Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 10, 2020 10:09 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Echo and Mu are going to have to depend on each other if they truly want to survive in this show.

Really curious how much they'll focus on those mysterious women. It seems they know more than they let on. And not to mention, the Earless in this series are like an engima that I want to know more about. I'm also starting to like Mu more with her personaltiy.
Apr 10, 2020 11:47 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
LOL, it's only now that I realize that the girls are named after the legendary German noise rock band Einsturzende Neubaten. I never expected to see that reference in an anime.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 10, 2020 11:54 AM
Sep 2015
Better than previous episode
Apr 10, 2020 12:01 PM

Mar 2016
Damn, that opening is really cool.
Apr 10, 2020 12:18 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Players can be really agressive, it was a good episode, I hope Mu is fine
Apr 10, 2020 12:38 PM

Jan 2014
Love how we're exploring more of this world, and now throwing some mystery on top of it all.
Apr 10, 2020 12:39 PM

Jul 2017
The opening was nice, song was dope and I like how they were going about the visuals for that with the quick cuts, made it feel like a trailer to a degree. Dope.

The rest of the episode was... not as fun. Found it to be very boring and honestly, I don't expect anything from the future episodes either. For now, this is gonna be my first dropped show of the season.

Might pick it up again if I hear better reception eventually, but for now, just not interesting nor exciting at all for me. Although, wouldn't mind giving the opening a few relistens.
Apr 10, 2020 12:51 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm pretty catchy OP. Though forced out of the town of his birth at least Echo is finally able to see the world outside for the first time. Looks like U and echo finally meet their first villains but man their design sure is unique. Echo's interaction with the three sisters though via his innocent nature sure was amusing. Looks like U's amnesia is also the source of her lack of powers as a player. Overall a decent ep that while doing well in expanding upon the lore and building the foundation for Echo and M's development also did well to introduce the first hostile faction. Can't wait to see how the cliffhanger plays out next ep though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 10, 2020 12:56 PM

Nov 2016
There are many music industry refeernces aside from maybe Liverchester(lol) I won't be able to get xD

But still more or less interesting episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 10, 2020 1:07 PM

Apr 2015
Was Echo going the bathroom an illusion as well as all the "fight" that happened between Mu and those three girls in black? I got a bit confused as what was real. All I know is that Echo was fake as he's clothed.
All men, kings or peasants, die equally.
Apr 10, 2020 1:09 PM
Apr 2019
I'm glad we get to see more of the world and the lore behind Players and Earless. The sisters were interesting if not over the top with their speech and presentation. Normally those kinds of things annoy me, but I kind of like it. Granted, we know nothing about them but now I'm more interested in them.
The last 5 minutes were pretty great. I'm looking forward to more especially after that cliffhanger.
Apr 10, 2020 1:21 PM

May 2015
Cool OP, nice ED, really pleasant-looking art but the story seems so meh... What's even going on, so weird.
Apr 10, 2020 1:25 PM

Feb 2019
I think this may be show of the season honestly. It’s really being slept on but it’s got everything from cool fights, comedy, nice animation and art to loveable characters. Reminds me a lot of FLCL and a Trigger show. Really enjoying it so far. Mu is contender for best girl of the year

I really like that OP too.

No need to hold it in echo, if you gotta go, you gotta go.

Going into this episode I was thinking the triplets and Mu were kind of like the androids in Nier:Automata , given Mu has their same hair colour, I thought they could all be clones or siblings in a sense. Not sure how that holds up now. I think “dada” is the figure that echo saw in his flashback, maybe the original player? And that’s why no one knew who he was

Next episode may have some more reveals about this since echo seems to have remembered something from the end. Can’t wait for next week!

