Forum Settings
Forums

Smartphones----Do we really need their functions?

New
Aug 22, 2011 7:28 AM
Aug 2011
I'm interested about other people's opinions whether they find it useful to have an Ios, an Android or a Windows Phone powered smartphone and if they are REALLY using the functionalities of these devices, because nowadays most of the people I see in the streets 9/10 of them has a smartphone.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 22, 2011 7:40 AM

Jun 2008
Ichi_kun90 said:
I'm interested about other people's opinions whether they find it useful to have an Ios, an Android or a Windows Phone powered smartphone and if they are REALLY using the functionalities of these devices, because nowadays most of the people I see in the streets 9/10 of them has a smartphone.

Do we need those crazy factions? No we don't really need them that much. Are they completely useless? Well some are, some not.
It's true that the hype is bigger than their usefulness but some staff can be useful. Like you phone playing videos and mp3's can be good for someone taking long trips. Or a GPS functionality can help someone that has no GPS in his car and doesn't know the road very well.

There are though lots of useless factions that are just there to kill time or break the nerves of the person you went out with because you play with your phone instead of talking.
Aug 22, 2011 8:55 AM

Sep 2008
I use it constantly actually. Especially when I need to look some thing up and I can't get to a computer. It's gotten to the point where I can't even remember how I got by with out it.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 22, 2011 8:58 AM

Sep 2008
I never even held a smartphone in my hands, let alone used it.
Aug 22, 2011 10:44 AM

Feb 2009
More accurately this question should have been, does anyone reeeeeeally want to be forcibly made to participate in your innane drivel phone call that would not have ever happened 50 years ago.

Take your phone, and go somewhere where no one needs to be made to hear your pathetic excuse for meaningless babble.

Oh and if your car is running, turn off your f**king phone. I'd love to be driving in front of these assholes and slam on the breaks.

And no I don't want to hear you talking in the theatre/church or now that I think of it anywhere at all.

And don't think that texting makes me any more amused in the theatre, the sudden beam of light from your dumb ass device is not welcome either.

I've made it very plain to all that might routinely call me, that I am not a means to waste time. I don't want to hear your phone call that only arrives because you need to kill 15 minutes. My time is worth something to me, have a real reason to call of accept that I might just not really spend any effort making the conversation move along.

The correct response to most pointless cell phone calls is to treat them like telemarketers.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Aug 22, 2011 10:52 AM

Mar 2010
Well, I use the alarm clock function ................lol
Aug 22, 2011 10:56 AM

Apr 2011
How else would I get my daily dose of brain radiation?
Aug 22, 2011 11:03 AM

Apr 2010
No.

nobody needs that much crap, i dont even have a basic cell and im get by just fine

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Aug 22, 2011 11:19 AM

Jun 2009
I have an iPhone. My primarily used functions of it are:

- phone calls/texting
- GPS
- calender
- internet
- alarm

Save for internet, all of these functions are vital to my current lifestyle. Communication is obvious, GPS because I often travel to unfamiliar roads, calender to keep track of my dynamic work schedule, and alarm to make sure I can get up when I need to. Having all of these functions in one place is incredibly useful, and I would argue that it is a necessity.

I also have a number of situationally useful apps that have come in handy, such as:

- die rolling
- unit conversion
- geocaching
- flashlight
- moon phase
- calculator

These are things I could do without, but are nice to have.

And of course, I have a supply of games I never actually touch.

So while there is a lot of useless crap available on smartphones, certain lifestyles demand having one. One could get by without one, sure, but when it's right there for the taking, why wouldn't you?
Aug 22, 2011 11:19 AM

Mar 2010
natsukage said:
Well, I use the alarm clock function ................lol

I was kidding a little.
I use my windows phone to emulate NES, SNES, SEGA, Gameboy, GBA and even PSX. The calculator is used often. :)
Opera 10 can go to any website, and I can play online flash games. Java applets I can use to play games, or study stuff.

I don't use half of my features, but I can still do all that.
As well as using the GPS function, calling, and texting as well.

