Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 12, 2010 10:23 PM

Jan 2010
"The katanas have too much design freedom!" ROFL

If only this show had a little more budget... it would have been perfect.
Jul 12, 2010 10:50 PM

Feb 2008
I agree about the budget - the show could have be truly amazing. - I don't know if I care for the new haircut but it definitely makes her look more action figure-ish. - Not my favorite ep but a good one
Jul 12, 2010 11:42 PM

Dec 2009
MorningGlory said:
vault2049 said:
MorningGlory said:
randywmorgan17 said:
"They are a sword who cannot use a sword."

because they are sword just like the other sword....
I think you spoiled the entire plot my friend (even if it was obvious) thank you very, very much...
Actually my sentence is no much difference compare to "They are a sword who cannot use a sword".Sword is just Sword.How can A sword use a sword......
No one understand this sentence unless they watch till the end.If you understand it,then just message me in my profile and let me know that you really know....

Now I am trying to puzzle out this mystery and coming up with all sorts of absurd ideas. (I should just go to bed....)
Jul 13, 2010 12:13 AM

Jan 2008
I'm going to miss Nanami...I really liked her. I loved this episode as it had be in total awe and I was also bawling by the end. This episode really exceeded my expectations...but now I expect the rest to be even better! ...although I can already see myself being a bit disappointed at one point or another within the last 5 episodes. Although what I still don't get is...why was Nanami unable to die an ordinary death? shouldn't her weak body eventually give away, if old age or illness doesn't kick in first? Her fighting skills are strong, but her body isn't...Oh well, my guess is that she didn't want to live as an outcast by her father, calling her a monster and all, or she didn't want to live through the suffering of having a frail body not being able to handle her immense strength, or she wanted to be killed by Shichika rather than let her own weakness or some illness kill her off. In any case, She looked satisfied as she was still his older sister to the end (on the inside) and seemed to really love Shichika, as evident by the last flashback scene of their childhood...which was so incredibly sweet that I teared.

I also love Togame's new haircut.

And dammit, spoilers....really takes the excitement out of things and leaves me with dissatisfaction and/or disappointment instead. I guess that was my fault for underestimating the spoiler button.
Jul 13, 2010 12:16 AM

Oct 2009
4kicks said:
I'm going to miss Nanami...I really liked her. I loved this episode as it had be in total awe and I was also bawling by the end. This episode really exceeded my expectations...but now I expect the rest to be even better! ...although I can already see myself being a bit disappointed at one point or another within the last 5 episodes. Although what I still don't get is...why was Nanami unable to die an ordinary death? shouldn't her weak body eventually give away, if old age or illness doesn't kick in first? Her fighting skills are strong, but her body isn't...Oh well, my guess is that she didn't want to live as an outcast by her father, calling her a monster and all, or she didn't want to live through the suffering of having a frail body not being able to handle her immense strength, or she wanted to be killed by Shichika rather than let her own weakness or some illness kill her off. In any case, She looked satisfied as she was still his older sister to the end (on the inside) and seemed to really love Shichika, as evident by the last flashback scene of their childhood...which was so incredibly sweet that I teared.

I also love Togame's new haircut.

And dammit, spoilers....really takes the excitement out of things and leaves me with dissatisfaction and/or disappointment instead. I guess that was my fault for underestimating the spoiler button.

You sir, is great.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2010 12:30 AM

Jan 2009
wow so the reason why nanami copies other peoples abilities is to make herself weaker and thus making her live more because using only her power will make her body overload and boom her body will self-destruct
Jul 13, 2010 1:36 AM

Sep 2007
It's what amapressing. :)
Anyways, loved this episode, same if i have been trolled. XD
Jul 13, 2010 3:20 AM

Sep 2008
I don't know if I should be depressed or happy now that Nanami's gone. She played the antagonist well(very well indeed I might add) in this episode specially when she cut Togame's hair which even roused whatever feelings I had for her. On one end Togame is left with a bob-cut, and on the other, we say farewell to Nanami....I should say this was a sh!t episode due to losing a great character but I'm loving it even more...

R.I.P Nanami...you will be missed

Jul 13, 2010 9:43 AM

Dec 2009
4kicks said:

I know right? I pressed that spoiler button too. I've got into the bad habit of just thinking that they are pictures instead of actual spoilers. And that was one hell of a spoiler :(

So, if any one has not yet pressed DoubleDango's spoiler on page 1.... DO NOT DO IT!
Jul 13, 2010 10:14 AM

Jul 2009
ilikeyouevenmore said:

So, if any one has not yet pressed DoubleDango's spoiler on page 1.... DO NOT DO IT!

