Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 25, 2012 1:27 AM

Jan 2010
So I really really liked this movie and decided to check out the TV series since I liked it so much and I don't see the fuss with any sort of removed content so far. The stuff I've seen in the show that wasn't in the movie has never been anything particularly important, just random battles or interactions between the characters that aren't really necessary and just push already established ideas in the viewer's head more. The movie has told the exact same story but more efficiently.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Jul 2, 2012 7:57 PM

Feb 2010
Felt too much like a summary. I enjoyed the production, the CGI wasn't as bad as it was made out to be. The characters had no time to develop because they had to hit all the main points of the series. Should have covered the same events in a 2 hour timeframe.
Jul 3, 2012 6:09 AM
Apr 2008
What a steaming pile of shit, I went in with low expectations and it still managed to dissapoint me. Almost Zero character development, every character besides Griffith sounded like shit, the cg was god awfull and the pacing was horrendous.

It's amazing how much stuff they managed to miss making this mess, the Anime missed a few things two, but at least it was good. The 90's art of the series looks 100x better then the shit that's in the movie.

Terrible. I was actually pretty bored half way through, and that's as someone who was a huge fan back in the day. :(
Jul 5, 2012 10:59 AM

Jul 2009
Bluey said:
What a steaming pile of shit, I went in with low expectations and it still managed to dissapoint me. Almost Zero character development, every character besides Griffith sounded like shit, the cg was god awfull and the pacing was horrendous.

It's amazing how much stuff they managed to miss making this mess, the Anime missed a few things two, but at least it was good. The 90's art of the series looks 100x better then the shit that's in the movie.

Terrible. I was actually pretty bored half way through, and that's as someone who was a huge fan back in the day. :(

If they just had 30 more minutes, it could have been great.

What's the rush to get the first 3 movies out anyway? I presume they've done it purposefully to get onto the post-Golden Age stuff, but it really shouldn't have been rushed.

The first movie should have covered volume 1-3, with a longer development time. Everybody would be happy, I reckon. Or, these should have been released as OVA's.
Jul 15, 2012 12:01 PM

Jul 2010
Well I wasn't crazy about the cgi, but the movie as a whole was good just not great. The animation parts looked really good, but I prefer the grittiness of the original anime. The only anime where I thought they did the cgi really well would be Black Rock Shooter, but they maybe to context. Anyway I looked forward to the other parts.
Jul 26, 2012 12:20 PM

Jan 2010
not bad movie...
but they cut a lot of :(
Jul 27, 2012 11:36 PM

Jul 2012
It's still Berserk, even though I don't really appreciate the new look.
Should be at least 30 minutes longer, it was way too short, lots of stuff was cut, a shame.
Can't wait to see the rest, maybe there will be some improvements.
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Aug 4, 2012 2:50 AM

Aug 2009
The cgi was bad... the cgi was really really bad. Like I heard it was bad... but I didn't think it was this bad. Like to be completely honest the cg in the 90's video game was better at some parts than the cg in this anime thats made in 2010+.

Dear studio 4°C,

Please stop using cg in the Berserk movies.

Sincerely, the majority of Berserk fans.

but, seriously everything else was great, they rushed the story a bit, but I think the hit most of the important plot points. The regular animated scenes looked really great, especially the stuff in the castle and the fight scenes. Srsly that cg needs to stop though, or at least tone it down or something.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aug 11, 2012 2:18 AM
Jul 2007
I'm usually o.k. with CGI, but this was a horrendous job. Why they had to make it look like a ps2 cel-shaded game is retarded if you ask me. And it's especially bad because it is not smooth in certain scenes. In contrast, some of the other scenes had phenomenal animation. It's been a while since I read that part of the manga or saw the anime, so I didn't notice any huge deleted scenes. I think they should have made the movie longer though... and not use CG in some parts. I'm happy that they're going all out on the nudity and gore factor though.
eraltergAug 11, 2012 2:21 AM
Aug 21, 2012 4:11 PM
Nov 2010
Good movie. Waiting for the next one.
Sep 18, 2012 5:34 AM

Jul 2009
Re-watching, I noticed the hickup with the 3D animation was due to not using motion capture. The scene where Guts is paid for his contribution just after the opening credits clearly uses motion capture. The scene where Griffith walks down the hill to talk to Guts just after Casca tells him off is clearly not motion captured.

So the CG wasn't the problem. The animation itself was the problem. Motion capped 3D scenes looked great, anything that wasn't motion capped looked stiff and/or unnatural.
Sep 21, 2012 8:09 AM

Nov 2008
This movie was great! The CG was fine, and the animation in general was quite pleasing, in my opinion. Opinions across the board gave the impression that it wasn't up to par; luckily and thankfully they were wrong.

