Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2010 9:11 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This is probably going to get a 10 from me.It's so underrated it hurts.I'm kinda tired of Manaka appearing everywhere with her giggle.You'd think they'd be a little more subtle.
Urufuzu_reinJul 19, 2010 4:27 AM
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Jul 17, 2010 12:26 PM
Mar 2010
Everyone has serious mental problems. Im interested in howw will they end all this.
Jul 19, 2011 9:49 PM

Dec 2009
People in this series are creepy, can't wait to see what's going to happen next
Sep 27, 2012 2:56 PM

Aug 2010
Just revert to your childhood life and all problems are solved, so says this anime.
Sep 27, 2012 3:19 PM
Sep 2009
dusFlaesPhan said:
Just revert to your childhood life and all problems are solved, so says this anime.

Wrong. That is actually the opposite of what it is saying.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Sep 30, 2012 1:27 PM

Apr 2012
judojon said:
dusFlaesPhan said:
Wrong. That is actually the opposite of what it is saying.
It still says that's what some of the characters think.

And another great episode. A little tamer on the mindfuckness (less drones and weirdness), and yet still very effective in dismanteling the oppressiveness of everyday life. I also like the reuse of characters, it adds to the overall depths feeling the anime gives. Only 3 to go.
Jan 15, 2013 9:03 PM

Jun 2008
Really enjoyed this episode. Poom Poom taking the childhoods of disillusioned teens really added another layer to everything. Looking forward to having more questions about him, Manticore, and Boogiepop answered in the final 3 episodes. Really solid series thus far.
Feb 5, 2013 4:07 PM
Apr 2012
I'm actually someone who gets a bit annoyed at the "childhood is perfect" theme, and I can say that I liked this episode quite a bit. If you think that was the point the anime was trying to get across, you gravely misunderstood it. I suggest you re-watch this episode, and pay more attention the subtle dialogue that says otherwise.
Aug 21, 2013 10:52 AM

Aug 2012
Looking at how Japan is the most workaholic country, it's no wonder they wish to stay young at heart.
Jun 23, 2014 1:15 AM
Jun 2013
wow that girl was killed off super fast.Kinda sad that one dumb teacher got her like that.Im guessing when she saw something that triggered her real world stress she snapped.I always thought mind reading powers were more of a curse if anything.Im curious if this kid knows he turning everyone basically into child like vegetables.This show sure loves killing people and making them vanish.
Jul 2, 2014 12:03 AM

Jul 2008
That teacher was a true bitch, reminds me of the psycho doc. Also I'm not sure if I'm liking this kid at all.
Dec 1, 2014 9:28 PM

Dec 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. The 1st portion really touches up on how many people cope with not realizing their dreams & ambitions as they grow older by tolerating the alternative. It really was depressing to watch and ponder on. The second part sheds light on the role electromagnetic waves play among these composite humans.
Dec 30, 2015 8:00 AM

May 2011
souledge94 said:
wow that girl was killed off super fast.Kinda sad that one dumb teacher got her like that.Im guessing when she saw something that triggered her real world stress she snapped.I always thought mind reading powers were more of a curse if anything.Im curious if this kid knows he turning everyone basically into child like vegetables.This show sure loves killing people and making them vanish.

Precisely. What else is the theme of the 'Pied Piper of Hamelin', whom was initially represented by Mamoru's past (resulting in his hatred for 'useless things' in the world), which is eventually corrupted and manifested into Poom Poom, for?

Regardless, I am getting rather confused over Phantom's current role, given that it should be confirmed that she took away Mamoru and his sister to supposed death. If so, why did he, in a different form (Poom Poom), still exist to lure more people to their regressive state? Can it be that it is Phantom's true aim - to lure trouble teens into eternal 'utopia', or to actually save them? As compared to the role of Manticore, which is much more concrete - simply to survive, while accompanying Saotome to fulfill his desire of a 'New World Order' in a win-win situation.