I forgot to answer the question the thread is asking:
NO, we don't need all the functions.
natsukageAug 22, 2011 11:22 AM
Aug 22, 2011 11:29 AM

Jul 2008
The wife and I have basic cell phones with unlimited texting because of our jobs. Since we both have phones we do not have a landline phone at our house. Facebook has an SMS service so I am able to update my status and see a text if anyone left me a message or posted on my wall.

I had an iPhone once. Bought it secondhand for very cheap. Tried it for a little bit, then sold it for a profit. :P The only useful bit for me would be the calendar apps, but a paper calendar on the wall is working fine for now.

If I need to do more than talk and text, I bring a laptop ;)
If I need GPS, I bring my handheld TomTom or Garmin GPS (no monthly fees!)

Having a camera and MP3 playing functions on a phone is very handy though! But you can get them in many of the most basic phones
Aug 22, 2011 11:33 AM

Mar 2010
Oh, I forgot the most important reason why you should buy a smartphone:
Posting on MAL!
Aug 22, 2011 11:49 AM

Dec 2009
Necessary? No. Extremely useful. Yes. And not to mention entertaining. If I'm waiting to pick someone up I can browse forums or do whatever. Not to mention weather and GPS. Also the best reason for me is using my iPhone to watch anime and other stuff in bed from my media server. Thats the number one use for me.
Aug 22, 2011 1:41 PM
Sep 2009
Nah, bb's in particular arent that great and always freeze. I personally, can do without all the miscellaneous. I only really use it for BBM.
Aug 22, 2011 2:10 PM
Jul 2018
Sukunai said:
More accurately this question should have been, does anyone reeeeeeally want to be forcibly made to participate in your innane drivel phone call that would not have ever happened 50 years ago.

Take your phone, and go somewhere where no one needs to be made to hear your pathetic excuse for meaningless babble.

Oh and if your car is running, turn off your f**king phone. I'd love to be driving in front of these assholes and slam on the breaks.

And no I don't want to hear you talking in the theatre/church or now that I think of it anywhere at all.

And don't think that texting makes me any more amused in the theatre, the sudden beam of light from your dumb ass device is not welcome either.

I've made it very plain to all that might routinely call me, that I am not a means to waste time. I don't want to hear your phone call that only arrives because you need to kill 15 minutes. My time is worth something to me, have a real reason to call of accept that I might just not really spend any effort making the conversation move along.

The correct response to most pointless cell phone calls is to treat them like telemarketers.

That is all problems of cell phones in general. Thread is about smart phone functions...
Aug 22, 2011 2:16 PM

Jan 2008
Neverarine said:
No.

nobody needs that much crap, i dont even have a basic cell and im get by just fine

Same here, whenever someone asks for my Mobile I say I don't have one and they look at me like i'm some kind of freak. Then I have to explain to them I don't need one there for I don't one I get on fine without one. They still look confused.

It's sad.
Aug 22, 2011 3:11 PM

Dec 2010
I own a BlackBerry. Used to have an iPhone.

Both these devices make my life so much easier because I'm able to text, send e-mails, check the news and stuff quickly. I communicate a lot more through e-mail than phone so to me, it's very convenient.

Then there are the little quirks that come along with it which is a nice addition, but for the most part, the functions are generally for communication purposes related to business and such.

Aug 22, 2011 3:14 PM

Jul 2007
I have a smartphone but don't use anything other than texts and phone calls.
Aug 22, 2011 3:21 PM

Apr 2010
I use mine constantly. It's basically keeping track of my life. I couldn't get by without it. Front page of my android is my to-do list. I do lots of basic web browsing on it, I read manga on it, I read books on it, etc. I text and call on it less than I use it for other functions. It functions nicely as a portable camera and keeps track of audio notes I need to leave for myself when it's easier than typing and not annoying for other people. I love my Android. It's fantastic.
Aug 22, 2011 3:43 PM

Oct 2007
I have an LG cookie or whatever it's called which is a far cry from a smart phone, but it does all the things I need a phone to do - call, text, alarm. I don't need a smart phone.
Aug 23, 2011 1:28 AM
May 2011
People that don't see the use of a smartphone are clearly just deluding themselves, but that doesn't mean that you need to keep it attached to your hands at all hours. I use mine when I need it. Otherwise it just serves as an MP3-player. A smartphone doesn't have to be that expensive either. I got a ZTE Blade. It may not be the fastest, prettiest or have the best camera - but all the important features are there for a third of the retail price of something better.
Aug 23, 2011 3:05 AM

Jan 2010
Got a Blackberry recently (3 days ago).
Use it for alarm, browsing using other peoples' wifi, reminders when I don't have a diary on me and calling/texting.

