Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 29, 2012 10:10 AM

Jan 2011
Poor Aladdin, finally feel like he has a family but Baba got to die? ><
Honestly speaking, I am not so interested in this arc than any other arcs in manga, so I don't feel this episode is being fast-paced.
Oct 29, 2012 11:17 AM

Mar 2012
Even though I've really enjoyed the previous episodes, this was definitely a noticeable improvement. It was very well-paced, as it introduced several interesting characters and spent the majority of time focusing on Aladdin's development and establishing a singular setting, rather than chaotically shifting perspective throughout. The tone was more restrained and less comedic, but I thought it complemented the introduction of this arc really well.

Although it was quite brief, Alibaba and Morgiana's opening conversation was nice. Hakuei is a rather compelling character, and it will be interesting to see which side of the approaching battle she'll fight for. Her conversation with Aladdin was an excellent moment, since it illuminated her relative understanding and compassion, while also portraying Aladdin as particularly caring and helpful. Aladdin's interactions with Baba throughout were the best element of this episode, since they provided excellent insight into the meaning of rukh and the history of their tribe, while also illustrating a familial connection that Aladdin doesn't seem to have much experience with. Though somewhat expected, the ending was still rather surprising, and a very intriguing cliffhanger to conclude the episode with.

As for the production values, they were slightly less impressive throughout this episode, but, thankfully, never distracting. The animation was average, but a higher quality wasn't particularly necessary, since there was an obvious lack of dynamic sequences involved. Musically, this episode was just as excellent as the others, especially during Aladdin and Baba's moonlit conversation, which was fantastic.

All in all, Magi satisfies considerably with an improved episode, and, hopefully, this heightened sort of coherency within the story indicates a more consistent execution of the narrative moving forward.
Oct 29, 2012 12:07 PM

Apr 2012
Good episode. :)
Dies Irae! :)
Oct 29, 2012 12:18 PM

Aug 2012
This is really a land of magic.... they're milking horses and I can't believe Aladdin was breast feeding from the horse. LOL

Nice episode... didn't saw the end coming. I bet it was the cruel soldier.

I've just read chapter 5 in the manga... I'm far away from this aren't I?
I never go back on my words... that's my NINDO... MY NINJA WAY!!!
Visit my deviantART Gallery
Oct 29, 2012 12:55 PM

May 2011
InfiniteDestiny said:
Sigh...the manga hardcore fans will continue to complain, i can see the flames coming already...

People should learn one simple concept, since it applies to all adaptions, things get summarized, even the best of adaptions, i would rather have this fast paced summary of main points then have a dragged out Shounen like the Big 3, besides why don't you seriously ask yourself what was left out that was truly essential

Imo, the only way an adaption will fail is if it does not have any entertainment value at all and the source was great. So far, the only time I've ever been let down by an adaption thet I've read the source for is with the Elfen Lied anime. Even if I were to have read the manga prior to watching this, I highly doubt I would be disappointed with what I'm seeing.

As for this episode, I enjoyed it. Wasn't expecting that ending though. Poor Baba. :'(
Oct 29, 2012 1:59 PM

Jan 2012
Ehh I'm pretty glad I never read the manga first... or I would have been really really unhappy that they rushed the anime so much...

Ah well anyway sad that baba was shot...
Oct 29, 2012 4:12 PM

Dec 2010
PervisumChaos said:
Because no one will believe you except maybe the anime-only viewers.

You should look around you, their are plenty of people who read the manga and enjoy the anime just fine, may they feel that its a little fast paced? sure, are they called it the worse adaption ever in terms of pacing? that would only be you. You need to realize something which is clear as day you are the minority. Plenty of people like this anime, and they haven't even reached the Balbadd arc yet, you should look at how other adaptions were adapted before you start making exaggerated statements and expect anyone to actually take you seriously.
Oct 29, 2012 4:20 PM

Jul 2012
What a way to put that cliff hanger... I like that old woman! D:

I have never read the manga, but I thought it paced so well to get to the key points without any confusion. :X

"Everyone go love Cyan!"
Oct 29, 2012 4:22 PM
Jul 2011
Totally did not expect Baba-sama to get shot with an arrow right at the end! :O

Aladdin's gonna be gutted, having just found someone to teach him about family and more about Magi.. :(
Oct 29, 2012 4:32 PM

Jan 2012
NOOO NOT GRANNY
Oct 29, 2012 7:19 PM

Aug 2011
I can already tell that I'm going to be glued to the screen whenever Morgiana and Alibaba are on it at the same time.

