Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Apr 18, 2014 8:06 AM

Jul 2013
Wow, things just got down big time! The anime is almost over and lots of surprises to come.
Apr 29, 2014 3:52 PM

Aug 2013
It's a bit bad to say this after all that happened, but I think their current humanity kinda deserved it. Don't get me wrong, what Yakomaru is doing is really horrible, but he's pretty much doing them the same thing they did to them. It's a (almost) fair payback if you ask me.

So the fiend was Maria and Mamoru kid after all... The Robber Fly probably offered them to hide them. When they had a child, they probably killed them in their sleep or something like this. They raised the child to become a monster and hate human. That's really too horrible, this show is horrible, it make me sick... It's a rare feeling I get when watching anime, that mean that it's a success :P

Now, what will happen? It really look like the humanity is reaching their extinction. I must say that I don't really understand why Shisei didn't just sacrifice himself and accept the return of death. It was kill and die or be killed. It was a kinda stupid move in my opinion.

Saki now have to take the lead, but the lead of what? There is nothing left. Probably a few human wandering in the woods around, but they'll probably be killed soon or later. I don't really see what they have to build on now. The only way they could win is if they could somehow find a way to counter the return of death, then people wouldn't be scared to kill the fiend.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 24, 2014 7:57 AM

Nov 2013
so did yakomaru end up killing maria and mamoru? thats so sad. :(
Jun 1, 2014 2:32 PM

Jul 2013
nasty creatures are nasty
i just hope they kick their ass
also, i am not so sure if maria and mamoru are really dead... who knows
Jun 9, 2014 5:48 AM

Jul 2013
If Saki honestly thinks that the rat creatures were treated right shes either arrogant, naive or incredibly stupid. I would go far as say that they were relatively well treated if you compare their conditions to black slaves in America but saying that they were well treated is such bs.

Humans were willing to basically kill 500 thousands of them because of few "bad apples" so they have absolutely no right to criticize the rats.
Jun 16, 2014 8:36 PM

Nov 2012
Damn, this episode was a mindfuck. Essentially, the queerats had prepared everything perfectly in their conquest. I cringed at the sight of Maria and Mamoru's child kneeling down in front of a queerat.
Jun 27, 2014 2:34 PM

Feb 2014
That was fucking depressing. For a while I thought the fiend was Maria, thanks to the character design that makes him look exactly like her (BTW he has by far the creepiest scream I've heard). I thought the queerrats killed Mamoru which drove her insane (although I think it's unlikely that would happen), turning her into a fiend. Turns out it was even worse.

Also, I don't get why Saki waited 12 years to tell the ethics committee about the Robber Fly colony trying to develop the technology of the old civilization by capturing a fake Minoshiro, and also having adopted democracy instead following the queen. Wouldn't that be important enough to at least mention in passing? They would've been much better prepared for a situation like this.
VhailorJun 27, 2014 11:25 PM
Jul 7, 2014 4:14 PM

Jan 2014
Knew leaving those 2 to be would cause problems down the road. Shun was right in telling Saki to take care of it earlier.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 2, 2014 4:44 AM

Feb 2011
..maria is the fiend?? :O
no he/she looks younger..

it may look terribly on the long run, but it should take 10 years for the rats to completely take over
if the humans manage to bring back the childs they may have a chance to stop this course

@Vhailor
"Also, I don't get why Saki waited 12 years to tell the ethics committee about the Robber Fly colony trying to develop the technology of the old civilization by capturing a fake Minoshiro, and also having adopted democracy instead following the queen. Wouldn't that be important enough to at least mention in passing? They would've been much better prepared for a situation like this."
right, but guess that was part of the "overstimating the enemy cause to overconfident of their cantus"

continue to think that if they had invested some more time in defensive PK all this mess with karma demons and fiends would be not as much worrying
but they're all instead glass cannons...
ZeandoAug 2, 2014 4:48 AM

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Aug 6, 2014 4:03 PM

Jan 2014
OH MY GOD.

Best episode. Niimi-san, why am I feeling sorry for a character I just met? The scene was beautiful.
Squealer is one of the best villains I've seen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 17, 2014 2:35 PM

May 2009
Oh wow, I really didn't expect Maria and Mamarou to actually be dead. All along I thought they were the brains behind this offense and they were just using the monster rats.

