Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 7, 2013 11:29 AM

Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not a bad 1st episode. The CG looked decent for the most part. The walking animation did feel unnatural at times to me but it's not distracting. The action scenes are where the CG really shines.
Oct 7, 2013 11:29 AM

Nov 2011
Epic. I read the manga before and got what I excepted,Might not get used to the cg yet though.
Stark700Oct 7, 2013 12:23 PM
Oct 7, 2013 12:22 PM
Aug 2012
are you guys watching the raw version? I can't find a group that's subbing it
Oct 7, 2013 12:36 PM

Nov 2008
Setherzam said:
are you guys watching the raw version? I can't find a group that's subbing it

Yes we are.

The battles looked excellent in CG for sure hopefully there will be tons of them, and the rag tag cast is pretty good, reminds me a bit of Mouretsu Pirates except at sea and in a sub.

Oct 7, 2013 12:44 PM
Jul 2010
Crunchyroll is streaming it and they released the first episode subbed about 10 minutes ago, so expect it on other sites soon for FREEEEEEEE.
Oct 7, 2013 1:17 PM

Aug 2010
Wow...Surprise of the season for me right there.

Gonna take me a few eps to get used to the CG (not that it was bad, on the contrary it looked pretty good) but I'm just not used to watching stuff like that...esp while they're moving.

Other than that. Everything is awesome. Characters are nice, loving the main team, Iona and Chihaya are an awesome combo.

When I saw the pic for this series on MAL I thought Iona would be the genki annoying type. Glad she's the adorable silent type :D

Action animation is awesome and the setting is pretty damn interesting.

Oh and The OP is pretty nice. Loving all the girls designs. Takao looks HOT <3

Can't wait for more :D
Barion-ZaraOct 7, 2013 1:27 PM
Oct 7, 2013 1:26 PM

Apr 2012
This was a lot less in tone and content like Girls und Panzer than I expected. Let's see if the story is a good one. Being a one cour will probably make it pretty fast paced.
Oct 7, 2013 1:35 PM
Jul 2018
I'm digging it, seems pretty interesting.
Oct 7, 2013 1:38 PM
Nov 2012
I'm a huge fan of hexagons so I think this is a superb show.
Oct 7, 2013 1:39 PM
May 2012
That was a very interesting first ep!, The characters are looking strong for this series.
I will Definitely be watching this! (Iona is a silent type, loved her already)
Oct 7, 2013 1:52 PM

Jul 2012
interesting anime,i was ready for the cg animation already so its fine for me
Oct 7, 2013 2:00 PM

Apr 2013
Not bad at all. CG wasn't that bad and the animation as a whole was alright. Big list of unique characters. Will be back for next week's episode.
Oct 7, 2013 2:00 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Elite60 said:
Not a bad 1st episode. The CG looked decent for the most part. The walking animation did feel unnatural at times to me but it's not distracting. The action scenes are where the CG really shines.

Agreed, it's noticeable but not distracting. I've only watched like the frist few minutes of Kingdom, and this definitely flows better imo. The action scenes are pretty cool, reminds me of Majestic Prince's quality.

I read the first few chapters of the manga before, but I wasn't too motivated to continue. However the first episode was pretty engaging, probably because the action looks better animated. I like the relationship between Chihaya and Iona, they're both quite mysterious and it seems like it will interesting to learn more about them (though I guess not really Iona because she doesn't have any prior memories to waking up....)
Oct 7, 2013 2:02 PM

Dec 2012
klake09 said:
I'm a huge fan of hexagons so I think this is a superb show.

I literally giggled out loud when I read that. Nice one!
Oct 7, 2013 2:05 PM

Jul 2007
characters CGI? come on japan...
it's moe warships? can't you do better?
BTW tsundere warship takao is the best
Oct 7, 2013 2:05 PM

May 2012
This was great starting episode. Not bothered with 3DCG. I like the voice cast. Can't wait for next episode.
Oct 7, 2013 2:06 PM

Oct 2011
Not what I was expecting but than... I like how it turned out to be.

Character seems to be fine at least MC knows what he is doing, no emo or such things.
Rest of cast seems fine too.

It also reminds me of Mouretsu Pirates - unfortunatelly it has less episodes to create plot and is more serious to begin with.

And those CG effects: ships are fine but people... oh my.
Oct 7, 2013 2:08 PM

Nov 2012
Horrid CGI in places where they could of used drawn bits. The battles themselves is what I expected, completely CGI, but I didn't expect full character designs of pure CGI. I'll keep watching to see how it turns out but disappointed from the start. Hopefully it gets better.

