Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 15, 2009 11:08 PM

Aug 2007
WOW - The characters in this show REALLY pissed me off.
HOW DUMB can some of them be?

Firstly, Shu - there's optimism and there's just plain stupidity. And he NEVER learnt, TWICE, by two different people, he got told that he must use strategy and tactics but all he ever does throughout the whole show is rush in with a stick and start hitting, no matter what. His own self righteousness really gets me as well, even a little kid would pick up a gun, what's with him?! - This is war, learn to adapt to your situation FFS.

That woman who aids Hamdo, WHAT THE HELL?! Why would ANYONE put up with that? It's clear that he's unstable, it's clear that she's being used, it's clear that if anyone follows him, it'll only lead to a dead end. Sure, follow him your whole damn life only when enemy defeats him does she betray him. I thought she would have at least done the honourable thing and drowned with him.

RAAAAGE!!!!
Jun 24, 2009 8:23 PM
May 2008
MRLX69: First Shu is very admireable for doing what he did. Not picking up the gun takes a certian type of person. He's a good human being because of it. Why should he have to adapt to the world? He should instead try and change the world...that's the point.

And the women, Lady Abelia , probally was in love with King Hamdo. That would explain a lot. The English Voice actor compared it to women who stay in abuseive relationships, and a weird father like relationshp with him. I'd have to agree with her on both accounts. That would make sense. But yes that is the one question left unanswered by this series, that many wonder about. The most supported and popular theory is that She fell in love with him BEFORE he was insane. She then kept doing what he said, out of love and respect. But by the end,she TRULY relized how freaken NUTS the guy was, and thought it was best for the world if he were to die.
Jun 24, 2009 9:00 PM

Jun 2009
Prede said:
MRLX69: First Shu is very admireable for doing what he did. Not picking up the gun takes a certian type of person. He's a good human being because of it. Why should he have to adapt to the world? He should instead try and change the world...that's the point.

And the women, Lady Abelia , probally was in love with King Hamdo. That would explain a lot. The English Voice actor compared it to women who stay in abuseive relationships, and a weird father like relationshp with him. I'd have to agree with her on both accounts. That would make sense. But yes that is the one question left unanswered by this series, that many wonder about. The most supported and popular theory is that She fell in love with him BEFORE he was insane. She then kept doing what he said, out of love and respect. But by the end,she TRULY relized how freaken NUTS the guy was, and thought it was best for the world if he were to die.

My sentiments exactly. Especially since this isn't Shu's world. It's one thing to believe in nonviolence when you grew up in a time of war' it's another when you are just dropped right in the middle of it. And remember that one should always change the things he/she can never accept. This anime would have been ruined otherwise.

And Abelia was in love, obviously.

Ryushi said:
No, those are the things you do when you don't know how to finish up the series, so up just insert an open ending.

Well, its not open, but it had much more possibilities.
I mean, so he is back to earth... Will he change his "fighting style"? Will he fing lalaru's look a like (Not sara.)? Will he fight that kendo kid again?

Another extra episode telling the "after story" really wouldn't hurt anyone.

An extra episode would actually hurt this story. You're complaining about the possibilities, but in actuality they aren't. Anyone who watched the series would have an answer to your questions (because we know Shu). The ending wasn't open, like you said. And as the person you replied to said before, the best endings always leave you wanting more.

One of the five anime that really suprised me.
fisher_88Jun 24, 2009 9:15 PM
Jun 29, 2009 8:51 AM

May 2007
fisher_88 said:
An extra episode would actually hurt this story. You're complaining about the possibilities, but in actuality they aren't. Anyone who watched the series would have an answer to your questions (because we know Shu). The ending wasn't open, like you said. And as the person you replied to said before, the best endings always leave you wanting more.
I already had enough of open endings.
And i must say, that this specific open ending was horrible comparing to the full series.

