Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 8, 2011 11:30 PM

Jul 2010
soulelle said:

Regarding the book she got (Kaeru-kun "Tokyo wo Sukuu" - "Save/Help Tokyo" by Froggy): She tried looking for it in the Light part of the Underworld but they didn't have it. She then asked #3 to help her find that book and #3 showed her the way to the Dark part of the library... The books in that library are all written by Kaeru-kun (i.e. Froggy). Most of them are called "Save/Help somebody/something", e.g. "Save Otello", "Save the Foreign Legion", "Save the lover", "Save the family" etc. The "Devil" reads three books to Himari about her past: "Save the H trio", "Save the Takakura", "Save the TV-combo" - it's up to you to speculate about the actual meaning of those titles. I'll do it once I'll see the episode with subs and can understand for sure everything that happened in each of the flashbacks. But I'm pretty sure that the book Himari was looking for and eventually found was the "spell" to get back to Tokyo. One might also consider it a pun on KAERU, which can also be translated as "return, go back" rather than "frog"

you have a interesting consideration.
but that "かえるくん東京を救う (Kaeru-kun Tokyo wo Sukuu / Super-Frog Saves Tokyo") is a title of a existent short story by Murakami Haruki.
it is included in a collection of short stories "神の子供たちは皆踊る(Kami noKodomotach ha Mina Odoru / "After the quake ")

this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_the_quake
Sep 8, 2011 11:56 PM

Feb 2010
why does penguin nº 3 is already numbered in the first episode...

in fact i also found strange that it was numbered right after kanba said about numbering the penguins , i thought like "did he call himari for that?"
Sep 9, 2011 12:05 AM

Oct 2010
Ok here is the first shot. The Seven Social Sins translated in the spoiler
based on that here is my take:

Going in order from top to bottom:
1. Sloth
2. Gluttony
3. Not sure
4. Greed
5. Cruelty
6. Tyranny
7. False belief
So what do you think?
zimno said:
Here are the key passages:
The stories were written in response to Japan's 1995 Kobe earthquake, and each story is affected peripherally by the disaster. Along with Underground, a collection of interviews and essays about the 1995 Tokyo gas attacks, and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, a complex exploration of Japan's modern history, after the quake represents part of an effort on the part of Murakami to adopt a more purposeful exploration of the Japanese national conscience.

All of the stories are set in February 1995, the month between the Kobe earthquake and the Tokyo gas attacks.
Yumekichi11Sep 9, 2011 12:10 AM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Sep 9, 2011 12:20 AM

Aug 2009
A most fabulous episode again. And after the cliffhanger last week, Ikuhara's such a troll xD The backstory was handled very well, it answered some questions but raised even more. Anyway, I'm glad it was a non Ringo-centric episode cuz I was getting slightly fed up with her antics.
How very fitting that the book Himari was looking for was named 'Super-Frog Saves Tokyo' (I suggest reading it, it's quite short). Firstly, because this Murakami's story is an example of magical realism, much like this anime itself. Secondly, because the story was published as a part of the collection called 'after the quake' - in it all the stores are set in 1995, between the Kobe earthquake and the Tokyo sarin gas attacks (yeah, me bringing this up again, but I don't believe in mere coincidences).
Music was great, now I'm eager to get the OST!
Oh, so much could be said and speculated about this episode, but my mind is currently blown, so I shall stop here.

Mundane said:
I'm getting such massive Utena vibes from this, which is great. I'm glad Ikuhara hasn't lost his touch after so long.

Definitely! And even the bride thing again xD

Yumekichi11 said:

1. Sloth
2. Gluttony
3. Not sure
4. Greed
5. Cruelty
6. Tyranny
7. False belief
So what do you think?

Nice! Btw The Seven Social Sins listed on the library entrance really exist, they were proclaimed by Mahatma Ghandi.
metamorphiusSep 9, 2011 12:29 AM
Sep 9, 2011 12:28 AM

Oct 2010
metamorphius said:
Mundane said:
I'm getting such massive Utena vibes from this, which is great. I'm glad Ikuhara hasn't lost his touch after so long.

Definitely! And even the bride thing again xD

Yumekichi11 said:

1. Sloth
2. Gluttony
3. Not sure
4. Greed
5. Cruelty
6. Tyranny
7. False belief
So what do you think?

Nice! Btw The Seven Social Sins listed on the library entrance really exist, they were proclaimed by Mahatma Ghandi.
That is what makes it even more interesting. Its implication may mean taht the library was indeed in heavens. Also the portal to hell existed there because it refers back to the Christian principle of "Fallen Angel" where hell is the Angel's fall down should they betray God. Thus the Abyss pit. Finding stuff may be easier but at a price perhaps it is easier to work harder at it then being spoon fed of finding it. Anyway interesting stuff.

