Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 31, 2010 4:19 PM
Jul 2010
Do You Guys Tell People You Like Anime? I wrote something big here like a year ago, but I removed it and acted all professional cause I started getting so many replies. Anyways I usually will tell them I like anime, but it usually depends on who asks if they are some person who will like freak out about it, talk about it every 2 seconds or reference the crap out of series then I usually will act like I never heard of anime, otherwise I'll usually tell them I like it.

Recently I've been finding out a lot of my friends like anime and manga, I found out that one of my friend's favorite show's is Wolfs Rain, Another watches the mainstream ones weekly such as One Piece,Bleach,Naruto,Pokemon,etc, Another reads manga he didn't tell me which ones and a few others that didn't tel me much about what they watch/read. It's nice knowing that their are people who like the same thing as you, I know a lot of people who don't know anybody in real life who like anime, but you always have the internet xD.
VongolaXEspadaMay 29, 2015 4:58 AM
Pages (34) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 31, 2010 4:21 PM

Mar 2009
Yeah, I'm fine with tellling people only if anyone asks.
Oct 31, 2010 4:22 PM

Jun 2010
I've never had anyone hate me because I liked anime/manga. I've been bullied for other things, but as soon as I stood up for myself, people backed off. So yes, I am perfectly fine with telling people I like it. If they want to hate me for that, then that's just stupid and not my problem.
Oct 31, 2010 4:24 PM

Aug 2010
I'm fine with telling people. Why should I care what they have to say about it?
I know lots of people that like anime and are open about it. It's not a crime and it's not something to be ashamed of. I don't get bullied about it and I have tons of friends. I guess it just depends on the school. 0_o
Oct 31, 2010 4:25 PM

Jun 2010
If someone asks, sure. I'm not going to just say "o hay i liek aniem" when the conversation is nowhere in that direction.
Oct 31, 2010 4:25 PM
Jul 2018
i wouldnt go out of my way to tell someone i liked anime. if they asked i would say i doi but only if they asked. ive never had a problem with bullying for any reason so i dont worry about things like that.
Oct 31, 2010 4:29 PM

Jun 2009
Wait, people actually bully people who like anime/manga? That's pretty goddamn pathetic and I'd suggest you be a man and help her out in some way.

And, yes, I am very comfortable with the fact that I like anime. If someone doesn't like that, they can go f*ck their selves. Seriously, don't be ashamed of something you like. They are clearly in the wrong, don't let anyone dissuade you from the things you like.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 31, 2010 4:29 PM

Jul 2010
Thankfully in my country it's pretty common to like anime, so no problem here.
Oct 31, 2010 4:31 PM

Nov 2009
When I was in high school I used to keep quiet about it too, but things like that don't matter anymore once you're in college/university.
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
Oct 31, 2010 4:40 PM

May 2009
When introducing myself, I don't say "Hai! I liek anime and manga!", but if someone asks, I will tell them. My friends all know about it (and they don't really care), and that's what matters. There is a girl in my class though who is a very "big" anime fan, and any time an oppurtinity is given, she is starting to speak about them and stuff - she doesn't really have any friends and most people think she's a weirdo, so I can see why one wouldn't want to tell about it to others.

I think it's fine telling it to your friends, but shouldn't tell to every people you meet (it's true for every hobby though). As long as you are a normal fan, they won't think you are weird or anything.

And if your friends will think you are not normal for liking anime and they start to hate you - they're not really your friends.
Oct 31, 2010 4:41 PM

Jul 2009
Only if they asked.
Oct 31, 2010 4:41 PM

Jul 2008
Yes, I tell people I watch anime if they ask.

And if they are still interested, I tell them some anime titles (such as Baccano!, Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star) that they might like even if they don't really like anime.
Oct 31, 2010 4:43 PM
Oct 2010
I would if they ask or ask me what I like to do and stuff, but it won't be the first thing that comes out when I introduce myself to someone unless it's online.
Oct 31, 2010 5:10 PM

Aug 2009
I have a few anime shirts I proudly wear when I go to uni....and considering I'm 6'2 and sport tribal tatts on both arms, no one really says shit as I don't fit the whole otaku stereotype even though I pretty much am at times

..and yes, I proudly say I like anime/manga....the only one who doesn't like me on it is my gf as she says I spend more time on my hobby then on her
Oct 31, 2010 5:18 PM

Sep 2010
VongolaXEspada said:
OK, So their is this Girl at my school she likes anime/manga and stuff and because she likes that stuff and she is ok with people knowing. Everybody hates her no one likes her. She is always being bullied and stuff because she like manga/anime.