Another doubt I would have is - what happened to the original Boogiepop? Did it just disappear to re-exist as the Phantom? According to what I can internalise, Boogiepop exists to foil Manticore and to conserve what is left of the human race. Whereas Boogiepop Phantom seems to encourage the existence of 'evolved' beings...out of the need to exist? From the final scene it implies that EM waves can be conserved as long as the recruitment of more 'children' is halted, hence the reason why Phantom has to make sure those teens don't regress into 'kids'.

As much as I may, I would like to see more Touka and Nagi action, which is still passive at this juncture while this episode goes back into seemingly 'unrelated' characters again. Wrapping things up would prove to be difficult if this anime decides to link all there is together again (especially the significance of episode 6: Shizue and her mother, since we roughly know the role of Mamoru of episode 7 already). I am also under the assumption that the emphasis of episodes 1-4 on the main story is already complete as well, which may not be true (1 being the existence of Manticore and his/her relationship with Saotome; 2 being the power of the 'drug' and the explanation of Manaka's prowesses; 3 being the revelation of Manticore's true objectives and Boogiepop's role; 4 being the modus operandi of Saotome/Manticore and the light's existence)

5/5 for answering the fundamental doubts of previous episodes: Phantom's role, Mamoru's significance, the light's significance.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Mar 5, 2017 2:28 AM

Feb 2016
Man, this show really knows how to make you feel in the dumps. Words cannot describe how torn up I get watching this. Getting to the end, I'm interested in seeing how they will wrap this up.

At first, a lot of people remarked upon how similar it was to Serial Experiments Lain. Definitely, especially the general atmosphere and the escapism to an electromagnetic analog/digitised constructed reality. But the more episodes we cover, the more I feel it edging closer and closer towards Paranoia Agent at its essence.
Cloud_IllusionsMar 5, 2017 2:36 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Mar 24, 2017 12:02 PM

May 2012
Quite impressive episode, especially that ending was quite interesting!
Jun 16, 2017 6:25 AM
Nov 2015
ONE OF THE BEST.
squashed dreams. Had a brush with reality and your dreams become hopeless. looking for a kingdom of children.
Seiji's third is gorgeous. Mobile phone God. I love the piano music playing thru his story. His face reflected on the red balloon is creepy.
I think I'm figuring out the child and stuttering girl's place in the plot. They seem innocuous, like the good guys. But they are distributing false promise and illusions. The one with evil face (Boogiepop phantom) is actually the good one, helping the enhanced humans reconnect w reality.
Jun 16, 2017 6:29 AM
Nov 2015
Rosny said:
Man, this show really knows how to make you feel in the dumps. Words cannot describe how torn up I get watching this. Getting to the end, I'm interested in seeing how they will wrap this up.

At first, a lot of people remarked upon how similar it was to Serial Experiments Lain. Definitely, especially the general atmosphere and the escapism to an electromagnetic analog/digitised constructed reality. But the more episodes we cover, the more I feel it edging closer and closer towards Paranoia Agent at its essence.

If Paranoid Agent is like this, I'm gonna watch it now. I'm putting it off cuz I'm saving my last Satoshi Kon thing.
I think the episodic but "everything is connected" structure rocks.
Lain don't have his structure. It's only telling about Lain mostly. I don't like that as much as Boogiepop, mainly because I can't understand it. That needs a fix, I need to rewatch really, cuz I remember the style and atmosphere of Boogiepop is similar to Lain, and given even a more weird and disturbing treatment there.
Jun 16, 2017 6:41 AM

Feb 2016
Sean_Nessman said:
Rosny said:

If Paranoid Agent is like this, I'm gonna watch it now. I'm putting it off cuz I'm saving my last Satoshi Kon thing.
Lain don't have his structure. It's only telling about Lain mostly. I don't like that as much as Boogiepop, mainly because I can't understand it. That needs a fix, I need to rewatch really, cuz I remember the style and atmosphere of Boogiepop is similar to Lain, and given even a more weird and disturbing treatment there.