Sep 9, 2011 12:35 AM

Jun 2009
Hmm, so this episode started at 7:10 of episode 1, except from Himari's perspective instead of Shouma's. Not much change except for a bright flash of light and this:
instead of this:

Also, for 9:02 for episode 1 and 2:39 for episode 9, try syncing up the "what color ribbon would you like?" "Let's see... Pink, please." dialogue and watch the scenes from both episodes at the same time. Himari begins her second descent after they administer epinephrine and the doors open as she's flat-lining. Not sure if that was intentional but it's pretty cool regardless.

And then these books:
The Stephen King one is obvious (and kind of funny considering last episode), but does anyone know what the first two are references of?

May 2010
I'm still in fits over the pink-haired beauty turning out to be a GUY.

I liked finding out where the girls in corsets were from. So are they supposed to be the same girls that show up on the train monitors?

Most of you guys are able to read much more into it than I can >_>

DrHouse said:
Hmm, so this episode started at 7:10 of episode 1, except from Himari's perspective instead of Shouma's. Not much change except for a bright flash of light and this:
instead of this:

Good catch!

Jun 2008
When I first saw the elevator part, I was reminded of Inception XD

Pretty interesting episode. I like how the two mascot girls on the subway are not just random mascots, but actually connected to Himari (it explains the ending scene too).
Sep 9, 2011 12:37 AM

Jan 2011
Not coming from a belief system that recognizes sin, I still think Ghandi had the right idea as to what plagues societies in the modern (and post-modern) world. That inscription was one of the highlights of the episode. Finding out the origins of the subway girls was another.

Overall, just....wow......totally unexpected and adding an even deeper level of meaning below the main story. Can't wait for the next episode....
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 9, 2011 12:37 AM

Jan 2011
So we have to wait a little longfer to see what has become of Sho. This was certainly an interesting revelation.
Sep 9, 2011 12:39 AM

Aug 2009
A random flashback episode when last episode ended with an accident was disappointing. Weird episode too. Pick hair dude is a pedo and Himari just happens to have her books when she was at the zoo. Also the penguin she had already had a number on the back.
Sep 9, 2011 12:52 AM

Aug 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
That is what makes it even more interesting. Its implication may mean taht the library was indeed in heavens.Also the portal to hell existed there because it refers back to the Christian principle of "Fallen Angel" where hell is the Angel's fall down should they betray God. Thus the Abyss pit. Finding stuff may be easier but at a price perhaps it is easier to work harder at it then being spoon fed of finding it. Anyway interesting stuff.

Yeah, it's definitely interesting. I think it's safe to assume that the hidden library is at least not of this world.

EDIT: On another site, a person noted how the interior of the library is inspired by the concept for the Stockholm Public Library dubbed 'Wall of Knowledge'.

For some reason, all this is kinda reminding me of Jorge Luis Borges' stories.

DrHouse said:

And then these books:
The Stephen King one is obvious (and kind of funny considering last episode), but does anyone know what the first two are references of?

I believe the first book 'Sputnik Weirdo' may be reference to 'Sputnik Sweetheart' - another work by Haruki Murakami, but I0m not sure about the second one.
metamorphiusSep 9, 2011 2:42 AM
Sep 9, 2011 12:53 AM

Jul 2010
DrHouse said:

And then these books:

first one is references of this: スプートニクの恋人(Sputnik Sweetheart) by Murakami Haruki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_Sweetheart
second one is : 年収10倍アップ勉強法 (amazon link) by Katsuma Kazuyo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazuyo_Katsuma

btw, i hate Katsuma Kazuyo
Sep 9, 2011 1:03 AM
Sep 2009
I totally loved this episode! So many Utena references. The Return of Akio and now Himari is Penguin no Hanayome. My mind is blown with christian references. Damn Ikuhara, big troll 'cause let poor Shouma in another episode and 'cause he doesn't lose his touch.
Sep 9, 2011 1:07 AM

May 2009
Sanetoshi is absolutely delicious. His hair is so pretty, I just want to touch it!