It ended like nothing had happened at all.
I mean, sure, Shu's objective was to stay they way he was, but acting like nothing had happened is just so unreal and flat that kind of messes up with all that psycology that the series was using as base.
Jul 17, 2009 4:59 AM

Jan 2009
that was really good! it's not the best ending i have ever seen, but it was one of the better one's. i wanted more of when he got home and the effects of the things that transpired when he was in the other world. this was quite good, and la la ru had a very annoying name. but la la and shu were complete opposites. hard to believe that they fell in love. but in the end i give it a 9/10. a great anime.
Jul 29, 2009 3:51 AM

Oct 2008
Pushed a little harder than normal and finished this series in 3 days. This has to be one of the more depressing series I've seen. This last episode did not have as much impact on me compared to some of the previous episodes, although the ending was not too bad. I kind of wish it had a little more closure though, compared to this rather open ending.

I still can't and don't agree with Shu's way of thinking and way of doing things, but still, I guess he stuck to his ideals right till the very end in not shooting other people with a gun. Although his optimism still annoyed me since good things do not necessarily happen to those who continue living.

This series should be at least an 8/10 or 9/10. I'm not sure what more I can wish for in the ending other than a little more closure.
Jul 30, 2009 8:09 PM
May 2008
TYSM: More closure? What else do you want? Did you want to see like Shu after everything was over, and he's living a normal life again? That be pointless...

There's nothing left to show, or close up. Shu saved as much people as he could, Hamdo is dead, Lala-Ru disapeared, and Sara was going to take care of the kids. Shu even got back to his time (or world). I thought it was a perfect ending. There's nothing more to show. If they were to show us anymore IMO it would ruin the ending. There is always the threat of making an ending "go to far" past when the conflict is over, and this series avoided that masterfully. Take Gurren Lagann and the Red Garden OVA for two recent examples. Everything is resolved, then they KEEEEEEP going, and ruin everything. Just STOP while your ahead, for the love of god.

Now of course there are anime that give me a feeling not being satisfied. These are the opposite of going to far. They don't go far enough, and there should be more to them, or at least they should have been ended a little differently. They don't close all their plotlines, or they just stop, and are incomplete. Look no further then Kare Kano, Pumpkin Scissors, Shadow Star Narutaru, or Welcome to the NHK.

IMO this anime has one of, if not THE best ending for an anime. Hell it has the best ending period. No book, movie, or other story will probally have a better ending IMO.

Of course your entitled to your opinion. And just in case your wondering, I'm just commenting on what you say. Not bothered by it at all or anything ^^ . Not trying to bother you either, just talk.
PredeJul 30, 2009 8:13 PM
Jul 30, 2009 8:33 PM

Jun 2009
Ryushi said:
I already had enough of open endings.
And i must say, that this specific open ending was horrible comparing to the full series.

It ended like nothing had happened at all.
I mean, sure, Shu's objective was to stay they way he was, but acting like nothing had happened is just so unreal and flat that kind of messes up with all that psycology that the series was using as base.

'like nothing had happened', 'open ending'. Ha! People should get schooled on what open endings are! There are tons of classic literature you should read; better yet, just go and see some reviews on some of the greatest endings in media (choose what you like), understand what endings are and what they are/aren't supposed to accomplish.

Hint: great endings always leave you wanting more.
Aug 4, 2009 7:33 PM

Dec 2008
This gets a 10/10 from me because I couldn't have hoped for something better. Like fisher said, one of the biggest surprises I've seen in anime too.

During the last episode, I also thought it seemed rushed, with the big chance in pace, but mainly I was thinking that it seemed quite exaggerated/stupid (let's not talk about time/place warp, flying towers, water controlled by a girl and a jewel) since it seemed so easy. This could have actually ended much earlier in practically the same way (but of course, it wouldn't have been satisfying). I also thought something else made it impossible, and I figured that out when I had time to re-think quickly once the episode finished (too busy paying attention to the episode, and it could wait).

The reason I believe it couldn't have happened earlier, is because Lala Ru didn't have the same character back then. The character developments played a big part in the show. Even though she had lost trust in humans, thanks to Shu, Soon, Sis, etc, she had the opportunity to feel emotions again. Shu was right in her eyes, the world does have good people, and she gives them the chance to live with her sacrifice.

