Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Mar 3, 2013 12:30 PM
Feb 2013

Nice to see that you put some considerable thought into this; it's always a pleasure to have a profound (rational) conversation of something with people who put effort in it, even if we don't agree on everything.

I'll start with your last part: the cat of Shrödinger. You didn't need to sigh, my friend, I'm well aware it is used to demonstrate a concept, not a real-life cat. But I DID say it was the philosophical aspect, and it WAS to demonstrate the principle of it. Furthermore, it has an actual ground, at least as far as quantummechanic particles are observed: there, you can't, in effect, know if or where it exists until it is observed. Meaning: the universe isn't as simple as we experience on a macro-level. And I'm not arguing for some vague metaphysical concept, rest assured; I'm quite fond of the scientific method.

However, and this was the point; the *principle* of science is, that nothing is certain in an 'absolute' way. Science is not there to uncover some absolute truth; it is there to give an as close as possible approximation of the observable reality. Nothing more, nothing less. For instance, if one would observe 1000 ravens, and you came to the conclusion that all are black, this would be true, but only in a relative sense, namely as far as no observation contradicts this. The moment one sees a white raven, however, the conclusion is not valid anymore. Any conclusion, thus, is always temporary, and is directly related to the observation of it.

As far as a concept is launched, thus, that would say that something isn't there when you don't observe it, in actuality, science can not say anything about it. It might be possible, an it might not be. We presume everything is still there, because we didn't experience the lack of something when we aren't observing - obviously - but this doesn't mean it's impossible, just as with the white raven. One can't argue, thus, that it is *certain* that everything is there - as you claimed - whether we look or hear it, or not; we only assume there is. I'm not saying that assumption is unreasonable, but I'm saying you can't say such a thing in any absolute certainty.

My other point was, that morality, contrary to a stone, is not a physical entity, but something that is created in the mind; if those minds do not exist, thus, no morality exists. you didn't go into that, alas. There is NO objectivity independent of the mind, since the concept of objectivity itself is something of the mind. We seem to regard the terms of 'objectivity' and 'universalism' differently, and I have the distinct impression you use it in a completely 'absolute' sense.

But now to the principle matter: you seem to think I am busy in a circular reasoning, and I can follow why you came to think that. I should have explained better what I meant by 'universal' principles sooner, me thinks. But I did in this last post, so I'm not sure why you're still puzzled about it, then. You still seem to regard 'universal' in a way that is nowhere what I explained I meant with the terminology. So let's be sure we comprehend eachother: if your stance would be, that universalism needs an unknown, omniscient, neutral yet imaginary observer, yet that it exists outside of any observer (which would contradict the first) or any mind, and is completely 'absolute'...then of course you are right: such a thing does not exist. But that wasn't my claim. Maybe I should have made that more clear.

As said, I regard 'universal principles' as those principles which have a common ground and are widely applicable. You claim than that such thing might not exist between two groups. Indeed. Well, if no common ground exist, than no peaceful solution can be found, and ultimately, the one that remains (the victorious) can dictate his moral stance (in fact, if it's the only set of morals left, because everyone else is killed, than it is the ONLY moral set left). That was exactly what I was saying.

However, I do think there are always common grounds to be found, for all living beings, and for all sentient beings. Your counter-claim that biological instincts do not work with humans anymore was irrelevant in this; I never spoke about instincts, I spoke about biology. We're still biological entities, and thus we still have the same cravings and longings and necessities as all biological entities. This does not change when we are sentient. In fact, purely going by instinct would probably have a detrimental effect on establishing a peaceful way of determining ones' moral rights. Thus, you mistook what I said as being 'instincts', but I only said our biology is also one of the possible basises to use as a common ground (since it's a common factor).

Furthermore, as said: in the anime, both humans and queerats are social animals, with a hierarchical structured society; that yet again, gives a whole set more of common ground. Even when would claim, as you did in your last post, that it's not because you agree to A you can agree to B, this is not the issue, since those considerations are already being made AFTER a common principle was established. Because the moment you AGREE to point A, you already have established that there is a common ground to base oneself on. In that case, you just continue from those principles you used to agree on A, and apply them on B. A principle of reciprocity, for instance: every argument from one party may be reversed to the other. The principle of reciprocity has a high degree of inherent logic in it, because when you make an argument and claim it valid, than it still remains valid if the other party claims it too, under the same circumstances and conditions. And when one *does not* agree to that principle, than logic dictates, neither does the other party have to adhere to it. (In which case, if the conflict continues, it boils down to whoever has enough force to claim it in that way, and thus the 'moral darwinism' we spoke of).
Mar 4, 2013 1:13 AM

Nov 2010
You know there is despair there is darkness and then there is kyubey cackling in his grave.