Edit: no idea why MAL allows scoring of shows two episodes in. It’s ridiculous that this is sitting at a 6.40.
Marinate1016Apr 10, 2020 1:29 PM
Apr 10, 2020 1:53 PM

Dec 2014
Interesting detail, that the abandoned city in this episode is most probably Chernobyl or Pripyat. That seen especially good in the middle of the episode and in the ending (you can see the crest of the USSR at the top of the building in the middle and some text on top-left, which seems like the header of Polissya hotel). I wonder if it's just a reference or part of the plot.
Apr 10, 2020 1:58 PM

Jan 2013
Why did that city look like Pripyat lmao
Apr 10, 2020 2:25 PM

Feb 2017
Was an interesting episode. OP is pretty cool too.
I like that trio, they are amusing.
Apr 10, 2020 2:36 PM
Mar 2020
I love the art style and the animation (especially in the opening) is incredible. I really hope this is the kind of quality to expect of the coming episodes.

So far the story is just barely keeping me invested enough to anticipate the next episode, but I really don't get the 6.40 rating. It's way too early to judge from the anime alone.
Apr 10, 2020 2:42 PM
Feb 2008
This episode was really bad for me and a lot worse than first one.
Story seems really messy and the animation was really bad.
Budget seems to be a lot too low for this kind of anime
Apr 10, 2020 2:59 PM

Jun 2013
Can we talk about that OPENING?? That was awesome, and I enjoyed the animation in it too.
This episode was a bit harder for me to watch than the first one but still interesting! I hope it starts to pick up soon. I feel bad for Mu right now though!
dear me
Apr 10, 2020 3:00 PM

Aug 2013
Decent episode, I guess.

The trio sisters were quite amusing. The OP is pretty good.

Apr 10, 2020 4:37 PM
Jun 2017
this show has potential but idk if it'll actually be any good lol
Apr 10, 2020 5:11 PM
Jul 2016
Farabeuf said:
LOL, it's only now that I realize that the girls are named after the legendary German noise rock band Einsturzende Neubaten. I never expected to see that reference in an anime.

I agree, absolutely unexpected to see a reference of my favorite band in an anime. "Let's do it dada" is a song included in Einstürzende Neubauten album "Alles Wieder Offen" (2007).
Another reference is the title of this episode: Track 02 - Halber Mensch. Title track from E.N. 1985 album.
Apr 10, 2020 6:26 PM
Jan 2017
This episode was weird but in a fun way. Echo and Mu get in serious trouble with those mysterious women and they, and we the audience, no longer know the difference between illusion and reality. Both the distorted sounds and the muted lighting helped the episode put up an aura of uneasiness and dread. Hopefully, our heroes will find a way to get out of this one alive. This series is really fun. I think the first episode generated a lot of momentum for the series and if it keeps this up, it can be one of the finest shows of the season.
Apr 10, 2020 6:38 PM

Jan 2020
strungout72 said:

I agree, absolutely unexpected to see a reference of my favorite band in an anime. "Let's do it dada" is a song included in Einstürzende Neubauten album "Alles Wieder Offen" (2007).
Another reference is the title of this episode: Track 02 - Halber Mensch. Title track from E.N. 1985 album.

Also, when they introduce themselves to Echo, one of them says "the observers of the new buildings that will collapse", a reference to the band's name. The last place to expect Neubauten references. And from the teaser, the next episode will have some shout-outs to My Bloody Valentine.
Apr 10, 2020 6:40 PM

Dec 2014
Decent episode but I'm not sure what to think of it now.

I like the dynamic between Mu and Echo though but I feel like they were trying too much with the quirky sisters.

All the music references are probably lost on me.
Apr 10, 2020 6:47 PM

Feb 2014
There was no reason for him to go urinate there, he could have just done it outside.
Apr 10, 2020 6:48 PM

Mar 2010
I"m really not sure how to feel. They let the intimate moment go to a loss was hoping for mroe character development. Eh idk I just hope this turns around. The battling is cheeky asf.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 10, 2020 6:53 PM
Jul 2015
The sound design kinda annoys me tbh. All those guitar noises. I get the idea, but I'm not feeling it.
Apr 10, 2020 7:12 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
… Why do the Earless have ears?

