Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 30, 2013 3:55 PM

Aug 2011
Welp I didn't expect to cry as much as I did.
Nov 30, 2013 5:15 PM

Aug 2008
I really thought for awhile there that we wouldn't get Okaru back but Kurisu got over her hesitation and got him back. Good going and don't you dare give him back that kiss, in fact I insist you take many more!

9/10
Nov 30, 2013 6:33 PM

Aug 2011
AuronPond said:
Have to say, it lives up to the series.

The only major problem was trying to figure out the scientific explanation behind Kyouma phasing in and out of existence. I actually figured it out while typing this very post.

The Stein's Gate world line is one that cannot logically exist the way that it does. There are a number of reasons that its existence should be theoretically and logically impossible.

-The first is the expansion of the team. In this world, it should've only remained as Okabe, Daru and Mayuri.

-The second is the general meeting and romance of Christina/Kyouma. They were never supposed to know each other.

-The third is the invention of the time machine itself. This is actually the biggest of inconsistencies. Because this time machine was actually created by Kurisu. Originally, she never had a hand in creating the time machine in the future.

Now, these three things should not be possible in the Steins;Gate world line for a number of reasons, obviously. Therefore, the timeline is unstable. In an attempt to protect itself, the timeline seeks to eliminate the one thing that causes this problem, this unstable foundation.

I know what you're thinking, Hououin Kyouma, right? Wrong. As we see, the idea of Hououin Kyouma has to exist in order for this world line to exist itself. Without Hououin Kyouma, nothing starts the branches of world lines leading to this very one. I'll explain in a moment if you're still confused.

No, the problem causing this lack of stability is the Reading Steiner.

The Reading Steiner allows a person to travel through time with their memories in tact. For a moment, let's say Okabe never had the Reading Steiner. He wouldn't have noticed the very first leap. He wouldn't have noticed that the phone microwave sent D-mail and thus, they wouldn't have hacked SERN. Or, say that he conveniently lost it once he shifted to Steins;Gate world line. He wouldn't remember a thing. He wouldn't go out of his way to make everyone a member, he wouldn't have ever run into Kurisu again, he would never know anything about a time machine.

The Reading Steiner is a contradiction to the world line where nothing went wrong. Thus, the person that has the Reading Steiner, the person who has seen a thousand world lines, is the reason that the Steins;Gate world line is unstable.

So, the world line removes the inconsistency of the Reading Steiner by removing the person who has it, Okabe Rintaro, from existence. HOWEVER, it can't remove the influence of Hououin Kyouma, as that would create a contradictory paradox. It would make things that happened nonsensical and thus, the world line would be even more unstable than it was with the Reading Steiner in it.

Imagine for a brief moment what would happen if you remove Okabe. I mean REALLY remove Okabe. Mayuri loses the will to live. Mayuri and Daru never meet. Kurisu never meets either of them. Ferris never meets Mayuri. None of them ever meet Braun. Braun follows a different path of either going broke faster or getting a tenant who keeps him afloat. However, also, Kurisu dies, her father comes up with the time machine idea and gets away, SERN discovers it all and thus, the alpha world line comes back into play. Thus, no matter how you spin it, a Steins;Gate world line without Okabe is 100% impossible and thus a contradictory paradox.

So, Steins;Gate eliminates Reading Steiner and the person who holds it from existence, but it does not eliminate the presence of that person. Thus, the reason for all of their connections to each other. Because of that, this world line quite literally gives Okabe the option to remain in the world. But, due to his Reading Steiner, it is also trying to remove him at that same time. Okabe is much more satisfied with letting everyone live a normal life without him than he would be bringing up the memories of other worlds. Hence, in the moment where Kurisu starts to remember another world line, he disappears for good. Subconsciously, Okabe has made the choice to deny himself Steins;Gate for the good of everyone else.

In the end, it was his influence that brings him back to the world line. The very influence of Hououin Kyouma is what created Steins;Gate. It is that very same reason that Kurisu had to tell young Okabe the story of Hououin Kyouma. It's to create a paradox that brings her to him and at the same time, create the very attachment that brings the birth of Steins;Gate. Because of this, Okabe no longer feels the loneliness of experiencing different worlds all his own. Okabe remembers the biggest event of his life. Okabe seeks comfort in knowing his friends would go this far for him and feels he should remain in the Steins;Gate world line.

*exhale*

That said, this movie is pretty damn romantic.

Thank you for this, it helped clarify things immensely when I got a bit lost.
Nov 30, 2013 8:16 PM

Dec 2012
Good movie. Now Christina has the ability of Reading Steiner now like Okarin. She didn't want to lose him. Everyone forgot about him except her. I'm surprise that John Titor came again. I was disappointed that they didn't show future Christina after the present her saw younger him to die. Like Okarin did what he killed her and John Titor showed a video of future him. They didn't do the same :(. The ending ended off like the final episode of the anime. But this time it's on the street. 9.5/10
LightBladeNova said:
It makes me sad to know that still hardly anyone knows what a visual novel is, even in the anime community.
Nov 30, 2013 8:54 PM
Mar 2013
Ishkoten said:
Good movie. Now Christina has the ability of Reading Steiner now like Okarin. She didn't want to lose him. Everyone forgot about him except her. I'm surprise that John Titor came again. I was disappointed that they didn't show future Christina after the present her saw younger him to die. Like Okarin did what he killed her and John Titor showed a video of future him. They didn't do the same :(. The ending ended off like the final episode of the anime. But this time it's on the street. 9.5/10

Everyone has Reading Steiner, it was mentioned in the VN. Let's just say Reading Steiner is dormant until you leap through time and/or world lines. That's what Reading Steiner is, keeping the memories of other world lines when you shift to another world line.