This episode described my reactions perfectly.
Shit hitting the fan? More like a meteorite hitting a wind turbine.

Mar 7, 2013 3:23 PM

Nov 2008
Now, what would have happened had you never saved 'Yakomaru' from drowning ehh.. Saki?
Mar 9, 2013 4:29 PM
Oct 2012
can anyone explain this whole episode to me?
what i know so far: the fiend is mamoru and maria's child stolen from yokomaru and that it killed shisei san. am i right? 0.0
Mar 17, 2013 1:52 PM

Sep 2009
so it was mamoru and maria's son.. poor maria and mamoru.. they were just used. that those bones are them. their son become fiend! what a terrible.. you can say that the color of his hair came from maria and his eyes came from mamoru..
gaa... throughout the whole episode, all i can see is saki's eyes!
Mar 21, 2013 5:24 PM

Jul 2012
Cirris said:
If you haven't put 2 and 2 together. Robber fly colony promised the bones of the two escapees, Mamoru and Maria. But they said it would take time. Essentially they needed time for Maria and Mamoru to mate and have a child. I'm pretty sure that Squealer sweet talked them into staying with them. When the child was born shortly thereafter, they eliminated the two and gave the bones to the ethics committee as proof.

The little brat was brought up to be the perfect killing machine. He was nursed outside of human control so all the mental barriers placed on the humans with the rituals doesn't apply to him. He is pretty much Squealer's nuclear weapon against the humans.

Edit:

Also, I noticed a lot of people are asking why don't they just take the "death feedback" and kill the fiend. You need to go back to episode 4 about 9:50 to get your answer. it's explained in great detail and you will realize why it's not possible.

I haven't found out why "fiends" are immune to death feedback. I re-watched "Tomiko's explanation" episode 12. It doesn't REALLY say what is different from a fiend or a regular cantus user.

This episode really showed how arrogant and naive the community had become. The Queerats had this attack so thoroughly planned out. One fiend causing havoc allowed the Queerats to literally run around and take what they wanted, more children to be turned into weapons in the future. The community was sure of their Cantus with regards to Queerats they never thought of them as a real threat.

You finally realize why Narrative Saki wished Maria had never been born. I'm sure she still loved her as she made the comment. But the horror the little brat of hers caused to the community was enough to understand why she said it.
Amazing explanation^^ This episode was great! No episode I've seen has been absolutely horrible so it is to be expected^^ Kyaa, Love this!
Mar 25, 2013 6:25 PM

Dec 2006
desolato said:
Now, what would have happened had you never saved 'Yakomaru' from drowning ehh.. Saki?

Yeah the one who Saki saved was Squonk, someone already corrected you but I was kinda wondering the same question, Who's fault is it?

First if the Board of Education would have successfully killed Mamoru nothing of this would have happened (I hate Mamoru).
But going more backwards if saki and the others wouldn't have helped Squealer in his war, nothing of this would have happened either.
In the end I think it was all because of the experiment conducted on group 1 and the natural curiosity that humans have.
Mar 27, 2013 8:58 PM
Jan 2012
The fact the rats are using Maria's child as a puppet saddens me :l Argh, one of the two characters I cared about is dead (Maria), Saki is the second, but she will live for sure, now the only thing I need is Squeak dying painfully in the end. At least, the "Maria should never have been born" comment makes sense now, but well, I disagree. Squeak is the one who should never have been born.
Mar 29, 2013 3:01 PM

Jul 2007
Ikutozuki said:
Cirris said:
If you haven't put 2 and 2 together. Robber fly colony promised the bones of the two escapees, Mamoru and Maria. But they said it would take time. Essentially they needed time for Maria and Mamoru to mate and have a child. I'm pretty sure that Squealer sweet talked them into staying with them. When the child was born shortly thereafter, they eliminated the two and gave the bones to the ethics committee as proof.

The little brat was brought up to be the perfect killing machine. He was nursed outside of human control so all the mental barriers placed on the humans with the rituals doesn't apply to him. He is pretty much Squealer's nuclear weapon against the humans.

