Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 24, 2008 9:44 PM

Feb 2007
Whenever I see people use netspeak I tell myself that "it's just a troll," or in the worst case scenario a "10 year old retard." No one else should ever have an excuse to 'tyep lyke dis coz it don make no sense ROFL'

I understand the occasional short hand, especially in text messages. I am not going to completely ignore the usefulness of abbreviations like "brb" (though I myself never use it). What I do not understand is why people jam-pack what they are writing with supposed abbreviations and stupid memes. How do they expect anyone to take them seriously? If one were to take them seriously many brain cells would be lost and fath in humanity vanquished.

What ever happened to grammar? Spelling? Intelligence?

If you don't have the time to type out a coherent opinion then perhaps you just shouldn't say anything at all. Why should other people have to spend time trying to decipher your opinions which you couldn't be arsed enough to type out properly? Furthermore if all you ever do is regurgitate stupid 4chan memes you clearly have nothing important to say.

I want to know why I can hardly read the forums anymore due to it being filled with idiocy. I'm not even talking about content, I'm talking about basic grammar, spelling and composition. It takes me longer to type like the average MAL user than it does to type properly. I'm not expecting people to write beautifully, but I do expect higher standards than this.

Finally, I must ask: Does anyone here ever use netspeak in formal writing? Wouldn't 'typin lyke dis' become habbitual?

ahh--I don't know. I doubt anyone will read this.

Please, don't troll this topic. I can think of hundreds of ways to easily do it. It's not hard. I don't want to look back at this thread to see someone like TheWestExit saying "LOL, cause typin lyke dis is smrt srsly." I will have this thread locked. I am also not trying to insult anyone specific. I just want to hear about the motivations behind netspeak.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 24, 2008 10:13 PM

Jun 2008
selective_yellow said:

Please, don't troll this topic. I can think of hundreds of ways to easily do it. It's not hard. I don't want to look back at this thread to see someone like TheWestExit saying "LOL, cause typin lyke dis is smrt srsly." I will have this thread locked. I am also not trying to insult anyone specific. I just want to hear about the motivations behind netspeak.

lol wut u think that some1 will read it or not tey just wont follow it duh

ON TOPIC: Netspeek/1337/Leetspeak/Spamglish is how lazy people talk on the Internet who don't want to have to use proper grammar and use periods. It is a variety of shorthand gone wrong, pretty much. It is fine with me if somebody does it while Instant Messaging or texting but otherwise like on forums, it gets downright annoying.

I never use netspeak because it is just, for me, a lot harder to write than using the correct way... I hear that on MMORPGs people get into a habit of it and then when they join a forum it is vice-versa to what most people do, it is easier for them to write in netspeak than proper English.

Funny ad I saw while on this topic..

Sick_BastardJul 24, 2008 10:17 PM
I'm back.
Jul 24, 2008 10:32 PM

May 2008
Oh people will read it, but the frequent "netspeakers" will only hit every word in ten, or maybe just the headline, before making their response.

I like to tell myself that most people grow out of it. Of the forums I frequent, it's much more common within the ones that have an overall younger demographic (there are always exceptions to the rule). It's something that occasionally bugs me, but most of the time I just smile, shake my head, and move on to the next post.

Nathan, in regards to MMOs, I remember the golden days of Everquest where everyone would speak fully and coherently. When you wanted to join a group, people would ask politely (using sometimes up to TWO sentences to make the request!). Now, you're lucky to get two words from some stranger asking to team up. Usually it's just an "invite" or "group?!?!"

At any rate, despite what I may want, I'm won't try to tell someone how they choose to represent themselves on the internet - if you want to look like an idiot that's your choice. However keep in mind that I won't take a thing you say seriously, and there's a good chance I'll make fun of you if I'm feeling snarky.

Jul 24, 2008 10:41 PM
Jul 2018
LOL, cuz typin lyke dis is smrt srsly. lolz wut iz dis topic I dun even!

On a serious note, I agree in upholding "normal" grammar and spelling standards even when posting on message boards. The simple truth is that it's an issue of communication and bad spelling, grammar, and a low vocabulary might inhibit your ability to express your ideas.

My posts here might have the occasional grammar or spelling error, but for the most part, I spell check everything I post and double-check the meaning of some words with dictionary.com. The edit feature is your friend.

I've also expressed concern regarding why people are using 4ch material here. One guy posted in another topic that an anime had QUALITY animation. Not thinking far enough to realize that it was a 4ch meme, I assumed he was trying to compliment the animation rather than bash it.

