Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 14, 2011 3:13 AM

Sep 2008
Mami is totally badass, too bad she's most likely a villain...

Overall, awesome show so far.
Jan 14, 2011 3:38 AM

Apr 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
TheTimeOut said:
Here is the German text on the walls at 16:41 and 18:07 with English translation.
Sounds to me like something demonic or evil is going on that text can anybody simply this philosophy or meaning?
Someone mentioned in a earlier post that it has to do with Faust who was the main character of a German legend in which he sold his soul to the devil in exchange for unlimited knowledge and pleasures.
From what i heard this legend has also been the inspiration for many poets musicians and story writhers.

About the episode.
The reactions of there green haired friend where great the give me a good laugh, and the reaction of Madoka's mother was even better about taking over the company.
Mami trying to show of and drinking some tea right after killing that witch was abstract.
Again i love the art and i can't wait for next week.
Jan 14, 2011 3:46 AM

Dec 2009
5/5

this episode pretty much made up for the first one, as a bunch of questions were thrown at me when i first saw this. fight scene was awesome. Mami kicks ass. screw the wands and staffs. guns are the way to go!

and WTF is up with those enemies? unique, but weird at the same time.
Signature has been deleted because it exceeded the file size limits. Please refer to Section IV of the General Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2011 4:10 AM

Dec 2008
Witches were...not what I expected. Then again SHAFT never does anything according to standard expectations anyway. >.>

Good to see early development, hope it keeps it up and doesn't lose its way. The premise is REALLY interesting and it would be a shame to see the series lose its potential before its over with.
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Jan 14, 2011 4:55 AM
Feb 2008
Second episode only tops the first.
We are getting some background info and awesome fightscenes.
I hope we get some story going on soon.
And Magia cover is just epic:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/Magia-%E3%82%A2%E3%83%8B%E3%83%A1%E7%9B%A4-Kalafina/dp/B004DGD4QE/ref=pd_sim
Jan 14, 2011 5:12 AM
Feb 2008
Yumekichi11 said:
Blackbird said:
But I like insert songs very much, these songs remind me a bit of .hack series and Tsubasa Chronicle.
I sitll say it very looks more like this: http://myanimelist.net/anime/514/Cossette_no_Shouzou and I have waited for a anime to have such music.

You realize that all of these animes have the same person (Yuki Kajiura) as composer? You'd better check out the other soundtracks she's done (Noir, Mai Hime, Pandora Hearts, Kara no Kyokai etc), since they're all awesome xD
Jan 14, 2011 6:24 AM

Feb 2008
Now that was just... wow... exciting throughout the whole episode. Loved the excerpt from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe's "Faust (Part 1)". The part is sung by the Chorus of Spirits in the Study scene.

Also that ending illustration by Hikawa Hekiru. Brilliant.

I really have high expectations in this show.
Jan 14, 2011 7:19 AM

Aug 2008
I actually enjoyed this episode a lot. I liked the weird battle scene and the BGM. I actually expected the witches to actually have a humanoid form, but I hope they explain what they are exactly later on.
Jan 14, 2011 7:44 AM

Nov 2010
Telepathy in class is pretty useful, lol =3
Jan 14, 2011 7:48 AM

May 2010
Erupt Finale FTW
A loli w/ big guns!! Hell yeah!!
I spotted pedobear in OP. O_o
Jan 14, 2011 8:29 AM