And now I'm dead inside

^This. Forever more.
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
Mar 29, 2013 5:48 PM

Aug 2012
I admire Squealer as a tactician.
Apr 3, 2013 5:14 PM

May 2012
Is it her or isn't that Maria? She didn't looked aged and they did manage to identify her bones... so yea I'm guessing child! But damn to have this all put together is really sick! Lets see what happens next!
Apr 9, 2013 4:01 AM

Sep 2008
This show sure likes to kill off the whole cast.

Sad to find out the fiend wasn't Maria or Mamoru. Guess they really are dead.
Apr 9, 2013 4:12 AM

Mar 2013
5layer said:

You should have sorta noticed earlier when they tell you that the bones were a 100% match to Maria and Mamoru's DNA, etc (can't be bothered finding out) and some stuff how it matched their dental records at their school (the one before the academy).

just saying. >___< i guess you didn't pick it up, but yea....really sad :c
Apr 9, 2013 5:02 AM

Sep 2008
TheLoneBanshee said:
5layer said:

You should have sorta noticed earlier when they tell you that the bones were a 100% match to Maria and Mamoru's DNA, etc (can't be bothered finding out) and some stuff how it matched their dental records at their school (the one before the academy).

just saying. >___< i guess you didn't pick it up, but yea....really sad :c
I did notice that, but it wasn't much of a confirmation at all. Knowing this show, it was possible that they somehow survived. But piecing everything together up to this point, I'm pretty sure they are dead now.
5layerApr 9, 2013 5:07 AM
Apr 21, 2013 2:29 PM

Sep 2011
Wow... amazing... truly mind-blowing.
Apr 28, 2013 5:27 PM

Jun 2008
Wow! World domination plan. I bet Saki wished she left that queen eat his ass all those years back.
Still if Yakomaru raise as lot of human children in the end he will bring his own disaster.
Those children at one moment will decite to do whatever they like and kill the shit out of all of them.
In the end humanity will still develop again but this times human won't have restrictions.

I still don't get why the fiend doesn't get death feedback. According to what the Minoshiro said the death feedback was put inside the human DNA so the fiend should feel it no matter what. Sure maybe is not as strong without human education but is still there.

Also saying that there is a reason why the other human don't take death feedback and kill it isn't accurate because we saw that humans killed humans by mistake while fighting the Queerats. This means they can do it even if it means they will die from the feetback afterwords.

Btw didn't get why that strong guy lost like that. Can anyone explain? Why couldn't he defend?

Elfuun said:
The fact the rats are using Maria's child as a puppet saddens me :l Argh, one of the two characters I cared about is dead (Maria), Saki is the second, but she will live for sure, now the only thing I need is Squeak dying painfully in the end. At least, the "Maria should never have been born" comment makes sense now, but well, I disagree. Squeak is the one who should never have been born.

I don't think Squek is the matter here. If it wasn't him then someone else would have done. From the moment you have too intelligent beings that don't have an equal coexistent status with friendly terms you will end up with a fight over the superiority.
MonadApr 28, 2013 5:42 PM
Apr 30, 2013 3:14 PM

Sep 2011
So they really are dead after all... That's sad :/ What is even more sad is the queerats are using their child :/ (though it was somewhat expected).

I guess I understand why Saki said "it would have been better if Maria wasn't born" (well not exactly these words, but felt like this for sure), but it's really not her fault at all. They really shouldn't have gone away though, Tomiko even promised their safety...

I really don't understand how the queerats killed Maria and Mamoru. Were they stupid and stayed with the queerats? Or did they just go away and they found them?

Biggest idiots are still the humans to let something like this happen as I already stated it in the previous episode.

Didn't expect Shisei to die so easily. I thought at least he would be powerful enough to stop/stall a fiend.
Btw, I read what some people said, but I still think he could have killed the fiend while sacrificing himself. I know the death feedback would have made him hesitate, but I believe he had enough willpower to overcome it just enough to blow the fiend up. He would have died, but the main problem would have been gone.
Inui would have also been able to sacrifice himself when he first saw the fiend.

Squealer's plan is certainly not bad, though I thought the main goal of the ultimate villain would be a little better.