I could do all that on my old phone.. which was much simpler.
I don't really care for the dozens of other things on it.
Aug 23, 2011 3:48 AM

Jul 2011
I'm addicted to my iPhone and use pretty much every feature on it. Download apps all the time!

It's not needed at all though but it is definitely enjoyable.
Aug 23, 2011 4:03 AM
Apr 2008
I only use a handphone for the following
Phone calls
Calenders
Alarms
Some notes

That's about it.

So I don't really intend to get a smartphone.
Aug 23, 2011 6:35 AM
Apr 2009
I think a normal cellphone is more than sufficient...
I can call people at odd hours of the night... and hang up.
I can send creepy txts... and questionable pictures.
and I can take pictures of people during their daily lives...and at night too.

Unless I can use it to pinpoint peoples locations, I can't see why just a normal cellphone won't work with stalking someone... I hardly need distracting gimmicks, they will distract one from the true prize. Sure, additional features such as audio recording, or night vision, and such would help... but it is better to get devices which specialize in those. Always gotta have lots of gadgets..
Aug 23, 2011 7:40 AM

Nov 2008
I don't need it, I have a smartphone and only use it for calls and an alarm, I have a GPS in my car.

Aug 23, 2011 10:00 AM

Apr 2010
i think it really depends on the person, i kno some people who cant even live without being in there phone reading books or an article of some sort or juss browsing the web or using it for work related things. in any case tho i lov it, even tho i prob dont use them ALL i defintly play games,browse the web ,use the gps,and camera alot, not to mention the thousand other apps that u use here and there jusss not all the time.I think its not that they are useless ,but its certainly very nice to have when i kno my fone can do just about everything a laptop can and make calls and still fit in my hand .
i would hit you ,but i dont wanna get any douchbag on my hands :P
Aug 23, 2011 12:35 PM

Jun 2011
I think ffor the majority of people they're quite useless. My bestfriend has an iPhone and she hardly uses the thing at all. Given it's a piece of shit but meh - they're so lame in my opinion.

Now a days you can't go anywhere with out being bombarded by cell phone users in public. Then there's the dumbass commercials for the damn smart phones that haunt me even in my sleep.

Personally I am bias though on account that I've never even had a cellphone in my life. I am 19 now and have gotten by just fine with out one. They're completely unnessecary but now my college campus no longer has a pay phone. It's ridiculous how not many exsist any more because it's the age of the cell phone and the kindle (which i really CAN NOT stand) soon there won't be any more hard copies of books and we'll have microchips in our blood. >.< scurrrry stuff dude
Aug 23, 2011 2:52 PM

Apr 2010
femalegoblin said:
I think ffor the majority of people they're quite useless. My bestfriend has an iPhone and she hardly uses the thing at all. Given it's a piece of shit but meh - they're so lame in my opinion.

Now a days you can't go anywhere with out being bombarded by cell phone users in public. Then there's the dumbass commercials for the damn smart phones that haunt me even in my sleep.

Personally I am bias though on account that I've never even had a cellphone in my life. I am 19 now and have gotten by just fine with out one. They're completely unnessecary but now my college campus no longer has a pay phone. It's ridiculous how not many exsist any more because it's the age of the cell phone and the kindle (which i really CAN NOT stand) soon there won't be any more hard copies of books and we'll have microchips in our blood. >.< scurrrry stuff dude
I don't support the e-book market, but I certainly don't hate it. Yes, the e-book is taking attention away from the physical book market, but it's helping many authors get published. I hear stories all the time about people who go around trying to get published at lots of physical book publishers, and they're rejected time after time. They're not rejected because the book isn't good enough, but because the publishers don't want to publish books that are similar to ones they already published and they don't want them competing. Then the authors go to an e-book publishing company, like amazon e-books, and they quickly get published and start selling books. In fact, I was listening to a public radio station a few days ago and heard about a woman who instantly went from being unpublished to being a best seller. Her book was even pictured on an amazon advertisement she was spammed with. Unfortunately, I can't find the name of the woman at the moment. The station that plays my public radio features so many different contributors that I can't figure out where to search.
Aug 23, 2011 3:39 PM