That Squealer bastard! He must have sheltered the two of them until they eventually had a child, then killed them in cold blood. How pitiful!
Sep 24, 2014 8:03 AM

Jan 2014
Best episode so far. I wasn't expecting such outcome, that Queerats are abducting human childs..
Nov 2, 2014 1:24 PM

Sep 2014
So if Maria got killed after giving birth, why did Saki say it was better if she wasn't born to begin with? Mamoru could have still run off and some other chick could have stayed behind and gave birth to the future ogre, so why only antagonizing Maria? Mamoru shares just as much fault as Maria for having a child.

Hate that rat fucker, I wouldnt be surprised if he lobotomized the two and used them for breeding purposes, killed them off, and sent the two their real skeletons. *shiver*
Nov 7, 2014 8:38 AM

Mar 2013
Ooooh, so it was Maria and Mamoru's child. I thought Maria (+ mayba Mamoru) wasn't really dead, but rather had turned into a fiend. Well them having a kid was another possibility of course, and it makes sense if you consider what Maria said in a previous episode.

SaveTheAralSea said:
Hate that rat fucker, I wouldnt be surprised if he lobotomized the two and used them for breeding purposes, killed them off, and sent the two their real skeletons. *shiver*

Haha, well at least that's the kind of fucked up things one can imagine happening in this show by now.
Jan 1, 2015 12:30 PM

Sep 2014
Wait what?

Wouldn't the ogre just turn on the rat people? How did they even create an ogre?
Jan 17, 2015 6:28 PM

Sep 2011
OH my god... Everything in the grand scheme... Everything as planned... This series is fucking amazing. Yoshimaru is a fucking bastard, but is he wrong?
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Mar 8, 2015 5:47 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
As I suspected, the child of Maria and Mamoru is the Ogre. What a destructive force they have when there are no checks and balances on their minds. A few episodes ago I was criticizing their society for the way it treated his young, but this episode makes me question myself.

Squealer is a vicious, scheming fiend, but you cannot deny his genius. He masterminded a plan that utterly and completely outwitted and destroyed the society that the Elders had so carefully put together.

They going to have to remove the Death of Shame limitation from some of them, if they want to survive. I don't know what Squealer can do with 10 children like that.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 14, 2015 1:45 PM

Feb 2013
43211 said:
Wait wait wait!!! So why are the fiends so overpowered? Why cant they be affected by the whole revenge death thing? It seems to me like they are just psychos with magic ability. What makes them so much stronger then the other humans? Was this explained in episodes 1-21? If so, I think I missed it.

Wow Squealer. Youre one of the greatest villains in anime history I have ever seen.

smth in the genetic code "death feedback" kills you when you kill another human or want to kill him. Fiends are people where this genetic code through an illness doesnt work anymore and they go amok.

Example: Imagine 20 people in a class, 1 somehow is brainill and doesnt care about ethics, and has a machine gun with ammu, while the others have machineguns without amu, because they cant kill each other. And since he is a madman he just shoots all in the class :P ^^
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Apr 27, 2015 5:18 AM

Oct 2013
I have nothing to say except... what a horrifying episode.

That Hitler comparison from a few threads back is really sounding legit right about now.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Apr 27, 2015 5:21 AM

Jan 2014
Lel, I just didn't get if Mamorou and Maria made that baby themselves, or did the Monster Rats made it for them, with their cells. That kid is cool nevertheless :Đ I like how he beat that double pupils guy, he was just starting to get annoying ;) Kudos <3 And I have no idea who that other random guy was. Izumi or whatevs.
Apr 27, 2015 6:37 AM

Jan 2010
I've read the explanation of Squeeler's plan, but it doesn't make sense. Remember that while humans are psychologically conditioned not to hurt other humans, it is the genetic modifications added to the gene pool that cause attack inhibition and death feedback. The lack of conditioning and education would mean the child wouldn't know not to attack, but as soon as it did, it would die. Perhaps a few would be killed first, but that's not what happened. Remember, the "Fiends" are created by a genetic mutation of the genes controlling the death feedback. Raising a kid as a murder machine wouldn't make the mutation happen on its own.
Apr 27, 2015 9:08 AM