Seriously, this place is MAL. 4ch is 4ch. Why you're referencing material from another site that the majority of users here might or might not know, visit or understand is beyond me. Why you expect people to understand what the hell you are saying and take you seriously is even more bewildering.
removed-userJul 24, 2008 10:47 PM
Jul 24, 2008 10:51 PM

Mar 2007
Interesting idea for a topic, no reason that no one would read it (already 4 comments as I am typing this).

I will normally attempt to use complete and coherent sentences, but sometimes my grammar will slip but never to the point where I talk like the above examples. I also have a habit of adding more commas than necessary as well as adding an ellipsis here and there when it really isn't needed, but I have been trying to work on both a bit. It takes me longer to type and read netspeak than it does for me to type normally, I don't see how people can see it as faster.

I don't browse these forums much anymore, not only because of the ways people type but a combination of that and the lack of interesting topics to read and post in.

I get slightly annoyed whenever I see it, but I try to ignore it especially when I am talking to friends on instant messaging clients that use netspeak. I play MMORPGs occasionally and I constantly see people typing like a complete idiot and I pity them. I really hate it when people go and type where they replace letters with numbers (eg. b4 instead of before and h8 instead of hate). Ah well, you can't stop people from talking like idiots; all you can do is ignore them.
Jul 24, 2008 11:12 PM

Oct 2007
How absolutely ironic.
You can find me on IRC.
Jul 24, 2008 11:17 PM

Feb 2007
I remember for a short period of time several years ago, I used a bit of shorthand (but not stupid alternate spellings). Then I got annoyed with it and started typing properly. I only use a few abbreviations (lol, brb, g2g, etc.). However, except for "lol," everything else I only use on instant messengers.
Jul 24, 2008 11:17 PM

Jul 2007
Zel said:
Interesting idea for a topic, no reason that no one would read it (already 4 comments as I am typing this).

I will normally attempt to use complete and coherent sentences, but sometimes my grammar will slip but never to the point where I talk like the above examples. I also have a habit of adding more commas than necessary as well as adding an ellipsis here and there when it really isn't needed, but I have been trying to work on both a bit. It takes me longer to type and read netspeak than it does for me to type normally, I don't see how people can see it as faster.

I don't browse these forums much anymore, not only because of the ways people type but a combination of that and the lack of interesting topics to read and post in.

I get slightly annoyed whenever I see it, but I try to ignore it especially when I am talking to friends on instant messaging clients that use netspeak. I play MMORPGs occasionally and I constantly see people typing like a complete idiot and I pity them. I really hate it when people go and type where they replace letters with numbers (eg. b4 instead of before and h8 instead of hate). Ah well, you can't stop people from talking like idiots; all you can do is ignore them.

i totally agree with you on this. i also have a bad habit of putting to many commas or throwing in ellipses. for a paper however, i usually double check my work and make sure everything flows nicer or is more grammatically 'correct'. there is however a danger alert for grammer nazi-ism which is equally as pointless.

on forums i feel like its a more informal way of talking though, so i don't feel pressured to make everything sound perfect on the first go round. i agree that adding in numbers and whatever just to sound like stereotypically geektarded is both frustrating and harder to read. the point here is to get your point across in a simple and easy manner. sometimes i believe that warrants a lol or rofl or what have you, but this is only because you wouldn't wanna type out something like: "yeah i totally understand what you're saying ::feels humorous about it::"

edit: in some general discussion topics, humor and catch phrasing can seem appropriate, but in a post thats trying to have a point/coherent argument/reason, netspeak and so on have no place. also, i want to reiterate zel's notion that this is one of the more interesting topics I've seen lately.
FrequencityJul 24, 2008 11:21 PM

Jul 24, 2008 11:21 PM

Jan 2008
I use a bit of "netspeak" and I don't mind too much when I see others using it. I only get annoyed when It's over used. Some people will type sentences using nothing but "netspeak" and I usually just skip their post.
Jul 24, 2008 11:25 PM

Jul 2007
I always tell such people to re-type, if they are expecting an answer from me, telling them I can't read shit. It's specially annoying in MSN when they use an icon for every fucking character.

Jul 24, 2008 11:30 PM

Jan 2008
Kotori said:
I always tell such people to re-type, if they are expecting an answer from me, telling them I can't read shit. It's specially annoying in MSN when they use an icon for every fucking character.

Haha, that's quite fuc-ed up XD
I'm lucky none of my friends are like that.
Jul 24, 2008 11:34 PM

Mar 2008
I hate netspeak with all my guts. It's not cool, it's not fast, it's just...plain complicated.