I don't tell People I Like Anime/Manga because I don't want that to happened to me, So are you ok with telling people it?

Also no this girl isn't me, so don't commenting saying "is this girl you" No its not its someone else.

Yea, soooo, they don't like her because she likes anime and manga? or is it because she won't shut up about it? there's a big difference between "Oh...yea I like anime I guess" and "ANIMAY IS DA BEST THING EVAR MY GAWD WATCH NARUTO YOU BAKA".

Nothing wrong with liking anime.
Everything wrong about being an obnoxious idiot and never shutting up.

derp.
Oct 31, 2010 5:18 PM

Jun 2009
I don't see why I'd have a problem telling people that I like anime. Though, I won't go out of my way to tell them; they'd have to ask me.
Oct 31, 2010 5:37 PM

May 2009
I don't hide my love for anime and manga but I don't flaunt it by telling everyone I know either. If they ask, I tell them. I also mention it if it naturally comes up in a conversation. For example, if they ask what my favorite tv show is. I'll be like, "I don't really like or watch much regular tv, I usually only watch anime." That type of thing.
Oct 31, 2010 5:44 PM

Jun 2009
I don't tell people that I like anime.

...because I don't talk to them.
Oct 31, 2010 5:44 PM

Sep 2010
TensaiShonen said:
I have a few anime shirts I proudly wear when I go to uni....and considering I'm 6'2 and sport tribal tatts on both arms, no one really says shit as I don't fit the whole otaku stereotype even though I pretty much am at times

..and yes, I proudly say I like anime/manga....the only one who doesn't like me on it is my gf as she says I spend more time on my hobby then on her

amen to that brother and she shouldnt care i mean i am anti social and there is nothing wrong with it.
Oct 31, 2010 6:01 PM

Nov 2009
My friends know I watch anime/read manga, and they think it is fine (otherwise they wouldn't be real friends at all). However I won't tell this in a introduction, since the first impression is always important.
Oct 31, 2010 6:07 PM

May 2009
Yea, I don't mind. I obviously won't parade around town with a megaphone telling everyone about my affinity for anime, but if a conversation is leaning towards it or if someone asks me, then sure, why not.
Oct 31, 2010 6:08 PM
Jul 2018
well, it's not like i broadcast it to everyone i come into contact with. but i'm not afraid to read manga in public or wear an anime-related shirt that i like or something like that. if someone asks about it, i explain it. if they try to make fun of me for it, i ignore them. i've never really had any serious problems because of it.
Oct 31, 2010 6:58 PM

Apr 2009
Only if someone asks or brings it up first. I don't volunteer the knowledge unless I'm joining the anime club at my university.
Oct 31, 2010 7:03 PM

Jun 2010
I don't mind telling people about it, mainly because I just don't care what people think. If they say something bad to me I'll just say, "Well I'm sorry, but that is not my problem," and continue talking about what I was talking about.
Oct 31, 2010 7:20 PM

Jul 2010
teanut said:
When I was in high school I used to keep quiet about it too, but things like that don't matter anymore once you're in college/university.

Quoted for truth. I didn't watch Anime much in Highschool anyways but I did like it but did not tell anyone because I didn't want friends to think I was pathetic. Once I was in college I didn't care about telling anyone, and they didn't care I watched it. Now that I am out of school and working from home, I don't have much people to tell anyway. :P
Nov 1, 2010 1:32 AM

Jan 2010
well...if i found someone loves anime too (from biodata, drawing ect)
i'll tell him/her i love anime/manga too ^^

well if u tell peoples in ur intro that u love anime/manga in my place...they will think u as
childish..person who have brain like a kindergarten children...wth? u_u
Nov 1, 2010 1:45 AM
May 2010
Whhhhhhat. Teenagers hating on their friends for liking anime? I still can't get used to that. Normally, I'd find the condescending adults to be the ones that condemn anime, but I assume the class your friend is in is probably filled with some studious students that find a girl to like anime to be ludicrous. Worse if it's cutesy moe anime.

