Forum Settings
Forums

Smartphones----Do we really need their functions?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 26, 2011 2:34 AM

Oct 2007
To people who say they don't even need a cellphone; please get a social life.
Aug 26, 2011 3:05 AM

Mar 2011
Bere said:

Stop pretending that a big network of acquaintances, means that you have a social life.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Aug 26, 2011 3:06 AM

Dec 2008
ive had smartphone for 1 or 2 years now, the function im frequently are useing is their abillity to go on youtube, the GPS and ofc sms/call. all the other stuff/apps is next to useless imo. a translator can be good in some cases though.
Aug 26, 2011 3:22 AM

Oct 2007
Treekodar said:
Bere said:

Stop pretending that a big network of acquaintances, means that you have a social life.

Who said anything about some big network of acquaintances? My family cares enough to contact me. My friends care enough to contact me. My girlfriend cares enough to contact me. If you don't have that then you're just some forever-alone-guy and a nonchalant statement that you don't need any means to contact people doesn't make me admire you, it makes me pity you.
Aug 26, 2011 4:06 PM

Mar 2010
I have an Android phone, I love it. Its obviously nice to have, I use it for basic phone purposes obviously (texting/calling), but I also love how I can read manga on it, go on the internet and have it load faster than my actual house internet, watch videos, play games, it has a nice camera on it, I even use it as a grocery list when I go shopping, and I can calculate exactly how much I'm spending before I go to the checkout.

Its obviously nice to have, and I love using it. I COULD get by without it, but I wouldn't want to, I use it quite a bit and I use most of the features it has, and take advantage of helpful apps, and I just try to use it to its fullest.

Its not necessary to live or anything. But its just a nice thing to have.
Aug 27, 2011 5:24 AM
Dec 2009
My sister guilt me to get a smartphone with her 4 months ago and I still feel guilty for abandon my old faithful cellphone for that. So far it can be useful but not really necessary item in my life.

The advantage of my new android phone are better camera, GPS and better internet-wider screen. Some of its app are nice and can be addicting too but I'm not going to die or be in really big trouble not having it.
Aug 27, 2011 6:32 AM
Jan 2011
They're spiffy and certainly have their uses, but I've gotten by just fine without one. My current phone is a standard messaging phone with a tactile keyboard, and I don't find that I ever really need more than texting and calling most of the time. There have been a few times that I've used my phone's shitty browser to look up information or directions on the fly, and it would certainly be nice to have a device that could do those things more efficiently.

I'll probably end up getting a smartphone eventually, and I can certainly see myself getting use of things like Skype for free calling, GPS, a full HTML browser, an ebook reader and various other things. It will probably make things a little easier or nicer here and there, but I'm not absolutely dying to have one.
Aug 27, 2011 1:08 PM
Sep 2009
I have an iPhone 4, and after a year of having 6gb of data per month, I'm getting rid of it. I just don't need data. It really depends on the person though. I'm usually at home, but if I'm not, I usually have campus wifi. I found that I mainly used my data plan to check up twitter, facebook, etc. I figured that I'd save myself the 30 dollars a month instead of wasting my time on social networks. Btw, I recently deactivated my facebook and it feels awesome.

However, the smartphone itself is really the swiss army knife of cellphones. It's got the mp3 player, camera, calendar, alarm, texting, and email. Those features are essential to me, and that is why I have a smartphone.
Aug 27, 2011 2:50 PM

Jun 2011
I use mine quite a bit - more than the "phone" itself, actually. I have an Android that I use for e-mail, internet, social networking, GPS, maps, phone directories, calculator, alarm clock, recorder (for lectures), etc.

Naturally, I could get by without having one - but it does make life much easier.
Aug 27, 2011 4:36 PM

Dec 2007
Bere said:
Treekodar said:
Bere said:

Who said anything about some big network of acquaintances? My family cares enough to contact me. My friends care enough to contact me. My girlfriend cares enough to contact me. If you don't have that then you're just some forever-alone-guy and a nonchalant statement that you don't need any means to contact people doesn't make me admire you, it makes me pity you.

This is quite possibly the most ignorant statement of the year, and I frankly don't have the power in me to address all the ethical issues and logical fallacies in your post.
Aug 27, 2011 9:17 PM

Nov 2007
It's a nice thing to have, but yes people can live without it.

I have a smart phone, but really it's quite useless. I don't have the special plan or anything, so mine can really only text, call, and use wi-fi. The only reason I even got mine was because it was just as cheap as the rest of the phones in the store since the store was trying to get rid of it.
Aug 28, 2011 1:42 AM
Dec 2009
I don't think that they need so many apps.