To each their own. Paranoia Agent and Serial Experiments Lain are one of my favourites because they are such timeless classics. It's not an anime that is exceptional only for a first watch. It only gets better with each rewatch, and each watch may impart a different feeling and understanding of the series. Paranoia Agent is far more grounded in its theme and relevancy to the viewer, especially in Japan.
Jun 16, 2017 7:09 AM
Nov 2015
Rosny said:
Sean_Nessman said:

To each their own. Paranoia Agent and Serial Experiments Lain are one of my favourites because they are such timeless classics. It's not an anime that is exceptional only for a first watch. It only gets better with each rewatch, and each watch may impart a different feeling and understanding of the series. Paranoia Agent is far more grounded in its theme and relevancy to the viewer, especially in Japan.

Not horror genre per se, but hellll they're like the most horrifying animes I've watched. I remember the cop episode of Boogiepop (ep 5?), when there're all these black frames, and I was positive that there would be a white face popping out.
And I remember being so scared of Lain that I only watched 1 ep per evening. That's why I don't get it? Maybe it's better just to watch in 1 go. Anyway, the river of blood on the street, the music, the use of noise, silence , shadows is immaculate. Just don't get the plot.
Jun 16, 2017 11:11 PM

Feb 2016
Sean_Nessman said:

Not horror genre per se, but hellll they're like the most horrifying animes I've watched. I remember the cop episode of Boogiepop (ep 5?), when there're all these black frames, and I was positive that there would be a white face popping out.
And I remember being so scared of Lain that I only watched 1 ep per evening. That's why I don't get it? Maybe it's better just to watch in 1 go. Anyway, the river of blood on the street, the music, the use of noise, silence , shadows is immaculate. Just don't get the plot.

Apr 23, 2018 7:17 PM

Feb 2013
Yea, I totally know exactly what's going on. /lies

Tragic... piano girl...
Mar 9, 2019 2:12 AM

Dec 2015
I loved those girls cases where they run away to their childhood once their dream for the future is crushed.

5/5
Mar 19, 2021 2:00 PM

Jan 2015
I see many people are getting confused that this episode was trying to tell u that reverting to your childhood will solve your problems. It doesn't say that at all. It's actually trying to tell you that looking in the past will damage your present self.
Mar 23, 2021 1:56 PM

Aug 2017
Saki's story, she was convincing herself that playing piano was her dream. However, playing piano was something her parents wanted. The way that "her dreams" get devastated by the teacher. This show is something special.

Apr 15, 2021 9:09 PM

Aug 2017
Saki just commited suicide after facing the piano again, ah RIP. The bug guy reappeared again. This anime is getting more and more understandable.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 23, 2021 2:28 PM

Jul 2014
I get the comparisons between this and Serial Experiments Lain, especially from an aesthetic standpoint, but I think it has a lot more in common narratively with Paranoia Agent.
Take care of yourself

Jul 15, 2021 5:00 PM
Nov 2020
An excellent and memorable episode.
Jul 24, 2021 10:56 PM

Mar 2018
Scene 001 of this episode really missed with me, being within the creative field, it always pains me to bear storylines that portray the potential darker reality of pursuing ones dreams
Aug 12, 2022 4:30 AM

Jun 2020
Another great episode. Though I'm beginning to think that it's not as trippy as it was anymore. The dialogues don't have that weird echoing noises anymore. But still, it's a masterpiece. I have a feeling that this might end up in my Top 5.

Nov 11, 2022 3:03 PM

Jan 2010
"Mythical places are created through escapism. Everyone wants to be taken somewhere other than where they are."

