Forum Settings
Forums

Toonami Block Returns to Adult Swim, Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins to Air

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 21, 2012 2:45 PM
Apr 2011
FAIRY TAIL IS THE WAY TO GO, EVERY ONE KNOWS IT...
May 21, 2012 2:47 PM

Jun 2011
BULLDOG266 said:
Dear Toonami, will you forsaken yourself once more? REALLY? Deadman Wonderland? Yes it is/WAS "good" (using that term VERY LOOSELY) but not "good" enough to be shown on your channel. Want views and pretty much a guarantee from your loyal fanbase that you will never be canceled again? Show the following programs :

Steins;Gate
Madoka Magica
Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Mirai Nikki
Shakugan no Shana
Angel Beats!
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

That should do for maybe about a month or two? I know dubbing is a bitch a money is a pain to grasp onto, but getting those shows on would really set Toonami forward.

>Nisemonogatari.
Toothbrush scene on TV........

Well, I rather have something on the lines of having Baccano, Hellsing Ultimate (OVA I know, but would be cool to see how they handle it), Death Note, TTGL, and P&S due to those all appealing to the demographic/nostalgiaing people for Toonami.
May 21, 2012 2:49 PM

Jan 2011
It think it's a good start. I understand they had very little to work with. It's cool that they only have two new shows, at lease they are decent. Hopefully they'll be able to get some of the big hitters later this year. Good luck, Toonami.
May 21, 2012 2:49 PM

Sep 2010
Toonami is airing a 12 episode(incomplete) anime...meh. I've always favored shows that are at least 3x that length and complete because of how that channel uses reruns. 12 episodes won't be enough to have a decent rerun schedule. That length only works in Japan because they air new episodes all year round.

There could be better choices but given their budget constraints and the fact they have let a lot of other anime pass them by(Soul Eater, Monster, Gundam00). The shows they have know are probably their best bets.

The problem is you're thinking of the bigger anime fans that actively search out anime as it airs, and the casuals who watch in on Toonami.

It's funny that it appears you are assuming that anime people have to seek out can't be enjoyed by Toonami fans. If a show is good then it is good, no matter who finds it first.

May 21, 2012 2:52 PM

Oct 2011
Hey people,ever heard the term beggars can't be choosers?We wanted newer anime on the line-up,here they are (I hope they'll have more).
My thoughts:
- Deadman Wonderland:Well,though I read a good amount of the manga & then seen the 1st 2-3 episodes.The anime was OK for me,but it apparently did bad enough for there to be no season 2 & 1/2 of the people here are hating on it.
- Casshern Sins:I was actually planning on checking out :).Now,that it's airing here,I might as well watching in on this new Toonami to support it.

People,think for a bit.We wanted Toonami back (nostalgia aside) because we believe it will help get a lot of people into anime.Do you think average people who are up that late will be interested in something like Madoka Magica?They'll be like,"Why is this girly sh!t on my Adult Swim?Put this on Nickelodeon or Disney?".As funny as that would be to see (Madoka Magica on Nick or Disney),it's definitely not gonna support Toonami unless there's a good amount of average people who like moe girls.
So,action anime (whether good or bad to us) should have a chance to air.Hey,some anime that did sh!t in Japan made be a success here (I think Trigun is an example of that).
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
May 21, 2012 2:56 PM

Jul 2007
Guys, what they didn't tell you in this article is that after Casshern Sins its Fullmetal Brotherhood, Ghost in the Shell s2, and Cowboy Bebop. So if you take it as a whole: Deadman Wonderland, Casshern Sins, Fullmetal Brotherhood, Ghost in the Shell s2, and Cowboy Bebop.

That's one hell of a lineup!
May 21, 2012 3:04 PM

Jan 2011
WTH? No Tenchi? F U, i only joined the movement on twitter just so i could see
some of the old shows that were on the toonami i remember. F the new Toonami.
May 21, 2012 3:05 PM

Sep 2009
Those are some really odd choices. I don't get why they'd choose those.
May 21, 2012 3:28 PM

Jun 2009
when was dead man dubbed and TOONAMI is Back YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 21, 2012 3:38 PM

Apr 2011
I hope a lot of new people can get into anime now that Toonami is back.
May 21, 2012 3:52 PM

Dec 2011
I'd been meaning to watch Deadman Wonderland, so i guess now i can. Though, i'm not sure it will be any better than people say dubbed and with probable censorship. Casshern Sins sounds decent enough.

