Forum Settings
Forums

[Update June 1] Forum Conversation View: Beta Testing

New
May 29, 2023 1:53 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
We've been working on a new feature for the forum—and we wanted MAL Supporters to be the first members to try it out!

Conversation View allows multiple conversations to happen within the same forum topic at the same time. By collapsing all of the replies to one post, it becomes easier to interact with the posts you want to (while ignoring the ones you don't). In the future, it'll also make it easier for us to put the posts you care about most at the top of the topic; for example, posts your friends make ( •̀ᴗ•́ )✧

Beta Testing is available for MAL Supporters only for 2~3 weeks. You'll receive a private message on MAL with a link to where you can report any issues you encounter during testing.

We hope everyone will look forward to using this new feature!

FAQ / Known Issues

June 1 Update
Thank you for your feedback regarding the quote to reply button change. We have reverted the reply button on Classic view back to the original quote button until we can resolve the main issue.

During the beta testing, there will still be some discomfort between Classic and Conversation view since:
  • Posts made in Conversation view will appear as mentions only in both views.
  • Posts made in Classic View will appear as quotes only in both views.

How did this happen?
KinetaJun 1, 2023 6:13 PM
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 30, 2023 8:43 PM

May 2010
Finally we won't have to quote someone just ro reply to them
Hello can you please watch Kitaku-bu Katsudou Kiroku
May 30, 2023 8:44 PM

Dec 2018
Will there be rules restricting multiple conversations in the forums game threads? Because that could make things confusing if someone replies to a post instead of making a new post in the threads.

May 30, 2023 9:03 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I did use it and it looked smooth and simple.. Also no character limits..

May 30, 2023 9:29 PM

Dec 2019
@Kikugi
I am testing this new feature, don't even bother with me.

Sorry to bother you eheh

*edit, the reply box opens below your post, but does not stay below your post, it just goes all the way to the bottom like always on the classic forum...

Also, all signatures are still in the exact same place too.

The only change I noticed is that quoting is impossible now... What sucks a bit if you want to edit some text someone sent previously without having to copy it

I am not even paying for MAL supporter, why I am already able to use this feature?
hacker09May 30, 2023 9:46 PM
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

May 30, 2023 9:31 PM

Nov 2018
So is this like how you can reply and also collapse forum replies for each comment on Reddit? If so, then it would make things so much easier to navigate if 20 people reply to just one single comment.

Hopefully we can collapse other conversations that branch off in the same replies, like 1 reply can lead to 6 random discussions and you only want to view one, just like Reddit if you know what I'm on about.
_cjessop19_May 30, 2023 9:34 PM

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
May 30, 2023 9:46 PM

Dec 2019
@Kineta

What about the bug that makes it impossible to paste anything, especially links on the forums?

May 30, 2023 9:59 PM

May 2010
@hacker09 I was bothered but not in a negative way, glad to be of help lol
Hello can you please watch Kitaku-bu Katsudou Kiroku
May 30, 2023 10:13 PM

Jan 2009
@ryo-san wow no character limit eh good news for a lot of users
May 30, 2023 10:36 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
@deg true

May 30, 2023 10:37 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
@hacker09 you hacked it bro

May 30, 2023 10:39 PM

Dec 2019
@deg
Oh no, now that you reported this "bug" this is the first anti-feature they will add in their high priority list hahaha

May 30, 2023 10:40 PM

Dec 2019
@ryo-san
hahaha

I just wish the conversations feature worked at least, but for me they all look line a new comment in the post, not a sub-conversation

May 30, 2023 11:15 PM

Mar 2008
Wow major downgrade to the site. The more corporate bullshit MAL does the more I suddenly want to leave for good and never return and make sure to never recomend the site to anyone and get it blacklisted as much places as possible and this will be the tipping point. Replacing quote with reply is bad user interface for a few reasons. It causes confusion to who you are replying to as to what post you are actually reply to them about and causes them to have to read through their own posts again just to find what was being replied to. Loss of quote function makes it so you can not reply to multiple users in any reasonable way. This is literally forcing a feature on people by this terrible implementation while falsely claiming it's optional.. This is just a bug in denial.

