Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 2010 12:10 AM

Dec 2008
Am I the only one who's not THAT pleased with the episode? I'm iffy overall, don't hate it but I don't like it :P

Obviously the production quality is absolutely phenomenal, I liked the music and....yea. That is basically it. I can't really say much since it's the first episode. I hope there is more clarification with the storyline and that the series won't just end up being random episodes of pew-pew & blood and gore. Characters are overall okay. Yuri is seriously getting on my nerves mainly because she's the splitting image of Haruhi =_=;. The only thing I really loved was Otonashi's seiyuu - Hiroshi Kamiya <3~
Apr 3, 2010 12:13 AM

Jan 2010
I thought it was great, already loving Tenshi and disliking that four-eyes-kun.
-Hei- said:
Very good production values, horrid music though. I still think this is Haruhi vs Yuki in an alternate universe.
What are you saying, the music was nice.
Valencia said:
Not much of a strong series. I expected that the show would go according to the theme of Guns & Fights. First half went in all conversation with Otonashi's experience. 2nd Half was a little better but it seems it has been somehow linked to "Haruhi Suzumiya". Many similarities are there. On the whole, the first episode should be more action-filled. I am not saying that there shouldn't be a slot for comedy but the theme is lose. I didn't like it much. Series rating: 5/10
You can't go rating the series based on the first episode, you know...
Apr 3, 2010 12:40 AM

Jun 2009
The first episode was entertaining. Although nothing much actually happened it was a nice way to introduce the setting and show us the central characters.
I won't say anything about 'been there, done that', because after 60 years of TV anime it is bound to become repetetive sometime...
Still I found it a bit too obvious that they were often refering to popular shows around. The Haruhi similarities are still a bit strong for my taste, but maybe that's because I don't like Haruhi that much. And I don't see some people's point in saying that this is not like every other Key game...heck, sometimes I wondered why I didn't need to press a button for the text to appear...

So far it's a typical Key-story in a typical school-environment, with some promising story-bits. So I will just hope they don't go about doing random side missions for 10 episodes now a'la Sora no Woto and throw us some unforeshadowed plot twist in the face during the last two episodes.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Apr 3, 2010 12:57 AM

Aug 2008
werr-y said:
Valencia said:
Series rating: 5/10
You do know you can, and update it when you see more episodes, as you see fit... As long as you plan to complete it...
Apr 3, 2010 1:03 AM

Jul 2009
WHOOHOO

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
Apr 3, 2010 1:06 AM

Oct 2009
I loved Angel Beats! IThis is definitely a keeper! Great production values, great music, cool story, and likable characters! All the ingredients for a great anime!:3
Apr 3, 2010 1:08 AM

Apr 2009
I was entertained. I hope this won't be straight comedy, but I won't be overly disappointed if it is.

Also, the only thing that Yuri has in common with Haruhi is a little of her attitude, a ribbon and a pose on a goddamn poster. Seriously. And quit acting like Haruhi is any sort of original character herself.
AmarrezApr 3, 2010 1:15 AM
Apr 3, 2010 1:11 AM

Jan 2008
Yuri instantly reminded me of Haruhi... o.o
I don´t know if i will like this. I think i will wait like 3 more episodes and judge then. The Animation was great, the Characterdesigns nothing special ans Storywise i can´t say anything yet. I hope this has some good background story and doesn´t turn into "we fight angel every episode for student goods".

Apr 3, 2010 1:25 AM
Jan 2008
Very good first impression, the drawings and effects are top notch (as expected of key), and the soundtrack in the background is pretty good.
Apr 3, 2010 1:32 AM

Nov 2008
It has the potential to be great, and an even greater potential to fail completely.

