New
Sep 25, 2011 6:56 PM

Aug 2008
I hope none of you guys are like this. XD

Prosecutors: NW Side man beat, cut woman he held captive
By Andy Grimm
Tribune reporter
1:18 p.m. CDT, September 25, 2011

A Northwest Side man was ordered held without bail this morning, accused of holding captive a woman he met at an anime convention.

Sir Wilfred Camaligan, 22, faces attempted murder, kidnapping and aggravated domestic battery charges. Police and prosecutors say he battered the young woman and had her cut herself during the time she was forced to stay in his home in the 5300 block of West Lawrence Avenue.

Camaligan was found hiding in the basement of his residence Friday and was arrested, according to police. Officers went to the home after the 20-year-old woman escaped, prosecutors said.

Camaligan and the woman began a relationship after corresponding on Facebook and meeting at the anime convention, according to prosecutors. The two moved in together in July and he became possessive, beating her with crowbar and a stick, forcing her to kneel on rice and cut herself, prosecutors said. He also cut her hands and cut an "X" into her chest, the prosecutors added.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-man-accused-of-holding-woman-captive-to-appear-in-court-today-20110925,0,1103262.story

Chicago. Anime Convention. This reeks of ACEN - though, the article doesn't mention which convention.

After 20+ years of anime conventions -- this is the first story of this kind -- that I've ever heard of. Given my experience of con-going, the atmosphere is rather laid back. Everyone having fun. And plenty of drunkenness.

So, for something like this to come up... blah.
KyuuALSep 25, 2011 7:13 PM
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Sep 25, 2011 7:04 PM

Jul 2010
He's a psycho, you can find once in a while everywhere. he need to stay rest of his life in jail or he might start fire in another convention after 5 years.
Sep 25, 2011 7:05 PM

Mar 2011
dude that's fucked up, another reason as to why meeting up with someone online is a bad idea.
Courtesy of Paul
Sep 25, 2011 7:09 PM

Aug 2008
Sozora said:
dude that's fucked up, another reason as to why meeting up with someone online is a bad idea.

No, they met at an anime convention and maintained contact online. Eventually, they moved together. As the article also states, the guy happened to be one of those... "possessive types".
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Sep 25, 2011 7:09 PM

Dec 2010
An X onto her chest?

That's actually kinda badass.
Sep 25, 2011 7:22 PM

Aug 2007
KyuuAL said:
Sozora said:

No, they met at an anime convention and maintained contact online. Eventually, they moved together. As the article also states, the guy happened to be one of those... "possessive types".

The article says otherwise.
Sep 25, 2011 7:23 PM

Aug 2010
He my be a psycho but dude's got style.
Sep 25, 2011 7:24 PM

Aug 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
KyuuAL said:
Sozora said:

The article says otherwise.

Yea, didn't read that carefully enough.

So... instead... it seems... these two people... went from online-to-meetup-to-moving together... way too fast. This is why dating is best served as a long process and not rushing things. People may very well not know enough about their other person.

Sep 25, 2011 7:31 PM

Apr 2010
realy guys? almost all the posts in here are towards the guy in a posative light, while yes i understand that most of these are done jokingly this still doesnt change that the guy is a nutjob, on a side note this isnt going to help the already poor image the general public already has of this sort of thing...

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Sep 25, 2011 7:36 PM

Aug 2008
Neverarine said:
the already poor image the general public already has of this sort of thing...

Well, the anime community has always been "generally considered" to be a "weird bunch". But nothing along the lines of "psychotic".

Sep 25, 2011 7:47 PM

Mar 2011
KyuuAL said:
Neverarine said:
the already poor image the general public already has of this sort of thing...

Well, the anime community has always been "generally considered" to be a "weird bunch". But nothing along the lines of "psychotic".

everyone's weird in their own way, don't forget as a fact that NO one's perfect.
Courtesy of Paul
Sep 25, 2011 8:00 PM

Dec 2010
Great. Next year I'll probably have even MORE trust issues getting friends to meet me offline at an anime convention. Just wonderful.
Sep 25, 2011 8:11 PM

Feb 2008
not everyone out there is out lock you up and cut you open. but it never hurts to do your homework and maybe pack some heat.
Sep 25, 2011 9:46 PM
Feb 2010
Protip for girls (or anyone else who isn't six feet tall): Have your "cosplay" include a switchblade, mace, and another switchblade. Then for the hell of it strap another switchblade to your thigh.
Sep 25, 2011 9:54 PM

Dec 2010
nerb said:
Protip for girls (or anyone else who isn't six feet tall): Have your "cosplay" include a switchblade, mace, and another switchblade. Then for the hell of it strap another switchblade to your thigh.

Make it stilettos. They're less lethal and require less force. They're smaller, and easier to conceal. Most people can't hide a switch in their mouth, but you could if it was a stiletto. Oh, and they're perfect if you're into eskrima knife-fu.