^^^^^^

Also, spoiler tags are to be used for information BEYOND the CURRENT episode, not to hide shit like Nanami's death or Togame's hair.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Jul 13, 2010 10:22 AM
Jun 2008
wheresthehandle said:
ilikeyouevenmore said:

^^^^^^

Also, spoiler tags are to be used for information BEYOND the CURRENT episode, not to hide shit like Nanami's death or Togame's hair.
Actually Togame's cut hair is spoiled in the preview of episode 6.....I am very surprised they notice it
Jul 13, 2010 10:28 AM

Jul 2009
MorningGlory said:
wheresthehandle said:
ilikeyouevenmore said:

^^^^^^

Actually Togame's cut hair is spoiled in the preview of episode 6.....I am very surprised they notice it

Nanami's death is too, but what I mean is spoiler tags should be used to hide information present in official media occurring after the current episode. Basically, only hide stuff from the novels that hasn't happened in the anime yet! If people keep hiding common knowledge in spoiler tags, I'll get screwed like I did on page 1.... DAMMIT DANGO!
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
you are not alone.
Jul 13, 2010 10:37 AM
Jun 2008
wheresthehandle said:
MorningGlory said:
wheresthehandle said:
ilikeyouevenmore said:

^^^^^^

Nanami's death is too, but what I mean is spoiler tags should be used to hide information present in official media occurring after the current episode. Basically, only hide stuff from the novels that hasn't happened in the anime yet! If people keep hiding common knowledge in spoiler tags, I'll get screwed like I did on page 1.... DAMMIT DANGO!
I didn't spoil Nanami's death.they all predict it themself and I don't even dare to discuss about that matter....it seem the preview is the most biggest spoiler I known.Even the Novel's preview doesn't spoil so much compare to the preview in the Anime.The preview for this episode almost spoil everything for the next episode......almost.
Jul 13, 2010 10:54 AM

Jan 2010
I cried myself to sleep last night...

also,
Dear Math,
I'm not a therapist. Solve your own problems.

Oh, and Algebra?
Stop asking us to find your ex, she's NEVER coming back.
Jul 13, 2010 12:37 PM

May 2010
Nanami should've learned Maniwa Kyouken's technique to transfer into another body. That would have been so cash.
Jul 13, 2010 3:35 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
;_;

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 13, 2010 4:50 PM

Dec 2009
that episode was clearly way to early... that's something for the final but not the middle of the whole thing :-/

and the explanation is just wishy-washy bullshit...

that just ruined the anime for me... if you bring up such an episode, damn do it right! and don't try to puke out such a lame background. kill me i am not capable of beeing alive...

just ready for the lunatic asylum.
Jul 13, 2010 4:58 PM
Jun 2008
Neodym said:
that episode was clearly way to early... that's something for the final but not the middle of the whole thing :-/

that just ruined the anime for me... if you bring up such an episode, damn do it right! and don't try to puke out such a lame background. kill me i am not capable of beeing alive...

Powerful last boss should be in the end???
To bad this Anime is not about fighting,This Anime is about the "sword" .
Jul 13, 2010 5:18 PM

Jun 2009
MorningGlory said:
vault2049 said:
MorningGlory said:
randywmorgan17 said:
"They are a sword who cannot use a sword."

because they are sword just like the other sword....
I think you spoiled the entire plot my friend (even if it was obvious) thank you very, very much...
Actually my sentence is no much difference compare to "They are a sword who cannot use a sword".Sword is just Sword.How can A sword use a sword......
No one understand this sentence unless they watch till the end.If you understand it,then just message me in my profile and let me know that you really know....

