Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 27, 2010 11:52 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I actually think this one is quite good seeing how they pick up where they left off, Yggdrasill's ability wasn't that impressive until he freezes everything. There's are strong tensions surrounding Presea and Regal which was one of the highlights here, Regal sure has endured a lot in the past and that has shown.
ShanaFlameMay 28, 2010 12:44 AM
May 27, 2010 11:54 PM

Jun 2009
Is it subbed yet?

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
May 28, 2010 12:01 AM

Sep 2008
ShanaFlame said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I actually think this one is quite good seeing how they pick up where they left off^^
Not yet Suzune.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 3, 2010 1:06 PM

Nov 2009
I'm finding myself wondering more and more when a subbing company is gonna do this.

I'm not wanting to watch it raw as I adore the game but I can see this going off on it's own tangent now and I cant guess some of the conversations =(
RiptosJun 5, 2010 6:12 PM
Jun 3, 2010 10:40 PM

Jul 2007
Its been a week. How come there isn't a subbed version out yet?
by Baka-Chibi

Jun 9, 2010 12:07 AM

Apr 2008
I think they [fansub groups] are focusing on Tales of Vesperia, so the release for ToS was on hold. I can't wait for the two titles to be released. >.<
Twitter: @devgum
Jun 12, 2010 3:00 PM

Apr 2008
Finally, episode 2 is out: http://evaforum.com/formulasub/?p=592
Twitter: @devgum
Jun 12, 2010 3:15 PM

Apr 2008
pretty good episode. I love Regal's backstory, and alicia is *~*

hopefully ep 3 has moar sheena, like the temple of lightning :<.

Jun 12, 2010 4:37 PM

Jan 2008
Personally, I disliked this episode, way to much info on Regal x Alicia and not enough of the main story.

Although, liked how they started using a lot more artes though, Presea's Beast was my favorite n the episode, sadly she didn't do the spin. Awkward that Regal didn't lose his head or a part of his body after being struck with the axe multiple of times, it's not like she was using the blunt end.

Anyways, Yggdrasill.... time freeze wha? Don't remember him being that all mighty o_o
Jun 12, 2010 7:20 PM

Sep 2008
Paul said:
Personally, I disliked this episode, way to much info on Regal x Alicia and not enough of the main story.

Although, liked how they started using a lot more artes though, Presea's Beast was my favorite n the episode, sadly she didn't do the spin. Awkward that Regal didn't lose his head or a part of his body after being struck with the axe multiple of times, it's not like she was using the blunt end.

Anyways, Yggdrasill.... time freeze wha? Don't remember him being that all mighty o_o

I gotta agree with you, I think it was good that Regal's back story was explored in great detail and all but I wanted the story to progress a bit more since now we only have 2 episodes left, I'm not seeing how this will get wrapped up in 2 episodes so maybe we have another OVA batch much later? Another thing, I don't remember Presea being that emotional, in the game, I think her most extreme moment was when Mithos was testing her at that high tech angel place, (I forgot what it was called -_-) but I guess maybe that's where they got it from and combined the 2?

Maybe Yggdrasil had an hour glass on him lol? But he did feel unstoppable in the first fight in the game so I guess they tried to give the same effect in the anime lol. But I still loved the episode though and the opening since it's my favorite singer singing even though she hasn't said one word yet as Collette lol.
Jun 12, 2010 8:18 PM

Nov 2007
EtherSword said:
I gotta agree with you, I think it was good that Regal's back story was explored in great detail and all but I wanted the story to progress a bit more since now we only have 2 episodes left, I'm not seeing how this will get wrapped up in 2 episodes so maybe we have another OVA batch much later?

Yes, there IS another batch of OVAs after Tethe'alla called the United World Episode. I already submitted it to the DB or approval. So fear not, we should be getting another 4 more to wrap things up.
Jun 12, 2010 9:14 PM

Jul 2009
Aliciaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Fuck yeah! Regal-sama is too badass that the **** of a shitty axe doesn't even make a scratch on his body LOL

And dirty lame ass can't even face his splendor like a true man (er.... Is he really a man though? LAWL) and gotta resort to cheating. But he got owned badly anyway so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.... Aaaaaaah~ Regal-sama, even if you're into lolies, you're still more awesome than the rest of the cast (Or maybe that makes you even more awesome than you already are....) ~ <333

Ahhhhhh.... Such bliss ~ Dunno what are the above posters complaining about but for me, I got my lovely share of Regal-sama in his younger days so I'd gladly rate it "> 9000/5: Become shackled over it!!!" if given such option.... But alas, there wasn't so.... 5/5!!! <333

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Jun 13, 2010 12:56 AM

Sep 2008
Axes and swords can't slice people, but fists work just fine. Regal is so pro.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 13, 2010 2:24 AM

Jul 2009
Paul said:

Time Stop. PS2 version.