Of course, I make exceptions of the more common ones. I'd rather make an emoji rather than netspeak (somehow, it conveys feelings better).

And oh, yes, QUALITY animation is a bad animation. 4ch memes ftw. Though yes, cross-referencing to another forum would make most people go "huh?".

MAL is one of those forums where I love thanks to the coherence in sentences. Another form of netspeak I hate is the AlTerNaTinG CaPiTaL LeTters like that <_<

and, uh, does anyone here have any objections to emoji or just netspeak?
Jul 24, 2008 11:46 PM

Feb 2008
I don't mind abbreviations and such, but yeah, netspeak is annoying. 0MG U R L33T H4XX0RZ!!1

Kotori said:

Good lord. Tell your friend to stop typing like a fucking moron.
Jul 24, 2008 11:49 PM

Jul 2008
I think English is pretty much the only language that has been killed via the Internet idiots. I usually only use netspeak to mock someone else who uses it seriously. Of course, it takes me longer to figure out whether or not a word has a netspeak variation and what it is. >>
Jul 24, 2008 11:56 PM

Feb 2007
That advertisement is hilarious, Nathan-the-Axe. However, I think it's really sad that people are so dumb they need something like "whitesmoke" to correct their grammar for them. Do people honestly not know how to use basic grammar? Are we that poorly educated? I know that in the past 100 years various education systems have gone through phases of enforcing strict grammar and "freeing" their students to be able to write "creatively".

i.... don tink typin leik dis is real creative lolz....! if it creative.... i donno wat 2 say nemoar....

You need to know the rules before you can break them. I cannot speak for everyone's education experience but it seems our curriculum is split between teaching kids structure and "freeing their minds." However, I have observed that this only confuses most students. We are told to write "five paragraph essays," only. Nothing more, nothing less. However the teachers continually hint that you will get a better mark if you go beyond five paragraphs. Most students become confused because they have bigger problems. They still have trouble expressing themselves in even the most simple paragraph. Students tend to take one of two paths. They either hug all the rules and grammar taught to them or they completely ignore them and write really really long run on sentences with no punctuation and no end in sight because they are just writing out their raw emotions without really understanding that writing is an art which they are not really using and instead its just a really long dumb boring class that they do not understand because when they were little no one told them or maybe because most people are dumb though you know the people who hug grammar do no better as while you can understand them it is really dry to read and not very creative and really limiting but oh yeah back to run on sentence people see they change their points mid sentence and never really have a clear focus--okay I'm done.

I believe that the internet is only facilitating this rapid decline in reading and writing comprehension. It may start off with wanting to quickly get your message across by typing "u" instead of "you", but where does it end? You may have grown out of it but we have 10 year olds who are forming habits around typing like an idiot. It's rather depressing. Is there some sort of pressure for young people to write like this?

I understand that not everyone is an amazing writer. That’s okay. You don’t have to be great at writing to get your point across. A bit of spell check can fix many of your problems. Hell—most of you probably have a built in spell-check.

Jul 25, 2008 12:00 AM

Nov 2007
LAH-Foton said:

MAL is one of those forums where I love thanks to the coherence in sentences.

Uh...have you been around recently? D:
Many users still type coherently and properly but there's a reason this topic was made...

I'll admit I throw in a 4chan meme here and there within my typing, especially "lolwut". I also occasionally use "w/e" and "w/" but I still don't let netspeak take over my writing. Netspeak overall is careless and disrespectful, especially when others are trying to have a proper discussion. Some people think netspeak is "in" and use it often not realizing it makes them look extremely stupid. I find it amazing that many people seem unable to change the way they type even when asked multiple times by others. Thankfully on IRC there's always /ignore, but forums don't give us that kind of luxury.

Something that gets on my nerves even more than netspeak is what comes after each sentence. Streams of !?!?!???????????!?!?!!?!!?!!!??!?! annoy the hell out of me. One or two is more than sufficient or if possible, a period.

Jul 25, 2008 12:09 AM

Feb 2007
Oh! I forgot to open one last can of worms before bed.

I also despise it when people insert random Japanese words of phrases into what they are saying unnecessarily.

Whenever I open up MAL and see the recent introduction thread is titled something like:
“KONICHIWA MINNA! YOROSHIKU!”
I want to vomit.

Why. . . . .
Jul 25, 2008 12:20 AM

Nov 2007
Greeting an anime community in Japanese is the "cool" thing to do.

Too bad that's more than likely all the Japanese they know.
Jul 25, 2008 12:22 AM

Mar 2008
I think people don't think it's easier and more useful to write like this.