Feb 2013
thaumx said:
I've read the explanation of Squeeler's plan, but it doesn't make sense. Remember that while humans are psychologically conditioned not to hurt other humans, it is the genetic modifications added to the gene pool that cause attack inhibition and death feedback. The lack of conditioning and education would mean the child wouldn't know not to attack, but as soon as it did, it would die. Perhaps a few would be killed first, but that's not what happened. Remember, the "Fiends" are created by a genetic mutation of the genes controlling the death feedback. Raising a kid as a murder machine wouldn't make the mutation happen on its own.

you are wrong. its about killing your own kind. But the kid was grown under squealers care without any human contact so ofc it thinks its a rat herself. Thats why the deathfeedback doesnt work when she kills humans. Thats also the reason why at the fight between the colonies, there was a report that all arrows were not used, like when a cantus caught them in midair.... she didnt kill any rats there. just stopped the range attacks.
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Jul 14, 2015 3:03 AM
Dec 2011
oh....my...god... that little girl is mamoru's and maria's kid? that means they are really dead?! i hoped both of them lived some how actually it was just a wish because the corpse that were given was proved by DNA that it is 100% maria and mamoru ........ no one can copy a persons DNA !

there are 2 possibilities . 1- mamoru and maria lived together only the two of them for a year had a baby then maria and mamoru was killed by a huge group of monster rats and then the monster rats got the baby then raised it .

2- mamoru and maria were hiding and living with the rats until maria and mamoru had their baby then the rats betrayed mamoru and maria and killed them .

the monster rats got info about humans from " potable library= the false minoshirou "
but i do think there is a lot more to the story :3
Aug 13, 2015 10:49 AM

Nov 2014
From what I saw and heard on the show, it sounds like Yakumaro forced Mamoru and Maria to have a baby and then first killed Maria when mamoru wasn't around.Then he killed Mamoru when he saw Maria's dead body. Then they took the baby from them.
Oct 3, 2015 2:43 PM

Jan 2014
Yakomaru is frightening.
Oct 5, 2015 10:29 AM

Jan 2013
Hell of an information drop.
So this is Maria's and Mamoru's child, - she does look like both of them a lot btw :D

Yakumaru's big plan explained, making fiends over time with the children of humans ...

Great episode for sure.
PrOxAntoJul 21, 2019 5:14 AM
Nov 2, 2015 8:34 AM

Mar 2015
This is one of the exceptional time that I don't want the bad guy to win.
I can't handle this.
KotobakayaroNov 2, 2015 9:14 AM

Nov 2, 2015 12:16 PM

Mar 2015
GuidedCursor said:
This is one of the exceptional time that I don't want the bad guy to win.
I can't handle this.

I take back my word, I think I truly know the point of the show now.

Jan 6, 2016 12:41 AM

Sep 2013
Rofl.

Feb 26, 2016 6:47 PM

Aug 2014
That rule is so stupid (death feedback thing)
So it was Maria's daughter, That plan Yakomaru made is smart, it was a shock moment when they did those flashback scenes, now it makes sense why they killed the queens, GREAT!

Excellent Episode.
Mar 8, 2016 8:55 PM

Oct 2014
Well yikes. They should have just let Squealer die all those years ago
Mar 20, 2016 7:54 PM

May 2015
Intense episode. How do the monster rats survive from the ogre?
Apr 9, 2016 7:16 AM
May 2012
Imagine if Saki didn't help Squealer when the queen tried to eat him haha.
The queerats waited at least a year before Maria gave birth. That means the bones were given after at least a year. The committee didn't do anything during that time?
Apr 29, 2016 4:53 AM

Sep 2015
If there's one thing I can laud this series for, it's that pretty much every single event actually has great significance. Every little thing shown in the earlier episodes has come full circle and became relevant.

Not too sure on Satoru's revelation of it being Maria and Mamoru's child though. We as the viewers were given hints, flashbacks and the like, but Satoru has just came up with that seemingly out of nowhere. He hasn't been shown discussing it or theorising about it. If we weren't given Narrative Saki's regrets, if we weren't shown that random scene of Maria mentioning a child, the notion of it being their child would be less prolific.
The execution of this has been a little shabby, which is a shame.

