Forum Settings
Forums

Toonami Block Returns to Adult Swim, Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins to Air

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 21, 2012 6:35 PM

Apr 2009
I personally didn't like Deadman Wonderland & Casshern Sins. It's still hard to believe that DRRR did worse than Bleach, so I know that Baccano!(great anime by the way) would have no chance in hell of surviving on Adult Swim.

It would be nice to see Monster on it, but it seems that Monster would probably be aired on some premium channel, kinda like how Witchblade & Speed Grapher are on IFC.
May 21, 2012 6:40 PM

May 2008
It's such a shame since the people behind Toonami really want to make this block work but they just don't have the money or the right time slots. For what they've got, I think it's a good start, but not old school Toonami material at all. I'd like this little experiment to be a success, but people are pretty unhappy about it and it hasn't even aired yet! And for god's sake, get rid of Bebop and GitS! No offense to the shows or anything, but they've already served their time on AS. (That's actually kind of an understatement.)

EDIT:
Hell, if they could just show Tenshi Muyo, Yu Yu Hakusho and/or Dragon Ball Z, I think a lot of us would be more convinced to stay up and watch the Toonami we all remember. After all, it's nostalgic value they're trying to use to their advantage, correct?
NanoZeroMay 21, 2012 7:04 PM
May 21, 2012 6:49 PM

Nov 2009
Okay, I have a friend who loved Deadman Wonderland so that alone would make me think about giving it a try. I also wanted to see Casshern Sins so I'm not really complaining. Only time will tell
May 21, 2012 6:59 PM

Feb 2012
Well, I will certainly check out both shows but I totally agree with NanoZero. It is time to shelf Cowboy Beebop and Big O.
May 21, 2012 7:06 PM

Feb 2012
DW japan sells bombed, so I guess it was cheap for Funi to license it. There for it was cheap for AS to broadcast it. Plus they're aiming for the casual viewer who watches bleach, FMA, and DRRR.
May 21, 2012 7:15 PM

Jun 2010
I guess I'll be one of the only ones to say I'm looking forward to watching Deadman Wonderland. . . What? I like it for what it is. Interesting choice on Casshern Sins, but something like Darker Than Black might have been a better choice to go with though, I hope it goes well for them and maybe we'll get stuff like Tiger&Bunny there eventually.
"The R1 Anime business is a cruel and shallow financial trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
May 21, 2012 7:40 PM

Feb 2012
Maora said:
If they want profit, they shoud just have Hetalia on air and a billion of fangirls with join watching [ as ]/ toonami.

And i would be one of them, lol. Granted i can just watch the entire series on Youtube and having 5-minute episode intervals might be tough for them, it'll probably bring in more people than something that makes people slightly think.
That's the one complaint i get from people about Anime: They have to watch every episode to get everything.
Might as well just stuff Toonami with a bunch of comedies that don't have plot to keep their viewers. Panty and Stocking would have been a great choice.

But anyway, since i read the manga beforehand and didn't think the Anime was complete shit, i'm open to Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins. It's a bit late, but because it's summer i don't mind staying up late for them. Didn't even know DW was getting a dub, so this will be a (hopefully) pleasant surprise.

The Toonami producers should really take recommendations from us though. I'm glad they chose a series i haven't seen yet so i have some interest in watching the time slot, but if the series turns out to be crap it's going to be a huge bomb.

For now this is a good start. If it succeeds, we may get our wishes next time around.
VyudaliMay 21, 2012 7:43 PM
May 21, 2012 8:01 PM

Oct 2010
holy f*ck... O.o
May 21, 2012 8:04 PM

Jan 2011
Vyudali said:

The Toonami producers should really take recommendations from us though.

They are...the problem is a tight budget, not just being asses and not listening to the fans. They've stated they've heard the interest in PSG and Tiger and Bunny, and were interested in it as well. But they need money first before they can get bigger (more expensive) shows.
May 21, 2012 8:20 PM
Oct 2010
Xionic said:
Should be airing shit like Steins;Gate and other win shows. Just because Deadman Wonderland is bloody and shit doesn't mean it should have priority. Probably will appeal to people looking for something 'new and cool'.

damn hipsters
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

May 21, 2012 8:56 PM
Oct 2009
faggy complaining makes me want to see this Deadman Wonderland now. Either way it sounds at least more entertaining than that Outlaw Star anime I've been watching lately, which is meh taken to new heights of meh, and that became big.