In my opinion the reason for this is because they think they are cool by doing so. It may sound simple but I believe that is the core problem. But I can imagine that there is another faction who think that it's funny to write this way. The latter one could actually be bigger than the first.

About 7 years ago I used to play Counter Strike (the first beta versions) on the internet and as it got more popular with little kids, you couldn't help it to get poisoned by abbreviations and different ways to write.

A good example is the word "beginner": first it was "newbie", than it became "noob", then they wrote it "n00b". But this wasn't enough! The final version was "b00n". I mean seriously how? Why?
The internet is a birthplace of it's own strange language.

Well, I always try to not use strange words, but sometimes it's still happening. Then I use abbreviations like: ppl, s.t., btw, imo

But these could still be called normal. Luckily I nearly never unconsciously use my broad knowledge of the things I learned (without wanting it) while playing online for many years.

Like mentioned above I am also using too much commas. But this is just because I am German. In German language we use many commas and the new rule in German language is basically: set them as you see fit.
That affects my English, too.
Jul 25, 2008 12:23 AM
Nov 2007
selective_yellow said:
We are told to write "five paragraph essays," only. Nothing more, nothing less. However the teachers continually hint that you will get a better mark if you go beyond five paragraphs.
i'm more of a four-paragraph-paper person. =|

But, anyway, it *is* rather creative if you think about it.
I mean "nemoar"?
Anyone would read that (neh-mor), but it takes some brain twisting to see that as "anymore."
Frankly, I think this is healthy u_u
People are getting too locked into things.

plus it's just the internet.
who cares if I don't capitalize the word "i" ?
or if i want to say ZOMGWTFBBQLAZORZ ?
or if misspell "faith" as "fath" ? *cough* lol..

the point is to get the message across.
not like I'm talking to people i'm trying to impress, like a college board or my boss.
not like I'm trying to sound smart and impress people ill never meet / want to meet.

we're talking in a community.
"L337" is just another form of slang.
annoying? sure.
but so is "yo, foo, wuz crackin homie?" or "weeaboo"
but theyve somehow gotten accepted and are now fused into our culture / whatever.

i mean, who's to say that L337 isnt going to be the new rule accepted by everyone on sad sad day?
what if tomorrow people come to a consensus that our rules as they are right now are stupid and need to be overhauled into stupidity?
it happens.

</rant>

though L337 is annoying, i find it more annoying when people try to type in correct grammar, and then the irony comes.

It depends completely on the community you're communicating with.
if its perfectly fine to speak L337 on forums that use netspeak as a vernacular.
& it's perfectly fine to speak perfect grammar with people who hate/dont get netspeak.
its just about getting the point across anyway.
Jul 25, 2008 12:26 AM

Apr 2008
It's fun to use it to confuse the uninformed noobs of the internet
Jul 25, 2008 12:32 AM

May 2006
I think all this netspeak really just stems from forum users who want to act silly or stand out from everyone else. I don't really use any internet terms other than maybe "lol" or "brb", but it seems to me that while these phrases originally came about as a convenient way to save time, they're now used because some people just want to act different. I suppose if everyone is grammatically correct and responds on posts without multiple lines of "!!!?!?!!?!", their posts don't stand out quite so much.

And SY, same goes for the Japanese. If someone wants to post a thread in actual Japanese (with correct grammar and spelling), that's fine in my opinion. I'll be happy to practice some Japanese with someone who actual knows the language. But I believe they use random, incorrectly spelled words in a language they obviously are not fluent in just to garnish attention. The fact is, these posters know that we like Japanese things, so by using Japanese words they're just trying to fit in. After all, it's not like anyone here mixes in the occasional Russian word in their forum posts.

I really just hope they don't act like this when offline as well. Oh well, we can't be too harsh on them, most of them are young and inexperienced in the ways of mature conversations. ^^;

Jul 25, 2008 12:45 AM
Apr 2008
Personally, I can tolerate anything that's in proper grammar and has close to correct spelling... and things like "lol", "wtf", you know, IM/texting things. Anything in "leet speak" pretty much pisses me off. I mean seriously, why does the internet have to degrade the minds of people so much as to type like that. I mean, who had the first idea to start it? It's just idiotic in my opinion.
Jul 25, 2008 12:49 AM

May 2008
selective_yellow said:
However, I think it's really sad that people are so dumb they need something like "whitesmoke" to correct their grammar for them. Do people honestly not know how to use basic grammar? Are we that poorly educated? I know that in the past 100 years various education systems have gone through phases of enforcing strict grammar and "freeing" their students to be able to write "creatively".

