Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 15, 2011 8:27 AM

Feb 2009
Hanasoku Hiroha has a very good rival this season :D
Very good first ep.
Apr 15, 2011 8:37 AM
Sep 2009
Another strong entry for this season. Has potential to be the best thing to come out of the noitaminA block since The Tatami Galaxy.
NeverKnowsBest26Apr 15, 2011 8:48 AM
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Apr 15, 2011 8:49 AM

Sep 2010
Was not expecting the first episode to be so emotional. This was the best intro I have seen in a long time. While it might be a bit early to judge, I can already feel that this will become my favourite anime of the season.
Apr 15, 2011 9:23 AM

Mar 2010
Nice first episode, so far it seems the series will have some kind of deep meaning, and I'm already curious about what will happen, and what happened in the past with Menma.
Apr 15, 2011 9:27 AM
Jan 2010
This looks good, but it's so sad. :c

I can kind of see how it's going to end, and I have a feeling I'll cry at the last few episodes :c
Apr 15, 2011 9:29 AM

May 2009
wow this is good. ^_^

anyone else got disturbed when in the end
there was a shaver advertisement!
it ruined the whole thing

watched it on animedreaming
TweeApr 15, 2011 9:34 AM
Apr 15, 2011 9:48 AM
Dec 2007
Same concept as Cross Game (without the sports dimension and ghost apparition - well it's not so similar then, maybe closer to Q & A ?) mixed in with Toradora! characters, so this should be extremely good in the end. Tatsuyuki Nagai will probably do wonders with his chara-development and drama-themes handling.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 15, 2011 10:03 AM

Apr 2009
o.o I can only say I hope it keeps up the awesome. The visuals are stunning. I already like Poppo, you can tell he's not as cold as Yukiatsu.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Apr 15, 2011 10:08 AM

May 2009
I almost cried.... T_T
Apr 15, 2011 10:19 AM

Jul 2010
ringoo4 said:
Amazing. Extremely good. Hana-saku automatically lost in drama-department this season.

Though, it's ... very sad anime. Very depressing. (*Anaru part was lol)

HanaIro haven't given us a sample of its "drama" yet, :P
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Apr 15, 2011 10:23 AM

Apr 2008
This seems like a very interesting one.
Almost cried, which has been a long time since last time.
Menma was pretty cute, a shame it`s was
Sadest part was when she visited her family, her brother should let the tears out.
This one will most likely get a very high score from me.

Apr 15, 2011 10:29 AM

Apr 2010
i think ive just found my favorite of the season, cant wait for the next ep

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Apr 15, 2011 10:41 AM

Jan 2011
i enjoyed it alot art kinda reminds me of toradora for some reason, imo i think this show will be quite good since it's got such a surreal story i'm sure everyone can relate to drifting apart from some of your friends over time,i know i'll most likely shed a tear watching this haha.
Apr 15, 2011 10:43 AM

Jan 2010
Now this is a good drama. I haven't seen anything quite this dramatic or depressing in quite a while.

I'm definitely looking forward to this one. Noitamina has at least one good show this season after their messy previous season.
Ok™
Apr 15, 2011 10:52 AM

Jun 2009
Dat OP.
Dat ED.
Dat ep.
Man, this sure was great. After Hanasaku Iroha it's currently my second favotite season this season so far.
OrochiPLApr 15, 2011 10:55 AM
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Apr 15, 2011 10:55 AM
Dec 2009
got a lot of cross game vibes from the first episode, the fulfilling of a wish of someone who died in their childhood, but guess same idea, different means, with the drama more towards clannad. nice how all the characters all have their own weaknesses so no one is a clear leader (jintan shut-in, anaru can't confess her feelings, poppo i evidently not schooling from the looks of it, and yukiatsu can't come to terms of being 2nd fiddle to jintan in the past)
Apr 15, 2011 11:08 AM

Jun 2009
Good tier with Hanasaku Iroha as my favorite this season.

I must say, I’m impressed. It was amazing for a first episode. The drama pulled at my heartstrings and I cried without thinking; it’s sad when a group of childhood friends become distantas they grow older and it portrayed it wonderfully. I’ve always wanted to watch a show like this.

I have absolutely nothing to complain about. Tanaka Masayoshi’s characters designs suit each of them well; on the other hand, the backdrop art was quite detailed and captivating. And what makes me love it the most: the music. Oh, the music. The OP theme fit well, it’s catchy and I’m sure I’m going to get it as soon as it’s released. And ED theme is gorgeous, just enchanting. I love how they meddled it with the end of the episode, it made an impact on me, a nostalgic feeling overcame me; it was merely too beautiful, so much that it made me shed a tear as well.