And I really liked this episode, because it really shows us in details what the game lightly touched upon.
Looks like Tethe'alla Episode is about exploring the Tethe'allan characters' backstories in a little more depth, and I love it for that.

Sure the plot is abridged and moves slowly, but to me, giving more depth to the characters > telling us a story we already know by heart.
It is a great adaptation because it is so different. It gives us an entirely new perspective, and I find that wonderful.
Jun 13, 2010 2:31 AM

Jan 2009
Sheena~ <3
Anyway
HawthorneKitty said:
Axes and swords can't slice people, but fists work just fine. Regal is so pro.
Well of course, fists have sharp edges, while axes and swords don't, right? : D

Also, haha, Lloyd didn't get to finish his speech. : 3
Oh and the ED's actually really good~
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jun 13, 2010 2:37 AM

Jul 2007
isn't Regal a pedo? since he felt in love with a loli servant? or i'm missing something (like Alicia and Presea are dwarfs? :o)
Jun 13, 2010 6:12 AM

Nov 2009
I was never that big a fan of this part of the plot in the game.

Alicia was quite cute though but I have to agree that she seemed a bit loli for Regal.

Maybe George was trying to set off Regal's Amber Alarm lol XD;
Jun 13, 2010 7:42 AM

Jul 2009
She's around 18 when she dies, but it's true she looks younger...
Jun 13, 2010 7:50 AM

Apr 2009
and i see another account of the manlier the character, the more loli his partner will be.. anyway, i believe this Regal exclusive is not as excessive as you think it is since another batch of OVA's of Tales of Symphonia called United World Episode has already been announced.. hopefully, we won't be waiting longer between Tethe'alla ep and that one..
Jun 13, 2010 9:12 AM

Apr 2009
Nice backstory! Alicia seriously looks way younger... and was it just me or Presea looked taller in the flashbacks?
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Jun 13, 2010 11:11 AM

Aug 2007
This episode just seemed... really out of character all around and far too over the top in dramatics, imo. Lloyd in particular at first was just unnecessarily angsty and manic over losing Collete. Then there's Presea... I can understand them wanting her to show emotion for the sake of the drama and the fact that there are a limited amount of episodes, but it just felt off. Still, it was nice to see some backstory with Regal and Alicia (who looks like she's 12 lol). But even that was spoiled by the RIDICULOUS appearance of what she turned into. Really, why did that monster have to wear her little nightie!? It just looked incredibly lame animated.

Thank goodness Zelos was in this episode! He saved it from the melodrama, particularly Lloyd giving his "epic come join us" speech. Him spazzing in bed about Raine's cooking was hilarious as well.
Jun 13, 2010 12:44 PM

Aug 2008
Outside of appearance, I think what seemed to make Regal attracted to Alicia was her heartfelt personality. She wasn't fake or after his money like most of the other aristocratic women. I think that's more of the underlining point. Besides, nearly all of the female characters in Symphonia look rather young for their age (with exception to Sheena and Refill, but even then they don't look extremely old.) Maybe the Combatir family/girls are just extremely petite? *shrug* Who knows? Appearance isn't everything. Maybe I'm just biased. ┐(-。ー;)┌

I thought that this episode was very touching and enjoyable. It had a decent pace and defined the other characters a bit more. It's nice when the focus isn't just on the main characters/plot because it opens up other developments. It shows Presea's anger and frustration about how her life stopped more so than the game and I thought that was a good development. You actually sense it. Sure, it wasn't exactly like that in the game, but then again, this OVA is merely an adaptation of the game's story. They're entitled to extend the plot. I personally prefer this sort of development over what they did with the Phantasia OVA. They left out so many aspects and character development in lieu of squishing everything into a 4-episode OVA.

In summary, I think it's great that they're developing the "optional" side characters rather than leave them in the background and treat them as extra fodder.

Thanks for the info on the new ToS OVA. I'm glad that they've decided to continue extending it past the Tethe'alla arc. Now if only somebody in region one would license it already so I can buy it! >.< I really want to support the Tales series any way I possibly can since I think it's much better and more fulfilling than other franchises of the same genre (*coughFinalFantasycough*).
Jun 13, 2010 7:04 PM

Nov 2009
i think the reason presea looks younger than her sister is because she had the crucix crystal implanted in her before years before her sister died, it was a good episode but it could of been a little less alicia and regal. hopefully episode 3 will be here is a month
Jun 13, 2010 7:13 PM

Jan 2009
Uhh where is Tabatha? I'm so confused.

Hopefully the next episode will be more...interesting. >_>
Jun 13, 2010 7:47 PM

Jul 2008
YumeHanabi said:
Paul said:

Time Stop. PS2 version.

