Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 2, 2008 3:13 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Why'd Chroniko have to go like that? Damn that was depressing ;_;

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
May 2, 2008 3:32 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I almost cried at the end of the flashback. Poor Chroniko. ;_;

Great episode.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 2, 2008 4:44 PM

Jan 2007
yeah, that was really depressing. D:
May 2, 2008 6:01 PM
Dec 2007
I'm not really into shows like these, this show lacks happiness. Yet I'll keep watching for a while and see if it gets better because it's somewhat interesting.

None the less, I think this was my favorite episode so far ^^
May 2, 2008 9:03 PM
Jan 2008
Ugh... I don't know if I like it or not. The visual style is good, but I felt that this episode story was more melodramatic, than actually, well, dramatic. I'm not really sure. I just hope that they start to tell us more about One Accord and the main characters, and not just do sentimental stories.

(not that i actually think it's a bad thing...)
May 2, 2008 9:53 PM

Oct 2007
Pretty sad and all. That world really crappy and full of pedos.

May 2, 2008 11:59 PM

Apr 2007
I don't care what anybody else thinks, this show is a masterpiece, and has high potential of going into my top 5. The only thing i can really see stopping it getting there is the annoying big forehead dude. And yes, i cried for poor Chroniko... Love her character design too.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2008 1:48 AM
Jun 2007
That big forehead guy is a great character. Sure on the surface it seems like he's superficial and is only helping Kaiba(who he thinks is Chroniko) because he's sexually attracted, but he hasn't raped her or anything that we know of, which makes me think he's actually a good guy on the inside.

Actually this episode in my opinion, was a way of showing that although the universe they live in kinda sucks, not everyone is evil or just out for themselves. It was bittersweet.

This show has made my top 5. I can't fucking wait for the OST. The Piano song better be on there.

May 3, 2008 1:54 AM

Jan 2008
Sad episode for the change of pace. Music continues to amaze me. Not only OP and ED are good but also background score lefts not much to be desired. If this level of production keeps up then this anime will get highest possible score from me.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
May 3, 2008 2:40 AM

Nov 2007
In my opinion the episod showed that without one`s precious memories he can change completely his feeling. The danger of playing with the human mind. The aunt was really shoked when regening her past memories.
As for Kaiba with this new body just can`t stop lauthing when thinking how easy he got back to his original body :) Don`t know if the little thing is Neiro or not but yes thete`s pretty big chance to be so. I`m more interesting what happened to the old man in the dead lady memories and the rings on the original body ^^ Anyway! Can`t wait for the next episod!!!
May 3, 2008 6:01 AM

Apr 2007
AnimusNathan said:
That big forehead guy is a great character. Sure on the surface it seems like he's superficial and is only helping Kaiba(who he thinks is Chroniko) because he's sexually attracted, but he hasn't raped her or anything that we know of, which makes me think he's actually a good guy on the inside.

Think is the word there, we don't know his true intentions or anything, we can only presume and theorize, and so far of what i've seen i don't like him is all.

And the little flying thing has got to be Neiro, unless the memories who were in Neiro's body at the time weren't Neiro's. But I'm sure it will turn out to be Neiro.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2008 8:03 AM

Aug 2007
I can't describe how great this anime is imo.
Every episode was different than the others; the third was realy great too. If this show is until the end as good as it is now; I will have to remove one of my current favorites to add Kaiba to the top 5.

Besides that, Kaiba has the best OST of the season. I liked the piano song too.
May 3, 2008 8:34 AM
Jun 2007
Siing said:

And the little flying thing has got to be Neiro, unless the memories who were in Neiro's body at the time weren't Neiro's. But I'm sure it will turn out to be Neiro.

I don't think it is Neiro. I think it's a robot.

May 3, 2008 9:34 AM

Jan 2008
great episode! Best one yet!
May 3, 2008 10:19 AM
Jan 2008
BTW, has anybody else noticed how Popo seems to be from One Accord, too? I suppose he knows who Kaiba really is. Also, it looks like he's trying to get rid of Kaiba. And he was very protective of Neiro's mind during the first episode..

It sounds very cliched, but maybe he wanted to get rid of Kaiba and make Neiro forget about him so he could be with her. Maybe betray the group?
ymtMay 3, 2008 10:23 AM
May 3, 2008 11:35 AM

Aug 2007
This episode was such a masterpiece.
May 3, 2008 12:32 PM

Jul 2007
This episode was quite a bit more normal than the first two, but it was so touching that I can't really fault it for that. It's hard to describe what I love about this anime, but I think it's the best of the season so far.

oh, these little earthquakes
May 3, 2008 3:14 PM

Oct 2007
Damn this series doesn't cease to impress me at all. It only keeps getting better and better, and it's truly amazing.

