Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 19, 2008 9:25 AM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"A Beautiful Devil, Jeanne"

Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette are crowned King and Queen of France. Maximilian Robespierre, future leader of the French Revolution, reads them their congratulations. Jeanne has trained relentlessly to become a lady, but cannot enter Versailles because her guardian is not in favor at court. Having just been fired from her job due to the depression, an impoverished Rosalie begs her sister for help, but Jeanne manipulates Nicholas, a man in love with her, into attempting to kill Rosalie. Rosalie desperately attempts prostitution to get money; the first person she goes up to is Oscar, whom she mistakes for a man. Oscar gives her one gold livre for free, and wonders just how bad the conditions in France truly are. Jeanne and Nicholas kill her guardian and forge Marquise Brandvillier's will so they inherit all of her property. Oscar meets them for the first time during the funeral and suspects foul play. summary courtesy of Wikipedia

Oh no, just as DuBarry falls another one begins to rise to take her place. I knew this girl was trouble, but once she gets the basic tools she needs she is off to a running start! To attempt to have your man beat your own sister! And then to kill the woman who took you in a take everything she had....

The only nice thing about the ep was Rosalie attempting to sell herself to Oscar of all people. I would have laughed too. Glad Rosalie kept her dignity, at least.
May 25, 2009 3:09 PM

May 2008
Rosalie needs to stay away from the middle of the road, always getting run over by carriages.
Sep 23, 2010 5:40 AM

Sep 2009
Aww Oscar :)
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Feb 26, 2011 2:11 PM

Sep 2009
So we lost one du Barry and gained another?
and poor Rosalie, she's clearly the only one of Valois lineage.
(I had wondered why they had dif hair when they were introduced)
gosh but Jeanne turned into a real witch!
cant wait till she gets what's coming to her!
Sep 2, 2011 4:04 PM

Feb 2010
Jeanne may rise to be my favorite antagonist here, she's just so ambitious and evil.

Rosalie on the other hand should get her shit together. She shouldve asked Oscar to take her with her. But we definitely will see more of her in the future I assume.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 11, 2012 9:11 AM

Feb 2008
Jeanne deserves to get whipped, strangled and burnt alive. Pretty much everything she's done to all the people who were nice to her.

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Aug 31, 2012 2:24 PM
Jan 2008
Just started watching this....and we go from one bitch in DuBarry to another in Jeanne.

Something tells me though that Oscar will save Rosalie in the future...
Sep 27, 2012 5:57 AM

Sep 2008
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Jeanne may rise to be my favorite antagonist here, she's just so ambitious and evil.

She definitely does make for a very "good villain". At least thus far, she is playing the role of the antagonist really well. I didn't expect her to be 1) such a good actress and 2) so heartless in reality. Yikes. Wonder how her story is going to clash with Antoinette's...
Feb 12, 2013 11:06 PM

Sep 2010
Salmissra said:
So we lost one du Barry and gained another?
and poor Rosalie, she's clearly the only one of Valois lineage.
(I had wondered why they had dif hair when they were introduced)
gosh but Jeanne turned into a real witch!
cant wait till she gets what's coming to her!

This so much!

Oscar is a real sweetheart she gave Rosalie some money for medicine and food. I really hope we see more of her she is beautiful. I can't believe what Jeanne did to her that bitch.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 2, 2013 9:58 AM

May 2009
jeanne seems like dubarry 2 i hope something really different happens with her or it's just going to be boring
Oct 11, 2013 11:41 PM

Jul 2008
Oh great, just as we lose Du Barry, we gain someone even worse.

Oscar's spider sense is top notch.
Jan 1, 2014 8:40 PM

Feb 2012
The Guillotine can't come fast enough for Jeanne. What a evil person. I'm shocked. Dam this show is really good. I'm glad I decided to give it a chance.
Jan 2, 2014 9:20 PM

Nov 2011
I hope Nicolas realize soon that he is getting played here.
Mar 29, 2014 6:12 PM

Jan 2014
shit jeannes even worse than du barry
Mar 31, 2014 10:00 PM

Dec 2011
Jeanne makes Du Barry look nice. Seriously, how could you treat your own sister like that?