You're touching on something that I agree with for the most part. Schools have gone downhill in enforcing structure and teaching the fundamentals, but sadly it wasn't at the expense of additional creativity. They use that to excuse poorly written but well-intentioned papers, preferring to grade on the writers effort rather than their performance.

I tend to place some blame on the parents, where it all starts. This latest generation (and I'm generalizing) doesn't spend as much time with their children reading and writing together, as past ones have. Instead, bedtime stories have been replaced by video games and television. American's read fewer books as adults now than they ever have, and this habit is getting passed right along to their children.

If schools and parents did a more thorough job of enforcing structure, it wouldn't be "easier" for people now to use shorthand and netspeak. Like you said, Selective_Yellow, it's harder for you to intentionally type in netspeak, than it is to type clearly. That's exactly how it should be - the ability to write coherently should be the natural way of expressing yourself by the time you leave formal education.

I'm actually going to cut this post short, I'm at the dangerous point where if I keep typing, I'll be up for another hour (and it's way past my bedtime already). However, to address the issue of schools teaching creativity over form, I'd like you to watch this excellent speech by Sir Ken Robinson - he talks about how school system is designed to undermine free thinking, rather than encouraging it.

artbJul 25, 2008 12:57 AM
Jul 25, 2008 1:16 AM

Jan 2008
Well, I was just reading this, and yeah I can agree that typing like that does affect you and the way you write outside of internet on paper because you get used to the slang and start writing like that by accident. For me, yes I use the slangs too, not like
EX: L337
I hate it when people add numbers to the words just does not make sense at all, the on/off of capitals are annoying. And I just tend to make my words short, I think it all started when people started using it like...few years ago? or more...and then, I got to the point and was like, what does that word mean? And yeah, you just know more and more about it then I started using it too. It was like a shortcut to the word or something, but now, I only use it for sometimes like LOL, omg, or something soo~ not that oftenO__O, let's just say...people got used to the slang format? I know people might start picking on me for using slangs><"" since you guys in the thread are quite against it><" but it's true that after using MAL, I see people type all like grammar and sentence structure, it made me change too.
icecreeaammJul 26, 2008 12:42 AM

Jul 25, 2008 1:31 AM

Nov 2007
MysteriousMerlin said:
It's fun to use it to confuse the uninformed noobs of the internet
Is this in reference to 4chan speak or what?
Cause noobs are generally the ones who use netspeak the most.
Jul 25, 2008 1:38 AM

Apr 2007
Dr. Johnson once perceptively noted that "Language is the dress of thought."

Don't get caught out in your underwear, people.

Jul 25, 2008 2:52 AM

Jan 2008
Gotta agree with selective_yellow, but it's just the devolution of communication at work. Soon they'll hunt people who speak in ye olde English down like the wretched dogs we are.

Anyone seen Idiocracy? Scary movie.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 25, 2008 3:37 AM

Dec 2007
Kotori said:

I used Trillian for a while because of those people.

1337speak was developed by warez communities and hackers ages ago. The idea was to make it hard for authorities to find these warez or hacker forums through search engines. It started with replacing characters like A, I, O, with a numeric equivalent. Ever since, it became w4r3z, h4ckR, etc. However, 1337speak has lost it's function relatively quick as other's started using it, and soon it was widely known that people covered up their illegal activities with 1337speak. Therefore it's purpose is defeated people don't have to use it anymore, although, there's still a majority that finds it cool to talk like this.

selective_yellow said:
What ever happened to grammar? Spelling? Intelligence?

Sorry to say, but this is just moaning. There's enough people that just aren't capable of typing in a way that applies to your quality standards, and you should just ignore it, leave it for what it is. Sure it's annoying when people practically type decrypted to sound macho, but not everyone types bad on purpose.
Jul 25, 2008 4:13 AM

Jan 2008
Chavez said:
Sorry to say, but this is just moaning. There's enough people that just aren't capable of typing in a way that applies to your quality standards, and you should just ignore it, leave it for what it is. Sure it's annoying when people practically type decrypted to sound macho, but not everyone types bad on purpose.

I dont think its her quality standards as much as it is...you know...the standard of the English-speaking world. When you say 'not everyone types bad on purpose', are you suggesting people in this day and age are learning how to write in l33t before actual English and we should cut them slack because that's all they know?

We should not encourage people to write like that, its just asinine. I mean, ok, below a certain age it comes with the territory, for shits and giggles, but after 16 or something it just becomes stupid. Even if they're young we should be responsible and let them know what they're doing is actually depressing.