May 2011
I don’t want one. A cell phone is meant for calling someone first and foremost. I like the idea of text messaging and a camera on the phone (because the only camera I have is on my cell phone) however, those two functions are not really needed. Personally, I think it’s really sad whenever I go out to a restaurant and most everyone has their cell phone out and they are paying more attention to the phone then they are to the person(s) they are with. I always turn my phone off at restaurant because I find it very rude and disrespectful to the people you are with and the people that are around you.
Aug 25, 2011 3:27 AM
Aug 2011
I use an Alcatel Ot 806, and it's currently enough for me, because I only use it for calling, SMS, clock, alarming and browsing with Wi-fi, but later I may buy a smartphone, we will see. My only expectations are only to have an office reader, a good web browser, a great music player and 12+ MP camera in it. I think maybe Sony Ericsson will release a Walkman branded smartphone for this purpose, then I may think of buying it.
Aug 25, 2011 3:31 AM

Nov 2010
Do you realize how much more smartphones are useful than regular cellphones?
Aug 25, 2011 3:33 AM

Jun 2008
People say what they use from their phones but they always forget the one thing they use even more than the phone or message communication.
Looking at the god damn time!!! No one even wear a watch anymore. Watches are just accessories now instead of useful objects.

Aesthetic said:
Do you realize how much more smartphones are useful than regular cellphones?

For most people they aren't. And even many people who play with them all day and seem to use them is not because they really need them but because they are like little kids playing with the cool features or they feel like they have to find use for them since they pay them.
MonadAug 25, 2011 3:36 AM
Aug 25, 2011 4:21 AM
May 2009
Don't have a smart phone. Don't seem to need one. Plus Paying contract rates just puts me off from getting one.
Aug 25, 2011 5:21 AM

Aug 2010
I have a samsung mp3 player
I have a DS lite with a flash card
I'm an introvert, so i hate the phone most of the time
I have no need for your smart phone

Oh and the smart/cellphone users piss me off at work. The moment they are out of sight of the ceo/boss/supervisor they stop working and start texting/play whatever, so i end up to be the only one doing all the work.
Aug 25, 2011 5:22 AM

Oct 2009
I've lived without a smartphone, so no. I don't and I don't understand why anyone else would need one.
Aug 25, 2011 5:45 AM

Aug 2007
Maybe, thera are a lot of persons and one or two nay need the functions of a smartphone.
Aug 25, 2011 11:51 AM

Sep 2008
If I had one I'd probably just use the GPS on it the most since I lose my sense of direction as soon as I get in my car.

I really only want one so I can browse the internet when I feel like it, I don't need the 9001 apps aside from a few IM clients maybe.

That and the calendar, might be useful due to my job's weird scheduling. And the alarm clock, since only phone alarm clocks wake me up for some reason. I already have a MP3 player so I don't need to be eating into the atrocious battery life the things get anyway.
Aug 25, 2011 5:42 PM

Jan 2011
Dont have a smart phone, i still have minez from 2008. I only use to make callz or text and use it as an alarm, and thats all i need.
MikeS90Aug 25, 2011 6:35 PM
Aug 26, 2011 2:20 AM

Nov 2010
Sakulily said:
I've lived without a smartphone, so no. I don't and I don't understand why anyone else would need one.

Convenience is the the biggest part. If you had a smartphone you wouldn't need to buy things like GPS and mp3 players.
Aug 26, 2011 2:34 AM

Oct 2007
To people who say they don't even need a cellphone; please get a social life.
Aug 26, 2011 3:05 AM

Mar 2011
Bere said:

Stop pretending that a big network of acquaintances, means that you have a social life.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Aug 26, 2011 3:06 AM

Dec 2008
ive had smartphone for 1 or 2 years now, the function im frequently are useing is their abillity to go on youtube, the GPS and ofc sms/call. all the other stuff/apps is next to useless imo. a translator can be good in some cases though.
Aug 26, 2011 3:22 AM

Oct 2007
Treekodar said:
Bere said:

Stop pretending that a big network of acquaintances, means that you have a social life.