There are ones for just about everything there is, probably even one that measures the size of your dick.

What has this world come to.
Shuck Face / Slinthead!
Aug 28, 2011 7:58 AM

Jul 2010
no, i just use a standard flip phone, works just fine. plus much longer battery life.

Aug 28, 2011 10:17 AM

Sep 2010
Angel_Beats said:
no, i just use a standard flip phone, works just fine. plus much longer battery life.

This! Had a expensive and supposedly "top of the line" android before. Could not get over the rage of having to charge it EVERY day.
Aug 28, 2011 2:32 PM

Jun 2011
s043uf said:
This! Had a expensive and supposedly "top of the line" android before. Could not get over the rage of having to charge it EVERY day.

Very true, unfortunately. Overall, I am satisfied with my Android, but the battery life leaves much to be desired.
Aug 28, 2011 10:54 PM

Jun 2011
Like I said in another thread, it's not needed, but it's convenient and beneficial to have one. Mostly because I can use my Android for a lot of things. To do lists, Music, Camera, Games, etc.

People want them, they don't need them.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world." -Unknown
Aug 29, 2011 1:02 AM

Mar 2010
s043uf said:

Considering how much the top of the line Android phones do, the battery life is amazing.
It's stupid to expect a two day battery life with a phone that does basically everything besides scratch your ass.
Aug 29, 2011 4:56 AM

Jun 2011
Katoryn said:
Considering how much the top of the line Android phones do, the battery life is amazing.
It's stupid to expect a two day battery life with a phone that does basically everything besides scratch your ass.

Agree with this 100%. I don't really have anything to complain about the battery life.. Sure it could use some improvement, but it's fine the way it is. I mean, is it really that hard to charge it before going to bed? Mine just takes a few hours to charge and it's all set.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world." -Unknown
Sep 19, 2011 1:42 PM

Dec 2009
I agree with the above comments about the android battery life.

I will say as much as I hate admitting it, I find my smartphone to be essential in my life.

Things I absolutely need my phone for:
Alarm
Gmail (Job requires us to be attentive to it)
Google Maps (I use public transportation so it's nice to have alternative routes on the fly)
To Do Lists & Calendar (I can't to save my life remember dates and tasks, I used to carry a small notepad before so I guess this isn't necessary but my notepad never "reminded" me of things haha.)

Internet browsing, social networks, games, and entertainment are all perks for me.
Sep 19, 2011 2:10 PM

Apr 2009
I've seen no reason to get a smartphone till this point since I always drag my laptop along and free wifi is available virtually everywhere.
For making calls and sending messages my 60€ Nokia is perfect. Not to mention the fact it looks sexier than any smartphone and has a battery that lasts me for a week.
Whenever you correct someone's grammar just remember that nobody likes you.
Sep 20, 2011 12:44 AM
Sep 2011
indeed, I have a Nokia too, and don't even think about changing it for a smartphone... if it can't cook for me, why should I buy one? I already have a PC and a camera, so I don't really need all those functions
Sep 20, 2011 1:04 AM

Aug 2008
FYI, I feel stupid not having a smartphone. XD

Having an iTouch isn't all that better either.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Sep 20, 2011 2:57 AM

Jan 2010

FIRST WORLD PROBLEM. FOCUS ON REAL PROBLEM
Sep 20, 2011 3:54 AM

Nov 2010
It depends on the person, for me i don't own any phone, and i'm quite fine with it
My Parents do though, and i can see how much it helps them
Aug 10, 2012 8:43 AM

Jan 2010
I recently bought a smartphone (mine is a HTC Vivid, it uses Android 4.0), and I found it useful a lot. I used it as a GPS navigator, I use it as PDA for notes and schedule, use it to track times around the world, use it t track weather, use it for both Facebook and Twitter, checking email. I love smartphones. I'm glad they exist.

Actually smartphones are excellent weapon against dictators and brutal regime, I believe smartphones are currently use in the Syrian civil war against the Assad regime. They are used to record video and taking pictures of Assad's atrocities and I believe smartphones have been used during the Arab Spring alongside social media (Facebook and Twitter).
Aug 10, 2012 9:07 AM

Oct 2007
I get lost constantly so having a smartphone with a GPS is a lifesaver for me.
Aug 10, 2012 9:45 AM

Jun 2012
mdo7 said:

Actually smartphones are excellent weapon against dictators and brutal regime, I believe smartphones are currently use in the Syrian civil war against the Assad regime. They are used to record video and taking pictures of Assad's atrocities and I believe smartphones have been used during the Arab Spring alongside social media (Facebook and Twitter).

yeah yeah yeah

consumerism ftw tho
i wonder how many smart phones people have burnt through in the last 6 years
me, 0. -same cell phone- all you need to do is call people anyway

~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 10, 2012 2:49 PM

Jun 2012
Regicide said:

consumerism ftw tho
i wonder how many smart phones people have burnt through in the last 6 years
me, 0. -same cell phone- all you need to do is call people anyway

Also need to remind African coltan traffic which caused many death (directly or indirectly) in DRC. And there's absolutely no way to exactly know which company buy it. Most probable answer is all of them.

