Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 23, 2013 6:09 PM

Dec 2008
fst said:
She didn't... who are you talking about?

The scene where Satsuki wakes up and takes the phone call, near the end. She calls the person on the phone "Onii-san".
Oct 23, 2013 6:41 PM

Jan 2011
god i missed Iroha

After watching this i still want more because i got all excited in the start thinking it was a time skip (only to rewatch it and notice it was her mom) even with that said i liked how you got to learn more about her past while the daily routine of the members of Kissuisou continued.

not to mention those Nako-chi moments gave you all those family feels glad she got more screen this time really nice character,feel Minko got the short end of the stick in this though but that's fine with me lol.
Oct 23, 2013 6:43 PM

Aug 2012
Waiting for BD and subs was damn worth it. From beginning to end it was so enjoyable and it was nice to see the backstory more of Ohana's mother. 10/10

And now to wait patiently for the Steins;Gate Movie...
Oct 23, 2013 9:22 PM

Dec 2007
sarroush said:
fst said:
She didn't... who are you talking about?

The scene where Satsuki wakes up and takes the phone call, near the end. She calls the person on the phone "Onii-san".

I think that was the husband's brother
Oct 23, 2013 11:29 PM

Jun 2010
It was nice and relaxing to watch. But considering it was a movie, it wasn't anything special. There was some nice scenes though, like Nako and her siblings. I wanted to see something that was a little different than the episodes.
Oct 23, 2013 11:41 PM

Jul 2009
attagirl satsuki. any woman who can raise a child on her own is no kid. that's a full fledge adult.
i love this movie. it just goes to show we dont magically turn into adults; it's a process -- many months and years of jumping through hoops, enduring life's trials and tribulations, do we finally grow up. just because someone is 18, 20 or 25, does not mean they're 'adults', especially if they're still doing the same crap they were doing a decade ago. only until we secured the income and gone through the years of raising a healthy, sound child, can we call ourselves adults.

8/10
KurogashiOct 23, 2013 11:46 PM
Oct 24, 2013 12:03 AM

May 2012
so this happens before they left Kissuisou, its really heartwarming and tears during nako arc..satsuki's story is really nice and want to see a standalone series for her.. like the family theme in this movie, gonna miss ohana, nako and minko.. hope they make sequel coz i want more..

Oct 24, 2013 3:48 AM

Mar 2012
It wasn't overly ambitious but it was still a very nice movie. Satsuki's backstory was fantastic as was the character development and Ohana. Hanasaku Iroha is such a good series which makes me really sad I have to say goodbye for what is likely to be the last we see of them. Whatever the case, I'll continue to fest it up for as long as the term makes sense in my mind.

9/10
Oct 24, 2013 6:04 AM

Jan 2012
Anyone have any idea what happened to Ohana's father, that camera man??
Oct 24, 2013 7:04 AM

Nov 2010
Awesome movie, I loved every bit of it
Going back and forth from the present to the past
Featuring Ohana and her Mom Satsuki

Minko's story about her work in the kitchen and
Nako-chi's family problems were done very well

Knowing how the tv-series ended, it's kind of sad to assume this is probably going to be the end of Kissuisou with most of the interesting parts being told/added

Unless the writers gets stroke of genius and come up with an equal or better continuation
Oct 24, 2013 9:09 AM

Oct 2012
Kurogashi said:
attagirl satsuki. any woman who can raise a child on her own is no kid. that's a full fledge adult.
i love this movie. it just goes to show we dont magically turn into adults; it's a process -- many months and years of jumping through hoops, enduring life's trials and tribulations, do we finally grow up. just because someone is 18, 20 or 25, does not mean they're 'adults', especially if they're still doing the same crap they were doing a decade ago. only until we secured the income and gone through the years of raising a healthy, sound child, can we call ourselves adults.

8/10

hey, I agree with that...

And that movie was great, though would love to see season 2...

I mean watching that movie last night 1am, at the ending... seeing Satsuki being so positive and happy about the future... man that was so emotional for me... I mean, I felt so happy and had this feeling I could do anything... and how Life is beautiful, and how u should never give up, and how in the end everything will turn out good... and I have this great admiration of Satsuki...

nice, nice...

Oct 24, 2013 9:50 AM

Aug 2008
I demand a season 2.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Oct 24, 2013 10:29 AM

May 2010
I prefered a sequel however they did a good job though
Oct 24, 2013 10:45 AM

Nov 2009
MoeXtreme said:
Anyone have any idea what happened to Ohana's father, that camera man??

