Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 28, 2008 2:38 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Beautiful episode. Near the beginning of the series I grumbled about the system and wished Youko would reform it, but I didnt actually expect that to happen. When Youko went and gave her final speech I almost punched my fist into the air.

A brilliant anime, as expected.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Apr 12, 2009 10:41 PM

Nov 2008
Epic.I just loved how everyone found out Youko was the queen.The whole episode was pure WIN.
Apr 18, 2009 4:46 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
just read the novels on this section, it was well written and Youko's speech was very impressive....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 24, 2009 7:21 AM
Jun 2009
Absolutely brilliant episode.
Aug 17, 2009 6:55 PM

Jun 2008
Nice finale for this arc.
Aug 17, 2009 10:19 PM
Mar 2008
Need Moar
Oct 25, 2009 2:17 AM

Sep 2008
:)
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 1, 2009 3:15 PM

Dec 2007
Wow. Best episode I've seen in a while now. It's just epic in every way.
Jun 19, 2010 1:59 PM

Jan 2008
Beatnik said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Beautiful episode. Near the beginning of the series I grumbled about the system and wished Youko would reform it, but I didnt actually expect that to happen. When Youko went and gave her final speech I almost punched my fist into the air.

-
everytime i saw someone bow, i always thought "if i was the ruler,i'd abolish that practice asap.But i didn't expect her to do it given the reactions of keiki and the ministers through the series.i felt the same way.
Jul 14, 2010 7:31 AM

Sep 2008
Simply awe inspiring. With the start of this series, I felt like it was mediocre, but as this never-ending arc pushed on, I felt too attached to many characters. I can't wait to see what happens next.

There will never be any regret watching this anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2010 10:39 AM

Mar 2009
And thus ends one of the best story arcs i ever watched in anime... It was truly awe inspiring, this whole story arc not just the episode.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Oct 12, 2010 1:44 PM

Jun 2009
Great stuff, the evolution of the three main characters, particularly Youko, has got to be some of the best character development I've seen. It's obvious that Kei Kingdom and, by extension, the Twelve Kingdoms are going to meet some much needed changes because of her.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 18, 2010 3:24 PM

Oct 2009
Beautiful speech and overall this arc was great.
Nov 9, 2010 2:39 AM

Apr 2008
Wow! Sekishi's first ordinance was... I cried bitch tears just from her speech.

While I feel this arc could have been pased a lot better and Asano annoyed me quite a bit. Then again so did those two spoiled girls in the beginning.

But that conclusion. That character development! And her belief everyone's moral charcter moved me.

This is really the best anime I have seen in a while. If not the best!
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise"
Jan 12, 2011 8:35 PM

May 2010
Damn, I feel like adding Youko to my fav character list now
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 25, 2011 7:46 AM

Aug 2010
A terrific episode. I was enjoying it thoroughly throughout. I like this arc the best out of the rest before, something unexpected when i first started it, as i hate the other 2 girls whom i like now. The characters' development is really something, and it is done realistically to, not some sudden change.

And Youko looks more and more like a queen now. Hopefully she'll have more people on her side. I want to see the other 2 girls as officials!
Apr 1, 2011 6:42 PM

Jan 2009
Well done, Yoko. Reinhard would be so proud of you.
Apr 7, 2011 1:10 PM

Sep 2008
DeadBonesBrook said:
Well done, Yoko. Reinhard would be so proud of you.

QFT bro
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Apr 21, 2011 6:43 AM

May 2008
I have been rewatching this again and again..It's soo epic!

Sep 5, 2011 12:57 PM

Sep 2008
Everyone's said it already: Amazing episode. Amazing speech. Amazing characters. Ahh... The amazing brilliance of this series is blinding. Truly an awesome episode from start to finish! As I said in the last episode's discussion: I'm so glad I stuck with this anime.
Oct 13, 2011 10:15 AM
May 2008
Beatnik said:

Ditto.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Oct 24, 2011 7:52 PM

Jun 2008
Best episode yet. No question about it.

As everyone else has already stated, bravo Youko, bravo.
Aug 11, 2012 5:23 PM

Oct 2009
Absolutely amazing episode! Purely epic!!!
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Sep 1, 2012 7:00 PM

Mar 2011
That was just plain fantastic.
Sep 24, 2012 9:44 PM

Feb 2010
That speech was so awe-inspiring.
May 9, 2013 9:59 PM

Jul 2011
ABOUT DAMN TIME. I wanted awesomeness from this series!!