I’m flabbergasted. I can’t wait for the next episode, it pains me to wait.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Apr 15, 2011 11:30 AM

Oct 2010
This may be the best series in the supernatural/romance series this season. This first episode got me so emotional at the end and for Meiko Honma and Jinta that it got me teary. There is a warning that this series may become depressive and sadder as it goes. I say bring it on! I love series that can move me from the beginning such as Clannad, Kanon 2006 and Air. I don't agree with anyone that Meiko is like Index. She has nothing that Index had apart from being a airhead and a cry baby sometimes. If there is one show with romance involved with a ghost and what one person will do for that ghost because that person feels responsible for the death of when that ghost was a person it's this series! Depending how it will go on, it may be a a 10/10 by the end easily. This really impressed since this first episode. I want to see one simple thing, that of what is in the spoiler
add to that Anjo x Jinta love with perhaps a scenario where Anjo will witness a last kiss between Jinta x Meiko. It will be one hell of a fame IRL struggle to bring back old friends that changed as the means to ultimately do one thing get Meiko to cross to heavens. I dig IRL series Ghost Whisperer and so will I dig this series.

About Meiko Honma, I love Meiko in all her facials in the spoiler
but particularly in the following,

she is just too adorable in her yukata. I had to laugh at Jinta as Meiko rubs here against and he gets a effect while she really is a ghost. She looks very cute when seen sleeping with Jinta. I liked the barrier gag and I had no idea a ghost could feel fluids. Meiko crying face sure does not suit her at all. As I learned that most likely due to Meiko's airhead attitude that she drowned I got my confirmation she was a ghost while in the beginning I was not so sure due to the title. Meiko's brother is pretty cool person but kind of lazy and ignorant. Whereas Meiko's mother does believe that Meiko was around with the different sounds around the house and she does have the customs of honoring the death by giving them food. I am sure that Jinta is the only who sees her because of his love for her and the desire to apologize to her. As others will realize and think more about Meiko, I am sure she will appear to them also.

About Anjo Naruko, my #3 favorite character right after Jinta and who could resist such a girl when she as such a pose in the following,

while the whole proof that she has her period kind of got intriguing but I guess it's to show that she has her mood swings due to that. What was interesting to notice is that her friends are most likely a way for her to escape the reality, that from the looks of this proof when she was young, that Jinta is still all over Meiko and not her even though I know she loves him. On top of that she goes to the same school as him whereas Chiriko whom I find much better younger in the spoiler
than her present self along with her friend Atsumu go to a more private demanding school. Other interesting things about Anjo are a mature look based on her nail polish on her hands and the the fact she reads fashion magazines to be on top of being pretty. Not to mention that she is so far the only one who actually has picture of the group when they were kids. I really hope she hooks up with Jinta.

About Yadomi Jinta, first thing is if anyone got reminded of the same Popsicle in the spoiler
as the Amazon in “Arakawa Under The Bridge” had?
Jinta's game so reminded me a little of Gears Of War for the xbox 360 for some reason. From the looks of this Jinta sure was active to climb trees at a young age because I sure could not. From the looks of this flashback it's obvious that Jinta had his life screw up due to feeling bad of Meiko's death and I do blame him for it because if he paid more attention to Meiko like making sure she got home instead of being chicken shit by running away from her, she would not have drown at all. He's got to get over that and face things straight. Well at least he's got guts in jumping to Meiko's rescue while she was falling, which makes no sense since she is ghost except that it was a reflex of his. When he was running in the spoiler
got me thinking of a scene from Bokurano add to that the OST background and it was amazing. Followed by another great emotional scene when reunites with Tetsudo in the spoiler
that was like a great part of the episode and Tetsudo's face is pretty funny, that's apart for his ecchi tastes with the magazines that Jinta found. I am hoping that Meiko will seen by Tetsudo next episode. For now really happy to have found this series out.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Apr 15, 2011 11:31 AM

Nov 2008
It was depressing but definitely one of the better ones this season. I like my slice of life anime, so it was awesome!!! I really felt bad for Menma and Jinta : ( This episode really pulled at my heart strings, so I'm expecting for the rest to be good.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Apr 15, 2011 11:33 AM

Oct 2009
Wow...when Menma is all over Jinta making ramen...the big eyes and pointy nose reminded me of Escaflowne lol.

