Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 28, 2013 1:54 PM

Nov 2009
This is so beautiful to watch ...
Then there's a moment that I couldn't hold my tears when seeing Ledo cried ...
Apr 28, 2013 1:54 PM

Nov 2012
starmaker032 said:

For a moment there I thought Ledo might kill Amy's brother just because he kept using the word "need", my sister "needs" me and I "need" her...didn't expect Ledo to cry..I wonder what that flash back was..it looked like he was looking at his future self almost? Are they all clones or something?

I know right? I kind of wanted the little brother to stop talking because you could see Ledo's brain go haywire as the emotions started interfering. He kept trying to say in an indirect way, "My comrades need me, my people need me", but he's never been taught to think that way so instead what came out was "I'm need by the alliance and I'm useful because I'm healthy"... =/ But you could tell he actually realized that needing someone and having someone need you is entirely different. I'm just glad he's processing this all rationally and step by step rather than losing it due to emotional overload that he can't control (like the tears).
Apr 28, 2013 2:00 PM
Sep 2012
I really hope Amy's friends start saying more things. Currently they just seem to be there to call Ledo hot. I'm glad Ledo is coming out of his robotic shell though.
Apr 28, 2013 2:03 PM

Jun 2011
Amy's friends look like whores .
Apr 28, 2013 2:03 PM

Mar 2013
what a BEAUTIFUL episode!
I love how Ledo is learning to be human!
Animes like this are truly unique, and wonderful to watch.

Gen Urobachi seems to be taking a different route this time with this anime, unlike Psycho-pass and fate/zero. Or is he...? :P

5/5!
Apr 28, 2013 2:05 PM

May 2012
Amazing episode! I can't wait till next week for episode 5! :D

As for the part when Led hears the flute playing and shows the flashback, I think that was him in the container and his mother on the outside. It was probably when he was called into the military and taken away from his mother.

Just a thought.

Apr 28, 2013 2:19 PM

Apr 2013
Spirai said:
starmaker032 said:

For a moment there I thought Ledo might kill Amy's brother just because he kept using the word "need", my sister "needs" me and I "need" her...didn't expect Ledo to cry..I wonder what that flash back was..it looked like he was looking at his future self almost? Are they all clones or something?

I know right? I kind of wanted the little brother to stop talking because you could see Ledo's brain go haywire as the emotions started interfering. He kept trying to say in an indirect way, "My comrades need me, my people need me", but he's never been taught to think that way so instead what came out was "I'm need by the alliance and I'm useful because I'm healthy"... =/ But you could tell he actually realized that needing someone and having someone need you is entirely different. I'm just glad he's processing this all rationally and step by step rather than losing it due to emotional overload that he can't control (like the tears).

I don't think he actually understands?? Like how can he?? Was that person in the flashback someone he "needed"?? I don't get it..If I was him I would be so damn confused but it seems all he wants to do is learn more while he waits to get back. Which means he still wants to go back and doesn't have any real attachments to Amy or Gargantia who really disappointed me making him work because he blew a hangar while they were pointing guns at him.
Apr 28, 2013 2:20 PM
Feb 2013
Episode was ok. Nothing special, but nothing that was inconsistent and irked me like the scene in ep.3 of Ledo being forbidden to kill, while they themselves start firing their canons on the pirates...

All and all, it was pretty good: more of a calm interlude, with some discovering of how life works on earth (well, on Gargantia), as well as further insight in the culture Ledo is from. Some further characterisation as well, especially of the lil brother.

Intereo said:
Amy's friends look like whores .