People who type like that in humour to each other is fine, like in spam threads or whatever, but people who actually go into a normal thread and type a reply like that are in big trouble. Their repetitive posting behaviour will cause them to become accustomed to that writing mindstate. I fear for their prospects in the future. What if one day they're at a job interview and are told to undertake a test or something. Their complete lack of coherency in their writing will be embarrasing and ensure they remain at the bottom of the food chain for the rest of their life.

That's why its not 'just moaning'. We're being responsible Chavez.

:| <--- my serious face.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 25, 2008 9:52 AM

Mar 2008
well i can agree to parts here and there, i'll elaborate inside the tags

basically what i am saying is...ppl can type how they like, everyone is different (ie age/education/writing talent/language feeling/'group') and i will read what i want.
StjeppeJul 25, 2008 10:01 AM

MAL list updates
Jul 25, 2008 10:01 AM

Jan 2008
Stjeppe, here's a scenario: I cant take anything you say seriously because you're typing like that. If you cannot be bothered to type properly, why should I be bothered to take anything you say seriously? I wont. I'll just assume you're lazy, dumb and have no opinion that is worth anything.

I'm not saying thats how I feel about you right now, because you've come into this thread to give a valid opinion, and I respect that, but I'm saying that on a regular day if I see a post reply like yours, with not enough paragraph breaks, capital letters, full stops, riddled with spelling mistakes and 'netspeak', I'll just ignore you and move onto the next post in the thread. It's not just me either, but the vast majority of people on the planet would react the same way to a badly worded reply they come across on the Net.

This isnt 'elitist' behaviour or anything, because writing normally is something that should be common sense, not a mammoth undertaking. I'm not asking for complicated words and sentences, just coherency.

I just think if you put a bit of effort into your replies, you'll get effort back from the reader. Its a give and take thing.
Jul 25, 2008 10:10 AM

Jun 2008
Cihan said:
This isnt 'elitist' behaviour or anything, because writing normally is something that should be common sense, not a mammoth undertaking. I'm not asking for complicated words and sentences, just coherency.

Oh man, I agree with you so much on this one. It is sad that in this day and time, people who use proper grammar consistently and think out what they are going to type are labeled "Grammar Nazis". It doesn't take much work to actually make a coherent post, as you stated, all it really takes is an IQ above 90 (which I am assuming most of us have), and Microsoft Spellcheck installed. I am dyslexic and I can type so that others can understand, and use proper grammar and such, why can't people who aren't impaired not do the same? It just takes a little effort, some that the majority of net-users aren't wiling to give.
I'm back.
Jul 25, 2008 10:12 AM

Mar 2008
well i suppose it means we all have our standards and we all choose how we take other people?

i can agree that you would say you wouldnt take me seriously in that scenario but isn't it overreacting to also view me as lazy, dumb and unworthy of opinion?

you're right though but i could put even more effort into what i write but i choose not to.
Why? Well this is a forum not real life, i like posting my thought on things and interacting with other internet users but if i dont live up to their standards that's something i wouldn't care about, do you know what i mean. I dont know whether other users take my opinion into account on a serious level or not, and its their right to take it as they wish

on the matter of using netspeak well i wouldn't call them idiots, they are all free to express themselves in what way they wish.
if we don't like it we could get the forum moderators on their case and then it ends.
otherwise it's all a rant or putting them down as idiots, and to what end?

(anyways, out to eat, i'll be glad to continue this later on)

MAL list updates
Jul 25, 2008 10:18 AM

Jun 2008
Well, i think it is rather impolite to use netspeak on forums. Other people are reading what you are typing, why not make it as easy as possible for them to read what you have to say? I'll give an example.

Post 1 (Netspeak):
Netspeaker said:
k does ne1 no when the next eps of naruto r goin to come out????? i want to see them but i am tired of waitin for them to come out any1 no of a site i cud use to get the eps free thanks!!!

Post 1 (Coherent):
Coherent said:
Does anybody know when the next episodes of Naruto are going to be aired? I am tired of waiting for them to come out.. Does anybody know of a website that I could use to watch or download the episodes for free? Thanks.