Also, I heard Magi was confirmed to be 4-cour, so chill the fuck out.
Oct 29, 2012 7:32 PM

Sep 2010
dick ending ;_;
Oct 29, 2012 7:51 PM
Jan 2008
InfiniteDestiny said:
PervisumChaos said:
Because no one will believe you except maybe the anime-only viewers.

You should look around you, their are plenty of people who read the manga and enjoy the anime just fine, may they feel that its a little fast paced? sure, are they called it the worse adaption ever in terms of pacing? that would only be you. You need to realize something which is clear as day you are the minority. Plenty of people like this anime, and they haven't even reached the Balbadd arc yet, you should look at how other adaptions were adapted before you start making exaggerated statements and expect anyone to actually take you seriously.

Please, I have yet to see a person who reads both the manga and anime disagree with the fact the directing is awful and extremely rushed. It's not just the pacing - which you seem to think so. If anything, I'm the majority, the minority on hand is the people who've actually read the manga and hence, it becomes an opinion based on a majority in a minority.

Also please give evidence. Have you ever backed up your posts with evidence? You said I haven't paid attention to other adaptations (when that's what I'm clearly doing right now, derp), so please name about 5-10 adaptations where the pacing is worse than that of Magi's. I assure you, you won't find any.

But it shouldn't be too hard, right?

Unless you are implying there are no pacing issues within this series - I don't even know what to say. The pacing has been mentioned and highlighted by people who don't even read the manga which is a very, very bad sign as when you start to compare them, you see a big difference. It's also hypocritical since you posted in Tenri-hen there was pacing problems which are nothing compared to Magi. This is a great adaptation that falls short of a 5/5 because of the awful directing, in my opinion. However, it's not my opinion, but a majority that there are pacing issues which you have already admitted to because of the Balbadd arc. And don't even get me started what they done to Hakurei and Paimon among more factors. Dijinn equipment? Out of all things, not censoring Paimon, not giving her a shirt, but instead removing her entirely? Disgusting to say at the least.

Saying that it's a good idea to rush the current episodes the Balbadd arc sounds like an excuse for you to downplay the actual fact that right now the pacing is awful.
TheDipstickOct 29, 2012 7:59 PM
Oct 29, 2012 7:55 PM

Sep 2012
PervisumChaos said:

Please, I have yet to see a person who reads both the manga and anime disagree with the fact the directing is awful and extremely rushed.

From the various Japanese forums I visit, there are a lot of manga fans in Japan who think the anime is fine and the directing is ok (although there are also a lot who don't like the adaptation). Almost all agree that it is really rushed though.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 29, 2012 8:03 PM
Jan 2008
symbv said:
PervisumChaos said:

Please, I have yet to see a person who reads both the manga and anime disagree with the fact the directing is awful and extremely rushed.

From the various Japanese forums I visit, there are a lot of manga fans in Japan who think the anime is fine and the directing is ok (although there are also a lot who don't like the adaptation). Almost all agree that it is really rushed though.