Actually with that one sentence I pretty much figured it out.
Well done, dipshit.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Jul 13, 2010 5:32 PM

Dec 2009
MorningGlory said:
Neodym said:

Powerful last boss should be in the end???
To bad this Anime is not about fighting,This Anime is about the "sword" .

if you pull it that way she is the most powerfull "sword"...
Jul 13, 2010 5:38 PM

Jul 2009
Swords are swords who swords do not use swords can not use swords for swords..... yeah.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
you are not alone.
Jul 13, 2010 9:17 PM
Jun 2008
AidanAK47 said:

Well done, dipshit.
Even if you figured it out,it has no meaning in it...unless you finished the last episode....
I didn't mention what kind of sword that Togame carry.....actually my spoiler is only half true,because I only spoil half of the truth....
Actually it is very obvious that Togame is carrying a sword name Shichika during the whole journey...but just like what Nanami said,Shichika is a bit rusty during the journey.that is why Nanami is a bit regretful of giving Shichika to Togame,because Shichika has become a bit hesitated to kill Nanami....(and again this sentence has a different meaning in it,but now it is entirely meaningless unless you watch episode 11....)

flame_master_14 said:
I cried myself to sleep last night...

also,

Your guess is only half correct...

Neodym said:

Most powerful "sword" with a hole in it....
MorningGloryJul 13, 2010 9:54 PM
Jul 14, 2010 12:31 AM

Dec 2009
MorningGlory said:

Neodym said:

Most powerful "sword" with a hole in it....

yup and that's what i've said a fucked story...
Jul 14, 2010 5:45 AM

Jun 2009
MorningGlory said:
AidanAK47 said:

Well done, dipshit.
Even if you figured it out,it has no meaning in it...unless you finished the last episode....
I didn't mention what kind of sword that Togame carry.....actually my spoiler is only half true,because I only spoil half of the truth....
Actually it is very obvious that Togame is carrying a sword name Shichika during the whole journey...but just like what Nanami said,Shichika is a bit rusty during the journey.that is why Nanami is a bit regretful of giving Shichika to Togame,because Shichika has become a bit hesitated to kill Nanami....(and again this sentence has a different meaning in it,but now it is entirely meaningless unless you watch episode 11....)

Quiet you!
I told you that I figured it out. I have a very good idea. But you don't have to go and confirm it for Christ sake!
Just stay quiet. Don't give hints or don't say anything about what will happen or anything else. Just talk about what has already happened. It's easy. So just do it.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Jul 14, 2010 7:18 AM

Jun 2009
I never liked Nanami so I don't care if she died, either way I'm happy that she died. Nice episode, but the animation is kinda...not so good. For the preview, it looks awesome and I hope they don't troll us again like last time.

Togame with short hair is pretty cute, I like girls with short hair:D

Jul 14, 2010 8:44 AM

Jul 2007
it's quite sad to see how things turn out, i love the sister! too bad...it was just too bad.. oh and Togame new hair style? emm.. i prefer her long hair...
Jul 14, 2010 9:08 AM
Jun 2008
here a small clue/flashback (This is not a spoiler,the fact below was from episode 1 !!!!!)
If you think you have understand episode 1,then you can skip my boring lecture....
MorningGloryJul 14, 2010 9:14 AM
Jul 14, 2010 11:44 AM
Jun 2010
wheresthehandle said:
ilikeyouevenmore said:

^^^^^^

Damn you DoubleDango !!!!!! :/

This episode was ok. The RPG animation was funny.

Jul 14, 2010 12:56 PM

Apr 2007
This is the first episode since the 2nd where I felt bored in the middle. Tis a shame.

The animation was amusing at times, but I still didn't like it. Glad it's back to normal for the next episode.
And I'm going to miss Nanami. Although I honestly didn't feel sad for her death until hearing the ending song. So lovely ;___;
Jul 14, 2010 9:03 PM
Mar 2009
lol rpg elements awesome. anime/video game crossover
eh shes dead life moves on she freaked me out anyways
good episode i guess

True or False
Anime + Manga = Chuck Norris / Chuck Norris
Jul 14, 2010 9:12 PM

Nov 2007
Kinda disappointed! I really like Nanami; she's so insane. But I think this episode would have been better if it was later on in the show (ep 11 or 12ish).
Jul 14, 2010 10:17 PM

Feb 2008
just how insane did she have to get. in the end she and to die. it is unfortunate but oh well.

RIP togane's hair
Jul 15, 2010 12:10 AM

Jul 2008
so she was so strong that she actually had to copy others to get weaker, that's insane!
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Jul 15, 2010 1:55 PM

Jun 2008
Wow. I didn't even know what to think. I got so many chills. I love the dialogue as always, and I couldn't help but tear up badly towards the end. I didn't even really fancy the sister, I thought she was a monster, but I mean. Wow. Then after the credits, I cried.