Enjoyed the character interactions, story, and music. They could have put more effort into making things look natural though. Mix the drawn parts and CGI better like ufotable and it'd be acceptable. This just isn't working as it is.
Oct 7, 2013 2:09 PM
Sep 2011
After seeing the end result I'm truly glad CGI was used for this show as the action scenes look fantastic animated this way, not to mention the visuals are pure eye-candy, aside form the character animation perhaps, and even that I'm more than willing to accept if it provides this high quality of dynamic visual direction.

Story-wise it's good to have a level-headed protagonist who is both competent and has something resembling a personality (ikr, you would think that would be more common but even looking at most other shows this season alone that's clearly not the case).
EudaimoniaOct 7, 2013 2:29 PM
Oct 7, 2013 2:15 PM

Jul 2010
Ok, that was awesome (i wonder how many times did i say it this season?).I was a little bit worried that i might enjoy it less because of the CGI, but its better than i imagined!.Interesting characters, nice OST, battle animations are epic, and most important, THAT setting.Always wanted to watch some anime which is centered around battleship fights.Of course i can't forget about Nano OP as well, which was amazing.

Pretty much 8/10 for now.
Oct 7, 2013 2:40 PM

Nov 2007
Mandatory "I can't stop thinking of Kantai Collection" comment here.
Decent, will keep watching.
Oct 7, 2013 2:40 PM

May 2012
Good first episode. I was not expecting cgi, but I'm pretty sure I can get use to it. Hot girls as battle ships. Talk about thinking out the box. Iona is so cute. I will keep watching this.
4/5
Oct 7, 2013 2:41 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I like this! I'm digging the designs, OP is pretty good, too. Good stuff, looking forward to more.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 7, 2013 2:54 PM

Feb 2013
The CGI is definitely a bit jarring especially when it comes to the characters or the walking animation but, it looks pretty good it's used in the battle sequences so I have high hopes for this show.

And the OP song is really good so with that included, this made for a rather decent first episode.
Oct 7, 2013 2:59 PM

Jun 2009
The CG is ok. But would have prefered hand drawn.
Oct 7, 2013 3:00 PM

Feb 2011
I really tried to watch this until the end, but the CG animition is just so ugly I shut it off after the first half.

Art is more important to me than story so it's too frustrating for me to watch.
Oct 7, 2013 3:07 PM

May 2010
pretty good first episode. the CGI doesnt boether me much cause it doesnt stick out that much of the animation sytel. we have seen waaaaay worse.

cant wait for next ep.
Oct 7, 2013 3:14 PM

Jul 2013
Well an okay episode, but the CG animation was kind of bugging me, but I'll get used to in the next couple of episodes. Well the story and concept was good about battleships, and the characters were okay for the most part.

Not bad for a start of the season. Can't wait to see the next episode.

Oct 7, 2013 3:19 PM

Aug 2010
Ore no sensuikan ga konna ni kawaii wake ga nai!

Pretty good first ep. And living moe warships... sounds like something I cooked up lol

Didn't expect anything from this anime and was pleasently surprised. Also, I have the strange urge to hug a submarine now.
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Oct 7, 2013 3:20 PM

Feb 2013
Mixed reactions I see in that poll lol.

I personally found this really interesting. I've seen worse CG, not bad at all really. Got used to it this episode. Plot seems pretty good too imo.
Oct 7, 2013 3:21 PM

Oct 2012
The CGI characters are just really unpleasant to look at, which is a shame because I thought everything else was pretty much spot on. I hope this is something you get used to because the series does seem quite interesting and the CGI battles looked great.
Oct 7, 2013 3:44 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Whoa! Am I the only one getting serious Lelouche and C.C. vibes from Gunzou and Iona? The military/war setting is also similar to Geass. Can't believe no one else has mentioned this yet. Anyway, this show surprised the hell out of me. Good stuff, so far!
Oct 7, 2013 3:46 PM

Jul 2009
Oh, so now battleships are lolies, too?

CGI is a bit bad, but definitely not horribad.
Drawing fluorescent markings on your ships makes them invincible. Better sell that idea to the US navy, you could make BILLIONS!

Anyways will watch.
Oct 7, 2013 4:00 PM

May 2013
Liking it so far.
Oct 7, 2013 4:00 PM

Apr 2013
Loved the music that was used in background for various scenes. Story so far is interesting, so i can`t wait for the next episode.
Oct 7, 2013 4:02 PM

May 2012
KingYoshi said:
Whoa! Am I the only one getting serious Lelouche and C.C. vibes from Gunzou and Iona? !

Ur not the only one :) and almost same hairstyle..

good plot potential but the cg animation is what I dislike., maybe because im not used to it..

Oct 7, 2013 4:04 PM

Apr 2011
KingYoshi said:
Whoa! Am I the only one getting serious Lelouche and C.C. vibes from Gunzou and Iona? The military/war setting is also similar to Geass. Can't believe no one else has mentioned this yet. Anyway, this show surprised the hell out of me. Good stuff, so far!