Still remains unknown to us. I hope they will reveal it soon, in the season 2(if they plan to make it) lol.
The movie is quite good, got all the feels ;_; ...
Oct 24, 2013 2:33 PM

Jul 2013
her dad's probably dead.. I just want to say one thing

BABY OHANA IS SO DAMN CUUUUUUTTTEEEEEE!!!!! ♥♥♥♥
Oct 24, 2013 10:25 PM

Jun 2013
this movie is splendid, especially the art! i don't know that P.A Works really at this level! the story is also fine, especially nako-chi XD\

but i think this movie has no surprise factors, but still it's worth to watch
Oct 25, 2013 12:48 AM

Oct 2013
jiraiya_sensei said:

Her dad is dead, it was stated in the anime.
Oct 25, 2013 2:02 AM
Sep 2012
Such a great movie with all the great character/story development, and humor in all the right places. Even is great, though this is PA Works we're talking about here. XD

This movie certainly lives up to the wonderful show it's based on. The only thing that I can really complain about is that it's only slightly more than an hour.

8/10
Oct 25, 2013 5:25 AM

May 2013
i think the serie is better, i like ohana mother but not ohana, this movie seem to be focus on her but why is there so much ohana, and the scene where she cry for nako felt so off to me -1

8/10
Oct 25, 2013 9:03 AM

Jan 2008
Hem, I'm content with the movie and dissapointed at the same time - I hoped for some plot points to be resolved like Minko and Tohru hooking up or Tomoe finding herself a man (preferably Ren-san *shameless shipping*) but then again I liked the focus it put on Ohana's mother. I bawled like a baby during Mana's search. It was very good as a movie, on par with the series.

fst said:
Is that who I think it is on the posters about 22 minutes in, or am I just a racist who think all asians look the same?

I NOTICED THAT TOO. My headcanon tells me, that the movie on the posters was a hit back then and every guy was trying to imitate the main character or something like that and Ren was among them :D
CiaraOct 25, 2013 9:43 AM
Oct 25, 2013 11:36 AM

Jan 2013
8/10
Solid movie, had its ups and downs.
I really liked Ohana's Mother's story. She's a more likable character to me.
Disappointed there wasn't any romantic development between Ohana and her childhood friend.
Oct 26, 2013 2:05 AM

Jan 2008
I really really like it. I wanted to see her mother's childhood.
Oct 26, 2013 10:51 PM

May 2010
This reminded me how much I love and missed Hanasaku Iroha...

Yuina was acting so cute when she was cutting those branches xD Nako has such cute siblings esp. her sister and gotta love the sibling who was eating quitely and enjoying each bite, reminded me so much of my childhood days as I was a bit liike that. Nako is such a nice sisterl, taking care of her siblings when she was so tired.

Her mother's story was so nice, and 'slice-of-life' like, I don't know; it feels more real than most of the romance-related stuff I have seen. It's so amazing...

I got my short Tohru x Ohana scene, thanks God they still get screentime together; not fond of Kou x Ohana at all even if it is canon... Minko acting like Yuina, haha.

Poor Ren-san xD Gotta love Kissuisu's staff and their teamwork. Nako opening up was so... gave me feels... Loved how Ohana could relate to her and looved every single second of it.

Great idea by Yuina. Those bentos by Minko xD Some Minko/Ohana fromance which I missed. Family/flowers huh, I really Ohana's name now that I think about it. Loved how they showed her and her mother running near the end. Ohana's smile was so precious...

This movie was a genius, what is wrong with people... I mean seriously? 8.10 is all you think it deserves? I was totally expecting a 8.5+, so underrated both the series and this...

10/10 for me (if it isn't already obvious enough :p)
Oct 27, 2013 1:38 AM
Mar 2013
this movie is so good, i got the all emotion in here, 9/10 from me
the time line is in the middle of anime series, is it right?

and after i watch this, i really want s2 and the story focus relationship progress, like kou-chan

co1onel said:
jiraiya_sensei said:

Her dad is dead, it was stated in the anime.

when? or what episode?
Oct 28, 2013 7:20 AM

Jul 2011
Great movie but I was expecting a sequel e no screentime for Kouichi disappointed me a little.

8/10
Oct 28, 2013 4:30 PM

Feb 2012
I decided to hold off on this movie until I was half way to the bottom of a bottle of scotch.

That was a bad idea. So many feels...

All and all it was a great movie. It added some nice depth to things the anime didn't explore. I was happy when I saw this was coming out because I had enjoyed the series so much. Now I feel just as depressed as I did after the last episode of the anime.
Oct 28, 2013 7:53 PM

Mar 2011
9/10
Great movie i like it, It's good the see them again
Oct 29, 2013 9:13 PM

May 2011
This would've been an AWESOME movie if it just focused on Ohana's mom's back story. I personally didn't care too much about the present segments, but the back story of Satsuki was enough to carry this movie.
Oct 30, 2013 6:35 AM

Jul 2009
I really liked it, it was fun to know about Satsuki's past.
Oct 30, 2013 10:13 AM

Sep 2010
Pretty good movie.... It's nice how they focused story between Ohana and Satsuki....