Oct 2010
Aversa said:
Yumekichi11 said:
TheTimeOut said:
Here is the German text on the walls at 16:41 and 18:07 with English translation.
Sounds to me like something demonic or evil is going on that text can anybody simply this philosophy or meaning?
Someone mentioned in a earlier post that it has to do with Faust who was the main character of a German legend in which he sold his soul to the devil in exchange for unlimited knowledge and pleasures.
From what i heard this legend has also been the inspiration for many poets musicians and story writers.
Well that explains it all, thanks again friend. Guess it goes the same for Magical Girl, they sell their lives to get what they most want, the only difference goes back to between hope and despair really.
Aversa said:
The reactions of there green haired friend where great the give me a good laugh,
Hitomi was great with her reactions! Her shy side is a nice touch to her character.
Aversa said:
and the reaction of Madoka's mother was even better about taking over the company.
I like her reactions too. Kind of semi-serious and sarcastic.
lumi said:
Yumekichi11 said:
Blackbird said:
But I like insert songs very much, these songs remind me a bit of .hack series and Tsubasa Chronicle.
I sitll say it very looks more like this: http://myanimelist.net/anime/514/Cossette_no_Shouzou and I have waited for a anime to have such music.
You realize that all of these animes have the same person (Yuki Kajiura) as composer? You'd better check out the other soundtracks she's done (Noir, Mai Hime, Pandora Hearts, Kara no Kyokai etc), since they're all awesome xD
Yup, checked them out and got to admit some of the series I have seen, definitely rang the bell of awesome such as Pandora's Hearts and Mai-HiME of whom I loved the OST as well.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jan 14, 2011 9:18 AM

Nov 2009
Gunslinger + unlimited blade works... I think I'm in for a treat.
Jan 14, 2011 10:05 AM

Dec 2007
Okay I seriously adore this show, from the concept to the witch battle artwork and animation to the....everything. Mami's character design, especially when she goes magical girl. The way the third friend thinks Madoka and Sayaka are together (please more yuri subtext please please please). Akemi is just awesome. Quoting Faust omfg that made my day.

This could easily end up being the show of the year.
Ich verstehe nicht
Jan 14, 2011 11:41 AM

Aug 2010
This show is average, maybe a bit better than that at best...

-if it did not have such amazing background music. Especially during the first scene after the OP when the girls were talking; the music really elevated that scene, it was so beautiful and serene, just amazing.

I almost immediately crossed this show off my list, being a guy, I see shoujo and stay far far away. Though some elements have me worried, I can appreciate an anime that can deliver a semi-serious plot like this, especially if the artwork and music is so transcendent.
Jan 14, 2011 11:47 AM

Oct 2008
Puella Magi Mami Magica

There I fixed the title.
Jan 14, 2011 1:10 PM

Feb 2008
Yumekichi11:

Since I have not seen that anime before it's hardly for me to tell anything differents but somehow I feel I like I hear some simliar songs from somewhere.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jan 14, 2011 1:15 PM

Oct 2010
darkzero999 said:
Gunslinger + unlimited blade works... I think I'm in for a treat.
I have yet to see if Mami can pull off a world trap full of muskets TBH. She can materialize many things like Archer and she can definitely open a one shot large scale blow like Archer in Unlimited Blade Works but make no mistake she has lots to work to get towards Archer's super and that final of hers in this episode is far from what Archer may accomplish. Interesting comparing between Archer and Mami that you raised.
Yumekichi11Jan 14, 2011 2:30 PM

Jan 14, 2011 1:17 PM

Nov 2009
Kalafina is good. The battles are good. However, i rather have the things have an actual form but thats just me.

I am a little anxious since we have only seen 1 shoujo, and the main character has not decided. I know deep down that there is no need to rush when she has no wish to endanger herself for... but i really want her to figure it out already. >.>
Jan 14, 2011 1:21 PM

Aug 2008
This episode got me hyped up for the next episode.

Why cant it be next week already? ><

Jan 14, 2011 1:32 PM

Sep 2007
EMChamp said:
=
I almost immediately crossed this show off my list, being a guy, I see shoujo and stay far far away. Though some elements have me worried, I can appreciate an anime that can deliver a semi-serious plot like this, especially if the artwork and music is so transcendent.

You do realize "mahou shoujo" is quite different than the 'shoujo' genre? Look at Nanoha. Everyone's a damn mahou shoujo in it but yet it is as far away from the shoujo genre as it can get.
Jan 14, 2011 1:35 PM

Jun 2009
Episode itself was good, but the fight - gotta say it was epic. If this will keep up, i might think about giving this a fukken 10. Yeah!
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jan 14, 2011 2:34 PM

Oct 2010
Blackbird said:
Yumekichi11:

Since I have not seen that anime before it's hardly for me to tell anything differents but somehow I feel I like I hear some simliar songs from somewhere.
You should listen to it, its worlds are as fucked up as the ones here if not better plus it's a 3 OVA part of each OVA being 45 minutes I think. Not much time to waste and its eerie creepiness is great, it's another thing this anime has been able to pull off nicely but unless you have seen you may never know from my point. Regardless this is the only anime that is most recent and is closest to that musical nostalgic feeling I had back when I first listened to it. That was a while back.