I didn't mind how Shu was just silent back in his home. Seriously, why would he start jumping around or act surprised? That would have ruined it. I see it as reflecting upon what happened, and how so much has happened, yet in his world he's the only aware. Everything he's lived through recently, everything that meant so much just 5 seconds ago, is entirely gone; only memories and feelings are left. He might even be wondering how everything will continue there, if reuniting with Lala Ru will have to wait until he dies himself, etc. The silence was the best way to express that; if we could hear him asking himself that, it'd just feel out of place, since we've rarely (if not never, I'm not 100% positive about it, although I am quite sure) heard him contemplating out loud what choice to make. We only had his answer in those situations. No answers in this one, no speech. Perfect.

An after story wouldn't be my thing. A psychological anime gets you to think, and an open ending is one of the best ways to really do that. You can imagine too many questions that you can consider will never be answered. I'm glad this one followed that route.

Although I'm very annoyed by Shu's type, loud brat, optimistic 24/7, etc, and I actually disliked him throughout most of the series, that ended up being gone by the time I reached the last episode. How he was still humane at the end was a good thing, and also let the show have optimistic messages and not mainly the bad ones about the effects of war (too many to count, although a lot are already known, I'd still guess people actually realized some things by watching it). He doesn't become a favorite character just for that though, heh.

Big sunsets were pretty epic.

I lol'd @ how Sara just ditched her family back in America.
HakoriaAug 4, 2009 7:38 PM
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Aug 20, 2009 2:44 AM

Mar 2008
This was a spectacular series but, as some people already pointed, the final episode felt really rushed. Mostly due to the fact that they omitted needed scenes for the sake of just ending the thing. Still, despite the emptiness of the episode, I did like the ending. ^_^

9/10
ArcanusAug 20, 2009 2:48 AM
Sep 14, 2009 4:22 AM

Nov 2008
Well, I don't really like Shu's kind of character either. Especially after he leaves Hellywood. I hoped for some kind of riot or else, but it seems Hamda at least did one thing right.
He he managed through fear and else to keep his men from betraying him.(Perhaps with Abelia's help)

The interesting thing was about the characters that they weren't as heroic as usually the anime characters are. They made quite large mistakes acted irreasonable and showed lesser will to change. It's kind of like how most of the people do things. It thus helped to sympatise with the characters more(at least for me).

About the rushed ending. It was only natural if they spend so much time showing the peacefull life of that village.
Anyways it was a good show, but I expected more at the beginning.
8/10
Nov 9, 2009 8:35 PM

Jul 2009
Wow! and I thought Grave of Fireflies was depressing...

So technically in the end nothing happened, except for memories of Shu and one girl from America dissappearing everything is the same....
Anyhow the anime was really great. At many times I felt really angry and sad. Shu beating Hamado with his trusty stick ( which for some reason after suffering through hell broke in the end) was really relieving. The whole Sarah part of the story made me the most worked up. Whether the ending felt rushed or not i dont know I didnt cared but in the end I did feel like What?! over? already!!, I felt like they could have shown more...Before the credits started rollling with the song(the song is amazing i just cant get it out my head, its just there) i was wishing plz dont end ..... show me something, anything...! but.......
o well.....there are hardly any animes that I have watched and given low rating all of them have 6-9/10, but 10/10 is rating I save fore animes like this.
Prede said:

hmm..never thought it like that...

fisher_88 said:

Well I would love a after story. Not something like sequel or something with an all new story, just maybe like a 20 min ep, like I said above....show me something, anything...!!
There is so much more I want to say about this anime...o well..
Jan 14, 2010 10:03 PM

Mar 2009
Hamdo really got on my nerves. I'm glad he died, and moreover, I'm glad Abelia let him die.

Anyway, I really really liked this anime. I wasn't sure what to expect when I started it, but it really turned out to be quite the dramatic journey. Really Good. I must say though, it was quite sad. There were a lot of people who died that I wish hadn't, though that added to the drama which was a good hook for the story.