True. :-)
Apr 28, 2013 2:25 PM

Sep 2008
As much as I ranted about logic during previous episode this one reminded me once again how much I like everything else about it.
Great episode, for some strange reason this show relaxes me a lot, I can just sit back and enjoy those 20 minutes. I love it.
Apr 28, 2013 2:25 PM

Sep 2012
Great art, setting, presentation and dialogues, but WHERE'S THE PLOT? HUH? ONLY 8 EPISODES LEFT, YOU KNOW?!
Apr 28, 2013 2:28 PM
Jul 2009
While I want him to stop talking in fragmented sentences, it's going to be complete bull when he magically masters Earth language by the next episode or two.
Apr 28, 2013 2:33 PM
Oct 2010
Well, I liked the episode. A bit slow, but obviously not a filler.

On the clone thing, I wonder...

It doesn't seem like a good idea to have clones when you're barely able to keep up with your enemies, or at least pure clones.

An accelerated genetic selection would make more sense. So maybe they make small genetic changes and discard the "useless". Then allow those that survive long enough under harsh conditions to be reintegrated into the popular genetic pool by telling them to "normally" reproduce... Or something like that.

Of course, under this concept, those survivors should be really allowed to "freely" reproduce ("freely" as in mad orgy)... especially if they get only 1 week once in a long while... Though I guess women would get more time, for obvious reasons.

... Or maybe they take away the fertilized eggs to repeat the clone/modify cycle. Like this, even women wouldn't need more than a week... OK, I'll stop here, I feel I'm getting into a severily grimm territory....
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Apr 28, 2013 2:57 PM

Jul 2012
I loved this episode! This is truly a beautiful anime :)
Apr 28, 2013 3:01 PM

Jan 2013
nina4life said:
Great episode, for some strange reason this show relaxes me a lot, I can just sit back and enjoy those 20 minutes. I love it.

Exactly the same thing for me, even if it was a bit more slow paced I really enjoyed the episode.
Apr 28, 2013 3:19 PM

Sep 2012
Ok episode, even though I wonder why Urobutcher decided to get involved with th project.
Apr 28, 2013 3:19 PM

Nov 2012
starmaker032 said:
Spirai said:
starmaker032 said:

I don't think he actually understands?? Like how can he?? Was that person in the flashback someone he "needed"?? I don't get it..If I was him I would be so damn confused but it seems all he wants to do is learn more while he waits to get back. Which means he still wants to go back and doesn't have any real attachments to Amy or Gargantia who really disappointed me making him work because he blew a hangar while they were pointing guns at him.

Well, they have to pretend they have some sort of control over him. Gargantia's trying to soothe its citizens by pretending it has Ledo in some sort of debt because he destroyed a tiny part of the ship. By making a 'deal', they're displaying compromise to the general population and that puts them at ease. Ledo, on the other hand, like you said, is slightly curious but also just wants to go back.
Apr 28, 2013 3:34 PM

Dec 2007
Loved this episode! It's nice to see Ledo get baffled by the earthlings actions ^_^ and *violent sobbing* after that Ledo flashback! :p
Apr 28, 2013 3:41 PM

Jul 2007
Spirai said:
AoiMizu said:
PoeticJustice said:
Nice ep.

Looks like Ledo is a clone.

wow..that will be DEEP......but its not impossible as most space people got sliver hair and purple eyes..

But if they just clone, then why in the first episode would Chamber suggest that Ledo go and reproduce a bunch during his four weeks (days?) of vacation?

That actually supports him being a clone.

The fact that reproduction is something you need PERMISSION for could imply that main population source to keep up the war is cloning.
Apr 28, 2013 3:53 PM

Jul 2010
I really like the way how the two entirely different cultures and ways of life come together like this. Ledo just can't comprehend their existence and vice versa. All the way they're learning from each other about what their lives mean.

That flute has some real significance to him huh? Judging from the flashbacks he led a pretty sterile life.

Apr 28, 2013 4:10 PM

Dec 2011
Although I was expecting this episode to be more of a relaxing episode, as in no 'action' taking place, it was still refreshing.
Apr 28, 2013 4:18 PM

Aug 2011
This was a really chill episode and I really loved the beautiful atmosphere as well. Alongside with the animation, this show is just amazing overall.