Jan 14, 2011 3:23 PM

Jan 2011
Loved the creativity of the fight sequence! Looking forward to more! (:
Jan 14, 2011 4:01 PM

Feb 2009
Tons better than the first episode.I'm not a big fan of Magia but it worked so well with that gorgeous fighting sequence.

Now,on the bad side,some scenes were just 'wrongly' executed like the one where the woman tries to kill herself.Also,the character designs still irk me.

I hope the characters will be given the time to properly develop themselves.Well,I guess we'll see where it goes from here.
Urufuzu_reinJan 14, 2011 4:11 PM
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Jan 14, 2011 4:35 PM

Jun 2010
I liked the first episode a bit better. The second was a little boring. Although it explained that the enemies are witches and why Akemi was chasing them in the first episode.

And I need that Insert Song, damn.
Jan 14, 2011 5:15 PM

Nov 2008
LOL at first when they are talking about witches, I was like "Awesome, there are witches other than magical girls :3" and I was thinking about this kind of witch:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jan 14, 2011 7:44 PM

Aug 2010
I really liked the weird battles.
Jan 14, 2011 8:08 PM

Feb 2010
Arceus said:
Nice insert song and battle sequence. Never expected a mahou shoujo anime to be this entertaining.

Haven't seen Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha yet, huh?
*looks in your list*
Yep, on To-Watch if that list is up2date. I can only strongly recommend it, especially with the movie.

For the episode, that was quite some Unlimited Musket Works there.. and yay @Hercule v2 \o/ (the green haired one).
Jan 15, 2011 12:32 AM
Dec 2007
Azure_Shockwave said:
SHOTGUNS CAME OUT OF HER SKIRT. FUCK YEEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Best anime ever.

they're flint lock rifles not shotguns
shot guns dont usually have rifling

currently working on an independent story project
view it here http://firathmagi.deviantart.com/
Jan 15, 2011 1:04 AM
Mar 2010
When I first saw the monsters, I thought, "What strange looking monsters..." Then I saw the witch, a totally unexpected look. The battle sequence seems promising, I've always liked weird visuals
Jan 15, 2011 1:14 AM

Jun 2008
i'm still a little creeped out at how their classrooms look like cages
Jan 15, 2011 3:42 AM

Jan 2009
Well, kinda feels like you're on drugs when watching this, so it's definitely SHAFT alright.
Which is what I like about it. Great.
Well except for the music, which is further makes it better. But that's no big surprise.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 15, 2011 4:03 AM
Dec 2007
I'd watch this anime only for the form (direction is really creative plus also Yuki Kajiura), but the matter absolutely bores me to death. The characters are unremarkable, the script uninteresting and the structure far too simple. I feel like I've lost 24 minutes of myy life once again, so I'm dropping this.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 15, 2011 5:20 AM

Jun 2009
So far, I'm loving this. ^^ Can't wait to see more of this. :)
Jan 15, 2011 5:22 AM

Feb 2010
I wonder what her wish will be.
Jan 15, 2011 5:49 AM

Jan 2011
This episode showed a lot more promise than the first one. So there's actually some depth to the storyline involving morality etc. Also really liked the casual part of it where Madoka just lives a simple life, eats cake and such.
Jan 15, 2011 6:00 AM

Jul 2009
Entertaining, but still seems to be more style over substance. I'm looking forward to the next episode, though. I hope it will break out of that.
If any of my posts seem odd, it's probably because I'm tired. Sorry. I have sleeping issues.
Jan 15, 2011 6:38 AM

May 2009
Great second episode. The misunderstanding between the 3 friends was hilarious and what can be said about Mami except, GUNS!!! Firmly a magical girl show, but isn't overly cute and the hints of more darker elements make it pretty enjoyable to watch. Rather polished and I like the atmosphere that's been created. The witches' world where these battles take place and the witch itself are abstract/artsy, I really like (but I'd like quickly get sick of it and hate it if more shows did this). The OP song by Claris might get addictive. So far, one of my favorite shows in this, albeit not very good, season.
Jan 15, 2011 7:22 AM