I want to see what else they'll be showing, though. I'd imagine Madoka will come somewhere down the line, but i hope it doesn't. Mirai Nikki or Steins;gate seem like two things AS would air eventually too, but i dread hearing Yuno's voice dubbed. Or really, all of them dubbed. Madoka's and most other show dubs aren't exactly good.
May 21, 2012 3:54 PM

Dec 2010
Eh, I guess people are hard to show gratitude after all.

I was hoping for Gurren Lagann, tbh. But these two plus the other airing will do.

AkkaAkka said:
I hope a lot of new people can get into anime now that Toonami is back.

That'd be nice.
May 21, 2012 4:08 PM

Sep 2008
So it's not really "Toonami" Adult swim just called the time period where it would normally show anime "toonami" as a crappy marketing ploy? Why do you have an anime block and what was already an anime block.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
May 21, 2012 4:45 PM
Jul 2011
lol so it's basically the same adult swim block with deadman wonderland and casshern sins on it and a 'toonami' sticker slapped on to it...

i can't believe all this hype gone to waste, if they couldnt get good shows instead of this shitfest toonami shouldn't have come back at all, but seeing as how the majority of [as] fans are apparently mentally retarded with low as fuck attention spans (durarara doing bad in the ratings while shit like bleach does well) who need action every 17 seconds and everything with some talk in it is "lulz so boring >.>" I can't see new shows like steins;gate being broadcasted unfortunately

deadman wonderland is an absouletly terrible show but it's a good choice for CN because i can see the majority of [as] fans 'relating to show' seeing as how theyre 14 year old grimdark angst douhcebags who are ''so c00l and edgy who loves blood and death" (emo shitheads)

i actually remember an [as] fan saying they saw the opening for Panty and stocking on youtube and they apparently automatically hated the show and said they wanted bleach and the rest of the [as] shows to stay as is, so you know what i dont even want my favorite anime to lay in the hands of these retarded fucks
May 21, 2012 4:54 PM

Jan 2011
Some people are really bitching and not even seeing the full facts. Toonami has already stated that they currently don't have much money right now, so these two shows were probably the cheaper of the bunch. They've already stated they are interested in a couple episodes, PSG and Tiger and Bunny was brought up. In order for them to GET the money to air the shows you want, you have to help them by tuning in.

And no, its not just Toonami slapped on a Adult Swim lineup. They are taking the time to make new Tom animations, new game reviews, and completely new segments. And they can barely do that. They don't even have enough money to create Sarah to accompany Tom.

You people wanted Toonami, now you need to do your part and help them get it established.
May 21, 2012 4:57 PM

Jan 2011
otaku1793 said:
so they show crappy shows to make the point that nobody will watch. Great. Im sure they will use this as an excuse to cancel it again.

Speak for yourself.
May 21, 2012 4:57 PM

Jan 2011
-LovelyDandere said:
BULLDOG266 said:
Dear Toonami, will you forsaken yourself once more? REALLY? Deadman Wonderland? Yes it is/WAS "good" (using that term VERY LOOSELY) but not "good" enough to be shown on your channel. Want views and pretty much a guarantee from your loyal fanbase that you will never be canceled again? Show the following programs :

Steins;Gate
Madoka Magica
Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Mirai Nikki
Shakugan no Shana
Angel Beats!
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

That should do for maybe about a month or two? I know dubbing is a bitch a money is a pain to grasp onto, but getting those shows on would really set Toonami forward.

Bakemono and Nisemono may not be a good idea due to the heavy dialouge. Besides, there'll be Bleach fans watching this. I doubt the majority of them will be intelligent enough to understand Bake or Nise

Bake and Nise don't require any special level of intelligence to be understood...
[center]
May 21, 2012 5:08 PM

Jun 2011
It takes intelligent to realize it's just Ecchi that tries to be smart. Nise more then Bakemono but it's there still.
May 21, 2012 5:10 PM

Oct 2011
VioLink said:
-LovelyDandere said:
BULLDOG266 said:

Steins;Gate
Madoka Magica
Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Mirai Nikki
Shakugan no Shana
Angel Beats!
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

Bakemono and Nisemono may not be a good idea due to the heavy dialouge. Besides, there'll be Bleach fans watching this. I doubt the majority of them will be intelligent enough to understand Bake or Nise

Bake and Nise don't require any special level of intelligence to be understood...