Smile, Sweet, Sister, Sadistic, Surprise, Service, Slider
May 21, 2012 8:58 PM

Aug 2011
Madoka would actually make me watch TV every once in a while.
May 21, 2012 9:04 PM

Jul 2010
Great, now we'll see a bunch of kiddos running around yelling how awesome Deadman wonderland is. And for the record, Deadman Wonderland was shit.

I kinda expected it would be a show they'd air though. And I suppose there are worse shows they could have aired but hey.
May 21, 2012 9:36 PM

Apr 2012
So they would like to air Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt sometime down the road.

Good luck getting it past the censors.
May 21, 2012 10:33 PM

Jan 2011
_fantasticmrfox said:
So they would like to air Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt sometime down the road.

That wouldn't be hard at all...just watch an episode of Boondocks.
May 21, 2012 10:52 PM

Oct 2009
WTF O_o.......I just had dream 2 days ago that adult swim bring back Toonami.
Ii'm going to missed watching Durarara live on tv.
I have poorly English grammar, so for give me. I still learning.
-....Loading.....
May 21, 2012 10:58 PM

Apr 2010
Deadman wonderland is a pretty enjoyable show. Loose ending, but whatever. Look forward to watching it in engrish.
May 21, 2012 11:24 PM

Jun 2010
WHOA! BLEACH!
May 21, 2012 11:58 PM

Apr 2010
I'll be watching both just to support the return of Toonami. <3
May 22, 2012 12:00 AM

Feb 2012
I'm in the UK but I hope it this does well and gets good ratings!
May 22, 2012 12:05 AM
Jul 2018
And the winner is...Funi. Congratulations Funimation.
May 22, 2012 12:05 AM

May 2011
Adult swim went bad a long time ago.
Never really watched anything on CN to begin with except Star Wars CW

First I ever heard of Toonami was hearing about DBZ dubbed and what not but I watched the original soz.

Would be interesting to see P&S dubbed though
May 22, 2012 12:20 AM

Oct 2011
wow, adult swim must be pretty desperate for viewers if they're actually planning to revive their anime block...they've been ignoring it for years and rerunning the same shows in endless repetition to the point where they've lost all their viewers and now they actually plan to start running new anime again? too little, too late...most people stopped watching years ago (including me)......also, most real anime fans would rather watch subs anyways, dubs (in general) are usually unwatchable to me - it's like viewing a paint by numbers version of a great piece of art...
octal9May 22, 2012 12:25 AM
May 22, 2012 1:17 AM

Aug 2011
octal9 said:
most real anime fans would rather watch subs anyways, dubs (in general) are usually unwatchable to me - it's like viewing a paint by numbers version of a great piece of art...

While I agree that subs are much better than dubs, watching subs does not make you anymore of an anime fan than someone who watches dubs.
May 22, 2012 1:22 AM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
I feel bad for all the kids today that watch Toonami. They'll never experience a promo this good, especially with the lineup they have now.

KuroDubZeroMay 22, 2012 4:17 PM
May 22, 2012 3:41 AM

Feb 2012
mitch3315 said:

While I agree that subs are much better than dubs, watching subs does not make you anymore of an anime fan than someone who watches dubs.

Well said.

KuroDubZero said:
I feel bad for all the kids today that watch Toonami. They'll never experience a promo this good, especially with the line up they have now.

I'm pretty sure most of the time they'll be playing old series, so it's likely they'll use their good promos.
May 22, 2012 5:21 AM

Oct 2011
mitch3315 said:
octal9 said:
most real anime fans would rather watch subs anyways, dubs (in general) are usually unwatchable to me - it's like viewing a paint by numbers version of a great piece of art...