I agree the majority still like it. Though I haven't seen Japanese forums and only based on the forums I go for Magi (which aren't that much, tbh), so thanks for the insight. :)
Oct 29, 2012 8:07 PM

Feb 2011
PervisumChaos said:

I've read the manga and I really like the adaption. That said, I wouldn't say the directing is "wonderful" at the moment, but I'm sure it will get better once they slow down and get to the Balbadd arc. In my opinion, I believe we should just wait and see a majority of the show before we label it a bad adaption. This is only episode 4 of a possibly 26 episode anime. I think there is still a chance for the show to redeem itself to those who aren't fully supportive of the adaption within the remaining episodes.
Oct 29, 2012 8:28 PM
Jan 2008
yaochame said:
PervisumChaos said:

I've read the manga and I really like the adaption. That said, I wouldn't say the directing is "wonderful" at the moment, but I'm sure it will get better once they slow down and get to the Balbadd arc. In my opinion, I believe we should just wait and see a majority of the show before we label it a bad adaption. This is only episode 4 of a possibly 26 episode anime. I think there is still a chance for the show to redeem itself to those who aren't fully supportive of the adaption within the remaining episodes.

No problem, I wasn't labelling it a bad adaptation, I was simply saying that the directing being so rushed isn't very good on which InfiniteDestiny seems to continually disregard and attack people who think so every episode discussion. I was only adressing that for these episodes, I wasn't judging the series overall. :)

Edit: Before I get any misunderstandings, I think this is a great adaptation! As of yet of course, my only problem is the directing which I don't like in paritcular because I haven't seen anime where the directing has done anything like this and so though a "unique change" it's something I don't like (for now of course, when the Balbadd arc comes, hopefully it'll change). The music, voice-acting, especially the animation and of course the plot and character designs are all great for me. I just don't like the directing which seems to be an opinion of which is not allowed.
TheDipstickOct 29, 2012 8:35 PM
Oct 29, 2012 8:39 PM

Feb 2011
PervisumChaos said:
yaochame said:
PervisumChaos said:

No problem, I wasn't labelling it a bad adaptation, I was simply saying that the directing being so rushed isn't very good on which InfiniteDestiny seems to continually disregard and attack people who think so every episode discussion. I was only adressing that for these episodes, I wasn't judging the series overall. :)

Edit: Before I get any misunderstandings, I think this is a great adaptation! As of yet of course, my only problem is the directing which I don't like in paritcular because I haven't seen anime where the directing has done anything like this and so though a "unique change" it's something I don't like (for now of course, when the Balbadd arc comes, hopefully it'll change). The music, voice-acting, especially the animation and of course the plot and character designs are all great for me. I just don't like the directing which seems to be an opinion of which is not allowed.

Ah, I see. Now I can easily agree with you on the matter of it feeling rushed. But that never exactly stopped me from enjoying every episode thus far. haha
Nevertheless, it has started to slow down bit by bit. C:
Oct 29, 2012 9:41 PM
Jul 2012
WHO SHOT THAT ARROW!? I WILL F*CKING BRING OUT MY SADIST NOW! IF THAT F*CKER DOESN'T GET @SSF*CKED FROM A LONG STICK OF WOOD, I'M NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO REST! Well, now that is through lets get with the episode shall we? Well, the episode was slow, I kind of wanted more Alibaba, being he is my favorite as his djinn handles fire and he is a sword/daggerman. I really hope we get better fight scenes with the mains. I really want Aladdin and Alibaba to reunite, but I'm not going to read the manga to end up spoiling, I'm going to wait and watch what happens so I can go forward and be surprised, once the anime ends, then I'll read the manga.
Oct 29, 2012 11:12 PM
Oct 2012
DraconisMarch said:
I can already tell that I'm going to be glued to the screen whenever Morgiana and Alibaba are on it at the same time.

Also, I heard Magi was confirmed to be 4-cour, so chill the fuck out.

Really? Where did you hear that? I read it was gonna be 2-cour
Oct 29, 2012 11:58 PM

Jan 2012
This show feels so rushed. But it's still rather good. The arrow was unexpected.

Oct 30, 2012 1:58 AM

Oct 2010
I love the rushing because I can't wait to see Sinbad lol. Great adaptation, I actually like the directing. So much story in one episode. Far better than FSN/Umineko/Tsukihime adaptation. I think the OP will change the moment Balbadd Arc ends.
Reim_SeranthOct 30, 2012 2:06 AM

~ IA- Aria on the Planetes ~ Vocaloid V3 voiced by LiA (Clannad Afterstory, Angel Beats! theme song singer)
Oct 30, 2012 2:14 AM

Jun 2010
i find Aladdin is soo cute in this, you cant blame him ><
Oct 30, 2012 8:33 AM

Apr 2009
Two years to walk on foot?!! Hmm...the old Silk Road? He can probably fly in his flying turban/carpet or ride on Ugo though there's the magic stamina issue.