Sep 29, 2014 5:15 PM

Mar 2012
Well shit, didn't think anyone in this series could top du Barry. Well besides Duke Orleans but he is the main antagonist.

Stark700 said:
I hope Nicolas realize soon that he is getting played here.

If he's dumb enough to get played in the first place I doubt he's ever gonna be able to realize he's getting played lol.
Sep 29, 2014 7:55 PM

Jul 2011
Aww, Oscar. We need more of her, less of the villains. >__<

The revolution shall be upon us!
Nov 12, 2014 5:58 PM

Oct 2012
What a bitch.
Dec 16, 2014 2:55 AM

Jun 2013
Finally the evil Jeanne appears. I thought I liked her hair red.
Feb 20, 2015 12:09 PM

Aug 2013
Man Jeanne's so awful, I didn't expect a bigger bitch then du barry to come along.
Mar 9, 2015 3:07 PM

Apr 2014
i was afraid this would happen, but the villain isn't even any different from du Barry.... i'm so disappointed, hopefully the story changes up somehow

please more Oscar! even when she shows up for a minute it makes everything better, i love her
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2015 7:31 PM

Jan 2010
Two things concern me about Rose of Versailles so far.

The first is the pace which time passes. I'm actually starting to lose track of what's going on, as events occur between episodes which are merely narrated to us. Also, it's hard to tell if time has truly passed since the characters are drawn relatively the same. Small changes are made, especially with regard to how they're physically drawn, but it's so subtle that I often don't notice. Their demeanors hardly change, and the only reference the viewer seems to have is which scheme is currently going on. This could perhaps be a good thing as it requires attention and investment, but it also makes the anime feel rushed somehow.

Second is Oscar herself. She's an extremely enjoyable character thus far, but it took me a bit to figure out why. Now I think I get why: she's the most sane, detached, competent, and observant character in the show with both the physical prowess and oratory skills to back herself up. By default, that makes her the best character in the show thus far, although it's almost unfair. As a result, while I can say "Oscar is great," I'm unsure if it's a conclusion I came to myself, or if it was orchestrated by the show's writing.
Sep 22, 2015 11:29 PM

Mar 2012
You're LAUGHING, Oscar? I mean, yeah, that was kinda cute of you, but that scene was so sad >:

When Jeanne was ''helping'' her sister I tough that she would make a great ''gray'' character but nope, I hate the black&white shape of things in this series. Although that DID build up to Rosalie's character.

Shocked said:

The first is the pace which time passes. I'm actually starting to lose track of what's going on, as events occur between episodes which are merely narrated to us. Also, it's hard to tell if time has truly passed since the characters are drawn relatively the same. Small changes are made, especially with regard to how they're physically drawn, but it's so subtle that I often don't notice. Their demeanors hardly change, and the only reference the viewer seems to have is which scheme is currently going on. This could perhaps be a good thing as it requires attention and investment, but it also makes the anime feel rushed somehow.

Oh, agree with that. Simply having dates on the screen would have helped, but I guess Oscar is 19 now?
I mean, she has the same age as Marie (born in 1755) and Louis XVI became king in 1774.
Jan 6, 2016 7:16 AM
Nov 2014
A new dark force has rise in the storyline.... And people thought du Barry was bad.
Jun 8, 2016 10:39 PM

Jan 2013
The sun sets, the sun rises
One bitch goes, another arises...