I think he meant a good level of attention span.When you have stuff like Durara failing (apparently) & Bleach succeeding,it's a sign your viewers have low attention span (not retard as some people here referred to them as).
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
May 21, 2012 5:17 PM

Apr 2010
I doubt the Adult Swim crowd would even get far enough into those two shows to worry about the dialogue. That fact its no action and a bunch of cute girls would be enough of a turn off since your typical casual anime fan thinks cute girls are the worst part of anime. Kinda funny how they're fine with big muscular guys that are all sweaty and topless though (DBZ)...

May 21, 2012 5:27 PM

Jan 2011
Jeddy017 said:
VioLink said:
-LovelyDandere said:
BULLDOG266 said:

Steins;Gate
Madoka Magica
Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Mirai Nikki
Shakugan no Shana
Angel Beats!
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

I think he meant a good level of attention span.When you have stuff like Durara failing (apparently) & Bleach succeeding,it's a sign your viewers have low attention span (not retard as some people here referred to them as).

How did Durarara fail? Becuase it's not popular? Adult swim aired Kekkashi (another supernatural action shounen anime) and it didn't become as popular bleach either.
[center]
May 21, 2012 5:31 PM

Apr 2010
VioLink said:
How did Durarara fail? Becuase it's not popular? Adult swim aired Kekkashi (another supernatural action shounen anime) and it didn't become as popular bleach either.

It failed because it was the lowest rated show that Toonami ever aired... and for a TV block, ratings are all that matters so yeah, its a massive failure.

May 21, 2012 5:35 PM

Sep 2011
Jeddy017 said:
VioLink said:
-LovelyDandere said:
BULLDOG266 said:

Steins;Gate
Madoka Magica
Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Mirai Nikki
Shakugan no Shana
Angel Beats!
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

*she

Yeah, I guess that was implied wrong. A lot of times I would have to pause my video player to read some of the things that popped up (not all the time of course) or if I zoned out for a few minutes I got lost. People who are mainly interested in stuff like Bleach which doesn't take a lot of thinking to watch wouldn't be interested in Bakemono or Nisemono.
Dont touch me I'm in despair.
May 21, 2012 5:36 PM

Oct 2011
VioLink said:
Jeddy017 said:
VioLink said:
-LovelyDandere said:
BULLDOG266 said:

Steins;Gate
Madoka Magica
Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Mirai Nikki
Shakugan no Shana
Angel Beats!
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

By fail,I meant it got poor ratings.
Let's face facts people,most of the viewers for this time frame are middle school American boys.If there's too much yapping,they'll get bored & change the channel.Just because we are experienced anime fans & want them on TV,doesn't mean that be a smart idea.
My Devianart

May 21, 2012 5:40 PM

Sep 2010
What were the ratings? I checked the AS forums and the posters say DRRR scores a .5 for the premire showing, Bleach typically scores a .6 and Kekkaishi/FMA both get .4.
So what is failure to you when the numbers support DRRR as being a good performer for the channel.

May 21, 2012 5:51 PM

Apr 2011
redray said:
lol so it's basically the same adult swim block with deadman wonderland and casshern sins on it and a 'toonami' sticker slapped on to it...

i can't believe all this hype gone to waste, if they couldnt get good shows instead of this shitfest toonami shouldn't have come back at all, but seeing as how the majority of [as] fans are apparently mentally retarded with low as fuck attention spans (durarara doing bad in the ratings while shit like bleach does well) who need action every 17 seconds and everything with some talk in it is "lulz so boring >.>" I can't see new shows like steins;gate being broadcasted unfortunately

deadman wonderland is an absouletly terrible show but it's a good choice for CN because i can see the majority of [as] fans 'relating to show' seeing as how theyre 14 year old grimdark angst douhcebags who are ''so c00l and edgy who loves blood and death" (emo shitheads)

i actually remember an [as] fan saying they saw the opening for Panty and stocking on youtube and they apparently automatically hated the show and said they wanted bleach and the rest of the [as] shows to stay as is, so you know what i dont even want my favorite anime to lay in the hands of these retarded fucks

