Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 7, 2012 1:15 AM

Jul 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
All right I did not enjoy this episode it was very different from the manga but this is only because I'm a die-hard manga fan of Magi. I thought Alibaba was very irritating here and I love him in the manga. Also one of my biggest complaints is they removed the hilarious faces they make in the manga (I know they said would rush through the beginning but still.....). I didn't get the same feelings as I did in the manga (too tense when it's supposed to be light hearted beginning).

Still not used to Aladdin's voice but others were great.
And the opening animation was amazing.

All I can say for now is I hope it improves.....3/5

ps.
from the looks of preview they will be halfway done (or more) dungeon arc next episode......:(

Yes they have Elizabeth!!

Num1dad_AsuraOct 7, 2012 2:28 AM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
Oct 7, 2012 1:32 AM

Nov 2011
Well, that's a nice OP song with the montage of the characters. I also liked the setting so far with the desert like appearances.

Alibaba starts things off and gets into some into troubles and even gets stepped on! He's also sort of perverted with his imaginations along with Aladdin, ha. I also gotta admit though that Aladdin is kinda cute. He's cool though with those blue arms.

It was nice seeing Morgiana too although she seems more of the colder type. I hope to see more of her later on.

Overall, it was an alright episode imo and can't wait to see how things will progress.

Loved the Aladdin and Alibaba's relationship in this episode though <3
Stark700Oct 7, 2012 1:42 AM
Oct 7, 2012 1:34 AM

Nov 2006
I really, really liked it. So far so good.

It didn't take more than two lines for Kaji to win me over. He's definitely going for a Miyano Mamoru thing and it's working. Ishiyama won me over about halfway through. And of course Tomato didn't need to win me over...

Backgrounds and animation both look great, and the music is sounding good so far.

Very excited to see how they do the dungeon next week. It's when I first really started getting into it in the manga so I hope it the anime makes me feel the same way.
Oct 7, 2012 1:41 AM

Nov 2011
Ya, I heard somewhere that this series may have a potential to get 50+ or something episodes. No idea if that's true though.

Anyways, going to sleep now. Will check on this tomorrow.
Oct 7, 2012 1:42 AM

Sep 2007
I just watched a stream! Even though there were some differences from the manga, I still enjoyed it. Alibaba's voiiiice. *q*

It was totally worth staying up late just to watch this. Can't wait for it to get subbed though!
Oct 7, 2012 1:42 AM
Aug 2011
Num1dad_Asura said:
I am still watching, all i can say for now that this is VERY different from the manga(at least the beginning).

Yea this was very very different. It surprised me a bit actually.

The music was great.

Stark700 said:
Loved the Aladdin and Alibaba's relationship in this episode though <3

Me too, I love the way it came across.

One more thing to mention: Elizabeth's voice.

Edit after watching it subbed:

It bugs me that this started quite different than the manga but it was highly enjoyable nonetheless.
It's fast paced but I would have to watch more to see just how fast it will go.
A-1 pictures can screw things up royaly...

The animation is nice and the backgrounds are lovely.
Aladdin's voice is a bit of a miss for me. Kaji as Alibaba was not as terrible and as I expected.

One of my most anticipated series and each week will definitely give me something to look forward to. Can't wait.

windy said:
parfaited said:
~*Elizabeth de gozaimasu*~

Let me karate chop that glass bottle for you~
standOct 7, 2012 2:38 PM
Oct 7, 2012 1:43 AM

May 2011
Yes it would have been preferable for the anime to completely follow the manga, but other than some of the changes, the episode was great! So much anticipation and I can't wait for more!
Oct 7, 2012 1:47 AM

Jul 2012
parfaited said:

Man that made me laugh, I always thought she had a more manly voice lol.
LunaOct 7, 2012 7:54 AM
[/url]
Oct 7, 2012 1:58 AM

Nov 2006
parfaited said:
~*Elizabeth de gozaimasu*~
Oct 7, 2012 2:08 AM
Oct 2011
Num1dad_Asura said:
All right I did not enjoy this episode it was very different from the manga but this is only because I'm a die-hard manga fan of Magi. I thought Alibaba was very irritating here and I love him in the manga. Also one of my biggest complaints is they removed the hilarious faces they make in the manga (I know they said would rush through the beginning but still.....). I didn't get the same feelings as I did in the manga (too tense when it's supposed to be light hearted beginning).