Jokes aside this was a brilliant episode and Jeanne is actually one of my fav characters from the show. Her rise to fame pretty much mirrors that of du Barry. Just what fame and money can do to you. Poor Rosalie. Her struggles were brilliantly portrayed. Wonder if Fersen helps her in any way, since they did meet once..
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jul 17, 2016 12:20 AM

Oct 2012
This episode was intense. Jeanne is a huge bitch, she's like next level du Barry. Oscar continues to be cooler than ever, she's the greatest.
Sep 25, 2017 9:33 PM
May 2012
she looks just like dubarry.
Dec 11, 2017 1:04 PM

Nov 2016
I was expecting a lot from Jeanne,but this exceeded my expectations,she's quite the schemer and absolutely unscrupulous on top. Definitely an entertaining villain. Oscar already sensed the upcoming danger,this is going to be very interesting.

Poor Rosalie,tho :/

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 19, 2018 8:33 PM
Jan 2018
Só pude sentir odio pela Jeanne. Completamente obstinada a conseguir o que quer. A irmã dela...pobrezinha quase chegou ao extremo...Sorte que a maravilhosa Oscar apareceu. Aquele humor dela na parte em que é parada pela irmã da Jeanne foi demais!
Oct 9, 2018 11:07 PM

Oct 2016
This added a lot of depth to Oscar's character as well. She had no idea what was going on outside the life of wealth. She can judge as harshly as she wants, but Rosalie had no other choice. She got lucky. I wonder what's going to happen when Rosalie's money runs out again.
Jan 7, 2019 3:48 PM
Jul 2018
Oh Lord. I didn't need du Barry 2.0

Rosalie, I hope luck smiles upon you very soon.
Feb 25, 2019 11:30 PM

Mar 2012
I really can't stand what Jeanne is doing. Taking advantage of someone's kindness and betraying them, that's the worst. But still when the mother implied that Rosalie was the better one it really pissed me off. Why does anime always show the older sibling to be evil and the younger to be good!?
Mar 12, 2019 10:57 AM
Dec 2014
We witnessed the creation of an upgraded version of Madame du Barry
Sep 10, 2020 1:31 AM

Jul 2015
Feels like we got the second coming of du Barry here in the form of Jeanne. Poor Rosalie having to take care of their sick mother and betrayed by her own 'sister' and also quite sad for Marquise Brandvillier who took care of that backstabbing snake.

Dec 30, 2020 3:56 PM
Dec 2015
I've liked this anime from the start but this episode truly touched me. The contrast between the two sisters is kind of ironic.
Jan 24, 2021 9:55 PM
Jan 2021
I suppose du Barry was replaced by Jeanne. I honestly feel bad for how awful Rosalie was treated by Jeanne. Hopefully Oscar can think of a way to get back at Jeanne before the situation escalates even more.
Feb 1, 2021 6:04 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
du Barry version 2.0. And she seems's even more ruthless though less attractive than her predecessor. Murdering the woman that took her in seems so low.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 1, 2021 1:47 PM

Nov 2018
ENFJs gone wrong are scariest and most violent people ever
I hate everyone equally
Mar 28, 2021 9:11 PM

Aug 2018
Honestly fuck you Jeanne.

I feel so bad for Rosalie, however, prostitution is never the answer, a girls body is precious, dont ruin yourself like that.

May 7, 2021 3:22 PM
Mar 2021
What an episode! Very dark in tone, and the new villain is amazing!

In fact, Jeanne quite reminds me of a certain villain from Jojo's Bizzarre Adventure. I didn't expect this anime to be this good ngl, even in spite of its high review score.
Jul 2, 2021 11:45 PM

Jan 2021
Great. Another du Barry.
Also poor Rosalie T_T
Nov 11, 2021 3:29 AM

Feb 2020
I loved the scene between Oscar and Rosalie, it's a good way to remind us that Oscar can be very ignorant of some aspects of the world due to being a noble, as well as pointing out that something is wrong in Louis XVI's and Marie-Antoinette's way of ruling.