Let's hope for the former.
Apr 3, 2010 1:37 AM

Sep 2009
This episode has me interested in the story. I hope this continues to be interesting.
Apr 3, 2010 2:07 AM

May 2008
Hmmm, I'm not really sure about this... I'm a little confused and all but I think I'll keep watching. The animation was awsome, the story seems promising and I loved the insert song. To be continued...
Apr 3, 2010 2:10 AM

May 2009
seizonsha said:
The first episode was entertaining. Although nothing much actually happened it was a nice way to introduce the setting and show us the central characters.
I won't say anything about 'been there, done that', because after 60 years of TV anime it is bound to become repetetive sometime...
Still I found it a bit too obvious that they were often refering to popular shows around. The Haruhi similarities are still a bit strong for my taste, but maybe that's because I don't like Haruhi that much. And I don't see some people's point in saying that this is not like every other Key game...heck, sometimes I wondered why I didn't need to press a button for the text to appear...

So far it's a typical Key-story in a typical school-environment, with some promising story-bits. So I will just hope they don't go about doing random side missions for 10 episodes now a'la Sora no Woto and throw us some unforeshadowed plot twist in the face during the last two episodes.
Most of them probably (myself included) haven't played the VN. Anime comparison's it does have a lot of differences to the other three they have produced animated. Do I have a feeling they will probably loose some of these along the way? Yes yes they will though for right now it seems much different in comparison to how Clannad, Air, or Kannon started off. It's really the facts that they are having a lot more action, attempted antagonists, and even a slightly different female lead from the other three, a few more mains who are actually guys than usual compared to the other of Key's anime adaptations that make this feel different while still has the obvious features that make easy to tell yup its by Key.

Though I do hope I am wrong and that they do stick to some of these difference to a some what consistent level.
Apr 3, 2010 2:16 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
really? I'm one of 2 who didn't like it!?
p r o f i l e 👀
Apr 3, 2010 2:19 AM

Jan 2010
llamaben said:
werr-y said:
Valencia said:
You do know you can, and update it when you see more episodes, as you see fit... As long as you plan to complete it...
... What I was trying to say is that it really is lame to say 5/10 for this series when you have barely seen the first episode.
Apr 3, 2010 2:24 AM
Jan 2008
Maybe this just ain't his type of anime, I'm interested in romance, action, adventure, comedy and I just love skip beat, and there are other series I just dislike, such as white album.

also is that ulquiorria with boobs?
Apr 3, 2010 2:29 AM

Jan 2010
Watched Mazui sub.
Loved the insert song, interesting story.
4/5.
Wafu~ !
Apr 3, 2010 2:29 AM

Feb 2008
Whoa, this was nice! I really like the concept, the characters seem interesting (even tough the main girl reminds too much of Haruhi) and the animation looks really good.
So far, it's definitely my favorite show of this Spring Season.
Apr 3, 2010 2:32 AM

Jan 2009
Some how, Yuri makes me think of Haruhi lol xD.

Anyway, I guess his is the so far strongest first episode of the season.
And that's even without any/few (to me) known names in the cast list : o
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Apr 3, 2010 2:37 AM

Nov 2009
I got realy weird subs o.O
but i foun out it was a stupid fake sub white dirty things xD
and watched one white the good subs
Apr 3, 2010 2:46 AM

Nov 2008
werr-y said:
llamaben said:
werr-y said:
Valencia said:
... What I was trying to say is that it really is lame to say 5/10 for this series when you have barely seen the first episode.
Does it count if it is a really generic, ecchi harem series, even though it's the first episode?
Apr 3, 2010 2:46 AM
Jan 2008
lobkestar said:

do tell where you find the dirty ones
Apr 3, 2010 2:49 AM
Jan 2008
Maximatum99 said:
werr-y said:
llamaben said:
werr-y said:
Valencia said:
Does it count if it is a really generic, ecchi harem series, even though it's the first episode?

is it really a harem when there's so many other guys and lack of girls, and I didn't see any ecchiness
Apr 3, 2010 2:53 AM

Dec 2007
Eh, amnesia is overused and is stupid and probably didn't even need to be used for this story.

That said, I was entertained with the first episode. I like how they showed how the different groups work together in operations. Reminded me quite a bit of Gokujou Seitokai in that sense.

That said, this is going to be boring if Angel just stands there getting shot at all the time. Hopefully some sort of repercussion will happen with this little 'rebellion' and the series will have a main plot. That's my hope at least.
Apr 3, 2010 2:58 AM

Aug 2009
Great episode. I did expect less comedy, though...