Ledo is put to work due to his damage and tax he is obligated to pay while he is staying, which is kinda funny, and somewhat overpowered with his Yonburo, Chamber. In the end, Ledo is just chillin' while Chamber does all the work, pretty funny.

Ledo seeking for information, barely got some from the Doc, but Belev got some tears out of him, I wonder who that kid was, his child? Or maybe his father? Or even a clone? So many questions unanswered!!

This Belev kid is the person character to kill in a show like this if UroBUTCHER is planning here for this show... Which for the matter has been absent that I am starting to question if this really is the work of him, or that he just wrote the script for some specific episodes.

The rain was just beautiful, loved it. Just shows how vital water actually is in a civilization on the verge of extinct, and also to mention how well they work together for a common goal, to survive and live on.

We got some foreshadowing in this episode and I'm already looking forward to the next episode.

Apr 28, 2013 4:39 PM

Jun 2011
I'm guessing that the child in the flashback was Ledo's little brother, who was sickly like Bebel. The scene where he was sent away in the tube was actually him going through extermination, and Ledo only finds out what has happened after looking at the empty tube case afterwards. He then either went through brainwashing or PTSD or something, and rid himself of the necessary sentiment in order to act like the soldier he was supposed to be.

The fact that Urobochi is writing the final episode makes me think that Ledo will find his purpose for living, and sacrifice himself for the Gargantians/Bebel in order to protect them, partially because he couldn't protect his own family in the past. Ledo (Redo) will redo and fix the mistakes that he once made.

While I dislike how the show is constantly preaching morals to the audience, I suppose that it is necessary for Ledo. I look forward to each episode-- it's quite healing, idk.
[An incredibly creative signature]
Apr 28, 2013 4:46 PM

Jul 2010
Really nice, calm and relaxing episode.I say yes to more of these ^^
Apr 28, 2013 4:50 PM

Oct 2012
that was really touching. I've really started to like Ledo. If he ends up dieing at the end of the series, I might actually cry. The atmosphere and world building is great in this anime, and the development is strong too. I think I might cry if any of the characters die.
Apr 28, 2013 5:06 PM
Mar 2013
Just echoing what several of you said here but, man did that scene with the flute have me choked up.

I am really enjoying this series so far, and is one of my favorites of the season. I love how they portray the difference in culture between Ledo and the 'Earthlings.' Like how he sees everything in black or white, useful or not useful, efficient or inefficient.

Also as a really family-oriented individual, I really found it hard to imagine a life such as Ledo's without one (or rather his lack of awareness of one, since it seemed like he MAY have had someone that would be considered family in the past).
Apr 28, 2013 5:10 PM
Jan 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Dolitza said:
I'm a question mark with this series... Is this really Urobuchis work???

He's only written episode 1 so far, something I've tried to repeat to people many times. We'll probably know when he's writing again and I expect it to coincide with whenever the Alliance or Hideauze emerge again. I think he's specifically handling those parts of the stories while other guest writers are handling the life on Gargantia elements. Probably for the best as his character interactions tend to be very wooden, stiff and full of jargon and these current sets of episodes need a touch of lightheartedness and an intimate feel to work, which isn't one of his strengths as a writer going by Fate/Zero, Psycho Pass and yes even at times Madoka Magica.
...No. Writing script and series composition is a different story. Entire series plot is done by Urobuchi + some modification from director. There are no such 'guest writers' in this series.
Apr 28, 2013 5:13 PM

Nov 2010
I'm starting to love Suisei no Gargantia. I'm not very good at putting my thoughts to words, but I'll try:

I find clash of the two completely different cultures very fascinating. On the other side we have a culture similar to our culture (or what would be considered "normal" from the standpoint of us, viewers). On the other side we have Ledo who came from a culture where humans are basically just a tools to fight off enemies. Neither of those two cultures can understand each other, which is further encouraged by keeping us, viewers, in the dark about Alliance-Hideauze war and history of Galactice Alliance in general.