That or he might have used the eternal sword which was first introduced in Tales of phantasia as a sword that manipulate time and space. Symphonia is theorically in the same world as phantasia but in the past so it isn't weird that the sword have the same propriety in the two works.
Lloyd aquiring it is probably where the balance will change because frankly I don't see a big difference in the game.

Overall very good episode imo.
Jun 13, 2010 8:17 PM

Nov 2007
aesopian said:

You know, now that you mentioned it where IS Tabatha? lol, I forgot about her till you brought it up. My memory is hazy so I can't recall if she is meant to appear yet but she is vital towards the end, right?
Jun 13, 2010 8:58 PM

Jun 2009
Okay I had real issues with this episode. Seriously the Regal/Alicia subplot of the story is really small. Why did we spent 25+ awkward minutes watching Alicia, who looks twelve, dance around with a man who appeared old enough to be her father. Seriously did anyone notice the proportions his hands were as big as her head. It was overly melodramatic I don't see why we had to turn twelve game minutes into that.

Also I couldn't help but catch the feeling of a dragonball z reference when she looked that the full moon and it turned red and she transformed. I though the scene was in poor taste.

I personally think it is amusing that no matter how many times persea swung her ax at him that Regal didn't die. It is not like bladed weapons cut skin or anything.

Also the backstory was just for Regal's sake it is not like he told it to anyone. So please allow me to stand in the corner and internally monologue to myself all episode. Perhaps this is why we play the game from Lloyd's perspective because then we don't know things unless they tell us.

Seriously though I thought the episode was really in poor taste and a little dry story wise. Don't get me wrong I respect Regal as a character but that was just over the top. If they shrunk scenes like this down we would not have to wait for another set of OVA's to see the end.

Remember this is just my opinion...

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jun 15, 2010 12:32 AM

Apr 2007
Presea beating the shit out of Regal was oh so worth it.
Jun 15, 2010 6:31 PM

May 2009
Well Presea is a pretty impulsive person, even though her reaction had to be like that, considering that he killed her sister and she didn't know why
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Jun 16, 2010 6:50 PM
Nov 2009
Suzune-chan said:
Okay I had real issues with this episode. Seriously the Regal/Alicia subplot of the story is really small. Why did we spent 25+ awkward minutes watching Alicia, who looks twelve, dance around with a man who appeared old enough to be her father. Seriously did anyone notice the proportions his hands were as big as her head. It was overly melodramatic I don't see why we had to turn twelve game minutes into that.

I think the idea with this anime is to be less like Tales of the Abyss' "Let's summarize 10 hours of game in 10 minutes of anime" deal. Rather they're saying "Hey this is an interesting bit of plot that wasn't explored much in the game. Let's fix that.' I don't think that's a bad thing at all. Certainly it's preferable to forty minutes of touring the world making summon spirit pacts. I'd much rather have the OVAs spend their time expanding the backstory than just animate the game the way TotA did. That's just me though.

As for the second part... it's jarring yeah, but that's how anime is. I take it you've never seen Kanon?
NaelokJun 16, 2010 8:21 PM
Jul 1, 2010 12:06 PM
Mar 2009
Lloyd's Majinken looked a little...overdone? Seriously, it was more of a beam than a burst of energy. Zelos used Sonic Thrust...and missed...and what arte did Regal use? Presea used Beast and it knockedback Regal! Awesomeness! They need to use more artes. I really want to see Genis use Indignation Judgement.

Did they just spoil what I think they just spoiled? In Lloyd's flashback scene.

I kind of liked how they switched some events around. It makes their motives for fighting Cruxis much clearer.
Jul 1, 2010 6:39 PM

Jul 2008
ChronosXIII said:

Did they just spoil what I think they just spoiled? In Lloyd's flashback scene.

They did.
Jul 4, 2010 3:19 PM

Jun 2010
I really enjoyed this episode. Going deeper into the Regal x Alicia relationship was a great choice, in my opinion, because they only lightly touched it in the game. Furthermore, I love drama at times. Mix it up with great art in the fighting scenes and Zelos' humor, and you've got yourself an episode I can thoughroughly enjoy.

Hope to see more drama in the future, but I can be sure of that; Sheena in the lightning temple is a thing that jumps to my mind immediately. Can't wait for the next episode.
Jul 9, 2010 3:12 PM
Mar 2010
The first 4 episodes seemed really fast paced to me and i'm glad that there was this awesome emotion ep in this OVA set.
Another OVA set after this? Sounds good ...
Wouldn't mind seeing so more fighting and Sheena's kick ass action. For a person who hasn't played the game the lack of fighting and then the spam of what seem like skills is slightly confusing but still looks cool.