This, I can understand why subs are generally preferred because they do tend to be better (not in all cases), but watching them over dubs doesn't make you any more of a fan than the person that watched the show dubbed, they just liked a different version than you. That is one of the most asinine misconceptions with anime fans that to be a "real" fan you have to watch the sub. I don't mean to offend anyone because I watch most shows subbed, but to condemn others for liking a different adaption than you, whether it be an English dub, Spanish dub, Korean dub, Arabic dub, Italian dub, or whatever is just wrong.
May 22, 2012 6:38 AM

Dec 2009
Deadman Wonderland.

Deadman.

Wonderland.

Deadland Wonderman.

Horribly bad.

Go away.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

May 22, 2012 7:54 AM

Apr 2011
Not a good lineup IMO. But maybe when they get more money they can get Naruto from Disney though I doubt anyone watches the dub anyways.
May 22, 2012 7:59 AM

Jan 2008
_fantasticmrfox said:

Look at most of the shows Adult Swim already has. With shows like Metalocalypse up on there it wouldn't even be a challenge.
May 22, 2012 11:29 AM
Mar 2012
icantfeelmyarms said:
WHOA! BLEACH!

Whoa dude they have been airing Bleach LOOOONG after toonami ended in fact they have been airing new episodes up to now.
May 22, 2012 11:32 AM

Aug 2010
Dubs, subs, pubs. This is rather disappointing about how most of you are just bickering what's completely unwatchable. Dubbing companies are trying to run a business here, and they just try their best to entertain its fans.

Even though I prefer to watch subs because the Japanese cast and their voices have more feeling and drama than the dubs, dubs exist for people who well aren't as fortunate as many of us with decent computers or with the ability to understand English subs as well. I have a friend in Mexico whose gardner wanted to watch Saint Seiya, but has horrible English understanding because their government wouldn't provide the education to do English. I had to go out and find a complete set that's completely Spanish dubbed for my friend.

Long story short, quit bitching and just watch what you want to watch. Everyone has their own preferences.
May 22, 2012 11:36 AM

Oct 2011
GigaSPX said:

Long story short, quit bitching and just watch what you want to watch. Everyone has their own preferences.

Only if it was that easy,but the arrogant high-horse riding fans might not make it that easy.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
May 22, 2012 2:22 PM

Jul 2010
Okay,Deadman Wonderland is just one show.One show will not nuke Toonami's return.True,the Deadman Wonderland anime turned mediocre after the first episode and went into becoming complete crap after
.But saying that anime alone will bring Toonami down is just ridiculous.Even with the crappiness of Deadman Wonderland,we still have Casshern Sins which is actually worth watching.In any case,Toonami JUST came back,so who knows,we might end up seeing Madoka or Fairy Tail or who knows what later on.Besides,if people who usually watch Adult Swim on Saturdays manage to stomach through dubbed Bleach filler,a 12 episode anime won't kill anyone.One last note,seeing Toonami return makes me wonder,would this be a good opportunity to get an actually bloody and adult-ish version of Naruto Shippuden unlike the one Disney XD had?
May 23, 2012 12:14 PM

Nov 2009
I wish they were approaching the return of Toonami differently, but at least it's nice to know that we get to see T.O.M. in action again.
May 23, 2012 12:16 PM

Dec 2011
GigaSPX said:

I have a friend in Mexico whose gardner wanted to watch Saint Seiya, but has horrible English understanding because their government wouldn't provide the education to do English. I had to go out and find a complete set that's completely Spanish dubbed for my friend.

Was he illiterate as well? /blah
May 23, 2012 4:28 PM

Aug 2010
This story was to set an example about some positives of pros. I don't know the story about him too well though.

If you're saying my post was illiterate, that's not even worth the matter of debating.
May 23, 2012 4:36 PM

Feb 2012
there's no way some of you have any idea how this works. there's not a lot of funds to work with, they can't just simply slap steins;gate onto the lineup. you also have to consider adult swim's fanbase, casual viewers, the majority not being anime fans even if they watch and enjoy anime on the channel; so it's natural that they air anime with light-weighted concepts and action appeal. i think deadman wonderland would be a good start to toonami, however, i don't expect to see something like madoka aired anytime soon if ever.
May 23, 2012 4:59 PM

May 2008
Now that I think about it... Toonami broadcasting Deadman Wonderland, as bad as it may be, isn't the worst thing they could have done.