Can't wait for the next movie!
Oct 28, 2012 7:35 PM

Oct 2011
Just watched it today (dubbed) & it was pretty good :D.
In fact,the only thing keeping it from being a 10 is the story.As someone who reads the manga,I have noticed some scenes were skipped & made the movie feel.....incomplete (which is obviously something some one should feel since it's the 1st in a trilogy).

The art is spectacular & the animation is great.And about the CGI,I don't see anything wrong.Sure,it's not the best CGI ever but it's at least well above average & get the job done (and I'm a gamer.I have experience with CGI).Compared to the CGI of the anime,Kingdom which took a while to get use to,the CGI in this is better by comparison.

And since I've seen it dubbed as well,the dub is one of the best I've seen ever (1st Tiger & Bunny & now this,damn Viz).
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Nov 4, 2012 1:58 AM

Apr 2011
Fucking epic, too short though. But the pros are much more than the cons 9/10

The only thing though, in the intro

Edit: Nevermind, found the answer for myself:
"in September 2010, a wraparound jacket band on volume 35 of the Berserk manga announced a new anime project, which was later revealed to be a series of films intended to adapt the entire manga series..."
sagdashinNov 4, 2012 2:09 AM
Nov 30, 2012 9:04 PM
Oct 2007
Griffith makes the Twilight vampires look straight.
Dec 17, 2012 7:10 PM

Feb 2012
I really enjoyed the movie, but yeah I agree with other people here, they could've made it a little longer, and include more manga scenes, but Miura-sensei was there with them all the time, so if he said it's enough, then it must be enough. As for CGI, I didn't really bothered with it, saw some parts of it, and it looked ok in my opinion.

Then again, this movie was just an intro, the good things are coming up in the 2nd and 3rd one (especially 3rd one).
Dec 22, 2012 8:12 AM

Mar 2010
Bought the dvd and just finished watching it.. It was awesome.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 13, 2013 10:33 PM

May 2012
Got it in blu ray. Awesome movie. It's really for the fans though. If you haven't watched the series and tried to jump in with this, you'd be lost lol. The CGI you guys keep complaining about really didn't bother me. It was different, yeah but it wasn't necessarily bad.

I just wish Griffith's stare was more menacing. It startled the shit out of me when I first saw it in the series. Also, why did they change Casca's skin tone so much? Other than that though, I just wish it was longer. Some cool scenes got shortened or removed and some of the supporting characters didn't get enough development.

90-120 minutes would've been perfect.
May 1, 2013 6:25 AM

Mar 2010
and i thought that i've seen bad CGI before? pff
Do pop-up headlights really endanger pedestrians that much?
May 1, 2013 6:44 AM

Mar 2010
i have a funny feeling, that all people who said that CGI was good, didn't played games since like 1994.
Do pop-up headlights really endanger pedestrians that much?
May 2, 2013 9:51 AM

Jun 2012
wait, did they even show gambino here? i didn't watched it, just skimmed through it for a friend, seems they missed of huge chunks...
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
May 19, 2013 2:06 AM
Dec 2012
everyone sounded so pussy-whipped. judeau's voice irritated me to the point where i couldn't watch any further. the little shit who voiced him should gtfo

gonna check out the english dub later. if it's half as good as the original english dub, i'll be satisfied
This community is terrible.
Jul 3, 2013 7:20 PM

Nov 2011
Bazuso huh? Sounds kinda weird for a warrior. I knew he didn't stand a chance against Guts though. Griffith on the other hand....

The violence was more than I thought but then again, I expected it from Berserk. The animation is pretty good though just as I had expected.

>Have no fear.
Go Griffith!

Well, if anything, I smell a conspiracy going on with that ending there. Final scene:

7/10 for this film. I'll look forward to the next one!
Aug 6, 2013 6:49 AM

Mar 2013
The assassination scene was done so much better, it clearly showed that guts didnt know what he was doing... And this animation is just perfect !
Aug 6, 2013 6:51 AM

Mar 2013
Also he carried a normal sword and not a huge-ass one.
Sep 12, 2013 11:54 AM

Jan 2013
The animation was different but not horrible though it looked shifty at times. It portrayed the arc pretty damn nice.
Sep 14, 2013 5:32 PM

Apr 2012
I couldn't make it past the first episode of the series but I really enjoyed this. A lot of that's probably because the sword doesn't look so ridiculous.
Sep 22, 2013 5:48 PM

Feb 2013
It was just average for me (5/10). It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either.

The CG animation was so bad at times, it was distracting.
Oct 27, 2013 5:02 AM
Aug 2011
I somehow didn't like the animation in the beginning, it seemed off and wasn't really in sync with the voices but I got used to it.