I really enjoyed this.
"There are four lights!! THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!!!" - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Feb 14, 2010 10:09 PM

Apr 2008
The seiyu for Hamdo did a terrific job. I was delighted when Shu beat the crap out of him with his stick; Hamdo had a fitting dead he drown like rat.Too many sudden dead's to make me care emotionally, but nonetheless a great ending. I'm glad I stumbled into this wonderful series, I wonder why it's rated so low on MAL.

7-8/10

How's the English Dub?, I might show this to my family.
Mar 5, 2010 3:36 PM

Apr 2009
Such a bittersweet ending, with Nabuca and Sis dying...(I think I'm not mistaken when I say no one misses Tabool and personally, I don't miss Lala-Ru.)
What surprised me at first is that Sara didn't go back to America...but thinking about it now, how could she? After all those things she's been through, and with Sis's kids having no one left alive...

...Funny, how I have many things to say while I'm watching the episode, and when the whole series ends, I don't really know what to write about it. I'll try anyway.

Well, after the first few episodes I didn't expect myself to enjoy this as much as I did by the end. What I find unusual, and adding so much to the storytelling's intensity, is that the creators never spared us anything - we just watched a show about children who kill each other, for crying out loud.
Even if the very ending with Shu going back home was a little too quick, it left no bad impression, at least on me.
I'll definitely remember this one for a long time. Glad I picked it up :)

Edit: Ah, and in the end, it was Abelia who killed Hamdo. Way to wake up, darling.
CenedessMar 5, 2010 3:40 PM
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Mar 7, 2010 12:36 AM
Jul 2009
Well, I started this last weekend, watched a few episodes here and there up to episode 5, and then finished all the rest tonight.

Despite what a lot of people seem to think, I liked the ending. I thought Sara staying behind with Sis's kids was the right thing to do, and then with Shu when he got back and his bag was there at the place, like nothing had happened...I liked that. The reason I liked it I think, is that it's like, what are you supposed to do now? He just went through all that insanely horrible stuff, saw people beaten, war, death, and yet, suddenly he's smack dab right where he was before all of that. If that happened to you, do you really know what you'd do next? Cause I sure don't, and he seemed almost like he felt lost when he was back, and to me, that really fit.

I gave this 9/10.
Apr 28, 2010 4:32 PM

May 2009
I was rather disappointed in the anime as a whole. I mean, almost all of the reviews I had read of it spoke of it's thought provoking look at war and how it was a depressing look at the world, etc. etc. Yet that part of the story rarely affected me like that at all.

As for the ending, I think it was more suited for the opening quote that you saw throughout the entire anime. All of the time he spent in that world, the relationships he built, how easily destroyed they were. Like his stick he had with him. It stuck with him throughout the entire series, and then... just like that... it was gone. I mean, I don't know about anyone else, but I probably felt more attached to that stick than to anyone else in the story. I felt like there was little effort to forge a connection between the watcher and the characters. Sure some of them I felt a twinge towards when they died, but all in all it was just a "oh, looks like they're done for."

All in all, I gave it a 7/10.
"To be ignorant and to be deceived are two different things. To be ignorant is to be a slave of the world. To be deceived is to be the slave of another man. The question will always be: Why, when all men are ignorant, and therefore already slaves, does this latter slavery sting us so?"
~ R. Scott Baker
Jul 21, 2010 2:44 AM
Dec 2009
Well that ended abruptly. Most of the storylines got chopped off at the end and there was no time to reflect on the things that did get resolved. After watching all the terrible thing happening to children I'd expect more from the end.

Also, isn't it ironic that the only way to save the day was to kill the bad guy in the end? Wasn't the point of the show is to tell us that killing is always bad under every possable circumstance? I think the truth is a little more complicated than that so I wish they didn't make everything so darn simplistic for the show.