Remember when Toonami aired between 1998-2004? Remember when the block was at it's peak in popularity? Well, I hate to say it, but during those 6 years, they've had to work with some of the worst English dubs in anime history (Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors, etc.), that would make any hardcore fan spit in disgust and yet they not only got the ratings they needed, but they turned these into some of the most popular anime at the time. They, at that time, turned lead into gold, with the help of us, who gave them a chance. And because of this, they gave us some very good anime with better treatment (at least in my opinion), such as Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, and Evangelion. This was only possible because we gave them a chance!

Point is, even if most of us are disappointed, we have to give them the chance we gave them in the past in order to get some quality anime back on TV. Am I pleased with the choices they've made? Not really, no. But will I shut them down completely because of it? No, because I remember how glorious that block was and I now realize at my age, that I, among countless others just like me, helped turn Toonami into a legend. So, even if you really hated DMW, or you had your hopes up that DBZ would come back on the block, help support Toonami anyway. The least you could do is just turn the TV for a little while. Use it as background noise, mute it, chat with some buddies online or something. They don't care, as long as that TV is on, you're supporting them and bringing them steps closer to turning the block into something great.

There's that saying that you gotta dig through the crap to get to the good stuff, right? That pretty much applies here, I guess.

(Sorry if it sounds incredibly sappy, but for the fate of anime on US TV, this is kind of a big deal. And yes, I'm guilty of complaining, but if I want my wishes to become reality, I have to help Toonami.)
May 23, 2012 7:48 PM
Sep 2011
i stop watching Adult Swim and Toonami back in 2002 maybe i'll give it another shot...

Please Don't Be Bad

Please Don't Be Bad

Please Don't Be Bad

don't fuck up the dubs >_<!!!!
May 24, 2012 11:31 AM

Jun 2008
There is one very important thing you are all missing about this.

SHINY SHINY is going to be on American television.
May 24, 2012 11:44 AM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
Do any of you think that this will last long? Let's face it, anime was cool back in the early 2000s but now the vast majority of people in America don't care that much about it anymore. And the fact that T.V. is now considered an irrelevant form of getting entertainment is a bad sign.

Also, to those people who complain that DBZ and Naruto aren't in the block, I hate you.
May 24, 2012 4:59 PM

Feb 2012
I liked Deadman Wonderland >_> I say godspeed Toonami, hope it goes well.
May 25, 2012 9:14 AM

Sep 2010
DrGonzo7 said:
Do any of you think that this will last long? Let's face it, anime was cool back in the early 2000s but now the vast majority of people in America don't care that much about it anymore. And the fact that T.V. is now considered an irrelevant form of getting entertainment is a bad sign.

Also, to those people who complain that DBZ and Naruto aren't in the block, I hate you.

If anime was a fad in the earlt 2000s(It's not even that far back tbh) then like a fad it can make a comeback and the thought of it working for a station that primarily just shows cartoons isn't a big logical leap.

TV is only considered an irrelevant form for people that don't understand it is still the most profitable form because of the ads and viewers that show up to watch programs on a schedule. The internet, for those with fast enough speeds not non-crap PCs, might be able to find something to watch faster than channel surfing but doing so makes less money for the businesses involved.

May 25, 2012 1:29 PM

Dec 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
There is one very important thing you are all missing about this.

SHINY SHINY is going to be on American television.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-05-21/funimation-announces-deadman-wonderland-dub-cast

Cast of the Deadmand Wonderland dub.

I also found this on youtube:
May 25, 2012 5:59 PM

Apr 2009
NanoZero said:
Now that I think about it... Toonami broadcasting Deadman Wonderland, as bad as it may be, isn't the worst thing they could have done.