Interesting episode. It was nice to finally get some background on Himari.
The visuals on this episode were great!
Sep 9, 2011 2:03 AM

Feb 2009
This episode was so beautifully crafted. Definitely my favorite thus far.
Sep 9, 2011 2:26 AM

Feb 2011
did someone noticed the game-door between the library and the hole-library? with that shape the last number to be moved is the 4, and in japanese culture if i remember right they use 444 instead of 666
also with that last 4 rule, one has to complete it backward in number count
wonder what is the final picture once it has been completed, part of it near the handle looked like the face of a penguin (one eye and a peck)

penguins really are everywhere, pingsonic xD

mmm, after this episode it has come to my mind ringo's diary may be the record of her sister from the hole-library :/
ZeandoSep 9, 2011 3:01 AM

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Sep 9, 2011 3:33 AM

Aug 2010
wow that was a brilliant break from the main story to show what happened to Himari and i swear i thought that guy is breaking the bishonen line >_>; pink hair is too random lulz
so this "devil" supposedly tempted Himari by using her memories but she prevailed :D
pinguforce to pingoup.inc and the reversal of that conveyor belt to the library and its reverse side were brilliant o_O
maybe im the only one but himari's "soul mate" looked like sho to me ._. maybe its the hair >_>;

oh yea and looks like genderbender idea is out the window now lawl
Sep 9, 2011 4:06 AM

Oct 2010
I got some more points but TBH there is way too much vagueness to be sure of anything as the interpretations to follow other than taking them into consideration. I do admit some of mines did come true in some anime series.
  • The Barefoot Gon thing in the spoiler
    is in fact a reference to this book from wiki. It’s about the A-bomb. Another tragic event.

• Despite loving Himari’s lovely mother, the falling mirror segment and Himari’s mother in the spoiler
    being all injured may refer among the 7 sins, one of the wrath! Simply because Himari got angry and in its spur knocked the mirror, which ensued her mother being hurt. There is more to it, knowing this Sanetoshi most likely used this to invoke negative emotions upon Himari among the other ways he used. The segment was quite touching.

• An interesting symbol in the spoiler
    not too familiar with its origin or meaning other than being some directional medium. Regardless I am curious about it.

• In regards to the door number, did you think about why the white doves flew away suddenly in the spoiler?
    That’s because it means a bad omen and it also has a symbol that something evil/bad has been opened. Hence the underworld.

• I am a little baffled as to how did Sanetoshi suddenly pull out that hat in the spoiler
    it is totally eluding that it would be remotely even possible itself.

• According to the following spoiler
    there are indeed 2 factions and the ones from Natsume are very aggressive with their weaponry. While the other group may be one to help out society. Thing is that there should be not be a possibility that both factions may attack each other. There may also be a chicken/crow factions. Tabuki has a crow around him in the OP.

• The apple segment with the 2 shadow figures in the spoiler
    may be the incest reference from the beginning. The soul mate may be Kanba but those are speculations. Being a forbidden fruit and fate being included it would not be foolish to think of incest being that taboo of fate being shared.

• The child broiler in the spoiler
    is a obvious reference to this wiki reference among others. Simply because who else would you prepare kids to be served as meat for? Oh noes the Devil/Satan himself! Of course that implies human sacrifice notion.
Will leave it at that for point noticing.

Sep 9, 2011 4:26 AM

Feb 2011
^the 2 kids with the apple are in the child broiler's room
that child broiler may simply be the place where souls wait before to be born in a body (random guess)
ZeandoSep 9, 2011 4:55 AM

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Sep 9, 2011 4:46 AM

Aug 2010
Kind of took a break from the story but this episode was really good and important.
Sep 9, 2011 4:52 AM
Sep 2010
Great episode... through I'm not sure why Himari had to quit school.
Sep 9, 2011 5:23 AM

Jun 2008
DrHouse said:

And then these books:

i believe the first one Sputnik is a parody of "Sputnik sweetheart" by Haruki Murakami. Its a lesbian story, btw.

1idd0kun said:
aelove said:

and that boy is so kanba.

I seriously doubt it. For instance the VA is different. But even putting that aside, Kanba would never say something like "let's share the fruit of fate". After all, one of Kanba's main character motives is being set against fate. If I have to guess I said the boy from Himari's memories is the same boy who appears at the beginning of the episode wearing another penguin hat. That seems to fit better IMO.

agreed. The important person to Himari is the "penguin" boy. and the best of it are the hints that the librarian guy gave her telling her she is the bride of Destiny. Now, she has a penguin hat, the little blonde boy had a penguin hat too but his penguin hat has a crown which suggests that he might be the King of penguins "Destiny" ? Ikuhara also directed SailorMoon, so this has a great chance of being true XD
The apple has a symbolism...love, temptation, connection. In this case, fruit of destiny, so it means, Himari is that kid´s bride since her childhood, and probably the reason why she remains alive and got the hat.