Despite it's flawed ending, it was at least better than anything that AIC is making these days.
Jul 24, 2010 3:01 PM

Mar 2010
this is the most epic anime i have watched that was in dubbed version i honestly enjoyed this anime regardless of how long it has been since i watched this

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 6, 2010 3:45 AM
Jul 2010
This is my favourite anime series because the ending was amazing. It was the most brilliant ending I have seen in any anime. I loved the final scene where he is looking back at the sunset, it helped the new perspective on "moving forward" resonate in my head. I mean, Shu's constantly optimistic, forward looking attitude is the focus of the anime and we get the feeling that the writer is trying to tell us to constantly move forward because "good things will come". However, during that final scene he brings us back to the first episode. We realise that Shu will always remember Lala Ru and the alternate world whenever he sees a sunset. We realise that looking back, reflecting on the past, treasuring the memories of things you may never see again, those things are just as important as moving forward in life.

Of course there are the other obvious themes/ideas, but that's what really rung in my head when i watched this anime.

Anyway, obviously 10/10 for me :P
Oct 20, 2010 6:38 PM

Dec 2008
I wish I could kill every single character in this entire series. Not one of them would be spared my godlike wrath, and their torment would be eternal.
But sadly, it's just an anime.

6/10 because I couldn't bring myself to think that even one of the characters were decent. And the only believable character was Sara.
Oct 23, 2010 4:44 AM
Jul 2010
Rushed!!! The anime was suppose to end with Shu defeating his friend in Kempo and learning from the world that he went to! All the characters in the show were of derp status and did extremely stupid things, such as when the terrorist from the earlier episodes could of killed Hamdon but threw a body on the desk instead and missed as though they had Storm-trooper(star wars) aim.That ending was way too rushed for my liking. Overall, 8/10 >_>
zerolv30000Dec 7, 2010 6:04 PM
Nov 22, 2010 7:00 PM
Jun 2009
Sara was the best character in the show by far and the one who had the most development even though she did not have a ton of screen time. Actually, looking back Nabuca was the most developed but he didn't compare to Sara.

I really loved this anime and I am glad I decided to pick it up. The soldier who most likely impregnated Sara turned out to be not that terrible of a person but I find it hard to think of him as a likable character after what he did.

The ending few episodes were a bit rushed but if I was Shu I don't know how I could return home after what I just went through.
XxMalcolmNov 23, 2010 10:39 AM
Dec 4, 2010 5:40 PM

Nov 2010
Awful series, the characters were so one-dimensional and all the drama was completely forced. I love how the character deaths always drawn out and ridiculous like a B action movie. It was often more absurd than a dumb parody of action movies.

Also I don't quite understand why a massive ship which is searching for water would completely falter when it gets drenched or why Sara would accept living because Shu gave a generic speech on how living is better than dying and it will be worth it(?).

I personally think a story without Shu and a story revolving around Nabuca would've been more interesting character-wise.
Dec 9, 2010 9:25 PM

Aug 2010
Closest feeling I can compare the ending of this series to would be TTGL. But TTGL didn't have such absolute gruesome details to it. I suppose I should say TTGL reminds me of this anime instead, although I watched this one after.

This story was amazing, to say the least.

A tragic end, with hope for the future.

Sara obviously couldn't return home. It'd be better for her family to assume she ran away/is dead/etc, than for her to return home pregnant, attempt to explain what happened and have no one believe her for the rest of her life. At least in the "future," as long as she is alive she can help make a difference, and I think Shu helped her realize this (as much as he annoys the hell out of me). I probably felt the most for Sara throughout, but that's likely common for most of you.

As far as the ending being rushed, I agree to an extent. I don't really want to know what Shu did, I think that's already pretty obvious. Something I'm curious about is Lala-ru. The way it happens in the anime it seems like when the water is all dispersed throughout the planet, the girl also disperses.

So at what point did the water decide to dry up and collect into the pendant? If the plant was indeed earth in the future, how long had the water been dried? Was it just because of the world-wide conquest of Hamdo? Lala-ru mentions being alive for so much longer than others, but is that to mean she has been in human form for that long? Or has she always been "alive," even as water?