7/10
Oct 30, 2013 10:43 AM

Jan 2011
That was a wonderful movie. It was so short which was a bummer but honestly the length suited it. A conflict of wanting more but any more would of been too much.

Glad we got to see so much back story with Satsuki which was something I always wanted to see.

Ohana go confess to to Kou!!!! Right now!!!!!!

9/10 I really enjoyed the TV series and have been waiting and waiting and waiting for this to finally make it's way with subs. Missed this series.

nano.Ripe ED = win.

Movie end card was freaking amazing.
Oct 31, 2013 5:12 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
The scope of the movie I found was wonderful, Satsuki's past made up for a personal heartfelt story and while at first I hoped for more length, what was covered was not rushed and it left enough gaps to interpret making the final, rather nostalgic sentiment much like the anime's ending.

I felt that while Minchi's role didn't exist well throughout, Nako's story was a solid recount that contributed to the overall theme. Kouichi was missing but there was no real opportunity for his appearance either, so I didn't feel like I missed his appearance. The ideas captured a strong atmosphere of growing up as well as Ohana's 'bonboru' which runs true with the anime.

Overall this is a solid final addition to Hanasaku Iroha and I think I'm gonna rewatch the anime just because I now remember how strong of a characterisation Ohana, Satsuki and Sui all share, the feeling to 'bonboru' and shine!

8/10
Nov 1, 2013 8:12 AM

May 2013
I just realized how I missed this series. Will surely rewatch the series again in the future.
Nov 2, 2013 3:48 PM

May 2010
I liked this movie only because the emphasis placed on Ohana's mother.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 3, 2013 2:05 PM

Aug 2012
Beautiful.
Nov 4, 2013 9:49 AM

Apr 2010
at first, i didn't expect that this movie is gonna be good. so that i wasn't excited about watching it.
but after finishing it, it's not good. ITS AWESOMEEE!!
i really really loved every detail in the movie and i'm finally able to remember how i have adored this anime so far <3
and yeah, i really want more from hanasaku iroha :"(
MrymuiNov 4, 2013 9:53 AM
Nov 5, 2013 9:25 PM

Apr 2012
Man, I feel like I could watch Hanasaku Iroha all day and not mind. There's just so much to explore and see. As proven here with more background story on Satsuki. I have to say I wasn't very fond of her in the series, but I always found her relationship with Okami, Ohana and even Enishi very interesting. Granted, she did turn out to be quite the character and I liked her by the end of the series, so it was nice that they dedicated more time for her with this movie.
I'm glad Satsuki came to understand Okami's choices and way of life, and I'm sure Okami too realized her mistakes as stated in the anime. What's in the past is in the past though, and so they just gotta "fest it up" now! I was really proud of her when she decided to take care of Ohana by herself. She turned out a great character.

Tomoe was so funny at the beginning. Glad Minko could learn a little bit more about being a chef. Nako's little sister segment totally made me cry though ;_; da feels.

Ending picture was so cute. Gonna miss the Kissuisou crew all over again!
ShirayuukiiNov 5, 2013 9:29 PM

Nov 6, 2013 10:10 AM

Sep 2011
I wasn't really excited to watch this. I wasn't expecting anything but boy, I was so wrong. I liked it and I actually teared up.
I can relate to the movie because both of my parents are working so Nako-chan's part were all FEELS. Satsuki-san's past is also interesting with Ohana's dad.

Ohana, your father is a great photographer. Satsuki-san's pictures are amazing.

9/10
pew pew pew
Nov 7, 2013 3:04 PM

May 2012
Really amazing movie, brought tears to my eyes a couple of times and well I just loved the art work and animation in this one! I really waited quite some time for this movie to be out and now that I've finally watched it, I do know it really was worth the wait!

A great movie in general to close up most of the story and that could be the fusion for a potential second season?