10/10

Favorite episode so far. The system? Screw that! I"m the Queen and we're doing it my way!

Amazing. Youko has become so amazing. The first episode, I thought she was one of the most terrible female protagonists I have come across. Now she can very well be one of my favorites!
Jun 9, 2013 5:38 AM
Mar 2013
This has to be my all-time favourite anime episode. Yoko is awesome.
Jan 16, 2014 3:08 AM

Apr 2012
wooow if that was the ending of the series and I would have been content.

10/10

Mar 19, 2014 12:16 AM

Jul 2008
YES!!! Yoko has finally gotten it together. She bitchslapped Seikyou and the usurpers, then she tongue lashed the Minister of Law, who should also have been arrested, but instead gets humiliated by being the prosecutor. That was excellent.
Mar 26, 2014 12:40 PM

Aug 2013
That was so awesome. WOW. *slow clap*
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 27, 2014 9:46 AM

Nov 2011
MY GOD

WE NEED TO HAVE EITHER A REBOOT THAT WOULD COVER UP EVERYTHING FROM THE START TO THE END OF THE LATEST FINISHED VOLUME
(because Asano should be removed, not just because everyone hated him but because he never was a part of the original story)[/size], OR A CONTINUATION UP TO WHERE I JUST MENTIONED.

Glorious
Jan 31, 2015 7:27 AM

Jan 2012
what a entrace . kirin look so beautiful with queen,dat ending best queen

Feb 13, 2015 4:17 AM

Jul 2013
Yep,our Youko is growing into a splendid queen.Seems like Keiki picked a good one this time :)
May 1, 2015 9:41 PM
Aug 2008
Sensitive !! This arc itself would get 10 (If not the first two, And I still don't know about the last arc).
Terrific episode ! as everybody said.
May 1, 2015 9:44 PM
Aug 2008
HawthorneKitty said:
Simply awe inspiring. With the start of this series, I felt like it was mediocre, but as this never-ending arc pushed on, I felt too attached to many characters. I can't wait to see what happens next.

There will never be any regret watching this anime.

Exactly the same.
I'm now seeing how people are giving this a good rating! I almost gave up on it being better ! Great politic story with sensitive parts of it and great character development.
It just took to long to get this good. More than 25 episodes of mediocrity in general. It wasn't very well paced at the beginning also.
Aug 4, 2015 8:05 PM

Apr 2013
What a masterpiece of an episode. I could watch Episode 39 over and over again. This was worth the entire buildup throughout this arc (the buildup itself was awesome as well). Youko is such a dank queen. I'd let her rule over me any day.
dankzelAug 6, 2015 4:23 AM
Sep 21, 2015 5:00 PM
May 2015
This was an amazing episode. They should have ended the show there
Nov 10, 2015 1:11 PM

Dec 2013
Incr3dibl3 said:
Yep,our Youko is growing into a splendid queen.Seems like Keiki picked a good one this time :)

Indeed. That he did. Her interest in what's actually happening in her kingdom already puts her way ahead of the previous queen of Kei.

This is the most satisfying arc in this series. My only real gripe is that the Minister of Law wasn't also arrested with the rest of the idiots, but it's enough that she was basically embarrassed by the queen herself while in front of all the other ministers. Let her and the other officials who were arrested be made an example of for other corrupt officials.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Nov 15, 2015 1:59 AM
Aug 2015
I've rewatched episode 39 nearly ten times. It's just so freaking great. From start to finish.

I really wish this series would get a complete bluray sub'd release, as I only see Part 1 and Part 2 on Amazon.

This show deserves the high ratings it gets on MAL.
Dec 21, 2015 5:19 PM

Feb 2013
That would have been a decent series finale. Oh.. there's more...

Asano = useless.
Again with this arc, so many episodes wasted on slow nonsense then the final battle is non-existent. I know battles cost money to animate, but this series would have really benefited from it.
Jan 3, 2016 3:18 AM

Sep 2013
That was epic as fuck....

I didn't even finish the 45 episodes but I want this season 2 already so bad.

By the way, didn't know Asano wasn't in the novels, so like people are saying above, I wouldn't be mad if in a reboot he would be excluded, since his presence didn't make a big part whatsoever in the show.
Apr 8, 2016 6:06 PM

Mar 2013
Wow! I loved it. I love what this anime has become.
Aug 4, 2016 10:29 PM

Jan 2010
I actually applauded after that ending scene. One of the greatest moments I've seen featuring a main character really throwing around their authority.