I guess I'm asking for a lot here, but it didn't really need to be word for word, this is exactly how things are. Even some hints about how she came to be, I guess. But really this is just curiosity, and doesn't affect my enjoyment of the series overall.

In the end a 9/10 from me, fantastic series.
Dec 9, 2010 9:59 PM

Sep 2007
If you want to feel depressed by watching anime then this is it
Dec 29, 2010 7:04 PM

Jan 2008
^ yep, I can stand a lot but rape isn't one of them T_T
Jan 10, 2011 4:42 PM

Dec 2010
Fantastic series. Some pretty horrifying moments (Shu trying to save the assassin in ep 5 comes to mind), but overall it packs a serious punch. Marathoned it in about a day :-D

BTW, the soldier who actually raped Sara is the ugly one who gets about 4 seconds of screen time total. I forget the episode, but she picks him out in a crowd and panics for a few moments. Her reaction to the 'nice' soldier was just the same reaction she gave to any soldier (remember the almost rapist?)

I'ma give it 9/10
"Ah yes, the demon drink...'Nature's Alzheimer's' they call it"
Jan 16, 2011 3:51 AM

Sep 2008
I think this series really captured a lot of what Japanese youth wish... sans the rape, slavery and killing. In the end, good won out in most everyone's heart and those that did not were killed. Shu got to go home and saving a world is all in a day's work for him.

It certainly was an excruciating story though. Deaths riddled everywhere such as Sis and Soon break my heart.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2011 9:49 PM
Jun 2009
teasaveslives said:
Fantastic series. Some pretty horrifying moments (Shu trying to save the assassin in ep 5 comes to mind), but overall it packs a serious punch. Marathoned it in about a day :-D

BTW, the soldier who actually raped Sara is the ugly one who gets about 4 seconds of screen time total. I forget the episode, but she picks him out in a crowd and panics for a few moments. Her reaction to the 'nice' soldier was just the same reaction she gave to any soldier (remember the almost rapist?)

I'ma give it 9/10

she was also raped by him as well.
Feb 1, 2011 7:26 AM

Dec 2010
XxMalcolm said:
teasaveslives said:

I'ma give it 9/10

Really? Which episode?
"Ah yes, the demon drink...'Nature's Alzheimer's' they call it"
Feb 8, 2011 6:56 PM

Feb 2008
Yeah, lots of messed up stuff happened in this series. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the ending and the show overall. Definitely not a feel-good anime, but it gets some other emotions stirring.

8/10

Glad I watched it.
Mar 1, 2011 2:16 AM

Jul 2007
Amazing emotionally powerful story line. I am definitely going to have to write a review on this show.

One of my favorite series. You ever get that feeling when watching a 13 ep anime series thats its just not enough, like its a short season that they can expand upon by a whole alot. I certainly do on most occasions, but this show really had such great pacing to it and i felt like i was actually watching a good 26 episodes series instead of a 13 episodes series.

Truly a remarkable masterpiece, well directed and written.

Mar 25, 2011 9:08 AM

Mar 2007
Noooooo! Nabucaaaaa!

In other news, this was a pretty good anime. Gotta go now read about actual child soldiers.
Apr 23, 2011 5:00 PM

Jan 2011
The series was amazing! Such a distinctive and heavy-handed series. All of the characters were flawed, and that's a good thing.

The ending was rushed, but I'm glad it finished in a happy way. :)

9/10
May 11, 2011 4:56 PM

Apr 2009
I'm somewhat satisfied with the ending and foresaw most of the events happening, like Abelia turning on Hamdo and Sara choosing to stay, but like others I felt it was rushed. Still don't know why Abelia is so devoted to Hamdo. Yeah she was in love with him, but why? No background or back-story. The story never fleshed out her character and I thought she was the most one-dimensional characters in the series.

Also I like Shu's optimism, because he was proactive about it and he had a lot of determination. It's wasn't blind optimism or sit on your ass hoping for good things to happen, he made them happen and pushed through. It's one thing to say it, but it means much more when you do it.