Thank god I didn't watch the troll subs. : D
Apr 3, 2010 3:01 AM

Nov 2008
PhoenixIce said:

is it really a harem when there's so many other guys and lack of girls, and I didn't see any ecchiness
Dude... that's silly. Obviously I don't mean this.
Apr 3, 2010 3:02 AM

May 2009
Pretty so-so start.
It still has time to get a lot better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 3, 2010 3:03 AM

Jul 2009
Naruleach said:
really? I'm one of 2 who didn't like it!?
Count me there

TBH that was one hell of production quality, but i just can't bring myself into the story, let's try 6 or 7 episode for the score
Apr 3, 2010 3:07 AM

Nov 2008
PhoenixIce said:
lobkestar said:

do tell where you find the dirty ones
Here you go. http://www.tokyotosho.info/search.php?terms=angel+beats

The one with Coalguys. About 2 minutes in, then the shit kicks in.
Apr 3, 2010 3:19 AM

Sep 2008
OMG
Baka test of the season !

so overhyped and...........
hahahaha... this is just dumb, oh wait emiya shirou just found a right place for him. the world where you not die when you killed

hBWAHAHAHAHA

will watch this just for more lulz

and weird, MAL seems very love this show when 2ch,4ch, and other forums hate its so much lol
Apr 3, 2010 3:26 AM

Apr 2009
fertygo said:
and weird, MAL seems very love this show when 2ch,4ch, and other forums hate its so much lol

4ch doesn't hate it, they are just pulling the usual tsun routine they do for every show that has even a whisper of hype.

Can't speak for 2ch, since I don't speak Moon.
Apr 3, 2010 3:27 AM
Jan 2010
Pretty good start, but still lost at several points. Hope to get more plot relevation in the next couple episodes.
Apr 3, 2010 3:34 AM

May 2008
That was pretty bad.
Apr 3, 2010 3:36 AM

Dec 2009
3-4/5 for first episode.

gosh.
Apr 3, 2010 3:39 AM

Jul 2008
Wow, I hadn't read the synopsis before watching this ep so I was REALLY surprised .... but on a good way ! :----) 'Cause actually, I enjoyed the first episode a lot. Maybe I'm slowly regaining my anime mood ? haha ~

But the minus is that I don't like the animation style at all.

Apr 3, 2010 3:42 AM
Jan 2008
Sonja-cchi said:
Wow, I hadn't read the synopsis before watching this ep so I was REALLY surprised .... but on a good way ! :----) 'Cause actually, I enjoyed the first episode a lot. Maybe I'm slowly regaining my anime mood ? haha ~

Sonja-cchi said:

aww but everyone likes shiny colors :O
Apr 3, 2010 4:28 AM

Nov 2008
Hm, as a first episode it was much different than I expected. I mainly expected there to be some nice music like the one featured in the trailer. At first I wasn't really happy with all the comical death scenes, it reminded me too much of Dokuro-chan. But now that's that all cleared up, I wonder how the story will develop. Next week I hope we get to see the actual OP.. and some more nicely animated scenes. P.A Works definitely delivered. (Not that I expected any less.. I really hope after this they skyrocket past KyoAni, haha)
Now for the actual story, I'll wait and see. Too bad Nozomu-sensei is being completely overused this season; first Bake, then this, and later on Arakawa.. I really don't want to grow an aversion against his voice.
desolatoApr 3, 2010 4:33 AM
Apr 3, 2010 4:29 AM

Jan 2010
Maximatum99 said:
werr-y said:
llamaben said:
werr-y said:
Valencia said:
Well, this is looking more of a triangle than harem and I hope it doesn't turn out as generic as you say, but you have a point...
Apr 3, 2010 4:38 AM

Nov 2008
werr-y said:
Well, this is looking more of a triangle than harem and I hope it doesn't turn out as generic as you say, but you have a point...
No... I don't have a point. I was not referring to this, but any other series that's obviously a lame ecchi harem animu and judge it from the first episode.
Apr 3, 2010 4:53 AM
Sep 2009
Not a great start, but not a bad one either. A lot of info-dumping going on here...