I will ask this though, as to refrain from going full fanboy mode. What exactly gives a ruler the power to rule over people? It sounds weird, yes, but while the heavens bestow this birthright upon individuals to rule, the people of each kingdom have shown time and time again that they don't necessarily have to follow the ruler's orders. This is both in terms of people doing evil and people correcting injustices. Is it the fear of the heavens punishing you if you disobey their proxy? As another way to put it, a ruler can be deemed unfit to rule by the heavens and is eventually killed after their kirin falls ill. A ruler can also be deposed of by their own subjects as an alternative. While the former is a literal act of the heavens, is the latter also fate having a hand in removing those that have done wrong? If so, then fate's a real jerk for even allowing such people to come into power.

Once again, I'm unsure of how much control each person has in their own destiny within this show. Recalling the tale of Taiki, did choose his king because he was destined to? Was it his own choice? If choice doesn't exist, then why was he given the ability to think for himself? What's the purpose of living, learning, and comprehending if you're just moving along tracks?

I'm really comparing this show hard to Rose of Versailles as far as how it addresses monarchy and destiny, with Rose of Versailles taking the approach of history as opposed to a fictional story with coincidences and happenstance moments occurring one after another, as if it were the hand of fate causing everything to align perfectly. That's a pretty great show to be compared with in my eyes, but I'm almost worried about where Twelve Kingdoms can go to from here. There's still 6 episodes to go and while there's still Yuka's plot in the back burner, I'm unsure of how it's going to measure up to the past couple amazing episodes.

Oh, and by the way, Asano's purpose, at least to me, was to fuel Youko's decision to abolish prostrating since that was the reason for his death. While it was an extremely roundabout way to get that to happen, I think I understand what the show was trying to do. It does attack the very core of every noble's lifestyle, which is a significantly more painful blow than anything related to politics or economics. However, I wasn't really concerned about his existence in the story until Youko decided to bury him within the kingdom, as opposed to sending him back to Japan. Wasn't his entire reason for doing anything in this show was to try and get back? I don't recall him ever being content in the alternate world, so I don't know how Youko interpreted his smile as wanting to remain.

Lastly, to close out this post, here's a great quote by Enho.

"At such an old age, I am still uncertain. Sometimes, I think that rather than preaching the path...cultivating fields and taking up arms have more meaning."

It was later challenged by Youko, but still, it has a lot of weight in a story like this.
ShockedAug 4, 2016 10:43 PM
Oct 16, 2016 9:26 AM

Dec 2007
Episode 39 of The 12 Kingdoms. It is now in my top 10 best episodes of all time for me. Brilliant, beautiful, epic, and inspiring!
Jan 7, 2017 9:53 PM

Jul 2015
Anyone noticed that the end credits song on this ep is quite similar to the Pirates of the Caribbean theme? and this anime was aired a full year before the irst PofC movie came out?
Feb 23, 2017 10:06 AM

May 2015
At first I really had doubts about the quality of this anime, but this arc has come to sweep everything, it's truly exceptional. Just for this arc Juuni Kokuki proves that it's one of the best fantasy anime.
Mar 5, 2017 1:30 PM

Feb 2010
NobodyKnow said:
This was an amazing episode. They should have ended the show there
Yeah, the next arc shouldve just been a special or for a season 2 :(

May 10, 2017 12:18 PM

Jun 2016
I really enjoyed this episode! Especially the ending was quite satisfying. Good one!
Jun 20, 2017 9:36 PM

Oct 2012
I will never understand Asano purpose as a character

Aww those 3 girls are so sweet
They're going to be BFF.. Well maybe not princess because she's not immortal, at least for now :P

Why that "minister" girl didn't get punished?

I like it, I love it
I'm really looking forward for what Kei is going to be
Oh wait there are still 6 episodes left
"Signature removed"
Jul 1, 2017 3:05 AM

Apr 2015
What a goddam slog to get to this awesome episode. Onion ninjas everywhere.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 19 Discussion

Beatnik - Mar 8, 2008

32 by AzafuseKingTora »»
May 8, 12:42 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 18 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 10, 2009

17 by AzafuseKingTora »»
May 8, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 37 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 17, 2009

23 by Beguni »»
May 5, 5:41 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 45 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Predseln - Mar 19, 2009

66 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 29, 11:46 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 44 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 26, 2009

17 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 29, 10:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.