One last thing, Hamdo got off easy. He deserved much worse.
MiraiLinkMay 14, 2011 2:50 AM
Sep 19, 2011 10:07 AM

Aug 2010
teasaveslives said:
XxMalcolm said:
teasaveslives said:

I'ma give it 9/10

Really? Which episode?

I don't remember which episode but she was. Its inferred that she (and really all other girls kidnapped to Hellywood, who we don't meet but they're mentioned in a few conversations) is raped by all the men she is carted to in chains by the boy soldiers so they can try to impregnate her, except the last one that she kills before he can.

Pretty good show, hella depressing, could have been better though. 8/10
Oct 12, 2011 5:42 AM

Aug 2010
Sheer disappointment for me after all the praise I have read about it. It has some very strong points, especially around Sara's and Nabuca's characters. Still, the flaws are noticeably there and take away a lot from the enjoyment value. 7/10.
Feb 18, 2012 5:02 PM

Sep 2011
its a freaking crime that this show is so unknown and underrated, i dont think ive seen another show pull off the emotions this show did. And people need to give this ending more credit, they wrapped everything up and managed to make a ending that was both depressing but uplifting

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 25, 2012 7:25 PM

May 2010
A show full of contradictions and ridiculous plot. How on earth does a trained soldier (Abelia) miss when her target is right in front of her?

4/10
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 19, 2012 8:06 AM

Jan 2012
i haven't commented on any of the other eps, the reason being, i marathoned the S**t out of this, literally all done in one sitting aside from toilet breaks and food. This series was amazing for me, brilliant plot-line, great characters, emotional, shock factor, action, crazy ass leader.... I couldn't have asked for me... well actually, I wish it would have been longer to tie up a few things but apart from that, very much a 9 and earning a spot in my favourites!
Apr 21, 2012 4:31 PM

Nov 2007
Finally got around to watching this classic. I can certainly feel the flair of 90s anime here with solid story telling and great direction. While I must commend the creators for the heavy message and dark mood, I've also got to say that for such an approach a much more realistic handling would have been necessary. Shu winning fights with a wooden stick against guns? Over and over? Seriously? The 2 assassins failing in their attempt at Hamdo's life? Ridiculous! In a non-anime-environment a character like Shu would not have lived long enough to even make one of his generic speeches. "Everything will turn out well, I promise" - really? I really couldn't come to like his character, it seemed so stereotypical and uncalled for with such a dark story. There were also quite a few questions left unadressed that I felt were rather important, one being Abelia's loyalty (or rather devotion) for such a creep. Some things were just so convenient, simply to make the story run for 13 episodes. Having said all that, I was weirdly fascinated by the show and watched it in a single day. However, I can't really say that I enjoyed it. Important message but somewhat lackluster execution in the details. The series could not transcend its anime-origin - which I feel it needed to in order to fully succeed.
May 14, 2012 8:13 PM

Dec 2009
Watching Hamdo got beaten by a wooden stick made this series worth it for me.
Jun 28, 2012 10:52 PM
Feb 2012
That ending was really sad I thought, lala-ru just vanished away and asked if her and Shu can watch the sunset again someday :'(
Jul 14, 2012 3:37 AM

Jul 2012
Such a beautiful, strong, and meaningful ending to this anime! I really loved the sense of closure with the death of Hamdo and Sara finding peace with herself!
I would definitely give a 10 for the last three episodes and an 8 for the whole anime
Jul 23, 2012 2:55 PM

Jul 2011
What a wonderful anime! Watching the first episode I never expected that the series could become so sad, cruel and cynical.

The story is nothing special but the interaction between the characters and the realism of the events have been really well done!

I think the end is right, for Sara to return to the earth would have been embarrassing and complicated after all that suffering, but mainly because of being pregnant and Shu finally was able to go home and try to live a normal life.

One of the few series that I will hardly forget. 9/10
Sep 27, 2012 2:57 AM

Oct 2010
Why Lalaru die?!!!!.....Why Sara not going back to earth?

minoru09 said:
Watching Hamdo got beaten by a wooden stick made this series worth it for me.