One thing that I don't get is the lab members riding bikes with Suzuha. He shouldn't have those memories because the series didn't go the Suzuha route, thus the Okabe we know in the series did not experience that. The question I'm asking is, how can he remember the world lines he didn't experience (aka, the end routes for the corresponding characters, Suzuha, Ferris, Mayuri, Moeka and Ruka)

SwiftKillaNov 30, 2013 8:59 PM
Nov 30, 2013 9:21 PM
Oct 2011
Subbed version is out, and is 1hr and 30 mins, I was on a roller coaster of feels 80% of the movie.
Nov 30, 2013 10:16 PM
Feb 2012
AuronPond said:

The only major problem was trying to figure out the scientific explanation behind Kyouma phasing in and out of existence. I actually figured it out while typing this very post.

The Stein's Gate world line is one that cannot logically exist the way that it does. There are a number of reasons that its existence should be theoretically and logically impossible.

-The first is the expansion of the team. In this world, it should've only remained as Okabe, Daru and Mayuri.

-The second is the general meeting and romance of Christina/Kyouma. They were never supposed to know each other.

-The third is the invention of the time machine itself. This is actually the biggest of inconsistencies. Because this time machine was actually created by Kurisu. Originally, she never had a hand in creating the time machine in the future.

Now, these three things should not be possible in the Steins;Gate world line for a number of reasons, obviously. Therefore, the timeline is unstable. In an attempt to protect itself, the timeline seeks to eliminate the one thing that causes this problem, this unstable foundation.

I know what you're thinking, Hououin Kyouma, right? Wrong. As we see, the idea of Hououin Kyouma has to exist in order for this world line to exist itself. Without Hououin Kyouma, nothing starts the branches of world lines leading to this very one. I'll explain in a moment if you're still confused.

No, the problem causing this lack of stability is the Reading Steiner.

The Reading Steiner allows a person to travel through time with their memories in tact. For a moment, let's say Okabe never had the Reading Steiner. He wouldn't have noticed the very first leap. He wouldn't have noticed that the phone microwave sent D-mail and thus, they wouldn't have hacked SERN. Or, say that he conveniently lost it once he shifted to Steins;Gate world line. He wouldn't remember a thing. He wouldn't go out of his way to make everyone a member, he wouldn't have ever run into Kurisu again, he would never know anything about a time machine.

The Reading Steiner is a contradiction to the world line where nothing went wrong. Thus, the person that has the Reading Steiner, the person who has seen a thousand world lines, is the reason that the Steins;Gate world line is unstable.

So, the world line removes the inconsistency of the Reading Steiner by removing the person who has it, Okabe Rintaro, from existence. HOWEVER, it can't remove the influence of Hououin Kyouma, as that would create a contradictory paradox. It would make things that happened nonsensical and thus, the world line would be even more unstable than it was with the Reading Steiner in it.

Imagine for a brief moment what would happen if you remove Okabe. I mean REALLY remove Okabe. Mayuri loses the will to live. Mayuri and Daru never meet. Kurisu never meets either of them. Ferris never meets Mayuri. None of them ever meet Braun. Braun follows a different path of either going broke faster or getting a tenant who keeps him afloat. However, also, Kurisu dies, her father comes up with the time machine idea and gets away, SERN discovers it all and thus, the alpha world line comes back into play. Thus, no matter how you spin it, a Steins;Gate world line without Okabe is 100% impossible and thus a contradictory paradox.

So, Steins;Gate eliminates Reading Steiner and the person who holds it from existence, but it does not eliminate the presence of that person. Thus, the reason for all of their connections to each other. Because of that, this world line quite literally gives Okabe the option to remain in the world. But, due to his Reading Steiner, it is also trying to remove him at that same time. Okabe is much more satisfied with letting everyone live a normal life without him than he would be bringing up the memories of other worlds. Hence, in the moment where Kurisu starts to remember another world line, he disappears for good. Subconsciously, Okabe has made the choice to deny himself Steins;Gate for the good of everyone else.

In the end, it was his influence that brings him back to the world line. The very influence of Hououin Kyouma is what created Steins;Gate. It is that very same reason that Kurisu had to tell young Okabe the story of Hououin Kyouma. It's to create a paradox that brings her to him and at the same time, create the very attachment that brings the birth of Steins;Gate. Because of this, Okabe no longer feels the loneliness of experiencing different worlds all his own. Okabe remembers the biggest event of his life. Okabe seeks comfort in knowing his friends would go this far for him and feels he should remain in the Steins;Gate world line.