Who said anything about some big network of acquaintances? My family cares enough to contact me. My friends care enough to contact me. My girlfriend cares enough to contact me. If you don't have that then you're just some forever-alone-guy and a nonchalant statement that you don't need any means to contact people doesn't make me admire you, it makes me pity you.
Aug 26, 2011 4:06 PM

Mar 2010
I have an Android phone, I love it. Its obviously nice to have, I use it for basic phone purposes obviously (texting/calling), but I also love how I can read manga on it, go on the internet and have it load faster than my actual house internet, watch videos, play games, it has a nice camera on it, I even use it as a grocery list when I go shopping, and I can calculate exactly how much I'm spending before I go to the checkout.

Its obviously nice to have, and I love using it. I COULD get by without it, but I wouldn't want to, I use it quite a bit and I use most of the features it has, and take advantage of helpful apps, and I just try to use it to its fullest.

Its not necessary to live or anything. But its just a nice thing to have.
Aug 27, 2011 5:24 AM
Dec 2009
My sister guilt me to get a smartphone with her 4 months ago and I still feel guilty for abandon my old faithful cellphone for that. So far it can be useful but not really necessary item in my life.

The advantage of my new android phone are better camera, GPS and better internet-wider screen. Some of its app are nice and can be addicting too but I'm not going to die or be in really big trouble not having it.
Aug 27, 2011 6:32 AM
Jan 2011
They're spiffy and certainly have their uses, but I've gotten by just fine without one. My current phone is a standard messaging phone with a tactile keyboard, and I don't find that I ever really need more than texting and calling most of the time. There have been a few times that I've used my phone's shitty browser to look up information or directions on the fly, and it would certainly be nice to have a device that could do those things more efficiently.

I'll probably end up getting a smartphone eventually, and I can certainly see myself getting use of things like Skype for free calling, GPS, a full HTML browser, an ebook reader and various other things. It will probably make things a little easier or nicer here and there, but I'm not absolutely dying to have one.
Aug 27, 2011 1:08 PM
Sep 2009
I have an iPhone 4, and after a year of having 6gb of data per month, I'm getting rid of it. I just don't need data. It really depends on the person though. I'm usually at home, but if I'm not, I usually have campus wifi. I found that I mainly used my data plan to check up twitter, facebook, etc. I figured that I'd save myself the 30 dollars a month instead of wasting my time on social networks. Btw, I recently deactivated my facebook and it feels awesome.

However, the smartphone itself is really the swiss army knife of cellphones. It's got the mp3 player, camera, calendar, alarm, texting, and email. Those features are essential to me, and that is why I have a smartphone.
Aug 27, 2011 2:50 PM

Jun 2011
I use mine quite a bit - more than the "phone" itself, actually. I have an Android that I use for e-mail, internet, social networking, GPS, maps, phone directories, calculator, alarm clock, recorder (for lectures), etc.

Naturally, I could get by without having one - but it does make life much easier.
Aug 27, 2011 4:36 PM

Dec 2007
Bere said:
Treekodar said:
Bere said:

Who said anything about some big network of acquaintances? My family cares enough to contact me. My friends care enough to contact me. My girlfriend cares enough to contact me. If you don't have that then you're just some forever-alone-guy and a nonchalant statement that you don't need any means to contact people doesn't make me admire you, it makes me pity you.

This is quite possibly the most ignorant statement of the year, and I frankly don't have the power in me to address all the ethical issues and logical fallacies in your post.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Have you pushed yourself beyond your comfort zone

ST63LTH - 8 hours ago

9 by Taiyaa »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you believe in moral facts?

Freshell - Yesterday

27 by traed »»
1 hour ago

» Why do I have 500 profile views?

Shimiiii - Jun 20, 2019

42 by Astrollyth »»
1 hour ago

» What is the point of forums?

cosmosreceiver - 6 hours ago

19 by Serafos »»
1 hour ago

» Do you ever miss old/former online friends? ( 1 2 )

pludel2 - Apr 10

59 by Kazeninjaryu1 »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.