Great episode.

May 3, 2008 8:29 PM

Apr 2007
+1 best episode so far, hope more to come, very touching episode.
really love the piano song during the flashbacks. will eagerly be waiting for the OST to come out
May 3, 2008 8:56 PM

Apr 2007
Purely awesome. Seriously this episode was pure perfection.

If Kaiba keeps the level it will be the best anime of the year.

Masaaki Yuasa never ceases to amaze me.

May 4, 2008 5:29 PM

Jan 2008
This episode just bumped my rating again. first week 7, second week 8, and now it's on 9. I am not sure if it will ever make it to 10, but I just hope it doesn't fall because so far this series is absolutely brilliant.

May 5, 2008 2:37 AM

Apr 2008
8GaugeBrett said:
This episode just bumped my rating again. first week 7, second week 8, and now it's on 9. I am not sure if it will ever make it to 10, but I just hope it doesn't fall because so far this series is absolutely brilliant.

Agreed. I thought the 2nd ep was good, but the 3rd ep was fantastic - heartwarming, and sad at the same time. :)
May 5, 2008 5:01 AM

Apr 2008
It only got me close to almost crying, which is good enough. Like someone else said this episode was showing that there are bunch of evil people out there, good people and people who are forced to do evil in the world of Kaiba.
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
May 5, 2008 1:14 PM

Jul 2007
So sad... ;_; This series is really moving, I'm not sure if it's despite it's looks or because of it.
May 5, 2008 4:16 PM

Sep 2007
kanami said:
BTW, has anybody else noticed how Popo seems to be from One Accord, too? I suppose he knows who Kaiba really is. Also, it looks like he's trying to get rid of Kaiba. And he was very protective of Neiro's mind during the first episode..

It sounds very cliched, but maybe he wanted to get rid of Kaiba and make Neiro forget about him so he could be with her. Maybe betray the group?

Popo is from One Accord, and this is confirmed in ep 3 if you look at the TV's in the background when Vanilla is talking on the arm-phone. But I disagree about Popo's motive. In the beginning of the show, he protected Kaiba from the memory-stealing ship, helped smuggle him on board a ship, and I also think Popo is might be the little yellow helicopter guy as well. He has protected Kaiba at every turn.

But I also think that Kaiba is Neiro, which is why I'm leaning more toward Popo being the helicopter.
May 5, 2008 11:23 PM
Jun 2007
BlackMagic said:

But I also think that Kaiba is Neiro, which is why I'm leaning more toward Popo being the helicopter.

Yea but Kaiba has been marketed as a love story. Having Kaiba be the same person as Neiro kills that.

I still think Popo is a badguy, and the squidcopter is a robot or an artificial memory.

May 6, 2008 10:43 AM

Sep 2007
Marketing is only designed to attract viewers, not to tell the truth.
I think a central theme of this show is how memories create identity. I think Kaiba may be a piece of Neiro that has been let free into the world to experience things with a blank slate and unbiased point of view. After Kaiba has experienced enough, his memories will be reunited with the rest of his self (Neiro) and the experiences as Kaiba will have an effect on the completed Neiro and possibly lead to a particular decision being made.
May 12, 2008 2:03 PM
Dec 2007
Hmmm I know ! This anime makes me think of Ginga Tetsudou 999 for the change of planet and the apparition of new secondary characters in each episode, the cruelty and darkness of its world, and of course the themes of immortality and body swap (that's basically the Maetel mystery summarized ;)). If you add Masaaki Yuasa as director/scriptwriter to these Galaxy Express references, how can anyone not love this show honestly ?

To get back to this episode particularly, it was almost perfect as some of you already said. I even prefer Kaiba to Kemonozume now.

8GaugeBrett said:

Hehe I started at 8 myself, before raising to 9. Don't think that I'll rate it 10 though, I was pretty disappointed at some point with Kemonozume, so if it follows the same path... But maybe I'm wrong and Kaiba will become even more awesome.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 17, 2008 12:52 AM

Feb 2008
Man, the ending was so depressing T_T
I must say that Kaiba is quickly becoming one of my favourites animes, from this spring season. Sucks it's only 12 episodes =/
May 24, 2008 2:58 AM

Feb 2007
Another fantastic episode. The last scenes nearly had me in tears too. This can easily get a 10 score if Kaiba stays at this quality, and judging from my fav anime blogger, it seems to be doing exactly that.
Aug 5, 2008 5:50 AM

Mar 2008
Dramatic... You guys weren't the only ones almost brought to tears with this...