Like about half of the previous comments, I'm also on the fence leaning toward dropping. It does feel a bit like a Trigger series (just a bit), but I'm still not really feeling it despite that.
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Apr 10, 2020 7:19 PM
Jan 2018
Honestly, this show has been pretty lackluster. I never watched the trailer, just read the synopsis and I had hope for something that talked at least once about rock history, instead of just giving obscure references that most people will miss. The animation looks good, but the fighting was underwhelming. The earless, which has ears, seem almost irrelevant minus them supposedly being this big bad evil thing. The OP and ED are cool, but the music in the show itself is just guitar. The characters are receiving less than adequate development for the early part of the show. I'll keep watching for a few more episodes, but its really disappointing me so far.
Apr 10, 2020 7:48 PM

Jun 2013
Great episode, though i seem to be in the minority with that thought
Apr 10, 2020 7:54 PM

Oct 2008
The OP visuals are exhilarating! Good Job MAPPA!

Apr 10, 2020 8:48 PM

Sep 2018
Good episode again, OP and Ed were very nice. 8/10. I'm guessing that mysterious man is her father? Looked like a female though tbh lol....
Apr 10, 2020 8:59 PM

Feb 2018
Nah, not my thing.

Too weird and mecha fights are below average. Also I'm not a biggest rock fan, so all that references to the random rock groups mean nothing to me.

At least OP is good, especially the visuals.
Apr 10, 2020 10:45 PM

Feb 2019
No idea what's going on.
Apr 11, 2020 12:02 AM
Mar 2020
Oh, i see. Another one of those "we're making shit up as we go along" originals.
Apr 11, 2020 1:26 AM

Jan 2016
Kinda weird and confusing episode, though I don't really mind. Looks like we'll learn more about other Players in the next episode.

But damn, the OP is really nice. I truly felt the Jin vibes in there. The ED was pretty great as well.
Apr 11, 2020 1:42 AM

Aug 2013
This series is gonna wind up heading down one of a few paths: 1.) Completely made up with no real direction as it goes along only to somehow make sense in the end. 2.) Become a series that makes no sense right now and is better off binged due to a weird narrative order 3.) Be yet another original series that needed 2 cours to actually be fleshed out but got forced into one 4.) Just become yet another pile of wasted potential that subverts expectations.

Either way, I find myself leaning more towards drop at this point in time. That clusterfuck I just saw was a solid 2/5
Don't believe the hype.
Apr 11, 2020 5:00 AM

Jun 2015
Not sure what turned up at the end or if the weird sisters are good or bad. One thing for sure though, this show is mental!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Apr 11, 2020 5:36 AM

Aug 2015
Think I'll give this one more episode before I decide whether to drop it or not. I'm still confused about what this show is trying to be. The mechs and CG fights look really ugly, but I'm hoping the setting and quirkiness have the potential to carry it.
Apr 11, 2020 9:00 AM

Mar 2016
BLLEEEEHHHH, this episode just suddenly went to stupid mode. Doesn't feel like a good sense of timing to suddenly escalate things. God the baddies sound annoying as shit.

At least that ED I can fuck with.
Apr 11, 2020 10:30 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
nervous_sad_poor said:
strungout72 said:

Also, when they introduce themselves to Echo, one of them says "the observers of the new buildings that will collapse", a reference to the band's name. The last place to expect Neubauten references. And from the teaser, the next episode will have some shout-outs to My Bloody Valentine.

Well spotted! Just on the strength of it's references I'm staying on with this show, no matter how bad it might get :-)
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 11, 2020 10:51 AM

Mar 2016
Oh god, the steaming urine! hahahaha

The villains got flattered when the protagonist asked for their autograph. lol.

It was hard to tell if the characters were seeing an illusion or if something else was happening.
Apr 11, 2020 11:05 AM

Nov 2011
I think if Echo died there this anime would have been a lot more interesting. Instead it's becoming a pretty generic Mecha anime. =/ Listeners is nothing special atm. Ill give it one more episode reluctantly.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 11, 2020 11:53 AM

May 2018
Oh that damn cliffhanger..................
Apr 11, 2020 12:36 PM

Sep 2017
Opening was pretty fire tbh. Show still feels like a bit of a mess but we'll see.
Apr 11, 2020 1:23 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I lost it when I noticed the reference to Einstürzende Neubauten. This is freaking amazing. I wasn't sure after episode 1, but I dig the Eureka 7 looks and have a new-found respect for all of these musical references.