*exhale*

Wow that clarified a lot, still a bit confused, but it mostly made a lot of sense.

I was confused around the end how Kurisu is going to save Okabe
Dec 1, 2013 12:32 AM

Feb 2012
I got kind of confused towards the end, but it was a good film. I'll prolly read other's comments and (if i have time) rewatch the film again to further understand how she saved him.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Dec 1, 2013 1:36 AM

Sep 2012
Ravid25 said:
http://i.imgur.com/vbK9Pob.png

Was this the first kiss that Okabe referred to in the series?

Yeah, Okarin made it like a joke. Since "Christina" went back in time and gave him that kiss. I guess nullifying his instability in the Steins' Gate World Line. He remembers the kiss 7 years ago from a Hot red head at the station. and "wanted the kiss back."

The meter of cuteness in itself is crazy. >.<
"Guys are simple creatures. Just by talking to them, they get the wrong idea." - Hachiman Hikigaya
Dec 1, 2013 2:38 AM

Feb 2012
That was FAPtastic. Feels like watching the original S;G series. I almost got chills at the end. Goosebumps all over the movie.

AGAIN, EL. PSY. CONGROO.

Okabe x Kurisu FOR EVER. This is the choice of Steins;Gate. Damn. Those Feels.

9/10
Dec 1, 2013 3:57 AM

Mar 2011
AuronPond said:

Props to you for the solid theory you've brought up, but I'm not sure if you've gotten it right. I'll point out a couple of things that don't make complete sense.

Firstly: Reading Steiner. I'm assuming you've played the VN, so you should know (and it has also already been stated in another post) that Reading Steiner supposedly exists in every person, in varying proportions. I suspect that "Déjà vu", in the context of this story, is actually Reading Steiner in a more fundamental form. Or rather, Reading Steiner is a more complex, developed variant of the Déjà vu that exists in the average human being, since Okabe seems to be the anomaly in a world where people are only able to retain fragments of information from other world lines.

So we can't really consider Reading Steiner as the cause of the instability. Unless, of course, the ability itself were to be wiped out completely, in which case would mean that no one in the S;G world line would have any memory of any one of the events that take place in other world lines because none of them would have the ability to obtain such information.

Secondly: Steins;Gate being unable to exist because of certain factors. I'll refer to the three points you've made.

- The future experiments lab, along with all its members, can exist without the events prior to Okabe's shift to the S;G world line. Their being isn't a result of the construction of the time machine. They exist as entities moving through the present in each time line, whether the time machine is built or not. Just as there is a convergent point in the Alpha world line where Mayuri inevitably has to die, there should supposedly be a convergent point where all the characters of this story must inevitably meet and interact. Put another way, "fate" had already dictated that all lab members would congregate regardless of the events they encountered prior to their meeting.

- Just because it's impossible for them to have known each other before, it doesn't mean that Makise and Okabe can never meet in a point in future. The events that happened make it possible for them to meet again because it fulfills the criteria of having an "unknowing" Okabe witnessing a "dead" Makise in a pool of blood, and believing that she is now dead. So he should supposedly have been pleasantly shocked to see Makise risen from the grave and roaming the streets of Akiba. This is what has been dictated as the S;G world line. But we do know that he went through the big loop of traversing through time and doing stuff, eventually reaching the point where he sets up the scene for his previous unknowing self to go through the the big loop of events which he had just been through. So in fact, the Okabe that now knows the truth (that Makise is alive), replaces the Okabe that has never seen Makise in any other circumstance before other than being dead in a pool of blood. From this point, Okabe can then move about in the S;G world line to meet Makise, and he would know her even if she didn't know him.

- The invention of the time machine in the S;G world line, along with the appearance of Amane Suzuha, is another anomaly in this movie. From what we know, the S;G world line is one where the time machine is never built, because Okabe would never have to built one in order to save Mayuri. Since this is supposedly so, it is impossible for Amane to travel back in time to meet Makise. We can confirm this from the scene in the last episode of the series, when the existence of Amane as a time traveler disappears due to the alteration of events that led to the time machine never being built. Had the event of the invention of the time machine in the S;G world line still occurred, Amane would not have disappeared, and instead would have returned to the point in time where Okabe had traveled back to. Simply put, the invention of the time machine shouldn't have been possible not because of any circumstances involving Makise, but because it simply doesn't make sense. It would be as if the time machine magically appeared some time in the future.

On to your point about Okabe never having had Reading Steiner: In such a scenario, Okabe would never even have understood the idea of a S;G world line existing, let alone reaching it, thus making Reading Steiner a prerequisite for him to reach S;G. As for him conveniently losing the ability upon reaching S;G, if we supposed that such a phenomenon were possible, then shouldn't the problem of having his existence in the S;G world line disappearing be solved? Anyway, Reading Steiner was something that existed in Okabe's life since childhood. It was stated before, in one of the earlier episodes. I don't think the existence of Reading Steiner is based on the occurrence of "wrong" events.