Story 9/10, it was nicely done and didn't feel rushed.
Sounds 9/10
Animation 8/10
Enjoyment 9.5/10.

9/10.
Nov 10, 2013 1:11 AM

Jan 2012
not a fan of CGI at all... it was tolerable though

good refresher of a masterpiece nonetheless...

Will rate all 3 as a whole..
Jan 7, 2014 4:31 PM

Jul 2013
Haven't seen the series and picked 'Berserk' up straight from this film. I found it really enjoyable and I hope that the other movies are able to deliver just as well.
Hi.
Jan 15, 2014 8:42 PM

Sep 2009
Definitely a movie for the fans.
The animation style wasn't your typical kawai no desu japanimation....but that's never a bad thing ever.

The near entirety of the English cast returning was a really nice touch too.
Apr 6, 2014 2:16 AM

May 2010
Emperor_Palputin said:
and i thought that i've seen bad CGI before? pff

i always bitch about too much CGI in anime but i have seen far worse (kingdom). thank god its not all CGI.
Apr 16, 2014 9:24 AM

Oct 2013
Pretty good,except for the CGI :/
SaskeeApr 16, 2014 9:27 AM

May 10, 2014 12:48 AM

Jul 2008
Pretty good summary of this part of the story, they kinda skipped over Guts' childhood and fitting into the Hawks, but overall it was fine.

They toned down the blood and gore which was kinda understandable but how much are they going to edit with the endgame? CGI was also a bit jarring but I got used to it, but it could see some improvement.

6/10
Jun 16, 2014 11:06 AM

Apr 2013
lol I don't understand you people who complain about the CGI when the original adaptation wasn't even 'animated' at all, seriously.

I actually liked that they skipped out so much from the manga, those parts were bad - good choice from the director.

Though it still is Berserk, meaning that the actually story is no more than average. You get your poor characters & this & that & yada yada ....
Jul 29, 2014 11:44 PM

Jul 2014
It was good, but I didn't like the use of CGI.
Aug 1, 2014 11:59 AM

Apr 2014
I've really enjoyed it but I have no idea how good it would have been without reading the source material.

Also, the CGI and low frame rate of the animation annoyed me but it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be.
your waifu is shit
Aug 21, 2014 10:25 AM

Jun 2011
It was a really awesome movie but what i really want to know if it is story related to the anime or is it a remake because i haven`t seen the anime..
Dec 21, 2014 6:27 AM

Oct 2014
Love the Manga and the original series, so I was super excited to hear they were releasing these films, but only to be as equally disappointed with the quality they put out...ugh
May 9, 2015 11:46 AM
Jul 2018
I watched this English dubbed, and I was pleasantly surprised that they got the same voice actors from the TV series back :D
This movie was much better than I thought it would be, I always heard a lot of negative things surrounding it, in particular the CGI. I admit that in a few spots, the CGI did look a bit odd, but for the most part, the movie looked beautiful. Not only was the art for the most part beautiful, but the OST was also really pretty.

NyaaChan said:
Guts killing Adonis was pretty touching, they made the scene even more tragic

I agree, I very much liked how they handled that scene. In the TV series, Guts didn't seem nearly as traumatized by it. Also, Guts didn't even know that it was Adonis who opened the door in this movie, so when he stabbed him he was even more shocked.

My only major complaint, like others, is that the movie is a bit short and they cut out a few things. They barely even touched on Guts' childhood...

8/10 for me :)

lesterstatus said:
It was a really awesome movie but what i really want to know if it is story related to the anime or is it a remake because i haven`t seen the anime..

It's a remake of the Golden Age arc, which is what is covered in the anime. So yes, basically it is a remake of the anime TV series.
removed-userMay 9, 2015 11:51 AM
May 24, 2015 10:27 AM

Jan 2010
When I saw Puck and other characters after the time skip in the opening sequence, that threw me off. I wasn't sure what to expect at first since I thought these movies only covered what the television series covered. Actually, there was nothing from after the time skip, even though the anime had some of that in the first and last episodes. Anyways, holy crap that scale. It's no Lord of the Rings, but there's the feel of a large-scale war in this film. Just as violent as ever too. I must say though, with the amount of stuff the film is cutting out, I honestly can't remember much of what is missing, and I had just watched the television series last month, so this is an odd experience for me.

Beyond that, I'm enjoying it so far. There aren't really any changes as far as the story goes, but scenes are rewritten and are better for it. One that stuck out was the flashback sequence after Griffith beats Guts at the beginning. The erratic still shots coupled with Guts' vision going in and out was fantastic. Even better is how the dialogue is jumbled and intelligible. It really gives a sense of disorientation and dementia. Great stuff.
Jun 22, 2015 3:39 PM

Sep 2014
Griffith's evil grin when he heard Julious was assasinated wasn't even 50 % cool as the manga one, c'mon..
Jul 16, 2015 12:13 AM

Nov 2014
I liked it, CGI was shit, but pacing was good.