I wonder when ep 3 comes out...
Jul 10, 2010 2:26 PM

Jun 2010
when is the third episode coming out?
Jul 18, 2010 4:33 AM

Feb 2009
Regal is a pretty cool character, too bad he is a pedo.

Man what happened? This is losing interest, did this become slow paced all of a sudden or what?
Aug 15, 2010 12:30 AM

Feb 2010
It was good =D
Yggdrasil's time stop ability is Overpowered XD
Presea really did Regal in too.. though both have had a rather rough past.
Aug 20, 2010 9:30 PM

Jan 2010
I liked Regal's backstory and the Yggdrasill's ability..
Sep 4, 2010 10:27 PM

Jul 2007
When does the next episode come out?
by Baka-Chibi

Sep 4, 2010 10:43 PM

Jul 2008
ScarletMuse said:
It was good =D
Yggdrasil's time stop ability is Overpowered XD
Presea really did Regal in too.. though both have had a rather rough past.

It's not Yggdrasil's ability, it's the eternal sword's.
Apr 7, 2011 9:12 AM

Oct 2009
To much time spend on Regal/Alicia part imo.
Jun 30, 2011 2:31 AM

Jul 2007
I like the idea that they dedicated some info on regal's and presea's back story. It was definitely a favorite moment in the game for me regarding these two characters. How ever the over all story line is missing alot of key points that kind of make you wonder what is really happening with the story line. Its just going a little to fast again. For example, zelos was seeing talking to one of the cardinals, being a viewer who has not played the game before. THey would think that zelos is on the bad side. Suddenly he joins up with loyds crew but they skipped that entire subplot bout how he joined and what prompted him to join and also a bit of information on the other 5 desians, weren't revealed at all, they were just skipped completely.

I should of known trying to adapt a game into a small ova like this is just an impossible task. It is good though that there hand picking out some of the more memorable moments for the characters. But the over all story just feels very inconsistent.

Jun 30, 2011 2:33 AM

Jul 2007
aesopian said:

yeah i noticed that to lol. There is alot of things missing. Seriously if any one is watching this and trying to get a grip on the story line. Its really difficult even though i have not played the game in a long while, i still can't put together the story that well, it just seems way out of place in some area's.

Jun 30, 2011 2:34 AM

Jul 2007
Veethorn said:
Regal is a pretty cool character, too bad he is a pedo.

Man what happened? This is losing interest, did this become slow paced all of a sudden or what?

Best advice i can give you, play the game. There is just to much missing.
ArtimesGamerJun 30, 2011 2:39 AM

Dec 2, 2012 3:39 AM
Jan 2009
Sad about Alicia, I want one of those little three tailed foxes.
Nov 30, 2013 10:14 AM

Jul 2013
Nice backstory when it comes to Regal and Alicia, but really emotional when Alicia needs to be killed. Episode was amuzing though with this emotional impacts but kind of weird that Regal is like a lot older then Alicia when it comes to their romance stuff. As always the battle animation in here was well watched and entertaining.

Kind of felt bad when Zelos is like the left out character but sometimes funny at the same time. Now Alicia and Regal joined Lloyd's group to take down the Cruxis.

Jan 1, 2014 9:34 PM

Nov 2011
Sheena is awesome :>

Nice to see Presea having more roles in this OVA tbh. With 40 episodes each, I think she can get even more screen time this way.
Mar 16, 2014 8:41 AM

Oct 2009
Regal you lolicon!

As nice as the background info was, it kinda dragged out longer than it should have imo.
Mar 8, 2016 8:37 PM

Nov 2013
I'm a bit lost. Not enough information about Alicia and Cruxis.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

May 6, 2018 4:27 PM

Jun 2011
This anime just seems all over the place. And they overdramatized these characters too much. Lloyd here just seems more immature and hot-headed than he was in the game and Presea just seems more combative and impulsive.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tales of Symphonia: Tethe'alla Hen Episode 4 Discussion

Blackbird - Mar 2, 2011

38 by bushman66 »»
Mar 24, 2022 9:02 PM

Poll: » Tales of Symphonia: Tethe'alla Hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - Mar 31, 2010

76 by dannymilk »»
Apr 1, 2021 6:35 AM

Poll: » Tales of Symphonia: Tethe'alla Hen Episode 3 Discussion

Blackbird - Oct 5, 2010

39 by badabass »»
Feb 9, 2021 3:42 AM

» Possibilities on getting Dawn of the New World ova?

pacuuuuu3 - May 30, 2010

34 by Shahan88 »»
Aug 22, 2015 4:11 AM

» Fansub?

BRC - Mar 27, 2010

3 by YumeHanabi »»
Jun 13, 2010 2:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.