Remember when Toonami aired between 1998-2004? Remember when the block was at it's peak in popularity? Well, I hate to say it, but during those 6 years, they've had to work with some of the worst English dubs in anime history (Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors, etc.), that would make any hardcore fan spit in disgust and yet they not only got the ratings they needed, but they turned these into some of the most popular anime at the time. They, at that time, turned lead into gold, with the help of us, who gave them a chance. And because of this, they gave us some very good anime with better treatment (at least in my opinion), such as Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, and Evangelion. This was only possible because we gave them a chance!

Point is, even if most of us are disappointed, we have to give them the chance we gave them in the past in order to get some quality anime back on TV. Am I pleased with the choices they've made? Not really, no. But will I shut them down completely because of it? No, because I remember how glorious that block was and I now realize at my age, that I, among countless others just like me, helped turn Toonami into a legend. So, even if you really hated DMW, or you had your hopes up that DBZ would come back on the block, help support Toonami anyway. The least you could do is just turn the TV for a little while. Use it as background noise, mute it, chat with some buddies online or something. They don't care, as long as that TV is on, you're supporting them and bringing them steps closer to turning the block into something great.

There's that saying that you gotta dig through the crap to get to the good stuff, right? That pretty much applies here, I guess.

(Sorry if it sounds incredibly sappy, but for the fate of anime on US TV, this is kind of a big deal. And yes, I'm guilty of complaining, but if I want my wishes to become reality, I have to help Toonami.)

That's pretty much the exact same thing they're doing now.

Due to their low budget, this is the best they can do right now- they can barely afford to make new TOM animations with the current budget. But, with better ratings come more money, meaning more shows that will at some point replace Deadman Wonderland.They've expressed an interest in One Piece, Fairy Tail, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, Gundam Wing, and Inuyasha: The Final Act, along with others (most likely some of the older series that used to air on Toonami but they couldn't get the rights to air them right off the bat), so we'll eventually get better shows. We just have to actually, ya know, watch.
May 25, 2012 8:31 PM

Jun 2011
Hey guys.

May 26, 2012 3:21 AM

Feb 2008
BULLDOG266 said:
Dear Toonami, will you forsaken yourself once more? REALLY? Deadman Wonderland? Yes it is/WAS "good" (using that term VERY LOOSELY) but not "good" enough to be shown on your channel. Want views and pretty much a guarantee from your loyal fanbase that you will never be canceled again? Show the following programs :

Steins;Gate - could work, but it appeals to the Durarara!! audience type, and doesn't fit the toonami image.
Madoka Magica - wouldn't make it because AS viewers would write it off as a "girly show."
Bakemonogatari - wouldn't make it because it doesn't have enough fighting/
Nisemonogatari - assuming the same as the prequel.
Mirai Nikki - could work, but wouldn't in an early revival.
Shakugan no Shana - definitely could work, and fits Toonami's image.
Angel Beats! - could have a small chance of working.
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? - comedy based, not a toonami thing.

That should do for maybe about a month or two? I know dubbing is a bitch a money is a pain to grasp onto, but getting those shows on would really set Toonami forward.
You're making a grave error. This isn't the toonami of the nineties that pulled in the ratings that let them air shows like Sailor Moon and Hamtaro. This is a new toonami, on a network that's been barely fighting death. They don't have the luxury of being experimental, not yet at least, so most of the stuff you mentioned couldn't happen.
DamonashuMay 26, 2012 3:25 AM
May 26, 2012 10:20 PM
May 2012
damn it screw you people deadman wonderland had instant action since minute 2
that anime was awesome
and yes steins gate was awesome too but watch chaos head too if you're into steins gate
May 26, 2012 10:27 PM

Jul 2010
somefakeusername said:
damn it screw you people deadman wonderland had instant action since minute 2
that anime was awesome
and yes steins gate was awesome too but watch chaos head too if you're into steins gate

No to that first statement.

No to watching chaos head...ever. (steins gate was glorious though)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 51 minutes ago

4 by nec0_0 »»
37 minutes ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 4 hours ago

7 by malvarez1 »»
51 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by Kushna »»
4 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.