Aug 2010
Those gun-magic fights are so cool ^^'

Jan 15, 2011 7:23 AM

May 2009
It bothers me how this series gives me vibes from many other shows out there, but can't manage to give me a vibe of its own. Of course, nothing out there is completely original or doesn't have influences, but Madoka fails to give me an essence of its own. Even a stupid scene of a "suicide" reminds me of another show (KnK). The "dark" style is so Cossette, it seems they just used scenes that didn't make to the original anime and are recycling them. Meh, at least Kajiura's OST is amazing as always (but then again, even her style is a bit predictable at times lol).
Jan 15, 2011 7:58 AM

May 2009
the fuck is that? can someone explain me wtf did she(madoka) fight to?
Dude seriously once again I thought I was high watching the battle scene but I wasn't!!

a witch? are you fuckin kidding me? I can't even describe what I saw. Don't get me wrong I liked the episode but .... THAT monster , witch , whatever is just fuckin' retarded!

3 more episodes to judge or I'm dropping this weird ass anime

Jan 15, 2011 8:28 AM

Sep 2010
ART in this series is superb and unique.....

Nice finishing move to a great battle......
Jan 15, 2011 9:33 AM

Feb 2008
seishi-sama said:
Mami is totally badass, too bad she's most likely a villain...

Overall, awesome show so far.
Yeah, the bit with the 'sharing of the bounty' or whatever gave off 'she's not quite as nice as I'd like to think' vibes.

Liked this episode so much more than the first.
Jan 15, 2011 10:33 AM

Nov 2010
i give them props for not taking the route of having fanservice witches, but DA-UM that thing was ugly

i can't tell if a Mahou Shoujo anime with a serious plot is amazing or blasphemy XD
Jan 15, 2011 11:00 AM

Nov 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
Aversa said:
Yumekichi11 said:
TheTimeOut said:
From what i heard this legend has also been the inspiration for many poets musicians and story writers.
Well that explains it all, thanks again friend. Guess it goes the same for Magical Girl, they sell their lives to get what they most want, the only difference goes back to between hope and despair really.
Aversa said:
The reactions of there green haired friend where great the give me a good laugh,
Hitomi was great with her reactions! Her shy side is a nice touch to her character.
Aversa said:
and the reaction of Madoka's mother was even better about taking over the company.
I like her reactions too. Kind of semi-serious and sarcastic.
lumi said:
Yumekichi11 said:
Blackbird said:
Yup, checked them out and got to admit some of the series I have seen, definitely rang the bell of awesome such as Pandora's Hearts and Mai-HiME of whom I loved the OST as well.

For Faust references: The lines concerned is about the angel's message in hope of Faust rejecting with the initial enticing of the devil, Mephistopheles, trying to make a contract with him. (Sold it to the devil), as they say. The angel's message is the context in these lines itself.
Saying that, I dont think that your conclusion is justified simply, because the context of this line is deep and hidden with meanings. Saying that, I do not have much knowledge of the play as well, (I only get the summary of play with lifted passages from wiki, and they are loaded with tonnes of reference including greek mythology, psychology and philosophy, especially those on metaphysics, epistemlogy(a tiny bit of it) and morality).
I think this anime will explain the meaning of these references in the later episode (or at least by symbology); I believe that the author also took some ideas from the play, as i concur with the previous posters.
And by saying the obvious, doesn't anyone post that these magic are just an illusion? This is a important part of the story, but i did not see anyone comment on it.
Any form of analysis is welcome here, this show could be a potentially deep show with lots of references.
And since a lot of ppl just posted on their personal opinion of the show, i will not join in the fray since this is meaningless in default.

PS: To those intrested in the context of the story of Faust.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust:_The_First_Part_of_the_Tragedy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust:_The_Second_Part_of_the_Tragedy
I hate myself. That is my philosophy.
Jan 15, 2011 11:27 AM

Apr 2009
Just like the first episode I was kind of bored of the normal everyday life bits but once they got into the magical world to track down the witch things got interesting. I'm a little disappointed Akemi isn't a witch, and that the witch while admittedly visually interesting does not make for an interesting villain with personality.