You should've expected this to be way different from the manga, especially that they're gonna butcher the beginning (Guilty Crown's composer here *sigh*) and jump to Sinbad in ep4 or 5 (from the list you mentioned yesterday).

For me I'm waiting for the subbed version to enjoy the glorious animation and to read the subs while watching it, it's a bit different from the manga too so the manga won't help I guess.

Edit from the future: This series turned out to be one big mess thanks to A-1 and its shitty animation and series composer Hiroyuki. For those reading this, go read the manga and never come back to this shitty adaptation. Seriously, the experience is way better in the manga. Here is what to expect in this anime:
- Rushing (115 chapters in 25-26 episodes)
- Messed up timeline
- Original stuff
- Changing stuff, thus creating plotholes
- Skipping a lot of important content from the manga
- One-dimensional villain
- Derp-faces, derp-faces everywhere
- No impact (thanks to the horrible animation)
- Horrible fights
- Annoying characters that you wouldn't really care about

So, yeah, if you want a better Magi experience go ahead and read the manga from the first chapter, and you'll notice the difference from that chapter, which was skipped in the anime.
Candor123Feb 26, 2013 3:10 AM
Oct 7, 2012 2:29 AM

Jul 2012
Candor said:
Num1dad_Asura said:

You should've expected this to be way different from the manga, especially that they're gonna butcher the beginning (Guilty Crown's composer here *sigh*) and jump to Sinbad in ep4 or 5 (from the list you mentioned yesterday).

For me I'm waiting for the subbed version to enjoy the glorious animation and to read the subs while watching it, it's a bit different from the manga too so the manga won't help I guess.

I know what you mean, but it's my favorite manga man, can't help but get my expectation high.
[/url]
Oct 7, 2012 2:41 AM

Mar 2012
Elizabeth's music theme made me laugh ! Haha
Oct 7, 2012 3:00 AM

Aug 2011
It was a little different from the manga, but since they already told us about the changes (back when news about the anime had just been confirmed), I don't really mind. It was still great and enjoyable.

Elizabeth's voice got me cracked up.
Oct 7, 2012 3:46 AM

Jul 2012
All right for those who are eagerly waiting for their raw download or subbed version.
(sorry took me a while to upload)
enjoy the opening:

Mod Edit: Removed link to full episode.
LunaOct 7, 2012 7:56 AM
[/url]
Oct 7, 2012 4:38 AM

Jul 2010
It seemed like Aladdin's character model kept changing through this first episode, lol. Some parts looked weird like when he was with those two girls.

Genie was pretty badass though. I laughed when Genie blushed at Morgiana.
Oct 7, 2012 4:42 AM
Jul 2008
Wasn't expecting Aladdin's voice to be so.... feminine.
Oct 7, 2012 4:57 AM
Mar 2012
I thought I would like it since I understand arabic and have some arabic culture but it was so meh, too cheesy, too simple, tentacles and transvestite only made it worse.
Oct 7, 2012 5:03 AM

Jan 2011
Elizabeth lol i keep laughing at that part, especially when Alibaba saw her face lol
I don't like how they changed the starting too, even though I knew it.
I think Alibaba's voice is alright afterall :) Many people think Kaji Yuki doesn't suit him. Hopefully you have changed your mind about it xD
hokaruOct 7, 2012 5:07 AM
Oct 7, 2012 7:51 AM
Jul 2009
windy said:
It didn't take more than two lines for Kaji to win me over. He's definitely going for a Miyano Mamoru thing and it's working.

I got the same impression. When I heard Alibaba the first thought that came to my mind was "Kaji is using his Mamoru Miyano voice" lol

I would have loved Mamoru himself in this role though.
Oct 7, 2012 8:27 AM

Jan 2011
I just notice Judal is wearing purple eyes shadow from the OP

I know his character design in main site have 1 showing that he is wearing eyes shadow, but I didn't actually look at it >< Others doesn't seem like he is wearing too

This might be nothing much but I preferred if he doesn't wear it
hokaruOct 7, 2012 8:46 AM
Oct 7, 2012 8:41 AM
Jul 2018
I actually thought Aladdin's voice was terrible, Ishihara sounded way too feminine, and that ruined it for me. A guy, preferably Yamaguchi Kappei, would have done that role several million times better
Oct 7, 2012 9:07 AM