Either way I loved it and got some awesome backgrounds from it! 9/10
Nov 8, 2013 12:32 AM

Sep 2009
that was a nice movie. i found the intro a little bit quiet :D but somewhere in the middle, i started to like it.. i like the part where Ohana cried at that rooftop.
Nov 16, 2013 9:18 PM

Oct 2012
Lol Tomoe
Ohana x Kou!!!
Actually I'm really disappointed... where's Ohana's "Bonboru"? xD
Well, I'm glad I could hear Minchi's Hobiron
Also, poor Ren-san in the past

nano.RIPE yay!
I want the ED Illustration as my wallpaper

Wow P.A. Works wow~
I'm waiting for Utopia :)
"Signature removed"
Nov 19, 2013 12:46 AM

Oct 2012
Oh Tomoe, as always her anger is so funny xD

Awww.. This movie is so sweet!!
Where's Bonboru? Kou x Ohana moments?
I just realized I'll miss this again :(
"Signature removed"
Nov 19, 2013 8:44 AM

Apr 2012
perfect characters perfect story perfect anime perfect movie
Nov 21, 2013 5:34 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Satsuki is such a fantastic character. She has Ohana's energy but with a bit of an edge, she really makes for a compelling protagonist. I wish we could have had a bit more of her story.

Like I wrote in one of the chapter discussions for Hanasaku Iroha TV series, this is slice of life done right. Interesting characters with a story to tell, gorgeous visuals and animation.

I want an OVA with Tomoe and Ren finally hooking up!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 24, 2013 8:17 AM

Oct 2008
I don't think a large amount of people who read this will agree to what I'm trying to say, but first: Am I supposed to feel sympathy for that bitch of a mother? Am I expected to forget how rotten she is as a mother (and disrespectful towards her lover as a widow)?

And what's so wrong with clinging to the past I wonder? The amount of respect and sympathy I bear for someone for clinging to the past is far more greater than someone who "can't lose" to life or to the past or to whatever.
This is not only about real life but also about creating a fictive text. I've really had enough of this overused governing idea of not being tied down by the past, written in texts but also projected to real life as if it's the right thing to do even though the only thing it's good for is feeding the illusion of productive human beings. As if what Satsuki does in the end is a good thing.
Nov 24, 2013 9:40 PM

Mar 2012
akai-kitsune said:
I don't think a large amount of people who read this will agree to what I'm trying to say, but first: Am I supposed to feel sympathy for that bitch of a mother? Am I expected to forget how rotten she is as a mother (and disrespectful towards her lover as a widow)?

And what's so wrong with clinging to the past I wonder? The amount of respect and sympathy I bear for someone for clinging to the past is far more greater than someone who "can't lose" to life or to the past or to whatever.
This is not only about real life but also about creating a fictive text. I've really had enough of this overused governing idea of not being tied down by the past, written in texts but also projected to real life as if it's the right thing to do even though the only thing it's good for is feeding the illusion of productive human beings. As if what Satsuki does in the end is a good thing.

I know where you are coming from. I really do dislike Satsuki. I liked her chasing after her dream but the sudden kiss with the cameraman was... strange to say the least. Though her rejection of her mother was a bit cruel, I find the worst part is her horrible treatment to Ohana as a child; it truly scarred her for life and made her lose any sense of tact. It not only tramples on her own dream and her child's future but also her memory of her late husband.

Well I do love Ohana as a character though, being able to become such a flower despite such a mother ( though she is a bit loud ). 9/10. Hopes for an epilogue for their reunion at Kissuiso
Nov 26, 2013 9:57 PM
Oct 2008
I went with in with low expectations but this movie was great
Nov 29, 2013 5:20 PM

Feb 2012
Great themes, splendid visuals and backgrounds, but poor execution.

Half of the time is spent on melodrama and Ohana's characterization is really flat just like season one. The other characters, whose two-dimensional traits were apparent but forgivable in season one, fell into a abysmal trap just as like the case of Ohana. Not only poorly conceived, Ohana's naïveté made worse the histrionic scenes, completely undermining the desired effects. Melodrama queen should star in an opera sometime, then maybe she'd *shine*

Satsuki's romance, albeit bad, was fairly befitting and somewhat realistic. I mean, the part with her bra and that whole ordeal was more than unnecessary, but it was delivered well afterwards. It felt nice, for completely wrong reasons.

The seasonal backgrounds were nicely done. The only justice P.A.Works ever does, as usual.
Nov 30, 2013 9:43 PM

May 2013
D'aww. A really sweet movie, showing the relationship between the mother and her precious child, an awesome bond between the both! Loved it :D
Dec 16, 2013 1:05 AM
Jul 2018
Very beautiful movie. Now we know that "Ohana" is Family in Hawaii. :3 Pretty interesting, but I really like a story between Satsuki and her husband though.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Question about Ohana's father.

_Alchemist - Jul 4, 2014

4 by Maggot_Brain »»
Mar 3, 2018 5:56 PM

» Teaser

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2012

11 by SeaJaeger »»
Aug 30, 2013 9:26 PM

Poll: » Thoughts on this?

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2012

15 by Soren »»
Aug 25, 2013 10:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.