Just leave it as quote like it was and make quote pyramids convertable to reply trees. Though something that  might MIGHT work if actually programmed right is to have both quote AND reply but only have reply be just a shortcut to a user mention only and skip the whole reply below box but if you must still insist on ignoring users it would work better to have the box designed like this  
-click reply on user1
-message box appears below post with @user1
-scroll down
-floating box follows you down page
-click reply on user2
-box has @user1 @user2
-scroll down
-click quote user3
-box has @user1 @user2 [quote=user3]
-reach bottom of page
-stationary message box at bottom of page with all your quotes and replies collected as duplicate of the floating box as it's primary. 

There is absolutely NO reason whatsoever that the site has to be broken for a view type feature no one asked for. Here is how you do it without breaking the site because apparentlly random amatures know better than MAL devs.  Just take quotes and turn that into the reply tree simple as that they all have reference numbers to the posts so there is no reason that wouldnt work and not destroy the site in attempting something different like what this shit is right now.  Any user mention @ can be disregarded as not be part of the so called reply tree if it doesnt also include a quote, instead of trying to make it a "reply" to a post.    Then the site can function as normal for anyone who doesnt want this feature instead of breaking the site and making it pure horseshit 

@Hacker09
@Kineta already explained it. The MAL devs decided to break the site and call it a feature. You arent on the beta this is what they want the site to be now for so called classic view. Classic view is now just a buggier version of MAL where it's completely user hostile. 
traedMay 30, 2023 11:45 PM
May 30, 2023 11:23 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
Not a huge fan honestly. There are some benefits, but having tried the Anilist forums that use the same style it is just much less conducive to proper forum-style conversations. Not to mention it makes the classic view almost unreadable with the lack of quotes. What makes it work on Reddit, other than an interface that is made for it, is the best-first/Q&A style of every thread. But that isn't what I come to MAL for. I come to MAL for chronological, straight-forward discussions. Sadly that seems to be a dying content type.

Also, after switching to the new post style it removes the double-arrow »» "last post" button on the homepage. Bring this back, seriously. I use that button almost literally every day, not just for watched topics but for any topic on the forum I am coming back to. Thinking of the wasted time is mind numbing already. I know you can sort by newest but make the button auto-sort to that and scroll to it or something.

Edited again: You actually CAN'T "just use the newest first sort". That reply in the screenshot? It's a reply to someone else.But I can't find it in the new view because there is no button to find it and I am not scrolling through and loading 1500 posts to try. I can see it in classic view but can't see what it's replying to. Incredibly frustrating! In the course of 5 minutes since I made this post I went from neutral to disliking this immensely.

Edit 3: more feedback: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2096391&msgid=69303777&show=150#msg69303777
Valerio_LyndonMay 31, 2023 6:07 PM
May 30, 2023 11:32 PM

Mar 2008
@Valerio_Lyndon 
It's not just unreadable it's nearly completely unusable. You cant just quote multiple people or reply to multiple people in a single post oh no you have to do one for every single fucking post you want to reply to so if you are replying to one person who has multiple posts you have to reply to several of them all separately instead of just all collected into one post for their convenience.
May 30, 2023 11:37 PM

Dec 2018
Yeah I think this idea should be scrapped. If I wanted to use something like this I would be posting in reddit or anilist instead.

May 30, 2023 11:39 PM

Feb 2021
It looks interesting and useful.
May 30, 2023 11:39 PM

Jun 2019
Only difference I've noticed is that the watched topic feature doesn't seem to be working as I'm not getting notifications when watched topic threads are updated (only started a week or so ago).
May 30, 2023 11:41 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
@traed The more I use it the more I hate it. I am currently posting in threads "replying" to people in the classic view where I can't see what the hell they are talking about, meanwhile if I swap to the new view I have to scroll through and load 1100 other posts in an infinite-scrolling hellscape, which takes several minutes, just to be able to CTRL+F to find MY OWN POST and figure out what the hell is going on.

It took me 10 minutes to realise this feature is unusable in its current state, how did it get this far out the door????
May 30, 2023 11:44 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
How does it get worse with every passing second I use it. I just realised the damn replies are only one level deep anyway, so the moment you get into reply subsets it's literally just the same flat chronological style we've always had. So all we've really done is create sub-threads inside of threads for no reason other than making the site unusable.
May 30, 2023 11:47 PM

Jun 2011
This is going to make topics unreadable without quotes. Stop rolling out terrible updates.
May 30, 2023 11:49 PM

Mar 2008
@Valerio_Lyndon  As you can see it just makes the forum endless spam if anyone replies to multiple people. Hello 20 posts in a row of the same users over and over again ...
May 30, 2023 11:49 PM

Mar 2008
@Valerio_Lyndon  The hell will not end. This must be a plot by a competitor to get MAL absolutely wrecked. 
May 30, 2023 11:51 PM

Mar 2008
@Narmy  
The dev that made this idea must be some Reddit script kiddie zoomer. 
May 30, 2023 11:56 PM

Dec 2018
Also watched threads seem to be buggy as well as they occasionally are still marked as unread after I checked the most recent posts.