Ah, poor Kanba, he has an unrequited love.

And Shouuuuuuuuuuuuu, i so wanna see him T_T
OrulyonSep 9, 2011 5:27 AM

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Sep 9, 2011 5:49 AM

Apr 2010
Skipped through this episode. Hoping next weeks is worth watching. Last weeks was a 4/5 this one is a 1/5.
Sep 9, 2011 5:57 AM

Mar 2008
Yumekichi11 said:

OMG! Thanks for that pic with the mirror! I totally missed it!!! It perfectly depicts the branching of the Tokyo Metro's Red Line! Just in case nobody have noticed this before:
- Most of the subway transportation in Mawaru is performed on the Tokyo Metro's red line named Marinouchi Line. It's always shortened to just M on the Tokyo subway map
- Marinouchi Line is exactly the line where the Sarin accident took place in 1995
- 95 is one of the primary signs of the entire show, just check the anime's logo.
- Red Line can also be understood as the Red String of Fate/Red Thread of Destiny (check the ED, it's there connected to Himari)
- In Mawaru, Tokyo Metro is transformed into Tokyo Sky Metro, and symbolizes in many aspects the entrance to the Underworld, the realm of death, the world of the afterlife.

Yumekichi11 said:

another thanks for the screenshot. I was wondering if the TL's would at least add the readings to the kana, but apparently the didn't. Anyways, this is clearly a pointer to different sections of the library, similar to alphabet sections A-D, E-H, X-Z etc. In Japanese they have the kana though - a syllable alphabet. So each section represents the consonant, which the syllable starts with: a, ka, sa, ta, na, ha, ma, ya, ra, wa, n. E.g. in mobile phones, keys are enumrated this way for typing, e.g. you press "2", thus choosing syllables with the K consonant, further presses would scroll you through the vowel variations - KA KI KU KE KO.
Whatever, the keypoint here is, I believe, how SA TA NA is separated from the rest. A, KA, and N are not grouped at all. HA MA YA RA WA are small and don't have the 行 kanji, meaning going/journey/trip/way

Yumekichi11 said:

Yumekichi11 said:

In Mawaru, there's a contrast between birds/light/sun/heavens/air/male - YANG - and fishes/dark/moon/hell/water/female - YIN. It's been there since the very first episode and is crucial to undestanding characters. Tabuki is clearly always depicted with birds, while Ringo with all her sinful depression is clearly attached to water (lol, remember how #2 catched a fish while Shouma made a CPR to Ringo in episode 4).
It's funny how penguins, though birds, can't fly but can swim perfectly and thus can be considered the beings of both, the upper and the lower worlds. I think they're somewhat like angels and daemons. PinGroup.inc being angels while PingForce beng daemons. I'm pretty sure that #1, #2, and #3 are guardian angels.
So yeah, the white doves flying away was to highlight that the YANG territory ended there and the gates to hell were about to open.

Yumekichi11 said:

In fact, I'm quite curious if this has something to do with Ringo and her sister as well, but let's see. I need to gather some of my ideas regarding Ringo first.
I've also been wondering so much what did that blue fan in Takakura's home refer to... I'm afraid that judging by the pic, we now have the hell of an answer... There's only one fan though, not two of them... In fact, Takakura are clearly the ones who're neither attached to Hell nor to Heavens yet. The background in their house have both fishes and birds.

zimno said:
you have a interesting consideration.
but that "かえるくん東京を救う (Kaeru-kun Tokyo wo Sukuu / Super-Frog Saves Tokyo") is a title of a existent short story by Murakami Haruki.
it is included in a collection of short stories "神の子供たちは皆踊る(Kami noKodomotach ha Mina Odoru / "After the quake ")

this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_the_quake

woah!!!!! GREAT!!! I'll read it this weekend!!! I wonder what sense does Murakami put in the frog. Because normally in Chinese/Japanese culture frog represents the lunar YIN. And I bet it's heavily implied in the show - not a single book from the light part of the library had anything to do with frogs. There were other Murakami's works though - e.g. Kafka on the shore. And, LOL, seruously, to find out now that "Super-Frog Saves Tokyo" is about 1995, the earhtquake and the sarin gas accident. Oh my... Just read my points about the Tokyo Subway above.
soulelleSep 9, 2011 6:10 AM
Sep 9, 2011 6:08 AM

Jul 2009
Going by the above speculation that the library was representative of heaven and hell, I'd say the 'child broiler' was meant to be Limbo; in particular, the Limbo of Infants.