Also, I already know about Jeanne's story so I'm not very surprised by what's going on (at least when it comes to the most important), but I'm very curious to see how everything will be shown, especially when it comes to one specific event. I'm looking forward to that.

However I don't know anything about Rosalie, so I really don't know what to expect but I'm sure it's going to be interesting.

That's part of why I'm loving this show, not only is the narration great and the characters charismatic and very well written but it's also such a great way to study history, even if a lot of aspects are obviously romanticized the most important is there.
May 27, 2022 3:52 PM

Dec 2021
Exit stage one old wench

In comes a new one

Hopefully Roseline gets the last laugh from her evil commoner sister!!
May 27, 2022 3:54 PM

Dec 2021
Zevven said:
ENFJs gone wrong are scariest and most violent people ever

what are ENFJ's .?
May 27, 2022 5:08 PM

Dec 2021
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madame_du_Barry#Relationship_with_Marie_Antoinette

TIL Du Barry and Jeannie are possibly the same person in real life!!!

(though I'm still watching the anime , so I won't spoil further ;) )

edit :::

Du Barry and Jeannie are different people in real life ,, and yes both are based on real life people !!
kushmonatlJun 16, 2022 11:56 PM
Jun 9, 2022 11:42 PM

Apr 2020
Jeanne is shaping up to be a good villain. Jeez, poor Rosalie :( Looks like we have another Dubarry in the making lol. But hey, Dubarry at least loved her mother, unlike Jeanne.
Jul 9, 2022 1:54 PM

Jul 2016
Part of me is rooting for Jeanne since her first appearance as I pity her since she grew up on the streets and I liked how she was ambitious and took initiative to go after her goals while the other part of me doesn't want to anymore because of what she did to her sister Rosalie. Also it seems like the mother is hinting that only Rosalie is the true descendant of Valois while Jeanne has a different father.
Jul 12, 2022 9:25 PM

Apr 2016
Jeanne got me gasping when she got poor Rosalie to get whipped and she got some nice looks too, duBarry has a great replacement.

Rosalie stop walking with your bread without paying attention to the road please.

Nice to show Oscar having a very privileged point of view and not just a flawless character
May 26, 2023 12:58 AM

Jan 2021
I had thought that Jeanne might not accept Rosalie's presence, but when she opened the door and told the two ladies that Rosalie was her maid, I had a little thought that perhaps Jeanne would help Rosalie in some small way. Apparently not, a devil will always be a devil, she didn't even hesitate to try to kill Rosalie.

I hope Rosalie can get a decent life and even the life she deserves, living happily with her mother and leaving Jeanne to die alone lol (although looking at Rosalie's personality, it seems that it will be difficult to happen because she will not let her family suffer...).

I'm glad she met Oscar and not some random old man. By the way Oscar's laugh was so crunchy lol I laughed too when she laughed and said "now that's a new one!"

Dec 1, 2023 2:24 AM

Apr 2017
Reply to Amatniki
Honestly fuck you Jeanne.

I feel so bad for Rosalie, however, prostitution is never the answer, a girls body is precious, dont ruin yourself like that.
@Amatniki The way you comically miss the point...

That's to show that sex work was one of the only options for women in poverty. It was either get lucky and be a maid for a wealthy family, work yourself to the bone at the different restaurants and shops (which Rosalie was fired from, since the wealth gap was growing and the shops couldn't afford to hire more workers), or prostitution. Yes, you can sneer down on it (likely due to your own misogyny, since sex work isn't something to be ashamed of), but it was either die to famine and disease, or put aside your pride and turn to sex work.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 38 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Dec 13, 2008

42 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Sep 6, 2011

25 by MysteriousFriend »»
May 5, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 13 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Oct 19, 2008

31 by MysteriousFriend »»
May 4, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 )

fanty - Nov 5, 2009

74 by GinGmaximum »»
Apr 19, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yma981 - Sep 23, 2008

65 by ArtimesGamer »»
Apr 19, 2:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.