Forum Settings
Forums

[Update 11/10] Final Features Restored & API Development Update

New
Pages (12) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 14, 2018 7:17 AM

Feb 2016
myanimelistllc said:

As part of ongoing efforts to support the anime and manga industry, the Fansub Group section of the site has been removed.

WOW THANKS

that will surely make me buy anime now
Sep 14, 2018 7:32 AM

Feb 2018
myanimelistllc said:

Also, we have mostly finished reviewing all the tasks necessary for completing development. We are planning to start work on the remaining development some time next week.

Development of WHAT ?
Talk is cheap, show me the code.

Almost is not good enough.
Sep 14, 2018 8:45 AM

Oct 2014
The fansub section may have been a dick measuring contest for literal vs liberal subs, but it was useful at gauging reactions for older shows and having warnings like badly timed subs and occasional comments on video quality. Guess it'll just be AniDB and BakaBT now.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Sep 14, 2018 8:58 AM

Feb 2018
Toa_of_Gallifrey said:

Guess it'll just be AniDB and BakaBT now.

Strangely I'm falling in love with BakaBT.
Talk is cheap, show me the code.

Almost is not good enough.
Sep 14, 2018 9:19 AM
Mar 2014
I was hoping the API update would have had more details
Sep 14, 2018 10:13 AM

Oct 2014
myanimelistllc said:
As part of ongoing efforts to support the anime and manga industry, the Fansub Group section of the site has been removed.
Hello,
Fuck you.

Regards
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sep 14, 2018 10:40 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Scheibe said:
I was hoping the API update would have had more details
I think the way to survive decently under Dena is to hope for nothing, so that way you can't be disappointed at least :D
Sep 14, 2018 10:49 AM

Jun 2007
It's been months without the api access and I have tolerated it so far, manually updating my list is a pain in the ass, it was much easier with Mal Updater.

I tolerated it so far, but taking the fansub section just for that stupid reason... just no, I just cancelled my MAL supporter subscription because of this.
Some people already mentioned the reasons why the fansub section should remain on the site, it has nothing to do with "support the anime and manga industry" or not, it was a really useful feature, there are like 5000 different shows, legal streaming sites don't have even half of them.
Sep 14, 2018 11:23 AM
Jul 2018
Removing the fansub section is pretty senseless, it wasn't really useful to me but it really seems like corporate pandering
Sep 14, 2018 11:34 AM

Apr 2013
myanimelistllc said:

"Ongoing efforts to support"

We are currently working a new terms of use for third party application developers. Also, we have mostly finished reviewing all the tasks necessary for completing development. We are planning to start work on the remaining development some time next week.

Sure, you "say" you're "now" about to work on it, but you still haven't explained jackshit about what's been going on, let alone have answered any questions about why there were such problems to begin with that led to this whole mess or what plans you have for the developers moving forward.

Just come clean and say you will get to it "eventually" and that you're tired of us users bombarding you with legit questions and concerns about the process and want us to shut the fuck up.
Sep 14, 2018 11:54 AM

Sep 2008
I don't really care about removing the fansubs from new shows, but seeing the old subs on old anime removed feels like part of the history of MAL and the anime community as a whole was just erased off this site. Most of those fansub groups don't even make fansubs anymore and it was always nostalgic to look back on that stuff. At least for me.
Sep 14, 2018 12:11 PM
Jul 2018
Congratulations DeNA and MAL Staff.

I really appreciate all the work you have put in to restore this site to its former glory.

It's a bit of a bummer that the Fansubs section was removed but I completely understand your incentive.
Sep 14, 2018 12:13 PM

Jul 2008
Iizbakaokay said:
myanimelistllc said:
Hello,
Fuck you.

Regards

^

You know what you should remove Dena?
Your existence.
I'm sure people would support that.

Sep 14, 2018 12:16 PM

Mar 2014
Glad to hear that.
Sep 14, 2018 12:26 PM

Oct 2014
So where is the api update???
Sep 14, 2018 12:27 PM

Jan 2009
Cnon said:

its this paragraph?

We are currently working a new terms of use for third party application developers. Also, we have mostly finished reviewing all the tasks necessary for completing development. We are planning to start work on the remaining development some time next week.
Sep 14, 2018 12:30 PM

Oct 2014
deg said:
Cnon said:

its this paragraph?

feels like announcement of an announcement don't you think? very vague. they can't say what's going on.
Sep 14, 2018 12:30 PM
???

May 2014
Umm removing the fansub section? Well, I understand because of the partnership with Crunchyroll and stuff. You want to show that you don't support fansub and stuff. Well, I hope the API gets fixed fast.