The OP is amazing. Great song, and I got chills from it. This anime is already making me remember past friends. D:

Naruko looked so ugly when she was a kid, but transformed into a babe...or a slut.
MMMM I want some WcDonalds.

During the middle where it said "Based on the comic by Takako Shimura", I was like "wat" because I thought it was about AnoHana...turns out gg just left the commercials in. ._.

Yukiatsu is a jerk.

I don't think he washed and dried his hands before he ate that dinner.

And my prediction was right! Before the show started airing, based off PVs and stuff, I was guessing that Menma was already dead. Turns out she was. She also really does look sort of like an angel, that was my first thought when I saw the promo artwork for the first time.

And damn, I can already tell this series is going to make me cry. ;__; Stuff about old friends like this always gets to me. And the ED is beautiful, I love the original song too.

I wonder if FUSHION PUROGURAIDO will be the new MORNING LESCUE.
Apr 15, 2011 11:37 AM

Feb 2010
That was ... depressing. Looking forward to the enxt episode.
Apr 15, 2011 11:43 AM

Dec 2007
Man...... I cried. First episode of the shit and I already cried watching it. Damn. Favorite of the season, for now, together with Dororon Enma-kun and Kaiji s2.
Apr 15, 2011 12:07 PM

Jan 2008
dbaranyi said:
BTW - the summary on the page is wrong. This is either a ghost story or a story of memories and regrets.

That can easily be changed by anyone with an account submitting for review. Same goes for ANN if you have an account there, which is free too. The Wiki entry for the light novel is a lot more detailed and accurate too, which isn't much different from the anime.

As for the show itself: freak'n awesome. It looks like this is going to be one of my new favorites.
Estoy_GordoApr 15, 2011 12:12 PM
Apr 15, 2011 12:26 PM

May 2010
Didn't expect that it'll turn out to be depressing.
Looks like we got a rival for Hanasaku Iroha.

Good start.
Apr 15, 2011 12:42 PM

Mar 2010
Gonna see great things from this show. nothing less from the director of Toradora
Geso
-----:D
Apr 15, 2011 12:54 PM

Apr 2009
I have to say that I was taken by surprise... I hadn't even included this series in my spring 2011 list, and I just checked out this episode and... holy cow. It sure was awesome, I'd even dare to say that it was the best first episode thus far. It reminds me of Kanon a bit, but not much enough to make me feel as if I've seen this before.
Yeah, it was good, the op and ed songs were good, everything was good about it - and somehow I feel that by the end of the series, many tears will have been shed.

Apr 15, 2011 12:56 PM

Nov 2007
pretty good first ep. story seems a little generic but it's interesting. at least flat out we know she's a ghost/hallucination. got to see the last guy at the end, was wondering when he'd show up.

holy fuck, his dad shows up along with Menma's. I thought all anime kids lived alone.

thought I'd give it a shot and it's worth following so far.

still think Anjo probably liked/likes him. with the other girl you know being a ghost or whatever she should have a chance. although he thinks of her as a rotten bitch for now.
Apr 15, 2011 12:59 PM

May 2008
This was really sad for a start but I loved it. This was show I was waiting for the most~
I love the op and ed~
sayamiApr 15, 2011 1:03 PM
Apr 15, 2011 12:59 PM

May 2007
OMFG!!!!! Secret base T__T , and it's the 10th anniversary this year.
With this type of story, it can't be just a coincidence.
Apr 15, 2011 1:23 PM

Dec 2008
Yea I totally teared up....this is going to be good.
Apr 15, 2011 1:27 PM

Jun 2007
Was not aware that Cross Game was being rebroadcast in the Noitamina timeslot...

Decent first episode, but has a lot potential to tank later on. Don't want to put too much money on A-1 Pictures coming off of Fractale.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Apr 15, 2011 1:46 PM

Feb 2010
Ousto said:

Loved that. Great way to finish an episode of something depressing. Cheers me right back up.
Apr 15, 2011 2:30 PM

May 2009
I WANNA CRY!
Apr 15, 2011 2:48 PM
Nov 2009
just wow....
Apr 15, 2011 2:56 PM

Feb 2011
This season, it continues to amaze me.

This is a superb episode, and the OP and the ED were amazing as well.
Apr 15, 2011 3:03 PM

Sep 2007
;_; What a wonderful first episode this was... Really touching and beautiful. I expect this series to be really good.