I really, really hope Squealer will die a very horrible death at the end of this all.
RazielZeroApr 30, 2013 3:19 PM
May 17, 2013 2:28 AM

Jan 2013
Damn people dying left and right.
CabronMay 17, 2013 2:33 AM
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 25, 2013 5:31 PM

Aug 2011
Looks like I was right about the ogre being Maria and Mamoru's child. Tragic :/

Damn, at this point saying that shit's gone down would be a huge understatement. How are they going to recover?
Jun 6, 2013 4:36 AM

Jul 2009
So seems that Maria is actually dead =/
The damn Yakomaru is using her kid, he must have searched for them once Saki was gone =/
Jun 20, 2013 9:29 AM

Mar 2012
Fiends are OP.
Jul 3, 2013 5:09 AM

Jun 2011
Whoa, so it was Maria & Mamoru's child, that starts making more sense...
I wonder if they know about what their child is doing now
Jul 4, 2013 2:01 AM

Apr 2013
xAvengerx said:
Fiends are OP.

^ Exactly.

Still can't believe that the Fiend is Maria and Mamoru's child >_<
And Kaburagi was killed so easily.
Jul 7, 2013 10:56 PM

Jun 2013
Holy crap! I really thought that it was gonna be Mamoru who would be the ogre because of how unstable he was and how they tried to kill him earlier, but boy was I wrong.
That smile just adds to the creepiness of it just killing everyone.

I can't believe that Yakomaru is basically trying to reverse the "order", never expected him to go for the infants. I thought that he just wanted to beat the humans.
Aug 11, 2013 4:58 PM

May 2012
I was really thinking it was Mamoru. But when I see the fiend's face, I was like, wait he looks like Mamoru but with Maria's hair! And Saki and Satoru needs to power up. Oh, I think they will not kill the fiend since he is their friends' kid.
Aug 20, 2013 9:38 PM
May 2013
I think that Squealer somehow caught Mamoru and Maria's kid and killed the parent so they could give the bones up. Then they trained the kid from birth to become almost animal like in nature. After she kills Shisei you see her on hands and knees before a Queerat.
Aug 30, 2013 5:57 PM

Feb 2013
Oh....I thought that was Maria.

Wait a minute, does that imply that Squealer killed Maria and Mamoru after they conceived a baby?

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Sep 1, 2013 3:36 PM

Sep 2012
This whole Fiend business shows what happens when you brainwash and disarm the entire populace -- just as in real life:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Behring_Breivik.
UnculturedWhiteySep 1, 2013 3:39 PM
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.
Sep 21, 2013 3:44 AM

Nov 2012
seriously.. is that maria? :O
anyway it is a good episode..
I wonder what happen next..
everyone has gone now
Sep 23, 2013 9:14 AM
Jul 2013
Looks like Akki is so powerful.. she(or he) has killed Shisei so easily.. And Shisei was one of the most powerful humans over there, in Shinsekai Yori.. I think that maybe there will be Shun's big comeback or something in one of the next episodes. We'll see :)
Oct 8, 2013 8:42 AM

Dec 2012
Thank god it wasn't Maria though. I don't think I could have handled that.
How do the rats keep an Ogre under control...
Oct 16, 2013 1:03 AM
Aug 2011
makarov52 said:
seriously.. is that maria? :O
anyway it is a good episode..
I wonder what happen next..
everyone has gone now

Did you even watch it?
Oct 16, 2013 1:14 AM
Aug 2011
I feel like mamoru or maria (maybe both) will come and rescue people by killing their own child and dying afterwards.
Oct 26, 2013 6:41 PM

Oct 2011
So the fiend is Maria and Mamoru's child. I have no idea how the queerats are controlling it and no idea how Saki and Satoru will stop it.
Nov 13, 2013 1:51 AM

Jan 2012
Hoooooooooooahhhh my God's. I can't stop watching. :D
Live, Laugh, Love.

Dec 1, 2013 1:59 PM

May 2011
For a moment there I thought it was Maria, and got really hyped. What a shame, I think it'd make for some awesome moments if it really was Maria, with Saki potentially having to take her out and all... but I guess a kid makes more sense.
Jan 20, 2014 8:09 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Episode that gives those twists that I do not regret the fans trust given to him in the past, both as regards the diabolical plan of that slimy Yokomaru, both the identity of the "messiah"!
Plot and narrative worthy of note, even if it s good designs could do better to make them more finished.
However, an interesting episode and that has created a very high level of pathos.
Feb 14, 2014 3:30 PM

Feb 2013
An episode before there was a brief moment with Maria saying how she loved Saki but in the end they weren't supposed to be together since both were girls. She said they couldn't have a child... Well that's the hint and now it was confirmed.