Yeah, F*cking insane Hamdo beaten to crap by wooden stick and drown to death......
Signature Removed
Oct 4, 2012 10:40 AM
Apr 2011
aiNkyy said:
What a wonderful anime! Watching the first episode I never expected that the series could become so sad, cruel and cynical.

The story is nothing special but the interaction between the characters and the realism of the events have been really well done!

I think the end is right, for Sara to return to the earth would have been embarrassing and complicated after all that suffering, but mainly because of being pregnant and Shu finally was able to go home and try to live a normal life.

One of the few series that I will hardly forget. 9/10

Its a few months later, but I just want to say that Saras decision was retarded, why not take those kids to our world so they can actually live decent lives and not die of starvation in the desert, or where she will die from childbirth complications in a cave.

Also so she never wants to go home and see her parents who are probably destroyed by the fact that she will just dissapear?

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Oct 6, 2012 1:13 PM

Jul 2011
I didn't like the ending at all, it destroyed what the series achieved. First off they make a point of making Sara's psychological after-rape state as realistic as possible, then in like 5 seconds she self cures herself and finds enlightenment. A woman her age in her condition would be very unlikely to keep the child, or being able to take care of it anyway, she would need heavy psychological counselling after that not more responsabilities. Also, why would she stay in a chaotic land with ex melitias running loose rather than return to her obviously worried parents. I'm also really pissed at the obortion deal, it felt like conservative christian crap to me, it's like they outright said to her that decent people don't have abortions.

Then there's Abelia, really! It is almost impossible that she wouldn't be executed, but I guess since Sara being a reborn saint and getting appointed as commander and chief she gives the orders now. And with all the crap she did should she be spared?

I also found all the heroic sacrifices they did to pass the trash of the cast as decent characters annoying. Sara's rapist redeems himself because deep down he's really a good person; what a load! Yeah sure, he's the kind of guy you want dating your daughter. Some scenes were just utterly stupid.

Off course the series had more than just the ending as a weak point, having a shounen hero didn't help either. Don't get me wrong I like shounens, I love them actually, but some genres just don't mix and a gripping realistic depiction of the horrors of war in a post-apocalyptic land DOES NOT need Naruto as the lead. Then there was the character focus, seriously, the boring shounen lead gets almost all of the screen time when the focus should have really been on Sara: she was the best character right up until the final episode. Though to be honest I wasn't too fond on how our shounen lead's speech saved her from depression; heck psychiatry is overrated, you don't need an expert to anylize you for years to help you pass your post-kidnapping/rape/impregnation trauma, all you need is an idealistic teen to give you the shounen "never give up" rethoric.

In retrospect I liked the series (7/10) but I would have preferred to love it and I honestly can't. Don't get me wrong, a 7 is plenty from me, it means I not only liked it but will re-watch it one day. But it also means the series as it share of flaws.
Arch-DefenderOct 6, 2012 5:24 PM
Nov 2, 2012 3:52 AM

Aug 2012
Disappointing really, everyone expecting Sara to keep the baby repulsed me and I would've liked to see that world die. Too many random things that don't make sense either and too much crap thrown together. Overrated and bad imo.

That being said, Lala Ru disappearing was a nice tough, sad, but nice.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Curious about the title….

Eykosca - Nov 28, 2023

1 by ErogakiPatches »»
Dec 1, 2023 1:38 AM

» How good would you consider the ending and characters? Would you guys consider this wasted potential?

_Arc4n1_ - Apr 25, 2021

10 by Eykosca »»
Nov 28, 2023 4:01 PM

» What a great main character!

Dd5 - Sep 3, 2022

10 by Dd5 »»
Oct 31, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 1 Discussion

Kayro - Mar 31, 2008

49 by dspr »»
Aug 31, 2023 12:01 PM

» Why is everyone against Sara’s decision in the final episode?

ShogunofSorrow12 - Mar 13, 2022

5 by Stripes »»
Jun 21, 2023 5:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.