Sep 2008
Shabluh said:
I actually thought Aladdin's voice was terrible, Ishihara sounded way too feminine, and that ruined it for me. A guy, preferably Yamaguchi Kappei, would have done that role several million times better

I thought Ishihara 's voice matched nicely with Aladdin. I wouldn't dare to think of a male voice actor for Aladdin's role... it wouldn't fit right at all
LAboy456Oct 7, 2012 9:11 AM
Oct 7, 2012 9:45 AM
Nov 2010
It is a beautiful episode!!!xD...I love alibaba!!xD...A bit different from the manga..XD
Oct 7, 2012 10:35 AM

Jun 2012
It was decent, but not nearly as good as the manga in my opinion :| I think aladdin's voice could use some work.
OchimushaOct 7, 2012 10:45 AM
Oct 7, 2012 12:35 PM

May 2010
very good first episode. nice fluid animation and very nice artstyle. loved it !

Oct 7, 2012 12:47 PM

Aug 2011
I thought Kaji Yuki did a really good job as Alibaba, which is good because I definitely was iffy on the casting before. This was a very enjoyable watch and I do hope it runs for a long time. I heard somewhere that this anime was "at best, Fullmetal Alchemist." Really? Is it gonna be that good? Should I have my hopes up?
Oct 7, 2012 12:55 PM

Nov 2009
Wow, I'm hooked, damn you sneaky little pervert Alibaba-kun xD

A-1 did a good job here honestly, I was really amazed by those simplistic art styles yet quality animation. Good music. Overall enjoyable episode.

Definitely a must follow show this season.
Oct 7, 2012 12:59 PM

Mar 2011
Very good 1st ep.But a bit changed.
Oct 7, 2012 1:08 PM
Jan 2012
Alibaba was epic! I can tell he is going to be my fave. Very good start, I can tell I'll like this!

5/5
Oct 7, 2012 1:09 PM
Aug 2010
Great show. I looking forward to the next episode.

Alibaba is real pervert. But the Arabic language written in this anime is total wrong but I don't care As long I enjoy this show.
Oct 7, 2012 1:09 PM

Jul 2007
Quite a lot of stuff changed..but I don't mind. I wish Ishihara did slightly less feminine voice though..and a bit more androgynous. And I think I'm completely fine with Kaji's voice now, haha. Looking forward next ep~

... Well, I only watched raw before, so gonna give subs a try once they finish downloading but I'm still hoping some other group will pick this up. Since gg is likely to drop it and I just can't be satisfied with Commie.
Need to make new sig. Soon. Maybe.
Oct 7, 2012 1:16 PM
Oct 2011
itsvero said:
I thought Kaji Yuki did a really good job as Alibaba, which is good because I definitely was iffy on the casting before. This was a very enjoyable watch and I do hope it runs for a long time. I heard somewhere that this anime was "at best, Fullmetal Alchemist." Really? Is it gonna be that good? Should I have my hopes up?
Magi has stuff like FMA; politics, oppression, poverty, slavery and stuff like that, they start to appear in the next 2 arcs after the 1st dungeon but they get clearer in Alibaba's arc (the best arc in Magi imo).

Watching the subbed version is way better than watching the raws lol.
A great episode, was expecting them to enter the dungeon this episode (to see the scenery animated namely), but the episode was great as it is.
Oct 7, 2012 1:22 PM

Apr 2009
Really good 1st episode. Can't wait for next week.
Oct 7, 2012 1:23 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Been waiting for this for ages as an avid manga reader so this was a purely awesome epi<3 LOVE<3
Oct 7, 2012 1:25 PM

Jan 2012
Aribaba KUN. Awesome animation and soundtrack. I wonder what they're going to be doing. This doesn't really have a true story to it.
Oct 7, 2012 1:30 PM

Apr 2011
Is this anime similar to One Piece, Fairy tail ? Will it belong series?
Oct 7, 2012 1:34 PM
Oct 2011
TrOjAnHoRsE said:
Rumors say it's gonna be 24-26 episodes only, nothing is confirmed yet, but it can easily be a long runner, we have to wait until we get an official confirmation.