About the presence of Okabe not being removed... Eh... So what, like a ghost? It did seem something along those lines for me throughout the movie, or if you've seen Clannad, the presence of Fuko in school even though she was in a coma. Nothing wrong with an explanation like that, but it doesn't quite fit the theme of the series because it intrudes the boundaries of the supernatural. But I think you've got the motive of whoever wrote the storyline for this quite clearly. It did seem like Okabe had lost the will to live with the memories of repeatedly seeing his loved ones die being yet again repeated over and over in his head (post-traumatic stress disorder?), and somehow Makise had done something to give him new strength to live on. That said, it doesn't explain how it stabilized his existence in S;G. It didn't remove his Reading Steiner ability, and all we saw was that Makise traveled back in time to meet Okabe as an adolescent. But what does that change? We already know that trying to change the past doesn't change the future (as seen from Okabe trying to prevent Mayuri's death), and if a change is observed, it means that there must have been a shift in world lines. But somehow in this movie, a change in the past affected the future without moving world lines. I'm not getting something here, and I suspect it's because of a couple of flaws that the producers overlooked. But I'm gonna continue figuring out if I'm the one who got things wrong. Anyway...

tl;dr - Nice try at trying to sort out the confusion, but I don't think it's right, and I think the producers messed up somewhere. Not saying that it was a bad movie. Just one that doesn't make a lot of sense. And yes, it was quite romantic (a little awkward at times).
Dec 1, 2013 4:47 AM

Nov 2013
I have to say, I shed some tears while watching this movie. Don't get me wrong it was a GOOD movie, I was on the edge of my seat almost the entire time. Also, I loved the romance between Kurisu and Okabe. Their relationship was very touching and I have been rooting for them to get together since I watched Steins; Gate... That being said, I cannot say that this movie was on par with the rest of the series. That's just because the original series and the OVA were that good. I think if they could have scientifically explained things a bit more on how Okabe managed to return to the Steins; Gate world line I would have enjoyed it more. I was able to comprehend the ending of the anime, but this seemed a bit too far-fetched for me to (at least in the S;G world) realistically believe. I guess Kurisu going back in time and talking to Okabe as a kid altered his R World line. I would have loved some more explanations on how the ending came to be, but overall I felt it was a great addition to the series and any Steins; Gate fan would love it just as I did. I am now going to unravel my brain for the next few days about time travel, world lines, and deja vu, and rewatch the movie once or twice to try and get a better explanation.

I also thought the animation and OST were not as good as the usual, but then again you can't always expect something perfect. I did love the romance though and it's about damn time the tsundere came out of her shell and I love her even more now!

EDIT:
It seems to me, through Deja Vu(Kurisu doing things only Okabe would do) she helped everyone remember Okabe and achieve the time leap to the world line where Okabe still exists. It seems highly unrealistic that Deja Vu can have that big of an impact on a world line, but I think that is what we are supposed to believe.
BlareyDec 1, 2013 5:14 AM
Dec 1, 2013 5:14 AM
Mar 2013
OMG KURISU DRUNK THAT WAS SO CUTE!!! Tickle tickle <3. Kyahhhh aarrrggghhh dat fanboy. I wish the movie had more cute okabe and Kurisu moments! And I wish the drunk part lasted longer, a kiss whilst drunk would make me happy =D
Dec 1, 2013 6:42 AM
Dec 2012
junglepenguin said:

Props to you for the solid theory you've brought up, but I'm not sure if you've gotten it right. I'll point out a couple of things that don't make complete sense.

Let's work through it. After all, my theory is only a theory. One that I actually crafted in the moment of typing that post. It'll have its flaws.

junglepenguin said:
Firstly: Reading Steiner. I'm assuming you've played the VN, so you should know (and it has also already been stated in another post) that Reading Steiner supposedly exists in every person, in varying proportions. I suspect that "Déjà vu", in the context of this story, is actually Reading Steiner in a more fundamental form. Or rather, Reading Steiner is a more complex, developed variant of the Déjà vu that exists in the average human being, since Okabe seems to be the anomaly in a world where people are only able to retain fragments of information from other world lines.

Yes, that much is said even in the actual series as well. However, it's Okabe's Reading Steiner that makes any of these things possible. Without him retaining full memory of everything, it wouldn't have been possible.

junglepenguin said:
So we can't really consider Reading Steiner as the cause of the instability. Unless, of course, the ability itself were to be wiped out completely, in which case would mean that no one in the S;G world line would have any memory of any one of the events that take place in other world lines because none of them would have the ability to obtain such information.

Once again, it's not that the world removes Reading Steiner. It tries to remove Okabe's Reading Steiner. His Reading Steiner caused the instability. Because they still held memories of Okabe. However, since his influence has to remain in order to make that world possible, Steins;Gate created its own problem. Every detail is important for the Steins;Gate world line to remain the same. Even the buying of Dr. Pepper. Thus, they have to retain those memories in some fashion, but they can't retain the existence of said person creating those memories. It's beyond complicated, but generally, it's like people celebrated your birthday without you ever being born. They know who you are, but you were never even there.

junglepenguin said:
Secondly: Steins;Gate being unable to exist because of certain factors. I'll refer to the three points you've made.