And Togame's hair looks cute, at least.
Jul 15, 2010 8:41 PM

Feb 2009
This episode is good or is it bad. We'll miss you Manami I wish I could see more of you, you certainly amazing.
Jul 15, 2010 9:44 PM

Oct 2009
MorningGlory said:
wheresthehandle said:
MorningGlory said:
wheresthehandle said:
ilikeyouevenmore said:

^^^^^^

I didn't spoil Nanami's death.they all predict it themself and I don't even dare to discuss about that matter....it seem the preview is the most biggest spoiler I known.Even the Novel's preview doesn't spoil so much compare to the preview in the Anime.The preview for this episode almost spoil everything for the next episode......almost.

Yes! My master plan of sharing the pain of getting spoiled! Yes!
No, seriously I'm sorry.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2010 4:05 AM

Nov 2009
I was quite surprised at the whole Nanami thing when it popped up at the end of episode 6.

However I enjoyed it as she truly was a beast in every sense of the word combat wise.
Jul 16, 2010 3:55 PM

Mar 2009
Watermelon... T__T

There was a post on another forum(animesuki, to be specific), prior to this episode's airing, that mentioned the different style for this episode. According to the staff, they wanted to bring it closer to the original artist's illustrations, amongst other things. Given this episode's importance, I guess they wanted to play around and make it unique, but I feel like it hurt the episode a little bit. I would've liked for things to have been more serious, instead of adding in the video game-esque portion with Nanami and other stylish scenes. It came off as too lighthearted at times. On the other hand, the final confrontation between Nanami and Shichika was excellent. Sad to see her go, since she was such a great character, but I guess the story needs to move on and reinforce Shichika and Togame's relationship. After all, they only have each other.

Also, these spoilers. Guys. You're killing me here.
Jul 16, 2010 10:49 PM

Dec 2008
I was dreading this episode for a month since some bitch narrator had to spoil it for me.

Seriously fuck you narrator.
Jul 17, 2010 5:53 AM

Jan 2008
ilikeyouevenmore said:
4kicks said:

I know right? I pressed that spoiler button too. I've got into the bad habit of just thinking that they are pictures instead of actual spoilers. And that was one hell of a spoiler :(

srsly.. I thought the same T___T
Jul 17, 2010 7:54 PM

Aug 2008
This show never disappoints when it come to the unconventional. She definitely was a monstrous presence on the show. An awkward one, too. I'm gonna miss her.

By the way, that cute little moment after the ending credits, unnecessary. I was already feeling a little sad. And then you show cute little child version of them sleeping and eating watermelon under the tree. Too cruel.

Jul 18, 2010 8:51 AM
Sep 2008
It was very unique, awesome and outstanding episode, i liked the way they directed the episode.
As usual The dialogue is so entertaining.
However, i think Nanami death is too early, why they didn't make it after couple of episodes?
Jul 18, 2010 4:51 PM
Jul 2009
I think the ep was awsome, not entirely glad with how Nanami's charachter played out, but I did sort of figure she was going to die, when she was left out of the mission from episode one. I mean you can't leave a young girl alone like that for no good reason, so I expected something. Just didn't expect her to be a duble edged sword to her self, I wouldn't call her evil, her acts were her own decision as the only thing she could do. I suppose if she met the right master or something, she could have survived but it didn't happen. Even though she died and did so by baiting Shichika along, she was cool too the end, she even showed her brother how to perfect his skill, gave Togame a nice hair cut, and atoned for her own killing. thats a cool character in my book.
Markr24Jul 18, 2010 4:57 PM
Jul 18, 2010 6:36 PM

Oct 2008
noteDhero said:
I'd say this was second to worst. The worst is absolutely the first episode for me. The 2D stuff was a clever way to sidestep the fact that they had a smaller budget for the episode, but every other facet of the production seemed very cheap in a way that was disappointingly unexpected, especially for such a tense moment of development for Shichika and Nanami's death. Since she's my favorite character on the show, and just one of my favorite characters in a while, I'm very sad that this didn't really capture a whole lot of her despair the way her devoted episode did.

I can't tell if we just have opposite tastes or there is just something about this anime that makes everyone in the audience have mixed reactions for different reasons. I'm not sure if this was my favorite favorite episode so far, but I actually liked it a lot, even with the whole role-playing/retro gaming cutscenes thrown into the episode. And something about the general art direction that made it feel less generic from your average anime and more-so a unique design that tried to stay as true to the original material visually as possible (I'm assuming that was the case anyway. I've only seen a couple of artworks from the novel/light novel).