What I specifically liked was Ledo's... how would I say... character growth? He slowly started to realize that his soldier way of life, the one implanted in him through various methods - including military propaganda - could be... lackluster, for the lack of better word. Only answers he could come up with to Bellows', Doc's and Bevel's questions were military propaganda, not only because he was "bred" as soldier but also because realized saw he doesn't have any better answer. Pinnacle of that was when Bevel asked him a crucial question: "What will you do after Hideauze were defeated?" After all those conversations, his mind is clearly in the state of confusion, which Chambers makes note of.

Not to mention Ledo's reaction to the sound of flute.
astroprogs said:
If HF ended up being a single movie, what would it need to do so it can get a high score from all of you?

Not air.
Apr 28, 2013 5:14 PM

May 2012
Nice episode.
Kinda like Chamber. Wonder about Ledo's past. Plot is really interesting, hope it's getting better.

Manly tears shed
Apr 28, 2013 5:16 PM

Apr 2013
Am I the only one that thinks this show should/needs more than 12 episodes? I mean, we've only seen 4 so far, so it may be hard to say, but it has so much potential that it makes me wonder how they will condense it all into 12 episodes. Perhaps a second season?

I think this episode was the best one so far. I think this episode actually gives us a great deal of understanding as to where the show is headed. It seems like this show won't be too much about the action and more about how Ledo changes from his otherwise heartless and systematic lifestyle to a relaxed, more natural (as in, similar to our own in many ways) of Gargantia. This will also inevitably touch on personal philosophies and lifestyle. I think the show will most likely revolve around the personality and character, and philosophical development of Ledo. This conclusion would make me believe that the climax of the show (whether that happens in these 11 episodes or a season season, I do not know) will probably be the moment of decision for Ledo as he decides to stay on Gargantia or go to Galactic Alliance. Nonetheless, seems like a healing anime for me, calm and reflective series, not too much important action outside of Chamber showing off, and will be focused more on the themes of life.

This episode also pretty much gave us the typical "anime thumbs up," for the M.C. relationship: Amy - Ledo. In other words, once the best friends of the female protagonist suggests a relationship with the male protagonist, you can be assured it's either going to happen or be heavily suggested.

EDIT: Oops, meant 12 episodes.
I wrote an API for MAL, written in pure Python.

It wraps around the Official MAL API and improves on it, as well as adding some new features. Check it out!:

Apr 28, 2013 5:30 PM

Mar 2013
Utagaii said:
Am I the only one that thinks this show should/needs more than 12 episodes? I mean, we've only seen 4 so far, so it may be hard to say, but it has so much potential that it makes me wonder how they will condense it all into 12 episodes. Perhaps a second season?

I think this episode was the best one so far. I think this episode actually gives us a great deal of understanding as to where the show is headed. It seems like this show won't be too much about the action and more about how Ledo changes from his otherwise heartless and systematic lifestyle to a relaxed, more natural (as in, similar to our own in many ways) of Gargantia. This will also inevitably touch on personal philosophies and lifestyle. I think the show will most likely revolve around the personality and character, and philosophical development of Ledo. This conclusion would make me believe that the climax of the show (whether that happens in these 11 episodes or a season season, I do not know) will probably be the moment of decision for Ledo as he decides to stay on Gargantia or go to Galactic Alliance. Nonetheless, seems like a healing anime for me, calm and reflective series, not too much important action outside of Chamber showing off, and will be focused more on the themes of life.

This episode also pretty much gave us the typical "anime thumbs up," for the M.C. relationship: Amy - Ledo. In other words, once the best friends of the female protagonist suggests a relationship with the male protagonist, you can be assured it's either going to happen or be heavily suggested.

EDIT: Oops, meant 12 episodes.