My class of friends are a lazy bunch, and many of the guys here are fans of the more popular anime like One Piece, Soul Eater, or Naruto - shounen stuff - so I'm able to openly like anime, even though my taste obviously differs from them. If there's a reason I wouldn't talk to them about anime, it's because my appreciation for anime is not just filled with explosive shounen action with giant robots attacking bad guys everywhere.
OminousWrexNov 1, 2010 1:52 AM
Nov 1, 2010 1:46 AM

Sep 2010
Only if someone asks. Unless it's online or something. Because I have been teased/bullied over liking it before.
I think it's because I have a small school, so there isn't a wide variety of people and interests.
I don't wear anime themed things to school, but in class when I'm bored, I draw (manga style), so I think that's what makes people suspect I like anime.
Nov 1, 2010 2:52 AM
Jul 2010
VongolaXEspada said:
OK, So their is this Girl at my school she likes anime/manga and stuff and because she likes that stuff and she is ok with people knowing. Everybody hates her no one likes her. She is always being bullied and stuff because she like manga/anime.

I don't tell People I Like Anime/Manga because I don't want that to happened to me, So are you ok with telling people it?

Also no this girl isn't me, so don't commenting saying "is this girl you" No its not its someone else.

Sure, sure you're not her.
Nov 1, 2010 3:27 AM

May 2009
If people wanna know I tell them.
otherwise I don't.
Nov 1, 2010 3:29 AM

Sep 2009
Well, y'know, like in the army... what was that?

"Don't ask, don't tell."

Though when I consider someone as a closer friend than others, I would tell them.

Nov 1, 2010 3:31 AM

Aug 2010
If they ask, I tell them.
Nov 1, 2010 6:30 AM

Aug 2009
VongolaXEspada said:

Are you actually sure its only because she or you told people that she watches anime and nothing else? Does this girl dress and act like a normal person? Does she wear anime nerd clothes, bastardize Japanese by mixing a a few Japanese words that she knows in with english, claims she does not watch cartoons even though she admits to watching anime, occasionally dresses up as cartoon characters and sits in class all day drawing little cartoon characters? In other words a weeaboo fag? Does she do anything else to stick out? Does she dress as some faggy emo kid? Is her teeth so yellow she slows down traffic when she yawns? Is he a hair a different color once a month? Is she a band geek? Is she severely overweight Does she look like that idiot anime nerd girl who got rejected on American idol? Does she play chess or something else that would make her seem abnormal?

I do not go around telling people I watch anime.However if someone asks I will say sure I watch anime and I will also admit that I watch Simpsons, South Park, Metalocalypse, Boondocks, American Dad, Family Guy and any other cartoon out there. Watching cartoons from Japan is no different than watching cartoons from anywhere else. If go and act like some big weeaboo fag about it then you can expect people to tease you.
Nov 1, 2010 6:51 AM

Sep 2010
yeah..I'm OK with it..
in fact some of my classmates in school are curious of watching hentai so they come to me and ask if i watch anime(usually they ask me because they always see me drawing anime and stuffs) ... and if I say "yeah",
they'll keep on asking me if watching hentai is really that good?

such feeble minded pervs >.>
Nov 1, 2010 7:15 AM

Oct 2010
Anime is a part of my life,so I'm not ashamed of it! As a matter of fact,when my wife and I were dating and she came over to my home to visit I think I was watching Initial d at the time,I didn't take it off when she came. This is a form of entertainment that I enjoy and she had to accept me for who I am. Funny thing is she still married me and initial d is one of her favourite animes! :)

Nov 1, 2010 7:16 AM

Feb 2010
Whenever anyone asks or brings up the topic, im not shy =]

well its also coz im already known as the 'jock' so doesnt really bother me xD
KimuraNov 29, 2010 7:50 PM

Nov 1, 2010 8:09 AM

Oct 2010
I have always been very protective of my Internet life, and that would include watching anime, discussing it, and many other "fan" topics I have talked about at boards since 2005 or so.