But I really need to ask, and I'm not trying to start a very heated debate or anything. Just what exactly is the general audience suppose to expect out of watching this anime in which they feel they were fully entertained? Meaning what kind of direction storytelling wise, art wise, etc. is the audience meant to get by watching Katanagatari? Or rather what is everyone suppose to get out of the way he tells this story (assuming the author is male)?

It seems that whenever anyone watches Katanagatari, they get mixed reactions for different reasons. They'll love some episodes and dislike others. Some will love the dialogue, others won't get it. Some will love the artstyle, others won't. Thus it feels kinda hard to make heads or tails out of this anime. It's probably why I've stayed away from watching Bakemonogatari all this time. I've seen the first episode-in-a-half of that show about a year ago and while it seemed interesting, I failed to understand the excitement and praise behind those that watch this show. And if I watched it from start to finish, then I fear I would not get a very positive reaction out of this show and trying to comprehend the hype behind it would frustrate the hell out of me.

But at any rate, my point is in the case of Katanagatari, is there some specific way you need to enjoy this show that I don't seem to know about? I'm merely asking for clarity at this point.
Jul 18, 2010 6:57 PM

Aug 2008
I'll say this one super elitist thing and then move on: I feel like art in it's truest form is personal, evoking a strong emotional reaction. And thus far, I do believe Katanagatari to be one of the shows that is very artful and entertaining at the same time. I personally had problems with the way this episode was done, and I made speculation as to why that is, but that's not to say that I didn't enjoy it. I gave it a 4/5 because I still enjoyed the episode a lot on the whole.

For me, because Nanami is supposed to be the strongest in Japan, a monster from birth, I needed the animation and tension to really support that. I wanted to feel like this was a battle between titans, and instead it felt like a challenge only slightly above last month. In a way, the comic, top-down RPG stuff really detracted from the atmosphere that I was anticipating the episode to have. This wasn't in a funny way like the troll episode that actually ended up being all about Nanami, so I can't really see any justification for a lot of the decisions that undercut the tone.

Now, I'm just one person, though, and a lot of other people responded in the opposite direction, so it is what it is.

I'd say it's the same for Bakemonogatari. You may find aspects of that show that you really love or really hate; you might love the whole thing; you might hate the whole thing; or maybe you'll be indifferent. Look at the hype for what it is. At the end of the day, a lot of people love the show because at it's base level, Bakemongatari is a harem that panders to a few major types. I love it for the dialogue and the relationship between the leads as expressed through it. Other people hated it for that very reason. It's up to you.
Jul 19, 2010 5:25 AM

Aug 2009
Nooooo! Not her pretty hair! The new style does look hot though. Loved the slightly different art style and the video game parts. Very cool.
Jul 19, 2010 10:01 AM
Nov 2008
I don't think there's ever been a case in anime where I've been satisfied with long hair being cut short. This is no exception -.-
Jul 19, 2010 11:20 AM
Jun 2008
@noteDhero
How powerful you want Nanami to be? Killing Shichika in one blow? LOL
Jul 19, 2010 2:24 PM

Aug 2008
Huh?
Nanami needed to die for the story. I just wish the fight would have been better (ie. good). In my perfect world, though, this show would have been about her, she would have joined Shichika and Togame, cock-blocking the whole journey-long.
Jul 19, 2010 5:06 PM
Jun 2008
If Nanami join Shichika,then the explanation of Shichika killing his father wouldn't fit in the story.
If Nanami is not a genius in the first place, her father would have threat her better.
If Nanami doesn't have his stupid sickness, She would have die during the maniwani fight .
If Nanami doesn't has a big reason to fight Shichika(such as killing herself),She wouldn't even have left that island and killing of Itezora clan and wipe out he entire priest in the forsaken mountain.
If Nanami didn't wipe out the clan of Itezora clan, then Shichika won't be dealing with simple minded kids that protect the sword solely because of loneliness.
Anyway, since I am late for my work maybe I should just get straight to the point LOL
I don't like clichéd in the story...
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Apr 22, 6:30 AM

» END SPOILERS - I’ve Never Witnessed Such Epic Implosion

deaf_amish_guy - Jun 6, 2020

10 by Nesquikscope »»
Mar 31, 1:16 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

333 by Dumb »»
Jul 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.