Apr 28, 2013 5:38 PM

Apr 2013
SummerYoung said:

It wraps around the Official MAL API and improves on it, as well as adding some new features. Check it out!:

Apr 28, 2013 5:40 PM

Apr 2013
Oh the man tears I cried when Bevel played the flute. That scene was so sad.(Which is good).
Apr 28, 2013 5:48 PM

Feb 2013
Not an action-packed episode like the previous 2 but it was filled with character development and establishing Ledo and Chamber's roll in society kind of. I enjoyed it. Also when It started to rain i wondered if Chamber could have used some anti-gravity like when he flies to just catch a bunch of water. Also the kid with the flute looked similar to Ledo, I wonder if he is a clone
[/url]
Apr 28, 2013 5:59 PM

Sep 2011
Relaxing episode with some nice development :).
Apr 28, 2013 6:19 PM

Jul 2011
jayvon said:
I love watching this anime. I wish they made it longer.
Apr 28, 2013 6:29 PM

Apr 2013
ainky said:
jayvon said:

I third this.

Apr 28, 2013 6:31 PM

Jan 2009
Tyrel said:
Relaxing episode with some nice development :).

nice episode indeed
Apr 28, 2013 6:37 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Nice episode.

Enough said.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 28, 2013 6:37 PM

Mar 2013
ainky said:
jayvon said:

This.
Apr 28, 2013 6:41 PM

Nov 2012
Nice episode.

Apr 28, 2013 7:09 PM

Nov 2011
Really enjoying everything about this show. I love that they are tackling the language barrier gradually and not just flashing to a point where he speaks fluently. Also interesting to see Ledo's memories and also hear about how weird life in the Galactic Alliance is.

Oh, and also

(image under spoiler)

XD
Apr 28, 2013 7:37 PM

Dec 2012
Slow but good episode. The super-soldier is slowly being deprogrammed by the primitives =D

And yes, he is an L-Elf clone, or vice-versa =D

Definitely top 3 with "Shingeki no Kyojin" and "Hataraku Maou-sama!" for spring shows!
Apr 28, 2013 7:51 PM

May 2012
Really loving this show deeply~
It could easily be one of the more memorable anime shows if things are pulled off well enough!

I am sooooo glad this isn't a mecha show (MJP and Valverave got that covered just fine), but really more of a show about Ledo finding humanity as someone else on here put it.

That scene when he had that flashback was really touching and I cried right along with him T_T
Apr 28, 2013 7:52 PM

Mar 2012
W're about 1/3 way through the series already...I wish it's gonna be longer. Nothing really happens, but the whole setting is just really nice. Plus, it looks like Red is gradually going to find his own humanity on Gargantia. I wonder what'll happen when he does find the coordinates to go back to space.
Apr 28, 2013 8:04 PM

Jan 2011
A rather calm and slow episode but I loved it! Ledo's way of thinking and his overall lifestyle is so different compared to people on Earth. So seems like Bevel blowing into the flute reminded Ledo of his 'brother'. That was quite emotional seeing him cry. I really like how Ledo is trying so hard to speak their language. :)
Apr 28, 2013 8:07 PM

Dec 2011
Dat_Walrus said:
ainky said:
jayvon said:

This.

x2
Apr 28, 2013 8:19 PM

Aug 2010
That was a nice and calm episode. Was sad to see Ledo cry in the end. I'm expecting more of his past to be revealed later on.
Apr 28, 2013 8:28 PM
Jan 2010
I like the series. I like the friendships and the little bit of back story we got today. I keep bracing myself for any unexpected deaths...I mean it's so heart-warming right now that I keep thinking something big and tragic is going to happen at the end...Urobutcher...what are you planning to do? :'D
Apr 28, 2013 8:31 PM

Jun 2011
awww Ledo was too cute during this episode *q*
Apr 28, 2013 8:49 PM

Jan 2012
Ledo cried @@
i wonder who`s the other that looks like ledo :O
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.