So sad, Maria was so lovely. How could she die...
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Feb 14, 2014 7:16 PM
Aug 2012
oh...
Mar 8, 2014 3:49 PM

May 2010
So the fiend really is their kid.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 18, 2014 8:06 AM

Jul 2013
Wow, things just got down big time! The anime is almost over and lots of surprises to come.
Apr 29, 2014 3:52 PM

Aug 2013
It's a bit bad to say this after all that happened, but I think their current humanity kinda deserved it. Don't get me wrong, what Yakomaru is doing is really horrible, but he's pretty much doing them the same thing they did to them. It's a (almost) fair payback if you ask me.

So the fiend was Maria and Mamoru kid after all... The Robber Fly probably offered them to hide them. When they had a child, they probably killed them in their sleep or something like this. They raised the child to become a monster and hate human. That's really too horrible, this show is horrible, it make me sick... It's a rare feeling I get when watching anime, that mean that it's a success :P

Now, what will happen? It really look like the humanity is reaching their extinction. I must say that I don't really understand why Shisei didn't just sacrifice himself and accept the return of death. It was kill and die or be killed. It was a kinda stupid move in my opinion.

Saki now have to take the lead, but the lead of what? There is nothing left. Probably a few human wandering in the woods around, but they'll probably be killed soon or later. I don't really see what they have to build on now. The only way they could win is if they could somehow find a way to counter the return of death, then people wouldn't be scared to kill the fiend.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 24, 2014 7:57 AM

Nov 2013
so did yakomaru end up killing maria and mamoru? thats so sad. :(
Jun 1, 2014 2:32 PM

Jul 2013
nasty creatures are nasty
i just hope they kick their ass
also, i am not so sure if maria and mamoru are really dead... who knows
Jun 9, 2014 5:48 AM

Jul 2013
If Saki honestly thinks that the rat creatures were treated right shes either arrogant, naive or incredibly stupid. I would go far as say that they were relatively well treated if you compare their conditions to black slaves in America but saying that they were well treated is such bs.

Humans were willing to basically kill 500 thousands of them because of few "bad apples" so they have absolutely no right to criticize the rats.
Jun 16, 2014 8:36 PM

Nov 2012
Damn, this episode was a mindfuck. Essentially, the queerats had prepared everything perfectly in their conquest. I cringed at the sight of Maria and Mamoru's child kneeling down in front of a queerat.
Jun 27, 2014 2:34 PM

Feb 2014
That was fucking depressing. For a while I thought the fiend was Maria, thanks to the character design that makes him look exactly like her (BTW he has by far the creepiest scream I've heard). I thought the queerrats killed Mamoru which drove her insane (although I think it's unlikely that would happen), turning her into a fiend. Turns out it was even worse.

Also, I don't get why Saki waited 12 years to tell the ethics committee about the Robber Fly colony trying to develop the technology of the old civilization by capturing a fake Minoshiro, and also having adopted democracy instead following the queen. Wouldn't that be important enough to at least mention in passing? They would've been much better prepared for a situation like this.
VhailorJun 27, 2014 11:25 PM
Jul 7, 2014 4:14 PM

Jan 2014
Knew leaving those 2 to be would cause problems down the road. Shun was right in telling Saki to take care of it earlier.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 2, 2014 4:44 AM

Feb 2011
..maria is the fiend?? :O
no he/she looks younger..

it may look terribly on the long run, but it should take 10 years for the rats to completely take over
if the humans manage to bring back the childs they may have a chance to stop this course

@Vhailor
"Also, I don't get why Saki waited 12 years to tell the ethics committee about the Robber Fly colony trying to develop the technology of the old civilization by capturing a fake Minoshiro, and also having adopted democracy instead following the queen. Wouldn't that be important enough to at least mention in passing? They would've been much better prepared for a situation like this."
right, but guess that was part of the "overstimating the enemy cause to overconfident of their cantus"

continue to think that if they had invested some more time in defensive PK all this mess with karma demons and fiends would be not as much worrying
but they're all instead glass cannons...
ZeandoAug 2, 2014 4:48 AM

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Aug 6, 2014 4:03 PM

Jan 2014
OH MY GOD.

Best episode. Niimi-san, why am I feeling sorry for a character I just met? The scene was beautiful.
Squealer is one of the best villains I've seen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.