Still wondering why Fiends don't suffer from death feedback. It's been proven that it's not just a mental thing - even though it also can be - when humans died after accidentally killing other humans without realising it. It seems really inconsistent. If you kill a rat or whatever but you think it's a human, you get death feedback. If you kill a human but 100% believe it's not a human, you STILL get death feedback.

So why is it Fiends don't get it? Even if they don't mentally consider other humans to be the same as itself, we've been shown that it's more than just a mental thing, so it should be affecting them.
Furthermore, the attack inhibition is not a good excuse for no-one sacrificing themselves to take out the Fiend. The priest guy who got murdered by cantus leakage was shown to be able to split the ground underneath the Fiend's feet, causing her to fall down. This shows he can use his Cantus against Fiends / humans in a non-direct manner. What, then, was stopping him from simply covering up the hole he just made and burying the Fiend in the process? He split the ground and made a hole, and then he would be simply covering it up. All indirect, so the Attack Inhibition wouldn't have taken effect.
In this way it seems rather simple to take the Fiend out.
MazApr 29, 2016 5:05 AM
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Aug 3, 2016 4:13 AM

Apr 2009
Maz said:
Not too sure on Satoru's revelation of it being Maria and Mamoru's child though. We as the viewers were given hints, flashbacks and the like, but Satoru has just came up with that seemingly out of nowhere. He hasn't been shown discussing it or theorising about it. If we weren't given Narrative Saki's regrets, if we weren't shown that random scene of Maria mentioning a child, the notion of it being their child would be less prolific. The execution of this has been a little shabby, which is a shame.
Yeah I found that weird and surprising as well for him to suddenly blurt it out although we as an audience could already have an educated guess about it.

What the hell Shisei?! And I thought you were the greatest of the Cantus users, such a shame. X_x Well the death feedback mechanism is working as advertised and it's also gonna be the death of the human race, for the PK-enabled at least. What's the use of the powers when you can't use them to even defend yourself from extinction? In the end, it's back to good ol' human hubris.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 22, 2016 5:00 AM

Mar 2015
Kaburagi killed so easily?

Mamoru and Maria child? Unthinkable. How did Maria did it to Mamoru since she loves Saki?

Okay, another world conquest. I have seen lot of anime regarding conquest.

2.2/5
Sep 13, 2016 10:46 PM

Mar 2015
Damn I also liked Shisei... he seems nice.

But fucking hell, I knew it was related to Maria. But her own daughter? Fuck.

Wait a minute... so when Tomoko said that the dental record perfectly matches Maria and Mamoru, that means they're really dead?! Fucking Yakomaru.

Oct 20, 2016 11:04 PM

Sep 2013
Cirris said:
If you haven't put 2 and 2 together. Robber fly colony promised the bones of the two escapees, Mamoru and Maria. But they said it would take time. Essentially they needed time for Maria and Mamoru to mate and have a child. I'm pretty sure that Squealer sweet talked them into staying with them. When the child was born shortly thereafter, they eliminated the two and gave the bones to the ethics committee as proof.

The little brat was brought up to be the perfect killing machine. He was nursed outside of human control so all the mental barriers placed on the humans with the rituals doesn't apply to him. He is pretty much Squealer's nuclear weapon against the humans.

Thanks for this. I feel like I need to go back and give this show a second viewing to pick up on some of its particulars.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Nov 8, 2016 12:39 AM

Jul 2008
HOLY SHIT MAN....

The depths of Yakomaru's evil is boundless.

To think what he forced Maria and Mamoru to do...
Nov 18, 2016 4:02 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
GoldenGoat said:
Soo what happened to Maria and Mamoru??

Did they die or what?

I think they died, they gave birth to the child and then that fucker killed them, and used their child, which pisses me off even more since first I shit on Mamoru x Maria, and wanted Maria x Saki, second I wanted to see more of Maria, and she is DEAD!!!

FUCK!!!!

They should have killed that Squealer bastard from the start, all of what they could have prevented... this is so retarded, all the more a fiend is really that powerfull, fuck no!
If people got organized, they could kill him, you only need some to act as sacrifices for the death feedback, and then it is done!
I so much want to go on rant right now, I like the show, but the direction it takes just pisses me off (I wanted Maria to be the fiend too), the humans have they cantus, no matter how sneaky that asshole was, everything that happened is just retarded.