" a scattered dream that's like a far-off memory. a far-off memory that's like a scattered dream. i want to line the pieces up--yours and mine. "

Sep 14, 2018 12:45 PM

Feb 2010
spinninrecorder said:
This should fix my animelist right? It have no thumbnails.

Restore your thumbnails with this

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=439897

they will probably not restore on their own no matter what DENA does - security changes broke that part of your layout, it seems

Maffy said:
I don't think imports are a priority and maybe it's better that way before they remove something else, but! Shishio's club offers very good solutions to imports and cover generators and such. So for anyone who has problems still, do check it out!

Thanks for recommending us, Maffy!
Sep 14, 2018 1:04 PM

Aug 2016
No more fan subs? Then I have no more reason to support this website. Just canceled my subscription. This act was really anti-community.
Sep 14, 2018 1:23 PM
Mar 2012
myanimelistllc said:

Guess we should stop using synopses sourcing fan translation groups and have a disclaimer that users reading/watching unlicensed series know Japanese.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 14, 2018 1:47 PM

Apr 2015
MAL, you aren't Crunchyroll. You're a database. A comprehensive database includes ways to access shows in different languages, AKA fansubs. Please stop.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 14, 2018 1:47 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Shishio-kun said:

I only recommend the best and you're definitely worth it c:
Sep 14, 2018 2:05 PM

Feb 2010
Maffy said:
Shishio-kun said:

I only recommend the best and you're definitely worth it c:

*blush*

Sep 14, 2018 2:26 PM

Oct 2008
Glad to see MAL back at 100! Now, just add Tower of God to the Manga Database, and all will be right in the world :D
Sep 14, 2018 3:04 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Good to see it fixed
Thanks for putting in the hard work; thanks for existing
MAL's a good spot to be & I hope it stays that way
Sep 14, 2018 4:08 PM

Jun 2015
The fansub section was one of the most helpful (though not perfect) features of the site, but I get that you guys need to keep crunch and funi and all those [CENSORED] on board if you wanna make a living so I'm gonna respect the decision.
Sep 14, 2018 5:17 PM
Sep 2018
took a minute
Sep 14, 2018 6:03 PM

Dec 2016
Yeah, finnaly ...
Sep 14, 2018 6:05 PM

Feb 2015
i had no idea fansubs even existed so *shrug*
Sep 14, 2018 7:09 PM

Oct 2014
It's good that MAL is finally mostly back, but the fansub groups section will be missed. I felt some form of personal validation for my work by being on there. It's not like Crunchyroll really supports the industry anyway, they probably just paid Dena to remove the fansub section to try to squeeze more money out of the anime fanbase, which is disgusting, especially since Crunchyroll used to just be a site that hosted fansubs.
Sep 14, 2018 8:00 PM

Aug 2012
myanimelistllc said:

Did CR told you to say this? C'mon be honest!
Sep 14, 2018 8:05 PM

Jul 2009
The removal of the fansub section has made me noticed my bakabt account has been ...removed. Sad times all around.
Sep 14, 2018 8:44 PM
Feb 2018
I think that if you post Chinese cartoon that you naming it as anime is wrong
Sep 14, 2018 8:48 PM

Oct 2008
Zaugr said:
myanimelistllc said:

...What? How does that in any way "support" the industry? It just hurts the community. Fansub groups, if anything, need more love right now. They were doing the vast majority of the work before Crunchyroll ever came about, and have (and still do) helped the international anime community discover how many great animes that would have otherwise never been heard of or licensed abroad? You guys can remove the feature sure, it might not have been popular, but why paint it and fansubs as a force for bad..? That's nothing but insulting. I'm willing to bet that Crunchyroll would have never even come about without all the old fansub groups' role in making anime as widely popular as it is today, nor would so many companies be interested in releasing their films and shows abroad. And god for bid a scenario where the majority would need to rely on Crunchyroll's subs... what with their history of politicizing and changing all manner names and important structure.

And out of all the times, why on Earth would you guys think it'd be good idea to do this now? After all the "recent" shit? For me this was definitely one of the most useful features this site had for whenever I wanted to watch old, forever-unlicensed animes; being able to see which groups subbed it, and see people's feedback on those subs (or give feedback myself).
確かに。Credit taking now at this time? 失望した。
Sep 14, 2018 9:35 PM

Jan 2013
oh well it's not that you took literally 4 months to put everything into place right?

lmao

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Sep 14, 2018 9:45 PM

May 2016
Thank you for your hardwork^^
Sep 14, 2018 10:20 PM

Sep 2016
Good call, the Fansub Group section was awful tbh
Sep 14, 2018 11:17 PM

Jul 2014
Fansub section was one of the most useful feature of this site and you guys had to remove it. F**kin sellouts.
Sep 14, 2018 11:21 PM
Jul 2018
Fansubbing works just fine without MAL.
Sep 15, 2018 12:00 AM

Jun 2007
Zaugr said:
And god for bid a scenario where the majority would need to rely on Crunchyroll's subs...
That's already been the status quo for most of the last decade; so-called "fansubs" for modern/airing anime that get same-day simulcasts are just edited versions of legal subs from CR or other legal sites. And the vast majority of pirates either download the HorribleSubs direct rips of legal streams, or (more commonly) watch re-encodes of HS on bootleg stream sites.