For the sake of the expectations myself and other people had, I cross my fingers and hope this show will get a lot better.
Apr 3, 2010 4:54 AM

Feb 2009
Now the comparison begins... PA Works with KyoAni. Yuri with Haruhi. Anything else?

Can't help but compare Yuri with Haruhi, she looks and sounds like her (-inasai). Though like with SnW and K-On, the difference will be seen in future episodes. Kamiya Hiroshi needs to change his voice, he sounds the same with each anime. Forgot all the names of the member of their group, enjoyable bunch but doesn't stand out much. Tenshi is ok for now. Plot is still too broad but it was laid out well. Music was okay, easily compared with God Knows(add this one with the comparison). If people say that this is Jun Maeda's great works, I'll stick around for a bit.

Now to download that Coalguys version you said...:D
Apr 3, 2010 5:09 AM

Aug 2009
Promising. I really liked the BGM. The insert song was good. The characters are a weird and great bunch, interesting. I also liked the funny parts. It was nice for a first episode.
Apr 3, 2010 5:15 AM
Jun 2008
A wierd anime came out.there is a lot of " why?how?what? " spinning around my head.At least it has a nice setting.I guess this anime will be great depend on how the question being answer in the end ^^
Apr 3, 2010 5:20 AM

Aug 2009
Maximatum99 said:
No... I don't have a point. I was not referring to this, but any other series that's obviously a lame ecchi harem animu and judge it from the first episode.

What Maximatum's trying to say I think is "So it's okay to dislike a generic harem comedy like for example B Gata H Kei from the first episode but it's not okay to dislike this?"[
garfield15Apr 3, 2010 5:23 AM
Apr 3, 2010 5:31 AM

Nov 2008
garfield15 said:
Maximatum99 said:

What Maximatum's trying to say I think is "So it's okay to dislike a generic harem comedy like for example B Gata H Kei from the first episode but it's not okay to dislike this?"[
What I am saying is simply implying that you can judge the over dose of sexual ecchi harem anime from the first episode and still change it later on since the foundation of comedy, personalities and relationships shows; basically... Oh and I just thought B Gata H Kei was fucking horrible but I'll watch the next episode to see if it sinks in.

This however, you got to wait and see...
Maximatum99Apr 3, 2010 5:45 AM
Apr 3, 2010 5:40 AM
Jun 2008
So many negative comment up there, Pun Pun ^^ LOL
Apr 3, 2010 5:43 AM
Jun 2008
So many negative comment up there, Pun Pun ^^ LOL
Apr 3, 2010 5:49 AM

Sep 2009
Hmm... yeah, a pretty decent episode. Like the premise, the characters seem like they might be good, and there's promise for a potentially good plot in there... A bit early to say anything definitive, though. The performance seemed unnecessary, but not unenjoyable, and the fight scene was pretty good. Yuri is about as much of a Haruhi expy as I was expecting, but that's not a particularly bad thing.

However, that one girl's gimmick of "How very shallow" seems like it'll be really annoying and unfunny. -__-

Also, was that an actual native English-speaking voice actor for that one (presumably) American guy?
Apr 3, 2010 5:50 AM

Aug 2009
I just watched the first episode and... WOW!
I've been completely sucked in by Angel Beats. I liked everything and can't wait how the story goes on, through I don't know if the Haruhi similarities were necessary^^'
Very nice insert song too!

Just one question, the Mazui v2 subs were real, right?
Apr 3, 2010 5:55 AM

Aug 2007
Yes SkyDX. Go get the patch otherwise.

It was really nice for a first episode. Better than I expected. Well, I guess Otonashi is actually a reincarnation of a dog or something, as Otonashi means something as 'stay quite'. Enjoyed the 100-combo. Also, Angel for the win. Did someone else also thought that Yuri with that hat on looked like Yuuko from ef or is it just me?
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Pages (14) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1752 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 23, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

565 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 21, 2010

388 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - May 14, 2010

538 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 9:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.