May 31, 2023 12:00 AM

Mar 2008
Valerio_Lyndon said:
How does it get worse with every passing second I use it. I just realised the damn replies are only one level deep anyway, so the moment you get into reply subsets it's literally just the same flat chronological style we've always had. So all we've really done is create sub-threads inside of threads for no reason other than making the site unusable
Funny enough you can still quote users but they make you have to highlight the post to do it which proves there is no reason to remove the quote function. They just dont know what they are doing. 
May 31, 2023 12:05 AM

Mar 2008
@Queen_Galaxia
I noticed that too.
May 31, 2023 12:06 AM

Feb 2010
So if the unwashed masses want to see how this is, I picked up MAL supporter and recorded it for you:

https://youtu.be/eZUzBWh-9AU

This new feature seems unnecessary and barely brings anything worthwhile imo. I guess it could be slightly useful in a discussion about anime or games where you want to focus on one conversation started by a single user's reply within a topic. Or with a help topic, you find the question you have there and view the discussion on it. But you could already do that by sifting through the quotes and replies, and now there will be multiple convos all over. It's easy to miss good posts unless you open every convo.. or just use classic lol and the conversation mode becomes pointless and more of a hassle. Being able to ping someone without a quote is nice, could we get that on the other parts of MAL, its been requested since pinging dropped.

It is also completely useless (and actually makes things worse) on a really big topic with many replies from before today (see second part of video). The topic becomes an endless void of posts and the pages are not sorted by 50 posts at a time anymore. And what if a user doesnt know how to switch the modes? Then going to a older topic might become really confusing for them. Going to an old thread with many posts gets chaotic quickly. Many users have trouble with almost everything and the switch between convo and classic isnt very noticable- just like the switch between dark and light mode (that switch should be on the header somewhere, wtf?).

The little double arrow link that brings you to the end is gone too in convo mode. Now you have to use latest replies, but then it creates a chronologically backwards series of posts below the OP.

Sigs hidden within usernames (WTF!) REALLY sucks in the convo mode.

Just speculating but I would think all those forum game threads will be completely fucked in this mode. As I showed in the video, a thread with many posts becomes a huge void of endless loading. I guess those users will have to stay in classic to participate properly in a forum game.

I also wonder what if someone edits or deletes the post a bunch of ppl replied to? Could lead to some confusing convos and reading later if they didn't using quoting. Ah, this is what happens when the original post reply is deleted. At least the other replies stay.
https://imgur.com/AQZctwA

And add on all the other complaints users made, they are all valid.

Also in classic view, the page links should be on the upper right of the first page in a thread again.

Weren't there unfinished club updates and multiple errors reported in Support regarding pasting and the new dark mode? O_o Maybe those should be taken care of first.

Shishio-kunJun 30, 2023 1:11 PM
May 31, 2023 12:08 AM

Jun 2011
traed said:
the more I suddenly want to leave for good and never return

Well the only reason I come to MAL is to use the forum, so if they fuck up the forum then there is no reason for me to come here. I guess it all depends on if people ignore their attempts to phase out quoting and quote posts manually, if people decide to use the quick reply instead then the forum is as good as dead since none of the threads will make sense.
May 31, 2023 12:14 AM
Jul 2018
Rofl, there must be a secret plot to make the forums as unusable as possible or something.
May 31, 2023 12:19 AM

Feb 2020
Hey you fixed the youtube issue on mobile, thanks.

But the reply text boxes don't resize anymore which makes editing big posts a huge pain...

And clicking on a quote makes a popup appear with the option to add that person as a friend instead of being a link to the quoted post... That's inconvenient.

Kineta said:
The "Quote" button on posts has been replaced with "Reply" which mentions the user instead of quoting them.
This allows replies made in Classic view to be seen as replies in Conversation view.
If you would like to quote a user, please highlight the portion of text you wish to quote and click "Quote Reply".