Goodness, what haunting words. Trauma and stress seem to be a running trend for all the murders and suicides throughout Boogiepop Phantom. Even worse is all the rumors of Boogiepop, and how all these kids, through jokes and despair, wish for Death to come and take them. It makes me wonder if this supposed to be some commentary on real life Japanese youth, if not some greater global phenomenon going on between the rapid spread of information, societal changes influencing instability and anxiety in vulnerable individuals, and cult-like mentalities.
Dec 11, 2022 5:55 PM
Jul 2018
I can't help but feel like most characters that lose themselves in this series do so in shallow and superficial ways. There are characters that ruin entire lives or end their own because of one misunderstanding or random opinions. This far into the anime and to me, the atmosphere pushes to make humankind out to be depressive and weak willed. With hardly any redeeming qualities. It just feels so narrow and selective for the sake of valuing misery.
Mar 22, 2023 1:02 PM
Feb 2019
Why I found it really sad about this ep
Jul 10, 2023 6:44 PM
Jan 2016
This episode is quite the punch to the gut, with Saki killing herself and Yoshiki being treated so horribly by his "friends" then gaining the ability to read their minds and realize what they really think of him. I'd put this in the mix with episodes 3 and 4 for the best in the show. Also interesting to note that in a show that is told in non-chronological order, this episode goes even further and has the scenes in non-chronological order as the Yoshiki stuff happens before the Saki and Akane stuff.
Aug 20, 2023 6:22 PM

Sep 2017
LoveLikeBlood said:
I get the comparisons between this and Serial Experiments Lain, especially from an aesthetic standpoint, but I think it has a lot more in common narratively with Paranoia Agent.

The narrative is more similar to ending episodes of Paranoia Agent where it all starts to feel like hallucinations and fever dreams, but story wise it's similar to neither. It tries to mimic the psychological aspect but gets dominated by the fiction. Honestly, now I understand why this anime never took off like SEL or NGE; it's just a loose adaptation of a novel for fans but instead got hijcaked by avant garde elitist jerkers.
خ
Aug 20, 2023 8:05 PM
Jan 2016
Fatephile said:
LoveLikeBlood said:

The narrative is more similar to ending episodes of Paranoia Agent where it all starts to feel like hallucinations and fever dreams, but story wise it's similar to neither. It tries to mimic the psychological aspect but gets dominated by the fiction. Honestly, now I understand why this anime never took off like SEL or NGE; it's just a loose adaptation of a novel for fans but instead got hijcaked by avant garde elitist jerkers.

I first saw Paranoia Agent just a couple of months ago and it very much gave off a Boogiepop Phantom feel, although I felt Boogiepop Phantom was better (and precedes it). It should be noted that Boogiepop Phantom is not an adaption of the Boogiepop light novels but rather acts as a sort of non-canon sequel. It effectively acts as if the viewer has already read at least the first light novel (the sixth also helps a lot as well). It is very experimental in nature, especially with its non-chronological storytelling and with each episode focused on different characters although it should be noted that this style is very similar to what is done in the first light novel. It never took off to the extend that Eva did, but I find Boogiepop Phantom considerably superior to Eva. Serial Experiments Lain is on a much closer level for me quality-wise.
Feb 15, 5:13 PM
Blitzball Player

Dec 2011
This episode resonated with me deeply. I'm a musician and experienced something similar, in a loose sense, to Saki. It honestly changed me and that day was a pivotal moment in my life. Most, if not all, people experience dreams being crushed at some point. In Saki's case it was more of her father's dream but you know what I mean. A meaning I personally attach to this episode is that "growing up" is about reflecting on the past and utilizing it to become a better you.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bwaffles - Nov 23, 2008

56 by num-ami-dabutz »»
Apr 10, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 6 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 27, 2010

25 by Pineappleshogun »»
Apr 10, 2:12 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 10 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

23 by Walhtatron »»
Mar 9, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 7 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Mar 6, 2010

30 by EtherLux »»
Jan 20, 3:37 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 25, 2009

29 by Pinoffin »»
Jan 12, 2:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.