Eksta said:
Aribaba KUN. Awesome animation and soundtrack. I wonder what they're going to be doing. This doesn't really have a true story to it.
For now it's gonna be some introduction arcs only, for the world, characters and abilities. Through these arcs or/and after them a couple of plots appear.
Candor123Oct 7, 2012 1:38 PM
Oct 7, 2012 1:36 PM

Mar 2012
lol suddenly that OP came
really suprised me XD
Oct 7, 2012 1:44 PM

Feb 2011
This season keeps surprising me. That was really good!
Oct 7, 2012 1:46 PM
Feb 2011
(not sure if spoilerworthy, will edit anyway)

So far so good.
Oct 7, 2012 1:46 PM

Feb 2012
Am I the only one who thought the Nogizaka ED was completely out of place?
Oct 7, 2012 1:47 PM

Nov 2009
Candor said:
TrOjAnHoRsE said:
Rumors say it's gonna be 24-26 episodes only, nothing is confirmed yet, but it can easily be a long runner, we have to wait until we get an official confirmation.

It's better that way, just like what production I.G have done with Kuroko no Basket, putting efforts in shounen adaptation. Not just carelessly adapting everything only for profits.
Oct 7, 2012 1:48 PM

Feb 2008
Candor said:
TrOjAnHoRsE said:

Wasn't it already confirmed that they are doing the first three arcs? They'll end the show with Balbadd (8 volumes). They can easily fit that in ~25 episodes. It's a shounen and it's fast paced.

I'm okay with the changes. But still, too bad we didn't get to see Aladdin fondling that dark skinned girl's breasts. It was nice that they kept those funny deformations during comical scenes.

The opening was IMO pretty bad and I really dislike it. They should have picked something more fitting. Like, Disney Aladdin has a more fitting theme song. The soundtrack sounds interesting.

Overall good episode, can't wait for the next one. 4/5

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 7, 2012 1:52 PM

Sep 2011
I haven't read the manga yet, and I'm usually the guy that goes off on tangents because of manga divergances, so for the momment I'll say I enjoyed this ep and I like alladin, funny cause his personallity probably wouldn't work if he wasn't a kid XD after a few more eps I'll begin reading the manga so for now, great stuff can't wait to see more magi!

Jan 2012
I enjoyed this episode. Though it made me wonder, where the hell is the jinns head?

Sep 2011
ASSDFGKHSJDHAGLFDKSLHJKJKL PERFECTION

this will be my most anticipated series for this season!
Oct 7, 2012 2:00 PM

Jun 2008
*whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Alibaba is not Mamo-tan, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy* Kaji still doesnt convince me

I still prefer the manga but it was a great episode~ Its awesome to see it animated^.^

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Oct 7, 2012 2:12 PM

Jun 2012
it was ok. that rank i give it Because

Oct 7, 2012 2:14 PM
Oct 2011
ZetaZaku said:
Candor said:
TrOjAnHoRsE said:

Wasn't it already confirmed that they are doing the first three arcs? They'll end the show with Balbadd (8 volumes). They can easily fit that in ~25 episodes. It's a shounen and it's fast paced.
Well fake news has been spreading like a contagious disease recently, the news were mentioned in a magazine, but Kuroko no Basuke's fake news were also mentioned in a magazine, so these news still need confirmation, but from the way they're rushing the first episodes it's probably gonna go for a 25~, the end of Balbadd.
Candor123Oct 7, 2012 2:25 PM
Oct 7, 2012 2:20 PM

May 2008
Loved this episode a lot after all. Morgiana had her screentime and that's enough for me to feel satisfied. The animation is really smooth and the ost gave me goosbumps at times.
Yuki Kaji did great as Alibaba and so far I have no complains against Ishihara. She sounded really cute as Aladdin :D
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2013

262 by animejas »»
Feb 19, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2013

198 by GearheadOtaku »»
Dec 1, 2023 11:16 PM

Poll: » Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2013

121 by GearheadOtaku »»
Dec 1, 2023 10:21 PM

Poll: » Magi Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2013

192 by GearheadOtaku »»
Dec 1, 2023 9:17 PM

Poll: » Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2013

175 by GearheadOtaku »»
Nov 30, 2023 10:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.