Anyway, I liked this episode a lot, although I agree with the people who are distressed that we have to wait another week to find out if Sho is okay. I don't really have anything to say that hasn't already been said by someone else in this thread, haha, but I'm seriously considering hibernating until next week xP
If any of my posts seem odd, it's probably because I'm tired. Sorry. I have sleeping issues.
Sep 9, 2011 6:18 AM
Jun 2011
wth is this show still on the 500s in the mal rankings? So massively underrated.

Not looking for deeper meaning/references at the moment; I'll do that when I rewatch this once it gets completed XD
Sep 9, 2011 7:05 AM

Oct 2010
Zeando said:
^the 2 kids with the apple are in the child broiler's room
that child broiler may simply be the place where souls wait before to be born in a body (random guess)
That would explain perhaps Kanba being a soul mate of Himari but by mistake born as her brother. That would also explain as to why he was feeling like that in the beginning towards Himari. Perhaps more episode will confirm this but it may be another strong convictions based on your statement to assume Kanba being Himari's soul mate but reborn wrongfully as her brother. Finally this series threads are becoming very interesting in discussions.

Sep 9, 2011 7:44 AM

Nov 2008
Another great episode, but I'm going to have to rewatch to catch all of the symbols, as I was focused mostly on the talking this time.

Anyway, regarding "Penguin Force" and "Pingroup", Himari's possessor who initiates the survival strategies seems to be a member of "Penguin Force", as shown in the picture shown in the spoiler, which appears at the start of every survival strategy animation sequence.

However, the three penguins were delivered in a box from Pingroup. Seeing as penguin #2 and Himari's possessor work together, there may be some interaction with the two, although how they react is not quite clear.

And then there's the third penguin symbol, the one which I am using for my avatar. I believe that the name of the third faction is "Kiga", going off the apple in the opening. That is probably also a representation a limbo, or at least a bridge of sorts between Pingroup (Yang) and Penguin Force (Yin). The reason I say this is that the most prominent use of that particular penguin symbol so far was on the skunk in episode 4, who let off the gas that sent Ringo into the pond, which ultimately ended with CPR between Shouma and Ringo, which could be interpreted as kiss, and certainly was an action which intermingled Yin with Yang.
Rosa_FOEtidaSep 9, 2011 7:58 AM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Sep 9, 2011 8:24 AM

May 2010
Fantastic episode!
Sep 9, 2011 8:50 AM
Jun 2008
so....does kanba almost kiss Himari has anything to do with this episode?...
Sep 9, 2011 8:54 AM

Mar 2008
FOEbulous-max said:
And then there's the third penguin symbol, the one which I am using for my avatar. I believe that the name of the third faction is "Kiga", going off the apple in the opening. That is probably also a representation a limbo, or at least a bridge of sorts between Pingroup (Yang) and Penguin Force (Yin). The reason I say this is that the most prominent use of that particular penguin symbol so far was on the skunk in episode 4, who let off the gas that sent Ringo into the pond, which ultimately ended with CPR between Shouma and Ringo, which could be interpreted as kiss, and certainly was an action which intermingled Yin with Yang.

fabulous observation, Max ^_^ I'm also trying to figure out the meaning behind this third yin-yang penguin label. And I also believe that this is something that balances the other two factions.

In many episodes, though, it tends to appear more on the Force side. It's placed on the books from the dark part of the library. It's placed on the apple (which might also be considered a tool of the dark side, just like it's been used as a tool by the snake in the Bible). It's placed on those red "bullets", etc.

On the other hand, it's probably just that PingForce are using the underworld tools more frequently and aggressively, because of their very nature. So, perhaps, it's basically a sign that alerts, that the thing it's placed on, comes from the Underworld. That means, that such tools can be used by both sides, Pingroup.Inc and PingForce, for their own needs. After all, in the Bible the Apple itself was growing in Edem quite peacefully. It was the snake that used it in a negative sense for its needs.

So this probably is why, this label has such Yin-Yang appearance - suited for both sides.

ADD:

I wonder what was the meaning behind that other child in the hat? I can't even figure out properly, was it a boy or a girl - the one Himari saw?

I'm also curios, why is the Underworld located on the floor -61 of the basement? I mean, it makes sense for it to be down in the Earth, but why 61 exactly? Does this value has any special meaning? Why were some floors marked with fractions, like 56 1/3? I'm trying to Google the meaning behind the number 61 but to no real avail so far...
soulelleSep 9, 2011 9:00 AM
Sep 9, 2011 9:10 AM
Dec 2007
Terrific episode, the direction was near perfect. One of the best episodes of the season (wait what ? I already said that for Steins;Gate this week ?).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Sep 9, 2011 9:10 AM

Mar 2008
OH MY GODDESS!