- The future experiments lab, along with all its members, can exist without the events prior to Okabe's shift to the S;G world line. Their being isn't a result of the construction of the time machine. They exist as entities moving through the present in each time line, whether the time machine is built or not. Just as there is a convergent point in the Alpha world line where Mayuri inevitably has to die, there should supposedly be a convergent point where all the characters of this story must inevitably meet and interact. Put another way, "fate" had already dictated that all lab members would congregate regardless of the events they encountered prior to their meeting.

Yes, fate has to bring those people together. However, fate without reason would create instability. There is little to zero way Daru would've approached Kurisu. Even less chance that he would approach underage Mayuri. In the Steins;Gate world without Okabe, there is almost ZERO reason that any of them would meet let alone all of them would meet. Mostly because Kurisu does die without the influence of Okabe and the time machine gets created off her stolen research. Steins;Gate wouldn't be able to exist.

junglepenguin said:
- Just because it's impossible for them to have known each other before, it doesn't mean that Makise and Okabe can never meet in a point in future. The events that happened make it possible for them to meet again because it fulfills the criteria of having an "unknowing" Okabe witnessing a "dead" Makise in a pool of blood, and believing that she is now dead. So he should supposedly have been pleasantly shocked to see Makise risen from the grave and roaming the streets of Akiba. This is what has been dictated as the S;G world line. But we do know that he went through the big loop of traversing through time and doing stuff, eventually reaching the point where he sets up the scene for his previous unknowing self to go through the the big loop of events which he had just been through. So in fact, the Okabe that now knows the truth (that Makise is alive), replaces the Okabe that has never seen Makise in any other circumstance before other than being dead in a pool of blood. From this point, Okabe can then move about in the S;G world line to meet Makise, and he would know her even if she didn't know him.

Geez, now I'm a bit confused, lol.

If I get what you're saying correctly, I'd go on to say that this too would be less likely if Okabe didn't have Reading Steiner. For one, the meeting is chance, it could happen at any time and did happen at any time. I'll give you that. However, the admittance of feelings was brought on by Okabe experiencing so many different Kurisus who were all willing to help him. Through these different timelines, he shared things with her and made her his assistant, etc. However, without the intrigue of the time machine, their romance would likely never even develop. Any small difference and she could have fell in love with fellow pervert/channeler Daru. For the most part, in that moment where he walked on the streets and she walked through the streets looking for him. It would've been a lot less heartfelt and she would've simply been about her way back to the US after.

I guess I'll concede that as not being impossible, per say.

junglepenguin said:
- The invention of the time machine in the S;G world line, along with the appearance of Amane Suzuha, is another anomaly in this movie. From what we know, the S;G world line is one where the time machine is never built, because Okabe would never have to built one in order to save Mayuri. Since this is supposedly so, it is impossible for Amane to travel back in time to meet Makise. We can confirm this from the scene in the last episode of the series, when the existence of Amane as a time traveler disappears due to the alteration of events that led to the time machine never being built. Had the event of the invention of the time machine in the S;G world line still occurred, Amane would not have disappeared, and instead would have returned to the point in time where Okabe had traveled back to. Simply put, the invention of the time machine shouldn't have been possible not because of any circumstances involving Makise, but because it simply doesn't make sense. It would be as if the time machine magically appeared some time in the future.

It's not even that. In normal form, Makise shouldn't have the time machine down to an exact science as soon as she did. This was only made possible by the combined effort of herself and Okabe. But in this world, that should be impossible since she never spoke about it with him (or maybe she did; he did share everything with her). All in all, the creation of the time machine for the sole purpose of going back in time for someone who doesn't exist is impossible in general if you discount Okabe's Reading Steiner.

junglepenguin said:
On to your point about Okabe never having had Reading Steiner: In such a scenario, Okabe would never even have understood the idea of a S;G world line existing, let alone reaching it, thus making Reading Steiner a prerequisite for him to reach S;G. As for him conveniently losing the ability upon reaching S;G, if we supposed that such a phenomenon were possible, then shouldn't the problem of having his existence in the S;G world line disappearing be solved? Anyway, Reading Steiner was something that existed in Okabe's life since childhood. It was stated before, in one of the earlier episodes. I don't think the existence of Reading Steiner is based on the occurrence of "wrong" events.