So people who don't like what you like are idiots and retards? Well I'm glad AS/Toonami isn't trying to cater to people like you because they don't deserve anything.
May 21, 2012 5:52 PM

Jul 2008
Good news i guess , but then again who watches TV these days
May 21, 2012 5:55 PM

Apr 2007
I was hoping for shows I haven't seen yet, but ok. I'll watch Deadman (uncensored plz), no thanks @ Casshern.
May 21, 2012 6:11 PM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
Seasonreaper said:
DrGonzo7 said:
Wow. Half of the people in this thread to chill about this. Just because they aren't going to air Steins;Gate or Madoka doesn't mean they aren't opened to it.

People aren't moaning about that, they're moaning about Toonami airing Deadman, which is a complete pile of ass. Considering people are going on about Bleach fans watching this timeslot, I'll also add that I've seen 2 episodes of Bleach, and whilst I didn't like them, they were more enjoyable than the entirety of DW on pretty much every level.

You know how newcomers to anime often think that dark and edgy shows like Elfen Lied are the best thing ever? DW is like EL, if EL had autism and a lobotomy. In fact, I know a couple of complete shounenfags who spend most of their time watching Bleach, Naruto, Yu Gi Oh etc. and even they disliked Deadman.

Well first of all, saying that Deadman Wonderland is like Elfen Lied only if it suffered from autism and a lobotomy is strictly subjective . Personally, I thought Elfen lied was a complete mess, at least with DMW it had a story that was more focused. As for Bleach, I couldn't give two shits if they bring back that show because I don't care that much for shounen shows.

Mahadev_Shiki said:
Good news i guess , but then again who watches TV these days

Not a whole lot, that's for sure
May 21, 2012 6:30 PM

Jun 2010
DEADMAN WONDERLAND. HOLY - I HAVE TO RECORD THIS!!

May 21, 2012 6:35 PM

Apr 2009
I personally didn't like Deadman Wonderland & Casshern Sins. It's still hard to believe that DRRR did worse than Bleach, so I know that Baccano!(great anime by the way) would have no chance in hell of surviving on Adult Swim.

It would be nice to see Monster on it, but it seems that Monster would probably be aired on some premium channel, kinda like how Witchblade & Speed Grapher are on IFC.
May 21, 2012 6:40 PM

May 2008
It's such a shame since the people behind Toonami really want to make this block work but they just don't have the money or the right time slots. For what they've got, I think it's a good start, but not old school Toonami material at all. I'd like this little experiment to be a success, but people are pretty unhappy about it and it hasn't even aired yet! And for god's sake, get rid of Bebop and GitS! No offense to the shows or anything, but they've already served their time on AS. (That's actually kind of an understatement.)

EDIT:
Hell, if they could just show Tenshi Muyo, Yu Yu Hakusho and/or Dragon Ball Z, I think a lot of us would be more convinced to stay up and watch the Toonami we all remember. After all, it's nostalgic value they're trying to use to their advantage, correct?
NanoZeroMay 21, 2012 7:04 PM
May 21, 2012 6:49 PM

Nov 2009
Okay, I have a friend who loved Deadman Wonderland so that alone would make me think about giving it a try. I also wanted to see Casshern Sins so I'm not really complaining. Only time will tell
May 21, 2012 6:59 PM

Feb 2012
Well, I will certainly check out both shows but I totally agree with NanoZero. It is time to shelf Cowboy Beebop and Big O.
May 21, 2012 7:06 PM

Feb 2012
DW japan sells bombed, so I guess it was cheap for Funi to license it. There for it was cheap for AS to broadcast it. Plus they're aiming for the casual viewer who watches bleach, FMA, and DRRR.
May 21, 2012 7:15 PM

Jun 2010
I guess I'll be one of the only ones to say I'm looking forward to watching Deadman Wonderland. . . What? I like it for what it is. Interesting choice on Casshern Sins, but something like Darker Than Black might have been a better choice to go with though, I hope it goes well for them and maybe we'll get stuff like Tiger&Bunny there eventually.
"The R1 Anime business is a cruel and shallow financial trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
May 21, 2012 7:40 PM

Feb 2012
Maora said:
If they want profit, they shoud just have Hetalia on air and a billion of fangirls with join watching [ as ]/ toonami.

