressive naval tactics and battles again
It's like a fantasy drawn out from the classic board game

The use of the old sunken city was clever
Kirishima's fanservice and Haruna's (at the end) wasn't really needed

Takao is all what's needed :P
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2013

127 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 23, 2023 4:23 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2013

196 by Gendolfas »»
Feb 14, 2023 12:49 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2013

153 by TechOtaku »»
Nov 23, 2022 1:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Elite60 - Oct 7, 2013

242 by Ashhk »»
Aug 27, 2020 6:34 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2013

124 by djharvey »»
Jun 13, 2020 5:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.