I find the idea of being able to transfer, change or lose memories this easily rather disturbing... It makes me a bit uncertain about my own memories. Which is probably a good thing, the fact that this anime makes me think.
Apr 12, 2009 7:34 AM

Jul 2008
can only agree to all of you, melancholic beautiful ep........and the music is just briliant and always fits the action to its deepest core..=)
Take a look at the world and laugh. -Januzs Korczak
Apr 13, 2009 11:08 AM

Mar 2008
I think Ive finally found a good anime to watch :)
Apr 17, 2009 9:49 AM
Dec 2008
this EP was pure sentimental triumph. i am very moved.
Nov 13, 2009 5:37 AM

Nov 2008
That was really a sad, and something I really like about this anime is they aren't scared of killing people that we are used to.
When she said that she will loose her body, I thought that she'd be saved miraculously in the end, but no. And she even got killed.

The part when her aunt remembered her past with her nefew was really sad, even though I didn't really get what exactly happened.

I really to enjoy more and more this show, even though it looked kinda weird at first sight.
Jan 18, 2010 4:43 AM

Sep 2008
almost qqed. This anime is simply brilliant I must say; every episode has something different to offer.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 23, 2010 8:00 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Epically depressing :(

I think I should play a game now or watch some comedy show....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 21, 2010 11:57 AM

Apr 2009
That was depressing,but great episode..... ;__;
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Apr 30, 2010 4:29 PM

Mar 2008
cyruz said:
I almost cried at the end of the flashback. Poor Chroniko. ;_;

Great episode.

Seconded. Amazing. 10/10
Aug 5, 2010 7:29 PM

May 2010
This episode was a freaking fairy tale!

Seriously, the way it unraveled was absolutely lyrical, paced almost rhythmically, and the drama was carefully contained to avoid melodrama yet achieve maximum impact. I can't see any way this episode could have been improved. Kaiba for the motherfucking win!
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 26, 2010 2:57 PM

Jan 2010
i'm stunned

this episode almost made me cry :'(....incredible,it's one of the best epiosdes i've ever seen...just incredible

such a sad story... and that insert song was amazing!

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Oct 16, 2010 2:25 PM

Mar 2009
Amazingly beautiful and tragic episode. Due to this episode, my score is already at a 10. I'm at a loss for words, really.

Oct 28, 2010 7:37 PM
Oct 2010
I never even found out who Chroniko was, was having a hard enough time trying to keep up with who the current protagonist was. If anything this episode is a definite sign for how horribly incohesive this show is. I expected better from Anno.
Oct 31, 2010 12:24 AM

Aug 2009
Sad story. I was crying.
Nov 8, 2010 6:01 PM

Sep 2010
I liked the way memories get in order while the aunt plays piano, she is not that bad, a good reverse in the outline of a Cenderella tale.
I almost cried, the song reminds me something but I couldn't put a name on it (maybe I already heard it)
Jan 17, 2011 2:07 PM

Jun 2009
One word. Depressive.
Feb 24, 2011 7:57 PM

Apr 2010
Beautiful episode. I put together a short video clip and mp3 of the ending, since that song doesn't seem to be on the soundtrack for some reason. Edit: video removed. Mp3 here - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5wx14hdy33luf00
orbsJun 6, 2012 6:35 PM
Jul 3, 2011 9:18 AM

Jan 2010
I needed to pause in the middle of the episode for a few minutes just to take in the story. I've had that happen very few times, and this was one of them. I don't think I can marathon this.
Aug 6, 2011 8:06 PM

May 2010
Incredible episode. It wasn't melodramatic at all; the pathos is masterfully executed and the mise en scene is so powerful.
Oct 29, 2011 2:41 AM

May 2008
Definitely my favourite episode in the entire series and the insert song, "The Tree Song" made it even more spectacular.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» I’m indifferent to the point of dropping it

Sagepool - Apr 13

0 by Sagepool »»
Apr 13, 6:11 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Netforce - Aug 7, 2008

153 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 5:30 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Trojun - Aug 7, 2008

64 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 4:57 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 10 Discussion

8GaugeBrett - Jul 31, 2008

43 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

freedo- - Jul 4, 2008

64 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 3:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.