Besides my preference on what I'd carry, I wish the psychotic/deranged weirdos would stop giving males such bad names. Yes I'm abit weird, odd even. Though that could be handwaved. But I don't want it to equivalent to "He wants to eat me" or "He wants to tie me up for bloodplay".
Sep 25, 2011 9:58 PM

Jun 2008
nerb said:

LOL, this isn't Japan where creepy otaku roam the streets like your average American thug...

This was just an isolated crime committed by a very sad weeaboo individual who can't grasp reality....
Sep 25, 2011 10:29 PM

May 2010
He is 22, how did he get knighted?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 25, 2011 10:34 PM

Mar 2009
Maybe he was acting out a scene from an anime.
Sep 25, 2011 10:37 PM

Jan 2011
Confucius your avatar is so appropriate for this thread. xD
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Sep 25, 2011 10:37 PM
Feb 2010
alexcampos said:
nerb said:

LOL, this isn't Japan where creepy otaku roam the streets like your average American thug...

This was just an isolated crime committed by a very sad weeaboo individual who can't grasp reality....
Nope, sorry bud. Everyone at those conventions is a rapist- on the prowl, looking for their target. Have you seen the cartoons they watch?
robfosterSep 25, 2011 10:59 PM
Sep 25, 2011 10:38 PM

Aug 2007
nerb said:
alexcampos said:
nerb said:

Nope, sorry bud. Everyone at those conventions is a rapist- on the prowl, looking for their target. Have you seen[/i[ the cartoons they watch?

Even the 11 year old Naruto fanboys.
Sep 25, 2011 10:43 PM

Feb 2009
That's... Just messed.
Sep 25, 2011 10:46 PM

Aug 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
nerb said:
alexcampos said:
nerb said:

Nope, sorry bud. Everyone at those conventions is a rapist- on the prowl, looking for their target. Have you seen[/i[ the cartoons they watch?

Even the 11 year old Naruto fanboys.

OMG, you lolicons!

Anyways, yea. In the ACEN forum, someone did note how the article itself uses the words "anime conventions". Luckily, this sort of thing is an isolated incident, which makes it unlikely for anime cons to be stereotype as a gathering of creeps.

Sep 26, 2011 2:40 AM

Sep 2010
notsureifsrs said:
An X onto her chest?

That's actually kinda badass.

of all the things u could say xD
--
"Investigators confiscated a black metal knife decorated with red spiders, a wooden stick with a black plastic case and a crowbar from Camaligan's home, according to an arrest report."
lol sounds like 1 of those Ore no Imouto fans..
Sep 26, 2011 3:48 AM

Feb 2009
Fortunately back in the real world this guy is neither special unique or any confirmation of anything.

You can meet more losers in person than online simply because people are easier to meet in person in greater numbers.

There's getting close to 7 billion humans on this planet now, getting easier and easier to find news stories about freaks is all.

He could just as easily have been a loser gamer she met online giving gamers a bad name. Or a loser role gamer, same results.

Could have been a loser football player, soccer player or baseball player but people seem to think jocks behaving like this are not losers somehow.
Could have been a musician, we all seem to think they get a free ticket to bad behaviour.
Could have been a film star, they get to do anything it seems.

The attire and general appearance though should be a red flag. It seems to be a commonality in loners just not capable of adequate social interaction skills. There was likely something 'broken' between the ears that mattered.

I wouldn't call him a creepy anime guy, I'd call him merely creepy.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Sep 26, 2011 4:17 AM

Apr 2008
Han-yuu said:
He's a psycho, you can find once in a while everywhere. he need to stay rest of his life in jail or he might start fire in another convention after 5 years.
That is pretty harsh. If he has psychological problems then they need to be treated, and sending someone to prison for the rest of their life is not going to solve that.
Sep 26, 2011 7:40 AM

Nov 2008
Just a posessive psycho and a bad relationship, move on. Happens all the time.

Sep 26, 2011 8:10 AM

Mar 2011
It's not so much as a creepy anime guy as just a creepy guy. I don't really think the fact that they met up at an anime convention has much to do with it.
Oct 17, 2011 12:00 PM

Dec 2010
That's...creepy.

This is a signature, You are a reader of this signature reading that the signature is telling you that you are a person reading the signature telling you that the person who made this signature wanted you to know that you read that this signature is being read by the person who is reading the signature telling them all about the signature being read by you
Oct 17, 2011 1:32 PM

Jul 2009
Confucius said:

First thing that came to my mind.

I guess they knight any scumbag nowadays. Probably has rich/powerful relations.
Oct 17, 2011 1:42 PM

Jun 2009
Confucius said:

Thats the first thing that caught my eye as well. STRIP HIM OF HIS KNIGHTHOOD.
Oct 17, 2011 1:44 PM

Jul 2009
To answer my own question:

Rumor has it he isn't actually knighted.

Apparently it is common (as common as can be :P) for Filipino parents to give their children odd first names like Sir, Baron, Queen, etc.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.