FULL OF WIN!

Steins who? Madoka.. who is? AnoHana... i laugh!

And minna... I'M VERY PROUD IN ALL OF YOU!

PaninaManinaSep 9, 2011 9:18 AM
Sep 9, 2011 9:21 AM
Jul 2011
IT seems that ringo has regained some of her sanity and isnt just staring at shoma dead on the ground XD so thats good, least she was able to call
Sep 9, 2011 9:26 AM

Jul 2010
soulelle said:

I'm also curios, why is the Underworld located on the floor -61 of the basement? I mean, it makes sense for it to be down in the Earth, but why 61 exactly? Does this value has any special meaning? Why were some floors marked with fractions, like 56 1/3? I'm trying to Google the meaning behind the number 61 but to no real avail so far...

maybe
that aquarium is modeled on this :"Sunshine Aquarium"
http://sites.google.com/site/soukarinbu/home/pingudoramuseitijyunreisuizokukan

and it is situated on the rooftop of "Sunshine 60" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_60

IE, -61means "roof terrace (in the reverse world?)", i think
zimnoSep 9, 2011 9:37 AM
Sep 9, 2011 9:29 AM

Oct 2010
Orulyon said:
agreed. The important person to Himari is the "penguin" boy. and the best of it are the hints that the librarian guy gave her telling her she is the bride of Destiny. Now, she has a penguin hat, the little blonde boy had a penguin hat too but his penguin hat has a crown which suggests that he might be the King of penguins "Destiny" ? Ikuhara also directed SailorMoon, so this has a great chance of being true XD
I can't agree. That boy blonde person looks like a girl. True that the hat has a crown and the Himari's hat may be that of the queen but regardless nothing remotely suggests of any kind of Monarchy within the society of penguins. I don't trust that Sanetoshi since he could be another Kyuubey or Mephi

That being said, I strongly will keep an eye on the blond hair person.

Sep 9, 2011 9:55 AM

Aug 2007
as much as i enjoy this show, i'm not really keen on the stuff from utena recycled here...
Sep 9, 2011 9:57 AM

Aug 2011
soulelle said:
oh my GAWD!!!

So here we saw the UNDERWORLD!!! In fact, it's quite confusing, since the afterlife concept in the show seems to be a mixed one: based on the Japanese mythology, it nevertheless adds Christian elements. For example, the Heavens part (the green and light Library area with birds in the sky) - this is where the 7-sins plate is located - and the Hell part (the dark area of the Library with books by KAERU-kun) - with its Leader, the DEVIL - are both located in the underworld.

Damn, I knew that that guy would either be God or Devil. Turned out to be devil or so it seems. And he almost made Himari his bride! AH!!! Such a snake!! He even throw her an apple to share with her precious beloved one... See another Christian reference about Adam and Eva here? But Himari stopped that bastard in time and chose the right way... that's how she, in the very last moment, managed to escape becoming a member of Penguin Force (unlike Natsume) and stick to the PenguinGroup.Inc instead.

Regarding the book she got (Kaeru-kun "Tokyo wo Sukuu" - "Save/Help Tokyo" by Froggy): She tried looking for it in the Light part of the Underworld but they didn't have it. She then asked #3 to help her find that book and #3 showed her the way to the Dark part of the library... The books in that library are all written by Kaeru-kun (i.e. Froggy). Most of them are called "Save/Help somebody/something", e.g. "Save Otello", "Save the Foreign Legion", "Save the lover", "Save the family" etc. The "Devil" reads three books to Himari about her past: "Save the H trio", "Save the Takakura", "Save the TV-combo" - it's up to you to speculate about the actual meaning of those titles. I'll do it once I'll see the episode with subs and can understand for sure everything that happened in each of the flashbacks. But I'm pretty sure that the book Himari was looking for and eventually found was the "spell" to get back to Tokyo. One might also consider it a pun on KAERU, which can also be translated as "return, go back" rather than "frog".

But now the Double-H and Triple-H thingy is finally clear. Himari and those other two girls wanted to enter the Idol-Talent world as a "Triple-H" trio. But in the end Himary got kicked by the other two or so it seemed to me. So the two girls formed the "Double-H" duo without Himari.