Which one of these do you think would get more responses and ultimately help you the most? The one that is easy to read, or the one that makes little or no sense.
I'm back.
Jul 25, 2008 10:19 AM

Jul 2007
Frequencity said:
i totally agree with you on this. i also have a bad habit of putting to many commas or throwing in ellipses. for a paper however, i usually double check my work and make sure everything flows nicer or is more grammatically 'correct'. there is however a danger alert for grammer nazi-ism which is equally as pointless.

on forums i feel like its a more informal way of talking though, so i don't feel pressured to make everything sound perfect on the first go round. i agree that adding in numbers and whatever just to sound like stereotypically geektarded is both frustrating and harder to read. the point here is to get your point across in a simple and easy manner. sometimes i believe that warrants a lol or rofl or what have you, but this is only because you wouldn't wanna type out something like: "yeah i totally understand what you're saying ::feels humorous about it::"

edit: in some general discussion topics, humor and catch phrasing can seem appropriate, but in a post thats trying to have a point/coherent argument/reason, netspeak and so on have no place. also, i want to reiterate zel's notion that this is one of the more interesting topics I've seen lately.

crowslayer91 said:
selective_yellow said:
We are told to write "five paragraph essays," only. Nothing more, nothing less. However the teachers continually hint that you will get a better mark if you go beyond five paragraphs.
i'm more of a four-paragraph-paper person. =|

But, anyway, it *is* rather creative if you think about it.
I mean "nemoar"?
Anyone would read that (neh-mor), but it takes some brain twisting to see that as "anymore."
Frankly, I think this is healthy u_u
People are getting too locked into things.

plus it's just the internet.
who cares if I don't capitalize the word "i" ?
or if i want to say ZOMGWTFBBQLAZORZ ?
or if misspell "faith" as "fath" ? *cough* lol..

the point is to get the message across.
not like I'm talking to people i'm trying to impress, like a college board or my boss.
not like I'm trying to sound smart and impress people ill never meet / want to meet.

we're talking in a community.
"L337" is just another form of slang.
annoying? sure.
but so is "yo, foo, wuz crackin homie?" or "weeaboo"
but theyve somehow gotten accepted and are now fused into our culture / whatever.

i mean, who's to say that L337 isnt going to be the new rule accepted by everyone on sad sad day?
what if tomorrow people come to a consensus that our rules as they are right now are stupid and need to be overhauled into stupidity?
it happens.

</rant>

though L337 is annoying, i find it more annoying when people try to type in correct grammar, and then the irony comes.

It depends completely on the community you're communicating with.
if its perfectly fine to speak L337 on forums that use netspeak as a vernacular.
& it's perfectly fine to speak perfect grammar with people who hate/dont get netspeak.
its just about getting the point across anyway.

Stjeppe said:
well i can agree to parts here and there, i'll elaborate inside the tags

sure that kind of language use is not usefull in daily life but it's a part of the internet and thus of fora.
of course i also find it hard to read some paragraphs i've seen so far in this topic since they totally destroys my will to read it all (of course that's my issue, just wanted to get that across) and here i am doing it myself....
i suppose once someone start elaborating on their opinion we all feel an urge to do the same so to 'give' our opinion an equal strength...

its to much of a hassle to start regulating grammar and all on this forum
my english vocabulary is basic and there are many internet slang i dont understand (ie, whats trolling?, where did that come from?) and that does limit me but i dont really care since i suppose that just means i dont have the 'will' to truly embrace being 'this' king of internet user or 'that' kind of internet user.

you see to me just at the start of this topic things are written that i dont understand so its all the same, slang, leetspeak, netspeak, whatever you call it.
there are a lot of things i dont understand on a lot of fora to which i cant react and so it is nothing to do about it
i wouldnt expect anything else given the nature of this forum (im not putting this forum down im just saying this isn't a forum where intellects gather together to discuss god knows what; its a forum where mostly anime is discussed by ranges of people
i guess some 'smart' guy comes up with a new 'funny' way to say things, some people jump on it and start using it and other don't and don't understand what they are saying.
all sorts of people are around on the internet and group together and use this word for that and this for that and so on.
everyone is thrown into the unknown on fora/internet since only few fora are 'clean' of slang
every forum is different in the people that attend it, the slang/dialect/language that is used, we all pick up pieces here and there and it influences us.

basically what i am saying is...ppl can type how they like, everyone is different (ie age/education/writing talent/language feeling/'group') and i will read what i want.

Yeah that's right, I'm gonna actually make a point. I'm just gonna be as obnoxious as those two just in a different way. I will later though, some shit about James Joyce's "Finnegans Wake".

On a more serious note; LOL, cause typin lyke dis is smrt srsly.
TheWestExitJul 25, 2008 10:28 AM

Sam is my sweet peach
Jul 25, 2008 10:21 AM

Jan 2008
Nathan-the-Axe said:
Oh man, I agree with you so much on this one. It is sad that in this day and time, people who use proper grammar consistently and think out what they are going to type are labeled "Grammar Nazis".