And i would be one of them, lol. Granted i can just watch the entire series on Youtube and having 5-minute episode intervals might be tough for them, it'll probably bring in more people than something that makes people slightly think.
That's the one complaint i get from people about Anime: They have to watch every episode to get everything.
Might as well just stuff Toonami with a bunch of comedies that don't have plot to keep their viewers. Panty and Stocking would have been a great choice.

But anyway, since i read the manga beforehand and didn't think the Anime was complete shit, i'm open to Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins. It's a bit late, but because it's summer i don't mind staying up late for them. Didn't even know DW was getting a dub, so this will be a (hopefully) pleasant surprise.

The Toonami producers should really take recommendations from us though. I'm glad they chose a series i haven't seen yet so i have some interest in watching the time slot, but if the series turns out to be crap it's going to be a huge bomb.

For now this is a good start. If it succeeds, we may get our wishes next time around.
VyudaliMay 21, 2012 7:43 PM
May 21, 2012 8:01 PM

Oct 2010
holy f*ck... O.o
May 21, 2012 8:04 PM

Jan 2011
Vyudali said:

The Toonami producers should really take recommendations from us though.

They are...the problem is a tight budget, not just being asses and not listening to the fans. They've stated they've heard the interest in PSG and Tiger and Bunny, and were interested in it as well. But they need money first before they can get bigger (more expensive) shows.
May 21, 2012 8:20 PM
Oct 2010
Xionic said:
Should be airing shit like Steins;Gate and other win shows. Just because Deadman Wonderland is bloody and shit doesn't mean it should have priority. Probably will appeal to people looking for something 'new and cool'.

damn hipsters
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

May 21, 2012 8:56 PM
Oct 2009
faggy complaining makes me want to see this Deadman Wonderland now. Either way it sounds at least more entertaining than that Outlaw Star anime I've been watching lately, which is meh taken to new heights of meh, and that became big.

Smile, Sweet, Sister, Sadistic, Surprise, Service, Slider
May 21, 2012 8:58 PM

Aug 2011
Madoka would actually make me watch TV every once in a while.
May 21, 2012 9:04 PM

Jul 2010
Great, now we'll see a bunch of kiddos running around yelling how awesome Deadman wonderland is. And for the record, Deadman Wonderland was shit.

I kinda expected it would be a show they'd air though. And I suppose there are worse shows they could have aired but hey.
May 21, 2012 9:36 PM

Apr 2012
So they would like to air Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt sometime down the road.

Good luck getting it past the censors.
May 21, 2012 10:33 PM

Jan 2011
_fantasticmrfox said:
So they would like to air Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt sometime down the road.

Good luck getting it past the censors.

That wouldn't be hard at all...just watch an episode of Boondocks.
May 21, 2012 10:52 PM

Oct 2009
WTF O_o.......I just had dream 2 days ago that adult swim bring back Toonami.
Ii'm going to missed watching Durarara live on tv.
I have poorly English grammar, so for give me. I still learning.
-....Loading.....
May 21, 2012 10:58 PM

Apr 2010
Deadman wonderland is a pretty enjoyable show. Loose ending, but whatever. Look forward to watching it in engrish.
May 21, 2012 11:24 PM

Jun 2010
WHOA! BLEACH!
May 21, 2012 11:58 PM

Apr 2010
I'll be watching both just to support the return of Toonami. <3
May 22, 2012 12:00 AM

Feb 2012
I'm in the UK but I hope it this does well and gets good ratings!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» North American Anime & Manga Releases for May

Aiimee - Yesterday

0 by Aiimee »»
Yesterday, 10:47 AM

» Video Game 'Tensui no Sakuna-hime' Gets TV Anime in 2024

DatRandomDude - Mar 9

17 by Synrax »»
Yesterday, 10:30 AM

» 'Senpai wa Otokonoko' Announces Additional Staff, Theme Songs

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

0 by DatRandomDude »»
Yesterday, 8:56 AM

» 'Mononoke: Karakasa' Reveals Supporting Cast, Theme Song, Trailer

DatRandomDude - May 1

8 by DARM11 »»
Yesterday, 6:53 AM

» 'Kaijuu 8-gou' Unveils Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - May 4

2 by deg »»
Yesterday, 5:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.