So while I hate to see the section go as well, it doesn't do much good for modern shows where all the subs are barely distinguishable. For older shows, you're only likely to find either the generally-agreed best fansub version, or R1DVD-rips. And the super-obscure titles only have one subbed version anyway.

Though perhaps this decision will breathe more life into the sleepy AniDB release group comments/forums.
Sep 15, 2018 12:35 AM

Aug 2008
Sure, it's not like fansub groups released never licensed series or do better job at translating than crap like CR or Funi. Just remove one of the foundations of the site, see how it works. Putting aside what a load of bull the argument about funsubs harming the industry is.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Sep 15, 2018 12:53 AM

Dec 2015
I think it's okay that the fansub section got removed. Never really used it. I mean: It was basically only a list of groups that subbed stuff + some kind of profile page for the group with links + simple voting (plus or minus button to vote up or down) ... maybe some comments which not really that many people seemed to use.

Nowadays with official streams real fansubs aren't needed in most cases. For older stuff the websites of the old sub groups might not be online anymore.

In those cases (as well for newer stuff that still needs "real" fansubs) it usually is much better to just look for them directly. I mean there are tons of sites. Sites that list ddl and torrents and trackers for torrents where the people directly commend on each file.

+ AniDB that lists the subs/groups for each episode (listing which group subbed which episode) - which is much better.

So that little section here on MAL never had been a big deal to me since there always have been better options.
Sep 15, 2018 1:58 AM
Apr 2015
I'm a developer for a MAL app which has around 5K users per day. How do I stay in touch about API updates with you guys?
Sep 15, 2018 2:26 AM

Dec 2013
It really is an understatement to just say how wrong it was to remove the fansub voting. Incredibly ironic it also came a day after praising the feature...

EDIT: I've been using this feature for what I recall to be years for older releases.
kairyu-shinSep 15, 2018 4:22 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2018 3:38 AM

Aug 2014
myanimelistllc said:

Removing fansubs to support the industry? Let's be more honest and say it's in an attempt to be more advertiser friendly. Companies are probably a bit more iffy about working with MAL knowing that it offers helpful info about who subbed what and who did it best cause saying it's to support to industry is either ignorant or dishonest. Fansubs and scanlations let people experience anime and manga before western publishers even knew what those words mean. They continue to do so to this day by either translating works that don't have official translations or offering higher quality translations than companies that ask money for it. If they didn't exist I doubt MAL's userbase would be even half as big and Crunchyroll wouldn't even exist to begin with without their less than legal origins.

Existence of other sites that provide this feature doesn't make MAL's reasoning any better.
Sep 15, 2018 4:47 AM
Mar 2017
NOTZUNJAE said:
I'm a developer for a MAL app which has around 5K users per day. How do I stay in touch about API updates with you guys?

Wouldn't expect a response as cooperation has been tried by many developers before, DeNa was working with them to create the new API (brainstorming / suggestions etc..) but pulled the plug and made it an private API instead next to the then outdated public one.

This whole situation is just handled poorly and this API update without any clear details or schedule just means they're clueless.

Sep 15, 2018 5:54 AM

Aug 2012
I understand why the fansub section has to be removed, but I'm not a fan of trying to justify it with shallow lies. Meh, we all know the reason why.
Sep 15, 2018 6:21 AM

Aug 2016
5layer said:
I don't really care about removing the fansubs from new shows, but seeing the old subs on old anime removed feels like part of the history of MAL and the anime community as a whole was just erased off this site. Most of those fansub groups don't even make fansubs anymore and it was always nostalgic to look back on that stuff. At least for me.

Dude, seriously... This is pretty upsetting. Just yesterday I was comparing the fansubs for Bakemonogatari using MAL. It's really sad to think all those comments I read and votes I saw are gone now.
Sep 15, 2018 7:36 AM

Feb 2012
aww, shame about the fansubs section. I actually used it to get an opinion for ancient anime with like 7 different subbed versions.
Pages (12) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

211 by niladribarua »»
5 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 6:46 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.