Too early to say, there' s certainly a lot of potential. Guess it doesn't mater since I'd watch it for Kajiura if nothing else.
Jan 15, 2011 11:37 AM

Apr 2008
I think this episode was much more interesting than the last episode. Hopefully the next episode will have even less school time, because those moments are when the show really drags.

Also, I'm loving the witch design! I hope they all look like that, because it's just more interesting than them looking like the dark versions of the magical girls.

And am I the only one who feels like I'm watching the anime of Yume Nikki? lol
Jan 15, 2011 1:55 PM

Jun 2008
The whole witch fight was not very exciting. It kind of seemed worse than the first episode because now it doesn't even have the element of surprise and characters meeting each other. The magical girl staff always seem very childish to me.

The only interesting part for me is what wish will they choose to make. I also assume that becoming a Magical Girl or whatever has another negative aspect that was not told considering the attitude of black haired girl.
Oh! and that animal. I hate it for some reason. Trying to be cute and all. Go burn yourself in a fire you alien freak.

Character art is not my style at all.
The show is viewable until now but nothing great really.
Jan 15, 2011 2:47 PM

Oct 2010
nerdyguy said:

For Faust references: The lines concerned is about the angel's message in hope of Faust rejecting with the initial enticing of the devil, Mephistopheles, trying to make a contract with him. (Sold it to the devil), as they say. The angel's message is the context in these lines itself.
Checked with my father who has 2 PhD and have to say it's more a challenge of God towards Mephistopheles. The angel was there only to warn.
nerdyguy said:
Saying that, I don't think that your conclusion is justified simply, because the context of this line is deep and hidden with meanings. Saying that, I do not have much knowledge of the play as well, (I only get the summary of play with lifted passages from wiki, and they are loaded with tonnes of reference including greek mythology, psychology and philosophy, especially those on metaphysics, epistemology(a tiny bit of it) and morality).
I know it's more than that. In fact only chaos ensues me when I think of correlating anything from this anime with what is so far in it but there is something. That is the suicide being done because the witch wants the soul of the girl due to the witch most likely fulfilling the girl's dreams such as where she worked at (dream job) and most likely having the best sex with many guys or with the one guy. When it was time to pay and she did not want like in Faust, it was time to take it by force, thus forced suicide and why the girl did not understand what was happening to her. Same with Faust, things went well and he never wanted to give the soul he signed off with Mephistopheles. I think I got it! Yeah!
nerdyguy said:
I think this anime will explain the meaning of these references in the later episode (or at least by symbols); I believe that the author also took some ideas from the play, as i concur with the previous posters.

I think I already got the meaning, witches trick people into selling their souls to them in order to get the best they never had or the treasures they want such as goods or money.
nerdyguy said:
And by saying the obvious, doesn't anyone post that these magic are just an illusion? This is a important part of the story, but i did not see anyone comment on it.
On both sides to spread hope and despair illusions are necessary as a form to fight the enemy, BTW magic is illusions come into form to hurt you. Like bad luck may be the wishes of someone being materialized through someone (eg: voodoo person) to you.
nerdyguy said:
Any form of analysis is welcome here, this show could be a potentially deep show with lots of references. And since a lot of ppl just posted on their personal opinion of the show, i will not join in the fray since this is meaningless in default.
Same here, I only reply to things I think are smart and can open other discussions. Well what does anyone think of this? Thanks a lot for this. I got it and talked a little with my father about it.
Yumekichi11Jan 15, 2011 3:03 PM

Jan 15, 2011 3:09 PM

Oct 2010
Blackiris said:
McRib said:
Yep, this is Urobuchi Gen alright. Absolutely incredible.
Exactly this.
If anything I am hoping a twist will happen like it did in this anime: http://myanimelist.net/anime/688/Uta_Kata ,which completely freaked me out at the end. That will be amazing if they do it like that and something like Kyubey becomes evil. I will never trust the fur ball as much as I never trusted any scum demon, like in Faust it teaches you.

Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

628 by GuhTheJado »»
May 12, 11:13 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.