If he didn't have Reading Steiner upon entering Steins;Gate then it would be solved. But at the same time, Okabe has to retain certain memories, so this world couldn't exist if he didn't have Reading Steiner. Like I said before, without that presence to tie them all together, nothing's working. Granted, they would've all been friends anyway, but they all HAVE to be lab members in every single world. Right down to their member numbers.

junglepenguin said:
About the presence of Okabe not being removed... Eh... So what, like a ghost? It did seem something along those lines for me throughout the movie, or if you've seen Clannad, the presence of Fuko in school even though she was in a coma. Nothing wrong with an explanation like that, but it doesn't quite fit the theme of the series because it intrudes the boundaries of the supernatural. But I think you've got the motive of whoever wrote the storyline for this quite clearly. It did seem like Okabe had lost the will to live with the memories of repeatedly seeing his loved ones die being yet again repeated over and over in his head (post-traumatic stress disorder?), and somehow Makise had done something to give him new strength to live on. That said, it doesn't explain how it stabilized his existence in S;G. It didn't remove his Reading Steiner ability, and all we saw was that Makise traveled back in time to meet Okabe as an adolescent. But what does that change? We already know that trying to change the past doesn't change the future (as seen from Okabe trying to prevent Mayuri's death), and if a change is observed, it means that there must have been a shift in world lines. But somehow in this movie, a change in the past affected the future without moving world lines. I'm not getting something here, and I suspect it's because of a couple of flaws that the producers overlooked. But I'm gonna continue figuring out if I'm the one who got things wrong. Anyway...

Actually, this is a complicated, REALLY COMPLICATED one. First, we can use Clannad as an example . . . in reverse. He doesn't exist . . . or at least, he didn't exist in that form. However, without key memories of the things he did, even the slightest difference would lead away from Steins;Gate. So, incorporate the memories without the person. Make them vague enough. Erase his identity. Everything stays the same. But memories don't fade and that's the problem. Well, in a normal situation, it wouldn't be a problem. Even if they remembered, it wouldn't mean much as they wouldn't be able to bring him back. However, because Kurisu travels through time, she experiences a taste of what Okabe experienced. That's one of the catalyst to bringing him back. Since he felt lonely in being the one to experience this pain, he thought it better to be alone and not bother anyone with it. So, Kurisu killing young Okabe is the first catalyst to connecting with him. The second was the story of Hououin Kyouma, which means that Kurisu going back in time is necessary. She is the one who creates Hououin Kyouma. This is the triggering of an event. However, now the problem is anchoring the memory. To sum it up, just because she told him this story, it doesn't mean he'll remember it. So, she ended it with the kiss. That kiss is the reason he remembers that name. Even if he were to forget the kiss itself, it anchors him to the memory of the story of Hououin Kyouma and the redhead. Thus, it anchors him to her and she is able to use that to anchor him to the world.

I guess you could say that they were finally on the same wavelength.

junglepenguin said:
tl;dr - Nice try at trying to sort out the confusion, but I don't think it's right, and I think the producers messed up somewhere. Not saying that it was a bad movie. Just one that doesn't make a lot of sense. And yes, it was quite romantic (a little awkward at times).

Awkward romance is the best romance.
Dec 1, 2013 7:34 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I liked the movie, but I was expecting a bit more romance as well mostly at the end. I did like the stairs scene where Okarin and Kurisu were Kirisu was being all lovey dovey, so cute.

I was kind of expecting Kirisu to go back in time more, but I think she figured a way to bring Okabe back. Okabe always had the attitude to always shield his emotions, and keep painful memories to himself. So when Kirusu told that story of Okabe the young Okabe was influenced to do the same, protect Mayuri, and not let anything happen to her. Young Okabe said it was a sad story, but Kirisu said it was a nice story because Okabe always looked out for his friends, he protected them because he cared about them. Once Kirisu goes back and sees present Okabe back she tells him he no longer has to experience painful or sad things by himself. That he has his friends and herself to always stay by his side and together Okabe and friends can share memories, and help each other out in the good and bad times.

Dec 1, 2013 9:34 AM
Mar 2013
The way that I understand it is that, Christina went back in time to give Okabe a memory from S;G world-line to anchor him into that world-line?

I'm still trying to sort out my thoughts but I think it's a good movie in general
Dec 1, 2013 10:26 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Didn't know what to expect as for the first time we went outside the VN script, but I found it quite satisfactory. Lots of adorable Okarin x Kurisu moments and a pretty touching story in general. Naturally it's got nothing on the tv-series but I don't think anyone would expect that much of it, but for what was theoretically possible it was a good as it could have been imo.
Dec 1, 2013 11:03 AM

Oct 2013
I definitely want more steins;gate,honestly the anime is too good.

I mean,i really cant get enough Makise,and i need to also see a SERN storyline,Okabe+company+Suzuha overthrow SERN after it successfully takes over the world?
fuck yes
Taimanin_IreliaDec 1, 2013 2:32 PM
Dec 1, 2013 12:23 PM
Mar 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja4trKQRF8M

This made it worth watching xD
Dec 1, 2013 2:36 PM

Apr 2012
didn't really understand the movie and how okabe's existence was becoming unstable :
maybe it was because of the poopy subs
loved the typical awkward romance between kirsu and okabe tho
maybe I'll give it a rewatch when some better subs come out. Honestly I was really reluctant to watch a cam quality recording of the movie / super flash subbing but i couldn't resist :\

Dec 1, 2013 2:49 PM

Jan 2013
Movie needs another 30 minutes imo. While it did close some plot holes the movie made some more holes in their place.
Dec 1, 2013 3:39 PM

Nov 2013
FrozenRemains said:
I definitely want more steins;gate,honestly the anime is too good.