Some pictures:
Penguin Force

PenguinGroup.Inc

Children's Broiler

Heavens/Light part of the Underworld

Hell/Dark part of the Underworld

woow, at first i knew this episode was great, but was a bit confused, but what you just said here really helped me!!!
thanks!!
can't wait for next episode, wanna see how badly injured shouma is...
Sep 9, 2011 10:07 AM
Jul 2018
Being unfamiliar with the 1995 incident reading through the previous posts helped in clearing up a lot of things. Interesting interpretations of the books and religious symbolism also.

Wow, Sanetoshi-kun sure has such a manly voice for a pink-haired dude XD So, he's the one who hands out penguins, hats and assigns 'destinies' to. I wonder if he's indeed the one that Masako reports to or some sort of an overseer of both the Penguin Group and the Penguin Force. What about the blond boy that Himari sees in the park, is he her destined groom (lol, Utena reference!)? If he will turn out to be such a central character I wonder which penguin faction he belongs to.

As much as I like Ringo, this episode served as a much needed break from her story. I also wonder about the Kanba's statement in the next episode preview, who will he be confronting in the next episode?
Sep 9, 2011 10:48 AM

May 2009
That was outstanding! I even forgot about Shouma for a while.
Hibari and Hikari have the same hair colour as Shou and Kanba, odd.

Hopefully next week we get to see Shouma's fate, though the preview suggests a detour to Kanba's story.

Mundane said:
I'm getting such massive Utena vibes from this, which is great.
YES! omg, Sanetoshi is a much less creepy and much more beautiful version of Akio. And the whole bride references. Ah, the entire episode screamed Utena. I loved it.
Sep 9, 2011 1:20 PM

Apr 2011
Nice catch on Triple H girls having the same hair color, I wonder if it correlates with Himari and destiny.

Shou-chan next week XD
Sep 9, 2011 1:20 PM

Jun 2008
Great episode!
Nice to see a bit of Himari's background.
But now i have to wait another week to find out if Sho-chan is okay T w T
Sep 9, 2011 2:52 PM

Aug 2010
soulelle said:
oh my GAWD!!!

So here we saw the UNDERWORLD!!! In fact, it's quite confusing, since the afterlife concept in the show seems to be a mixed one: based on the Japanese mythology, it nevertheless adds Christian elements. For example, the Heavens part (the green and light Library area with birds in the sky) - this is where the 7-sins plate is located - and the Hell part (the dark area of the Library with books by KAERU-kun) - with its Leader, the DEVIL - are both located in the underworld.

Damn, I knew that that guy would either be God or Devil. Turned out to be devil or so it seems. And he almost made Himari his bride! AH!!! Such a snake!! He even throw her an apple to share with her precious beloved one... See another Christian reference about Adam and Eva here? But Himari stopped that bastard in time and chose the right way... that's how she, in the very last moment, managed to escape becoming a member of Penguin Force (unlike Natsume) and stick to the PenguinGroup.Inc instead.

Regarding the book she got (Kaeru-kun "Tokyo wo Sukuu" - "Save/Help Tokyo" by Froggy): She tried looking for it in the Light part of the Underworld but they didn't have it. She then asked #3 to help her find that book and #3 showed her the way to the Dark part of the library... The books in that library are all written by Kaeru-kun (i.e. Froggy). Most of them are called "Save/Help somebody/something", e.g. "Save Otello", "Save the Foreign Legion", "Save the lover", "Save the family" etc. The "Devil" reads three books to Himari about her past: "Save the H trio", "Save the Takakura", "Save the TV-combo" - it's up to you to speculate about the actual meaning of those titles. I'll do it once I'll see the episode with subs and can understand for sure everything that happened in each of the flashbacks. But I'm pretty sure that the book Himari was looking for and eventually found was the "spell" to get back to Tokyo. One might also consider it a pun on KAERU, which can also be translated as "return, go back" rather than "frog".

But now the Double-H and Triple-H thingy is finally clear. Himari and those other two girls wanted to enter the Idol-Talent world as a "Triple-H" trio. But in the end Himary got kicked by the other two or so it seemed to me. So the two girls formed the "Double-H" duo without Himari.

Some pictures:
Penguin Force

PenguinGroup.Inc

Children's Broiler

Heavens/Light part of the Underworld

Hell/Dark part of the Underworld

Wow. This was a really good interpretation of the event. I'm not really religious so I would not have thought about relating it to the afterlife but it does make sense. I can see how the pink hair guy could represent the devil. The way he tempts Himari into showing a sign of narcissism/selfishness through presenting her with stories and questioning her (like when he said "but deep down you felt mad at your friends for becoming famous right?"). It's very similar to within the bible when Lucifer tempted Jesus into committing sin, but in the end Jesus persevered as so did Himari who decided to return back to earth.