Dec 22, 2015 1:28 PM

Jan 2015
This is where Guts joined The Band Of Hawks. I remember reading the chapters :D

Caska and Guts moments ♥ daww Brings me back...

Fighting Zodd :D
Feb 4, 2016 5:22 PM
Nov 2013
If you watched the original series and liked it, this is also a must watch! But this is NOT a replacement for the original. Please watch that one first.

I got into berserk for the first time last year and decided to watch the movies recently, in the first 2 minutes the animation seemed awkward and the pacing bothered me... HOWEVER it seems like the series is not meant as a replacement for the original anime but rather an addition as the battle scenes were amazingly realistic and really managed to pull me in but it had basically no character development. So again, if you watched the original series first this is a great way to re-watch scince you've already been trough the character development.

Note: I said the animation seemed awkward but this is because it uses both 2D and 3D and they overdid it at times. I personally dislike 3D in anime but the battle scenes where so realistic and fast that it did improve. I wonder if they could have done that with 2D only.

The movies also added little pieces of information that the anime left out which I probably only noticed because I haven't read the manga yet.
Feb 4, 2016 5:30 PM
Nov 2013
Shocked said:
When I saw Puck and other characters after the time skip in the opening sequence, that threw me off. I wasn't sure what to expect at first since I thought these movies only covered what the television series covered. Actually, there was nothing from after the time skip, even though the anime had some of that in the first and last episodes. Anyways, holy crap that scale. It's no Lord of the Rings, but there's the feel of a large-scale war in this film. Just as violent as ever too. I must say though, with the amount of stuff the film is cutting out, I honestly can't remember much of what is missing, and I had just watched the television series last month, so this is an odd experience for me.

Beyond that, I'm enjoying it so far. There aren't really any changes as far as the story goes, but scenes are rewritten and are better for it. One that stuck out was the flashback sequence after Griffith beats Guts at the beginning. The erratic still shots coupled with Guts' vision going in and out was fantastic. Even better is how the dialogue is jumbled and intelligible. It really gives a sense of disorientation and dementia. Great stuff.

I agree the battles were amazing and if you recently saw the original show (and therefore aren't bothered by the lack of character develepment scenes here) the scenes seem much more emotional and natural. Even Guts and Griffin talking on the stairs before the king approached seemed more natural. But I did feel I missed a lot of content.
Mar 10, 2016 2:19 AM
Aug 2011
This was extremely rushed which is expected because it's a movie but of course that means the characters suffer as a result.

Like slowly unraveling the layers of Griffith's personality which was done amazingly in the other sources.
On the other hand, Sakurai Takahiro's voice is perfect for him. If they were ever going to recast a VA then this was absolutely the best choice.
Apr 14, 2016 1:25 PM

Mar 2014
It's too bad the CGI is distracting to the point where it takes away from the 2D work, which looked fantastic I think, even though it's a bit too clean looking considering it's Berserk, but the details in the characters' faces were impressive.

I was actually ok with the CGI being used in the large scale battles, it's much easier to portray the scale of a battle using CGI, and the lack of details on each soldier is hidden by the number of moving people on the screen.

Pretty satisfied even though it was rushed. Felt like they should have just skipped the entire "Gut's childhood" dream because it was way too confusing and vague like this
May 7, 2017 8:38 AM

Feb 2015
As some who haven't watched the old version I really liked it and I can't wait to see other parts as soon as I'll have some free time.

My favorite scenes are Guts vs Griffith v2, Guts training with his sword and Casca realizing that Guts killed this nobleman and his soldiers.
Moment when Guts killed that little kid was really powerful in my opinion, a little bit shocking too.

Great starter movie.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Who else thinks this art is better than the 2016 series?

MrYandereFan26 - Apr 9

9 by Liberandum_ »»
Apr 10, 10:32 AM

» Berserk fell off after Golden Age

removed-user - Jul 27, 2021

36 by -DxP- »»
Nov 27, 2022 5:48 AM

» BERSERK MEMORIAL EDITION WILL INCLUDE NEW SCENES (BONFIRE OF DREAMS)

KatoWorks - Aug 8, 2022

23 by KatoWorks »»
Sep 21, 2022 5:08 PM

» when to watch this?

Hystique - May 22, 2021

10 by Zoldra0 »»
May 28, 2021 3:47 AM

» Do these films do the manga justice?

jimbob1141 - May 18, 2013

12 by Thorf »»
Apr 1, 2021 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.