Hah, yeah. Moderation is the key here. Looking at the situation from another angle: Having a go at someone for having spelling mistakes all over the place, fine. Having a go at them because they made one typo? Come on, man! :D

It just takes a little effort, some that the majority of net-users aren't wiling to give.

Pretty much what it boils down to. I'm going a bit too deep with the catastrophic warnings, but honestly I do actually believe this generation is gonna grow up dumber than the previous, thanks partly to the way they're communicating in Netspeak.

Seriously, watch Idiocracy, you'll laugh and cry.

Stjeppe said:
i can agree that you would say you wouldnt take me seriously in that scenario but isn't it overreacting to also view me as lazy, dumb and unworthy of opinion?

Well it's all about appearences. If I met you for the first time and you looked like shit, I'd just assume you're a lazy slob. So transfer that to writing, and if I see really bad writing, I'll just not think much of you and move on.

Why? Well this is a forum not real life, i like posting my thought on things and interacting with other internet users but if i dont live up to their standards that's something i wouldn't care about, do you know what i mean. I dont know whether other users take my opinion into account on a serious level or not, and its their right to take it as they wish

Yeah, but this is real life. We're all communicating with each other, it's all real you know. And I keep seeing the word 'standards' thrown around this thread, as if we're trying to push an agenda on everyone. There's only one standard, you either meet it with coherent writing or you dont.

I'm not asking people to write a certain way. I'd like it if people just wrote normally.
Jul 25, 2008 10:24 AM

Nov 2007
I hate netspeak. I really do loathe it. And, a lot of us, for satirical purposes or plain irony use it to irritate or prod for a laugh.

Like me. Right now. ZQROFLMAO?!

'Sides... Using proper grammar and sentence structure leads to less misunderstandings. ^^ (I do love those emoticons, though... They're so addicting.)
Jul 25, 2008 10:25 AM

Jun 2008
www.spellcheck.net
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_key
www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/Shift_key.htm
grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/

Hope it helps!
I'm back.
Jul 25, 2008 10:25 AM

Nov 2007
Cihan said:
I'm not asking people to write a certain way. I'd like it if people just wrote normally.
Amen to that.
Jul 25, 2008 10:30 AM

Jul 2007
I haven't noticed any more than usual on the forums, at least. But maybe I haven't been paying enough attention...

And asking people to write 'normally' is pretty much telling them to write a certain way. Though I can understand the merits of proper formatting, grammar and spelling. I'd probably even say that I prefer it in almost all cases. Something irks me here, but I can't seem to put my finger on it.

PS: I'll hopefully read through this topic and give a proper response at a later time. Don't have time right now though =/
asandariJul 25, 2008 10:36 AM
Jul 25, 2008 10:39 AM

Oct 2006
Kuyukly said:
How absolutely ironic.

lol isnt it though?
Jul 25, 2008 10:41 AM

Jul 2007
10 years ago or so i was real bad. but practically everyone in my age group wrote IMs that way.

now i just find it a hassle to capitalize or use apostrophes, which is a pretty far cry from netspeak.
Jul 25, 2008 10:42 AM

Jan 2008
asandari said:
And asking people to write 'normally' is pretty much telling them to write a certain way.

Yeah, NORMALLY!!!

loka said:
now i just find it a hassle to capitalize or use apostrophes, which is a pretty far cry from netspeek.

My mind continues to boggle. Hassle? Really?
Jul 25, 2008 10:45 AM

Nov 2007
I say we demand everyone to pick up The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr. & E.B. White.
Jul 25, 2008 10:48 AM

Jan 2008
This thread is beginning to make me feel like an elitist posh high-brow bastard.

Because I write in Queen's English.

Where's my pipe? I need to puff on some Hobbiton weed to calm down.
Jul 25, 2008 10:49 AM

Feb 2008
I only ever type like that in spam, when I'm trying to act like an idiot. The thought of typing like that constantly is enough to turn my brain to mush considering I'm a bit of a grammar nazi. I frequently go back to my posts and edit them if I see any spelling mistakes.

If people think that they're smart for typing like that; they're clearly prooving that they're stupid.

Spell check FTW.
Jul 25, 2008 10:51 AM

Jan 2008
LolitaDecay said:
I only ever type like that in spam, when I'm trying to act like an idiot.

You dont have to try darling. :)

*writes his last will and buys a coffin. Sit's down*
Jul 25, 2008 10:52 AM

Oct 2006
Cihan said:
LolitaDecay said:

Rude.
Jul 25, 2008 10:53 AM

Feb 2008
Cihan said:
LolitaDecay said:

D:

I lol'd.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.