Also, another interpretation I thought of was possibly that she never went to the "Library" physically but mentally. You know, kind of like the movie Inception where people travel deeper within their dreams. In Himari's case, she was moving deeper and deeper into her subconscious and viewing the most poignant/memorable moments of her life (kind of like how your life flashes before your eyes right before you die)..

God.. there could be several interpretations for this episode. But that's why I loved it so much!!

Also, Himari was not kicked out of Triple H (remember she was sick). That must have been the reason why she said that she left school and never came back/saw them again.. Also when she was on the metro and saw her friends from double H on the train, it kind of seemed like the director was trying to show that they were watching over Himari; as if they hadn't forgot her. Himari's friends were always there on the metro (not literally, but symbolically), showing that they hadn't forgotten about her and still care about her ( at least, if you view it from a literary standpoint)..

Phew.. what a great episode that was.. I'm loving this series. This was probably one of the best episodes yet; they should make more like this.
MSfanaticSep 9, 2011 2:58 PM
Sep 9, 2011 4:09 PM

Jul 2011
The episode was absolutely great! I loved how the episode decided to cover the background of Himari since we have not had much episodes with her much. I also liked the fact that there was some Shaft vibe to it especially the huge library. Although it was sad the fact that she wasn't able to be her childhood friends when they became idols. However it was nice that she doesn't view them grudgingly (I think) but more of admiration. Haha I feel bad because I totally forgot about Shouma being hit by a car from last week until the end. I really do hope it doesn't turn out to be incest...

Also I like to mention about the book number 3 was resting on. Could Himari possibly be saving Tokyo next? :]
Sep 9, 2011 4:15 PM

Oct 2010
Awesome episode this is definitely one of my season faves. And the mirrors had awesome quality no color splotches like in the recent episodes!

5/5
Sep 9, 2011 4:19 PM

Oct 2010
MSfanatic said:
Also, another interpretation I thought of was possibly that she never went to the "Library" physically but mentally. You know, kind of like the movie Inception where people travel deeper within their dreams. In Himari's case, she was moving deeper and deeper into her subconscious and viewing the most poignant/memorable moments of her life (kind of like how your life flashes before your eyes right before you die)..
Could be also astral travel as OBE (Out of Body Experiences) That is quite possible because the devil having her as wife would mean having totally control of her physical body, which would be much more feasible for him to try.

There is also the notion of her waking up in her room.

Sep 9, 2011 4:25 PM

Apr 2008
zimno said:
Why "Kaeru-kun Tokyo wo Sukuu"?
i like "Kami no Kodomotachi wa Mina Odoru" tho...murakami world?
mmmmm.....so many riddle

5/5 9/10

edit......................................................................................
i remember now.
this episode reminds me of "図書館奇譚(Tosyokan Kitan)" by Murakami Haruki

It reminded me of the same. Then again, in that library there were some Murakami references, like the one book with a similar name to Sputnik Sweetheart, so perhaps that was what was intended in the first place. The lift shaft and the "frog rescues..." books also reminded me a bit of Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

Anyway, this episode really has confirmed to me that this series will be genius. Might I go so far and say that before long we might even see an anime that is even better than Utena? Maybe I do. Then again, constantly comparing this to Utena is perhaps not the right thing to do. Does it have to be similar to be good?

edit: Just a reminder that posts should be constructive and not 1 sentence lines like "lol gay" or "cool st00f". Any such posts will be deleted.
SoheiSep 9, 2011 4:31 PM
Sep 9, 2011 4:36 PM

Jan 2011
Athena said:
That was outstanding! I even forgot about Shouma for a while.
Hibari and Hikari have the same hair colour as Shou and Kanba, odd.

Hopefully next week we get to see Shouma's fate, though the preview suggests a detour to Kanba's story.

Mundane said:
I'm getting such massive Utena vibes from this, which is great.
YES! omg, Sanetoshi is a much less creepy and much more beautiful version of Akio. And the whole bride references. Ah, the entire episode screamed Utena. I loved it.

I couldn't forget about Shouma at all, I was hoping him to show in the hospital but it seems that I'll have to wait next week. This epidose was really cool, the new guy appears, and the ep also show how Himari "was" doing while dead. All in one.

Shouma, don't die!
Sep 9, 2011 5:09 PM

Nov 2009
Interesting episode. I was so disappoint they didn't carry over the suspense from lats week, and adding another week ontop of it is really brutal.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 22, 2011

544 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 1:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.