Crap they killed old, sweet Granny! TT_TT I'm suspecting the warmongering general, of course. >_<

When Aladdin was talking to granny and he said he was giving tummy power when those light glowing butterflies appear (maybe they do represent the flow of life as they said), I was reading a grimmer reality from Granny's shocked face. Perhaps he's not only giving his stamina but his life force as well when he do magic (so shorter life span each time)? And in the flashback with Ugo explaining Aladdin is different from humans somehow both reinforces and contradicts this...it could that Magi are given nigh unlimited magical powers but still human or maybe he's not human or mortal for that matter after all. Maybe I was reading all this wrong. Lots of "maybe". LOL Sorry went to speculation spree again.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Oct 30, 2012 10:14 AM

Jul 2009
I was expecting the arrow to be shot in the head. Oh man such a predictable death flag. One does not surrender without its leader being assassinated. From start to end the whole ep was a huge death flag xD.
Oct 30, 2012 11:46 AM
Mar 2012
Shyolk said:
I was bored with this episode, only a little.
Yeah, me, too.

The whole "diplomatic talks" part was a bit strange. "Yeah, so we've come to you to talk about how you'll be giving up your freedom or otherwise you'll die. But it's just diplomatic, and you know, I'm a good girl and won't kill anyone." - "Oh, ok, how awfully nice of you, we agree." WTF? But hey, she never said anything about not stealing, kidnapping or raping. It's quite suprising how much you can do to people without killing them... "General" - what a joke.

I didn't find the arrow particularly surprising.
Oct 30, 2012 2:17 PM

Mar 2010
haha wow, lets talk about the meanest saddest ending to an episode ever, as the screen blacks out on the little magis face smiling and not knowing his grandmother just got murdered. fuck dude...lol
Oct 30, 2012 2:52 PM

Feb 2011
I can't get enough of the OP <333 Anyway , liked the ep , also that girl from the clan was so fine xD
Oct 30, 2012 10:08 PM

Jul 2011
When Granny was shot, I was like, "WTF O_O"

wahh. D;

Love the opening and really enjoying the anime.

Really waiting for the people in the opening though. <3
Oct 31, 2012 12:35 AM

Mar 2012
For whatever reason, I don't feel like this was rushed. That being said, I haven't read the manga so perhaps the pacing is better there.

Question though, will Alibaba, Morgiana, and Aladdin join up, or is Aladdin gonna go solo for awhile like this episode? The OP suggests they'd travel together again at some point, but it doesn't look like Alibaba or Morgiana has any role in this current arc.
Oct 31, 2012 1:19 AM

Oct 2012
tezann_t said:
For whatever reason, I don't feel like this was rushed. That being said, I haven't read the manga so perhaps the pacing is better there.

Question though, will Alibaba, Morgiana, and Aladdin join up, or is Aladdin gonna go solo for awhile like this episode? The OP suggests they'd travel together again at some point, but it doesn't look like Alibaba or Morgiana has any role in this current arc.

Oct 31, 2012 10:46 AM

Feb 2012
The previous episodes were better,but it was good too,though.
Oct 31, 2012 2:21 PM

Jul 2010
Nooooo~~~!!!!! D': Poor Baba, I really love her :(
Oct 31, 2012 4:20 PM

Jul 2008
Num1dad_Asura said:
Coralira said:
Num1dad_Asura said:

And some news, it is an anime spoiler not a manga sooo...

This hasn't even happened in the manga yet so definitely looking forward to next week.