As the years go by I am starting to stop caring about these things. Most of my friends don't watch anime, so I don't feel the need to tell them anything, but if they brought the topic I wouldn't be reluctant to express my point of view.
Nov 1, 2010 8:13 AM

Feb 2010
Don't do it keep it a secret but it's okay if you have other friends who enjoy anime. Take that one anime "Ore no Imouta-" for example.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 1, 2010 8:59 AM

Jun 2010
i only tell when i am asked. I actually had some classmates who like animes.
I hate it how easily someone gets judged negatively because of being an otaku.
Nov 1, 2010 9:55 AM

Nov 2008
MelbShaw said:
Don't do it keep it a secret but it's okay if you have other friends who enjoy anime. Take that one anime "Ore no Imouta-" for example.

No, you know good and well that'll end badily, what happened to Kirino can happen to you. I suggest you:

1. Only tell if you are asked.

2. Only tell your friends that you watch anime (if you aren't asked).

Nov 1, 2010 10:53 AM
Sep 2010
wow i never had a problem like that when i was at school.
but im not a school no more
I had friends at school that like anime also in my school they don't care on what you like.
Ammy90Nov 1, 2010 10:58 AM
Nov 1, 2010 11:42 AM

Oct 2008
I have no problem telling people I like it if they ask. In high school most people who knew me knew I liked anime and didn't have a problem with it, being pres. of your high school anime club is kinda hard to hide XD. Now in college people know too, I gave a speech on it to my speech class, no one treats me any different now.

I guess it just depends on the people around you?
Nov 1, 2010 11:52 AM

Sep 2009
If someone asks me directly I won't lie and say I don't like it but I normally don't bring it up.

My friends are what got me into anime and manga so if I really need to talk anime I can talk to them about it.
Nov 1, 2010 12:04 PM

Jan 2010
I will, but only if someone asks. No one ever harassed me in college for liking anime. However, I don't talk about it much, because I've noticed most people in real life don't seem to know very much about anime, so I can't talk about it much.

However, I will share this, when I was still in high school, I was harassed for not liking anime and manga. I swear to god I'm not making this up. I am the only person in the world to be harassed for not outright whoring myself to anime. In my defense though, just about all anime available in America at that time sucked, so really, they should not have been surprised that I'd favor Futurama over Inuyasha.

However, I have been bullied for liking cartoons in general. Apparently, all boys over the age of 13 that still enjoy cartoons are "pussies." Does it surprise anyone that I hate a large majority of the human race?
"Simply by the presence of butthurt, this level of reasoning is possible for Furudo Erika. What do you think, everyone?"
Nov 1, 2010 2:03 PM
Jan 2008
I'm embarrassed to tell mainly women that I like anime. If she asks what my interests are, I want to keep it hidden.
Nov 1, 2010 7:20 PM

Oct 2010
It's a chore with all the glaring and stuff but if I feel comfortable, I'll tell them.
Nov 1, 2010 7:33 PM

May 2010
Unless someone asks I don't say it
Nov 1, 2010 7:37 PM
Sep 2009
I go to a school were 80 percent of the population is Filipino. Coming out and showing your inner otaku isn't really a big deal lol
Nov 1, 2010 8:14 PM
Sep 2010
I've been an anime fans for more than a decade and I have no problem telling people im an otaku and gamer, which also got my my job.

my anime club teases me because I use crunchyroll to stream my anime since my dorm has crap internet service but others share animes with me so I can catch up on newer series.

Overall alot of my friends are the same way both male and female so its not a bad thing, and my others that arent otakus dont mind.
Nov 1, 2010 8:24 PM

May 2010
I am definitely fine with telling people. But it is not something that I go around broadcasting either. If I'm asked what I like I would say anime with a whole bunch of other stuff.
Pages (34) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does Manhwa Anime reflect the Plastic Surgery Culture of Korea?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

9 by ST63LTH »»
34 seconds ago

» If you could change one anime into being a hardcore ecchi, which one would you pick?

APolygons2 - Yesterday

32 by DesuMaiden »»
50 seconds ago

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming?

tappioca - 24 minutes ago

21 by Coaghim »»
52 seconds ago

» dark humor in anime

deg - 56 minutes ago

10 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» Does your waifu know how to strike a good pose?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

8 by ST63LTH »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.