Apr 15, 2011 3:19 PM
Apr 2009
my eyes were teary - real talk Q.Q
Im totally watching this
hana-saku iroha got this comedy-drama I like
ano hi mita got this tragic/drama anime I was looking for since Clannad !!!
thoses 2 animes are my favorites this spring.
Apr 15, 2011 3:28 PM

Jul 2009
This show is just going to have me bawling isn't it.
Apr 15, 2011 3:32 PM

Oct 2010
what a nice episode, really well done, a bit depressing though.
i certainly have big thoughts for this anime now.
Apr 15, 2011 3:34 PM

Feb 2008
Definitely interesting, looking forward to how the rest of this show pans out... What exactly is Menma's wish? Why is she a ghost and can touch people? Lot of questions :D
Apr 15, 2011 4:10 PM

May 2010
Oh god, you know it's going to be good when I bawl at the end of the first episode.
Apr 15, 2011 4:23 PM
Mar 2010
Woah, didn't see this coming. So many amazing slice-of-life series this season...
Apr 15, 2011 4:35 PM

Nov 2007
Wow. I actually had teary eyes at the end. Great first episode. I am sticking with it.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 15, 2011 4:35 PM

Jan 2011
I was not prepared for the teary eye effect and I was watching in a public place, and it was embarassing. >______< BUT OMG. That was awesome! I'm not sure which I like better, this or Hanasaku Iroha, but this season is great so far from what I've seen, especially compared to the majority of the shows last season in my opinion. I'm really hoping that this will be 20+ episodes, there are really great characters and I can't wait to learn more about all of them.
Apr 15, 2011 4:45 PM

Dec 2009
Menma is pretty annoying.

I love this show already.
Apr 15, 2011 4:47 PM
Apr 2011
Yumekichi11 said:

About Anjo Naruko, my #3 favorite character right after Jinta and who could resist such a girl when she as such a pose in the following,

while the whole proof that she has her period kind of got intriguing but I guess it's to show that she has her mood swings due to that.

She wasn't on her period, that reddish cotton was to wipe off nail polish. I mean what girl leaves her period juice out on her table like that. Pretty disgusting don't you think?
Apr 15, 2011 4:52 PM

Dec 2009
Paiguy said:
Ousto said:

Loved that. Great way to finish an episode of something depressing. Cheers me right back up.

This XD

Maybe I'm the only one who noticed this, but Jintan looked like Yamamto when he was young and now he looks like Gokudera ( both from Hitman Reborn ). That made me lol^^

but besides that...

it was fucking sad :(

great show
yuno6.jpg
Apr 15, 2011 4:53 PM
Sep 2009
lol good to know I wasn't the only one who teared up at this. I had no idea Menma was supposed to be a ghost before I started this. ;_;

Yumekichi11 said:
while the whole proof that she has her period kind of got intriguing but I guess it's to show that she has her mood swings due to that.

What? Dude, no... That is not what pads or tampons look like.
Apr 15, 2011 4:54 PM

Mar 2008
meh..

Definitely not comparable to Hanasaku - that one is about real life, while this one is a ghost fantasy. So the shows are simply different, from different leagues. Unless they prove us wrong next episode and we'll get a confirmation, that rather than a ghost, Menma is a hallucination and the boy has a schizophrenic psycho desease. That would switch the show to interesting for me, I guess.

As for now, it only made me think of Kanon, which is quite depressing. Not because the show's sad, but because I feel like chewing the same gum. And the last thing I expected from noitaminA - lots of fanservice. This was reaaaally veeeery depressing and surprising. I even rechecked that the show airs in the noitaminA time slot... Apart from that, didn't find anything that could make me cry even though I'm usually a crybaby... the show just felt too fake for a slice of life, I guess.

Let's see what comes further. I keep my hopes for imporvements in all areas - the plot, the characters, the realisim, the direction, and even the animation.
Apr 15, 2011 5:06 PM

Sep 2009
Looking at the reactions to this episode, I think I watched an entirely different anime. Maybe I did the show much injustice because I was hyping it up a little too much, as I do for all original anime, but the pace in this episode just wasn't to my liking. They just jumped headfirst into the character interactions and I was feeling a bit too perplexed to feel moved at all. I'm quite optimistic that things will pick up though. Here's to hoping.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1236 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2011

387 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 9, 2011

327 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 2, 2011

422 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 26, 2011

230 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 5:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.