Eh? So

Oct 31, 2012 6:04 PM

Mar 2012
omg didn't expect that
Oct 31, 2012 8:44 PM

Jan 2011
KuroNoKenshi said:

Oct 31, 2012 9:11 PM

Feb 2010
wow 1 episode for this part of the story? i would have thought 2 or 3 episodes at-least... well maybe they will slow down soon right?
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 31, 2012 9:32 PM
Oct 2012
hazerddex said:
wow 1 episode for this part of the story? i would have thought 2 or 3 episodes at-least... well maybe they will slow down soon right?

The arcs not over yet. XD
Nov 1, 2012 11:23 AM

Jan 2012
PervisumChaos said:
Just because something isn't "truly essential" doesn't mean it should be skipped. No other adaptation has done it even half as bad as Magi has.

23 chapters in 4 episodes? That's just insane.

Zetman
Nov 1, 2012 12:53 PM
Feb 2012
This show has a lot of potential. They've played at a few dark themes, yet the anime continues to be light hearted and fun. Will continue to watch religiously.
Nov 1, 2012 6:58 PM

Feb 2008
hazerddex said:

So what, waste 6 episode on this arc? It's the weakest out of the first three. They are rushing the beginning since it's too dragged and nothing much happens, so they want a full focus on Balbadd. I'd rather see 16 episodes of Balbadd.

Also, why are people complaining about pacing in this episode? They covered pretty much the whole thing. It was page to page adaptation, without any change. What? They didn't animate that one panel? Blasphemy worst manga adaptation ever. Seriously, what's the point of panel to panel adaptations. It's way better when they change some things, like the beginning. Even though it's still the same thing as the manga, it felt like something new (well it kinda was new).

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Nov 1, 2012 7:38 PM
Jan 2008
Eksta said:
PervisumChaos said:
Just because something isn't "truly essential" doesn't mean it should be skipped. No other adaptation has done it even half as bad as Magi has.

23 chapters in 4 episodes? That's just insane.

Zetman

Haven't seen, but I'll definitely check it out.
Nov 1, 2012 8:54 PM

Oct 2012
I liked it. Fast, funny, suspense, action.. Whats more to like? Anyways Im geared up for episode five. Wonder what will happen since "that" happened you know?
Nov 1, 2012 9:29 PM

Feb 2012
I saw her death coming but still jumped when the arrow hit her...
RIP Obaasan
Nov 1, 2012 9:43 PM

Jun 2012
That was another great episode. I loved how much I felt for the "family", everyone is such a good person there. Even the young guy did the right thing in the midst of rage and didn't kill the other guy (sorry, I don't remember their names). The ending certainly wasn't expected, and I can't wait to see how it is resolved next episode (we all knew that guy meant trouble).
Amazing series still, great art, characters, and I like the setting (something different- not in Japan).
5/5.

Nov 1, 2012 10:38 PM

Jan 2010
I love the anime so much I actually read the manga up to ch160 just now. It is hard to believe that the author for Sumomomo Momomo made this as that manga focus more on comedy while this one has a serious tone to it
Nov 2, 2012 2:16 AM

Mar 2007
That granny was tripping death flags so furiously I almost wanted to laugh. Dropped.
Nov 2, 2012 7:39 AM
Sep 2009
Liking the anime a lot, but it's a shame about the extremely annoying fanbase who cant read that manga spoilers aren't allowed here.
Nov 2, 2012 8:30 PM

Dec 2009
Barion-Zara said:
These anime producers are awesome. They kept all the important stuff from 24 chps and adapted it in 4 eps...I don't see why someone should complain.

I thought so too, I really like the pace, and they still kept all the good stuff from the manga c:
Nov 4, 2012 2:26 PM

Mar 2012
Sweet. Aladdin might be able to kill all the enemies. I hope it happens
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2013

262 by animejas »»
Feb 19, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Magi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Num1dad_Asura - Oct 7, 2012

337 by Kent1234 »»
Dec 29, 2023 12:59 AM

Poll: » Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2013

198 by GearheadOtaku »»
Dec 1, 2023 11:16 PM

Poll: » Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2013

121 by GearheadOtaku »»
Dec 1, 2023 10:21 PM

Poll: » Magi Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2013

192 by GearheadOtaku »»
Dec 1, 2023 9:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.