Weil! Weil! Weil!

The OP looked and sounded pretty good, too!

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 11, 2020 3:46 PM

Mar 2016
animejas said:
The opening was nice, song was dope and I like how they were going about the visuals for that with the quick cuts, made it feel like a trailer to a degree. Dope.

The rest of the episode was... not as fun. Found it to be very boring and honestly, I don't expect anything from the future episodes either. For now, this is gonna be my first dropped show of the season.

Might pick it up again if I hear better reception eventually, but for now, just not interesting nor exciting at all for me. Although, wouldn't mind giving the opening a few relistens.

Looking at the director and the current situation from this episode, I doubt it gets better. The presentation of the baddies makes them come off as hella annoying, to where I can’t take them seriously and it’s just cringe. Unless if they make countless plot twists, this series sure looks like a setup I’ve seen countless times before in fiction, and quite often I’ve considered the execution a failure.
Apr 11, 2020 4:21 PM

Jul 2017
Ryuseishun said:

Looking at the director and the current situation from this episode, I doubt it gets better. The presentation of the baddies makes them come off as hella annoying, to where I can’t take them seriously and it’s just cringe. Unless if they make countless plot twists, this series sure looks like a setup I’ve seen countless times before in fiction, and quite often I’ve considered the execution a failure.

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm expecting too. Haven't been many times where I dropped something and been proven wrong about the quality of the show later on for my taste, and I don't see this show being an exception whatsoever.
Apr 11, 2020 6:55 PM
Feb 2019
Gigas001 said:
Interesting detail, that the abandoned city in this episode is most probably Chernobyl or Pripyat. That seen especially good in the middle of the episode and in the ending (you can see the crest of the USSR at the top of the building in the middle and some text on top-left, which seems like the header of Polissya hotel). I wonder if it's just a reference or part of the plot.

Definitely remembered Chernobyl/Pripyat based on that big ferris wheel and the hotels. I still remember it from Call of Duty Modern Warfare missions lol.

animejas said:
Ryuseishun said:

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm expecting too. Haven't been many times where I dropped something and been proven wrong about the quality of the show later on for my taste, and I don't see this show being an exception whatsoever.

It's a basic, but fulfilling show. If you are looking for polish, then this show may not be what you are looking for. I like it because it is a show with a basic premise and some cool ideas.

SoraSenpai said:
I think if Echo died there this anime would have been a lot more interesting. Instead it's becoming a pretty generic Mecha anime. =/ Listeners is nothing special atm. Ill give it one more episode reluctantly.

Yeah it's like an 80+% chance he didn't die, but who knows.

FuMomo-kun said:
Oh god, the steaming urine! hahahaha

The villains got flattered when the protagonist asked for their autograph. lol.

It was hard to tell if the characters were seeing an illusion or if something else was happening.

That was so weird. And they almost exposed him to us lmfao.

Roch2001 said:
Not sure what turned up at the end or if the weird sisters are good or bad. One thing for sure though, this show is mental!

I think they aren't supposed to be good or bad, that is the intent of the director, I think. If it was obvious, they would be one dimensional characters.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenApr 12, 2020 3:03 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Listeners Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2020

57 by BiobulletM »»
Oct 19, 2022 11:44 AM

» Why Do People Dislike This Show And Why Is The Overall User Score A 5.68?

Hunterconnor - May 25, 2020

19 by BlaizeV »»
Mar 23, 2022 2:42 PM

Poll: » Listeners Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2020

19 by shortkitty »»
May 29, 2021 4:11 PM

Poll: » Listeners Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Apr 3, 2020

149 by trustmuse »»
Apr 14, 2021 5:38 PM

Poll: » Listeners Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 22, 2020

22 by nyanbinary »»
Dec 28, 2020 4:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.