Ironicaly Gunzou previous voice actor (In drama CD) was Jun Fukuyama, which is same person as Lelouch. New cast wasn't bad at all with exception of Iona and Kongou (which realy hurt as she is my favourite).

That say I am not realy pleased with some changes it made, like completely changing Iona background and overaly there seems to be effort to make it more into moe show that it originaly was.

That said story is decent, animation fluid and perfect music. It might be worse than I hoped but far better than I feared.
Oct 7, 2013 4:07 PM

Apr 2011
Yeah, I liked their original meeting better, but you can't have everything and not all cliches are bad anyway.
Oct 7, 2013 4:09 PM

Aug 2012
The cg bothered for the first half other than that I was fine with this.

Oct 7, 2013 4:15 PM

Sep 2013
That corrosive torpedo packs a punch and I thought the enemy had powerful weps.

What's with her and the starfish?

Odd end card.

Good first episode definitely a keeper.
Oct 7, 2013 4:29 PM

Sep 2012
I loved it, will continue to watch it.
Oct 7, 2013 4:33 PM

Jul 2010
Everything CGI? Wow. It might take some time before I get used to this CGI. But overall was superb. OST 5/5, OP 5/5, concept 4/5.
Oh yes, Nano <3

I will continue watching for sure.

Desus said:
They could have put more effort into making things look natural though.

Agreed.
Oct 7, 2013 4:42 PM

Aug 2011
Loving everything but the animation. It seems really interesting so far.
Oct 7, 2013 4:52 PM

Sep 2012
I've been in love with CGI in action scenes ever since Yamato 2199.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Oct 7, 2013 5:31 PM
Apr 2011
From the Studio that brought us the Black Rock Shooter TV series.

The animation was so terrible, anyone who wishes to retain their eyesight should probably avoid this show. I don't wear glasses, and plan on keeping it that way.

Note that it wasn't the CGI, that actually looked nice, but the frame rate and still shots legitimately hurt my eyes.
AmarilloHomuraOct 7, 2013 5:35 PM
Oct 7, 2013 5:51 PM

May 2013
The CG is really hard to get used to, the characters are like stiff robotic dolls.

Honestly not much of a fan of highschool/late teens characters being the pivotal characters in big settings, but i certainly don't hate or have anything against this so far. If it wasn't for the animation, i'd probably be into this more, but still its interseting enough to keep watching.
Oct 7, 2013 6:00 PM

Jan 2011
They'll probably bring it up in the show at some point, but a point of interest is that the I-401 was actually one of 3 super sized (largest ever built at the time) submarines the IJN built during WWII. The three didn't really get used but had a very unique submarine design: double hull like 2 cylinders welded together. This was so it could actually be a small aircraft carrier! It was considered one of Japan's secret weapons and had a lot of hope riding on it but got fielded way too late and really needed a decisive weapon to go with it, such as a nuclear bomb for the aircraft to drop.

I just thought I'd throw that out there, since there's meaning behind the name.

Anyway I feel full CGI is still a bit early but something needs to pave the way. I'm mixed about it. It sure helps enhance the naval fights but didn't feel right on the characters. I also feel it comes at the cost of artistic style. To compare it to video games, it's like most anime are usually like Okami but occasionally a show like this is Crysis: the complete opposite, technical awe over artistic style.

Nonetheless, it was intriguing and reminded me of a cross between Jormungand and Full Metal Panic, albeit with a more serious tone.
Oct 7, 2013 6:02 PM

Apr 2012
I need to watch an other episode because I don't know if I get into it. Submarine animes are strange for me :o
Oct 7, 2013 6:34 PM

Jan 2011
Only watched this because i knew NANO was doing the Opening was not disappointed on that end

but seriously whats up with this season despite it being very good so many shows are relaying on CGI lol,as much as i hate it some of them do a decent job but doing full character CGI is kinda bleh.

subs aren't really my thing but it's seems fine, gonna take some time to get used to this CGI at least Iona looks more robotic with it downfall so does everyone else.
Oct 7, 2013 6:36 PM

Nov 2012
Wow, I really liked it, thought about the manga once or twice, but now im sold. Find the whole alien or whatever invasion with classic sea warships with cute girls as AI's to be kinda refreshing and fun.

Still getting used to the art/cgi combo, but found this show's to be much more pleasing than the one used in machine doll.

Fun stuff, will keep watching.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2013

127 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 23, 2023 4:23 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2013

109 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 15, 2023 5:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2013

196 by Gendolfas »»
Feb 14, 2023 12:49 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2013

153 by TechOtaku »»
Nov 23, 2022 1:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2013

124 by djharvey »»
Jun 13, 2020 5:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.