I mean,i really cant get enough Makise,and i need to also see a SERN storyline,Okabe+company+Suzuha overthrow SERN after it successfully takes over the world?
fuck yes

A future world with a SERN storyline would be freaking awesome!
Dec 1, 2013 3:48 PM

Dec 2012
Feels were delivered, but the version I saw had some real shitty subs, so I couldn't completely grasp a thing or two...

Still time very well spent, 9/10

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Dec 1, 2013 4:33 PM

Jun 2013
Been awhile since I saw the TV series, but I'm sure him running back to Mayushi and telling her "you are my hostage" happened. So it was caused by Kurisu? Along with Rintarou calling himself Hououin Kyouma? AND stealing his first kiss?

Awesome!
Dec 1, 2013 4:43 PM

Feb 2013
rly liked it. i was touched. it just felt a little short but it was overall a good connection to the series
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Dec 1, 2013 4:44 PM

Oct 2013
Tengoku_no_hakai said:
Been awhile since I saw the TV series, but I'm sure him running back to Mayushi and telling her "you are my hostage" happened. So it was caused by Kurisu? Along with Rintarou calling himself Hououin Kyouma? AND stealing his first kiss?

Awesome!

I dont think thats why events in TV series happened as it would create a time paradox,trying to change the past doesnt affect future as we have seen.

Remember that in the world line Makise was,Okabe wasnt even supposed to exist she just implanted a new memory in the new world line so he would accept his existence.
Taimanin_IreliaDec 1, 2013 4:49 PM
Dec 1, 2013 4:45 PM
Mar 2013
Tengoku_no_hakai said:

Awesome!

In the Steins;Gate world line yes, but the origin of Hououin Kyouma was from a TV show Mayuri and Okabe watched together in the Alpha and Beta worldlines. In the Steins;Gate world line, that never happened as Kurisu told little Okabe about the mad scientist thing.
Dec 1, 2013 5:38 PM

Jun 2013
Definitely one of the most amazing anime I've watched so far.
10/10
Dec 1, 2013 8:28 PM
Oct 2013
Why there are 4 people who voted for hate? It's already on my watch list. Subbed version is available so downloading for now.
Dec 1, 2013 8:55 PM

Aug 2012
funicode said:

2. If Suzuha didn't give the hints to Kurisu in the hotel, Kurisu would have forgotten about Okabe, and she would have no reason to build the time machine, and the future Suzuha would not travel to deliver the hints to Kurisu.

I think we can assume that in the S;G future Suzuha came from, Kurisu remembered him without any help through continued deja vu, it just took her longer. Suzuha clueing her in sooner was probably just important in that she could then time leap to a point where Okabe was still there and get an understanding of his mental state. This way she could come up with the best solution with the help of her future self's message from Suzuha.

Another question brought to my attention was: with the resolution and subsequent "revival" of Okabe's existence in the Steins;Gate worldline, the need for Kurisu to build a time machine and for Suzuha to go back and help her disappears, upsetting the chain of events leading Okabe back into existence, right?

I just don't see why it's necessary to maintain this chain of events like with tricking Okabe 1, or with instances like John Smith or Kyon 2 in Haruhi. Would they have had to move into a new world line in order to not have to maintain the chain of events? Or would Okabe's current existence serve as the "repairing" of the Steins;Gate world line, negating any need for the upholding the chain of events to 'fix' it?
Dec 1, 2013 9:44 PM

Mar 2012
I wonder if the deja vu that sometimes I felt is because there is another me in another world line that have done the same thing.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Dec 1, 2013 9:51 PM

Jan 2013
just watched it, very emotional i have to say
i loved how it ended, that was just so clever and wonderful
10/10, perfect epilogue/conclusion to steins;gate
the fact that it wasn't needed is made to null and void by the fact that it's great
Please check my music out on SoundCloud! There's something for everyone.

Dec 1, 2013 10:40 PM

May 2013
I just finished watching this movie and I really liked it. It brought some good closure to the entire Steins;Gate story. This movie did a good job in elaborating on reading steiner which was not elaborated on the TV series. I like this movie's story of Kurisu experiencing some of the struggles that Okarin went through in the TV series. This helped Kurisu understand Okarin better.

I liked the scene where Kurisu was pretending to be Hououin Kyouma to get everyone to remember Okarin. That scene was funny and a bit emotional.

My rating for this movie is 8/10.