Edit : It's always more explicit with exploited child picture
HapaxAug 10, 2012 3:01 PM

I sometime have funky grammar, sorry about that. If you can correct some of my post, you would be an angel.
Aug 10, 2012 2:54 PM

Jul 2011
tembikai said:

FIRST WORLD PROBLEM. FOCUS ON REAL PROBLEM

Yeah! The real question should be, why don't we all have Tablets? People are suffering dammit.

I can see why people like smartphones but i still have like a 10 year old flip phone. It texts, it calls, i am good. I feel like i have so much technology already that if i have a smart phone its just going to make me a bit more lazy. That and when ever i am with friends and they are all sitting there checking their Facebook with their phones it irritates the hell out of me.

Its not all hate though, i can see why people have them and they are impressive pieces of tech but i don't need my phone to do everything so i am happy with my old flip =P
Aug 10, 2012 2:55 PM

Jan 2012
Yes. I even get apps to extend the functionality. The only feature I don't use is the FM radio.
Aug 10, 2012 3:03 PM

Jun 2012
yeah the genocide in the drc is pretty extreme-10-12 mil dead If i recall
some outrageous number and the conditions are horrid
tho if for consumerism no one really reports it
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 10, 2012 3:15 PM

Dec 2008
I find my smartphone very handy, I don't have a lot of apps on it but the ones I do have I use a lot. It also keeps me well organised, I've got loads of notes and important alerts saved on it. Mostly I love having all my forms of communication available on one device, its great being able to call, text, email and IM using the same thing. Could I live without it? Yes, but it does make things a lot easier for me.
AllectoAug 10, 2012 3:18 PM
Aug 10, 2012 3:18 PM

Jan 2012
need? no

convenient? yes
Aug 10, 2012 3:24 PM

Jun 2012

Anons send a action against this, but it get low media cover. This problem is rather well hidden from everyone.
HapaxAug 10, 2012 3:42 PM

I sometime have funky grammar, sorry about that. If you can correct some of my post, you would be an angel.
Aug 10, 2012 3:28 PM

Jan 2012
Schonn said:
Katoryn said:
Agree with this 100%. I don't really have anything to complain about the battery life.. Sure it could use some improvement, but it's fine the way it is. I mean, is it really that hard to charge it before going to bed? Mine just takes a few hours to charge and it's all set.
Singe I changed mine to CyanogenMod 9, it lasts 2-3 days. It only gave me about 18 hours on Samsung's Android 4.0.3
So it really depends on how many power-wasting apps are bundled with the firmware.
Aug 10, 2012 4:02 PM

Apr 2012
smartphones are great. thanks to my iphone, i now know what kind of cooking oil i should buy at the grocery store. back in 2006, i would not have access to that information on the spot. i think it's the subtle things like that that show ultimately how integral and important smartphones are to our everyday life.
Aug 10, 2012 5:02 PM
Mar 2010
I have a blackberry. Absolutely loathe it. I'm only 18, so I don't need all of the "business functions" it apparently has. I use my BBM, phone call, txt, alarm clock & notepad. Done. I've had "dumb" phones that are more useful to me tbh. But that might be because my bb is utter shit. Freezes SO often n shit. Can't deal with it.

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
Aug 10, 2012 7:47 PM

Sep 2008
Monad said:
People say what they use from their phones but they always forget the one thing they use even more than the phone or message communication.
Looking at the god damn time!!! No one even wear a watch anymore. Watches are just accessories now instead of useful objects.

Aesthetic said:
Do you realize how much more smartphones are useful than regular cellphones?

For most people they aren't. And even many people who play with them all day and seem to use them is not because they really need them but because they are like little kids playing with the cool features or they feel like they have to find use for them since they pay them.

Most people just use computers to check email and fuck around on facebook, are computers useless too because of what the majority does with them?
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 10, 2012 8:30 PM

Feb 2012
I just have a normal cell phone with a keyboard for texting, but I do get a taste of Android with my rooted Kindle Fire. It's a great interface, and Google Music is amazing, especially on vacations, which I just used it on. Other than that, I have two great manga apps that I use, and that's pretty much 80% of what I use it for. I certainly wouldn't need a smartphone though, as I usually have access to wifi and I hate traveling anyway.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
Aug 14, 2012 3:10 PM

Oct 2011
I just upgraded to an Android, only because it would actually make my plan cheaper than staying at with the same type of phone (don't ask me why, but that's what they said.)