So how do I feel about this third arc?!

PlaycoolNov 18, 2016 4:25 PM
Feb 21, 2017 11:46 AM

Aug 2013
I knew from the beginning that this rat was kinda fishy.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 26, 2017 8:47 PM

Sep 2014
Fist step Kamisu, Second Step Japan, Third Step The World. EP 21.

Plot: Kaburagi rises to begin a counterattack on the Queer Rats. Unfortunately the Ogre has appears and its Maria's and Mamoru's kid. He makes short work of Kaburagi, the strongest in Kamisu.

Saki and Satoru get info from a queer rat and learn not only the depths of which they are committed to this plan but apparently the Ogre is the Messiah and the humans are the Ogres for oppressing the Queer rats for so long. Later they manage to escape to the Temple and learn from Inui-san that Squeara's true plan was to nab the children.

For with more children, he will have more Ogres.

Character:Squeara is an evil great strategist. If it gos to his plan, he has already won.

Saki, its time for another breakdown but one you gotta get over quickly. It's time to step up. Satoru, you keep doing you.

Animation/sound: The Ogre's appearance and massacre was horrifying. Not just because of its strength but because of the implications behind him and what the future holds for those other babies.

5/5. OF COURSE! Squera wants to rule the world.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jul 1, 2017 3:52 PM

Nov 2016
Shiseis death was cruel..

And what ? Maria and Mamoru had a child ? That was quite surprising tbh as well as Squealers ambitious plan to build up a army of Demons.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 18, 2017 12:46 AM

May 2015
This is a plan so brilliant, it makes me want to root for the rats. Squealer for world domination. Those stupid humans deserve it.
Aug 16, 2017 12:52 PM
Jun 2016
I'm glad I didn't drop it! From episode 17, the show's getting better and better
Oct 14, 2017 4:12 PM

Jul 2009
No, another awesome side character dies :( Shisei was so cool ... and the Fiend, confirmed to be Maria and Mamoru's child, kills him >_< Dang she's definitely crazy, and so is Yakomaru's plan ... steal children and use their Cantus to kill everyone. So I get the Fiend is cooperating with the queerats since they raised her, but how does that prevent her from killing all of them too? Not to mention did they kill Maria and Mamoru after she gave birth so they could use their bones as evidence? I mean even if they had sex right after they left, the queerats would have to wait 9 months before they could kill them ... OK, and what happened to Niimi? It doesn't seem like he survived but he managed to get to the town hall and warn people by playing that Go Home song? I'm confused T_T Well either way how are they going to defeat the queerats?! :O Come on Saki I know you can think of something :P
Oct 20, 2017 7:39 AM
Nov 2015
Oh the execution the execution!!!!
It's really hard to feel shocked and scared with the scene happening in daylight, with the emotional dramatic music banging so loudly (as if to cue us this is important), and the character designs.
And so much time is spent on voice actors exclaiming "Ahhh Ahhh", and the characters' eyes widening.

It's a good show, a good premise, and they ruined it by sloppy animation and bad designs. And now I hate A-1 Pictures even more.
Oct 29, 2017 8:33 PM

Oct 2017
No wonder Saki said that if she hadn't been born, none of this would have happen.

If they didn't break the False library creature's defense mechanism, they wouldn't have learn all their secrets.

If they didn't get info about the Trickster cat, Mamou and Maria wouldn't have left the village.

If they didn't help that dirty rat to win the war, none of this would have happen in the first place.

Honestly many time I wanna say just kill that dirty scumbag , but they did not do that whatsoever.
Nov 1, 2017 2:32 AM

Jun 2013
I was wrong. It's embarrassing, but I'm glad I was. So the fiend isn't Maria, but her kid. This makes more sense, and is also more interesting. Now I see that in Maria's comment in one of the earlier episodes about not being able to have a baby with Saki was hinting to these developments.
LeeTailorNov 1, 2017 2:38 AM
Feb 13, 2018 11:16 AM

Aug 2017
So, that little brat is the son/daughter of Maria and Mamoru. He or she is Squealer's trump card. Oh, no, the most powerful user of Cantus is dead. 4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.