EL PSY CONGROO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Dec 2, 2013 12:27 AM
Feb 2009
holy sht that was good cried just as I did in the original series.
Dec 2, 2013 1:38 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Like I said in the review I made; I think it's easier to think of this movie as a fandisc adaptation to the original storyline rather than an actual sequel. When you think about it, the story is basically finished already, the point of this movie is simply to give closure and to take care of any leftover loose ends. At least in that regard, it does everything you could ever ask for.
Dec 2, 2013 2:08 AM

Mar 2013
damn !! XD, steins gate movie is great .. this is the end of Steins Gate?
Dec 2, 2013 2:11 AM

Mar 2012
VadNAP said:
There are a sequel of Steins;Gate VN but I don't know if that or this is connected.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Dec 2, 2013 2:25 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
NeoAnkara said:
VadNAP said:
There are a sequel of Steins;Gate VN but I don't know if that or this is connected.
well that's a non-canon 8-bit extension, don't think that will ever be animated :3
Dec 2, 2013 4:07 AM

Mar 2013
HaXXspetten said:
NeoAnkara said:
VadNAP said:
well that's a non-canon 8-bit extension, don't think that will ever be animated :3
what do you mean a non-canon 8-bit extansion?
Dec 2, 2013 4:11 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
VadNAP said:
HaXXspetten said:
NeoAnkara said:
VadNAP said:
http://vndb.org/v9887
Dec 2, 2013 5:29 AM

Mar 2013
HaXXspetten said:
VadNAP said:
HaXXspetten said:
NeoAnkara said:
VadNAP said:
http://vndb.org/v9887
ohh... I see... thx ^_^
Dec 2, 2013 12:23 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Romance scenes were nice. When Kurisu kissed young Okarin, I laughed. Something felt missing... 9/10 from me.

Dec 2, 2013 1:36 PM

Apr 2010
Great drama, lots of development on Kurisu's side. I really liked this movie.

8.5/10
Dec 2, 2013 4:20 PM
Dec 2013
I enjoyed the movie, anything new that has to do with Steins;Gate is always welcome for me! Although I must admit, there is a tiny part of me that kind of wishes they had left things where they were before.

Just one thing about the movie that I don't understand: Wouldn't Okabe's disappearance have caused the world line to change from the Steins;Gate world line? When he disappeared, he altered the lives of several people and created a future where Kurisu ended up building a time machine and Suzuha time-traveled. How could these things have possibly occurred while the world remained on the same world line?

Did the world line actually did shift when Okabe disappeared? How could it not have? And when Kurisu gave Okabe the strong memory that he needed, did it then switch back to the true Steins;Gate world line? That seems like the only plausible explanation to me.
Dec 3, 2013 3:09 AM
Mar 2013
lizzie1238 said:
I enjoyed the movie, anything new that has to do with Steins;Gate is always welcome for me! Although I must admit, there is a tiny part of me that kind of wishes they had left things where they were before.

Just one thing about the movie that I don't understand: Wouldn't Okabe's disappearance have caused the world line to change from the Steins;Gate world line? When he disappeared, he altered the lives of several people and created a future where Kurisu ended up building a time machine and Suzuha time-traveled. How could these things have possibly occurred while the world remained on the same world line?

Did the world line actually did shift when Okabe disappeared? How could it not have? And when Kurisu gave Okabe the strong memory that he needed, did it then switch back to the true Steins;Gate world line? That seems like the only plausible explanation to me.

Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=666831&show=0#HThfAuJqDMYCLrXF.99
This should answer your question. It's not mine just quoting a part of the analysis.
Dec 3, 2013 4:20 AM
Dec 2013
SwiftKilla said:
lizzie1238 said:

Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=666831&show=0#HThfAuJqDMYCLrXF.99
This should answer your question. It's not mine just quoting a part of the analysis.

Thanks, but that still doesn't really answer my question. I still don't see how two completely different futures could occur in the same world line...
Dec 3, 2013 7:38 PM

Jun 2012
goood stuff
Dec 4, 2013 9:47 AM
Jul 2012
Pretty nice movie and well worth the wait for the subs.
Only thing I felt is something don't feel right is the ending. It was too short and not that excitement feeling like the show. Though, I still like it and that one scene really reminds me of the manga called Steins;Gate: Heiji Kyokusen no Epigraph where okabe was a child. Glad that they featured on to the movie since it was very interesting. Other than that, the movie was short that I think there should be more minutes. Is it me or the ending is kinda like the ova a little?
9/10
Dec 5, 2013 7:34 AM

Jan 2013
The Blu Ray was supposed to come out late, is the quality of the rip good? Also, does it leaves things on a happy note like the original series did? as I don't want to spoil my memory of the perfect ending.
Dec 5, 2013 7:41 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
alanwake said:
The Blu Ray was supposed to come out late, is the quality of the rip good? Also, does it leaves things on a happy note like the original series did? as I don't want to spoil my memory of the perfect ending.
if you liked the original series, you'll like the movie

it doesn't really directly affect the perfect ending anyway so I wouldn't worry about that
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Contrary to the popular belief, the Steins;Gate movie is canon (video)

SciADV_Maniac - Apr 21

11 by Spheromancer »»
Yesterday, 6:26 AM

» Canon?

mechian - Nov 7, 2013

13 by SciADV_Maniac »»
Apr 20, 12:56 PM

» Reason for kurisu's change of dress while meeting the younger okabe in the steins gate movie

Raajdeep - Jul 30, 2023

4 by Raajdeep »»
Jan 18, 6:00 PM

» Should i watch this?

BeanieWaferz - May 29, 2023

38 by Lemonov »»
Aug 26, 2023 10:46 AM

» Couldn't understand a scene

Raajdeep - Jul 30, 2023

14 by PeeBeeBoi »»
Aug 1, 2023 8:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.