Why not just make quotes work like this instead?:

@user_name
quote text
May 31, 2023 12:22 AM

Mar 2008
@Narmy
Prepare for endless spam posts. I dont even spam and its even encouraging me to make as little effort as possible in my posts content since all effort is wasted just trying to make the post appear.
May 31, 2023 12:22 AM

Aug 2014
Been really looking forward to this change! Glad it's able to get tested now :D
May 31, 2023 12:36 AM

Mar 2008
I actually lost track of what posts i even replied to in this thread from lack of proper functionality in the pseudo classic mode...
May 31, 2023 12:38 AM
Aug 2022
Awesome work MAL.
May 31, 2023 12:55 AM

Sep 2010
Why? Who asked for this? You have a million good ideas waiting in the suggestion board for years and you add something that nobody fucking asked for? Why fix something that worked perfectly fine?

And what are you talking about a testing phase? You will force this on us anyway or when did you ever listen to your userbase? The dumb review update that nobody wanted is still not fixed a year after release. You are so out of touch with this community @Kineta
ateksMay 31, 2023 4:52 AM
May 31, 2023 12:56 AM

Mar 2008
@Narmy
Narmy said:
Well the only reason I come to MAL is to use the forum, so if they fuck up the forum then there is no reason for me to come here.

Same. I dont know who would make such a dumb decision to alienate every user on the site for a tiny minority.
May 31, 2023 1:03 AM

Aug 2014
@ateks 
I appreciate it. Especially when reading up on a thread in the old way, it's so hard to keep track of replies. It's a massive ball of mixed up quote trees all going through each other. At least this way it's clear.
May 31, 2023 1:13 AM

Jun 2011
Ardanaz said:
At least this way it's clear.

It's not clear at all this way. If you find a forum so confusing then go to reddit instead of ruining the forum for people who like the way it is.
May 31, 2023 1:22 AM

Mar 2008
Ardanaz said:
it's so hard to keep track of replies

That's only if you have the source view on can anything get mixed up. That would be an easy fix by simply having it so the quote tree is in a spoiler when writing a reply like it is in a post. Or you could just use a userscript to hide it entirely.

May 31, 2023 1:25 AM

Mar 2008
@Ardanaz
Ardanaz said:
Been really looking forward to this change!

While overlooking the negative effect it has on the "classic" view making the site unusable.
May 31, 2023 1:27 AM

Oct 2010
looks like absolute trash, forums can't function like this, it's hilarious how the only ones who agree with this shit are people who don't use the forums and kineta's minion ardanaz
anyways, I'm expecting this to be implemented because no one cares about the users' opinions
you literally have to be insane to accept this
May 31, 2023 1:47 AM
May 31, 2023 1:47 AM

Aug 2014
@traed 
That I do agree with. I hope they add the old way of quoting back as well for the classic view.
May 31, 2023 1:55 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
@Kikugi Yeah, so simple yet very convenient.
May 31, 2023 1:58 AM

Mar 2008
@Ardanaz
You should switch back to classic view and look at what a mess this thread is. Your two replies just now to different posts on conversation view is a double post on classic view as is most posts in this thread of many users. Likewise a post that is a double post on conversation view might not be a double post on classic view.
May 31, 2023 2:06 AM

Aug 2014
@traed 
Including the quotes would fix that though right? Besides the double posting ofc. 
May 31, 2023 2:11 AM

Mar 2008
Just found what seems to be a bug in the design. On second page now there is no "reply" button in the first post of the page only "new reply" at top of page. So second page first post gets treated like it's the thread creator.

@Ardanaz
(Had to manually type this not sure how it would appear on conversation view)
If it used quotes as the reply with ability to multi quote in a single post instead of single post user mentions that would fix it (unless im missing something) though I am unsure how it should treat user mentions but logically they should just be part of the main thread not be their own tree otherwise if they were their own tree that would cause a lot of crossover between posts that could get messy when multiple users are mentioned at once. Im fine with this conversation view feature if it didnt have any negative effect on anyone who doesnt want it like it currently is doing.
traedMay 31, 2023 2:21 AM
May 31, 2023 2:15 AM

Mar 2010
I am glad the classic view stays. I really enjoy looking at the signatures and sets! Still am not sure about the new placements for new replys, hopefully i get used to it.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

213 by AkiraYuwiiiii »»
2 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by Jeniferu4edy »»
9 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 6:46 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.