Some of the things on it are useful. GPS could be useful...someday. I downloaded a few free stories to the Amazon Kindle app, in case I end up stuck waiting somewhere with nothing to do. But I wish I could delete about 90% of the junk they put on there by default. I'm never going to play the golf or racing games, and I'm sure as hell never going to use the NFL thing that's on there. Most of them are demos that you have to pay to get the full version anyway. I don't need to check Fakebook.

I actually do miss my old flip phone; the only downside to that was using the phone pad to send text messages. But it was all I needed. And yes, I can get by without a phone at all. I can't remember when I ever used it when I was "out." But you never know when you might get into trouble somewhere, which is why I have it.
Aug 14, 2012 3:14 PM

Oct 2011
zharnotczar said:
I don't support the e-book market, but I certainly don't hate it. Yes, the e-book is taking attention away from the physical book market, but it's helping many authors get published. I hear stories all the time about people who go around trying to get published at lots of physical book publishers, and they're rejected time after time. They're not rejected because the book isn't good enough, but because the publishers don't want to publish books that are similar to ones they already published and they don't want them competing. Then the authors go to an e-book publishing company, like amazon e-books, and they quickly get published and start selling books. In fact, I was listening to a public radio station a few days ago and heard about a woman who instantly went from being unpublished to being a best seller. Her book was even pictured on an amazon advertisement she was spammed with. Unfortunately, I can't find the name of the woman at the moment. The station that plays my public radio features so many different contributors that I can't figure out where to search.

Was it 50 Shades of Grey?

There's a reason those books have gotten rejected. Now that everyone can self-publish, sites like Amazon are literally drowning in shit. Did a good book occasionally get turned down in the past once in a while? Sure. But at least we had a filter to save us from all this junk.
Aug 14, 2012 4:06 PM

Jan 2011
If you're still in high school you don't need one, if you're in college having one could prove useful but your money would be better spent elsewhere and if you job requires frequent traveling then yes it is a useful tool. And no you never "need" it, it may be useful but it's far from being a necessity.
Aug 14, 2012 4:22 PM

Aug 2012
Considering I've had this shitty Razr flip phone ever since it came out, IDGAF about smart phones or their features. I get along just fine without 'em.

My laptop on the other hand....
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Aug 14, 2012 4:23 PM
Jun 2012
its good entertainment when i am on the train or bus feeling bored. however i feel that smart phones are way overpriced.
Aug 14, 2012 7:30 PM
Nov 2008
This thread is full of people too poor to afford a smartphone talking them down like they're a pointless technology.
Aug 15, 2012 5:24 AM

Jun 2011
Onibokusu said:
This thread is full of people too poor to afford a smartphone talking them down like they're a pointless technology.

Indeed.

Aug 15, 2012 6:17 AM

Jul 2008
I don't like smartphones generally because of the weak battery, unhandy touch-screen and price.

My computer is all I need.
Aug 15, 2012 6:45 AM

Jul 2009
Bernd said:
weak battery

Bernd said:

price.

Oh god, spend a little more and you'll get something that lasts a week.

Batteries still suck but not so much on high end phones.
🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳
🌳                             🌳
🌳     🐝           🦝       🌲   🌳 
🌳      Cursor Nature reserve           🌳
🌳        🦋        🦩     🐕    🌳
🌳                              🌳
🌳      🐐        🌲       🐧    🌳
🌳                              🌳
🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳
Aug 15, 2012 8:52 AM

Oct 2011
Bernd said:
I don't like smartphones generally because of the weak battery, unhandy touch-screen and price.

Yeah, the touch screen is not very good. I've accidentally called people a couple times already, and the on screen keyboard is completely useless. Having to charge the battery every few days is ridiculous, too, but I guess I'll get used to it.
Aug 15, 2012 9:26 AM

Jun 2012
Honestly I only really use a chat client on mine besides the regular texting and calling. There is the camera on my phone as well, but it's not the best quality so I prefer to use my SLR.

I also have an iPod touch that I use constantly for watching anime or reading manga, so I would say that those features are important to me but I'm sure I could live without them. I wouldn't say it's something I NEED but definitely something I enjoy using.
I wandered through fiction to look for the truth.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

676 by Hitagi__Furude »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

22 by traed »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

26 by Serafos »»
21 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

43 by LordSozin »»
2 hours ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 23

31 by Kushna »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.